Hierarchy as Research Program (was Re: System Dynamics)

[From Rick Marken (2005.12.07.2210)]

Marc Abrams (2005.12.07.1822)

So either you see no connection to what you do and how I react or you simply don't care. In either case I find it offensive.

You certainly are a sensitive fellow. It looks to me like you're not really all that interested in having a critical discussion (unless what you mean is that you just want to be critical of me;-)) Nevertheless, I'll just take this opportunity to talk a little more about the PCT hierarchy, the topic that started this discussion off in the first place. There was something I wanted to mention in reply to your comment about the hierarchy being "foundational" to PCT, but I forgot. So here it is now, for those who might be interested.

There is quite a bit of evidence that control systems are organized hierarchically. But there is very little evidence that this hierarchical organization is exactly like the 11 or so level hierarchy that Bill described in B:CP, with systems controlling intensity-type perceptions at the lowest levels and system concept type perceptions at the highest. The 11 or so level hierarchy of control systems was proposed by Bill mainly, I believe, as a _hypothesis_ to guide future research based on a control of input model of behavior. The specific levels -- intensity, sensation, configuration, transition, sequence, event, you know the drill -- are hypothetical -- based on some reasonable but subjective observations -- and Bill has said repeatedly that they should not be treated as fact. The 11 or so level hierarchy was developed not only to guide research but also to show how a control of input model could, in principle, explain _all_ behavior, from the simple motor behavior that was the focus of the early applications of control theory up to very complex "cognitive" behaviors like playing chess or being a control theorist.

So the 11 or so level hierarchy is not the foundation of PCT; it is a set of guesses about how control systems _might_ be organized to account to all the different kind of behaviors we see. It was supposed to be the impetus for research but, to some extent, it has become an impediment to research, to the extent that the hierarchy is treated as "decided law". It's not decided at all. I've done some little research projects on the hierarchy; none have been published (except one in _More Mind Readings_). Now that I'll (hopefully) have more time to do PCT research I'll try to make studies of the hierarchy a focus of my research efforts.

Until we learn a great deal more about the details of the hierarchy, I suggest that it be treated as what I believe it was meant to be -- a proposal for research and a heuristic for thinking about how input control can explain some of the very complex things we see people doing.

Best

Rick

···

---
Richard S. Marken
marken@mindreadings.com
Home 310 474-0313
Cell 310 729-1400

From [Marc Abrams (2005.12.08.0936)]

In a message dated 12/8/2005 1:15:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, marken@MINDREADINGS.COM writes:

···

[From Rick Marken (2005.12.07.2210)]

Marc Abrams (2005.12.07.1822)

So either you see no connection to what you do and how I react or you
simply don’t care. In either case I find it offensive.

You certainly are a sensitive fellow.

And what if I am? Is that any reason to dismiss it? You see Rick this is exactly what I have been talking about with you and why I call you a phoney.

You espouse the idea that you ‘care’ deeply about others when in fact you can care less about others, or so it seems.

You discount my feelings and make believe they don’t exist and are not worthy of your time.

Is this your idea about tolerance or respect? Is this how you would expect and want others to treat you?

Try putting yourself in my shoes and what would you think after getting a reply like that?

Do you think I care about anything you said after that?

I’m not asking you to answer any of these questions to me. But if you want to know why folks think you are a jerk here it is.

BTW Bryan I know you are reading this so a note in passing to you. I dumped your message and did not read it. If you want to apologize to me I might consider talking with you again but until that time you cab shove it, I’m not interested nor will I read or respond to any of your posts. You may not like my language big boy but I am a man of my word.

Now, back to Rick.

If you think being dismissive of others is the way to their hearts you have some major issues, but I think you are so narcissistic that you really don’t care and that is unfortunate for you.

It looks to me like you’re not
really all that interested in having a critical discussion (unless what
you mean is that you just want to be critical of me;-))

When you start responding to what I post and say and not to what you want to advocate maybe we could have an argument; if you actually respect my ideas we might even be able to have some dialogue, but until that time you will be advocating your ideas to yourself because I’m not interested.

Nevertheless,

Yes, one way to stay in control is to be dismissive of others and not acknowledge the ideas of others as being valid and simply moving on to what you want to advocate for.

Again, a very well worn tactic of both you and Powers that have endeared you to many people.

But you will be just as dismissive about everything I have said so far because you really believe it doesn’t matter and people can’t see through any of this. Does the emperor have any clothes?

I’ll just take this opportunity to talk a little more about the PCT
hierarchy, the topic that started this discussion off in the first
place. There was something I wanted to mention in reply to your comment
about the hierarchy being “foundational” to PCT, but I forgot. So here
it is now, for those who might be interested.

I’m glad you feel everything is already in the bag. I don’t believe this to be the case.

If PCT were the only way of explaining behavioral phenomenon there would be not questions and everyone would accept it as fact but this is not the case and not simply because people are not aware of it.

Many hundreds of people have passed through this forum and have rejected the ideas presented here . Now whether that rejection was due to a lack of understanding about PCT or anything else doesn’t really matter. People have seen deficiencies that you are unwilling to acknowledge throwing all responsibility onto the shoulders of others like you did to me in this post.

Until you painfully start to acknowledge that you play an active part in this rejection, for whatever reasons you are doomed to your present place in the sun.

Again, you can pooh-pooh this all you want, but you are only hurting yourself when you do. My life, unlike Bryan’s does not revolve around the success or failure of CSGnet.

There is quite a bit of evidence that control systems are organized
hierarchically. But there is very little evidence that this
hierarchical organization is exactly like the 11 or so level hierarchy
that Bill described in B:CP,

No, there is no evidence, not little. There is little evidence that control systems exist as portrayed by PCT. We know that control exists, and there might be some evidence that some of this control is hierarchical but these control processes that are known are physiological in nature and not related to PCT.

with systems controlling intensity-type
perceptions at the lowest levels and system concept type perceptions at
the highest. The 11 or so…

Or so???

level hierarchy of control systems was
proposed by Bill mainly, I believe, as a hypothesis to guide future
research based on a control of input model of behavior.

Yes, that is what I thought as well, but instead has become ‘foundational’ and taken as a given. Why do you suppose this is the case?

The specific
levels – intensity, sensation, configuration, transition, sequence,
event, you know the drill

A drill? If they were an hypothesized beginning, why and how did they turn into accepted ‘fact’ and require a remembrance of? It would seem to me that if this were genuinely the case then it would make little difference what the ultimate foundation became.

But I don’t believe this for a minute and neither should you. Bill himself has said many times that what separates his ideas from others is the hierarchy, so although he threw it out as a hypothesis his whole theory is one big conjecture.

When ‘drills’ are needed to remember conjectures am afraid our toes are no longer touching the ground.

– are hypothetical – based on some
reasonable but subjective observations – and Bill has said repeatedly
that they should not be treated as fact.

Then why treat them that way?

The 11 or so level hierarchy
was developed not only to guide research but also to show how a control
of input model could, in principle, explain all behavior, from the
simple motor behavior that was the focus of the early applications of
control theory up to very complex “cognitive” behaviors like playing
chess or being a control theorist.

Ah, so here it is folks.The hierarchy was not just ‘tossed’ out on the table for folks to ponder, it is in fact the entire foundation of Bill’s claims, and my denouncing of the hierarchy effectively denounces PCT.

This is both unfortunate and regrettable. The validity of PCT should not hang and balance on the validity of the hierarchy as stated. There is just no reason for that to be the case except for the possible narcissist needs of an individual.

If this truly is the case you are in much worse shape then I thought.

To think that the hierarchy as currently configured without a strong memory component and a strong emotional component could account for cognition places PCT right up there with the Leakage theory in economics.

Rick, you put cognition in scare quotes because you truly believe it is questionable that cognition plays a part in human behavior, and they have you teaching a course in cognition?

So the 11 or so level hierarchy is not the foundation of PCT; it is a
set of guesses about how control systems might be organized to
account to all the different kind of behaviors we see.

BS, you just contradicted what you just said above. Can’t you even see your thoughts from paragraph to paragraph?

It was supposed to be the impetus for research but,

Research into what? The levels? People have tried and failed to be able to devise ways of testing this.

to some extent, it has become an impediment to research, to the extent that the > hierarchy is treated as “decided law”. It’s not decided at all.

Yes, and this
has been my only claim. It has become ‘law’ because nothing else is allowed to be discussed on CSGnet because Bill Powers will not explore or get involved in discussing any and all options, so when you restrict yourself to ‘researching’ in only one ‘approved’ and narrow manner what else do you think would happen? ‘Researching’ the levels as stated by Powers became the only ‘legitimate’ way to ‘research’ PCT and nobody has been able to pull it off, nobody.

I’ve done some little research
projects on the hierarchy; none have been published (except one in
More Mind Readings). Now that I’ll (hopefully) have more time to do
PCT research I’ll try to make studies of the hierarchy a focus of my
research efforts.

Until we learn a great deal more about the details of the hierarchy, I
suggest that it be treated as what I believe it was meant to be – a
proposal for research and a heuristic for thinking about how input
control can explain some of the very complex things we see people doing.

Gee Rick, this last paragraph seems to have come right out of my playbook. Why the sudden change of heart?

You espouse a good game but rarely come through on what you preach.

I will respond to you the same way you responded to me over these past years on this subject.

Instead of complaining about it, why haven’t you devised a test for the levels that would be publishable?

What has prevented you from doing so?

Regards,

Marc

[From Bryan Thalhammer (2005.12.08.1045 CST)]

Marc,

It would be a good idea if you just wrapped up your diatribes here and spent your time more profitable haranguing others on another forum. You prove time and again that you cannot function professionally in a forum related to science (even if sometimes there are other topics).

When you produce a proposal, it IS going to be gone over with a fine-tooth comb. That is how it works. You ARE going to get questions, objections, and perhaps even suggestions that you abandon your proposal. That is what happens. This forum is not a general one, where many other programs can co-exist. This forum is one focused on PCT, its conceptual basis, and the strategies used to understand behavior, such as the Test for the Controlled Variable, MOL, and so on. If you try to suggest other modelling or research strategies, there will needs be some negotiating with the rest of the people in the field who, given their background, and given that they have been at the heart of the theory, will give assent to their validity.

If you persist at insulting others, using perjoratives, and generally being a *bad boy*, you risk being laughed at, being ignored, or worse, being the focus of a push-back to your disturbances.

Marc, you are a very disturbing individual. You start out being nicey-picey, and then, when you don't get what you want, you start into the most obnoxious tirades I have ever witnessed in a professional forum where science is discussed. It is your own actions which bring people to ignore you, and well, perhaps even your feelings, since you have already abrogated your responsibility for caring about others. In short, you are the *boy who cried wolf* so many times, that you are going to have to endure being a wolf's lunch, since everyone else has given up on you.

(I must say, that everytime we have one of these blow-ups, it is a result of Marc insisting that he be heard, instead of listening to others. His words suggest that he refuses to be part of a group (not its conceptual leader, which he is not), his very writing appears to suggest that he somehow has more background, is better educated, and has published acceptable contributions to the research. In short, he talks down to those he should be listening to.)

So the best thing to do, Marc, is unsubscribe, go away, and bother someone else. Ok?

-B.

Marc Abrams wrote:

···

[Marc Abrams (2005.12.08.0936)]
In a message dated 12/8/2005 1:15:19 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, marken@MINDREADINGS.COM writes:

>[From Rick Marken (2005.12.07.2210)]

>> Marc Abrams (2005.12.07.1822)
     > >> So either you see no connection to what you do and how I react
    or you
     >> simply don't care. In either case I find it offensive.

>You certainly are a sensitive fellow.
         And what if I am? Is that any reason to dismiss it? You see Rick
    */_this_/* is exactly what I have been talking about with you and
    why I call you a phoney.
         You espouse the idea that you 'care' deeply about others when in
    fact you can care less about others, or so it seems.
         You discount my feelings and make believe they don't exist and are
    not worthy of your time.
         Is this your idea about tolerance or respect? Is this how you would
    expect and want others to treat you?
         Try putting yourself in my shoes and what would you think after
    getting a reply like that?
         Do you think I care about anything you said after that?
         I'm not asking you to answer any of these questions to me. But if
    you want to know why folks think you are a jerk here it is.
         BTW Bryan I know you are reading this so a note in passing to you. I
    dumped your message and did not read it. If you want to apologize to
    me I might consider talking with you again but until that time you
    cab shove it, I'm not interested nor will I read or respond to any
    of your posts. You may not like my language big boy but I am a man
    of my word.
         Now, back to Rick.
         If you think being dismissive of others is the way to their hearts
    you have some major issues, but I think you are so narcissistic that
    you really don't care and that is unfortunate for you.
          > It looks to me like you're not
     >really all that interested in having a critical discussion (unless
    what
     >you mean is that you just want to be critical of me;-))
         When you start responding to what I post and say and not to what you
    want to advocate maybe we could have an argument; if you actually
    respect my ideas we might even be able to have some dialogue, but
    until that time you will be advocating your ideas to yourself
    because I'm not interested.
          >Nevertheless,

Yes, one way to stay in control is to be dismissive of others and
    not acknowledge the ideas of others as being valid and simply moving
    on to what you want to advocate for.
         Again, a very well worn tactic of both you and Powers that have
    endeared you to many people.
         But you will be just as dismissive about everything I have said so
    far because you really believe it doesn't matter and people can't
    see through any of this. Does the emperor have any clothes?

>I'll just take this opportunity to talk a little more about the PCT
     >hierarchy, the topic that started this discussion off in the first
     >place. There was something I wanted to mention in reply to your
    comment
     >about the hierarchy being "foundational" to PCT, but I forgot. So
    here
     >it is now, for those who might be interested.
         I'm glad you feel everything is already in the bag. I don't believe
    this to be the case.

If PCT were the only way of explaining behavioral phenomenon there
    would be not questions and everyone would accept it as fact but this
    is not the case and not simply because people are not aware of it.
         Many hundreds of people have passed through this forum and have
    rejected the ideas presented here . Now whether that rejection was
    due to a lack of understanding about PCT or anything else doesn't
    really matter. People have seen deficiencies that you are unwilling
    to acknowledge throwing all responsibility onto the shoulders of
    others like you did to me in this post.
         Until you painfully start to acknowledge that you play an active
    part in this rejection, for whatever reasons you are doomed to your
    present place in the sun.
         Again, you can pooh-pooh this all you want, but you are only hurting
    yourself when you do. My life, unlike Bryan's does not revolve
    around the success or failure of CSGnet.

>There is quite a bit of evidence that control systems are organized
     >hierarchically. But there is very little evidence that this
     >hierarchical organization is exactly like the 11 or so level
    hierarchy
     >that Bill described in B:CP,
         No, there is no evidence, not little. There is little evidence that
    control systems exist as portrayed by PCT. We know that control
    exists, and there might be some evidence that some of this control
    is hierarchical but these control processes that are known are
    physiological in nature and not related to PCT.
          >with systems controlling intensity-type
     >perceptions at the lowest levels and system concept type
    perceptions at
     >the highest. The 11 or so...
         Or so???
          >level hierarchy of control systems was
     >proposed by Bill mainly, I believe, as a _hypothesis_ to guide future
     >research based on a control of input model of behavior.
         Yes, that is what I thought as well, but instead has become
    'foundational' and taken as a given. Why do you suppose this is the
    case?
          >The specific
     >levels -- intensity, sensation, configuration, transition, sequence,
     >event, you know the drill
         A drill? If they were an hypothesized beginning, why and how did
    they turn into accepted 'fact' and require a remembrance of? It
    would seem to me that if this were genuinely the case then it would
    make little difference what the ultimate foundation became.
         But I don't believe this for a minute and neither should you. Bill
    himself has said many times that what separates his ideas from
    others is the hierarchy, so although he threw it out as a hypothesis
    his whole theory is one big conjecture.
         When 'drills' are needed to remember conjectures am afraid our toes
    are no longer touching the ground.
          >-- are hypothetical -- based on some
     >reasonable but subjective observations -- and Bill has said
    repeatedly
     >that they should not be treated as fact.
         Then why treat them that way?
          >The 11 or so level hierarchy
     >was developed not only to guide research but also to show how a
    control
     >of input model could, in principle, explain _all_ behavior, from the
     >simple motor behavior that was the focus of the early applications of
     >control theory up to very complex "cognitive" behaviors like playing
     >chess or being a control theorist.
         Ah, so here it is folks.The hierarchy was not just 'tossed' out on
    the table for folks to ponder, it is in fact the entire foundation
    of Bill's claims, and my denouncing of the hierarchy effectively
    denounces PCT.

This is both unfortunate and regrettable. The validity of PCT should
    not hang and balance on the validity of the hierarchy as stated.
    There is just no reason for that to be the case except for the
    possible narcissist needs of an individual.
         If this truly is the case you are in much worse shape then I thought.
         To think that the hierarchy as currently configured without a strong
    memory component and a strong emotional component could account for
    cognition places PCT right up there with the Leakage theory in
    economics.
         Rick, you put cognition in scare quotes because you truly believe it
    is questionable that cognition plays a part in human behavior, and
    they have you teaching a course in cognition?

>So the 11 or so level hierarchy is not the foundation of PCT; it is a
     >set of guesses about how control systems _might_ be organized to
    account to all the different kind of behaviors we see.
         BS, you just contradicted what you just said above. Can't you even
    see your thoughts from paragraph to paragraph?

Research into what? The levels? People have tried and failed to be
    able to devise ways of testing this.
          >to some extent, it has become an impediment to research, to the
    extent that the > hierarchy is treated as "decided law". It's not
    decided at all.
         Yes, and */_this_/* has been my only claim. It has become 'law'
    because nothing else is allowed to be discussed on CSGnet because
    Bill Powers will not explore or get involved in discussing any and
    all options, so when you restrict yourself to 'researching' in only
    one 'approved' and narrow manner what else do you think would
    happen? 'Researching' the levels as stated by Powers became the only
    'legitimate' way to 'research' PCT and nobody has been able to pull
    it off, nobody.
          >I've done some little research
     >projects on the hierarchy; none have been published (except one in
     >_More Mind Readings_). Now that I'll (hopefully) have more time
    to do
     >PCT research I'll try to make studies of the hierarchy a focus of my
     >research efforts.

>Until we learn a great deal more about the details of the
    hierarchy, I
     >suggest that it be treated as what I believe it was meant to be -- a
     >proposal for research and a heuristic for thinking about how input
     >control can explain some of the very complex things we see people
    doing.
         Gee Rick, this last paragraph seems to have come right out of my
    playbook. Why the sudden change of heart?

You espouse a good game but rarely come through on what you preach.
         I will respond to you the same way you responded to me over these
    past years on this subject.
         Instead of complaining about it, why haven't you devised a test for
    the levels that would be publishable?

What has prevented you from doing so?
         Regards,
         Marc

From [Marc Abrams (2005.12.08.1342)]

In a message dated 12/8/2005 12:10:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bryanth@SOLTEC.NET writes:

···

[From Bryan Thalhammer (2005.12.08.1045 CST)]

Marc,

It would be a good idea if you just wrapped up your diatribes here …

I did not read anything beyond this point. Alas, I thought it was an apology, but instead it was some of the same old nonsense.

Since you seem to have a difficult time understanding English I will tell you for the very last time. I will not communicate with you unless and until you send me a dozen roses and apologize for your boorishness.

You are also an advocator, but an extremely poor one because you turn people off after the very first sentence, so who cares what you think or say? I certainly don’t.

So again, in lieu of an apology, which you can state in the subject line of the post, take a hike.

Love and Kisses,

Marc

[From Bryan Thalhammer (2005.12.08.1320 CST)]

It is clear from this response that Marc Abrams is not interested in maintaining or even seeking a professional, scientific conversation:

[Marc Abrams (2005.12.08.1342)]
[Bryan Thalhammer (2005.12.08.1045 CST)]

Marc wrote:

"you seem to have a difficult time understanding English"

"I will not communicate with you unless and until you send me a
    dozen roses and apologize for your boorishness."

"who cares what you think or say? I certainly don't."

"take a hike."

I don't think that any of this is going to get Marc Abrams credibility or any kind of in-roads to a discussion in which he cannot address serious critiques of his content and the manner in which he presents it. The remarks above, and others that he has contributed do not positively reflect a need to be part of a research group, and appear nothing more than a attempt to divert, distract, and insult.

Therefore, the best thing for Marc Abrams to do is unsubscribe and take his diatribes, disparaging remarks, and ad hominems elsewhere.

--B.