following statement by Blaise Pascal made over 300 years ago that seems
consistent with and explainable by PCT.

**“All
men seek happiness. This is without
exception. Whatever different means they
employ, they all tend to this end. The
cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in
both, attended with different views. The
will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every
man, even of those who hang themselves.� **(Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées
(Thoughts),
Digireads.com Publishing, 2018, p. 90)

Â

For
example, Pascal’s thought seems to overlap with the quote attached that is grounded
in PCT.   (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

Â

And
so, Happiness as viewed with PCT in mind seems to be a state of satisfaction that
occurs when one’s desired perceptions are achieved by avoiding, reducing, or
eliminating neural error signals that result from differences between perceptual
and reference signals. This state of
pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an
especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time
frame, we can say that a general state of Happiness occurs when one’s desired
perceptions, both important and less important, are nearly always achieved.

Â

Does
such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Â

Happiness:
A pleasant state of satisfaction that occurs when one’s desired perceptions are
achieved, experienced, or maintained.

quote-Why do we do things.png

I like it! It does beg the question however of which perceptions of the multitude, and how relevant intrinsic references are too. Also awareness. Can you be happy that the current perceptions you are aware of are in their reference states even though many others, outside your awareness, are not?

All the best

Warren

···

On 13 Nov 2019, at 20:09, Richard Pfau (richardhpfau@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

[Richard Pfau (2019.11.13 15:08 EST)]

What
is Happiness? I ask after having read the

**“All
men seek happiness. This is without
exception. Whatever different means they
employ, they all tend to this end. The
both, attended with different views. The
will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every
man, even of those who hang themselves.� **(Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées
(Thoughts),

For
example, Pascal’s thought seems to overlap with the quote attached that is grounded
in PCT. (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

And
so, Happiness as viewed with PCT in mind seems to be a state of satisfaction that
eliminating neural error signals that result from differences between perceptual
and reference signals. This state of
pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an
especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time

Does
such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Happiness:

Following on, I expect that the disagreement about how to define happiness relates to this issue - it depends on the degree the definer is considering various reference values inside and outside awareness, at various levels…

···

On 14 Nov 2019, at 08:07, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

I like it! It does beg the question however of which perceptions of the multitude, and how relevant intrinsic references are too. Also awareness. Can you be happy that the current perceptions you are aware of are in their reference states even though many others, outside your awareness, are not?

All the best

Warren

On 13 Nov 2019, at 20:09, Richard Pfau (richardhpfau@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

What
is Happiness? I ask after having read the

**“All
men seek happiness. This is without
exception. Whatever different means they
employ, they all tend to this end. The
both, attended with different views. The
will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every
man, even of those who hang themselves.� **(Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées
(Thoughts),

For
in PCT. (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

And
and reference signals. This state of
pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an
especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time

Does
such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Happiness:

I assume that short-term Happiness can occur when a person is aware at a particular moment that his or her current perceptions are matching reference states, even though many other perceptions outside of awareness are not. Since we are not aware of nearly all of our perceptions at any given time, such Happiness would seem to occur, especially when current perceptions that one is aware of match especially important reference states.

However, for long-term Happiness to occur, I assume that nearly all of one’s perceptions must nearly always match their relevant reference states, especially intrinsic states.

Just a thought:Â Empirically looking at these assumptions/hypotheses more closely with PCT in mind would be a good research study wouldn’t it?

···

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

All the bestÂ

WarrenÂ

What
is Happiness? I ask after having read the

**“All
men seek happiness. This is without
exception. Whatever different means they
employ, they all tend to this end. The
both, attended with different views. The
will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every
man, even of those who hang themselves.� **(Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées
(Thoughts),

Â

For
in PCT.   (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

Â

And
and reference signals. This state of
pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an
especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time

Â

Does
such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Â

Happiness:

I think, taking into account the rudimentary pct theory of emotions, that “happinessâ€? is the small, repeated, exceeding of expectations.
The mere meeting of expectations would be more like tranquility in my opinion.
The daily, small victories would create happiness instead of the occasional reaching of major goals which produce a temporary peak then fade away.

Nicolas M. Kirchberger
Le 14 nov. 2019 16:46 -0500, Richard Pfau <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>, a écrit :

I assume that short-term Happiness can occur when a person is aware at a particular moment that his or her current perceptions are matching reference states, even though many other perceptions outside of awareness are not. Since we are not aware of nearly all of our perceptions at any given time, such Happiness would seem to occur, especially when current perceptions that one is aware of match especially important reference states.
However, for long-term Happiness to occur, I assume that nearly all of one's perceptions must nearly always match their relevant reference states, especially intrinsic states.
Just a thought: Empirically looking at these assumptions/hypotheses more closely with PCT in mind would be a good research study wouldn't it?

All the best
Warren

···

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM Warren Mansell <<mailto:wmansell@gmail.com>wmansell@gmail.com> wrote:

On 13 Nov 2019, at 20:09, Richard Pfau (<mailto:richardhpfau@gmail.com>richardhpfau@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu> wrote:
What is Happiness? I ask after having read the following statement by Blaise Pascal made over 300 years ago that seems consistent with and explainable by PCT.

“All men seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in both, attended with different views. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves.â€? (Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées (Thoughts), Digireads.com Publishing, 2018, p. 90)

For example, Pascal’s thought seems to overlap with the quote attached that is grounded in PCT. (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

And so, Happiness as viewed with PCT in mind seems to be a state of satisfaction that occurs when one’s desired perceptions are achieved by avoiding, reducing, or eliminating neural error signals that result from differences between perceptual and reference signals. This state of pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time frame, we can say that a general state of Happiness occurs when one’s desired perceptions, both important and less important, are nearly always achieved.

Does such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Happiness: A pleasant state of satisfaction that occurs when one’s desired perceptions are achieved, experienced, or maintained.

<quote-Why do we do things.png>

Here, “exceeding of expectationsâ€? would probably be something like defying probabilities or unexpected “goodnessâ€? I guess.

Nicolas
Le 14 nov. 2019 16:46 -0500, Richard Pfau <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>, a écrit :

I assume that short-term Happiness can occur when a person is aware at a particular moment that his or her current perceptions are matching reference states, even though many other perceptions outside of awareness are not. Since we are not aware of nearly all of our perceptions at any given time, such Happiness would seem to occur, especially when current perceptions that one is aware of match especially important reference states.
However, for long-term Happiness to occur, I assume that nearly all of one's perceptions must nearly always match their relevant reference states, especially intrinsic states.
Just a thought: Empirically looking at these assumptions/hypotheses more closely with PCT in mind would be a good research study wouldn't it?

All the best
Warren

···

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM Warren Mansell <<mailto:wmansell@gmail.com>wmansell@gmail.com> wrote:

On 13 Nov 2019, at 20:09, Richard Pfau (<mailto:richardhpfau@gmail.com>richardhpfau@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu> wrote:
What is Happiness? I ask after having read the following statement by Blaise Pascal made over 300 years ago that seems consistent with and explainable by PCT.

“All men seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in both, attended with different views. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves.â€? (Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées (Thoughts), Digireads.com Publishing, 2018, p. 90)

For example, Pascal’s thought seems to overlap with the quote attached that is grounded in PCT. (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

And so, Happiness as viewed with PCT in mind seems to be a state of satisfaction that occurs when one’s desired perceptions are achieved by avoiding, reducing, or eliminating neural error signals that result from differences between perceptual and reference signals. This state of pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time frame, we can say that a general state of Happiness occurs when one’s desired perceptions, both important and less important, are nearly always achieved.

Does such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Happiness: A pleasant state of satisfaction that occurs when one’s desired perceptions are achieved, experienced, or maintained.

I like this, Nicholas.Â

I think, taking into account the rudimentary pct theory of emotions, that  “happinessâ€? is the small, repeated, exceeding of expectations.Â
The daily, small victories would create happiness instead of the occasional reaching of major goals which produce a temporary peak then fade away.

Nicolas M. KirchbergerÂ

Le 14 nov. 2019 16:46 -0500, Richard Pfau <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>, a écrit :

I assume that short-term Happiness can occur when a person is aware at a particular moment that his or her current perceptions are matching reference states, even though many other perceptions outside of awareness are not. Since we are not aware of nearly all of our perceptions at any given time, such Happiness would seem to occur, especially when current perceptions that one is aware of match especially important reference states.
Just a thought:Â Empirically looking at these assumptions/hypotheses more closely with PCT in mind would be a good research study wouldn't it?

All the bestÂ
WarrenÂ

···

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 5:07 PM "Nicolas M. Kirchberger" <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu> wrote:

What is Happiness? I ask after having read the following statement by Blaise Pascal made over 300 years ago that seems consistent with and explainable by PCT.

“All men seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in both, attended with different views. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves.â€? (Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées (Thoughts), Digireads.com Publishing, 2018, p. 90)

Â

For example, Pascal’s thought seems to overlap with the quote attached that is grounded in PCT.   (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

Â

And so, Happiness as viewed with PCT in mind seems to be a state of satisfaction that occurs when one’s desired perceptions are achieved by avoiding, reducing, or eliminating neural error signals that result from differences between perceptual and reference signals. This state of pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time frame, we can say that a general state of Happiness occurs when one’s desired perceptions, both important and less important, are nearly always achieved.

Â

Does such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Â

--
Fred Nickols
Solution Engineer & Chief Toolmaker
Distance Consulting LLC
“Assistance at A Distanceâ€?
<http://www.nickols.us>www.nickols.us

[John Kirkland 2019 11 16 0910 NZT]
How's this RichP?
 AtaraxyÂ
Only after wasting time trying several therapies and then eventually experiencing MoL did she find ataraxy.
Cheers

I like this, Nicholas.Â

I think, taking into account the rudimentary pct theory of emotions, that  “happinessâ€? is the small, repeated, exceeding of expectations.Â

Nicolas M. KirchbergerÂ

Le 14 nov. 2019 16:46 -0500, Richard Pfau <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>, a écrit :

Just a thought:Â Empirically looking at these assumptions/hypotheses more closely with PCT in mind would be a good research study wouldn't it?

All the bestÂ
WarrenÂ

···

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 11:12 AM Fred Nickols <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu> wrote:

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 5:07 PM "Nicolas M. Kirchberger" <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu> wrote:

What is Happiness? I ask after having read the following statement by Blaise Pascal made over 300 years ago that seems consistent with and explainable by PCT.

“All men seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in both, attended with different views. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves.� (Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées (Thoughts), Digireads.com Publishing, 2018, p. 90)

Â

For example, Pascal’s thought seems to overlap with the quote attached that is grounded in PCT.   (See the attached for details. You are welcome to use or share it).

Â

And so, Happiness as viewed with PCT in mind seems to be a state of satisfaction that occurs when one’s desired perceptions are achieved by avoiding, reducing, or eliminating neural error signals that result from differences between perceptual and reference signals. This state of pleasant satisfaction may be short-term or long-term. In the short term, Happiness occurs when an especially important perception at that moment is experienced. Looking at Happiness over a longer time frame, we can say that a general state of Happiness occurs when one’s desired perceptions, both important and less important, are nearly always achieved.

Â

Does such thinking about Happiness and PCT seem on target? If so, might we define Happiness this way:

Â

--

Fred Nickols
Distance Consulting LLC
“Assistance at A Distance�
<http://www.nickols.us>> www.nickols.us

This proposal may be taraxic, if the requirement to have an input function for the word is.
In Discourse, have moved this thread from 'Uncategorized' to a new 'Emotion' category that I have created this morning. Please read and consider the category definition and the first topic. If your replies in email are not included in the Discourse topic, please consider whether or not you want to amend your level of participation.

/Bruce

[John Kirkland 2019 11 16 0910 NZT]
How's this RichP?
 AtaraxyÂ

Only after wasting time trying several therapies and then eventually experiencing MoL did she find ataraxy.
Cheers

I like this, Nicholas.Â

Nicolas M. KirchbergerÂ

All the bestÂ
WarrenÂ

···

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 3:20 PM John Kirkland <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 11:12 AM Fred Nickols <<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu> wrote:

“All men seek happiness. This is without exception. Whatever different means they employ, they all tend to this end. The cause of some going to war, and of others avoiding it, is the same desire in both, attended with different views. The will never takes the least step but to this object. This is the motive of every action of every man, even of those who hang themselves.� (Blaise Pascal, translated by W. W. Trotter, Pensées (Thoughts), Digireads.com Publishing, 2018, p. 90)

Â

Â

Â

Â

--

Fred Nickols
Distance Consulting LLC
“Assistance at A Distance�
<http://www.nickols.us>>> www.nickols.us