"Cycles of Conflict" paper

[From Kent McClelland (2014.06.25.1200 CDT)]

A paper of mine based on a PCT computational model has now been officially published by Sociological Theory.

Here is the citation:

McClelland, Kent. 2014. "Cycles of Conflict: A Computational Modeling Alternative to Collins's Theory of Conflict Escalation." SOCIOLOGICAL THEORY 32(2): 100-127. DOI: 10.1177/0735275114536387

The final version of the article doesn't differ in substance from the prepublication manuscript that I posted on CSGnet a month or two ago, but it looks a little nicer. The publisher's rules prohibit me from posting the final version, but I would be happy to send a pdf to anyone who contacts me directly (not through CSGnet).

Kent
mcclel@grinnell.edu

Hi Kent

this is me raising my hand. Congrats!

Will
you want to list this as a bullet in your bio in the new book?

Alice

Alice Powers McElhone
Benchmark Publications
Inc.
73 Essex Avenue #6
Bloomfield, NJ 07003

[From Kent McClelland (2014.06.25.1200 CDT)]

A paper of mine based on a PCT computational model has
now been officially
published by Sociological Theory.

Here is the citation:

McClelland, Kent.

1. "Cycles of Conflict: A Computational Modeling

Alternative to Collins’s Theory of Conflict Escalation."
SOCIOLOGICAL

THEORY 32(2): 100-127. DOI:
10.1177/0735275114536387

The final version of the
article doesn’t differ in substance from the
prepublication
manuscript that I posted on CSGnet a month or two ago, but
it
looks a little nicer. The publisher’s rules prohibit me from posting
the final version, but I would be happy to send a pdf to anyone
who

···

contacts me directly (not through CSGnet).

Kent
mcclel@grinnell.edu

Hi Alice,

Yes, it would be great to have the citation for the final version listed in my bio. I think there is already a bullet listing this paper, but it isn't cited in its final version. Thanks!

Kent

I'm not sure whether you wanted a copy of the pdf, but here it is, just in case.

Sociological Theory-2014-McClelland-100-27.pdf (1.01 MB)

ATT00001.txt (55 Bytes)

[From Rick Marken (2014.06.25.1410)

···

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:47 PM, McClelland, Kent MCCLEL@grinnell.edu wrote:

Hi Alice,

Yes, it would be great to have the citation for the final version listed in my bio. I think there is already a bullet listing this paper, but it isn’t cited in its final version. Thanks!

Kent

I’m not sure whether you wanted a copy of the pdf, but here it is, just in case.

RM: Ah, you committed my error of sending a reprint to the net thinking it was being sent to just one person. But I think it’s one of those good kind of mistakes – like the mold that contaminated Fleming’s bacteria culture; I’m glad to have the published version even though I do have the final pre-publication version.

Thanks and congratulations!

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

Arghh! I hope the publisher doesn’t come after me! I tried to follow the rules. To err is characteristic of a perceptual control system, I guess.

Kent

···

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:47 PM, McClelland, Kent
MCCLEL@grinnell.edu wrote:

Hi Alice,

Yes, it would be great to have the citation for the final version listed in my bio. I think there is already a bullet listing this paper, but it isn’t cited in its final version. Thanks!

Kent

I’m not sure whether you wanted a copy of the pdf, but here it is, just in case.

RM: Ah, you committed my error of sending a reprint to the net thinking it was being sent to just one person. But I think it’s one of those good kind of mistakes – like the mold that contaminated Fleming’s bacteria culture; I’m glad to have the published version
even though I do have the final pre-publication version.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2014.06.26.1500)]

···

Arghh! I hope the publisher doesn’t come after me! I tried to follow the rules. To err is characteristic of a perceptual control system, I guess.

RM: Yes, there seems to have been no intent on your part (though we would have to do the test just to be sure;-) but I think you’ll get off with a manslaughter (or publishing rule slaughter) charge;-)

RM: On that note (the note of testing for controlled variables) I put up another demo at http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Size.html and I’d like to get some reviews from PCT people. It’s a replication of the “size control” test that I discussed in an old paper of mine that was published in Wayne Hershberger’s “Conation and Control” collection. I’d like to know if a) it works and b) whether the write-up is comprehensible.

Best

Rick

Kent

On Jun 25, 2014, at 4:12 PM, Richard Marken wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.06.25.1410)

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:47 PM, McClelland, Kent
MCCLEL@grinnell.edu wrote:

Hi Alice,

Kent

RM: Ah, you committed my error of sending a reprint to the net thinking it was being sent to just one person. But I think it’s one of those good kind of mistakes – like the mold that contaminated Fleming’s bacteria culture; I’m glad to have the published version
even though I do have the final pre-publication version.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD

www.mindreadings.com

Oddly, or maybe not, I just reread your bio before sending a batch off to
my copyeditor as a sample for the unfinished ones. and blushed when i
realized of course you’d already listed this publication. GOOD JOB!
you guys are batting 1000 on keeping the lamp burning.

I have
added your paper to my growing library of smart guys’ works.

Alice

Hi Alice,

Yes, it would be
great to have the citation for the final version listed
in my
bio. I think there is already a bullet listing this paper, but it
isn’t cited in its final version. Thanks!

Kent

I’m not sure whether you wanted a copy of the
pdf, but here it is, just in

···

case.