Insight into PCT models

[From Bill Powers (2010.12.22.2300 MDT)]

Something is coming together that is making sense of some ideas I have resisted for a long time. It has to do with the brain's models of the external world. From the way I have seen those models proposed by others such as Ashby and Modern Control Theory adherents, I have thought they were simply impractical, calling for far too much knowledge, computing power, and precision of action -- as indeed they are and they do, as they have been presented.

But those ideas may nevertheless be right. Some of those other blind men standing around the elephant are perhaps only a little nearsighted, and are seeing something going on that looks fuzzily like modeling, but there's something funny about it so it isn't quite how it seems from this angle or that. This particular blind or nearsighted man writing these sentences has not seen models; he has seen a hierarchy of perceptions that somehow represents an external world, and a large collection of Complex Environmental Variables (as Martin Taylor calls them) that is mirrored inside the brain in the form of perceptions.

Briefly, then: what I call the hierarchy of perceptions is the model. When you open your eyes and look around, what you see -- and feel, smell, hear, and taste -- is the model. In fact we never experience ANYTHING BUT the model. The model is composed of perceptions of all kinds from intensities on up.

Warren Mansell asked some questions about feedback and feedfoward that stirred a few thoughts up. I think his ambition to integrate different ideas people have had about control theory suddenly looked more appealing than before. I've been working on and thinking about how to get a better fit of the current tracking model to the real behavior, and that has stirred up a lot more thoughts. I was thinking about how to add a two-level controller in which the upper level controls position and the level below controls rate of change (yes, I know that's backward). I realized that I would need a sensor that senses rate of change of position, and that, in turn, called to mind the neat analog-computing techique that computes first derivatives by putting an integrator in the feedback path of a little control system -- it's actually described in LCS3, chapter 5.

I considered using that method to implement a new model for the TrackAnalyze program and for some reason didn't like the idea of doing it that way. Then the reason dawned on me: I was actually proposing to put a model of the physical environment into my PCT model, and I'm not supposed to be in favor of doing that. But it happens that if you integrate the force applied to a mass, the value of the integral represents the velocity, which keeps changing in proportion to the force. The velocity is the first derivative of position. The factor applied to the force as it is being integrated represents the reciprocal of the mass of the object being pushed upon. So I was proposing to put a model of the mass of an arm, together with Newton's laws of motion, into my sacred PCT model.

So: I was thinking of sticking a model into my model, between the output and the input, as a convenient way of getting a signal that would represent velocity. It would be generated by applying a force to a simulated mass. So the arm controller would sense the force its muscles were producing and integrate the force to create a synthesized perception of the velocity, and then it would have a controller for controlling that integrated perception and we would have one level of control.

But wait. Where did that model come from? Don't we need to control through the real world outside? It came from applying perceived forces to perceived things and -- for one example -- seeing them move. A kinesthetically detected output force becomes a perceptual signal representing force; the force signal is integrated to produce a visual perception of changing velocity; a visual perception of velocity is integrated to produce a visual perception of position, and a changing velocity produces a perception of acceleration. And this is all happening inside the nervous system. In a model.

The modern control theorists came closest to seeing how this works. They said that the internal model was carefully constructed to have the same properties as the external "plant" that was to be controlled. Then the brain could work out, internally, what signal it had to send into the model to make it behave in a certain way, and when it had that working, it could send the same signal to the external "plant" and it would behave the same way. They admit that to make this work the model of the plant has to be rather dauntingly accurate, and every disturbance has to be accurately anticipated as to size, direction, and time of occurrance.

So the picture I got was that the brain supposedly had the ability to examine the plant and measure its properties, and then constructed a computed model inside itself based on the data thus obtained. But of course I knew that the brain can do no such thing: all it knows are the perceptions it gets, and it has no way to compare them with the real plant Out There to see if it got the measurements right. Everything it does has to be done with the perceptions, not with the real plant.

That is where I had always stopped before, just prior to discarding the model-based control idea once again. But for some reason, this time I kept going.

We can sense output force because the tendons have sensors that report how hard the muscles are pulling, and we have pressure sensors all over that detect how hard a hand or foot is pressing against something else. We have sensors to tell us if a joint angle is changing as a result of the force, and of course we have vision to give a different spatial view of the result. So by experimenting with output forces, we can build up a set of control systems for controlling the immediate consequences of applying forces. We can get to know how much consequence a given amount of force produces. Years later we will learn that the ratio of force to consequence is called "mass." But if we integrate the force to produce a velocity, we can discover empirically what the value of this ratio is for different objects, without calling it anything.

That is all we need to do to build up a model of the external world. It's not even that; it's just a model of the world. The idea that there's also an external world that we don't experience takes a while to develop. At first it's just the only world there is.

So that is the model that Ashby and the Modern Control Theorists are talking about. It's the world we experience. When we examine that external plant in order to model it, we're already looking at the brain's model. It lacks detail, but as we probe and push and peer and twiddle and otherwise act on these rudimentary perceptions, new perceptions form that begin to add features and properties -- like mass -- to the model. We say we are analyzing the plant. What we are doing is building up perceptions of properties and features that can be affected by sending signals outward, learning how to control the perceptions. Why we have to act one way instead of another to get a particular effect is unknown, but we learn the rules. When we don't get the effect we want, we alter what we are doing until we do get it.

We never do actually, knowingly, interact with the plant itself.

It seems very risky to be operating entirely on an internal model without any ability to know what is really going on that we can't see, but really, it's not. Before you step into the bathtub you feel the water, so if you've made a mistake you're not going to scald your whole body. We detect errors very quickly and make adjustments almost as quickly to limit the errors, and eventually to keep them from ever getting very large. We're always interacting with whatever is Out There, and we learn fast. Most of us. most of the time, don't even think about the invisible universe Out There. The visible one is sufficient to keep us busy and interested. The idea that there's another bigger one that actually determines what the rules are doesn't usually arise.

I'm beginning to get an idea now about how to model perceptions, at least at the lower levels. All we have to do is make a model of the environment, just like that analog-computing trick for calculating rates of change by using integrators, which turns out to embody Newton's laws of motion. This whole idea is still very new and I don't see very far along the path ahead, but I have a feeling that what looked very difficult before may start getting a little less difficult.

I'd better get to bed; it's very strange to look around at this room and think "This is my model. I, or something in me, constructed every detail in it, all the things I recognize and know about it and can do to it. Help, is this solipsism?"

But no, it's not. Solipsism says there really isn't anything else. We can freely assume that there is a huge lawful universe full of regularities, as long as we realize that all we will ever experience of it is the model that we build in our brains. When it does what we call raining we get what we call wet, but we can only assume that those experiences occurring in our models correspond in some unknowable way to whatever else there is.

I hope all of this doesn't evaporate overnight.

Best,

Bill P.

Thank you Bill. Very cool.

···

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Bill Powers <powers_w@frontier.net> wrote:

Something is coming together that is making sense of some ideas I have
resisted for a long time. It has to do with the brain's models of the
external world. From the way I have seen those models proposed by others
such as Ashby and Modern Control Theory adherents, I have thought they were
simply impractical, calling for far too much knowledge, computing power, and
precision of action -- as indeed they are and they do, as they have been
presented.

But those ideas may nevertheless be right. Some of those other blind men
standing around the elephant are perhaps only a little nearsighted, and are
seeing something going on that looks fuzzily like modeling, but there's
something funny about it so it isn't quite how it seems from this angle or
that. This particular blind or nearsighted man writing these sentences has
not seen models; he has seen a hierarchy of perceptions that somehow
represents an external world, and a large collection of Complex
Environmental Variables (as Martin Taylor calls them) that is mirrored
inside the brain in the form of perceptions.

Briefly, then: what I call the hierarchy of perceptions is the model. When
you open your eyes and look around, what you see -- and feel, smell, hear,
and taste -- is the model. In fact we never experience ANYTHING BUT the
model. The model is composed of perceptions of all kinds from intensities on
up.

Warren Mansell asked some questions about feedback and feedfoward that
stirred a few thoughts up. I think his ambition to integrate different ideas
people have had about control theory suddenly looked more appealing than
before. I've been working on and thinking about how to get a better fit of
the current tracking model to the real behavior, and that has stirred up a
lot more thoughts. I was thinking about how to add a two-level controller in
which the upper level controls position and the level below controls rate of
change (yes, I know that's backward). I realized that I would need a sensor
that senses rate of change of position, and that, in turn, called to mind
the neat analog-computing techique that computes first derivatives by
putting an integrator in the feedback path of a little control system --
it's actually described in LCS3, chapter 5.

I considered using that method to implement a new model for the TrackAnalyze
program and for some reason didn't like the idea of doing it that way. Then
the reason dawned on me: I was actually proposing to put a model of the
physical environment into my PCT model, and I'm not supposed to be in favor
of doing that. But it happens that if you integrate the force applied to a
mass, the value of the integral represents the velocity, which keeps
changing in proportion to the force. The velocity is the first derivative of
position. The factor applied to the force as it is being integrated
represents the reciprocal of the mass of the object being pushed upon. So I
was proposing to put a model of the mass of an arm, together with Newton's
laws of motion, into my sacred PCT model.

So: I was thinking of sticking a model into my model, between the output and
the input, as a convenient way of getting a signal that would represent
velocity. It would be generated by applying a force to a simulated mass. So
the arm controller would sense the force its muscles were producing and
integrate the force to create a synthesized perception of the velocity, and
then it would have a controller for controlling that integrated perception
and we would have one level of control.

But wait. Where did that model come from? Don't we need to control through
the real world outside? It came from applying perceived forces to perceived
things and -- for one example -- seeing them move. A kinesthetically
detected output force becomes a perceptual signal representing force; the
force signal is integrated to produce a visual perception of changing
velocity; a visual perception of velocity is integrated to produce a visual
perception of position, and a changing velocity produces a perception of
acceleration. And this is all happening inside the nervous system. In a
model.

The modern control theorists came closest to seeing how this works. They
said that the internal model was carefully constructed to have the same
properties as the external "plant" that was to be controlled. Then the brain
could work out, internally, what signal it had to send into the model to
make it behave in a certain way, and when it had that working, it could send
the same signal to the external "plant" and it would behave the same way.
They admit that to make this work the model of the plant has to be rather
dauntingly accurate, and every disturbance has to be accurately anticipated
as to size, direction, and time of occurrance.

So the picture I got was that the brain supposedly had the ability to
examine the plant and measure its properties, and then constructed a
computed model inside itself based on the data thus obtained. But of course
I knew that the brain can do no such thing: all it knows are the perceptions
it gets, and it has no way to compare them with the real plant Out There to
see if it got the measurements right. Everything it does has to be done with
the perceptions, not with the real plant.

That is where I had always stopped before, just prior to discarding the
model-based control idea once again. But for some reason, this time I kept
going.

We can sense output force because the tendons have sensors that report how
hard the muscles are pulling, and we have pressure sensors all over that
detect how hard a hand or foot is pressing against something else. We have
sensors to tell us if a joint angle is changing as a result of the force,
and of course we have vision to give a different spatial view of the result.
So by experimenting with output forces, we can build up a set of control
systems for controlling the immediate consequences of applying forces. We
can get to know how much consequence a given amount of force produces. Years
later we will learn that the ratio of force to consequence is called "mass."
But if we integrate the force to produce a velocity, we can discover
empirically what the value of this ratio is for different objects, without
calling it anything.

That is all we need to do to build up a model of the external world. It's
not even that; it's just a model of the world. The idea that there's also an
external world that we don't experience takes a while to develop. At first
it's just the only world there is.

So that is the model that Ashby and the Modern Control Theorists are talking
about. It's the world we experience. When we examine that external plant in
order to model it, we're already looking at the brain's model. It lacks
�detail, but as we probe and push and peer and twiddle and otherwise act on
these rudimentary perceptions, new perceptions form that begin to add
features and properties -- like mass -- to the model. We say we are
analyzing the plant. What we are doing is building up perceptions of
properties and features that can be affected by sending signals outward,
learning how to control the perceptions. Why we have to act one way instead
of another to get a particular �effect is unknown, but we learn the rules.
When we don't get the effect we want, we alter what we are doing until we do
get it.

It seems very risky to be operating entirely on an internal model without
any ability to know what is really going on that we can't see, but really,
it's not. Before you step into the bathtub you feel the water, so if you've
made a mistake you're not going to scald your whole body. We detect errors
very quickly and make adjustments almost as quickly to limit the errors, and
eventually to keep them from ever getting very large. We're always
interacting with whatever is Out There, and we learn fast. Most of us. most
of the time, don't even think about the invisible universe Out There. The
visible one is sufficient to keep us busy and interested. The idea that
there's another bigger one that actually determines what the rules are
doesn't usually arise.

I'm beginning to get an idea now about how to model perceptions, at least at
the lower levels. All we have to do is make a model of the environment, just
like that analog-computing trick for calculating rates of change by using
integrators, which turns out to embody Newton's laws of motion. This whole
idea is still very new and I don't see very far along the path ahead, but I
have a feeling that what looked very difficult before may start getting a
little less difficult.

I'd better get to bed; it's very strange to look around at this room and
think "This is my model. I, or something in me, constructed every detail in
it, all the things I recognize and know about it and can do to it. Help, is
this solipsism?"

But no, it's not. Solipsism says there really isn't anything else. We can
freely assume that there is a huge lawful universe full of regularities, as
long as we realize that all we will ever experience of it is the model that
we build in our brains. When it does what we call raining we get what we
call wet, but we can only assume that those experiences occurring in our
models correspond in some unknowable way to whatever else there is.

I hope all of this doesn't evaporate overnight.

Best,

Bill P.

That has been the understanding of the human condition since Descartes.
Martin L
Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

···

-----Original message-----

From: Bill Powers powers_w@FRONTIER.NETTo: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDUSent: Thu, Jan 1, 1970 00:00:00 GMT+00:00Subject: Insight into PCT models

Something is coming together that is making sense of some ideas I have resisted for a long time. It has to do with the brain’s models of the external world. From the way I have seen those models proposed by others such as Ashby and Modern Control Theory adherents, I have thought they were simply impractical, calling for far too much knowledge, computing power, and precision of action – as indeed they are and they do, as they have been presented.

But those ideas may nevertheless be right. Some of those other blind men standing around the elephant are perhaps only a little nearsighted, and are seeing something going on that looks fuzzily like modeling, but there’s something funny about it so it isn’t quite how it seems from this angle or that. This particular blind or nearsighted man writing these sentences has not seen models; he has seen a hierarchy of perceptions that somehow represents an external world, and a large collection of Complex Environmental Variables (as Martin Taylor calls them) that is mirrored inside the brain in the form of perceptions.

Briefly, then: what I call the hierarchy of perceptions is the model. When you open your eyes and look around, what you see – and feel, smell, hear, and taste – is the model. In fact we never experience ANYTHING BUT the model. The model is composed of perceptions of all kinds from intensities on up.

Warren Mansell asked some questions about feedback and feedfoward that stirred a few thoughts up. I think his ambition to integrate different ideas people have had about control theory suddenly looked more appealing than before. I’ve been working on and thinking about how to get a better fit of the current tracking model to the real behavior, and that has stirred up a lot more thoughts. I was thinking about how to add a two-level controller in which the upper level controls position and the level below controls rate of change (yes, I know that’s backward). I realized that I would need a sensor that senses rate of change of position, and that, in turn, called to mind the neat analog-computing techique that computes first derivatives by putting an integrator in the feedback path of a little control system – it’s actually described in LCS3, chapter 5.

I considered using that method to implement a new model for the TrackAnalyze program and for some reason didn’t like the idea of doing it that way. Then the reason dawned on me: I was actually proposing to put a model of the physical environment into my PCT model, and I’m not supposed to be in favor of doing that. But it happens that if you integrate the force applied to a mass, the value of the integral represents the velocity, which keeps changing in proportion to the force. The velocity is the first derivative of position. The factor applied to the force as it is being integrated represents the reciprocal of the mass of the object being pushed upon. So I was proposing to put a model of the mass of an arm, together with Newton’s laws of motion, into my sacred PCT model.

So: I was thinking of sticking a model into my model, between the output and the input, as a convenient way of getting a signal that would represent velocity. It would be generated by applying a force to a simulated mass. So the arm controller would sense the force its muscles were producing and integrate the force to create a synthesized perception of the velocity, and then it would have a controller for controlling that integrated perception and we would have one level of control.

But wait. Where did that model come from? Don’t we need to control through the real world outside? It came from applying perceived forces to perceived things and – for one example – seeing them move. A kinesthetically detected output force becomes a perceptual signal representing force; the force signal is integrated to produce a visual perception of changing velocity; a visual perception of velocity is integrated to produce a visual perception of position, and a changing velocity produces a perception of acceleration. And this is all happening inside the nervous system. In a model.

The modern control theorists came closest to seeing how this works. They said that the internal model was carefully constructed to have the same properties as the external “plant” that was to be controlled. Then the brain could work out, internally, what signal it had to send into the model to make it behave in a certain way, and when it had that working, it could send the same signal to the external “plant” and it would behave the same way. They admit that to make this work the model of the plant has to be rather dauntingly accurate, and every disturbance has to be accurately anticipated as to size, direction, and time of occurrance.

So the picture I got was that the brain supposedly had the ability to examine the plant and measure its properties, and then constructed a computed model inside itself based on the data thus obtained. But of course I knew that the brain can do no such thing: all it knows are the perceptions it gets, and it has no way to compare them with the real plant Out There to see if it got the measurements right. Everything it does has to be done with the perceptions, not with the real plant.

That is where I had always stopped before, just prior to discarding the model-based control idea once again. But for some reason, this time I kept going.

We can sense output force because the tendons have sensors that report how hard the muscles are pulling, and we have pressure sensors all over that detect how hard a hand or foot is pressing against something else. We have sensors to tell us if a joint angle is changing as a result of the force, and of course we have vision to give a different spatial view of the result. So by experimenting with output forces, we can build up a set of control systems for controlling the immediate consequences of applying forces. We can get to know how much consequence a given amount of force produces. Years later we will learn that the ratio of force to consequence is called “mass.” But if we integrate the force to produce a velocity, we can discover empirically what the value of this ratio is for different objects, without calling it anything.

That is all we need to do to build up a model of the external world. It’s not even that; it’s just a model of the world. The idea that there’s also an external world that we don’t experience takes a while to develop. At first it’s just the only world there is.

So that is the model that Ashby and the Modern Control Theorists are talking about. It’s the world we experience. When we examine that external plant in order to model it, we’re already looking at the brain’s model. It lacks detail, but as we probe and push and peer and twiddle and otherwise act on these rudimentary perceptions, new perceptions form that begin to add features and properties – like mass – to the model. We say we are analyzing the plant. What we are doing is building up perceptions of properties and features that can be affected by sending signals outward, learning how to control the perceptions. Why we have to act one way instead of another to get a particular effect is unknown, but we learn the rules. When we don’t get the effect we want, we alter what we are doing until we do get it.

It seems very risky to be operating entirely on an internal model without any ability to know what is really going on that we can’t see, but really, it’s not. Before you step into the bathtub you feel the water, so if you’ve made a mistake you’re not going to scald your whole body. We detect errors very quickly and make adjustments almost as quickly to limit the errors, and eventually to keep them from ever getting very large. We’re always interacting with whatever is Out There, and we learn fast. Most of us. most of the time, don’t even think about the invisible universe Out There. The visible one is sufficient to keep us busy and interested. The idea that there’s another bigger one that actually determines what the rules are doesn’t usually arise.

I’m beginning to get an idea now about how to model perceptions, at least at the lower levels. All we have to do is make a model of the environment, just like that analog-computing trick for calculating rates of change by using integrators, which turns out to embody Newton’s laws of motion. This whole idea is still very new and I don’t see very far along the path ahead, but I have a feeling that what looked very difficult before may start getting a little less difficult.

I’d better get to bed; it’s very strange to look around at this room and think “This is my model. I, or something in me, constructed every detail in it, all the things I recognize and know about it and can do to it. Help, is this solipsism?”

But no, it’s not. Solipsism says there really isn’t anything else. We can freely assume that there is a huge lawful universe full of regularities, as long as we realize that all we will ever experience of it is the model that we build in our brains. When it does what we call raining we get what we call wet, but we can only assume that those experiences occurring in our models correspond in some unknowable way to whatever else there is.

I hope all of this doesn’t evaporate overnight.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2010.12.23.0825 MDT)]

···

At 08:38 AM 12/23/2010 -0600, Martin Lewitt wrote:

ML: That has been the understanding of the human condition since Descartes.

Well, at least congratulate me for finally catching on.

Best,

Bill P.

Hi !

Bill P :

Boris :
Well, I don't have a feeling that you finally catch on. Reading your books,
talking and books of some others, talking to you, I still think that you
strongly upgraded this view.
At least we know that perception is controlled.
But you know : nothing is so good that it couldn't be better. I still think
that you could upgrade it more.

Best,

Boris

···

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 08:24:09 -0700, Bill Powers <powers_w@FRONTIER.NET> wrote:

Best,

Bill P.

Permission, your honor, to treat witness as hostile.

Sustained.

···

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Boris Hartman <boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:

Hi !

Bill P :

Boris :

Best,

Boris

Best,

Bill P.

Permission, your honor, to treat witness as hostile.

Sustained.

Well, surprise...:))
I didn't know we are on court. Is this something like "Roy Bean" justice ?
Isaac Parker ? :))))))

Bill P :
CSGnet is not my forum. It is A forum to which anyone may subscribe and on
which anyone may write what they please.

Boris :
Was this somehow changed...?

Merry Christmas

···

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:50:56 -0600, Shannon Williams <verbingle@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Boris Hartman ><boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:

Hi !

Bill P :

Boris :

Best,

Boris

Best,

Bill P.

(Gavin Ritz 2010.12.24.9.46NZT

[From Bill Powers
(2010.12.22.2300 MDT)]

I just got roasted a few
months ago when I posted the model of the Control System with a nested model of
itself.

Now are you saying this
is an acceptable view point?

No matter which way one
cuts it, PCT in a nutshell is an
assumption of Reality and the CVn to ****θ (Controlled
variable) is its selection perception. (Where n=1 and θ= infinity).

There simply is no choice
but to accept that it will model itself. It’s built into the very
assumptions of the PCT theory. This is very nature of feedback systems.

HPCT is an assumption of
Reality.

Of course it’s
Risky to rely on an internal model, but that’s what HPCT is anyway.

Regards

Gavin

Something is coming together that is making sense of
some ideas I

have resisted for a long time. It has to do with the
brain’s models

of the external world. From the way I have seen those
models proposed

by others such as Ashby and Modern Control Theory
adherents, I have

thought they were simply impractical, calling for far
too much

knowledge, computing power, and precision of action –
as indeed they

are and they do, as they have been presented.

But those ideas may nevertheless be right. Some of
those other blind

men standing around the elephant are perhaps only a
little

nearsighted, and are seeing something going on that
looks fuzzily

like modeling, but there’s something funny about it so
it isn’t quite

how it seems from this angle or that. This particular
blind or

nearsighted man writing these sentences has not seen
models; he has

seen a hierarchy of perceptions that somehow
represents an external

world, and a large collection of Complex Environmental
Variables (as

Martin Taylor calls them) that is mirrored inside
the brain in the

form of perceptions.

Briefly, then: what I call the hierarchy of
perceptions is the model.

When you open your eyes and look around, what you see
– and feel,

smell, hear, and taste – is the model. In fact we
never experience

ANYTHING BUT the model. The model is composed of
perceptions of all

kinds from intensities on up.

Warren Mansell asked some questions about
feedback and feedfoward

that stirred a few thoughts up. I think his ambition
to integrate

different ideas people have had about control theory
suddenly looked

more appealing than before. I’ve been working on and
thinking about

how to get a better fit of the current tracking model
to the real

behavior, and that has stirred up a lot more thoughts.
I was thinking

about how to add a two-level controller in which the
upper level

controls position and the level below controls rate of
change (yes, I

know that’s backward). I realized that I would need a
sensor that

senses rate of change of position, and that, in turn,
called to mind

the neat analog-computing techique that computes first
derivatives by

putting an integrator in the feedback path of a little
control system

– it’s actually described in LCS3, chapter 5.

I considered using that method to implement a new
model for the

TrackAnalyze program and for some reason didn’t like
the idea of

doing it that way. Then the reason dawned on me: I was
actually

proposing to put a model of the physical environment
into my PCT

model, and I’m not supposed to be in favor of doing
that. But it

happens that if you integrate the force applied to a
mass, the value

of the integral represents the velocity, which keeps
changing in

proportion to the force. The velocity is the first
derivative of

position. The factor applied to the force as it is
being integrated

represents the reciprocal of the mass of the object
being pushed

upon. So I was proposing to put a model of the mass of
an arm,

together with Newton’s laws of motion, into my sacred PCT model.

So: I was thinking of sticking a model into my model,
between the

output and the input, as a convenient way of getting a
signal that

would represent velocity. It would be generated by
applying a force

to a simulated mass. So the arm controller would sense
the force its

muscles were producing and integrate the force to
create a

synthesized perception of the velocity, and then it
would have a

controller for controlling that integrated perception
and we would

have one level of control.

But wait. Where did that model come from? Don’t we
need to control

through the real world outside? It came from applying
perceived

forces to perceived things and – for one example –
seeing them

move. A kinesthetically detected output force becomes
a perceptual

signal representing force; the force signal is
integrated to produce

a visual perception of changing velocity; a visual
perception of

velocity is integrated to produce a visual perception
of position,

and a changing velocity produces a perception of
acceleration. And

this is all happening inside the nervous system. In a
model.

The modern control theorists came closest to seeing
how this works.

They said that the internal model was carefully
constructed to have

the same properties as the external “plant”
that was to be

controlled. Then the brain could work out, internally,
what signal it

had to send into the model to make it behave in a
certain way, and

when it had that working, it could send the same
signal to the

external “plant” and it would behave the
same way. They admit that to

make this work the model of the plant has to be rather
dauntingly

accurate, and every disturbance has to be accurately
anticipated as

to size, direction, and time of occurrance.

So the picture I got was that the brain supposedly had
the ability to

examine the plant and measure its properties, and then
constructed a

computed model inside itself based on the data thus
obtained. But of

course I knew that the brain can do no such thing: all
it knows are

the perceptions it gets, and it has no way to compare
them with the

real plant Out There to see if it got the measurements
right.

Everything it does has to be done with the
perceptions, not with the

real plant.

That is where I had always stopped before, just prior
to discarding

the model-based control idea once again. But for some
reason, this

time I kept going.

We can sense output force because the tendons have
sensors that

report how hard the muscles are pulling, and we have
pressure sensors

all over that detect how hard a hand or foot is
pressing against

something else. We have sensors to tell us if a joint
angle is

changing as a result of the force, and of course we
have vision to

give a different spatial view of the result. So by
experimenting with

output forces, we can build up a set of control
systems for

controlling the immediate consequences of applying
forces. We can get

to know how much consequence a given amount of force
produces. Years

later we will learn that the ratio of force to
consequence is called

“mass.” But if we integrate the force to
produce a velocity, we can

discover empirically what the value of this ratio is
for different

objects, without calling it anything.

That is all we need to do to build up a model of the
external world.

It’s not even that; it’s just a model of the world.
The idea that

there’s also an external world that we don’t experience
takes a while

to develop. At first it’s just the only world there
is.

So that is the model that Ashby and the Modern Control
Theorists are

talking about. It’s the world we experience. When we
examine that

external plant in order to model it, we’re already
looking at the

brain’s model. It lacks detail, but as we probe and
push and peer

and twiddle and otherwise act on these rudimentary
perceptions, new

perceptions form that begin to add features and properties
– like

mass – to the model. We say we are analyzing the
plant. What we are

doing is building up perceptions of properties and
features that can

be affected by sending signals outward, learning how
to control the

perceptions. Why we have to act one way instead of
another to get a

particular effect is unknown, but we learn the rules.
When we don’t

get the effect we want, we alter what we are doing
until we do get it.

We never do actually, knowingly, interact with the
plant itself.

It seems very risky to be operating entirely on an
internal model

without any ability to know what is really going on
that we can’t

see, but really, it’s not. Before you step into the
bathtub you feel

the water, so if you’ve made a mistake you’re not
going to scald your

whole body. We detect errors very quickly and make
adjustments almost

as quickly to limit the errors, and eventually to keep
them from ever

getting very large. We’re always interacting with
whatever is Out

There, and we learn fast. Most of us. most of the
time, don’t even

think about the invisible universe Out There. The
visible one is

sufficient to keep us busy and interested. The idea
that there’s

another bigger one that actually determines what the
rules are

doesn’t usually arise.

I’m beginning to get an idea now about how to model
perceptions, at

least at the lower levels. All we have to do is make a
model of the

environment, just like that analog-computing trick for
calculating

rates of change by using integrators, which turns out
to embody

Newton’s laws of
motion. This whole idea is still very new and I

don’t see very far along the path ahead, but I have a
feeling that

what looked very difficult before may start getting a
little less difficult.

I’d better get to bed; it’s very strange to look
around at this room

and think "This is my model. I, or something in
me, constructed every

detail in it, all the things I recognize and know
about it and can do

to it. Help, is this solipsism?"

But no, it’s not. Solipsism says there really isn’t
anything else. We

can freely assume that there is a huge lawful universe
full of

regularities, as long as we realize that all we will
ever experience

of it is the model that we build in our brains. When
it does what we

call raining we get what we call wet, but we can only
assume that

those experiences occurring in our models correspond
in some

unknowable way to whatever else there is.

I hope all of this doesn’t evaporate overnight.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2010.12.23.1525)]

Bill Powers (2010.12.22.2300 MDT)]

Something is coming together that is making sense of some ideas I have
resisted for a long time. It has to do with the brain's models of the
external world. ...

But those ideas may nevertheless be right...

Briefly, then: what I call the hierarchy of perceptions is the model...

Calling it a "model" doesn't seem like much of a change.

I considered using that method to implement a new model for the TrackAnalyze
program and for some reason didn't like the idea of doing it that way. Then
the reason dawned on me: I was actually proposing to put a model of the
physical environment into my PCT model, and I'm not supposed to be in favor
of doing that.

I don't see how this proposal involves putting a physical model of the
environment into the PCT model. I think a diagram would help me see
that better. I just can't seem to get it from your verbal description
(perhaps because I'm too lazy to try and get it).

So: I was thinking of sticking a model into my model, between the output and
the input, as a convenient way of getting a signal that would represent
velocity.

Again, a diagram would help.

So the picture I got was that the brain supposedly had the ability to
examine the plant and measure its properties, and then constructed a
computed model inside itself based on the data thus obtained....

That is where I had always stopped before, just prior to discarding the
model-based control idea once again. But for some reason, this time I kept
going.

We can sense output force because the tendons have sensors that report how
hard the muscles are pulling, and we have pressure sensors all over that
detect how hard a hand or foot is pressing against something else...
But if we integrate the force to produce a velocity, we can discover
empirically what the value of this ratio is for different objects, without
calling it anything.

A diagram, please. If you're proposing a model based addition to the
tracking model (to account for that remaining 1% of variance?) I'd
like to see how it works.

That is all we need to do to build up a model of the external world.

A diagram would help me get my arms around what "that" is.

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com