FW: Re: Behavioral Illusions

Fred Nickols is having difficulty posting to the net to I’m posting this for him.

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Why don’t you NOT worry about what you’re going to tell other people. Why do you select for traits in other people? You cannot inject the state of your feedback function into another persons feedback function. That would be telepathy. All you can do is ask the person what the state of their feedback function is. And if you don’t agree with their statement, if you disagree with their perception…then you are referring to a perceptual illusion.Â

···

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

Fred Nickols is having difficulty posting to the net to I’m posting this for him.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 9:21 AM
Subject: FW: Re: Behavioral Illusions
To: Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com

Here’s what I posted earlier and just a little bit ago.

Â

Fred

Â

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 12:16 PM
To: ‘csgnet@lists.illinois.edu’ csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Behavioral Illusions

Â

[From Fred Nickols (2018.03.21.1214)]

Â

I think what you propose, Rick, is better than telling them they are succumbing to an illusion. However, telling them they are paying attention to the wrong things isn’t much better. In the first instance, they’re being fooled; in the second, they are misguided. Neither is likely to sit well. So how about saying simply that there’s more there than meets the eye. I think they’ll be more responsive to the notion that they’re missing something than they will to being told they’re wrong.

Â

Fred Nickols

Â

Â

[Rick Marken 2018-03-20_18:33:02]

Â

[FWN] SNIP

Â

RM: So what do you think? I propose that we stop telling behavioral scientists that they are succumbing to an illusion and just say they are paying attention the the wrong things: irrelevant (but compelling) side effects of control rather than the variables being controlled.

Â

Best

Â

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Â

Â

Regards,

Â

Fred Nickols

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC