FW: Is the "Problem Solving" framework exhausted?

[From Fred Nickols (2015.09.28.1828)]

This is from another list I monitor. I think it’s an instance of a disturbance to a program level. What do y’all think?

Fred Nickols

Any thoughts on the following?

I am looking for ways to harness(harmonize) our conscious, subconscious and unconscious thinking. Note: I think genius thinkers naturally do this.

The example I use is driving to work on auto-pilot.

1.  When first driving to work we use conscious “deliberate� thinking to get us there.

2.  After a while, the driving comes so routine that unconscious thinking can take over and automatically drive get us there.

3.  If during auto-pilot driving to work, a detour sign is encountered our subconscious mind recognizes this as “non-routineâ€? and sends a **mental trigger** to our conscious mind to … wake-up and take over the driving.

4.  Our conscious thinking will now drive us to work.

Like this example, I believe we can “Optimize� our thinking for most everything we do in life, except maybe creativity. Personally, I think the key is in learning how to control our metal triggers.

[From Rick Marken (2015.09.29.1545)]

···

Â

FN: This is from another list I monitor. I think it’s an instance of a disturbance to a program level. What do y’all think?

RM: I think it is a disturbance to a perception at any level that gives rise to a sudden increase in error. And i believe the current hypothesis in PCT is that consciousness tens to move to places where there is error in the hierarchy. A skillful driver is continuously countering disturbances, so effectively that they have little or no effect on the variables the driver is controlling while driving. But every so often there is the car pulling in front of you from nowhere or the pedestrian who suddenly appears in the sidewalk as you are making a left turn. Those events create big, sudden error signals to which your consciousness is drawn. Otherwise, skillful controlling of all kinds – driving, walking, reading, speaking, etc – is carried out unconsciously.Â

That’s the best I can do with it, Fred. Consciousness is really quite a mystery still to me. I think the main thing the PCT brings to the conversation is that is views consciousness and purpose (control) as two distinct phenomena. I discuss this a little in “Doing Research on Purpose” (p. 130-131). Everyone has at least one copy, right;-)

BestÂ

Rick

Â

Â

Fred Nickols

Â

Â

Â

I am looking for ways to harness(harmonize) our conscious, subconscious and unconscious thinking. Note: I think genius thinkers naturally do this.

Â

1.     When first driving to work we use conscious “deliberate� thinking to get us there.

2.     After a while, the driving comes so routine that unconscious thinking can take over and automatically drive get us there.

3.     If during auto-pilot driving to work, a detour sign is encountered our subconscious mind recognizes this as “non-routine� and sends a mental trigger to our conscious mind to … wake-up and take over the driving.

4.     Our conscious thinking will now drive us to work.

Â

Like this example, I believe we can “Optimize� our thinking for most everything we do in life, except maybe creativity. Personally, I think the key is in learning how to control our metal triggers.

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

www.mindreadings.com
Author of  Doing Research on Purpose
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[From Fred Nickols (2015.09.30.0521)]

Thanks, Rick. That’s pretty much the way I see it too. I was just thinking that “driving to work� was at the program level, whereas steering, accelerating, braking, turning, etc were at a lower level (sequence?).

Fred

···

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 6:47 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Is the “Problem Solving” framework exhausted?

[From Rick Marken (2015.09.29.1545)]

FN: This is from another list I monitor. I think it’s an instance of a disturbance to a program level. What do y’all think?

RM: I think it is a disturbance to a perception at any level that gives rise to a sudden increase in error. And i believe the current hypothesis in PCT is that consciousness tens to move to places where there is error in the hierarchy. A skillful driver is continuously countering disturbances, so effectively that they have little or no effect on the variables the driver is controlling while driving. But every so often there is the car pulling in front of you from nowhere or the pedestrian who suddenly appears in the sidewalk as you are making a left turn. Those events create big, sudden error signals to which your consciousness is drawn. Otherwise, skillful controlling of all kinds – driving, walking, reading, speaking, etc – is carried out unconsciously.

That’s the best I can do with it, Fred. Consciousness is really quite a mystery still to me. I think the main thing the PCT brings to the conversation is that is views consciousness and purpose (control) as two distinct phenomena. I discuss this a little in “Doing Research on Purpose” (p. 130-131). Everyone has at least one copy, right;-)

Best

Rick

Fred Nickols

1.  When first driving to work we use conscious “deliberate� thinking to get us there.

1.  After a while, the driving comes so routine that unconscious thinking can take over and automatically drive get us there.

1.  If during auto-pilot driving to work, a detour sign is encountered our subconscious mind recognizes this as “non-routineâ€? and sends a **mental trigger** to our conscious mind to … wake-up and ttake over the driving.

1.  Our conscious thinking will now drive us to work.

Like this example, I believe we can “Optimize� our thinking for most everything we do in life, except maybe creativity. Personally, I think the key is in learning how to control our metal triggers.

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.

Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble