How does PCT explain where our basic characteristics come from?

There are some conversations which are irrelevant for the exploration of PCT; dogs, in my view is one of them. If you wish to carry on about dogs you can do so but I’ve said all I have to say about the critters.

Charles Tucker (an infrequent responder to CSGNET)

···

[from Tracy B. Harms (2011-12-05 16:18 Eastern)]

–Tracy

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 3:48 PM, Charles W. Tucker profcwt@earthlink.net wrote:

PCT is not about dogs but about human beings; there is a difference in control systems for these species. Recent work in epigenetics indicates that humans have less that is “hard wired” than we suspected in the past. The more we explore the more we find out about the plasticity of the brain and the more we know about changing the brain. PCT can not go beyond the research that we know about, so keep looking.

Chuck Tucker

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Dec 5, 2011 4:19 PM

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU

Subject: Re: How does PCT explain where our basic characteristics come from?

Why would PCT not be about dogs? I’m very surprised any time somebody sees PCT as peculiar to human psychology.

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.05.1430)]

AS: I would greatly appreciate any thoughts from those on the list to help understand a question about PCT I have! …I am currently stuck trying to figure out how it explains characteristics we are born with and I have tried some searches but haven’t come up with anything that helps.

Here is the example that got me thinking about it: I was watching my two dogs, great dane and vizsla, who are very different, and, as with other dog breeds, are bred to have certain characteristics, temperaments, degrees of sociability, etc. Where do these bred characteristics come from and how are they dealt with in PCT?

Would these be higher level reference points the dogs are born with through genetic coding? I am just trying to wrap my mind around this…

When you get your copy of B:CP you will see that an important assumption of the theory is that organisms are born with a set of “intrinsic references”. These references are inherited and basically unchangeable. Intrinsic references are probably mainly specifications for the states of physiological variables – glucose concentrations, core temperature, etc etc – but there may be intrinsic references for more complex perceptual variables like “love” or “society of others”.

The hierarchy of control is what we are usually are talking about on this list and it develops (in theory, anyway) as a means of keeping intrinsic variables matching their referencesl. So we develop the hierarchy of control systems that allows us to do things like eating, farming, hunting, etc – very complex control systems – in order to keep our glucose concentration (and other intrinsic variables) at it’s intrinsic reference level. That is, we develop the ability to control in order to survive; we don’t survice unless we keep those intrinsic variables under control – that their references.

I believe that PCT would interpret differences in behavioral characteristics that seem to be inherited as being a result of differences in inherited (intrinsic) references. The superficial differences in the behavior of different dog breeds is theoretically a result in slight differences across the breeds in intrinsic references. These differences in intrinsic references lead to the dogs developing control of somewhat different perceptions, and this we see as differences in “temperament”, “sociability”, “intelligence”, etc.

This is a VERY highly simplified picture of the PCT view of the role of inheritance (and, thus, evolution) in behavior. But I think it at least points you in the right direction: intrinsic references.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[from Chad Green (2011-12-05 18:00 Eastern)]

Tracy, good point. And perhaps an infinite range of infinite ranges of competing theories could be compatible with PCT. Has anyone attempted to apply PCT to the Casimir effect?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPzlv6cvs8A

Best,
Chad

Chad Green, PMP
Program Analyst
Loudoun County Public Schools
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148
Voice: 571-252-1486
Fax: 571-252-1633

Tracy Harms <kaleidic@GMAIL.COM> 12/5/2011 1:09 PM >>>

[from Tracy B. Harms (2011-12-05 13:06 Eastern)]

Hi, Andrew.

Basic PCT does not explain the origin of control structures, except insofar
as it explains things that originate as the result of control. Such things
may themselves be controlled variables, or may be emergent properties of
the results of successful control.

Some people, such as Gary Cziko and myself, rely on evolutionary theory as
an additional theory that complements PCT. It is not, however, tied in any
formal way, much as we may appreciate what we see as their compatability.
An infinite range of competing theories of origin could be equally
compatable with PCT.

--Tracy

···

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM, andrew speaker <andrew@lionsforchange.com>wrote:

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts from those on the list to help
understand a question about PCT I have! As I read more I do have a much
better idea of the framework of PCT and how the mind works and how we
learn. I am currently stuck trying to figure out how it explains
characteristics we are born with and I have tried some searches but haven't
come up with anything that helps.

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.05.1630)

Tracy B. Harms (2011-12-05 13:06 Eastern)]

Hi, Andrew.

Basic PCT does not explain the origin of control structures, except insofar as it explains things that originate as the result of control.

Isn’t the “E. coli” reorganization algorithm a proposed explanation of the origin of control structures? Or do you mean “origin” in a more cosmic, “origin of life” sense? If so, then I’ll go with evolution too.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.05.1730)]

CT: There are some conversations which are irrelevant for the exploration of PCT; dogs, in my view is one of them. If you wish to carry on about dogs you can do so but I’ve said all I have to say about the critters.

I actually know of one piece of research in which dogs are very relevant to the exploration of PCT. This was a study of the perceptions controlled by dogs when they catch Frisbees. Using Frisbees, which have a rather unpredictable trajectory, was a great way to introduce disturbances that made it possible to test to see optical variables the dog was controlling. The Frisbee research was done by Dennis Shaffer at Ohio State with who I am currently collaborating on some other “object interception” research, which is being done with the humans. I refer to the Frisbee catching research in my paper on how to test to determine the optical variables controlled variables:

Marken, R. S.

(2005) Optical Trajectories and the Informational Basis of Fly Ball Catching, Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human
Perception & Performance,
31 (3), 630 – 634

One of the interesting things about the research with dogs is that they seem to control the same optical variables as humans do when moving to intercept moving objects (like Frisbees). So at the lower levels of control – where the controlled variables are down at the transition, configuration level – both kinds of mammals (dogs, people) – control the same perceptions. The differences are obviously at the higher levels – programs, principles and system concepts – the latter two probably being unique to hominid primates.

Best

Rick the Hominid

···

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Charles W. Tucker profcwt@earthlink.net wrote:

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Hi Richard,

interesting explanation you offered…

Richard :

The hierarchy of control is what we are usually are talking about on this list and it develops (in theory, anyway) as a means of keeping intrinsic variables matching their referencesl. So we develop the hierarchy of control systems that allows us to do things like eating, farming, hunting, etc – very complex control systems – in order to keep our glucose concentration (and other intrinsic variables) at it’s intrinsic reference level. That is, we develop the ability to control in order to survive; we don’t survice unless we keep those intrinsic variables under control – that their references.

Boris:

Does this mean “bottom-up” hierarchy ?

Best,

Boris

···

----- Original Message -----

Richard Marken

Sent: Monday, December 05, 2011 11:33 PM

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.05.1430)]

AS: I would greatly appreciate any thoughts from those on the list to help understand a question about PCT I have! ...I am currently stuck trying to figure out how it explains characteristics we are born with and I have tried some searches but haven't come up with anything that helps.
Here is the example that got me thinking about it: I was watching my two dogs, great dane and vizsla, who are very different, and, as with other dog breeds, are bred to have certain characteristics, temperaments, degrees of sociability, etc. Where do these bred characteristics come from and how are they dealt with in PCT?
Would these be higher level reference points the dogs are born with through genetic coding? I am just trying to wrap my mind around this...

When you get your copy of B:CP you will see that an important assumption of the theory is that organisms are born with a set of “intrinsic references”. These references are inherited and basically unchangeable. Intrinsic references are probably mainly specifications for the states of physiological variables – glucose concentrations, core temperature, etc etc – but there may be intrinsic references for more complex perceptual variables like “love” or “society of others”.

I believe that PCT would interpret differences in behavioral characteristics that seem to be inherited as being a result of differences in inherited (intrinsic) references. The superficial differences in the behavior of different dog breeds is theoretically a result in slight differences across the breeds in intrinsic references. These differences in intrinsic references lead to the dogs developing control of somewhat different perceptions, and this we see as differences in “temperament”, “sociability”, “intelligence”, etc.

This is a VERY highly simplified picture of the PCT view of the role of inheritance (and, thus, evolution) in behavior. But I think it at least points you in the right direction: intrinsic references.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.06.0810)]

···

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM, boris_upc boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

BH: interesting explanation you offered…

RM: The hierarchy of control is what we are usually are talking about on this list and it develops (in theory, anyway) as a means of keeping intrinsic variables matching their referencesl. …

BH: Does this mean “bottom-up” hierarchy ?

I’m referring to the hierarchical model of perceptual control described in B:CP and partially modeled as a dynamic spreadsheet at http://www.mindreadings.com/demos.htm as the “Spreadsheet Hierarchy Demo”. I think it’s both a “bottom up” and “top down” hierarchy at the same time. But whatever you call it, it’s the hierarchical model of perceptual control.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Hi Rick,

Richard :

I’m referring to the hierarchical model of perceptual control described in B:CP and partially modeled as a dynamic spreadsheet at http://www.mindreadings.com/demos.htm
as the “Spreadsheet Hierarchy Demo”. I think it’s both a “bottom up” and “top down” hierarchy at the same time. But whatever you call it, it’s the hierarchical model of perceptual control.

Boris :

I’m a little confused. Maybe I didn’t understand right B:CP or Bill’s statement

Bill P :

The circuitry is built mostly during the lifetime of the organism,
and the building is guided from the top down, not the bottom up. Don
Campbell called this “top-down determinism.” Which brings me to Jill
Taylor and her TED talk.

Boris :

Is there something that I’m missing ?

Best,

Boris

···

Richard Marken

Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 5:11 PM

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.06.0810)]

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM, boris_upc boris.hartman@masicom.net > wrote:

BH: interesting explanation you offered…

RM: The hierarchy of control is what we are usually are talking about  on this list and it develops (in theory, anyway) as a means of keeping intrinsic variables matching their referencesl. ...
BH: Does this mean "bottom-up" hierarchy ?

I’m referring to the hierarchical model of perceptual control described in B:CP and partially modeled as a dynamic spreadsheet at http://www.mindreadings.com/demos.htm
as the “Spreadsheet Hierarchy Demo”. I think it’s both a “bottom up” and “top down” hierarchy at the same time. But whatever you call it, it’s the hierarchical model of perceptual control.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.06.1650)]

RM: I'm referring to the hierarchical model of perceptual control described in
B:CP and partially modeled as a dynamic spreadsheet at
http://www.mindreadings.com/demos.htm as the "Spreadsheet Hierarchy Demo". I
think it's both a "bottom up" and "top down" hierarchy at the same time. But
whatever you call it, it's the hierarchical model of perceptual control.

BH: I'm a little confused. Maybe I didn't understand right B:CP or Bill's
statement

Bill P :
Campbell called this "top-down determinism." Which brings me to Jill
Taylor and her TED talk.

Boris :
Is there something that I'm missing ?

Well, Bill is talking about _building_ the hierarchy and he calls the
building process (which I think is reorganization) "top-down". I
actually don't know what he means by that. I was talking not about how
the hierarchy is built but how it works and it seems to have a top
down component (references from the top specifying the perceptions
that should come from the bottom) and a bottom up component
(perceptions of greater complexity are computed as you go up the
hierarchy).

Best

Rick

···

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM, boris_upc <boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Hi Rick,

again very interesting.

Rick :

building process (which I think is reorganization) "top-down".
hierarchy).

Boris
Well I think whether we have in mind "top-down" hierarchy or "bottom-up" hierarchy
being "built" or being in "work", is the same when the reference signal is in question.
I even think that it doesn't matter whether we think of "buliding" or "working" hierarchy
in "phylogenetic" (evolutionary) or "ontogenetic" sense as Maturana pointed out.

The problem I see is that you started with "esential" or "intrinsic" references (whatever) as the starting point and you say that is written in B:CP. I have troubles with your language, but I don't beleive that troubles could be to such an extent. But maybe I'm wrong.

Rick earlier :
When you get your copy of B:CP you will see that an important assumption of the theory is that organisms are born with a set of "intrinsic references". These references are inherited and basically unchangeable. Intrinsic references are probably mainly specifications for the states of physiological variables -- glucose concentrations, core temperature, etc etc -- but there may be intrinsic references for more complex perceptual variables like "love" or "society of others".

Boris :
What confused me, was that you wrote "intrinsic references" (Bill used as far as I know term "intrinsic variables") what by my oppinion (and Bill's) have the same meaning as Ashby's "essential variables".

But by your new interpretation, as I see it, is that the meaning of "builiding", "developing" or "working" control hierarchy is drastically changed. So if I try to follow references from the initial point ("intrinsic references") through the hierarchy down-up, what means coming from "intrinsic references" up-ward, then we get the "bottom-up" hierarchy what means that references from lower level component of hierarchy are sent to higher level component of hierarchy.

from the view point you started I see it as a logical assumption . But I think that is not what is described in B:CP. For me it looks like a new version of PCT. It's true that everything is perception, but on the whole what you wrote, I don't see it as "exact" hierachical model of PCT. Something doesn't fit. The question is what ? Maybe the main question is, what are "intrinsic references" ?

Best,

Boris

···

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Marken" <rsmarken@GMAIL.COM>
To: <CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 1:46 AM

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM, boris_upc <boris.hartman@masicom.net> > wrote:

RM: I'm referring to the hierarchical model of perceptual control described in
http://www.mindreadings.com/demos.htm as the "Spreadsheet Hierarchy Demo". I
think it's both a "bottom up" and "top down" hierarchy at the same time. But

statement

Bill P :
Taylor and her TED talk.

Boris :

hierarchy).

Best

Rick

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Chad Green (2011.12.07.12:36 EST)]

Boris, who said that we needed to operate within a top-down, bottom-up paradigm to begin with?

If you want to understand how a neuron "thinks," why not try a first-person approach to the problem? Isn't that how a good detective operates?

Try to put yourself in its position. For example, would a neuron naturally orient itself from a top-down or bottom-up perspective like we humans typically do to make sense of our external environment? Of course not. If I were in a neuron's shoes, if you will, I would orient myself radially in the form a radial (and/or spherical) function: Radial function - Wikipedia.

To imagine this perspective, try to think only in terms of a top-up and bottom-down perspective. For example, if you apply this perspective in the context of HPCT, as I have, you will naturally want to extend the levels above 11 and below 1 at the same time.

But perhaps a more important question is this, what is the potential gap that a neuron would want to close from this perspective? What about the gaps beyond the neuronal cell structure (neuroglia)? Which gaps are more important?

These are questions of limited utility, admittedly. What interests me most at this point in time is the following:

Does PCT help to explain the 3-step process for creativity as described below by psychologist Daniel Goleman (Emotional Intelligence, 1995):

Daniel Goleman on the "AHA Moment"

Cheers,
Chad

PS What happened to the use of time signatures on this list?!

Chad Green, PMP
Program Analyst
Loudoun County Public Schools
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148
Voice: 571-252-1486
Fax: 571-252-1633

boris_upc <boris.hartman@MASICOM.NET> 12/7/2011 10:34 AM >>>

Hi Rick,

again very interesting.

Rick :

building process (which I think is reorganization) "top-down".
hierarchy).

Boris
Well I think whether we have in mind "top-down" hierarchy or "bottom-up"
hierarchy
being "built" or being in "work", is the same when the reference signal is
in question.
I even think that it doesn't matter whether we think of "buliding" or
"working" hierarchy
in "phylogenetic" (evolutionary) or "ontogenetic" sense as Maturana pointed
out.

The problem I see is that you started with "esential" or "intrinsic"
references (whatever) as the starting point and you say that is written in
B:CP. I have troubles with your language, but I don't beleive that troubles
could be to such an extent. But maybe I'm wrong.

Rick earlier :
When you get your copy of B:CP you will see that an important assumption of
the theory is that organisms are born with a set of "intrinsic references".
These references are inherited and basically unchangeable. Intrinsic
references are probably mainly specifications for the states of
physiological variables -- glucose concentrations, core temperature, etc
etc -- but there may be intrinsic references for more complex perceptual
variables like "love" or "society of others".

Boris :
What confused me, was that you wrote "intrinsic references" (Bill used as
far as I know term "intrinsic variables") what by my oppinion (and Bill's)
have the same meaning as Ashby's "essential variables".

But by your new interpretation, as I see it, is that the meaning of
"builiding", "developing" or "working" control hierarchy is drastically
changed. So if I try to follow references from the initial point ("intrinsic
references") through the hierarchy down-up, what means coming from
"intrinsic references" up-ward, then we get the "bottom-up" hierarchy what
means that references from lower level component of hierarchy are sent to
higher level component of hierarchy.

from the view point you started I see it as a logical assumption . But I
think that is not what is described in B:CP. For me it looks like a new
version of PCT. It's true that everything is perception, but on the whole
what you wrote, I don't see it as "exact" hierachical model of PCT.
Something doesn't fit. The question is what ? Maybe the main question is,
what are "intrinsic references" ?

Best,

Boris

···

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 1:46 AM

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 10:17 AM, boris_upc <boris.hartman@masicom.net> > wrote:

RM: I'm referring to the hierarchical model of perceptual control
described in
http://www.mindreadings.com/demos.htm as the "Spreadsheet Hierarchy
Demo". I
think it's both a "bottom up" and "top down" hierarchy at the same time.
But

statement

Bill P :
Taylor and her TED talk.

Boris :

hierarchy).

Best

Rick

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.07.1015)]

BH: What confused me, was that you wrote "intrinsic references" (Bill used as

Intrinsic reference are reference specifications for the values of
intrinsic variables.

See Figure 14.1 p. 191 in B:CP second edition to see what I'm talking
about. Notice that the intrinsic references (which are called
reference signals in the figure) are part of the reorganizing system
which acts on the learned control hierarchy to affect the state of
intrinsic variables (called intrinsic quantities in the Figure) and
bring them to the reference states specified by the genetically given
reference signals.

BH: Maybe the main question is, what are "intrinsic references" ?

I hope that's been answered for you now.

Regards

Rick

···

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM, boris_upc <boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Tracy B. Harms (2011-12-05 13:06 Eastern)]

Basic PCT does not explain the origin of control structures, except insofar as it explains things that originate as the result of control. Such things may themselves be controlled variables, or may be emergent properties of the results of successful control.

Some people, such as Gary Cziko and myself, rely on evolutionary theory as an additional theory that complements PCT.

Thank you for that clarification. As Richard was also kind enough to explain, while I understood ‘intrinsic references’ in relation to chemical processes of the body, such as blood sugar levels, etc, I didn’t realize that it could also relate to the way we think about things in higher reference points, that was a helpful expansion of my thinking. When I went to one of BP’s links in another topic to a TED talk, I happened to find a link to the findings from a study of children in Holland who were in the womb during the period of starvation at the end of WWII. It helped me better understand this idea of ‘intrinsic references’ we can inherit. In the study they found that children in the womb during a period of scarcity, stress and starvation, as opposed to those children born directly before or after that time, are highly more likely to suffer from obesity, heart disease, diabetes and stress. The idea is that their ‘reference’ points were set in a period of scarcity, but they were born into and lived in a time of plenty, and so while their bodies may be telling them to eat whenever they could or as much as possible, in order to adapt to a limited supply, this internal ‘reference’ was not suited to their environment. I just thought some of you might find it interesting and hoping to contribute back to the group as you are all doing for me.

http://www.ted.com/talks/annie_murphy_paul_what_we_learn_before_we_re_born.html

CT: There are some conversations which are irrelevant for the exploration of PCT; dogs, in my view is one of them. If you wish to carry on about dogs you can do so but I’ve said all I have to say about the critters.

My understanding is that PCT explains the behavior of living organisms and I thought it was clear that I was trying to understand how we as people work, with dogs as a simple example. If it can explain E. Coli, and rats pulling levers for food, don’t know why dog behavior would be different… Though I do realize that we have higher levels of perception.

In fact, I believe the wikipedia definition is that PCT is a model of the psychological and behavioral processes occurring within living beings, including humans ( and by extension…dogs).

Thank you for all the helpful comments people have given.

Andrew Speaker

Lions For Change

3040 Peachtree Rd, Suite 312

Atlanta, Ga. 30305

404-913-3193

www.LionsForChange.com

“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau

···

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 1:28 PM, Charles W. Tucker profcwt@earthlink.net wrote:

On Dec 5, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Tracy Harms wrote:

Hi Rick,

well, well what we have here. It's becoming more and more interesting.

RM :Intrinsic reference are reference specifications for the values of
intrinsic variables.

BH : And how is this realized ? I mean how values of intrinsic variables are

specified by intrinsic reference according to "Figure 14.1 p. 191 in B:CP second edition" ? Where do you see that specification ? How it works ? Did I missed something when reading B:CP ?

As I see it in Figure, there is only an INTRINSIC REFERENCE SIGNAL, NOT INTRINSIC REFERENCE. Maybe you ment "Intrinsic reference state" by term "intrinsic reference".

In B:CP there are ony two definitions (maybe I missed something) :

1.. Intrinsic reference level
  2.. Intrinsic reference signal
I couldn't find "intrinsic references". So where did you see this term ?

As I see it from the Figure 14.1 on p. 191 there is no way that we could determine how "intrinsic reference signal" or "intrinsic reference level" or "intrinsic reference" could specifiy values of "intrinsic variables". Do you see it ? Please show me.

RM : See Figure 14.1 p. 191 in B:CP second edition to see what I'm talking
reference signals.

BH : If I understand right you are equating --> intrinsic reference = reference signal ?

So what is then "reference signal " in behavioral heirarchy or you called it "learned control hierarhcy" ? Where this reference signal is coming from ? As I see it from figure 14.1. on p. 191 it's coming from nowhere on 11.level.

So if I understand right what you are saying, is that reorganizing system acts on "learned control hierarchy" which can be called "behavioral", and affect the state of intrinsic variables (called intrinsic quantities) through the external enviroment via behavior and bring them to the reference states specified by the genetically given reference signal (called "intrinsic reference signal") what we can imagine as we want, as it isn't specified directly in Figure 14.1. on p. 191. Is this right ?

BH earlier: Maybe the main question is, what are "intrinsic references" ?

RM earlier : I hope that's been answered for you now.

BH : I'm sorry to say Rick, but I don't see PCT answer to my question. Maybe it's just my impression. As I see it, the main problem stays. Maybe you were right when you wrote :

RM earlier :

actually don't know what he means by that.

BH : Maybe we all don't know exactly what we meant by what.

organisms might work more compatible. Maybe we should change a little the Figure 14.1. on p. 191 and make it closer to what you were saying. Maybe we are coming again to the "boiling point" where I and Bill "disagree" about proposal of "arrows". We can't know it for sure what's really right. Nobody knows for sure. All are just subjective interpretations (own world of limited perceptions) of us people who are forming or constructing our reality from "machine" as Ashby would say.

But so did Gavin. He formed his own picture about PCT as there are holes in Bill's theory and he couldn't find answers to his problems of understanding PCT. If I recall it right, he asked a simple question : what are we controlling when we are observing the sun-set ? Can we answer it now ? There was no need to be so rude to him as we see nothing is absolute. Even PCT not.

Regards

Rick

Best,

Boris

···

from my point of view, you and me make our standing-points about how

Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:16 PM

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM, boris_upc <boris.hartman@masicom.net> > wrote:

intrinsic variables.

reference signals.

BH: Maybe the main question is, what are "intrinsic references" ?

Regards

Rick

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bill Powers (2011.12.08.1035 MST)]

Hi Rick,

well, well what we have here. It’s becoming more and more
interesting.

RM :Intrinsic reference are
reference specifications for the values of

intrinsic variables.

BH : And how is this realized ? I mean how values of intrinsic variables
are

specified by intrinsic reference according to “Figure 14.1 p. 191 in
B:CP second edition” ? Where do you see that specification ? How it
works ? Did I missed something when reading B:CP ?

BP: Think of the whole control loop. The state of the controlled variable
that an external observer can see is represented by a perceptual signal
inside the control system. That perceptual signal is compared with a
reference signal (by subtraction) and the difference is amplified to
drive an output that uses muscles. The output affects the state of the
controlled variable. The whole loop is organized so the feedback effect
of the output on the input changes the controlled variable and the
perceptual signal representing it toward a match with the reference
signal inside the control system. If it’s not organized that way, it’s
not a control system.
In a fraction of a second (for the simpler control systems), the loop
comes to an equilibrium in which the magnitude of the perceptual
signal very nearly matches the magnitude of the reference signal. The
small difference that remains is exactly enough to maintain the
controlled variable in a state so the perceptual signal stays close to
the reference signal in magnitude.
Now the system will automatically resist disturbances of the controlled
variable by altering its output action, and it will maintain its own
perception nearly constant, matching the reference signal. The
disturbances do have small effects on the perceptual signal, but the
error signal is amplified so much that only small effects are needed to
produce outputs that essentially cancel the effects of the
disturbances.
Now look at a system that will use this control system to control some
other variable, a higher-level perception to which this lower control
systems contributes one input among many others. Say the lower reference
signal is set to 10 units of magnitude, and the perceptual signal is
equal to 9.99 units. The 0.01 unit of error is amplified enough to keep
the perception at a value of 9.99. The perception is different from the
reference by only 0.1%, so we can call that a match.
Suppose now the higher system needs to increase the magnitude of the copy
of the perceptual signal it is getting from the lower system, raising
that lower perceptual signal to about 12 units. It does this by
specifying that the perception is to be 12 units in magnitude, and it
does this “specifying” simply by raising the reference signal’s
magnitude to 12 units from the former 10 units. If it does that suddenly,
the error will suddenly increase from 0.01 units to 2.01 units, and
that will be amplified to cause a very strong effect of the output
on the controlled variable. The controlled variable will begin to
increase as if toward some final value of 2000 units or so, but of course
as it starts to increase the error signal will very rapidly decrease. If
the control system is properly designed, by the time the perceptual
signal is within 0.012 units or so of the reference signal, the output
will have decreased to just the amount needed to maintain the new value
of the controlled variable and the perceptual signal representing
it.
More likely, the higher system will increase the reference signal it is
sending to the lower system more slowly, and the lower-level perceptual
signal will simply follow it, never allowing the error to get very large.
As the higher system varies the specification for the perceptual signal’s
magnitude, the perceptual signal tracks the specification, the reference
signal, and by the time the reference signal has slowed down and stopped
changing, the perceptual signal is already at the right magnitude. The
higher system simply increases the reference signal it is outputing to
the lower system until the higher system’s perception matches the higher
reference signal being received from still further up.
All the above pertains to any general perceptual-motor control system.
But the same arrangement exists for the reorganizing system and the
intrinsic variables it controls. However, the time scale is much slower
and the means of producing output effects on the controlled intrinsic
variable is very different. Also, the reference signal may not be
variable, though for most homeostatic systems it is known to vary. A
reference signal may not actually exist as a neural or chemical signal,
but the same effect can be achieved if there is a bias built into the
sensing part of the circuit – an input threshold, for example, below
which the perceptual signal will always be zero. A control system of that
kind will bring the controlled variable up to that threshold value and
keep it there against disturbances, just as if the perceptual signal were
being matched to an actual reference signal.
The reorganization process, as I imagine it and as my models demonstrate,
involves the “E. coli” principle in which one more more
parameters of control, like output gain or input sensitivity or synaptic
strength, are slowly varied at different speeds. If that reduces the
error, the changes simply continue. At some point, normally, there will
be a closest approach to the optimum settings of the parameter, and then
the error will start to increase.
When the error starts to increase, a “tumble” occurs: the rates
of change of all the parameters are randomly shuffled, so now the changes
are going in a different direction in parameter space. If the error is
still increasing, another tumble occurs right away, and tumbles continue
to occur until the error is decreasing again. The changes keep on going
in that final direction, slowing down as the amount of intrinsic error
gets smaller. Eventually the error will get small enough to let the
changes stop. Then the system goes on operating with constant parameters,
with a new organization being visible. The intrinsic controlled variable
will remain close in value to the intrinsic reference signal, whether
that signal is a real signal or just some built-in bias.
Finally, I have tried to be consistent in distinguishing between a
reference signal and a reference level. A reference signal
is part of a proposed model of a control system; a reference level is an
externally observable consequence of the setting of the hypothetical
reference signal. At least for the present, most reference signals remain
hypothetical. But the Test for the Controlled Variable allows us to
observe and measure the reference level toward which the behavior of a
control system always urges the controlled variable, the variable we
observe to be protected against disturbances by observable changes in the
action of the system.

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 06:38 AM 12/8/2011 +0100, Boris Hartmann wrote:

At 08:53 AM 12/8/2011 +1100, > Avery Andrews wrote:

[Avery Andrews Dec 8
2011, 8:53 AM Eastern Oz DST]

Interesting link about a possible collection of control systems (and why
many forms of alternative medicine that ‘shouldn’t work’ actually do
work):

http://edge.org/conversation/the-evolved-self-management-system

As I see it in Figure, there is
only an INTRINSIC REFERENCE SIGNAL, NOT INTRINSIC REFERENCE. Maybe you
ment “Intrinsic reference state” by term “intrinsic
reference”.

In B:CP there are ony two definitions (maybe I missed something)
:

1… Intrinsic reference level

2… Intrinsic reference signal

I couldn’t find “intrinsic references”. So where did you see
this term ?

As I see it from the Figure 14.1 on p. 191 there is no way that we could
determine how “intrinsic reference signal” or “intrinsic
reference level” or “intrinsic reference” could specifiy
values of “intrinsic variables”. Do you see it ? Please show
me.

RM : See Figure 14.1 p. 191 in
B:CP second edition to see what I’m talking

which acts on the learned control hierarchy to affect the state
of

bring them to the reference states specified by the genetically
given

reference signals.

BH : If I understand right you are equating → intrinsic reference =
reference signal ?

So what is then "reference signal " in behavioral heirarchy or
you called it “learned control hierarhcy” ? Where this
reference signal is coming from ? As I see it from figure 14.1. on p. 191
it’s coming from nowhere on 11.level.

So if I understand right what you are saying, is that reorganizing system
acts on “learned control hierarchy” which can be called
“behavioral”, and affect the state of intrinsic variables
(called intrinsic quantities) through the external enviroment via
behavior and bring them to the reference states specified by the
genetically given reference signal (called “intrinsic reference
signal”) what we can imagine as we want, as it isn’t specified
directly in Figure 14.1. on p. 191. Is this right ?

BH earlier: Maybe the main
question is, what are “intrinsic references”
?

RM earlier : I hope that’s been answered for you now.

BH : I’m sorry to say Rick, but I don’t see PCT answer to my
question. Maybe it’s just my impression. As I see it, the main problem
stays. Maybe you were right when you wrote :

RM earlier :

Well, Bill is talking about building the hierarchy and he calls
the

building process (which I think is reorganization) “top-down”.
I

actually don’t know what he means by that.

BH : Maybe we all don’t know exactly what we meant by what.

From my point of view, you and me make our standing-points about how
organisms might work more compatible. Maybe we should change a little the
Figure 14.1. on p. 191 and make it closer to what you were saying. Maybe
we are coming again to the “boiling point” where I and Bill
“disagree” about proposal of “arrows”. We can’t know
it for sure what’s really right. Nobody knows for sure. All are just
subjective interpretations (own world of limited perceptions) of us
people who are forming or constructing our reality from
“machine” as Ashby would say.

But so did Gavin. He formed his own picture about PCT as there are holes
in Bill’s theory and he couldn’t find answers to his problems of
understanding PCT. If I recall it right, he asked a simple question :
what are we controlling when we are observing the sun-set ? Can we answer
it now ? There was no need to be so rude to him as we see nothing is
absolute. Even PCT not.

Regards

Rick

Best,

Boris

----- Original Message ----- From: “Richard Marken”
rsmarken@GMAIL.COM

Subject: Re: How does PCT explain where our basic characteristics come
from?

[From Rick Marken
(2011.12.07.1015)]

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM, boris_upc > > boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

BH: What confused me, was that
you wrote “intrinsic references” (Bill used as

far as I know term “intrinsic variables”) what by my oppinion
(and Bill’s)

have the same meaning as Ashby’s “essential
variables”.

intrinsic variables.

But by your new interpretation,
as I see it, is that the meaning of

“builiding”, “developing” or “working”
control hierarchy is drastically

changed. So if I try to follow references from the initial point
("intrinsic

references") through the hierarchy down-up, what means coming
from

“intrinsic references” up-ward, then we get the
“bottom-up” hierarchy what

means that references from lower level component of hierarchy are sent
to

See Figure 14.1 p. 191 in B:CP second edition to see what I’m
talking

which acts on the learned control hierarchy to affect the state
of

bring them to the reference states specified by the genetically
given

reference signals.

BH: Maybe the main
question is, what are “intrinsic references”
?

I hope that’s been answered for you now.

Regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD

rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

Hi Bill,

BP: Think of the whole control loop. The state of the controlled variable that an external observer can see is represented by a perceptual signal inside the control system. That perceptual signal is compared with a reference signal (by subtraction) and the difference is amplified to drive an output that uses muscles. The output affects the state of the controlled variable. The whole loop is organized so the feedback effect of the output on the input changes the controlled variable and the perceptual signal representing it toward a match with the reference signal inside the control system. If it’s not organized that way, it’s not a control system…

… All the above pertains to any general perceptual-motor control system…

HB : I won’t go in details of control unit as I beleive your are one of the rare person on the Earth that understand it perfectly. Beside that I have no doubt that you “invented” perceptual control and marvellous 11 level perceptual-motor control hierarchy. So here you have with no doubt my highest respect.

BP : But the same arrangement exists for the reorganizing system and the intrinsic variables it controls…

HB : Well here could be some problems. So I’ll pay attention to the concrete problems Rick opened. I’d like to see how these theoretical thesis of yours, work in concrete living control systems.

I’ll stay at the Figure 14.1. on p. 191 (B:CP), as I think it’s a good abstraction of how live control systems that are genetic driven and possessis “essential” or “intrinsic” variables, are functioning with double feed-back (as Ashby already noted and is obvious very similar to the Figure 14.1.). So it doesn’t matter to me whether we are observing “E-colli” or any other single cell organism or an organism with billions of cells as I think the model should “cover” all living beings.

So your “BIG CONTROL SYSTEM” seen as a “whole” in the organisms, which you described above, I’ll try to compare with Ashby’s model of “double feed-back”.

ASHBY’S (1960) “DIAGRAM OF IMMEDIATE EFFECTS” INCLUDES AS I UNDERSTAND:

1. Gene-pattern as species characteristic which act as an “input” in determining essential variables in physiological limits
  2. Essential variables (temperature, glucose concentration, carbon dioxide concentration, other bio-chemical concetrations…)
  3. Step-mechanisms (what is by my oppinion general version of adaptable mechanism which as type includes also nervous system)
  4. Reacting part (what we can call behavioral feed-back)
  5. Environment
    By Ashby the organism that can adapt has genetic source which is input to essential variables, and has two feed-backs which act through a motor output to the environment. Two feed-backs contain a “channel” from environment to essential variables, a “channel” from essential variables to step-mechanism and through “channnel” further to reacting part and to environmet, and again to essential variables. We can say that environmental variables has some effect on essential variables, which affects step mechanisms, and these has some effect on reacting part, and motor part as behavior affects environment…etc.

The 1. feed-back loop consists of the ordinary sensory input from eyes, ears, joints, etc. and works directly through motor output.

The 2.feed-back loop goes through essential variables (including disturbances to pain receptors) to step-mechnisms and through reacting part to environment.

So Ashby’s live system contains “essential variables”, which affects step-mechanisms, which is changing or not :

1. when essential variables are outside physiological limits
  2. when essential variables are inside physiological limits.
    In first case chains of step-mechanisms change in the second case they don’t.

Gene-pattern determines essential variables and their limits as these are species characteristic. The influence of gene-pattern can be thus traced in reacting part (behavioral feed-back) organisms structure (anatomical, histological structures, biochemical processes…). The nature of parameters in step-function (nervous system) are “wholly under genetic control, for their physical embodiment has probably been slected for situability by natural selection”. Ashby emphasized here that the nature of parameters – whether they are reverberating circuits or molecular configurations – must be clearly distinguished from the values that any of parameter can take.

Finaly Ashby proposed genetically detremined relation from essential variables to step mechanisms (nervous system) so they would change when essential variables are outside their physiological limits.

BILL’S “ORGANISM” (p. 191) CONSISTS OF AS I UNDERSTAND :

1. Genetic source as input to control unit with no direct effect on “intrinisic quantities”, so I don’t understand how gene-pattern affect “intrinisic variables”.

2. Reorganization as the output of genetic source (initrinsic reference signal) which I don’t quite understand. Maybe it could mean that it forms the organisms structure and affect it’s organization. But I can’t see what immediate effects it can have on behavioral hierarchical feed-back loops.

3. Behavioral control hierarchy with reference signal on 11. level coming from nowhere

4. Behavior as motor output to environment

5. Efect of environment on extero-sensors and hierarchy of control units

6. Efect of environment on “intrinsic quantites”

7. Input from “intrinsic quantites” to genetic source, etc…
    “Organism” has two feed-backs as Ashby’s :

8. one directly through behavioral control hierarchy, which is presumably affected also through second feed-back by reorganization as output from genetic source.

9. second from environment through “intrinsic quantities” to input of genetic…
    I would hardly judge how this “organism” works. I admitt that I don’t understand what is meant by comparator with input from genetic source. What exactly this comparator is “doing” ? What is the content of intrinsic reference signal ? What is reorganization ? How the reference level for “intrinsic quantites” (physiological limits) are set ? What exactly reorganization is “doing” in behavioral control hierarchy or simply what are organization altering effects ?

Maybe I wasn’t accurate at some terms, so I hope you’ll understand what I wanted to say. I tried to be as clear as possible with both models, so that common points and differences can be seen. I hope you will clarify all the terms you used, so that they can be put clearly in the Figure 14.1. p. 191.

Best,

Boris

···

Bill Powers

Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 7:29 PM

[From Bill Powers (2011.12.08.1035 MST)]

At 06:38 AM 12/8/2011 +0100, Boris Hartmann wrote:

Hi Rick,

well, well what we have here. It's becoming more and more interesting.
  RM :Intrinsic reference are reference specifications for the values of
intrinsic variables.
BH : And how is this realized ? I mean how values of intrinsic variables are
specified by intrinsic reference according to "Figure 14.1 p. 191 in B:CP second edition" ? Where do you see that specification ? How it works ? Did I missed something when reading B:CP ?

BP: Think of the whole control loop. The state of the controlled variable that an external observer can see is represented by a perceptual signal inside the control system. That perceptual signal is compared with a reference signal (by subtraction) and the difference is amplified to drive an output that uses muscles. The output affects the state of the controlled variable. The whole loop is organized so the feedback effect of the output on the input changes the controlled variable and the perceptual signal representing it toward a match with the reference signal inside the control system. If it’s not organized that way, it’s not a control system.
In a fraction of a second (for the simpler control systems), the loop comes to an equilibrium in which the magnitude of the perceptual signal very nearly matches the magnitude of the reference signal. The small difference that remains is exactly enough to maintain the controlled variable in a state so the perceptual signal stays close to the reference signal in magnitude.
Now the system will automatically resist disturbances of the controlled variable by altering its output action, and it will maintain its own perception nearly constant, matching the reference signal. The disturbances do have small effects on the perceptual signal, but the error signal is amplified so much that only small effects are needed to produce outputs that essentially cancel the effects of the disturbances.
Now look at a system that will use this control system to control some other variable, a higher-level perception to which this lower control systems contributes one input among many others. Say the lower reference signal is set to 10 units of magnitude, and the perceptual signal is equal to 9.99 units. The 0.01 unit of error is amplified enough to keep the perception at a value of 9.99. The perception is different from the reference by only 0.1%, so we can call that a match.
Suppose now the higher system needs to increase the magnitude of the copy of the perceptual signal it is getting from the lower system, raising that lower perceptual signal to about 12 units. It does this by specifying that the perception is to be 12 units in magnitude, and it does this “specifying” simply by raising the reference signal’s magnitude to 12 units from the former 10 units. If it does that suddenly, the error will suddenly increase from 0.01 units to 2.01 units, and that will be amplified to cause a very strong effect of the output on the controlled variable. The controlled variable will begin to increase as if toward some final value of 2000 units or so, but of course as it starts to increase the error signal will very rapidly decrease. If the control system is properly designed, by the time the perceptual signal is within 0.012 units or so of the reference signal, the output will have decreased to just the amount needed to maintain the new value of the controlled variable and the perceptual signal representing it.
More likely, the higher system will increase the reference signal it is sending to the lower system more slowly, and the lower-level perceptual signal will simply follow it, never allowing the error to get very large. As the higher system varies the specification for the perceptual signal’s magnitude, the perceptual signal tracks the specification, the reference signal, and by the time the reference signal has slowed down and stopped changing, the perceptual signal is already at the right magnitude. The higher system simply increases the reference signal it is outputing to the lower system until the higher system’s perception matches the higher reference signal being received from still further up.
All the above pertains to any general perceptual-motor control system. But the same arrangement exists for the reorganizing system and the intrinsic variables it controls. However, the time scale is much slower and the means of producing output effects on the controlled intrinsic variable is very different. Also, the reference signal may not be variable, though for most homeostatic systems it is known to vary. A reference signal may not actually exist as a neural or chemical signal, but the same effect can be achieved if there is a bias built into the sensing part of the circuit – an input threshold, for example, below which the perceptual signal will always be zero. A control system of that kind will bring the controlled variable up to that threshold value and keep it there against disturbances, just as if the perceptual signal were being matched to an actual reference signal.
The reorganization process, as I imagine it and as my models demonstrate, involves the “E. coli” principle in which one more more parameters of control, like output gain or input sensitivity or synaptic strength, are slowly varied at different speeds. If that reduces the error, the changes simply continue. At some point, normally, there will be a closest approach to the optimum settings of the parameter, and then the error will start to increase.
When the error starts to increase, a “tumble” occurs: the rates of change of all the parameters are randomly shuffled, so now the changes are going in a different direction in parameter space. If the error is still increasing, another tumble occurs right away, and tumbles continue to occur until the error is decreasing again. The changes keep on going in that final direction, slowing down as the amount of intrinsic error gets smaller. Eventually the error will get small enough to let the changes stop. Then the system goes on operating with constant parameters, with a new organization being visible. The intrinsic controlled variable will remain close in value to the intrinsic reference signal, whether that signal is a real signal or just some built-in bias.
Finally, I have tried to be consistent in distinguishing between a reference signal and a reference level. A reference signal is part of a proposed model of a control system; a reference level is an externally observable consequence of the setting of the hypothetical reference signal. At least for the present, most reference signals remain hypothetical. But the Test for the Controlled Variable allows us to observe and measure the reference level toward which the behavior of a control system always urges the controlled variable, the variable we observe to be protected against disturbances by observable changes in the action of the system.

Best,

Bill P.

At 08:53 AM 12/8/2011 +1100, Avery Andrews wrote:
  [Avery Andrews Dec 8 2011, 8:53 AM Eastern Oz DST]

Interesting link about a possible collection of control systems (and why many forms of alternative medicine that 'shouldn't work' actually do work):

http://edge.org/conversation/the-evolved-self-management-system

As I see it in Figure, there is only an INTRINSIC REFERENCE SIGNAL, NOT INTRINSIC REFERENCE. Maybe you ment "Intrinsic reference state" by term "intrinsic reference".

In B:CP there are ony two definitions (maybe I missed something) :

1.. Intrinsic reference level

2… Intrinsic reference signal
I couldn’t find “intrinsic references”. So where did you see this term ?

As I see it from the Figure 14.1 on p. 191 there is no way that we could determine how "intrinsic reference signal" or "intrinsic reference level" or "intrinsic reference" could specifiy values of "intrinsic variables". Do you see it ? Please show me.
  RM : See Figure 14.1 p. 191 in B:CP second edition to see what I'm talking
  which acts on the learned control hierarchy  to affect the state of
reference signals.
BH : If I understand right you are equating --> intrinsic reference = reference signal ?

So what is then "reference signal " in behavioral heirarchy or you called it "learned control hierarhcy" ? Where this reference signal is coming from ? As I see it from figure 14.1. on p. 191 it's coming from nowhere on 11.level.

So if I understand right what you are saying, is that reorganizing system acts on "learned control hierarchy" which can be called "behavioral", and affect the state of intrinsic variables (called intrinsic quantities) through the external enviroment via behavior and bring them to the reference states specified by the genetically given reference signal (called "intrinsic reference signal") what we can imagine as we want, as it isn't specified directly in Figure 14.1. on p. 191.  Is this right ?
    BH earlier:  Maybe the main question is,  what are "intrinsic references" ?
RM earlier : I hope that's been answered for you now.

BH : I'm sorry to say Rick,  but I don't see PCT answer to my question. Maybe it's just my impression. As I see it, the main problem stays. Maybe you were right when you wrote :

RM earlier :

actually don’t know what he means by that.

BH : Maybe we all don't know exactly what we meant by what.

From my point of view, you and me make our standing-points about how organisms might work more compatible. Maybe we should change a little the Figure 14.1. on p. 191 and make it closer to what you were saying. Maybe we are coming again to the "boiling point" where I and Bill "disagree" about proposal of "arrows". We can't know it for sure what's really right. Nobody knows for sure. All are just subjective interpretations (own world of limited perceptions) of us people who are forming or constructing our reality from "machine" as Ashby would say.

But so did Gavin. He formed his own picture about PCT as there are holes in Bill's theory and he couldn't find answers to his problems of understanding PCT. If I recall it right, he asked a simple question : what are we controlling when we are observing the sun-set ? Can we answer it now ? There was no need to be so rude to him as we see nothing is absolute. Even PCT not.

Regards

Rick

Best,

Boris

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:34 AM, boris_upc <boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:
  intrinsic variables.
  which acts on the learned control hierarchy  to affect the state of

reference signals.

BH:  Maybe the main question is,  what are "intrinsic references" ?

Regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bill Powers (2011.12.10.0857 MST)]

BH: So it doesn’t matter
to me whether we are observing “E-colli” or any other single
cell organism or an organism with billions of cells as I think the model
should “cover” all living beings.

BP: It not E. coli that matters, but the principle that we are shown by
the way it is able to move up and down gradients of attractants and
repellants by randomly tumbling. A very systematic result is controlled
through random variations of output. That’s what is important about what
we learned from E. coli.
In the normal concept of random trial and error, or in genetics,
mutation, the random effects cause step-changes in system parameters,
each change being unrelated to previous or following changes. That method
has some probability of finding a beneficial change. But not a very high
probability, and the probability rapidly decreases as more kinds of
errors are being increased at the same time by selection
pressures.
That was my original concept of reorganization described in the 1960
paper, and it followed Ashby’s idea. It seemed too inefficient, and very
little was done with reorganization for 20 years or so because of
that.
When I read Koshland’s book on chemotaxis in E. coli, I found there
another way to do reorganization which still relied on random changes
rather than intelligent direction, but which was far more efficient – by
a measured factor of about 70 in one demonstration, and by much larger
factors when multiple parameters were being changed at the same time and
multiple dimensions of error were involved. While the initial model
followed Ashby in most details, the new one brought in a principle that
Ashby didn’t know about.
In the E. coli algorithm, parameter changes happen continuously at a rate
determined by the amount of error in the system being reorganized. This
corresponds to E. coli swimming in a straight line at some speed and some
angle to the gradient of attractant or repellent.
As long as the error being monitored by the reorganizing system is
getting smaller, nothing else happens. The parameters simply go on
changing, more slowly as the error gets smaller. I think this is what
geneticists call “genetic drift.” But inevitably, the optimum
point will be passed and the error will start increasing. E. coli swims
past the point where it is closest to the source of the attractant.
That’s when E. coli “tumbles” and randomly changes the
direction in which it swims. In the reorganization model, the rates of
change of the parameters being reorganized are randomly reset to new
values, so now they are changing in new proportions relative to each
other.
If the error is still increasing, another tumble occurs but eventually,
if the system doesn’t crash first, the error starts to decrease again.
Obviously this will continue until the remaining error is too small to
drive the steady changes in parameters.
I’m explaining this again partly to make my presentations better, but
partly to show that there is nothing special about E. coli other than the
new principle of reorganization suggested by its method of locomotion.
That is a vast improvement over any method that simply changes parameters
directly at random.
This is important because certain objections to the idea of evolution and
natural selection are based on calculations showing that the probabilties
of the observed changes are simply too low to make that theory
believable. And it is unbelievable: I have commented before on the way
models of evolution like the “genetic algorithm” cheat by
allowing organisms to survive that merely change in the right direction
rather than getting all the way to the new organization actually needed
for survival – they are given credit for moving a bit more in the
direction of food, rather than actually getting to the food. Such models
are actually given a critical amount of help by the intelligent
programmer, who knows in advance what kind of change would be beneficial.
The genetic algorithm, as used, is an instance of intelligent
design.
With the E. coli algorithm, we now have a way for the organism to evolve
all by itself so as to get to the food and eat it. At the same time, we
do away with the old definition of “fitness,” which is merely
survival to the age of reproduction. By that definition, the most fit
human beings are successful serial rapists. Now we can say simply that
the most fit organisms are those that keep their internal error signals
the smallest – and, of course, who also survive long enough to reproduce
to a reasonable degree and get along with their contemporaries while not
devastating the resources they need. Natural selection does occur; it’s
simply not enough by itself to account for evolution.
But I propose that the E. coli algorithm is enough.

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 11:09 PM 12/9/2011 +0100, Boris Hartman wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.11.1030)]

Bill Powers (2011.12.10.0857 MST)

BP: It not E. coli that matters, but the principle that we are shown by the
way it is able to move up and down gradients of attractants and repellants

by randomly tumbling. A very systematic result is controlled through random
variations of output. That’s what is important about what we learned from E.
coli…

BP: This is important because certain objections to the idea of evolution and

natural selection are based on calculations showing that the probabilities of
the observed changes are simply too low to make that theory believable.

This led me to realize that there might be another problem with 'Darwin’s Hammer" type natural selection besides the improbability of random changes getting to a “solution”. It’s the problem of staying at the solution once you get there.

If random mutations are always occurring at a constant rate in a population then it seems to me that the population is just as unlikely to remain in the “evolved” state as it was to get there in the first place. That is, I don’t think the constant mutation rate model would produce the “punctuated” fossil record that is actually observed. Instead, there would be continuous drifting from one form to another. (I know as well as anyone that God put those fossils there just to test our faith but it’s still fun to play with Godless models of this observation while everyone else is in church).

I think I can demonstrate that this is the case using a variant of my “selection of consequences” demo at:

http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Select.html

The Reinforcement button runs a model of dot movement that is equivalent to the natural selection model. The Control button runs a model of dot movement that is equivalent to the E. coli reorganization model of natural selection. The demo stops when the dot reaches the target or when the simulation has run for a threshold amount of iterations. The Control model always gets the dot to the target; the Reinforcement model rarely does, but sometimes the dot does get to the target by chance.

But if I let the simulation keep running indefinitely, the Control model would keep the dot on the target once it got it there for as long as the simulation ran; the Reinforcement model might eventually get the dot to hit the target but the dot would soon drift away from the target if the simulation kept running.

The evolutionary analog is that the target is an environmental niche to which the population (dot) is adapting. The changes in direction of movement of the dot are the phenotypic changes resulting from genetic mutation. The success of a mutation is measured in terms of the resulting direction of movement of the dot relative to the target; a “good” mutation is one which results in the dot moving toward the target. In the Reinforcement model the probability of a particular movement direction (mutation) becomes more probable if it produces a “good” result (survives longer). In the Control (E. coli) model the probability of a mutation (change in direction) decreases in proportion to whether the current direction is moving the dot closer or farther from the target.

I’m not sure that the Reinforcement model is a good analog of natural selection (Skinner thought it was) but I do think it would be interesting to see how existing models of natural selection do (in terms of keeping a population “adapted” to its niche) once the evolutionary process has brought the population to the adapted state. When I get a chance I’ll try to extend my “selection of consequences” demo to show that the most effective way to stabilize a result of random variation is via selection retention based on a control type (E. coli) process. But maybe evolutionary simulations already exist that show this. There must be some on the net. Does anyone know of any good ones?

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Bill Powers (2011.12.11.1150 MST)]

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.11.1030)]

RM: This led me to realize that there might be another problem with 'Darwin's Hammer" type natural selection besides the improbability of random changes getting to a "solution". It's the problem of _staying_ at the solution once you get there.

Marvellous. Of course. You're on a great track, keep it going. This one really looks publishable.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2011.12.11.1105)]

Bill Powers (2011.12.11.1150 MST)--

Rick Marken (2011.12.11.1030)--

RM: This led me to realize that there might be another problem with
'Darwin's Hammer" type natural selection �besides the improbability of
random changes getting to a "solution". It's the problem of _staying_ at the
solution once you get there.

BP: Marvellous. Of course. You're on a great track, keep it going. This one
really looks publishable.

I thought so, but I was afraid to believe that my little brain could