FYI - robots being taught goals, not actions

[From Frank Lenk (10.07.2015.0853)]

Sorry for the cross-posting. I realized I sent the email below from my work account rather than home, and it may not make it through as a result.

Frank

···

Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 8:17 AM
To: “csgnet@lists.illinois.edu”
Subject: FYI - robots being taught goals, not actions

[From Frank Lenk (10.07.2015.0815)]

FYI – I thought this showed progress, though I have no idea if PCT is actually being used.

This is the paragraph that caught my attention.

“Others have tried to copy the movements. Instead, we try to copy the goals. This is the breakthrough,” Aloimonos explained. This approach allows the robots to decide for themselves how best to combine various actions, rather
than reproducing a predetermined series of actions.

Frank

http://www.umdrightnow.umd.edu/news/robots-learn-watching-videos

The phrase “how best to combine various actions” suggests that they have some kind of system that controls actions, and that they have added a system to select which actions to control, organized by a pre-defined (“copied”) set of goals.Â

···

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Franklin Lenk frank.lenk@gmail.com wrote:

Sorry for the cross-posting. I realized I sent the email below from my work account rather than home, and it may not make it through as a result.

Frank

FYI – I thought this showed progress, though I have no idea if PCT is actually being used. Â

“Others have tried to copy the movements. Instead, we try to copy the goals. This is the breakthrough,” Aloimonos explained. This approach allows the robots to decide for themselves how best to combine various actions, rather

Frank

Maybe, some analogy to pattern languages too, but no mention of the feedback process in PCT or the cancellation of error

…………………………………………………….

Angus

···

On
Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Franklin Lenk frank.lenk@gmail.com wrote:

Frank

enk

FYI – I thought this showed progress, though I have no idea if PCT is actually being used.

Frank