CSGnet archive

[From Dag Forssell (2009.04.27 18:10 PDT)]

I have been able to convert, sort and fix some errors in the CSGnet Eudora files provided by Martin Taylor. CSGnet is now more searchable than ever.
A summary of files available is attached.

Best, Dag

CSGnetReadMe.pdf (78 Bytes)

[From Dag Forssell (2009.04.27 18:10 PDT)]

I have been able to convert, sort and fix some errors in the CSGnet
Eudora files provided by Martin Taylor. CSGnet is now more searchable
than ever.
A summary of files available is attached.

Best, Dag

CSGnetReadMe.pdf (76.8 KB)

[From Dag Forssell (2007.05.23.1645 PST)]

[Martin Taylor 2007.05.23.14.41]
(snip)
I've now recovered the paper in which I cite Marken for the predictor model: the reference is "a message on the CSG-L mailing list April 13. 1995". I'm afraid I don't have that archived, and I can't find the relevant archives on the web any more. Maybe someone else can.

I posted the archive perhaps a year ago, but did not repost when I changed ISP last August. I just uploaded 190 MB to

www.pctresources.com/csgnet_archives/

As I refine that site before long, the later years will consist of Eudora mailboxes with indidivual messages rather than Word files by month. Digests (which is what I have archived all along) deteriorated as email incorporated htm code and the digests began providing each message one with and once without htm code.

Upload in progress as I send this.

Best, Dag

[From Dag Forssell (2008 12.01 9:30 PST)]

I am in the process of setting up www.pctresources.com, including a complete record of CSGnet mail.

Through 1996, the record consists of Word files by month, created along the way. This is not very searchable, because each file is rather large. But the record is complete and easy to read.

Starting with 1997, I will make available individual posts in Eudora mailbox format, along with a folder with attachments. Eudora is now in the public domain, so PCTers will be able to download it, too.

Also starting in 1997, I will provide zipped daily digests in text format. These contain enclosed files in UUencoded format.

Indidivual posts from 1997 through 2003 are courtesy of Bruce Nevin, who sent me a CD with these four years ago. At that time, I started a duplicate subscription to CSGnet, getting both digests and individual posts.

Bruce used the same address for personal mail and CSGnet posts, but thanks to the Boolean search capability in Eudora, I have been able to separate out all private posts, leaving a clean CSGnet record.

Unfortunately, Bruce's backup system suffered hickups in 2000, so I do not have the first six months of 2000 as individual posts.

Can someone send me a CD with CSGnet in a Eudora .mbx file (or several) for 2000, or upload to my ftp site? It will be much appreciated.

Please let me know and I will provide coordinates.

Best, Dag

I have posted to csgarchive@pctresources.com (from my old computer) a zip file containing six text files (Eudora mailboxes) containing the 6 months you want. It isn't exactly what you asked for, but if nobody has them in a better format, at least you should be able to split out the individual messages with a text editor.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Dag Forssell wrote:

ยทยทยท

[From Dag Forssell (2008 12.01 9:30 PST)]

I am in the process of setting up www.pctresources.com, including a complete record of CSGnet mail.

Through 1996, the record consists of Word files by month, created along the way. This is not very searchable, because each file is rather large. But the record is complete and easy to read.

Starting with 1997, I will make available individual posts in Eudora mailbox format, along with a folder with attachments. Eudora is now in the public domain, so PCTers will be able to download it, too.

Also starting in 1997, I will provide zipped daily digests in text format. These contain enclosed files in UUencoded format.

Indidivual posts from 1997 through 2003 are courtesy of Bruce Nevin, who sent me a CD with these four years ago. At that time, I started a duplicate subscription to CSGnet, getting both digests and individual posts.

Bruce used the same address for personal mail and CSGnet posts, but thanks to the Boolean search capability in Eudora, I have been able to separate out all private posts, leaving a clean CSGnet record.

Unfortunately, Bruce's backup system suffered hickups in 2000, so I do not have the first six months of 2000 as individual posts.

Can someone send me a CD with CSGnet in a Eudora .mbx file (or several) for 2000, or upload to my ftp site? It will be much appreciated.

Please let me know and I will provide coordinates.

Best, Dag