Evidence for HPCT

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.07 07:00)]

In November 2007, Frans Plooij was the Invited foreign lecturer at the annual conference of the Japanese FOUR WINDS for infant mental health. Last May, I got my first glimpse of the two PowerPoint presentations Frans prepared.

It has taken a fair amount of work, but the first is now posted here:
http://www.thewonderweeks.com/files/extras.html

Slides 30 through 33 hold what to me is powerful evidence relating to the emergence of our ability to perceive events and sequences. I trust all PCTers will enjoy the entire presentation.

Best, Dag

[From Dick Robertson,2009.09.071131CDT]

An elegant job Dag. I have one question about viewing. I could not find any way to have the lecture proceed automatically. I had to be very careful scrolling so as not to overrun the next slide. Is there a way to get it to scroll automatically that I missed?

Best,

Dick R

···

----- Original Message -----
Date: Monday, September 7, 2009 9:12 am
Subject: Evidence for HPCT
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.07 07:00)]

In November 2007, Frans Plooij was the Invited foreign lecturer
at
the annual conference of the Japanese FOUR WINDS for infant
mental
health. Last May, I got my first glimpse of the two PowerPoint
presentations Frans prepared.

Slides 30 through 33 hold what to me is powerful evidence
relating to
the emergence of our ability to perceive events and sequences. I
trust all PCTers will enjoy the entire presentation.

Best, Dag

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.07 11:1

Dick Robertson,2009.09.071131CDT]

An elegant job Dag. I have one question about viewing. I could not find any way to have the lecture proceed automatically. I had to be very careful scrolling so as not to overrun the next slide. Is there a way to get it to scroll automatically that I missed?

Dick, scroolling automatically I do not know about, but regarding being careful: In Acrobat, click on View / Page Display and check Single Page. Then click on View / Zoom and set Fit Page. Now, whether you use the scroll bar (the white space below the scroll button) or the Page down arrow in the menu bar, you should see one whole page and proceed one page at a time.

Does this help? Perhaps I should post instructions to this effect on the web page and even in the files themselves.

Best, Dag

Dick, scroolling automatically I do not know about, but regarding being careful: In Acrobat, click on View / Page Display and check Single Page. Then click on View / Zoom and set Fit Page. Now, whether you use the scroll bar (the white space below the scroll button) or the Page down arrow in the menu bar, you should see one whole page and proceed one page at a time.

Does this help? Perhaps I should post instructions to this effect on the web page and even in the files themselves.

Best, Dag

[From Bill Powers (2009.09.07.1221 MDT)]

Dag Forssell (2009.09.07 07:00) --

Slides 30 through 33 hold what to me is powerful evidence relating to the emergence of our ability to perceive events and sequences. I trust all PCTers will enjoy the entire presentation.

I'm probably as astonished as anyone at the fit of the levels I proposed with Frans and Hetty's data. I did notice one level that didn't have a label from my series -- and then realized that perhaps it should be called sensations, while the first level is intensities. See what Frans thinks.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Dick Robertson.2009.09.07.13390/CDT]

OK, I did get one page at a time by scrolling down with my mouse wheel. It’s just that I had to move the wheel carefully. I’ll try your suggestion.

Best,

Dick R

···

----- Original Message -----
Date: Monday, September 7, 2009 1:17 pm
Subject: Re: Evidence for HPCT
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU

An elegant job Dag. I have one question about viewing. I could
not
find any way to have the lecture proceed automatically. I had
to be
very careful scrolling so as not to overrun the next slide. Is
there
a way to get it to scroll automatically that I missed?

Dick, scroolling automatically I do not know about, but
regarding
being careful: In Acrobat, click on View / Page Display and
check
Single Page. Then click on View / Zoom and set Fit Page. Now,
whether
you use the scroll bar (the white space below the scroll button)
or
the Page down arrow in the menu bar, you should see one whole
page
and proceed one page at a time.

Does this help? Perhaps I should post instructions to this
effect on
the web page and even in the files themselves.

Best, Dag

[From Rick Marken (2009.09.07.1050)]

Dag Forssell (2009.09.07 07:00)–

These are terrific, Dag! Thanks for doing this. And, yes, slides 30-33 (actually 33 and 34) seem like very good evidence for the emergence of the ability to perceive (and thus control) events and sequences. I wish the slides (or audio) contained a description of the study itself. For example, what we the events and sequences that the child was asked to control? I imagine they were puzzles of some kind put it would be nice to know what the child was actually asked to do. Also, I don’t understand the ordinate (Y axis) of the two graphs. It says that what is plotted is the cumulative number of task items completed successfully. If this is true, then why to the graphs for some kids dip down?

By the way, I looked at the correlation between weeks and cumulative correct for the sequence control graph and the result is a correlation of .86. Not bad but still not up in the range that Bill and Richard consider to be “real” data. Based on this correlation I wonder whether Bill would reconsider his evaluation of how well this evidence supports his theory. Of course, I think it’s very good evidence but I wonder if Bill also thinks so.

Also, if the performance measured on theordinate is actually cumulative then the observed correlation between weeks and performance (.86) is artificially high because the increase in scores with weeks is virtually guaranteed by the accumulation, as long as the kid just gets one right each time. I looked at the correlation of weeks with my estimates of the number correct each week (by subtracting the previous from the present week’s cumulative score) and I get a correlation of -.15 for subject 1 and .56 for subject 2. Are we still looking at good evidence for the development of sequence control?

I think it’s important that we get more details on what is in slides slides 33 and 34. What were the events and sequences that the kids were to control and what were the measures of performance (on the Y axis).

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[Dag Forssell (2009.09.08 12:05)]

…snip

I think it’s important that we get more details on what is in slides slides 33 and 34. What were the events and sequences that the kids were to control and what were the measures of performance (on the Y axis).

Right now, Frans is not very available. His (and mine) priorities are very focused. I propose to ask next time I visit him in The Netherlands.

In the meantime, you will have to be glad for what you got.

Best, Dag

[Dag Forssell (2009.09.08 12:05)]

...snip
I think it's important that we get more details on what is in slides slides 33 and 34. What were the events and sequences that the kids were to control and what were the measures of performance (on the Y axis).

Right now, Frans is not very available. His (and mine) priorities are very focused. I propose to ask next time I visit him in The Netherlands.

In the meantime, you will have to be glad for what you got.

Best, Dag

[From Bill Powers (2009.09.08.1207 MDT)]

Rick Marken (2009.09.07.1050) --

RM: By the way, I looked at the correlation between weeks and cumulative correct for the sequence control graph and the result is a correlation of .86. Not bad but still not up in the range that Bill and Richard consider to be "real" data. Based on this correlation I wonder whether Bill would reconsider his evaluation of how well this evidence supports his theory. Of course, I think it's very good evidence but I wonder if Bill also thinks so.

According to David G's post some time ago:

···

============================================================================
The Zumastat statistics program describes CLES as follows:

This utility converts a correlation to a Common Language Effect Size (CLES).

The CLES tells you the probability that a randomly selected individual who is above the mean on X will also be above the mean on Y. It also reflects the probability that a randomly selected individual who has a higher score than another person on X will also have a higher score than that person on Y

ZumaStat also expresses these values in terms of odds, which are a bit easier to interpret.

I noticed that the results correspond to Table 2, second column entitled Prob. of correct sign estimation.

The odds are as follows:
.2 1.3 to 1
.5 2.0 to 1
.8 3.9 to 1
.866 5.0 to 1
.9 6.0 to 1"

===========================================================================

I'm not sure what variables you were correlating -- could you explain? What does that word "cumulative" in the figure mean?

What I see in the figure is that three of the four babies started increasing the number of sequence variables controlled within three weeks of each other while one of them didn't seem to improve much. At a correlation of 0.86 the odds of something or other are 5 to 1; I guess that means that predictions of the something on the basis of the probabilities would be wrong about 1 time in 6, which isn't too bad if being wrong isn't terribly important. The actual data seem to show that you'd be wrong about 1 baby in 4 here, not too great. I don't see what is being predicted, however.

Also, if the performance measured on the ordinate is actually cumulative then the observed correlation between weeks and performance (.86) is artificially high because the increase in scores with weeks is virtually guaranteed by the accumulation, as long as the kid just gets one right each time. I looked at the correlation of weeks with my estimates of the number correct each week (by subtracting the previous from the present week's cumulative score) and I get a correlation of -.15 for subject 1 and .56 for subject 2. Are we still looking at good evidence for the development of sequence control?

I don't know -- depends on what you're trying to predict. I'm pleased to see that the population data show the peaks in the correct order, with zero occurances about halfway between the peaks. Does that really imply that there were no individuals who developed the levels in the wrong order? That would be very surprising, though gratifying. As to predicting the exact week at which the new level would start to appear, I would expect that to vary a lot from one baby to another; in fact I seem to recall questioning Frans on that subject some years ago. It didn't really seem possible that development would occur on such a strict timetable that there would be NO overlap in the groupings, all the way to the end. Surely some babies would develop the 6th level before at least some others developed the 5th! I still find that strict ordering somewhat incredible.

Is there a way to calculate a probabilty that the ordering of the steps between levels is off by N steps?

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2009.09.08.2200)]

Bill Powers (2009.09.08.1207 MDT)

I’m not sure what variables you were correlating – could you explain? What does that word “cumulative” in the figure mean?

I correlated the week number against the “controlled items cumulative” (y axis) value for each baby for just the sequence control graph. That’s what gave me the .86 correlation. This was for 50 observations, the total for all four babies. Then, taking “controlled items cumulative” at its name, I correlated week with what I took to be the number solved each week, which would be, for week n, the y value in week n minus the y number in week n-1. I did this for only two babies (1 and 2, I believe), resulting in correlations of -.20 for one and .56 for the other. As I said in my post, I don’t know what “controlled items cumulative” really means; I don’t think it can mean " cumulative solved" since some of the curves go down, giving negative values for the number correct. I think that, in order to make any sense of these data graphs we have to know 1) what the kids were controlling (what were considered events and sequences) and 2) what is the dependent variable (“controlled items cumulative”).

What I see in the figure is that three of the four babies started increasing the number of sequence variables controlled within three weeks of each other while one of them didn’t seem to improve much. At a correlation of 0.86 the odds of something or other are 5 to 1; I guess that means that predictions of the something on the basis of the probabilities would be wrong about 1 time in 6, which isn’t too bad if being wrong isn’t terribly important. The actual data seem to show that you’d be wrong about 1 baby in 4 here, not too great. I don’t see what is being predicted, however.

I don’t see anything being predicted here either, any more than I see anything being predicted in my measure of the relationship between taxes and growth. What is being done in both cases is seeing whether there is evidence for a relationship between two variables; taxes and growth in one case, time (in weeks) and control ability (measured in a still unknown way) in the other.

I don’t know – depends on what you’re trying to predict. I’m pleased to see that the population data show the peaks in the correct order, with zero occurances about halfway between the peaks.

What population data? What peaks? Which graphs are your referring to?

Does that really imply that there were no individuals who developed the levels in the wrong order? That would be very surprising, though gratifying.

Right, overall, comparing the “event” and “sequence” graph, all kids seem to develop the ability to control events before they control sequences.

As to predicting the exact week at which the new level would start to appear, I would expect that to vary a lot from one baby to another;

I would imagine that that’s true. My correlations are not an attempt to predict the exact week when a control skill develops; I’m just looking for an increase in control skill with weeks. Since kids develop this skill at somewhat different times (presumably) the most interesting correlations are the one’s for each individual subject. But we can’t really compute these correlations knowledgeably until we know what the dependent variable was in these experiments. What, that is, is “controlled items cumulative”?

Is there a way to calculate a probabilty that the ordering of the steps between levels is off by N steps?

I bet Richard could do that easily; that would be an excellent test. But right now it looks like we have evidence for N = 2 levels: events and sequences. At least that’s all I see in the slides. If there is evidence that all babies develop N=10 levels of control in the same order, then I think someone’s got a great Science paper.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.0610)]

Rick Marken (2009.09.08.2200)]

I’m not sure what variables you were correlating – could you explain? What does that word “cumulative” in the figure mean?

Rick,

Have you read the book? Have you even downloaded and read the four page flyer you passed on your way to these pdf slide shows? Hint: the intro chapter is included in the Book of Readings. The book is available at Amazon.com. I have provided enough links.

What I cannot understand is why you have to figure and question whether these correlations are high or low when the raw data, the chart, is right in front of you.

Oh, perhaps I do understand. My best subject in engineering school was “Strength of Materials”. To this day, I cannot examine a bridge, leaning tower, sailboat mast or building without visualizing stresses and strains running around. If correlations is the only thing you understand, you are going to be seeking out correlations all over the place, as indeed you do.

Best, Dag

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.0610)]

I'm not sure what variables you were correlating -- could you explain? What does that word "cumulative" in the figure mean?

Rick,

Have you read the book? Have you even downloaded and read the four page flyer you passed on your way to these pdf slide shows? Hint: the intro chapter is included in the Book of Readings. The book is available at Amazon.com. I have provided enough links.

What I cannot understand is why you have to figure and question whether these correlations are high or low when the raw data, the chart, is right in front of you.

Oh, perhaps I do understand. My best subject in engineering school was "Strength of Materials". To this day, I cannot examine a bridge, leaning tower, sailboat mast or building without visualizing stresses and strains running around. If correlations is the only thing you understand, you are going to be seeking out correlations all over the place, as indeed you do.

Best, Dag

[From Rick Marken (2009.09.09.1055)]

Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.0610)]

Rick,

Why are you asking me? It was Bill who asked what the word “cumulative” means in the description of the y axis in the figures. But if the answer to this is in the slides why not just tell us what “controlled items cumulative” means?

But we don’t know what the data represent. I know what “weeks” means on the x axis but neither Bill nor I know what “controlled items cumulative” means on the y axis. No, I haven’t read that particular book carefully all the way though but I have read other stuff by Franz and I think it’s darn good. Does the book describe this research project and explain the data? If so, could you tell us what “controlled items cumulative” means in those graphs.

Oh, perhaps I do understand. My best subject in engineering school was “Strength of Materials”. To this day, I cannot examine a bridge, leaning tower, sailboat mast or building without visualizing stresses and strains running around. If correlations is the only thing you understand, you are going to be seeking out correlations all over the place, as indeed you do.

I calculated the correlations, which are just a numerical representation of one aspect (the relationship between age and performance) of the “raw data that is right in front of you”, to see whether relatively low correlations would be seen as acceptable when they are produced as evidence in support of PCT but not when they provide evidence that seem to contradict an economic theory supported by would-be adherents to PCT. In the process of calculating these correlations I discovered that the data labeled “controlled items cumulative” could not possibly be cumulative (in the sense I understand that term) because the graph sometimes dips down to the right. This shouldn’t happen if the “cumulative” data represents an accumulation of the number of correct solutions over weeks. For example, consider these data

Week 1 2 3 4 5 6
P(C) 0 1 2 3 1 0
cum 0 1 3 6 7 7

Where P(C) is the proportion correct each week and cum is the cumulative proportion correct (P(C) week n + P(C) week n-1). Note that cum always increases or stays steady.It can’t decrease unless there is a negative value for P(C). If there can be negative values for P(C) then I would have to know how they compute P(C).

I’m not impugning Franz’ data; I think he does great work. It’s just that it’s not clear to me what the data in slides 33 and 34 show. I would like to know what were the event and sequence that were controlled and how was success at control measured (what does “controlled items cumulative” mean).

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.12:10)]

[Rick Marken (2009.09.09.1055)]

snip

But we don’t know what the data represent. I know what “weeks” means on the x axis but neither Bill nor I know what “controlled items cumulative” means on the y axis.

OK, I see what you mean.

The problem is “cumulative” in “controlled items cumulative”. I would read it as “controlled items as a function of time” or “controlled items by week”. I do not think for a moment that there is addition, or cumulation going on other than in the sense that the baby becomes more and more capable.

As I read it, the chart shows how many tasks the baby responded to or “controlled” at what week.

I think of the story Frans told at our conference north of Berlin in 1998. The Lego toy company came its consultant, Frans, with a handle, spring and bob. A baby would hold the handle and wave it so the spring and bob would sway from side to side. Aha, Frans said. “That is an event. Label the toy for Four months.” Smashing success. Babies would be entertained for hours just watching the bob sway back and forth. They are not capable of perceiving anything more complex at that age. Unfortunately, the little round bob would come off, becoming a choking hazard. Lego had to recall 300,000 toys.

So displaying a rhytmic movement would be one of the many tests for perception of events, I would think. See also the video with the boy shaking a doll at the end of the slide show.

To me, the chart just shows how many such events each baby responded to.

Now look at the chart. Do you need statistical analysis?

Best, Dag

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.12:10)]

[Rick Marken (2009.09.09.1055)]

snip

But we don't know what the data represent. I know what "weeks" means on the x axis but neither Bill nor I know what "controlled items cumulative" means on the y axis.

OK, I see what you mean.

The problem is "cumulative" in "controlled items cumulative". I would read it as "controlled items as a function of time" or "controlled items by week". I do not think for a moment that there is addition, or cumulation going on other than in the sense that the baby becomes more and more capable.

As I read it, the chart shows how many tasks the baby responded to or "controlled" at what week.

I think of the story Frans told at our conference north of Berlin in 1998. The Lego toy company came its consultant, Frans, with a handle, spring and bob. A baby would hold the handle and wave it so the spring and bob would sway from side to side. Aha, Frans said. "That is an event. Label the toy for Four months." Smashing success. Babies would be entertained for hours just watching the bob sway back and forth. They are not capable of perceiving anything more complex at that age. Unfortunately, the little round bob would come off, becoming a choking hazard. Lego had to recall 300,000 toys.

So displaying a rhytmic movement would be one of the many tests for perception of events, I would think. See also the video with the boy shaking a doll at the end of the slide show.

Best, Dag

[From Rick Marken
(2009.09.08.2200)]

I’m not sure what variables you were correlating – could you
explain? What does that word “cumulative” in the figure
mean?

RM: I correlated the week number
against the “controlled items cumulative” (y axis) value for
each baby for just the sequence control graph. That’s what gave me the
.86 correlation. This was for 50 observations, the total for all four
babies.

Then, taking
“controlled items cumulative” at its name, I correlated week
with what I took to be the number solved each week, which would be, for
week n, the y value in week n minus the y number in week n-1. I did this
for only two babies (1 and 2, I believe), resulting in correlations of
-.20 for one and .56 for the other. As I said in my post, I don’t know
what “controlled items cumulative” really means; I don’t think
it can mean " cumulative solved" since some of the curves go
down, giving negative values for the number correct.

BP: But why not do all four? Seems to me the correlation might have been
considerably higher, since Baby 1 was the one outlier here. Or maybe you
picked two of the other three, in which case the correlation is too
high.

I noticed the negative slopes, too, and realized that
“cumulative” can’t mean what it seems to mean. I haven’t read
the actual papers so I don’t know the details. Another possible
interpretation is that there were perhaps 30 different tasks, and the
plots show how many of them were mastered at a given time. The
negative-going changes wouldn’t rule that interpretation out.

RM: I think that, in order
to make any sense of these data graphs we have to know 1) what the kids
were controlling (what were considered events and sequences) and 2) what
is the dependent variable (“controlled items
cumulative”).

BP: I agree. We’ll just have to wait for Frans to get back from wherever
he’s
hiding.

BP earlier: What I see in the figure is that three of the four babies
started increasing the number of sequence variables controlled within
three weeks of each other while one of them didn’t seem to improve much.
At a correlation of 0.86 the odds of something or other are 5 to 1; I
guess that means that predictions of the something on the basis of the
probabilities would be wrong about 1 time in 6, which isn’t too bad if
being wrong isn’t terribly important. The actual data seem to show that
you’d be wrong about 1 baby in 4 here, not too great. I don’t see what is
being predicted, however.

RM: I don’t see anything being predicted here either, any more than I see
anything being predicted in my measure of the relationship between taxes
and growth.

BP: I always look at it that way. Regardless of causation, and which
direction you assume it goes, how well does knowing the independent
variable’s value let you predict what the next observation of the
dependent variable is going to be? If you can’t make any predictions,
what’s the point of the correlations?

RM: What is being done in
both cases is seeing whether there is evidence for a relationship between
two variables; taxes and growth in one case, time (in weeks) and control
ability (measured in a still unknown way) in the other.

BP earlier: I don’t know – depends on what you’re trying to predict.
I’m pleased to see that the population data show the peaks in the correct
order, with zero occurances about halfway between the peaks.

RM: What population data? What peaks? Which graphs are your referring
to?

This is from page 35, the next one after the sequence graph you
used.

Emacs!

The red curves show the distribution of each regression period. As you
can see, there are hardly any points where the red curves intersect (the
last transition shows the biggest overlap, which is a trivial number of
cases). It would be good to see the raw data, of
course.

BHP earlier: Does that really imply that there were no individuals
who developed the levels in the wrong order? That would be very
surprising, though gratifying.

RM: Right, overall, comparing the “event” and
“sequence” graph, all kids seem to develop the ability to
control events before they control sequences.

BP: So: if baby A’s acquisition of level n comes before acquisition of
level n+1, what is the probability that baby B’s order of acquiring the
levels will be the same for any adjacent pair of levels, and for all 8
transitions taken together? Methinks it will be rather close to 1.00.
We’d have to look at the raw data for all the levels and all the
researchers to see how many individuals stuck to the exact timetable. I
suspect that we’re looking at a plot of means rather than individuals.
I’m still looking for a way to discount the seeming perfection of my
subjective guesses about the levels. Frans’ late wife Hetty’s comment was
that the fit of my levels to the data was “uncanny.” That waves
all sorts of red flags! I’d rather find out what the catch is before
someone else does.

BP earlier: As to predicting the exact week at which the new level
would start to appear, I would expect that to vary a lot from one baby to
another;

RM: I would imagine that that’s true. My correlations are not an attempt
to predict the exact week when a control skill develops; I’m just looking
for an increase in control skill with weeks. Since kids develop this
skill at somewhat different times (presumably) the most interesting
correlations are the one’s for each individual subject. But we can’t
really compute these correlations knowledgeably until we know what the
dependent variable was in these experiments. What, that is, is
“controlled items cumulative”?

BP: Yes, without that information it’s hard to know what to correlate
with what.

BP earlier: Is there a way to calculate a probabilty that the
ordering of the steps between levels is off by N steps?

RM: I bet Richard could do that easily; that would be an excellent test.
But right now it looks like we have evidence for N = 2 levels: events and
sequences. At least that’s all I see in the slides. If there is evidence
that all babies develop N=10 levels of control in the same order, then I
think someone’s got a great Science paper.

BP: See the chart above. But it’s still too early to jump to
conclusions.

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 09:58 PM 9/8/2009 -0700, you wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2009.09.09.2100)]

Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.12:10)-

OK, I see what you mean.

The problem is "cumulative" in "controlled items cumulative". I would read
it as "controlled items as a function of time" or "controlled items by
week". I do not think for a moment that there is addition, or cumulation
going on other than in the sense that the baby becomes more and more
capable.

That would be great. Now we just have to find out for sure. I hope
you're right that "controlled items cumulative" actually means
"controlled items as a function of time"; then the data would be a lot
more useful.

As I read it, the chart shows how many tasks the baby responded to or
"controlled" at what week.

That's a big difference. If it's the number "responded to" then we
don't know what perception was being controlled; if it's the number
controlled then it would be possible to know whether the perception
involved was an event or sequence.

I think of the story Frans told at our conference north of Berlin in 1998.
The Lego toy company came its consultant, Frans, with a handle, spring and
bob. A baby would hold the handle and wave it so the spring and bob would
sway from side to side. Aha, Frans said. "That is an event. Label the toy
for Four months."

I hope this isn't true; it suggests that Frans thinks that the
perception is in the object perceived. The toy you describe is also a
set of intensities, sensations, configurations, transitions,
relationships and so on. The perceptions are in the person, not in
what is presented to the person.

So displaying a rhytmic movement would be one of the many tests for
perception of events, I would think.

How so? Displaying rhythmic movement also involves displaying
intensities, sensations, configurations, transitions, relationships,
etc. You need to do more than simply display something that you happen
to see as an event in order to tell that a child also perceives it as
an event. Dare I say it, you have to do something like the test for
the controlled variable.

But how do you (or anyone) know it is the "eventness" of the display
that is being responded to? Maybe it's the movement (transition) or
the shape (configuration). Surely Frans had some way of testing to
determine what perception was actually being controlled.

I now realize that I need quite a bit more than that. I have to know
what is actually being measured by "controlled items cumulative"; if
this is not a measure of control (like number of solved puzzles at the
event or sequence level) then we've got far deeper problems than
statistical ones. And I never actually did any statistical analysis
(in the sense of using statistics for inference) anyway. The
correlation number is no more "statistical" than is counting up the
number of puzzles solved each week. It's a descriptive measure of what
you see visually on the graph.

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.2200)]

…snip

you’re right that “controlled items cumulative” actually means

“controlled items as a function of time”; then the data would be a lot

more useful.

Why don’t you just get and read the book. I am going to drop this from this end. You get the last word.

Best, Dag

[From Dag Forssell (2009.09.09.2200)]

...snip
you're right that "controlled items cumulative" actually means
"controlled items as a function of time"; then the data would be a lot
more useful.

Why don't you just get and read the book. I am going to drop this from this end. You get the last word.

Best, Dag