series of different values of A. While this might alter the magnitudes
of some effects, it is unlikely to reverse the relationship between
A and O. Of course if someone wants to invent a model that would
have that result without being a negative feedback control system, we
could test it and see if it works. Telling the right background
story as part of the instructions would, in my opinion, probably
prevent any serious effects of repeated trials by the same subject, but
again > nobody has to take my word for that. We can just set up the
experiment to satisfy the conditions of the model and test it.
If it makes a difference, it makes a difference. If it doesn’t, it doesn’t.

!> I don’t know if this is likely to be done. I have no facilities
!> with which to do them. If anyone takes this challenge to the concept
!> of priming seriously maybe the experiments will happen. Of course
!> the best way to defend against the challenge is to ignore it, so I
!> suspect that is what will happen.

If I received a program that I could download to a CD, I have a tentative agreement from one of my two grandsons at Carthage College in Wis. to ask a psychology instructor for permission to distribute a questionaire that would gather Ariely-type data. (I’m sure the other would too.)

Acutally, it should be two programs. One where individual Ss would work on the computer version you suggest, where the program would record S name and data and analyse and print out results, and/or enter individual data from a number of Ss (friends of grandsons who might do the mouse-version on their machines) and then also do the multiple S spreadsheet, means, etc.–just like Arliely.

The program (or a separate one) to be given to a whole class would have to be printed handouts where the Ss fill in their numbers as with the Ariely exp’t. I think instructors woul permit the five to ten minutes for gathering such data, especially if we promised them the purpose and results. I would be willing to input the individual data from a couple of classes of 30 or fewer students. If there were data beyond that I would try to find “research assistants” to input the rest of the data.

Miscellaneous: I’m not sure all college kids remember their SS#, but why not the last two digits of phone number, or house number, or all of them, allowing for the multiple trials by one S you have been interested in, or for data with gaps?

I can’t remember whether my grandsons have Macs or Pcs’ Could the program work for either?

Nu?

Best,

Dick R

···

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2009.11.22.11:30 MDT)]

Dick Robertson,2009.11.22.1128CST --

If I received a program that I could download to a CD, I have a tentative agreement from one of my two grandsons at Carthage College in Wis. to ask a psychology instructor for permission to distribute a questionaire that would gather Ariely-type data. (I'm sure the other would too.)

Acutally, it should be two programs. One where individual Ss would work on the computer version you suggest, where the program would record S name and data and analyse and print out results, and/or enter individual data from a number of Ss (friends of grandsons who might do the mouse-version on their machines) and then also do the multiple S spreadsheet, means, etc.--just like Arliely.

The program (or a separate one) to be given to a whole class would have to be printed handouts where the Ss fill in their numbers as with the Ariely exp't. I think instructors would permit the five to ten minutes for gathering such data, especially if we promised them the purpose and results. I would be willing to input the individual data from a couple of classes of 30 or fewer students. If there were data beyond that I would try to find "research assistants" to input the rest of the data.

Maybe we can do the whole thing with paper and pencil.

I'm thinking of pairing up the people in the class into sellers and buyers. The seller is instructed to try to get the highest price he can for each item, but to be sure it gets sold before the eleventh round, and the buyer is told to try to pay what seems a bargain price for it, but to acquire it before the eleventh round.

On each round the seller writes the asked price in a space provided on the form where the buyer can see it, and the buyer writes the bid price in a space beside it. That's our data.

Doing it this way assures that the first price will be high and successive prices will decrease, which will give us a series of written priming numbers that the buyer can see while deciding how much to offer next. We will actually get two data sets from each round, because we can try modeling the seller, too. The priming number for the seller will be the buyer's bid on the previous round, so we get one less data point for the seller.

This way we will get data about each individual instead of across individuals. I think three items would be enough to do a pilot experiment -- say an ipod, a ball-point pen, and a hamburger.

It would be nice if some people on CSGnet would try this out with a friend and post the results, so we can see if there are any problems -- for example, ten rounds might not be enough.

What the heck, we can try it right here on CSGnet. I'll be the seller, and each person who tries it can make an offer on the form I send and send it back. I'll send the form to you right now and we can see how it works.

What do you think?

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2009.11.22.1230)]

Oh my gosh. Nov 22, the “9/11” of my generation.

Bill Powers (2009.11.22.11:30 MDT)–

What the heck, we can try it right here on CSGnet. I’ll be the seller, and each person who tries it can make an offer on the form I send and send it back. I’ll send the form to you right now and we can see how it works.

What do you think?

Send me a form too.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[FRom Dick Robertson,2009.11.22.1940CDT]

[From Bill Powers (2009.11.22.11:30 MDT)]

Dick Robertson,2009.11.22.1128CST –

If I received a program that I could download to a CD, I have a
tentative agreement from one of my two grandsons at Carthage
College
in Wis. to ask a psychology instructor for permission to
distribute
a questionaire that would gather Ariely-type data. (I’m sure
the
other would too.)

Maybe we can do the whole thing with paper and pencil.

I’m thinking of pairing up the people in the class into sellers
and buyers. The seller is instructed to try to get the highest price
he can for each item, but to be sure it gets sold before the
eleventh round, and the buyer is told to try to pay what seems a bargain
price for it, but to acquire it before the eleventh round.

On each round the seller writes the asked price in a space
provided on the form where the buyer can see it, and the buyer writes the
bid price in a space beside it. That’s our data.

Might work. We need an estimate of how long a session might take. Instructors might allow 15" or so, but probably wouldn’t go for letting it use up a whole hour of class time.

I still think that it might be possible to make a separate experiment for kids who were recruited individually, like just dropping in. They could conceivably take more time for the run–especially if cloaked as a game.

Sounds like a start.

Dick R.

···