Identity tag creator for Windows users

The sending time corresponds the publication time, and it can be of interest for historical study of the structure of discussion. However if you maintain the archive in an email program it will automatically order the messages according the “date� header independently
of the identity tag.

Anyway at some time near future I will see if it is simple enough to create an UTC time stamp as it should be.

Eetu
(Lähetetty kännykästä / Sent from mobile)

···

Martin Taylor mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net kirjoitti 26.1.2018 kello 22.31:

[Martin Taylor 2018.01.26.15.22]

On 2018/01/26 3:14 PM, John Kirkland wrote:

[John Kirkland 2018-01-27 0910]

Nice question Martin.
I use date stamps to not only for tagging messages but also for tracking sequences of emergent ideas.

I guess many of my messages must seem pretty mysterious, then! They have an EST or EDT time on them, which is the date and time I begin to think about the message. That is often one or more days, sometimes weeks, before the message is finished, during which
time I may have been influenced by further messages in that or another thread. I have never gone back to change the ID stamp, and I’m afraid that if I were to commit to do so now I would forget. Being on a Mac, I can’t use Eetu’s script. I suppose someone
could write an AppleScript equivalent, that edited messages when they were posted (but only messages from CSGnet), but that someone would not be me, as I have never used AppleScript.

When I receive an e-mail from CSGnet or anywhere else, it has a received data and time Your message to which I am responding, with the ID stamp 0910, was received at 1514, for example… Could you not use that?

Martin

By adopting UTC (with another line or two of code, Etu) then both options are then available.

Though, one could include a time zone along with name. Like "John Kirkland (NZT) )

Or, preferably, [John Kirkland (UTC) ]

In any case, Etu’s suggestion and Bruce’s clip-on are a useful ones. Nice.

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Martin Taylor
mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

[Martin Taylor 2018.01.26.14.51]

[john kirkland 2018-01-27_0748]

Two small comments for a good idea in progress:

1. with my computer “name,txt” cannot be saved in program files without permission.
  1. it seems, according to the date stamps provided on messages listed above, that Bruce’s first message was posted before Etu’s initial one even though sequenced later. As was suggested a while ago on this site, to overcome this problem perhaps all time
    stamps could be adjusted to displaying UTC (here are some standard formats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timestamp
    ).

John, do you use the ID stamp time to sequence the CSGnet e-mails? I have always thought of them as simply a unique ID that allows one to refer back to a message on which you are commenting, when that message may have been sent days, weeks or months
previously.

Martin

Cheers

Virus-free.
www.avg.com

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 5:48 AM, Richard Marken
rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[Rick Marken 2018-01-26_08:48:08]

Eetu Pikkarainen (2018-01-23_11:24:55)

Dear listers,

I finally made a (very) little accessory program to create those identity tags (or whatever their name is) in the beginning of the messages. It creates the tag like this: [Eetu Pikkarainen 2018-01-23_11:27:45] by just pressing a combination of two keys.

RM: This is great! Thanks, Eetu. Another great product of Finland.

Best

Rick

Open the attached zip and save its contents to some folder, for example to desktop or to programs folder.

Some help info is in ReadMe.txt

Put your name to name.txt file (first row, no line break) Note that this file must be in the same folder as idtag.exe.

Run the idtag.exe. (You can create a shortcut file to the startup folder.)

Then by pressing ctrl and 8 at the same time will produce that tag: your name with current local time.

More info:
https://autohotkey.com/

Eetu

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[My name 2018-01-29_07:52:32 UTC]

Now, Hopefully, there is a new working version:
https://wiki.oulu.fi/download/attachments/71895546/IdTag2.zip

The difference is that if you press ctrl-9 it will create the identity tag with UTC time.

···

Eetu

Sent: Saturday, January 27, 2018 3:28 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Identity tag creator for Windows users

The sending time corresponds the publication time, and it can be of interest for historical study of the structure of discussion.
However if you maintain the archive in an email program it will automatically order the messages according the “date� header independently of the identity tag.

Anyway at some time near future I will see if it is simple enough to create an UTC time stamp as it should be.

Eetu

Nice question Martin.

I use date stamps to not only for tagging messages but also for tracking sequences of emergent ideas.

I guess many of my messages must seem pretty mysterious, then! They have an EST or EDT time on them, which is the date and time I begin to think about the message. That is often one or more days, sometimes weeks, before the message is finished, during which
time I may have been influenced by further messages in that or another thread. I have never gone back to change the ID stamp, and I’m afraid that if I were to commit to do so now I would forget. Being on a Mac, I can’t use Eetu’s script. I suppose someone
could write an AppleScript equivalent, that edited messages when they were posted (but only messages from CSGnet), but that someone would not be me, as I have never used AppleScript.

When I receive an e-mail from CSGnet or anywhere else, it has a received data and time Your message to which I am responding, with the ID stamp 0910, was received at 1514, for example… Could you not use that?

Martin

By adopting UTC (with another line or two of code, Etu) then both options are then available.

Though, one could include a time zone along with name. Like "John Kirkland (NZT) )

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 8:53 AM, Martin Taylor mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

1. with my computer “name,txt” cannot be saved in program files without permission.
  1. it seems, according to the date stamps provided on messages listed above, that Bruce’s first message was posted before Etu’s initial one even though sequenced later. As was suggested a while ago on this site, to overcome this problem
    perhaps all time stamps could be adjusted to displaying UTC (here are some standard formats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timestamp
    ).

John, do you use the ID stamp time to sequence the CSGnet e-mails? I have always thought of them as simply a unique ID that allows one to refer back to a message on which you are commenting, when that message may have been sent days, weeks or months previously.

Martin

Cheers

Virus-free.

www.avg.com

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 5:48 AM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

Dear listers,

I finally made a (very) little accessory program to create those identity tags (or whatever their name is) in the beginning of the messages. It creates the tag like this: [Eetu Pikkarainen 2018-01-23_11:27:45] by just pressing a combination of two keys.

Best

Rick

Open the attached zip and save its contents to some folder, for example to desktop or to programs folder.
Put your name to name.txt file (first row, no line break) Note that this file must be in the same folder as idtag.exe.
Then by pressing ctrl and 8 at the same time will produce that tag: your name with current local time.

More info:

Eetu

Richard S. Marken

--Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[Bruce Nevin 2018-01-29_13:04:20 UTC]

So now I have a choice of Ctrl-9 for UTC, as above, or manually inserting ET after pressing Ctrl-8, as below.

[Bruce Nevin 2018-01-29_08:04:27 ET]

(The shortcut to the new idtag.exe has (2) at the end of the shortcut name.)

···

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:54 AM, Eetu Pikkarainen eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi wrote:

Â

The difference is that if you press ctrl-9 it will create the identity tag with UTC time.

Â

Eetu

Â

Â

The sending time corresponds the publication time, and it can be of interest for historical study of the structure of discussion.
However if you maintain the archive in an email program it will automatically order the messages according the “dateâ€? header independently of the identity tag.Â

Â

Anyway at some time near future I will see if it is simple enough to create an UTC time stamp as it should be.Â

Eetu

Â

Nice question Martin.

Martin

Though, one could include a time zone along with name. Like "John Kirkland (NZT) )

Â

In any case, Etu’s suggestion and Bruce’s clip-on are a useful ones. Nice.

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

1. it seems, according to the date stamps provided on messages listed above, that Bruce’s first message was posted before Etu’s initial one even though sequenced later. As was suggested a while ago on this site, to overcome this problem
    perhaps all time stamps could be adjusted to displaying UTC (here are some standard formats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timestamp
    ).

John, do you use the ID stamp time to sequence the CSGnet e-mails? I have always thought of them as simply a unique ID that allows one to refer back to a message on which you are commenting, when that message may have been sent days, weeks or months previously.

Martin

Â

Cheers

Â

Â

Virus-free.

www.avg.com

Â

Â

Dear listers,

Â

RM: This is great! Thanks, Eetu. Another great product of Finland.Â

Â

Best

Â

Rick

Â

More info:

Eetu

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Â

Â

Â

Â

This AutoHotkey script has stopped working for me because Chrome has usurped Ctrl-n to open the nth open tab.

https://www.computerhope.com/shortcut/chrome.htm

···

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:55 AM Eetu Pikkarainen eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi wrote:

Â

Â

Eetu

Â

Â

However if you maintain the archive in an email program it will automatically order the messages according the “dateâ€? header independently of the identity tag.Â

Â

Anyway at some time near future I will see if it is simple enough to create an UTC time stamp as it should be.Â

Eetu

Â

Nice question Martin.

Martin

Though, one could include a time zone along with name. Like "John Kirkland (NZT) )

Â

In any case, Etu’s suggestion and Bruce’s clip-on are a useful ones. Nice.

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

perhaps all time stamps could be adjusted to displaying UTC (here are some standard formats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timestamp
    ).

Martin

Â

Cheers

Â

Â

Virus-free.

www.avg.com

Â

Â

Dear listers,

Â

RM: This is great! Thanks, Eetu. Another great product of Finland.Â

Â

Best

Â

Rick

Â

More info:

Eetu

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Â

Â

Â

Â

Bruce,

Do you read mail by Chrome? I still wonder, because I have thought that Autohotkey should take the keypresses first. I will add there alternative key combinations but in the mean while
you should create the tag in different program and copy paste…

Eetu

···

This AutoHotkey script has stopped working for me because Chrome has usurped Ctrl-n to open the
nth open tab.

https://www.computerhope.com/shortcut/chrome.htm

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:55 AM Eetu Pikkarainen eetu.pikkarainen@oulu.fi wrote:

Eetu

However if you maintain the archive in an email program it will automatically order the messages according the “date� header independently of the identity tag.

Eetu

Nice question Martin.

Martin

1. it seems, according to the date stamps provided on messages listed above, that Bruce’s first message was posted before Etu’s initial one even though sequenced later. As was suggested a while ago on this site, to overcome this problem perhaps all time stamps
    could be adjusted to displaying UTC (here are some standard formats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timestamp
    ).

Martin

Cheers

Virus-free.

www.avg.com

Dear listers,

Best

Rick

More info:

Eetu

Richard S. Marken