FW: Perceptual Control Theory (PCT)

[From Fred Nickols (08.31.2012.0835 PDT)]

I received the following in response to a posting I did about a model tied to PCT. I thought it might interest PCT folks on this list. The high-hazard, human-error aspects of Tony’s work reminds me of Rick Marken.

Fred Nickols

···

From: messages-noreply@bounce.linkedin.com [mailto:messages-noreply@bounce.linkedin.com] On Behalf Of Tony Muschara, CPT (LinkedIn Messages)
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 12:36 AM
To: Fred Nickols, CPT
Subject: RE:Perceptual Control Theory (PCT)

LinkedIn

Tony Muschara, CPT has sent you a message.

Date: 8/30/2012

Subject: RE:Perceptual Control Theory (PCT)

Fred, thanks. When I have the opportunity with future clients, I intend to apply the models to the performance issues to give it a try. Fundamentally, I think this model does the best at explaining people’s choices in the workplace.

Tony

On 08/28/12 5:11 AM, Fred Nickols, CPT wrote:

Tony: Some additional thoughts.

First, I don’t think the Seven Elements model is a stand-alone; it’s what behind it that matters.

Second, what’s behind it is the GAP-ACT model and PCT. Those, I think, lead to different diagnostics, different takes on the situation, and different actions.

Third, lurking in there is the notion of the autonomous performer, of someone who configures his or her response to the circumstances at hand instead of simply carrying out prefigured routines. That leads to some very different management practices. (We are not there yet by a long shot.)

Fourth, it leads the knowledge workers themselves to take a different view of themselves.

Hope this “answers the mail.”

Fred

On 08/22/12 1:06 AM, Tony Muschara, CPT wrote:

Fred, I have followed PCT since you introduced it to me in a PI article a couple of years ago. Thanks.

Question. How is the seven elements model used practically with knowledge workers?

BTW, I am a an independent consultant myself working in “human error management” mostly in high-hazard industries.

Tony

View/reply to this message

You are receiving LinkedIn emails. Unsubscribe.

This email was intended for Fred Nickols, CPT (Managing Partner, Distance Consulting LLC). Learn why we included this. © 2012, LinkedIn Corporation. 2029 Stierlin Ct. Mountain View, CA 94043, USA