Dad

Rest in peace, William T. Powers…

Today marks the one-year anniversary of dad’s passing. He certainly left his mark on this world with his many years of toil with PCT. He combined and influenced so many brilliant minds. I know he was honored to have the likes of all of you actively participating in this endeavor.

He raised the bar in my mind as to what a quality human being is all about; steadfast morals and ethics, patience and perseverance, and standing up for one’s belief in the truth.

Thank you all for continuing to examine his work, finding new applications, and inviting any and all interested parties to join this interesting and eclectic group.

Also, we honor him this weekend as a veteran, as he served in the Navy for a few years at the end of WWII. Allie, Sarah and I will be laying his ashes to rest next to Mom’s on Monday morning.

Love you, Dad.

*bara

imagesCATOV0CJ.jpg

pic1628070_t[1].jpg

[From Rick Marken (2013.05.25.1050)]

···

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM, bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

RM: What a beautiful reminder of what we lost one year ago. Your Dad had a beautiful way of thinking and relating to others. He was a wonderful role model as a thinker and human being who also happened to make what I think is one of the most important contributions of all time to our understanding of ourselves and our relationship to others and the world around us.

Instead of reciting Kaddish, I am remembering the anniversary of Bill’s passing in what I think are two far more appropriate ways: with the publication of my third book on PCT, a collection of papers entitled Doing Research on Purpose: A Control Theory Approach to Experimental Psychology and by attending the reception recognizing the dedication of Bill Powers’s works in the Archives at Northwestern University.

My book should be out by the end of June and it is not only dedicated to the memory of Bill Powers but wouldn’t have been possible without Bill’s remarkable insights and personal assistance. [There should be a formal announcement of its availability soon from the publisher, new view; I hope everyone on CSGNet buys a copy because the publisher took a big financial risk in producing this book and I don’t think it’s likely to be a big hit with the experimental psychology community.] And the reception for the Archive dedication is on August 2 at Northwestern (there was an announcement of the event sent out to CSGNet about two weeks ago with the subject head “ANNOUNCING THE ARCHIVE PROJECT NEWS”) and I am very much looking forward to attending that event as well; I hope some of your on CSGNet can also attend.

So thanks again, Barb, for sending out this reminder of the anniversary of your Dad’s passing. The world has been too much with me, late and soon, so it almost passed me by unnoticed. It’s really nice to devote some time to remembering your wonderful father (and my wonderful teacher).

Best regards

Rick

Today marks the one-year anniversary of dad’s passing. He certainly left his mark on this world with his many years of toil with PCT. He combined and influenced so many brilliant minds. I know he was honored to have the likes of all of you actively participating in this endeavor.

He raised the bar in my mind as to what a quality human being is all about; steadfast morals and ethics, patience and perseverance, and standing up for one’s belief in the truth.

Thank you all for continuing to examine his work, finding new applications, and inviting any and all interested parties to join this interesting and eclectic group.

Also, we honor him this weekend as a veteran, as he served in the Navy for a few years at the end of WWII. Allie, Sarah and I will be laying his ashes to rest next to Mom’s on Monday morning.

Love you, Dad.

*bara

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. – Upton Sinclair

Rick, thank you as always for your warm thoughts. As I said to another member, I’m aware that you all are in the midst of your busy lives as well. No offense would ever be taken for not remembering this exact date. There is daily proof that Dad’s memory lives on, and lives strong in many of you.

Congratulations on the publication of your book! I’ll be sure to add it to my library. I continue to peddle PCT to anyone who will listen. I seem to meet people fairly regularly who are psychologists of one sort or another, and regularly point them in the direction of the CSG network.

We’re looking forward to this event in August, and to catching up with those of you who are able to attend.

Best,

*barb

···

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2013.05.25.1050)]

On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 5:12 PM, bara0361@gmail.com bara0361@gmail.com wrote:

RM: What a beautiful reminder of what we lost one year ago. Your Dad had a beautiful way of thinking and relating to others. He was a wonderful role model as a thinker and human being who also happened to make what I think is one of the most important contributions of all time to our understanding of ourselves and our relationship to others and the world around us.

Instead of reciting Kaddish, I am remembering the anniversary of Bill’s passing in what I think are two far more appropriate ways: with the publication of my third book on PCT, a collection of papers entitled Doing Research on Purpose: A Control Theory Approach to Experimental Psychology and by attending the reception recognizing the dedication of Bill Powers’s works in the Archives at Northwestern University.

My book should be out by the end of June and it is not only dedicated to the memory of Bill Powers but wouldn’t have been possible without Bill’s remarkable insights and personal assistance. [There should be a formal announcement of its availability soon from the publisher, new view; I hope everyone on CSGNet buys a copy because the publisher took a big financial risk in producing this book and I don’t think it’s likely to be a big hit with the experimental psychology community.] And the reception for the Archive dedication is on August 2 at Northwestern (there was an announcement of the event sent out to CSGNet about two weeks ago with the subject head “ANNOUNCING THE ARCHIVE PROJECT NEWS”) and I am very much looking forward to attending that event as well; I hope some of your on CSGNet can also attend.

So thanks again, Barb, for sending out this reminder of the anniversary of your Dad’s passing. The world has been too much with me, late and soon, so it almost passed me by unnoticed. It’s really nice to devote some time to remembering your wonderful father (and my wonderful teacher).

Best regards

Rick

Love you, Dad.

*bara

Richard S. Marken PhD
www.mindreadings.com
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it. – Upton Sinclair