FW: Real life example (goal of our researchgate project)

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2019-04-11_06:51:45 UTC]

image002109.jpg

···

Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 6:04 PM

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2019-04-10_13:17:31 UTC]

EP : I think that Rick did not claim that CV is in external environment.

HB : He does not claim now. But go and look in CSGnet archives. I know exactly what Rick is aiming at.

EP: Then he must have changed his mind?

[…snipped…]

EP : What I suggested was that there is (or can be) something in the real reality (not necessarily outside the controller, it can be also in her like in the
case of hunger or itch), which is perceived when the controller has a perception which she tries to control. And I also suggested that that something could be called RREV or just “object of perception”.

HB :And in Ricks case is "something in the real reality, which is perceived as CV or distance between “cursor and target” ? Is this what you wanted to say
? I also don’t understand what could be “object of perception” ?

EP : This RREV, or whatever you want to call it, is what is affected by the controller’s output if the control is successful.

HB : I’m sorry I don’t understand this either. “RREV” exist in outer environment only if effects of controllers output are successful ?

HB : Well it’s everything to abstract. Could you give some real life example how this works, beside Ricks “chewing” laboratory experiment" which has no use
in explaining other behaviors.

EP: I know this is very risky but still I want to try to invent a simple example of how I think the things go (unfortunately simple examples are seldom simple). I hope I can learn something
myself and also that I can at the same time reply Rick, too:

Say I have found a dog and I suspect that it can be hungry. So I offer some food to it. It starts to bite the food but I am still not sure so I try take the food away. Then the doc protests
by growling and threatening to bite my hand.

Now I infer: 1) The dog controls for a perception of having the food, because it resisted the disturbance I caused by trying to take the food away. 2) The dog is hungry which means that
it controls for the perception of not hungriness i.e. fullness.

In the step one, I can perceive that the dog has the food and I assume that also the dog perceives that it has the food. In this sense it can be said like Rick that I and the dog have
the same perception, the perception of this dog having this food. from my crude TCV I inferred that the dog was controlling
this perception. So it is possible to say that the dog is controlling the same perception which also I have. (Even though it sounds crazy to say that the dog controls my perception.) Of course this is actually very metaphorical way to talk because the
dog and I have our own perceptions and we have them probably in quite a different ways. But however it is understandable to say so. More accurate is to say that the dog seems (empirically) to control a perception which in some way corresponds to my perception
of “the dog having the food”.

The dog’s perception and my perception are similar in a same way as the number three is similar to the alphabet c: They have a similar position in their respective systems. I select
from my perceptions that one which I think that best fits with that perception which I assume the dog has. And I can check that fit with some kind of TCV operations.

The step two is a little different. I infer that the dog perceives itself (feels) hungry and I think that it is something similar than the perception which I have when I feel hungry,
but I do not feel hungry at the moment. So I cannot say that I have a same perception with the dog, but I have in my memory a perception which I assume that corresponds to the perception which the dog has at the moment. But also here I can (metaphorically)
say that these two perception are the same perception because I assume and infer and check that the hunger perception which I have is the best fit with the perception which I have inferred that the dog has.

There are two background premises which are required for those previous inferences to be rational. One is that I and the dog have sufficiently similar sensory functions. If they are
too different it is harder and harder to trust that my perceptions have any correspondence with the perceptions of that other creature. The second premise is still much more important because it is in a way also a premise for the first premise. This second
premise is about RREVs (Real Reality Environmental Variables) or the objects of the perceptions. According to it there must be something (we do not know what) in the real reality (either outside or inside the perceiving and controlling organisms) which can
be perceived as food or hunger or any perception at all and which can be affected by our actions (output) in such a consistent and predictable manner that the successful control is possible.

Think that there were two somewhat similar RREVs which both we perceive as food: they look like a food, they taste like food, feel and smell like a food. But still they are different
so that if you eat the first one your sugar level of the blood rises and you feel full and nice, but if you eat the other one you instead get sick or you can even die. In the history of evolution this kind of situations may have happened often: Others have
perceived wrongly and they have suffered and died. Others have had slightly different perceptual functions and have been able to make the difference beforehand and they stayed alive and procreated. In this way the RREVs have constrained our perceptual functions
depending on the ways we as species have had to make our living. That is why we humans can have so similar perceptual functions that it is reasonable to say in sufficiently simple cases that we have “same” perceptions. But if there are different species or
complicated situations with hierarchically higher and learned perceptions then it is much better to talk about similar perceptions than
same perceptions – and even that similarity may be often susceptible. But even in those cases I can assume that possibly the other subject perceives the same or similar RREV that I perceive in my perception. I can test this assumption by trying to control
my perception to somewhat different value (by affecting something real in the common environment of me and the other). If I perceive that the other one then affects the reality so that it cancels my preceding effect and returns my perception back to its initial
value then I can infer that whatever is the perception of the other one it is still about the same RREV than my perception.

This same applies also to internal perceptions like hunger. We have a perceptual function which make it possible to us to perceive whether we are hungry or not. But sometimes we can
perceive wrongly. For example I often feel hungry if I am tired. If I am really hungry (there is in me a RREV which is the right object of hunger) then I can control that perception by eating some food (if that happens to be a “right food”), but if I am tired
then eating doesn’t help but instead I have to take some rest or sleep.

As I said earlier, we don’t know what these RREVs are but we have models of them in our perceptions, just like sciences have models of them in their theories. The duty of a model is
to correspond its object, that which it is a model of. The better model correspond better and worse correspond worse. This goodness of models can be often called truth. There are (at least) two ways how the goodness of a model can be evaluated. The first is
control: the better model enables better control. The second is comparing the models: a model which cannot be controlled may be good if it suits well with models which can be controlled. I believe that the physics (so called fundamental physics) has a special
duty to try to find out the basic particles and building blocks of our reality, but we may be quite far from finding them at the moment. But also the models of other sciences, like biology, psychology, economy, geology etc. can as well have (more or less)
true models, which are hardly replaceable by the models of physics in practice. Especially I think that PCT should have a similarly basic position among sciences of alive sphere that the theory of relativity or quantum mechanics have in the inorganic spheres.

Eetu

• Please, regard all my statements as questions,

no matter how they are formulated.

Eetu

Boris

Eetu

Sent: keskiviikko 10. huhtikuuta 2019 16.10

Sorry Eetu that I jumped in…

There is no “CV” in external environment as you can’t explain too many behaviors with such an approcah. But you can cause deeper misunderstandng of PCT and you
can cause that PCT will has less and less value showing where Bill was contradicting himself. Anyway Rick, I think that you give a dame about PCT. But you are taking care of your ass and nonsesne RCT.

From: Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 7:33 PM
To: csgnet csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: RE: goal of our researchgate project

[Rick Marken 2019-04-09_10:25:07]

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2019-04-09_05:34:30 UTC]

EP: Hmm, just a thought: The control (any control of perception, except temporarily in imagination) is constrained by “Real Reality” (RR). Powers says in the quotation: “When we apply a disturbance, we apply it to CV, not to p.” This applies also to
observer: she has a perception p of the CV. When she applies a disturbance (because of TCV), she applies it to CV not to her p.

RM: I think the problem is in thinking of a CV as something
to be perceived. In fact, the CV is a perception for both the observer and the controller. It is an
actual perception for the observer; the distance between cursor and target, for example, is a perception for me as an observer; it is also a perception
in theory for the controller. The theoretical nature of the controller’s perception is indicated by the fact that the CV is represented as the theoretical variable p in the model of the controller.

HB : Observer will perceive whatever is outside in his way and controller in his way. What observer will perceive and control is question for TCV.
But I’m sure that most people will not perceive “CV”. And I’m sure you wouldn’t be one of them.

EP: Thus that which is called here CV is outside of both the controller and the observer.

RM: The CV actually exists only as a perception inside the observer (in fact) and in the controller (in theory). The CV certainly can “look like” it is “outside” of the controller and observer,
just as the distance between cursor and target appears to be “outside” both. But according to PCT the CV is inside the brains of both the observer and controller.

HB : How would you know that “CV” is inside observer ? In theory ? Or in practice.

EP: Where is it then? I think it is in RR.

RM: According to the PCT model, the CV is a perception (in both the observer and controller) inasmuch as it is a FUNCTION of variables in real reality (RR).

HB : According to PCT “CV” is not a perception. You are lying Rick.
There is no “Controlled Variable” in external environment and no “Controlled Perceptual Variable” in observer according to PCT.

EP: What the observer infers and claims to be controlled is thus the object of her own perception, something in RR which she assumes (because of the empirical
findings) to be also the object of the perception of the controller.

RM: The observer doing the TCV does not have to infer anything about the “object of her own perception” that the controller is controlling.

HB : So observer doing TCV is some expert for TCV ?

RM : The observer doing the TCV simply observes that something she perceives – such as the distance between cursor and target – is being controlled in the sense that it is being protected from
disturbance by the actions of the controller.

HB : You are breaking World Record in talking nonsense. And how controller is “protecting distance between cursor and target”.
With Telekinesis ? Or with yome “magnetic field” ? Or maybe he is protecting socket that somebody wouldn’t pull out electrical cable and cause the end of “experiment”. I must say that I agree with
you.

RM earlier : In my rush to show that this is not the case I came up with what has to be the dumbest rebuttal of all time – outdoing even myself
in stupidity;-)

RM : The observer may think of that perception – the CV-- as an objective variable in the outside world; the distance between cursor and target, for example, certainly seems like it is “out there”.
But the variable that appears to be “out there” is actually the result of a perceptual computation – a FUNCTION of sensory input – that produces that apparent reality. For example, the distance between cursor and target is the result of a perceptual computation
that involves taking the difference between two sensory inputs – one from the cursor and the other from the target.

HB : Sorry Rick PCT is not working in this way. How do you imagine that “two sensory inputs” look like. X and Y axis like in your Toy Helicopter
experiment with Schaffer ? Target through left and cursor through right eye ???

RM : So the FUNCTION that results in the appearance of the CV as the distance between cursor and target is a subtraction.

HB : So you perceived subtraction ?

EP: Thus, I think that RREV (or simply just “object of perception”) is a useful and necessary concept because without it one must say something like this:
“The controller is controlling the same perception which the observer has”, which literally means that there is one perception which is common to and shared between controller and observer.

RM: I consider that a feature, not a bug. When an observer has successfully tested to determine the variable the controller is controlling, the observer can be said, for all intents and purposes,
to be perceiving what the controller is perceiving – the CV.

HB : Did you try this with anybody or you are just imagining and dreaming ?

EP: Yet we know that those two subjects certainly have both their own perceptions – they have their own perceptual signals and those signals are not necessary
similar.

RM: If the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable controlled by the controller is not the same as the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable that the observer thinks is
being controlled, the observer will realize this immediately (because the controller will not be systematically resisting disturbances applied to this variable). In this case, the observer will change her hypothesis about the variable that is actually being
controlled. The observer will continue to change hypotheses about the CV until she hits on one that is protected from all disturbances.

HB : Are there also bullit disturbances ? Describe to us hypothesis about CV being “protected” from all disturbances ??? Which are all these disturbances
that you should protect “distance” from ? He,he. What an imagination ?

RM : In that case, she has discovered a variable the controller is controlling – the CV – and, for all intents and purposes, is, perceiving what the controller is perceiving.

HB : So controlled and observer are perceiving the same “CV” ?

EP: If the bat perceives a fly using its ultra sounds and sensible ears it must be very different perception compared the visual perception of the bat researcher
who sees those ultrasounds from a measuring device (or the fly visually). What is common to the perceptions of the bat and the researcher is not the perceptions as such but the object of these perceptions, some RREV, even though this RREV is described in the
research report by using the perceptions of the researcher (and her assumptions of the possible perceptions of the readers).

RM: The observer doesn’t have to experience the CV in the same way as the controller does in order to successfully determine what perception the controller is controlling.

HB : So now you are saying that observer and controller do not perceive CV in the same way ?

RM : This can be illustrated with the compensatory tracking task. The observer of the behavior in this task doesn’t need to actually see the difference between cursor and target on the screen
as the controller does that task.

HB : So observer has covered eyes with yomething so that he doesn’t perceive the same “CV” as controller ??? He,he. What an imagination.

RM : The observer can tell from a plot of the difference between the position of the cursor are target varying over time (along with a plot of the disturbance and the controller’s output) that
the perception (cursor - target) is the CV.

HB : Controller must be a good “teacher” to explain to observer what she/he is perceiving ?

Boris

Be

Rick

Eetu

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you

have nothing left to take away.”

--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Eetu, I hope that you don’t mind my jumping
in here…

image002109.jpg

···

On 4/13/19 3:42 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen
( via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi

“Boris Hartman” <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu >

[Eetu

Pikkarainen 2019-04-10_13:17:31 UTC]

EP : I think

that Rick did not claim that CV is in external environment.

HB : He does

not claim now. But go and look in CSGnet archives. I know
exactly what Rick is aiming at.

[…snipped…]

EP : What I

suggested was that there is (or can be) something in the
real reality (not necessarily outside the controller, it can
be also in her like in the case of hunger or itch), which is
perceived when the controller has a perception which she
tries to control. And I also suggested that that something
could be called RREV or just “object of perception”.

HB :And in

Ricks case is "something in the real reality, which is
perceived as CV or distance between “cursor and target” ?
Is this what you wanted to say ? I also don’t understand
what could be “object of perception” ?

EP : This

RREV, or whatever you want to call it, is what is affected
by the controller’s output if the control is successful.

HB : I'm

sorry I don’t understand this either. “RREV” exist in outer
environment only if effects of controllers output are
successful ?

HB : Well

it’s everything to abstract. Could you give some real life
example how this works, beside Ricks “chewing” laboratory
experiment" which has no use in explaining other behaviors.

EP: I know this is very risky but still I want

to try to invent a simple example of how I think the things
go (unfortunately simple examples are seldom simple). I hope
I can learn something myself and also that I can at the same
time reply Rick, too:

Say I have found a dog and I suspect that it

can be hungry. So I offer some food to it. It starts to bite
the food but I am still not sure so I try take the food
away. Then the doc protests by growling and threatening to
bite my hand.

Now I infer: 1) The dog controls for a

perception of having the food, because it resisted the
disturbance I caused by trying to take the food away. 2) The
dog is hungry which means that it controls for the
perception of not hungriness i.e. fullness.

Step 2 as you have stated the problem is an

assumption. If the dog immediately begins eating the food
(assuming you are physically far enough away for the dog to
perceive that you are no longer a threat, or even did immediately
begin eating the food when you first made the food available, then
I suggest that you have a basis for making your assumption.
Otherwise you are assuming the dog wanted the food because it was
hungry when there could be other reasons. BTW, I think your
example is a great one for this discussion.

In the step one, I can perceive that the dog

has the food and I assume that also the dog perceives that
it has the food. In this sense it can be said like Rick that
I and the dog have the same perception, the
perception of this dog having this food. From my crude TCV I
inferred that the dog was controlling
this perception. So it is possible to say that the
dog is controlling the same perception which also I have.
(Even though it sounds crazy to say that the dog controls my
perception.) Of course this is actually very metaphorical
way to talk because the dog and I have our own perceptions
and we have them probably in quite a different ways. But
however it is understandable to say so. More accurate is to
say that the dog seems (empirically) to control a perception
which in some way corresponds to my perception of “the dog
having the food”.

Nice analysis.  The first sentence of this

paragraph is exactly what I thought Rick meant by his statement
about the ‘same perception.’ Essentially, what you also point out
in this analysis also applies, in my opinion, to the meaning Rick
was putting forth. That is, there is simply no way to even know
if the observer’s perception is identical to the subjects
perception.

The dog’s perception and my perception are

similar in a same way as the number three is similar to the
alphabet c: They have a similar position in their respective
systems. I select from my perceptions that one which I think
that best fits with that perception which I assume the dog
has. And I can check that fit with some kind of TCV
operations.

I like your analogy too.

The step two is a little different. I infer

that the dog perceives itself (feels) hungry and I think
that it is something similar than the perception which I
have when I feel hungry, but I do not feel hungry at the
moment. So I cannot say that I have a same perception with
the dog, but I have in my memory a perception which I assume
that corresponds to the perception which the dog has at the
moment. But also here I can (metaphorically) say that these
two perception are the same perception because I
assume and infer and check that the hunger perception which
I have is the best fit with the perception which I have
inferred that the dog has.

Another spot on analysis.

There are two background premises which are

required for those previous inferences to be rational. One
is that I and the dog have sufficiently similar sensory
functions. If they are too different it is harder and harder
to trust that my perceptions have any correspondence with
the perceptions of that other creature. The second premise
is still much more important because it is in a way also a
premise for the first premise. This second premise is about
RREVs (Real Reality Environmental Variables) or the objects
of the perceptions. According to it there must be something
(we do not know what) in the real reality (either outside or
inside the perceiving and controlling organisms) which can
be perceived as food or hunger or any perception at all and
which can be affected by our actions (output) in such a
consistent and predictable manner that the successful
control is possible.

I think you went a bit off the rails here on

this one. Where I have trouble with what you’re say is in the
last sentence but I will agree that for control of such a
perception the sentence if correct. However, for a perception to
exist it is not necessary to be able to affect the RREV at all.
For example we can perceive the color of the sky but we can not
(at least normally) control that color.

Think that there were two somewhat similar

RREVs which both we perceive as food: they look like a food,
they taste like food, feel and smell like a food. But still
they are different so that if you eat the first one your
sugar level of the blood rises and you feel full and nice,
but if you eat the other one you instead get sick or you can
even die. In the history of evolution this kind of
situations may have happened often: Others have perceived
wrongly and they have suffered and died. Others have had
slightly different perceptual functions and have been able
to make the difference beforehand and they stayed alive and
procreated. In this way the RREVs have constrained our
perceptual functions depending on the ways we as species
have had to make our living. That is why we humans can have
so similar perceptual functions that it is reasonable to
say in sufficiently simple cases that we have “same”
perceptions. But if there are different species or
complicated situations with hierarchically higher and
learned perceptions then it is much better to talk about
similar perceptions than
same perceptions – and even that similarity may be
often susceptible. But even in those cases I can assume that
possibly the other subject perceives the same or similar
RREV that I perceive in my perception. I can test this
assumption by trying to control my perception to somewhat
different value (by affecting something real in the common
environment of me and the other). If I perceive that the
other one then affects the reality so that it cancels my
preceding effect and returns my perception back to its
initial value then I can infer that whatever is the
perception of the other one it is still about the same RREV
than my perception.

Many (all?) of the functions handled by the

brain stem are probably formed through the evolutionary
experience process you described above. Most of the motor
control functions involving the world external to the human are
likely learned during gestation and shortly after being born
(though they remain subject to reorganization throughout life
[in a healthy human anyway]).

I think your suggestion about 'similar' vs

‘same’ is a good one. I’m not so sure that it needs to be used
in the case for the dog example since most humans have at least
some experience with the example. But in a detailed discussion
‘similar’ would probably be appropriate. Especially if
discussing the class of testing as you did in the discussion
above.

This same applies also to internal perceptions

like hunger. We have a perceptual function which make it
possible to us to perceive whether we are hungry or not. But
sometimes we can perceive wrongly. For example I often feel
hungry if I am tired. If I am really hungry (there is in me
a RREV which is the right object of hunger) then I can
control that perception by eating some food (if that happens
to be a “right food”), but if I am tired then eating doesn’t
help but instead I have to take some rest or sleep.

Actually thirst is very commonly interpreted

by people as hunger. That is one of the reasons that many medical
practitioners recommend that a person drink a glass of water and
wait a few minutes before eating to see if the perception of
hunger goes away. Your example here is, I think, an excellent
example of our potential for misinterpreting a perceptual signal.

As I said earlier, we don’t know what these

RREVs are but we have models of them in our perceptions,
just like sciences have models of them in their theories.
The duty of a model is to correspond its object, that which
it is a model of. The better model correspond better and
worse correspond worse. This goodness of models can be often
called truth. There are (at least) two ways how the goodness
of a model can be evaluated. The first is control: the
better model enables better control. The second is comparing
the models: a model which cannot be controlled may be good
if it suits well with models which can be controlled. I
believe that the physics (so called fundamental physics) has
a special duty to try to find out the basic particles and
building blocks of our reality, but we may be quite far from
finding them at the moment. But also the models of other
sciences, like biology, psychology, economy, geology etc.
can as well have (more or less) true models, which are
hardly replaceable by the models of physics in practice.
Especially I think that PCT should have a similarly basic
position among sciences of alive sphere that the theory of
relativity or quantum mechanics have in the inorganic
spheres.

I'm mixed on how I think I should respond

to this paragraph. I agree that, in many cases you cited,
physics models are impractical for much of their work. Physics
can introduce far too much detail. The first and chemistry and
geology among others must not violate the theories of physics or
if they do in a provable way then the physics theory must be
revised.

Until PCT there was no hard science for

behavioral science. However, PCT is very often useful within
the behavioral sciences directly. For example in counseling and
in therapy.

I hope that I have contributed to an

excellent contribution to the discussion.

bill

Eetu

- Please, regard all my statements as

questions,

Eetu

Boris

Eetu

Hartman” <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu >

Sorry Eetu that

I jumped in…

There is no

“CV” in external environment as you can’t explain too many
behaviors with such an approcah. But you can cause deeper
misunderstandng of PCT and you can cause that PCT will has
less and less value showing where Bill was contradicting
himself. Anyway Rick, I think that you give a dame about
PCT. But you are taking care of your ass and nonsesne RCT.

(rsmarken@gmail.com
via csgnet Mailing List) <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu >

[Rick

Marken 2019-04-09_10:25:07]

EP: Hmm, just a thought: The control (any control of

perception, except temporarily in imagination) is
constrained by “Real Reality” (RR). Powers says in the
quotation: “* When we apply a disturbance, we apply it
to CV, not to p.”* This applies also to observer:
she has a perception p of the CV. When she applies a
disturbance (because of TCV), she applies it to CV not
to her p.

RM: I think the problem is in thinking of a CV

as something
to be perceived. In fact, the CV * is a
perception* for both the observer and the
controller. It is an
actual perception for the observer; the distance
between cursor and target, for example, is a perception
for me as an observer; it is also a perception
in theory for the controller. The theoretical
nature of the controller’s perception is indicated by
the fact that the CV is represented as the theoretical
variable p in the model of the controller.

HB

: Observer will perceive whatever is outside in his way
and controller in his way. What observer will perceive
and control is question for TCV. But I’m sure that most
people will not perceive “CV”. And I’m sure you wouldn’t
be one of them.

EP: Thus that which is called here CV is

outside of both the controller and the observer.

RM: The CV actually exists only as a

perception inside the observer (in fact) and in the
controller (in theory). The CV certainly can “look like”
it is “outside” of the controller and observer, just as
the distance between cursor and target appears to be
“outside” both. But according to PCT the CV is inside
the brains of both the observer and controller.

HB

: How would you know that “CV” is inside observer ? In
theory ? Or in practice.

RM: According to the PCT model, the CV is a

perception (in both the observer and controller)
inasmuch as it is a FUNCTION of variables in real
reality (RR).

HB

: According to PCT “CV” is not a perception. You are
lying Rick.
There
is no “Controlled Variable” in external environment
and no “Controlled Perceptual Variable” in observer
according to PCT.

EP: What the observer infers and claims to be

controlled is thus the object of her own perception,
something in RR which she assumes (because of the
empirical findings) to be also the object of the
perception of the controller.

RM: The observer doing the TCV does not have

to infer anything about the “object of her own
perception” that the controller is controlling.

HB

: So observer doing TCV is some expert for TCV ?

RM : The observer doing the TCV simply

observes that something she perceives – such as the
distance between cursor and target – is being
controlled in the sense that it is being protected from
disturbance by the actions of the controller.

HB

: You are breaking World Record in talking nonsense. And
how controller is “protecting distance between cursor
and target” .
With
Telekinesis ? Or with yome “magnetic field” ?
Or maybe he is protecting socket that somebody wouldn’t
pull out electrical cable and cause the end of
“experiment”. I must say that I agree with you.

RM

earlier : In my rush to show that this is not the case I
came up with what has to be the dumbest rebuttal of all
time – outdoing even myself in stupidity;-)

RM : The observer may think of that perception

– the CV-- as an objective variable in the outside
world; the distance between cursor and target, for
example, certainly seems like it is “out there”. But the
variable that appears to be “out there” is actually the
result of a perceptual computation – a FUNCTION of
sensory input – that produces that apparent reality.
For example, the distance between cursor and target is
the result of a perceptual computation that involves
taking the difference between two sensory inputs – one
from the cursor and the other from the target.

HB

: Sorry Rick PCT is not working in this way. How do you
imagine that “two sensory inputs” look like. X and Y
axis like in your Toy Helicopter experiment with
Schaffer ? Target through left
and cursor through right eye ???

RM : So the FUNCTION that results in the

appearance of the CV as the distance between cursor and
target is a subtraction.

HB

: So you perceived subtraction ?

EP: Thus, I think that RREV (or simply just

“object of perception”) is a useful and necessary
concept because without it one must say something like
this: “The controller is controlling the same perception
which the observer has”, which literally means that
there is one perception which is common to and shared
between controller and observer.

RM: I consider that a feature, not a bug. 

When an observer has successfully tested to determine
the variable the controller is controlling, the
observer can be said, for all intents and purposes, to
be perceiving what the controller is perceiving – the
CV.

HB

: Did you try this with anybody or you are just
imagining and dreaming ?

EP: Yet we know that those two subjects

certainly have both their own perceptions – they have
their own perceptual signals and those signals are not
necessary similar.

RM: If the perceptual signal that corresponds

to the variable controlled by the controller is not the
same as the perceptual signal that corresponds to the
variable that the observer thinks is being controlled,
the observer will realize this immediately (because the
controller will not be systematically resisting
disturbances applied to this variable). In this case,
the observer will change her hypothesis about the
variable that is actually being controlled. The observer
will continue to change hypotheses about the CV until
she hits on one that is protected from all disturbances.

HB

: Are there also bullit disturbances ? Describe to us
hypothesis about CV being “protected” from all
disturbances ??? Which are all these disturbances that
you should protect “distance” from ? He,he. What an
imagination ?

RM : In that case, she has discovered a

variable the controller is controlling – the CV – and,
for all intents and purposes, is, perceiving what the
controller is perceiving.

HB

: So controlled and observer are perceiving the same
“CV” ?

EP: If the bat perceives a fly using its ultra

sounds and sensible ears it must be very different
perception compared the visual perception of the bat
researcher who sees those ultrasounds from a measuring
device (or the fly visually). What is common to the
perceptions of the bat and the researcher is not the
perceptions as such but the object of these perceptions,
some RREV, even though this RREV is described in the
research report by using the perceptions of the
researcher (and her assumptions of the possible
perceptions of the readers).

RM: The observer doesn't have to experience

the CV in the same way as the controller does in order
to successfully determine what perception the controller
is controlling.

HB

: So now you are saying that observer and controller do
not perceive CV in the same way ?

RM : This can be illustrated with the

compensatory tracking task. The observer of the behavior
in this task doesn’t need to actually see the difference
between cursor and target on the screen as the
controller does that task.

HB

: So observer has covered eyes with yomething so that he
doesn’t perceive the same “CV” as controller ??? He,he.
What an imagination.

RM : The observer can tell from a plot of the

difference between the position of the cursor are target
varying over time (along with a plot of the disturbance
and the controller’s output) that the perception (cursor

• target) is the CV.
            HB

: Controller must be a good “teacher” to explain to
observer what she/he is perceiving ?

Boris

Be

Rick

Eetu

-

Please, regard all my statements as questions,

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection

is achieved not when you have
nothing more to add, but when you

–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[Rick Marken 2019-04-13_18:26:37]

Â

EP:Â Say I have found a dog and I suspect that it can be hungry. So I offer some food to it. It starts to bite the food but I am still not sure so I try take the food away. Then the doc protests
by growling and threatening to bite my hand.

Â

EP: Now I infer: 1) The dog controls for a perception of having the food, because it resisted the disturbance I caused by trying to take the food away. 2) The dog is hungry which means that
it controls for the perception of not hungriness i.e. fullness.

RM: Only 1) is the kind of inference we make in PCT; 2) is not because we can’t perceive another organism’s subjective experience; but we could make guesses about what is controlled by a hungry organism by defining hunger in terms of perceptible (measurable) variables, such as blood glucose level.

EP: In the step one, I can perceive that the dog has the food and I assume that also the dog perceives that it has the food. In this sense it can be said like Rick that I and the dog have
the same perception, the perception of this dog having this food. From my crude TCV I inferred that the dog was controlling
this perception. So it is possible to say that the dog is controlling the same perception which also I have. (Even though it sounds crazy to say that the dog controls my perception.)

RM: But in PCT we don’t say that the dog is controlling the observer’s perception; we theorize that the dog is controlling a perception that equivalent to something I can perceive, though from a different perspective than the dog’s and, perhaps, by different means – such as by using a device that measures the distance between the dog’s mouth and the food. This is most obvious in the case of a bat; we can’t perceive with our own senses what the bat is controlling when it navigates but we can measure the sounds that it is perceiving and “perceive” the delay of the echo and see that this variable is being controlled.

Â

EP: Of course this is actually very metaphorical way to talk because the
dog and I have our own perceptions and we have them probably in quite a different ways.

RM: Yes, we are definitely seeing it in different ways, most obviously because of our different locations relative to the food and the dog’s mouth. So it’s really not correct to say that you and the dog are perceiving the same thing; it’s more appropriate to say that you (the observer) are able to infer from your own perceptions what variable the dog is perceiving (distance of food from mouth). And once you have done that you can perceive the variable that the dog is controlling in the sense that you perceive a representation of that perception in the form of a diagram (a picture of food relative to mouth) or equation (d = m-f).

Â

EP: More accurate is to say that the dog seems (empirically) to control a perception which in some way corresponds to my perception
of “the dog having the food�.

RM: Perhaps at this early point in the test (you have only seen the effect of one disturbance – the pull on the food --Â on one hypothesized controlled variable) one can say that it “seems” like the dog is controlling a particular perception (“having the food”). But if you continue testing (by revising hypotheses – inferences – about the controlled variable by applying disturbances that should have an effect if these hypotheses are wrong you can refine your definition of the controlled variable until you get a pretty accurate picture of the perception that is being controlled. I have several demos that demonstrate how accurately the test can reveal what perception is being controlled. Try the one called Control of Perception (https://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/ControlOfPerception.html) on which Bill based the first demo for LCS III, to see how well the test can tell which of several possible controlled variables you are controlling at any particular time.

Â

EP: The dog’s perception and my perception are similar in a same way as the number three is similar to the alphabet c: They have a similar position in their respective systems. I select
from my perceptions that one which I think that best fits with that perception which I assume the dog has. And I can check that fit with some kind of TCV operations.

RM: The test can easily tell whether you are controlling for 3 or c. If the observer concludes that the subject is controlling for c when in fact the subject is controlling for 3, the observer has done a very poor job of testing for the controlled variable.Â

Â

EP: The step two is a little different. I infer that the dog perceives itself (feels) hungry and I think that it is something similar than the  perception which I have when I feel hungry,

RM: As I said, we are not trying to infer subjective experience using the test; we are trying to determine what variables the behaving system is controlling.Â

Â

EP: There are two background premises which are required for those previous inferences to be rational. One is that I and the dog have sufficiently similar sensory functions.

RM: As I mentioned with the example of the bat, it is definitely not necessary that observer and subject have similar sensory systems in order for the observer to successfully discover what perception the subject is controlling.

EP: The second premise is still much more important because it is in a way also a preÂ

mise for the first premise. This second
premise is about RREVs (Real Reality Environmental Variables) or the objects of the perceptions. According to it there must be something (we do not know what) in the real reality (either outside or inside the perceiving and controlling organisms) which can
be perceived as food or hunger or any perception at all and which can be affected by our actions (output) in such a consistent and predictable manner that the successful control is possible.

RM: Actually, this is not a necessary premise at all. The test for the controlled variable has been done successfully in PCT research for years without this premise. All that is needed to successfully conduct the test is the ability to perceive, either using your own perceptual system or using some device, like a computer, that can measure the supposed controlled variable, what perception(s) might be under control.

Â

EP: Think that there were two somewhat similar RREVs which both we perceive as food: they look like a food, they taste like food, feel and smell like a food. But still they are different
so that if you eat the first one your sugar level of the blood rises and you feel full and nice, but if you eat the other one you instead get sick or you can even die.

RM: I think what you call an RREV is what I would call the collection of physical variables that are the basis of a perception. There are definitely two different aggregations of chemicals that make up the two foods; if you want to call these the RREVs of the two different foods that’s fine but, again, it is an unnecessary concept when doing the test. If you want to see if a person is controlling for selection of the non-poison food just see whether disturbances that make the food look poison cause the person to avoid the food.Â

Â

EP: The duty of a model is
to correspond its object, that which it is a model of… There are (at least) two ways how the goodness of a model can be evaluated. The first is
control: the better model enables better control. The second is comparing the models: a model which cannot be controlled may be good if it suits well with models which can be controlled.

RM: I think the goodness of a model is evaluated in terms of its fit to the data. The data against which PCT models are evaluated are measures of aspects of the controlling done by living systems (perhaps that’s what you meant by evaluating the goodness of a model in term of goodness of control?). Since, according to PCT, behavior is organized around the control of perceptual variables, the TCV is an essential component of developing PCT models that fit the data well. What the TCV has to do is provide an accurate description of the variable(s) that are being controlled when we see a particular example of behavior. The degree of accuracy of the description of the controlled variable is measured in terms of how well a model that includes that description of the controlled variable as the perceptual variable fits the data. Accuracy is not measured in terms of how well the description of the controlled variable matches an imagined RREV. So, again, the concept of an RREV is unnecessary at best and an impediment to the development of PCT as a science at worst.Â

BestÂ

Rick

image002109.jpg

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

have nothing left to take away.�

Bill, Eetu

BL : Many (all?) of the functions handled by the brain stem are probably formed through the evolutionary experience process you described above.

HB : If I understand right you are saying that functions in nervous system were developed through individual experiences of the animals and through generations ? Did I understand right ? Lamarckism ?

For example. Girafes were experiencing the need for grasping the leaves higher and higher on the trees and that how their neck through generations beacame longer and longer.

Boris

image002109.jpg

···

From: Bill Leach (wrleach@cableone.net via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2019 1:25 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: FW: Real life example (goal of our researchgate project)

Eetu, I hope that you don’t mind my jumping in here…

On 4/13/19 3:42 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen (eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

HB : He does not claim now. But go and look in CSGnet archives. I know exactly what Rick is aiming at.

[…snipped…]

EP : What I suggested was that there is (or can be) something in the real reality (not necessarily outside the controller, it can be also in her like in the case of hunger or itch), which is perceived when the controller has a perception which she tries to control. And I also suggested that that something could be called RREV or just “object of perception”.

HB :And in Ricks case is "something in the real reality, which is perceived as CV or distance between “cursor and target” ? Is this what you wanted to say ? I also don’t understand what could be “object of perception” ?

EP : This RREV, or whatever you want to call it, is what is affected by the controller’s output if the control is successful.

HB : I’m sorry I don’t understand this either. “RREV” exist in outer environment only if effects of controllers output are successful ?

HB : Well it’s everything to abstract. Could you give some real life example how this works, beside Ricks “chewing” laboratory experiment" which has no use in explaining other behaviors.

EP: I know this is very risky but still I want to try to invent a simple example of how I think the things go (unfortunately simple examples are seldom simple). I hope I can learn something myself and also that I can at the same time reply Rick, too:

Say I have found a dog and I suspect that it can be hungry. So I offer some food to it. It starts to bite the food but I am still not sure so I try take the food away. Then the doc protests by growling and threatening to bite my hand.

Now I infer: 1) The dog controls for a perception of having the food, because it resisted the disturbance I caused by trying to take the food away. 2) The dog is hungry which means that it controls for the perception of not hungriness i.e. fullness.

Step 2 as you have stated the problem is an assumption. If the dog immediately begins eating the food (assuming you are physically far enough away for the dog to perceive that you are no longer a threat, or even did immediately begin eating the food when you first made the food available, then I suggest that you have a basis for making your assumption. Otherwise you are assuming the dog wanted the food because it was hungry when there could be other reasons. BTW, I think your example is a great one for this discussion.

In the step one, I can perceive that the dog has the food and I assume that also the dog perceives that it has the food. In this sense it can be said like Rick that I and the dog have the same perception, the perception of this dog having this food. from my crude TCV I inferred that the dog was controlling this perception. So it is possible to say that the dog is controlling the same perception which also I have. (Even though it sounds crazy to say that the dog controls my perception.) Of course this is actually very metaphorical way to talk because the dog and I have our own perceptions and we have them probably in quite a different ways. But however it is understandable to say so. More accurate is to say that the dog seems (empirically) to control a perception which in some way corresponds to my perception of “the dog having the food”.

Nice analysis. The first sentence of this paragraph is exactly what I thought Rick meant by his statement about the ‘same perception.’ Essentially, what you also point out in this analysis also applies, in my opinion, to the meaning Rick was putting forth. That is, there is simply no way to even know if the observer’s perception is identical to the subjects perception.

The dog’s perception and my perception are similar in a same way as the number three is similar to the alphabet c: They have a similar position in their respective systems. I select from my perceptions that one which I think that best fits with that perception which I assume the dog has. And I can check that fit with some kind of TCV operations.

I like your analogy too.

The step two is a little different. I infer that the dog perceives itself (feels) hungry and I think that it is something similar than the perception which I have when I feel hungry, but I do not feel hungry at the moment. So I cannot say that I have a same perception with the dog, but I have in my memory a perception which I assume that corresponds to the perception which the dog has at the moment. But also here I can (metaphorically) say that these two perception are the same perception because I assume and infer and check that the hunger perception which I have is the best fit with the perception which I have inferred that the dog has.

There are two background premises which are required for those previous inferences to be rational. One is that I and the dog have sufficiently similar sensory functions. If they are too different it is harder and harder to trust that my perceptions have any correspondence with the perceptions of that other creature. The second premise is still much more important because it is in a way also a premise for the first premise. This second premise is about RREVs (Real Reality Environmental Variables) or the objects of the perceptions. According to it there must be something (we do not know what) in the real reality (either outside or inside the perceiving and controlling organisms) which can be perceived as food or hunger or any perception at all and which can be affected by our actions (output) in such a consistent and predictable manner that the successful control is possible.

I think you went a bit off the rails here on this one. Where I have trouble with what you’re say is in the last sentence but I will agree that for control of such a perception the sentence if correct. However, for a perception to exist it is not necessary to be able to affect the RREV at all. For example we can perceive the color of the sky but we can not (at least normally) control that color.

Think that there were two somewhat similar RREVs which both we perceive as food: they look like a food, they taste like food, feel and smell like a food. But still they are different so that if you eat the first one your sugar level of the blood rises and you feel full and nice, but if you eat the other one you instead get sick or you can even die. In the history of evolution this kind of situations may have happened often: Others have perceived wrongly and they have suffered and died. Others have had slightly different perceptual functions and have been able to make the difference beforehand and they stayed alive and procreated. In this way the RREVs have constrained our perceptual functions depending on the ways we as species have had to make our living. That is why we humans can have so similar perceptual functions that it is reasonable to say in sufficiently simple cases that we have “same” perceptions. But if there are different species or complicated situations with hierarchically higher and learned perceptions then it is much better to talk about similar perceptions than same perceptions – and even that similarity may be often susceptible. But even in those cases I can assume that possibly the other subject perceives the same or similar RREV that I perceive in my perception. I can test this assumption by trying to control my perception to somewhat different value (by affecting something real in the common environment of me and the other). If I perceive that the other one then affects the reality so that it cancels my preceding effect and returns my perception back to its initial value then I can infer that whatever is the perception of the other one it is still about the same RREV than my perception.

Many (all?) of the functions handled by the brain stem are probably formed through the evolutionary experience process you described above. Most of the motor control functions involving the world external to the human are likely learned during gestation and shortly after being born (though they remain subject to reorganization throughout life [in a healthy human anyway]).

I think your suggestion about ‘similar’ vs ‘same’ is a good one. I’m not so sure that it needs to be used in the case for the dog example since most humans have at least some experience with the example. But in a detailed discussion ‘similar’ would probably be appropriate. Especially if discussing the class of testing as you did in the discussion above.

This same applies also to internal perceptions like hunger. We have a perceptual function which make it possible to us to perceive whether we are hungry or not. But sometimes we can perceive wrongly. For example I often feel hungry if I am tired. If I am really hungry (there is in me a RREV which is the right object of hunger) then I can control that perception by eating some food (if that happens to be a “right food”), but if I am tired then eating doesn’t help but instead I have to take some rest or sleep.

Actually thirst is very commonly interpreted by people as hunger. That is one of the reasons that many medical practitioners recommend that a person drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes before eating to see if the perception of hunger goes away. Your example here is, I think, an excellent example of our potential for misinterpreting a perceptual signal.

As I said earlier, we don’t know what these RREVs are but we have models of them in our perceptions, just like sciences have models of them in their theories. The duty of a model is to correspond its object, that which it is a model of. The better model correspond better and worse correspond worse. This goodness of models can be often called truth. There are (at least) two ways how the goodness of a model can be evaluated. The first is control: the better model enables better control. The second is comparing the models: a model which cannot be controlled may be good if it suits well with models which can be controlled. I believe that the physics (so called fundamental physics) has a special duty to try to find out the basic particles and building blocks of our reality, but we may be quite far from finding them at the moment. But also the models of other sciences, like biology, psychology, economy, geology etc. can as well have (more or less) true models, which are hardly replaceable by the models of physics in practice. Especially I think that PCT should have a similarly basic position among sciences of alive sphere that the theory of relativity or quantum mechanics have in the inorganic spheres.

I’m mixed on how I think I should respond to this paragraph. I agree that, in many cases you cited, physics models are impractical for much of their work. Physics can introduce far too much detail. The first and chemistry and geology among others must not violate the theories of physics or if they do in a provable way then the physics theory must be revised.

Until PCT there was no hard science for behavioral science. However, PCT is very often useful within the behavioral sciences directly. For example in counseling and in therapy.

I hope that I have contributed to an excellent contribution to the discussion.

bill

Eetu

Eetu

Boris

Eetu

There is no “CV” in external environment as you can’t explain too many behaviors with such an approcah. But you can cause deeper misunderstandng of PCT and you can cause that PCT will has less and less value showing where Bill was contradicting himself. Anyway Rick, I think that you give a dame about PCT. But you are taking care of your ass and nonsesne RCT.

From: Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

EP: Hmm, just a thought: The control (any control of perception, except temporarily in imagination) is constrained by “Real Reality” (RR). Powers says in the quotation: “When we apply a disturbance, we apply it to CV, not to p.” This applies also to observer: she has a perception p of the CV. When she applies a disturbance (because of TCV), she applies it to CV not to her p.

RM: I think the problem is in thinking of a CV as something to be perceived. In fact, the CV is a perception for both the observer and the controller. It is an actual perception for the observer; the distance between cursor and target, for example, is a perception for me as an observer; it is also a perception in theory for the controller. The theoretical nature of the controller’s perception is indicated by the fact that the CV is represented as the theoretical variable p in the model of the controller.

HB : Observer will perceive whatever is outside in his way and controller in his way. What observer will perceive and control is question for TCV. But I’m sure that most people will not perceive “CV”. And I’m sure you wouldn’t be one of them.

EP: Thus that which is called here CV is outside of both the controller and the observer.

RM: The CV actually exists only as a perception inside the observer (in fact) and in the controller (in theory). The CV certainly can “look like” it is “outside” of the controller and observer, just as the distance between cursor and target appears to be “outside” both. But according to PCT the CV is inside the brains of both the observer and controller.

HB : How would you know that “CV” is inside observer ? In theory ? Or in practice.

RM: According to the PCT model, the CV is a perception (in both the observer and controller) inasmuch as it is a FUNCTION of variables in real reality (RR).

HB : According to PCT “CV” is not a perception. You are lying Rick. There is no “Controlled Variable” in external environment and no “Controlled Perceptual Variable” in observer according to PCT.

cid:image001.jpg@01D37ABE.36063DF0

EP: What the observer infers and claims to be controlled is thus the object of her own perception, something in RR which she assumes (because of the empirical findings) to be also the object of the perception of the controller.

RM: The observer doing the TCV does not have to infer anything about the “object of her own perception” that the controller is controlling.

RM : The observer doing the TCV simply observes that something she perceives – such as the distance between cursor and target – is being controlled in the sense that it is being protected from disturbance by the actions of the controller.

HB : You are breaking World Record in talking nonsense. And how controller is “protecting distance between cursor and target”. With Telekinesis ? Or with yome “magnetic field” ? Or maybe he is protecting socket that somebody wouldn’t pull out electrical cable and cause the end of “experiment”. I must say that I agree with you.

RM earlier : In my rush to show that this is not the case I came up with what has to be the dumbest rebuttal of all time – outdoing even myself in stupidity;-)

RM : The observer may think of that perception – the CV-- as an objective variable in the outside world; the distance between cursor and target, for example, certainly seems like it is “out there”. But the variable that appears to be “out there” is actually the result of a perceptual computation – a FUNCTION of sensory input – that produces that apparent reality. For example, the distance between cursor and target is the result of a perceptual computation that involves taking the difference between two sensory inputs – one from the cursor and the other from the target.

HB : Sorry Rick PCT is not working in this way. How do you imagine that “two sensory inputs” look like. X and Y axis like in your Toy Helicopter experiment with Schaffer ? Target through left and cursor through right eye ???

RM : So the FUNCTION that results in the appearance of the CV as the distance between cursor and target is a subtraction.

EP: Thus, I think that RREV (or simply just “object of perception”) is a useful and necessary concept because without it one must say something like this: “The controller is controlling the same perception which the observer has”, which literally means that there is one perception which is common to and shared between controller and observer.

RM: I consider that a feature, not a bug. When an observer has successfully tested to determine the variable the controller is controlling, the observer can be said, for all intents and purposes, to be perceiving what the controller is perceiving – the CV.

EP: Yet we know that those two subjects certainly have both their own perceptions – they have their own perceptual signals and those signals are not necessary similar.

RM: If the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable controlled by the controller is not the same as the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable that the observer thinks is being controlled, the observer will realize this immediately (because the controller will not be systematically resisting disturbances applied to this variable). In this case, the observer will change her hypothesis about the variable that is actually being controlled. The observer will continue to change hypotheses about the CV until she hits on one that is protected from all disturbances.

HB : Are there also bullit disturbances ? Describe to us hypothesis about CV being “protected” from all disturbances ??? Which are all these disturbances that you should protect “distance” from ? He,he. What an imagination ?

RM : In that case, she has discovered a variable the controller is controlling – the CV – and, for all intents and purposes, is, perceiving what the controller is perceiving.

EP: If the bat perceives a fly using its ultra sounds and sensible ears it must be very different perception compared the visual perception of the bat researcher who sees those ultrasounds from a measuring device (or the fly visually). What is common to the perceptions of the bat and the researcher is not the perceptions as such but the object of these perceptions, some RREV, even though this RREV is described in the research report by using the perceptions of the researcher (and her assumptions of the possible perceptions of the readers).

RM: The observer doesn’t have to experience the CV in the same way as the controller does in order to successfully determine what perception the controller is controlling.

HB : So now you are saying that observer and controller do not perceive CV in the same way ?

RM : This can be illustrated with the compensatory tracking task. The observer of the behavior in this task doesn’t need to actually see the difference between cursor and target on the screen as the controller does that task.

HB : So observer has covered eyes with yomething so that he doesn’t perceive the same “CV” as controller ??? He,he. What an imagination.

RM : The observer can tell from a plot of the difference between the position of the cursor are target varying over time (along with a plot of the disturbance and the controller’s output) that the perception (cursor - target) is the CV.

HB : Controller must be a good “teacher” to explain to observer what she/he is perceiving ?

Boris

Be

Rick

Eetu

Richard S. Marken

I think that process is also an example of evolutionary development
though it involves an easily observed physical difference.

image002109.jpg

···

On 4/14/19 3:39 AM, “Boris Hartman”
( via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

boris.hartman@masicom.net

Bill, Eetu

BL : Many

(all?) of the functions handled by the brain stem are
probably formed through the evolutionary experience process
you described above.

HB : If I

understand right you are saying that functions in nervous
system were developed through individual experiences of the
animals and through generations ? Did I understand right ?
Lamarckism ?

The theory of lamarckism would certainly fit in there.  In

reference to the brain stem, I’m suggesting that its development
is primarily evolutionary unlike muscle control for the eyes and
limbs where the higher levels of those control loops are primarily
learned through experiences by individual subjects.

Maybe a better way of expressing what I was trying to say, is

that most of the autonomic system must be complete (or nearly
complete) and fully functioning before birth. While there is some
evidence that some learning actually does occur in the womb,
primarily I believe the fundamental structure of those systems
evolved through evolutionary processes. This would be essential
for the growing fetus to survive in the womb and following birth.

For the other systems, the most basic structures would also have

been developed through evolutionary processes but most of the
higher level relationships between these systems is learned by the
specific individual (some in the womb but mostly following
birth). Included in that group would be the individuals ability
to alter the behavior of some of the autonomic systems (which may
never be learned).

For example.

Girafes were experiencing the need for grasping the leaves
higher and higher on the trees and that how their neck
through generations beacame longer and longer.

Boris

( via csgnet Mailing List)
Saturday, April 13, 2019 1:25 PM
Re: FW: Real life example (goal of our
researchgate project)

Eetu, I hope that you don't mind

my jumping in here…

On 4/13/19 3:42 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen (eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi via
csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

“Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

[Eetu

Pikkarainen 2019-04-10_13:17:31 UTC]

EP : I

think that Rick did not claim that CV is in external
environment.

HB : He

does not claim now. But go and look in CSGnet archives. I
know exactly what Rick is aiming at.

[…snipped…]

EP : What

I suggested was that there is (or can be) something in the
real reality (not necessarily outside the controller, it
can be also in her like in the case of hunger or itch),
which is perceived when the controller has a perception
which she tries to control. And I also suggested that that
something could be called RREV or just “object of
perception”.

HB :And in

Ricks case is "something in the real reality, which is
perceived as CV or distance between “cursor and target” ?
Is this what you wanted to say ? I also don’t understand
what could be “object of perception” ?

EP : This

RREV, or whatever you want to call it, is what is affected
by the controller’s output if the control is successful.

HB : I'm

sorry I don’t understand this either. “RREV” exist in
outer environment only if effects of controllers output
are successful ?

HB : Well

it’s everything to abstract. Could you give some real life
example how this works, beside Ricks “chewing” laboratory
experiment" which has no use in explaining other
behaviors.

EP: I know this is very risky but still I

want to try to invent a simple example of how I think the
things go (unfortunately simple examples are seldom
simple). I hope I can learn something myself and also that
I can at the same time reply Rick, too:

Say I have found a dog and I suspect that it

can be hungry. So I offer some food to it. It starts to
bite the food but I am still not sure so I try take the
food away. Then the doc protests by growling and
threatening to bite my hand.

Now I infer: 1) The dog controls for a

perception of having the food, because it resisted the
disturbance I caused by trying to take the food away. 2)
The dog is hungry which means that it controls for the
perception of not hungriness i.e. fullness.

Step 2 as you

have stated the problem is an assumption. If the dog
immediately begins eating the food (assuming you are
physically far enough away for the dog to perceive that you
are no longer a threat, or even did immediately begin eating
the food when you first made the food available, then I
suggest that you have a basis for making your assumption.
Otherwise you are assuming the dog wanted the food because
it was hungry when there could be other reasons. BTW, I
think your example is a great one for this discussion.

In the step one, I can perceive that the dog

has the food and I assume that also the dog perceives that
it has the food. In this sense it can be said like Rick
that I and the dog have the same perception, the
perception of this dog having this food. From my crude TCV
I inferred that the dog was controlling this
perception. So it is possible to say that the dog is
controlling the same perception which also I have. (Even
though it sounds crazy to say that the dog controls my
perception.) Of course this is actually very metaphorical
way to talk because the dog and I have our own perceptions
and we have them probably in quite a different ways. But
however it is understandable to say so. More accurate is
to say that the dog seems (empirically) to control a
perception which in some way corresponds to my perception

Nice analysis. 

The first sentence of this paragraph is exactly what I
thought Rick meant by his statement about the ‘same
perception.’ Essentially, what you also point out in this
analysis also applies, in my opinion, to the meaning Rick
was putting forth. That is, there is simply no way to even
know if the observer’s perception is identical to the
subjects perception.

The dog’s perception and my perception are

similar in a same way as the number three is similar to
the alphabet c: They have a similar position in their
respective systems. I select from my perceptions that one
which I think that best fits with that perception which I
assume the dog has. And I can check that fit with some
kind of TCV operations.

I like your

analogy too.

The step two is a little different. I infer

that the dog perceives itself (feels) hungry and I think
that it is something similar than the perception which I
have when I feel hungry, but I do not feel hungry at the
moment. So I cannot say that I have a same perception with
the dog, but I have in my memory a perception which I
assume that corresponds to the perception which the dog
has at the moment. But also here I can (metaphorically)
say that these two perception are the same
perception because I assume and infer and check that the
hunger perception which I have is the best fit with the
perception which I have inferred that the dog has.

Another spot on

analysis.

There are two background premises which are

required for those previous inferences to be rational. One
is that I and the dog have sufficiently similar sensory
functions. If they are too different it is harder and
harder to trust that my perceptions have any
correspondence with the perceptions of that other
creature. The second premise is still much more important
because it is in a way also a premise for the first
premise. This second premise is about RREVs (Real Reality
Environmental Variables) or the objects of the
perceptions. According to it there must be something (we
do not know what) in the real reality (either outside or
inside the perceiving and controlling organisms) which can
be perceived as food or hunger or any perception at all
and which can be affected by our actions (output) in such
a consistent and predictable manner that the successful
control is possible.

I think you

went a bit off the rails here on this one. Where I have
trouble with what you’re say is in the last sentence but I
will agree that for control of such a perception the
sentence if correct. However, for a perception to exist it
is not necessary to be able to affect the RREV at all. For
example we can perceive the color of the sky but we can not
(at least normally) control that color.

Think that there were two somewhat similar

RREVs which both we perceive as food: they look like a
food, they taste like food, feel and smell like a food.
But still they are different so that if you eat the first
one your sugar level of the blood rises and you feel full
and nice, but if you eat the other one you instead get
sick or you can even die. In the history of evolution this
kind of situations may have happened often: Others have
perceived wrongly and they have suffered and died. Others
have had slightly different perceptual functions and have
been able to make the difference beforehand and they
stayed alive and procreated. In this way the RREVs have
constrained our perceptual functions depending on the ways
we as species have had to make our living. That is why we
humans can have so similar perceptual functions that it
is reasonable to say in sufficiently simple cases that we
have “same” perceptions. But if there are different
species or complicated situations with hierarchically
higher and learned perceptions then it is much better to
talk about similar perceptions than same
perceptions – and even that similarity may be often
susceptible. But even in those cases I can assume that
possibly the other subject perceives the same or similar
RREV that I perceive in my perception. I can test this
assumption by trying to control my perception to somewhat
different value (by affecting something real in the common
environment of me and the other). If I perceive that the
other one then affects the reality so that it cancels my
preceding effect and returns my perception back to its
initial value then I can infer that whatever is the
perception of the other one it is still about the same
RREV than my perception.

Many (all?) of the functions

handled by the brain stem are probably formed through the
evolutionary experience process you described above. Most
of the motor control functions involving the world external
to the human are likely learned during gestation and shortly
after being born (though they remain subject to
reorganization throughout life [in a healthy human anyway]).

I think your suggestion about

‘similar’ vs ‘same’ is a good one. I’m not so sure that it
needs to be used in the case for the dog example since most
humans have at least some experience with the example. But
in a detailed discussion ‘similar’ would probably be
appropriate. Especially if discussing the class of testing
as you did in the discussion above.

This same applies also to internal

perceptions like hunger. We have a perceptual function
which make it possible to us to perceive whether we are
hungry or not. But sometimes we can perceive wrongly. For
example I often feel hungry if I am tired. If I am really
hungry (there is in me a RREV which is the right object of
hunger) then I can control that perception by eating some
food (if that happens to be a “right food”), but if I am
tired then eating doesn’t help but instead I have to take
some rest or sleep.

Actually thirst

is very commonly interpreted by people as hunger. That is
one of the reasons that many medical practitioners recommend
that a person drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes
before eating to see if the perception of hunger goes away.
Your example here is, I think, an excellent example of our
potential for misinterpreting a perceptual signal.

As I said earlier, we don’t know what these

RREVs are but we have models of them in our perceptions,
just like sciences have models of them in their theories.
The duty of a model is to correspond its object, that
which it is a model of. The better model correspond better
and worse correspond worse. This goodness of models can be
often called truth. There are (at least) two ways how the
goodness of a model can be evaluated. The first is
control: the better model enables better control. The
second is comparing the models: a model which cannot be
controlled may be good if it suits well with models which
can be controlled. I believe that the physics (so called
fundamental physics) has a special duty to try to find out
the basic particles and building blocks of our reality,
but we may be quite far from finding them at the moment.
But also the models of other sciences, like biology,
psychology, economy, geology etc. can as well have (more
or less) true models, which are hardly replaceable by the
models of physics in practice. Especially I think that PCT
should have a similarly basic position among sciences of
alive sphere that the theory of relativity or quantum
mechanics have in the inorganic spheres.

I'm mixed on how I think I should

respond to this paragraph. I agree that, in many cases you
cited, physics models are impractical for much of their
work. Physics can introduce far too much detail. The first
and chemistry and geology among others must not violate the
theories of physics or if they do in a provable way then the
physics theory must be revised.

Until PCT there was no hard

science for behavioral science. However, PCT is very often
useful within the behavioral sciences directly. For example
in counseling and in therapy.

I hope that I have contributed to

an excellent contribution to the discussion.

bill

Eetu

- Please, regard all my statements as

questions,

Eetu

Boris

Eetu

Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

Sorry Eetu that I

jumped in…

There is no "CV" in

external environment as you can’t explain too many
behaviors with such an approcah. But you can cause deeper
misunderstandng of PCT and you can cause that PCT will has
less and less value showing where Bill was contradicting
himself. Anyway Rick, I think that you give a dame about
PCT. But you are taking care of your ass and nonsesne RCT.

Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet
Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

[Rick

Marken 2019-04-09_10:25:07]

[Eetu

Pikkarainen 2019-04-09_05:34:30 UTC]

EP: Hmm, just a thought: The control (any control of

perception, except temporarily in imagination) is
constrained by “Real Reality” (RR). Powers says in the
quotation: “* When we apply a disturbance, we apply
it to CV, not to p.”* This applies also to
observer: she has a perception p of the CV. When she
applies a disturbance (because of TCV), she applies it
to CV not to her p.

RM: I

think the problem is in thinking of a CV as something * to
be perceived*. In fact, the CV is a perception for
both the observer and the controller. It is an actual
perception for the observer; the distance between
cursor and target, for example, is a perception for me
as an observer; it is also a perception in theory
for the controller. The theoretical nature of the
controller’s perception is indicated by the fact that
the CV is represented as the theoretical variable p in
the model of the controller.

HB :

Observer will perceive whatever is outside in his way
and controller in his way. What observer will perceive
and control is question for TCV. But I’m sure that
most people will not perceive “CV”. And I’m sure you
wouldn’t be one of them.

EP:

Thus that which is called here CV is outside of both
the controller and the observer.

RM: The

CV actually exists only as a perception inside the
observer (in fact) and in the controller (in theory).
The CV certainly can “look like” it is “outside” of the
controller and observer, just as the distance between
cursor and target appears to be “outside” both. But
according to PCT the CV is inside the brains of both the
observer and controller.

HB :

How would you know that “CV” is inside observer ? In
theory ? Or in practice.

EP:

Where is it then? I think it is in RR.

RM:

According to the PCT model, the CV is a perception (in
both the observer and controller) inasmuch as it is a
FUNCTION of variables in real reality (RR).

HB :

According to PCT “CV” is not a perception. You are
lying Rick. There
is no “Controlled Variable” in external environment
and no “Controlled Perceptual Variable” in observer
according to PCT.

EP:

What the observer infers and claims to be controlled
is thus the object of her own perception, something in
RR which she assumes (because of the empirical
findings) to be also the object of the perception of
the controller.

observer doing the TCV does not have to infer anything
about the “object of her own perception” that the
controller is controlling.

HB : So

observer doing TCV is some expert for TCV ?

RM : The

observer doing the TCV simply observes that something
she perceives – such as the distance between cursor and
target – is being controlled in the sense that it is
being protected from disturbance by the actions of the
controller.

HB :

You are breaking World Record in talking nonsense. And
how controller is “protecting distance between cursor
and target”. With
Telekinesis ? Or with yome “magnetic field” ?
Or maybe he is protecting socket that somebody wouldn’t
pull out electrical cable and cause the end of
“experiment”. I must say that I agree with you.

RM

earlier : In my rush to show that this is not the case
I came up with what has to be the dumbest rebuttal of
all time – outdoing even myself in stupidity;-)

observer may think of that perception – the CV-- as an
objective variable in the outside world; the distance
between cursor and target, for example, certainly seems
like it is “out there”. But the variable that appears to
be “out there” is actually the result of a perceptual
computation – a FUNCTION of sensory input – that
produces that apparent reality. For example, the
distance between cursor and target is the result of a
perceptual computation that involves taking the
difference between two sensory inputs – one from the
cursor and the other from the target.

HB :

Sorry Rick PCT is not working in this way. How do you
imagine that “two sensory inputs” look like. X and Y
axis like in your Toy Helicopter experiment with
Schaffer ? Target through left and cursor
through right eye ???

RM : So

the FUNCTION that results in the appearance of the CV as
the distance between cursor and target is a subtraction.

you perceived subtraction ?

EP:

Thus, I think that RREV (or simply just “object of
perception”) is a useful and necessary concept because
without it one must say something like this: “The
controller is controlling the same perception which
the observer has”, which literally means that there is
one perception which is common to and shared between
controller and observer.

RM: I

consider that a feature, not a bug. When an observer
has successfully tested to determine the variable the
controller is controlling, the observer can be said,
for all intents and purposes, to be perceiving what the
controller is perceiving – the CV.

HB :

Did you try this with anybody or you are just
imagining and dreaming ?

EP:

Yet we know that those two subjects certainly have
both their own perceptions – they have their own
perceptual signals and those signals are not necessary
similar.

RM: If

the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable
controlled by the controller is not the same as the
perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable that
the observer thinks is being controlled, the observer
will realize this immediately (because the controller
will not be systematically resisting disturbances
applied to this variable). In this case, the observer
will change her hypothesis about the variable that is
actually being controlled. The observer will continue to
change hypotheses about the CV until she hits on one
that is protected from all disturbances.

HB :

Are there also bullit disturbances ? Describe to us
hypothesis about CV being “protected” from all
disturbances ??? Which are all these disturbances that
you should protect “distance” from ? He,he. What an
imagination ?

RM : In

that case, she has discovered a variable the controller
is controlling – the CV – and, for all intents and
purposes, is, perceiving what the controller is
perceiving.

controlled and observer are perceiving the same “CV” ?

EP:

If the bat perceives a fly using its ultra sounds and
sensible ears it must be very different perception
compared the visual perception of the bat researcher
who sees those ultrasounds from a measuring device (or
the fly visually). What is common to the perceptions
of the bat and the researcher is not the perceptions
as such but the object of these perceptions, some
RREV, even though this RREV is described in the
research report by using the perceptions of the
researcher (and her assumptions of the possible
perceptions of the readers).

observer doesn’t have to experience the CV in the same
way as the controller does in order to successfully
determine what perception the controller is
controlling.

now you are saying that observer and controller do not
perceive CV in the same way ?

RM : This

can be illustrated with the compensatory tracking task.
The observer of the behavior in this task doesn’t need
to actually see the difference between cursor and target
on the screen as the controller does that task.

observer has covered eyes with yomething so that he
doesn’t perceive the same “CV” as controller ???
He,he. What an imagination.

observer can tell from a plot of the difference between
the position of the cursor are target varying over time
(along with a plot of the disturbance and the
controller’s output) that the perception (cursor -
target) is the CV.

HB :

Controller must be a good “teacher” to explain to
observer what she/he is perceiving ?

Boris

Be

Rick

Eetu

-

Please, regard all my statements as questions,

no

matter how they are formulated.

Richard

S. Marken

"Perfection

is achieved not when you have
nothing more to add, but when
you

wrleach@cableone.netcsgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent:
**To:**csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject:

[Eetu Pikkarainen 2019-04-15_06:11:32 UTC]

According to BP in LCSIII p.125: “I think evolution results from the capacity of organisms to reorganize at very low levels, in genome.” Reorganizational changes take
place inside and along the process of control and these small changes do not even need to be mutations as Estonian biologist Kalevi Kull has shown in the attached article. That is quite a strong support to kind of a Lamarckian view.

image002109.jpg

Kull adaptive evolution without.pdf (91.6 KB)

···

Eetu

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 7:09 AM
Importance: High

On 4/14/19 3:39 AM, “Boris Hartman” (boris.hartman@masicom.net via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

Bill, Eetu

BL : Many (all?) of the functions handled by the brain stem are probably formed through the evolutionary experience process you described above.

HB : If I understand right you are saying that functions in nervous system were developed through individual experiences of the animals and through generations ? Did I understand
right ? Lamarckism ?

The theory of lamarckism would certainly fit in there. In reference to the brain stem, I’m suggesting that its development is primarily evolutionary unlike muscle control for the eyes and limbs where the higher levels of those
control loops are primarily learned through experiences by individual subjects.

Maybe a better way of expressing what I was trying to say, is that most of the autonomic system must be complete (or nearly complete) and fully functioning before birth. While there is some evidence that some learning actually
does occur in the womb, primarily I believe the fundamental structure of those systems evolved through evolutionary processes. This would be essential for the growing fetus to survive in the womb and following birth.

For the other systems, the most basic structures would also have been developed through evolutionary processes but most of the higher level relationships between these systems is learned by the specific individual (some in the
womb but mostly following birth). Included in that group would be the individuals ability to alter the behavior of some of the autonomic systems (which may never be learned).

For example. Girafes were experiencing the need for grasping the leaves higher and higher on the trees and that how their neck through generations beacame longer and longer.

I think that process is also an example of evolutionary development though it involves an easily observed physical difference.

Boris

From: Bill Leach (wrleach@cableone.net via csgnet Mailing List)
csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

On 4/13/19 3:42 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen (eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

[…snipped…]

EP : What I suggested was that there is (or can be) something in the real reality (not necessarily outside the controller, it can be also in her like in the
case of hunger or itch), which is perceived when the controller has a perception which she tries to control. And I also suggested that that something could be called RREV or just “object of perception”.

HB :And in Ricks case is "something in the real reality, which is perceived as CV or distance between “cursor and target” ? Is this what you wanted to say
? I also don’t understand what could be “object of perception” ?

HB : Well it’s everything to abstract. Could you give some real life example how this works, beside Ricks “chewing” laboratory experiment" which has no use
in explaining other behaviors.

EP: I know this is very risky but still I want to try to invent a simple example of how I think the things go (unfortunately simple examples are seldom simple).
I hope I can learn something myself and also that I can at the same time reply Rick, too:

Say I have found a dog and I suspect that it can be hungry. So I offer some food to it. It starts to bite the food but I am still not sure so I try take the
food away. Then the doc protests by growling and threatening to bite my hand.

Now I infer: 1) The dog controls for a perception of having the food, because it resisted the disturbance I caused by trying to take the food away. 2) The
dog is hungry which means that it controls for the perception of not hungriness i.e. fullness.

Step 2 as you have stated the problem is an assumption. If the dog immediately begins eating the food (assuming you are physically far enough away for the dog to perceive that you
are no longer a threat, or even did immediately begin eating the food when you first made the food available, then I suggest that you have a basis for making your assumption. Otherwise you are assuming the dog wanted the food because it was hungry when there
could be other reasons. BTW, I think your example is a great one for this discussion.

In the step one, I can perceive that the dog has the food and I assume that also the dog perceives that it has the food. In this sense it can be said like
Rick that I and the dog have the same perception, the perception of this dog having this food. From my crude TCV I inferred that the dog was controlling
this perception. So it is possible to say that the dog is controlling the same perception which also I have. (Even though it sounds crazy to say that the dog controls my perception.) Of course this is actually very metaphorical way to talk because the
dog and I have our own perceptions and we have them probably in quite a different ways. But however it is understandable to say so. More accurate is to say that the dog seems (empirically) to control a perception which in some way corresponds to my perception

Nice analysis. The first sentence of this paragraph is exactly what I thought Rick meant by his statement about the ‘same perception.’ Essentially, what you also point out in this
analysis also applies, in my opinion, to the meaning Rick was putting forth. That is, there is simply no way to even know if the observer’s perception is identical to the subjects perception.

The dog’s perception and my perception are similar in a same way as the number three is similar to the alphabet c: They have a similar position in their respective
systems. I select from my perceptions that one which I think that best fits with that perception which I assume the dog has. And I can check that fit with some kind of TCV operations.

I like your analogy too.

The step two is a little different. I infer that the dog perceives itself (feels) hungry and I think that it is something similar than the perception which
I have when I feel hungry, but I do not feel hungry at the moment. So I cannot say that I have a same perception with the dog, but I have in my memory a perception which I assume that corresponds to the perception which the dog has at the moment. But also
here I can (metaphorically) say that these two perception are the same perception because I assume and infer and check that the hunger perception which I have is the best fit with the perception which I have inferred that the dog has.

There are two background premises which are required for those previous inferences to be rational. One is that I and the dog have sufficiently similar sensory
functions. If they are too different it is harder and harder to trust that my perceptions have any correspondence with the perceptions of that other creature. The second premise is still much more important because it is in a way also a premise for the first
premise. This second premise is about RREVs (Real Reality Environmental Variables) or the objects of the perceptions. According to it there must be something (we do not know what) in the real reality (either outside or inside the perceiving and controlling
organisms) which can be perceived as food or hunger or any perception at all and which can be affected by our actions (output) in such a consistent and predictable manner that the successful control is possible.

I think you went a bit off the rails here on this one. Where I have trouble with what you’re say is in the last sentence but I will agree that for control of such a perception the
sentence if correct. However, for a perception to exist it is not necessary to be able to affect the RREV at all. For example we can perceive the color of the sky but we can not (at least normally) control that color.

Think that there were two somewhat similar RREVs which both we perceive as food: they look like a food, they taste like food, feel and smell like a food. But
still they are different so that if you eat the first one your sugar level of the blood rises and you feel full and nice, but if you eat the other one you instead get sick or you can even die. In the history of evolution this kind of situations may have happened
often: Others have perceived wrongly and they have suffered and died. Others have had slightly different perceptual functions and have been able to make the difference beforehand and they stayed alive and procreated. In this way the RREVs have constrained
our perceptual functions depending on the ways we as species have had to make our living. That is why we humans can have so similar perceptual functions that it is reasonable to say in sufficiently simple cases that we have “same” perceptions. But if there
are different species or complicated situations with hierarchically higher and learned perceptions then it is much better to talk about similar perceptions than
same perceptions – and even that similarity may be often susceptible. But even in those cases I can assume that possibly the other subject perceives the same or similar RREV that I perceive in my perception. I can test this assumption by trying to control
my perception to somewhat different value (by affecting something real in the common environment of me and the other). If I perceive that the other one then affects the reality so that it cancels my preceding effect and returns my perception back to its initial
value then I can infer that whatever is the perception of the other one it is still about the same RREV than my perception.

Many (all?) of the functions handled by the brain stem are probably formed through the evolutionary experience process you described above. Most of the motor control functions involving the world external to the human are likely
learned during gestation and shortly after being born (though they remain subject to reorganization throughout life [in a healthy human anyway]).

I think your suggestion about ‘similar’ vs ‘same’ is a good one. I’m not so sure that it needs to be used in the case for the dog example since most humans have at least some experience with the example. But in a detailed discussion
‘similar’ would probably be appropriate. Especially if discussing the class of testing as you did in the discussion above.

This same applies also to internal perceptions like hunger. We have a perceptual function which make it possible to us to perceive whether we are hungry or
not. But sometimes we can perceive wrongly. For example I often feel hungry if I am tired. If I am really hungry (there is in me a RREV which is the right object of hunger) then I can control that perception by eating some food (if that happens to be a “right
food”), but if I am tired then eating doesn’t help but instead I have to take some rest or sleep.

Actually thirst is very commonly interpreted by people as hunger. That is one of the reasons that many medical practitioners recommend that a person drink a glass of water and wait
a few minutes before eating to see if the perception of hunger goes away. Your example here is, I think, an excellent example of our potential for misinterpreting a perceptual signal.

As I said earlier, we don’t know what these RREVs are but we have models of them in our perceptions, just like sciences have models of them in their theories.
The duty of a model is to correspond its object, that which it is a model of. The better model correspond better and worse correspond worse. This goodness of models can be often called truth. There are (at least) two ways how the goodness of a model can be
evaluated. The first is control: the better model enables better control. The second is comparing the models: a model which cannot be controlled may be good if it suits well with models which can be controlled. I believe that the physics (so called fundamental
physics) has a special duty to try to find out the basic particles and building blocks of our reality, but we may be quite far from finding them at the moment. But also the models of other sciences, like biology, psychology, economy, geology etc. can as well
have (more or less) true models, which are hardly replaceable by the models of physics in practice. Especially I think that PCT should have a similarly basic position among sciences of alive sphere that the theory of relativity or quantum mechanics have in
the inorganic spheres.

I’m mixed on how I think I should respond to this paragraph. I agree that, in many cases you cited, physics models are impractical for much of their work. Physics can introduce far too much detail. The first and chemistry and
geology among others must not violate the theories of physics or if they do in a provable way then the physics theory must be revised.

Until PCT there was no hard science for behavioral science. However, PCT is very often useful within the behavioral sciences directly. For example in counseling and in therapy.

bill

Eetu

Eetu

Boris

Eetu

There is no “CV” in external environment as you can’t explain too many behaviors with such an approcah. But you can cause deeper misunderstandng of PCT and you can cause
that PCT will has less and less value showing where Bill was contradicting himself. Anyway Rick, I think that you give a dame about PCT. But you are taking care of your ass and nonsesne RCT.

EP: Hmm, just a thought: The control (any control of perception, except temporarily in imagination) is constrained by “Real Reality” (RR). Powers says in the quotation: “When we apply a disturbance, we apply it to CV, not to p.” This applies also to
observer: she has a perception p of the CV. When she applies a disturbance (because of TCV), she applies it to CV not to her p.

RM: I think the problem is in thinking of a CV as something
to be perceived. In fact, the CV is a perception for both the observer and the controller. It is an
actual perception for the observer; the distance between cursor and target, for example, is a perception for me as an observer; it is also a perception
in theory for the controller. The theoretical nature of the controller’s perception is indicated by the fact that the CV is represented as the theoretical variable p in the model of the controller.

HB : Observer will perceive whatever is outside in his way and controller in his way. What observer will perceive and control is question for TCV. But I’m
sure that most people will not perceive “CV”. And I’m sure you wouldn’t be one of them.

RM: The CV actually exists only as a perception inside the observer (in fact) and in the controller (in theory). The CV certainly can “look like” it is “outside” of the controller and observer, just as the distance
between cursor and target appears to be “outside” both. But according to PCT the CV is inside the brains of both the observer and controller.

HB : According to PCT “CV” is not a perception. You are lying Rick.
There is no “Controlled Variable” in external environment and no “Controlled Perceptual Variable” in observer according to PCT.

EP: What the observer infers and claims to be controlled is thus the object of her own perception, something in RR which she assumes (because of the empirical findings)
to be also the object of the perception of the controller.

RM : The observer doing the TCV simply observes that something she perceives – such as the distance between cursor and target – is being controlled in the sense that it is being protected from disturbance by
the actions of the controller.

HB : You are breaking World Record in talking nonsense. And how controller is “protecting distance between cursor and target”.
With Telekinesis ? Or with yome “magnetic field” ? Or maybe he is protecting socket that somebody wouldn’t pull out electrical cable and cause the end of “experiment”. I must say that I agree with
you.

RM earlier : In my rush to show that this is not the case I came up with what has to be the dumbest rebuttal of all time – outdoing even myself in stupidity;-)

RM : The observer may think of that perception – the CV-- as an objective variable in the outside world; the distance between cursor and target, for example, certainly seems like it is “out there”. But the variable
that appears to be “out there” is actually the result of a perceptual computation – a FUNCTION of sensory input – that produces that apparent reality. For example, the distance between cursor and target is the result of a perceptual computation that involves
taking the difference between two sensory inputs – one from the cursor and the other from the target.

HB : Sorry Rick PCT is not working in this way. How do you imagine that “two sensory inputs” look like. X and Y axis like in your Toy Helicopter experiment
with Schaffer ? Target through left and cursor through right eye ???

EP: Thus, I think that RREV (or simply just “object of perception”) is a useful and necessary concept because without it one must say something like this: “The controller
is controlling the same perception which the observer has”, which literally means that there is one perception which is common to and shared between controller and observer.

RM: I consider that a feature, not a bug. When an observer has successfully tested to determine the variable the controller is controlling, the observer can be said, for all intents and purposes, to be perceiving
what the controller is perceiving – the CV.

EP: Yet we know that those two subjects certainly have both their own perceptions – they have their own perceptual signals and those signals are not necessary similar.

RM: If the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable controlled by the controller is not the same as the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable that the observer thinks is being controlled,
the observer will realize this immediately (because the controller will not be systematically resisting disturbances applied to this variable). In this case, the observer will change her hypothesis about the variable that is actually being controlled. The
observer will continue to change hypotheses about the CV until she hits on one that is protected from all disturbances.

HB : Are there also bullit disturbances ? Describe to us hypothesis about CV being “protected” from all disturbances ??? Which are all these disturbances that
you should protect “distance” from ? He,he. What an imagination ?

EP: If the bat perceives a fly using its ultra sounds and sensible ears it must be very different perception compared the visual perception of the bat researcher who
sees those ultrasounds from a measuring device (or the fly visually). What is common to the perceptions of the bat and the researcher is not the perceptions as such but the object of these perceptions, some RREV, even though this RREV is described in the research
report by using the perceptions of the researcher (and her assumptions of the possible perceptions of the readers).

RM : This can be illustrated with the compensatory tracking task. The observer of the behavior in this task doesn’t need to actually see the difference between cursor and target on the screen as the controller
does that task.

RM : The observer can tell from a plot of the difference between the position of the cursor are target varying over time (along with a plot of the disturbance and the controller’s output) that the perception
(cursor - target) is the CV.

Boris

Be

Rick

Eetu

Richard S. Marken

The Lamarckian theory probably actually explains how many evolutionary changes start. Am I correct that Lamrckian theory also includes carrying some (for want of a better term) attitudinal changes foreword into offspring?

<snip>

···

On 4/15/19 12:23 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen (<mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi>eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

According to BP in LCSIII p.125: “I think evolution results from the capacity of organisms to reorganize at very low levels, in genome.” Reorganizational changes take place inside and along the process of control and these small changes do not even need to be mutations as Estonian biologist Kalevi Kull has shown in the attached article. That is quite a strong support to kind of a Lamarckian view.

Eetu

Bill, Eetu

···

From: Bill Leach (wrleach@cableone.net via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 8:45 AM

On 4/15/19 12:23 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen (eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

According to BP in LCSIII p.125: “I think evolution results from the capacity of organisms to reorganize at very low levels, in genome.� Reorganizational changes take place inside and along the process of control and these small changes do not even need to be mutations as Estonian biologist Kalevi Kull has shown in the attached article. That is quite a strong support to kind of a Lamarckian view.

HB : You forgot to add that Bill Powers “presented” his “Lamarckian” theory on CSGnet, and if I remember right even Rick thought that it was nonsense. Search through CSGnet archives. Not mentioning some other members. The problem of “theory of reorganization” is mutliple. That’s why I proposed other way of explaining how genetic control “mediate reference signals” to “intrinsic variables”. You can see “arrow” in improved version of diagram on p. 191 (B.CP) which was presented by Dag after Bill died. And Dag was involved in discussion about the “arrow” so he can tell you more in detail why “reorganization” is problematic. I think that Earling is on good way to find out what’s wrong with Bills theory of “reorganization”.

BL : The Lamarckian theory probably actually explains how many evolutionary changes start. Am I correct that Lamrckian theory also includes carrying some (for want of a better term) attitudinal changes foreword into offspring?

HB : Sory to say Bill Leach and Eetu. You are not correct. Lamarckism is nonsense. The last person who tried to prove that Lamarck was right, was his coworker. And guess what. He made suicide because he was cheating with the experiment with “cutting mice tales” and he got caught. But you must be acquanited with this facts about Lamarckism.

I don’t understand why don’t you use Darwinian theory of evolution. What’s wrong with it ?

I’d advise you both (if you have time of course) to read Gary Czico’s books. Very good explanation of evolution and history of development o “human thought” from many aspects. These were one of rare books I read “over night”. And you know what’s the advantage of reading his books. You can get them on Internet for free :blush:

Boris

Bill

image002109.jpg

···

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 6:09 AM

On 4/14/19 3:39 AM, “Boris Hartman” (boris.hartman@masicom.net via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

Bill, Eetu

HB : If I understand right you are saying that functions in nervous system were developed through individual experiences of the animals and through generations ? Did I understand right ? Lamarckism ?

BL : The theory of lamarckism would certainly fit in there.

HB : Well you dissapointed me again. I thought that somebody with basic knowledge of physiology would understand how organisms develope from the "would understand how “biological experiences” are transffered to "off-springs. But you were doing fine before.

BL : Also, a famous DNA researcher (whose name I’ve forgotten and is now deceased) published a paper detailing closed loop negative feedback control system in the DNA

HB : Right. But in physiology “genetic control” is known for ong time. And you’ll probably understand that whatever is “trasnffereed to off-springs” is “written” in DNA. So if there are any differences in “off-springs” there are in different DNA of “sex cells” which could be “damaged”. Usually we are talking about “mutations”. That’s the only mechanism for “transffering biological experiences” to “offsprings”. There is no other way.

BL : In reference to the brain stem, I’m suggesting that its development is primarily evolutionary unlike muscle control for the eyes and limbs where the higher levels of those control loops are primarily learned through experiences by individual subjects.

HB : Whatever are references which you mentioned have genetical source. So individual experiences will be remembered if they somehow influence DNA in “sex-cells” so that organism with some “experiences” will be created.

BL : Maybe a better way of expressing what I was trying to say, is that most of the autonomic system must be complete (or nearly complete) and fully functioning before birth.

HB : That’s we are talking about. Everything is defined by DNA structure “before birth”.

BL : While there is some evidence that some learning actually does occur in the womb, primarily I believe the fundamental structure of those systems evolved through evolutionary processes.

HB : And evolutionary process let us say started 4.5. bilion years back and through changes (mutations) in DNA structure characteristics were “transfffered” to “off-spings”. There is no other mechanism.

BL : This would be essential for the growing fetus to survive in the womb and following birth.

HB : Whatever fetus has developed and will develope for survival is “written in their” DNA (genes). Human life begin with fertilization. So whatever is “written” in both cells will combine and will develope in own way into organism.

BL : For the other systems, the most basic structures would also have been developed through evolutionary processes…

HB : Which is ?

BL : …but most of the higher level relationships between these systems is learned by the specific individual (some in the womb but mostly following birth).

HB : Whatever function nervous system or other system are perfroming is “written” in their individual DNA structure and was developed so that it can perform functions. Also abilities for cultural development. But whatever is learned with cultural development in individuals will not be “transffered” to “off-spring” if it didn’t produce any changes to “sex-cells” and their DNA structure. They are the only carrier of chracteristisc for developing living being.

BL : Included in that group would be the individuals ability to alter the behavior of some of the autonomic systems (which may never be learned).

HB : If there is any ability to alter behavior of the autonomic systems is defined by DNA.

HB earlier : For example. Girafes were experiencing the need for grasping the leaves higher and higher on the trees and that how their neck through generations beacame longer and longer.

BL : I think that process is also an example of evolutionary development though it involves an easily observed physical difference.

HB : Sorry Bill, Example with girafes is used by biologist to show how evolution was not performed. Whether girafes have their long necks or not, is matter of “genetic structure” and mutations. These structures define whether Living being will be enough “adapted” to environment and wiil survive or not.

Boris

[…snipped…]

EP : What I suggested was that there is (or can be) something in the real reality (not necessarily outside the controller, it can be also in her like in the case of hunger or itch), which is perceived when the controller has a perception which she tries to control. And I also suggested that that something could be called RREV or just “object of perception”.

HB :And in Ricks case is "something in the real reality, which is perceived as CV or distance between “cursor and target” ? Is this what you wanted to say ? I also don’t understand what could be “object of perception” ?

HB : Well it’s everything to abstract. Could you give some real life example how this works, beside Ricks “chewing” laboratory experiment" which has no use in explaining other behaviors.

EP: I know this is very risky but still I want to try to invent a simple example of how I think the things go (unfortunately simple examples are seldom simple). I hope I can learn something myself and also that I can at the same time reply Rick, too:

Say I have found a dog and I suspect that it can be hungry. So I offer some food to it. It starts to bite the food but I am still not sure so I try take the food away. Then the doc protests by growling and threatening to bite my hand.

Now I infer: 1) The dog controls for a perception of having the food, because it resisted the disturbance I caused by trying to take the food away. 2) The dog is hungry which means that it controls for the perception of not hungriness i.e. fullness.

Step 2 as you have stated the problem is an assumption. If the dog immediately begins eating the food (assuming you are physically far enough away for the dog to perceive that you are no longer a threat, or even did immediately begin eating the food when you first made the food available, then I suggest that you have a basis for making your assumption. Otherwise you are assuming the dog wanted the food because it was hungry when there could be other reasons. BTW, I think your example is a great one for this discussion.

In the step one, I can perceive that the dog has the food and I assume that also the dog perceives that it has the food. In this sense it can be said like Rick that I and the dog have the same perception, the perception of this dog having this food. From my crude TCV I inferred that the dog was controlling this perception. So it is possible to say that the dog is controlling the same perception which also I have. (Even though it sounds crazy to say that the dog controls my perception.) Of course this is actually very metaphorical way to talk because the dog and I have our own perceptions and we have them probably in quite a different ways. But however it is understandable to say so. More accurate is to say that the dog seems (empirically) to control a perception which in some way corresponds to my perception of “the dog having the food”.

Nice analysis. The first sentence of this paragraph is exactly what I thought Rick meant by his statement about the ‘same perception.’ Essentially, what you also point out in this analysis also applies, in my opinion, to the meaning Rick was putting forth. That is, there is simply no way to even know if the observer’s perception is identical to the subjects perception.

The dog’s perception and my perception are similar in a same way as the number three is similar to the alphabet c: They have a similar position in their respective systems. I select from my perceptions that one which I think that best fits with that perception which I assume the dog has. And I can check that fit with some kind of TCV operations.

I like your analogy too.

The step two is a little different. I infer that the dog perceives itself (feels) hungry and I think that it is something similar than the perception which I have when I feel hungry, but I do not feel hungry at the moment. So I cannot say that I have a same perception with the dog, but I have in my memory a perception which I assume that corresponds to the perception which the dog has at the moment. But also here I can (metaphorically) say that these two perception are the same perception because I assume and infer and check that the hunger perception which I have is the best fit with the perception which I have inferred that the dog has.

There are two background premises which are required for those previous inferences to be rational. One is that I and the dog have sufficiently similar sensory functions. If they are too different it is harder and harder to trust that my perceptions have any correspondence with the perceptions of that other creature. The second premise is still much more important because it is in a way also a premise for the first premise. This second premise is about RREVs (Real Reality Environmental Variables) or the objects of the perceptions. According to it there must be something (we do not know what) in the real reality (either outside or inside the perceiving and controlling organisms) which can be perceived as food or hunger or any perception at all and which can be affected by our actions (output) in such a consistent and predictable manner that the successful control is possible.

I think you went a bit off the rails here on this one. Where I have trouble with what you’re say is in the last sentence but I will agree that for control of such a perception the sentence if correct. However, for a perception to exist it is not necessary to be able to affect the RREV at all. For example we can perceive the color of the sky but we can not (at least normally) control that color.

Think that there were two somewhat similar RREVs which both we perceive as food: they look like a food, they taste like food, feel and smell like a food. But still they are different so that if you eat the first one your sugar level of the blood rises and you feel full and nice, but if you eat the other one you instead get sick or you can even die. In the history of evolution this kind of situations may have happened often: Others have perceived wrongly and they have suffered and died. Others have had slightly different perceptual functions and have been able to make the difference beforehand and they stayed alive and procreated. In this way the RREVs have constrained our perceptual functions depending on the ways we as species have had to make our living. That is why we humans can have so similar perceptual functions that it is reasonable to say in sufficiently simple cases that we have “same” perceptions. But if there are different species or complicated situations with hierarchically higher and learned perceptions then it is much better to talk about similar perceptions than same perceptions – and even that similarity may be often susceptible. But even in those cases I can assume that possibly the other subject perceives the same or similar RREV that I perceive in my perception. I can test this assumption by trying to control my perception to somewhat different value (by affecting something real in the common environment of me and the other). If I perceive that the other one then affects the reality so that it cancels my preceding effect and returns my perception back to its initial value then I can infer that whatever is the perception of the other one it is still about the same RREV than my perception.

Many (all?) of the functions handled by the brain stem are probably formed through the evolutionary experience process you described above. Most of the motor control functions involving the world external to the human are likely learned during gestation and shortly after being born (though they remain subject to reorganization throughout life [in a healthy human anyway]).

I think your suggestion about ‘similar’ vs ‘same’ is a good one. I’m not so sure that it needs to be used in the case for the dog example since most humans have at least some experience with the example. But in a detailed discussion ‘similar’ would probably be appropriate. Especially if discussing the class of testing as you did in the discussion above.

This same applies also to internal perceptions like hunger. We have a perceptual function which make it possible to us to perceive whether we are hungry or not. But sometimes we can perceive wrongly. For example I often feel hungry if I am tired. If I am really hungry (there is in me a RREV which is the right object of hunger) then I can control that perception by eating some food (if that happens to be a “right food”), but if I am tired then eating doesn’t help but instead I have to take some rest or sleep.

Actually thirst is very commonly interpreted by people as hunger. That is one of the reasons that many medical practitioners recommend that a person drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes before eating to see if the perception of hunger goes away. Your example here is, I think, an excellent example of our potential for misinterpreting a perceptual signal.

As I said earlier, we don’t know what these RREVs are but we have models of them in our perceptions, just like sciences have models of them in their theories. The duty of a model is to correspond its object, that which it is a model of. The better model correspond better and worse correspond worse. This goodness of models can be often called truth. There are (at least) two ways how the goodness of a model can be evaluated. The first is control: the better model enables better control. The second is comparing the models: a model which cannot be controlled may be good if it suits well with models which can be controlled. I believe that the physics (so called fundamental physics) has a special duty to try to find out the basic particles and building blocks of our reality, but we may be quite far from finding them at the moment. But also the models of other sciences, like biology, psychology, economy, geology etc. can as well have (more or less) true models, which are hardly replaceable by the models of physics in practice. Especially I think that PCT should have a similarly basic position among sciences of alive sphere that the theory of relativity or quantum mechanics have in the inorganic spheres.

I’m mixed on how I think I should respond to this paragraph. I agree that, in many cases you cited, physics models are impractical for much of their work. Physics can introduce far too much detail. The first and chemistry and geology among others must not violate the theories of physics or if they do in a provable way then the physics theory must be revised.

bill

Eetu

Eetu

Boris

Eetu

There is no “CV” in external environment as you can’t explain too many behaviors with such an approcah. But you can cause deeper misunderstandng of PCT and you can cause that PCT will has less and less value showing where Bill was contradicting himself. Anyway Rick, I think that you give a dame about PCT. But you are taking care of your ass and nonsesne RCT.

EP: Hmm, just a thought: The control (any control of perception, except temporarily in imagination) is constrained by “Real Reality” (RR). Powers says in the quotation: “When we apply a disturbance, we apply it to CV, not to p.” This applies also to observer: she has a perception p of the CV. When she applies a disturbance (because of TCV), she applies it to CV not to her p.

RM: I think the problem is in thinking of a CV as something to be perceived. In fact, the CV is a perception for both the observer and the controller. It is an actual perception for the observer; the distance between cursor and target, for example, is a perception for me as an observer; it is also a perception in theory for the controller. The theoretical nature of the controller’s perception is indicated by the fact that the CV is represented as the theoretical variable p in the model of the controller.

HB : Observer will perceive whatever is outside in his way and controller in his way. What observer will perceive and control is question for TCV. But I’m sure that most people will not perceive “CV”. And I’m sure you wouldn’t be one of them.

RM: The CV actually exists only as a perception inside the observer (in fact) and in the controller (in theory). The CV certainly can “look like” it is “outside” of the controller and observer, just as the distance between cursor and target appears to be “outside” both. But according to PCT the CV is inside the brains of both the observer and controller.

HB : According to PCT “CV” is not a perception. You are lying Rick. There is no “Controlled Variable” in external environment and no “Controlled Perceptual Variable” in observer according to PCT.

cid:image001.jpg@01D37ABE.36063DF0

EP: What the observer infers and claims to be controlled is thus the object of her own perception, something in RR which she assumes (because of the empirical findings) to be also the object of the perception of the controller.

RM : The observer doing the TCV simply observes that something she perceives – such as the distance between cursor and target – is being controlled in the sense that it is being protected from disturbance by the actions of the controller.

HB : You are breaking World Record in talking nonsense. And how controller is “protecting distance between cursor and target”. With Telekinesis ? Or with yome “magnetic field” ? Or maybe he is protecting socket that somebody wouldn’t pull out electrical cable and cause the end of “experiment”. I must say that I agree with you.

RM : The observer may think of that perception – the CV-- as an objective variable in the outside world; the distance between cursor and target, for example, certainly seems like it is “out there”. But the variable that appears to be “out there” is actually the result of a perceptual computation – a FUNCTION of sensory input – that produces that apparent reality. For example, the distance between cursor and target is the result of a perceptual computation that involves taking the difference between two sensory inputs – one from the cursor and the other from the target.

HB : Sorry Rick PCT is not working in this way. How do you imagine that “two sensory inputs” look like. X and Y axis like in your Toy Helicopter experiment with Schaffer ? Target through left and cursor through right eye ???

EP: Thus, I think that RREV (or simply just “object of perception”) is a useful and necessary concept because without it one must say something like this: “The controller is controlling the same perception which the observer has”, which literally means that there is one perception which is common to and shared between controller and observer.

RM: I consider that a feature, not a bug. When an observer has successfully tested to determine the variable the controller is controlling, the observer can be said, for all intents and purposes, to be perceiving what the controller is perceiving – the CV.

RM: If the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable controlled by the controller is not the same as the perceptual signal that corresponds to the variable that the observer thinks is being controlled, the observer will realize this immediately (because the controller will not be systematically resisting disturbances applied to this variable). In this case, the observer will change her hypothesis about the variable that is actually being controlled. The observer will continue to change hypotheses about the CV until she hits on one that is protected from all disturbances.

HB : Are there also bullit disturbances ? Describe to us hypothesis about CV being “protected” from all disturbances ??? Which are all these disturbances that you should protect “distance” from ? He,he. What an imagination ?

EP: If the bat perceives a fly using its ultra sounds and sensible ears it must be very different perception compared the visual perception of the bat researcher who sees those ultrasounds from a measuring device (or the fly visually). What is common to the perceptions of the bat and the researcher is not the perceptions as such but the object of these perceptions, some RREV, even though this RREV is described in the research report by using the perceptions of the researcher (and her assumptions of the possible perceptions of the readers).

RM : This can be illustrated with the compensatory tracking task. The observer of the behavior in this task doesn’t need to actually see the difference between cursor and target on the screen as the controller does that task.

RM : The observer can tell from a plot of the difference between the position of the cursor are target varying over time (along with a plot of the disturbance and the controller’s output) that the perception (cursor - target) is the CV.

Boris

Be

Rick

Eetu

Richard S. Marken

Bill, Eetu

Â

From: Bill Leach (<mailto:wrleach@cableone.net>wrleach@cableone.net via csgnet Mailing List) <mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu><csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 8:45 AM
To: <mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

Â

Â

According to BP in LCSIII p.125: “I think evolution results from the capacity of organisms to reorganize at very low levels, in genome.� Reorganizational changes take place inside and along the process of control and these small changes do not even need to be mutations as Estonian biologist Kalevi Kull has shown in the attached article.  That is quite a strong support to kind of a Lamarckian view.

Â

Â

HB : You forgot to add that Bill Powers "presented" his "Lamarckian" theory on CSGnet, and if I remember right even Rick thought that it was nonsense. Search through CSGnet archives. Not mentioning some other members. The problem of "theory of reorganization" is mutliple. That's why I proposed other way of explaining how genetic control "mediate reference signals" to "intrinsic variables". You can see "arrow" in improved version of diagram on p. 191 (B.CP) which was presented by Dag after Bill died. And Dag was involved in discussion about the "arrow" so he can tell you more in detail why "reorganization" is problematic. I think that Earling is on good way to find out what's wrong with Bills theory of "reorganization".

Except at the lowest levels, Bill only asserted a hypothesis about reorganization. Bill was quite aware that there far too little understanding of the changes that can be observed in the behavior of a single subject. Differences in learning capacity and speed observed in people presents a challenge. The fact that we already know that conflict in some control system simply do not require any reorganizing for correction (though we don't know that the 'monitoring' control system that causes the conflict resolution wasn't originally created through a reorganization process).

Â

BL : The Lamarckian theory probably actually explains how many evolutionary changes start. Am I correct that Lamrckian theory also includes carrying some (for want of a better term) attitudinal changes foreword into offspring?

HB : Sory to say Bill Leach and Eetu. You are not correct. Lamarckism is nonsense. The last person who tried to prove that Lamarck was right, was his coworker. And guess what. He made suicide because he was cheating with the experiment with "cutting mice tales" and he got caught. But you must be acquanited with this facts about Lamarckism.

What little I have learned (just now from Wikipedia) is that the coworker's debunking of Lamarck was itself faulty. That is, he did not prove the theory was wrong. However, it appears that the research community in general accepts the general ideas of the theory but considers the actual theory as just historical.

I don't understand why don't you use Darwinian theory of evolution. What's wrong with it ?

One reason is that when applied to life in general on Earth there are too many species that have failed to leave fossils showing any interim changes. A more important point is that Darwinian has insufficient detail on HOW the changes take place. This is not a criticism of Darwin but rather a recognition that he did have enough information to go much beyond what he postulated. In reality, the same situation that Bill found himself in with both hierarchy and reorganization.

We have plenty of research data to suggest that reorganization is probably one of the most complex systems ever seen by mankind.

The relatively recent research demonstrating the existence of inheritance of attitudes and traits from immediate ancestors, likely involving RNA, and symbiont DNA/RNA is a significant development. I maintain that such such should not be viewed as necessarily inconsistent with Darwin but does appear to be inconsistent with the length of time such changes should require based upon historical understanding of Darwin's theory.

···

On 4/15/19 9:40 AM, "Boris Hartman" (<mailto:boris.hartman@masicom.net>boris.hartman@masicom.net via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

On 4/15/19 12:23 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen (<mailto:eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi>eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi via csgnet Mailing List) wrote:

I'd advise you both (if you have time of course) to read Gary Czico's books. Very good explanation of evolution and history of development o "human thought" from many aspects. These were one of rare books I read "over night". And you know what's the advantage of reading his books. You can get them on Internet for free 😊

Boris

<snip>

Â