Formulating Reference Signals

From Fred Nickols (2019.02.05.1120 ET)

This morning I had some errands to run, involving several stops in the town near where I live and one in another town a short distance away. I contemplated the various routes I might take and eventually settled on a route.

In PCT terms, I think I was formulating a reference signal for a sequence.

As I contemplated the various routes I might take, I was taking into account things like shortest distance traveled, a minimum of retracing the same roads, least time taken, etc. I suspect these relate to higher levels having to do with efficiency, effectiveness, economy and the like.

Comments anyone?

···

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Solution Engineer & Chief Toolmaker

Distance Consulting LLC

“Assistance at A Distance”

[Rick Marken 2019-02-06_17:35:03]

From Fred Nickols (2019.02.05.1120 ETÂ

FN:This morning I had some errands to run, involving several stops in the town near where I live and one in another town a short distance away. I contemplated the various routes I might take and eventually settled on a route.

FN: In PCT terms, I think I was formulating a reference signal for a sequence.

RM: Yes.Â

FN: As I contemplated the various routes I might take, I was taking into account things like shortest distance traveled, a minimum of retracing the same roads, least time taken, etc. I suspect these relate to higher levels having to do with efficiency, effectiveness, economy and the like.

RM: Yes, I believe the technical term for this is “thinking”. Â

FN: Comments anyone?

RM: I think you are mentally controlling a sequence perception in imagination. But when you go to actually carry out the sequence you are likely to find that it doesn’t happen as you imagined; the best laid plan gang aft aglay, as the poet say, so what you actually control for is a revised sequence, the revision occurring in order to satisfy higher order perceptions, like the program or principle perception that the sequence was the means of achieving. Or so says the current version of the PCT model.

BestÂ

Rick

Â

···

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Distance Consulting LLC

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[John Kirkland 2019.02.07 1936 NZT]

Take a nosey at this URL Fred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmfOwyQlcI

There are several other animated illustrations available.

This is a procedure with dozens if not thousands of applications, even each time DHL comes to drop/collect a packet.

We are currently having a lot of fun applying Dijkstra point-mapping to an extremely large data set. Please don’t wait up though.

Cheers

JohnK

···

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:36 PM Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

FN:This morning I had some errands to run, involving several stops in the town near where I live and one in another town a short distance away. I contemplated the various routes I might take and eventually settled on a route.

FN: As I contemplated the various routes I might take, I was taking into account things like shortest distance traveled, a minimum of retracing the same roads, least time taken, etc. I suspect these relate to higher levels having to do with efficiency, effectiveness, economy and the like.

RM: I think you are mentally controlling a sequence perception in imagination. But when you go to actually carry out the sequence you are likely to find that it doesn’t happen as you imagined; the best laid plan gang aft aglay, as the poet say, so what you actually control for is a revised sequence, the revision occurring in order to satisfy higher order perceptions, like the program or principle perception that the sequence was the means of achieving. Or so says the current version of the PCT model.

BestÂ

Rick

Â

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Distance Consulting LLC

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[Rick Marken 2019-02-07_11:22:30]

[John Kirkland 2019.02.07 1936 NZT]

JK:Take a nosey at this URL Fred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmfOwyQlcI

There are several other animated illustrations available.

This is a procedure with dozens if not thousands of applications, even each time DHL comes to drop/collect a packet.

RM: This is a brilliant algorithm but it is only a plan. When it is actually carried out it has to be monitored by a control system (probably a human) who knows what to do when things don’t go as planned (as when one of the optimum paths is blocked for some reason). There is more to control than just having a goal.

BestÂ

Rick

Â

···

We are currently having a lot of fun applying Dijkstra point-mapping to an extremely large data set. Please don’t wait up though.

Cheers

JohnK

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:36 PM Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

BestÂ

Rick

Â

Regards,

Fred Nickols

Distance Consulting LLC

Richard S. MarkenÂ