Just Don't Get iT

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.07.2042)

Rick, you are not a bad guy. But you just don’t get it. That is, you don’t have a clue.

Mathematical logic DOES NOT provide the basis for the factual content of any model.

As I tried to show you in my previous post the PCT model is wonderfully consistent. What is lacks is DATA.

All you have after 35 years is the data from one little 'ol tracking task, and you have generalized from this to all of human behavior.

The problem here Rick is that people have known since 1914 that our MOTOR CONTROL system was a feedback system. So today, your tracking task is MEANINGLESS, because EVERY person associated with robotics and muscular physiology KNOWS that a motor control system is present and active. They just have a different explanation for WHY it all happens.

PCT presents nothing new to these people BECAUSE you have NO, Let me repeat this very slowly NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO data to support your claim that any levels exist, and that PCT as DESCRIBED IN B:CP actually exists in the real world.

If I were you and Bill I wouldn’t want to look at a current Physiology book either because it is filled with control systems. Just none that look, feel, or smell like PCT.

So what you have here, and will continue to have here, which is why you need to be a true believer, is a religion, or a belief system. You DO NOT have a science.

Rick, PCT IS your religion just as surely as Ken K. is a Christian, and you probably both have an equal amount of faith in each. You and Ken are a great deal more alike then you could ever imagine.

[From Brian D’Agostino (2005.02.08.0357 EST)]

I find what Marc has to say below worth thinking about, and something that could benefit CSG if taken to heart. (It also avoids an ad hominem tone, unlike some previous communications, and thus invites reflection for those who have the ears to hear it.) Unfortunately, I have concluded from experience that the leaders of CSG are not interested in this kind of discussion and reflection, and indeed actively discourage it by making cutting remarks whenever anyone initiates it, so the problem of the intellectual parochialism of CSG is likely to continue ad infinitum.

Notwithstanding this, there may yet be a core of scientific validity to PCT, however overgeneralized it may be in B:CP. The problem is that we will never know how overgeneralized it may be until a community of people with a scientific attitude take the work seriously enough to test it in myriad ways. Here Marc’s indictment of CSG is right on point: the absence of a more substantial body of empirical work after 35 years does indeed indicate a discrepancy between CSG’s claims and its track record. On the other hand, it does not prove that PCT is merely a religion (however much it may function like one sociologically). All scientific paradigms in their early stages are based on speculation and mathematical consistency, and only later is empirical work done that confirms them (and also that shows in what ways they overgeneralized).

PCT surely merits more attention from mainstream academia, where most of the resources for scientific work are concentrated. Its failure to receive that attention is the result of both the intellectual inertia of the mainstream and the ineffeciveness of the CSG leadership in constructively engaging mainstream people who ever try to incorporate or build upon PCT. I once tried to do that in a Ph.D. program at Columbia University and was denounced in CSG as a heretic because my methods involved something other than dynamic modeling of control systems. (Never mind that the problem I was addressing–the psychology of militarism–is not currently accessible to dynamic modeling of control systems!). My work produced precisely the kind of data (see Self-Images of Hawks and Doves: A Control Systems Model of Militarism, Political Psychology Vol 16, No. 2, 1995) that needs to be collected if PCT is ever to get off the ground in the mainstream. The fact that it is ignored in CSG even more than in the mainstream does not bode well for the future of PCT.

I am not a masochist, so I’ve moved on to teaching high school math, where my work receives professional recognition (and union wages, which I need to repay my student loans to Columbia). I expect to apply PCT in the field of high school robotics, where I eventually hope to have new things to report on CSGnet, things that will be more aligned with CSG’s existing intellectual culture. However, the time is long overdue for the leaders of CSG to recognize the need for empirical applications of PCT in a variety of fields, and from a variety of approaches, and to recognize the value of such work when others undertake it.

···

----- Original Message -----

Dennis Morse

To: CSGNET@listserv.uiuc.edu

Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 9:05 PM

Subject: Just Don’t Get iT

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.07.2042)

Rick, you are not a bad guy. But you just don’t get it. That is, you don’t have a clue.

Mathematical logic DOES NOT provide the basis for the factual content of any model.

As I tried to show you in my previous post the PCT model is wonderfully consistent. What is lacks is DATA.

All you have after 35 years is the data from one little 'ol tracking task, and you have generalized from this to all of human behavior.

The problem here Rick is that people have known since 1914 that our MOTOR CONTROL system was a feedback system. So today, your tracking task is MEANINGLESS, because EVERY person associated with robotics and muscular physiology KNOWS that a motor control system is present and active. They just have a different explanation for WHY it all happens.

PCT presents nothing new to these people BECAUSE you have NO, Let me repeat this very slowly NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO data to support your claim that any levels exist, and that PCT as DESCRIBED IN B:CP actually exists in the real world.

If I were you and Bill I wouldn’t want to look at a current Physiology book either because it is filled with control systems. Just none that look, feel, or smell like PCT.

So what you have here, and will continue to have here, which is why you need to be a true believer, is a religion, or a belief system. You DO NOT have a science.

Rick, PCT IS your religion just as surely as Ken K. is a Christian, and you probably both have an equal amount of faith in each. You and Ken are a great deal more alike then you could ever imagine.

[Martin Taylor 2005.02.08.10.25]

[From Brian D'Agostino (2005.02.08.0357 EST)]

there may yet be a core of scientific validity to PCT, however overgeneralized it may be in B:CP. ... All scientific paradigms in their early stages are based on speculation and mathematical consistency, and only later is empirical work done that confirms them (and also that shows in what ways they overgeneralized).

The "core of scientific validity in PCT" is not based on mathematical consistency. It is based on consistency with what we have learned about Physics over the last 400 yuears. If PCT is, at its core, wrong, than so is contemporary (or at least classical) Physics.

The basis of that claim is very simple. It was developed in my editorial for the PCT special issue of International Journal of Human-Computer studies, from which I quoted the relevant portion in [Martin Taylor 2004.12.29.16.03].

Simply put, all structures are subject to influences from the world that tend to destroy the structure. There are only two ways to put off the inevitable destruction. One is to eliminate the influences by constructing an impermeable shell. The other is to counter the influences (which, in physical terms is to reduce their thermodynamic temperature). An entity that tried to use exclusively the shell to isolate itself from the universe would die an entropic death, as do all closed systems. An entity that tried to cool the entire universe around itself would also have entropic problems (and how!).

Living systems use both methods. They shell themselves against minor high degree-of-freedom influences and act to counter coordinated (low degree-of-freedom with high energy per degree of freedom) assaults. The former strategy leads to cell walls, skin or bark, and defined organismal boundaries. The latter is PCT.

One may argue about how PCT is implemented in any real organism, whether it be a bacterium, a tree, a jellyfish, or a human (not all of which, I would guess, are conscious as we would understand consciousness). But I don't see how one can argue against the "scientific core" of PCT without finding a way to totally rethink classical phsyics.

The problems you bring up about the military use of PCT, or about the propagation of "the faith" of PCT are akin to the problems of doing a first-principles analysis of protein folding based on the quantum properties of the constituents of the DNA. We need not just the fact of PCT (or the "standard model" of quantum physics), but we need understanding of how stable structures are built on a PCT base.

HPCT is an effort in this direction, akin to the prediction of inorganic molecular structures from quantum physics, which is now somewhat feasible with current supercomputers. Above that is the "chemistry", "biochemistry" and so forth, for which we know some patterns, but which become much better understood when their critical aspects are related back to the basic quantum effects.

In the military area, since that interests you, "loose PCT" seems to be gaining some ground. Independently of formal PCT, the conventional OODA loop seems likely to be replaced by a "CECA loop" (I forget the acronym, but it's based on the classical PCT control loop in a multi-factor implementation). There are other examples. One is the "VisTG Reference model" (see <http://www.vistg.net>), which is directly inspired by PCT, but is not a formal PCT structure because the issues it deals with are at the "chemical" rather than the "quantal" level of complexity.

Anyway, I think matters are not as bleak as you suggest. Rebuilding chemistry on a physical basis has hardly started, though the thermodynamic constraints on molecular interactions are much used. The problems of PCT are, I think, sociological (as you suggest). Quantum modellers don't discard the chemical knowledge developed by alchemists and their successors, even though they "know" that quantum modelling would give more precise answers if it were possibole to apply it.

There is, in contrast, a tendency for PCT modellers to discard, as irrelevant or unscientific, psychological phenomena that are well attested. If and when PCT modelling reaches the stage, both intellectually and financially, of being able to do the modelling, it may well be able to determine the boundaries of circumstances when those well-attested behaviours do and do not occur.

That they do occur, though perhaps not reliably, is fact. That they are denied is a problem for those who would like to see PCT better understood and more widely applied. Babies do get thrown out with the bathwater, and mothers don't like that.

Martin

[From Rick Marken (2005.02.08.0930)]

Martin Taylor (2005.02.08.10.25) --

Brian D'Agostino (2005.02.08.0357 EST)

there may yet be a core of scientific validity to PCT, however
overgeneralized it may be in B:CP. ... All scientific paradigms in
their early stages are based on speculation and mathematical
consistency, and only later is empirical work done that confirms
them (and also that shows in what ways they overgeneralized).

The "core of scientific validity in PCT" is not based on mathematical
consistency. It is based on consistency with what we have learned
about Physics over the last 400 yuears. If PCT is, at its core,
wrong, than so is contemporary (or at least classical) Physics.

I completely disagree, of course. While the PCT model certainly is
consistent with models of the physical world, that is not the basis of its
scientific validity (as I understand that term).

The scientific validity of PCT is based on empirical tests of the model.
Many such tests have been done (a good start is Powers' 1978 _Psychological
Review_ paper; many more such tests are described in my _Mind Readings_ and
_More Mind Readings_ collections) and many more will be done. But the
accumulation of empirical evidence will be slow (in the near future, anyway)
since PCT has had the unfortunate fate of attracting far more people who are
willing to complain about the absence of empirical tests of PCT (or make
excuses for not doing them) than are willing to do them.

···

--
Richard S. Marken
MindReadings.com
Home: 310 474 0313
Cell: 310 729 1400

--------------------

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies
of the original message.

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.08.0555)]

Hey Brian, a very welcome to the fray. can we possibly get some productive communication going on here? A great post, and one I think right on target

In a message dated 2/8/2005 4:00:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, bdagostino@VERIZON.NET writes:

I find what Marc has to say below worth thinking about, and something that could benefit CSG if taken to heart. (It also avoids an ad hominem tone, unlike some previous communications, and thus invites reflection for those who have the ears to hear it.)

Brian, I believe that we all use fallacious arguments as a defensive mechanism. The problem is not using them. The problem is in letting them determine the outcome of a discussion. If we all become aware of what they (i.e. fallacious arguments) are and we are sensitive enough, I believe we could stop this stuff in it’s tracks if we wanted to.

Each of us has a strong belief system that is controlled. So we all know how absolutely brutal a control system can be in maintaining stability.

Our belief systems are the foundation of our emotional stability and as such are control systems with extremely high gain.

We can’t change that, and some of us are more ‘sensitive’ then others, but if we are aware of it we can try and react to it, rather than letting it rule and guide us.

Unfortunately, I have concluded from experience that the leaders of CSG are not interested in this kind of discussion and reflection, and indeed actively discourage it by making cutting remarks whenever anyone initiates it, so the problem of the intellectual parochialism of CSG is likely to continue ad infinitum.

I have been as guilty as anyone with regard to the use of Ad hominem attacks, and I said so yesterday. But I’m learning, or at least attempting too , and I noted with a bit of tongue firmly in cheek some otther posters on CSGnet who I attributed the use of certain fallacies to.

I believe the notion, use, and techniques of argumentation in a forum devoted to scientific inquiry is imperative. The real question I believe is whether CSGnet is a forum for real scientific inquiry or belief sermonizing.

I truly believe bill Powers did a magnificient job 50 years ago in developing and thinking about PCT. But folks have been thinking about human behvior since people were capable of thinking. I think it a huge mistake to discount and trash the work of others simply because it doesn’t fit a specific blueprint. As I said yesterday, I believe panning for gold (i.e gleaming bits of useful control data for conventional wisdom and research) is an arduous and back breaking task, but the rewards can be huge. It is not for the faint of heart. But I believe it can and needs to be done.

PCT must, in my opinion, be woven into the fabric of existing thought. There is no other way for it to exist in any person.

Each of us on CSGnet have their very own version of PCT. Even Powers and Marken. It could not be any other way. This diversity is not a bad thing and the sooner we all realize this and move on the better off we will be.

Notwithstanding this, there may yet be a core of scientific validity to PCT, however overgeneralized it may be in B:CP.

You bet your sweet bippy. :slight_smile: I certainly think so.

The problem is that we will never know how overgeneralized it may be until a community of people with a scientific attitude take the work seriously enough to test it in myriad ways.

HALLELUJAH!!! THIS should be the mantra of CSGnet.

Don’t you folks want to talk about this stuff to others? Don’t you think it important enough for others to consider and think about?

Great, then how do you propose to do this?

I don’t think telling folks that they need to become EE’s before they can ‘master’ this stuff is a deal maker.

Dag Forssell’s notion that PCT can only be ‘sold’ to engineers has some validity. the only problem is that 'engineer’s are only peripherally interested in human behavior, and they are more interested in the implications of control then they might be in the actual mechanisms involved in the development of it. Unless of course they are human factors engineers like Rick Marken ascribes himself to being.

Here Marc’s indictment of CSG is right on point: the absence of a more substantial body of empirical work after 35 years does indeed indicate a discrepancy between CSG’s claims and its track record. On the other hand, it does not prove that PCT is merely a religion (however much it may function like one sociologically).

Not to be picky, (but I will be anyway :-)) but I said a ‘belief’ system that I likened to that of a religious belief :slight_smile:

All scientific paradigms in their early stages are based on speculation and mathematical consistency, and only later is empirical work done that confirms them (and also that shows in what ways they overgeneralized).

I am going to address this myth in my next post.

I once tried to do that in a Ph.D. program at Columbia University and was denounced in CSG as a heretic because my methods involved something other than dynamic modeling of control systems.
Yes, this is a major problem that I will address in my next post as well, and I think central to PCT and science in general.

(Never mind that the problem I was addressing–the psychology of militarism–is not currently accessible to dynamic modeling of control systems!). My work produced precisely the kind of data (see Self-Images of Hawks and Doves: A Control Systems Model of Militarism, Political Psychology Vol 16, No. 2, 1995) that needs to be collected if PCT is ever to get off the ground in the mainstream. The fact that it is ignored in CSG even more than in the mainstream does not bode well for the future of PCT.
You are in luck my friend, and so am I. CSGnet may not want your work but I sure as hell do, and so do my list mates on Cognitive Control Systems

I am not a masochist, so I’ve moved on to teaching high school math, where my work receives professional recognition (and union wages, which I need to repay my student loans to Columbia). I expect to apply PCT in the field of high school robotics, where I eventually hope to have new things to report on CSGnet, things that will be more aligned with CSG’s existing intellectual culture. However, the time is long overdue for the leaders of CSG to recognize the need for empirical applications of PCT in a variety of fields, and from a variety of approaches, and to recognize the value of such work when others undertake it.

Brian, don’t be despondent, help is on the way, and I believe your work in PCT will not be in vain. I will be in touch.

Marc

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.08.1503)]

In a message dated 2/8/2005 11:04:03 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mmt-csg@ROGERS.COM writes:

[Martin Taylor 2005.02.08.10.25]

overgeneralized it may be in B:CP. … All scientific paradigms in

The “core of scientific validity in PCT” is not based on mathematical
And what pray tell is Physics based on? Linguistics???

The basis of that claim is very simple. It was developed in my
editorial for the PCT special issue of International Journal of
Human-Computer studies, from which I quoted the relevant portion in
[Martin Taylor 2004.12.29.16.03].
And what is your ‘editorial’ based on?

Simply put, all structures are subject to influences from the world
that tend to destroy the structure. There are only two ways to put
off the inevitable destruction. One is to eliminate the influences by
constructing an impermeable shell. The other is to counter the
influences (which, in physical terms is to reduce their thermodynamic
temperature). An entity that tried to use exclusively the shell to
isolate itself from the universe would die an entropic death, as do
all closed systems. An entity that tried to cool the entire universe
around itself would also have entropic problems (and how!).
What evidence do you have to support this claim?

Living systems use both methods. They shell themselves against minor
high degree-of-freedom influences and act to counter coordinated (low
degree-of-freedom with high energy per degree of freedom) assaults.
The former strategy leads to cell walls, skin or bark, and defined
organismal boundaries. The latter is PCT.
What evidence do you have to support this claim?

One may argue about how PCT is implemented in any real organism,
whether it be a bacterium, a tree, a jellyfish, or a human (not all
of which, I would guess, are conscious as we would understand
consciousness). But I don’t see how one can argue against the
“scientific core” of PCT without finding a way to totally rethink
classical phsyics.
What “scientific core” are you speaking of? You have presented nothing more than anecdotal stories. Nice in a coffee house or around a fire but less suitable for argumentation.

There are at least two major fallacies in your argument;

1. ‘Begging the Question’: An argument in which the conclusion is assumed in the reasoning.

2. ‘Appeal to Questionable Authority’: Supporting a conclusion by citing an authority who lacks special expertise on the issue at hand.

Who designated you as an expert on “scientific validity”? Do you mean to tell me that YOU represent the litmus test for PCT?

How chivalrous of you.

Martin, I’m not suggesting you arepeanuts, but to cite your own work as ‘proof’ of a belief you have is a pretty good trick if you can pull it off.

but we need
understanding of how stable structures are built on a PCT base.

In plain English we call this DATA.

HPCT is an effort in this direction, akin to the prediction of
inorganic molecular structures from quantum physics, which is now
somewhat feasible with current supercomputers.

Hmmm!!! HPCT is akin to the ‘prediction of inorganic molecular structures’.

Can you cite me on this one. This I am interested in.

Above that is the
“chemistry”, “biochemistry” and so forth, for which we know some
patterns, but which become much better understood when their critical
aspects are related back to the basic quantum effects.

And what might those ‘quantum effects’ be?

There is, in contrast, a tendency for PCT modellers to discard, as
irrelevant or unscientific, psychological phenomena that are well
attested. If and when PCT modelling reaches the stage, both
intellectually and financially, of being able to do the modelling, it
may well be able to determine the boundaries of circumstances when
those well-attested behaviours do and do not occur.

This unfortunately will NEVER occur here under the current CSGnet leadership because the type of thinking required to gather the data required of model building is not tolerated, appreciated or encouraged on this site.

THE SOLE PURPOSE OF CSGNET IS TO FEED THE EGO OF ONE MAN AND HIS DREAM. THIS IS NOT A PLACE OF DISCOVERY NOR SCIENCE. IT’S EXISTENCE IS PREDICATED ON THE CONCEPT OF PROVING THE IDEAS OF ONE EGO MANIAC.

That they do occur, though perhaps not reliably, is fact. That they
are denied is a problem for those who would like to see PCT better
understood and more widely applied. Babies do get thrown out with the
bathwater, and mothers don’t like that.

What a wonderful rationalization. One that I would fully expect and anticipate on CSGnet.

Marc

From [Marc Abrams (92004.02.08.1608)]

In a message dated 2/8/2005 12:28:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, marken@MINDREADINGS.COM writes:

Martin Taylor (2005.02.08.10.25) –

Brian D’Agostino (2005.02.08.0357 EST)

overgeneralized it may be in B:CP. … All scientific paradigms in

The “core of scientific validity in PCT” is not based on mathematical

Yep, Martin 'ol boy you struck out this time. Better luck next time. Maybe it was the cite?

I believe Rick thinks its a model of the ‘physical world’. The real question of course is a model of WHAT in the real world? We have no data to back up any of his claims for the spreadsheet, and until we do it’s all just a very nice piece of theoretical construction.

As far as his ‘Outfielder’ model goes, there are competing models out there, and NONE have been shown to be superior to each other. Maybe I’m wrong here, and have not kept current and Rick can point me to the literature that shows his model as the one physiologists have accepted as the de facto ‘working’ model for a human motor control system and how PCT differentiates itself from the others out there.

Many such tests have been done (a good start is Powers’ 1978 Psychological
Review
paper; many more such tests are described in my Mind Readings and
More Mind Readings collections) and many more will be done.
These were not 'TESTS". These were computer sims that reflected the certain properties of numbers and you very vivid imagination, not the uncertain properties of human behavior.

But the
You have a very strange definition of ‘empirical tests’. You actually think ‘empirical’ computer simulations IS human behavior. The last I looked, a computer was not human. So although in fact it may be ‘empirical’, it ain’t about humans. It’s about computers and computer programs.

You can’t possibly have people collecting data for models when you don’t even know what kinds of questions you need to ask in order to gather it.

That kind of discussion is hearsay on CSGnet, because the questions might vary from the ego maniac’s model and that simply cannot be tolerated here.

Don Quixote had a better chance of completing his mission then you do.

BTW, Ken K. just to ease you troubled little mind, I won’t be disturbing you anymore.

Cheers everyone,

Marc

[Martin Taylor 2005.02.08.17.19]

Martin Taylor (2005.02.08.10.25) --

Brian D'Agostino (2005.02.08.0357 EST)

overgeneralized it may be in B:CP. ... All scientific paradigms in

The "core of scientific validity in PCT" is not based on mathematical

_More Mind Readings_ collections) and many more will be done. But the

It's funny. You completely disagree with me, but I agree with you (except I don't endorse the "of course").

I think that the difference is probably between the notion of "core", "basis", and "validity". In lots of specific areas, PCT provides accurate descriptions of experimental data. That's the "empirical validity" side, and it's a very different matter from the "scientific core".. My point was that there's a fundamental and intrinsic link between PCT as the basis of all life and the wider world of science as embodied in classical physics.

Also as a matter of wording, PCT is not merely "consistent with models of the physical world". That's much too soft. Any theory that isn't to be laughed out of court has either to be consistent with models of the physical world or to require and suggest changes to our understanding of physics. PCT is, I repeat, _required_ by two things: the laws of classical physics, and the observed existence of living things.

Even had it happened that the specific experimental tests had shown specific modelling implementations of PCT to fail, it would nevertheless be true that PCT is _required_ by our understanding of classical physics. That is its _scientific core_. You don't need to add ANY extra assumptions to physics in order to show that living things must be perceptual control systems. All the rest is parameterization.

Martin

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.08.1731)

This is getting real embarrassing.

In a message dated 2/8/2005 5:20:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mmt-csg@ROGERS.COM writes:

[Martin Taylor 2005.02.08.17.19]

Martin Taylor (2005.02.08.10.25) –
It’s funny. You completely disagree with me, but I agree with you
(except I don’t endorse the “of course”).

I think that the difference is probably between the notion of “core”,
“basis”, and “validity”. In lots of specific areas, PCT provides
accurate descriptions of experimental data. That’s the “empirical
validity” side, and it’s a very different matter from the “scientific
core”… My point was that there’s a fundamental and intrinsic link
between PCT as the basis of all life and the wider world of science
as embodied in classical physics.

Not PCT Martin, CONTROL. Please don’t confuse the difference. Until we can validate the assumptions made by Bill with empirical data from individuals, we are all much better off thinking of this stuff as perceptual input control.

It seems that how all this stuff actually happens is very important to Bill and that is extremely unfortunate because he put all his eggs in one basket without understanding exactly what kind of eggs they were. he thinks he hhas chicken eggs and is in a perfect position to make a fine omelet.

I’m not so sure that there may not be a few croc eggs mixed into the bunch as well and I would hope the chicken eggs hatch first.

Also as a matter of wording, PCT is not merely “consistent with
models of the physical world”. That’s much too soft. Any theory that
isn’t to be laughed out of court has either to be consistent with
models of the physical world or to require and suggest changes to our
understanding of physics. PCT is, I repeat, required by two things:
the laws of classical physics, and the observed existence of living
things.

Yes Martin, but you talk of only HALF of the necessary equation of ‘consistency’. The other half has to do with the very small detail of ‘VALID EMPIRICAL ACCURACY of DATA’. That is, FACTS, and whether you call it ‘PCT’, or ‘HPCT’, or ‘Classical PCT’, or whatever other name or label you desire. _UNTIL, you start citing some other folks besides yourself, Bill Powers and Rick Marken, you will be, as you put it, ‘laughed out of any court of law’.

Even had it happened that the specific experimental tests had shown
specific modelling implementations of PCT to fail, it would
nevertheless be true that PCT is required by our understanding of
classical physics. That is its scientific core. You don’t need to
add ANY extra assumptions to physics in order to show that living
things must be perceptual control systems. All the rest is
parameterization.

If you replace ‘PCT’ with ‘Some Model of Control’, you would be a lot more believable to a great many more people

[From Rick Marken (2005.02.08.1400)]

Marc Abrams (92004.02.08.1608)

Rick Marken (2005.02.08.0930)--

_More Mind Readings_ collections) and many more will be done.

These were not 'TESTS". These were computer sims that reflected the _certain_
properties of numbers and you _very_ vivid imagination, not the uncertain
properties of human behavior.

Have you read these papers? Apparently not because nearly all of them (one
of the only exceptions being the spreadsheet model paper, which was written
as a pedagogical piece) describe experiments testing the behavior of the
model against real human behavior.

Marc Abrams (2005.02.08.1731)

This is getting _real_ embarrassing.

Then why keep doing it?

···

--
Richard S. Marken
MindReadings.com

--------------------

of the original message.

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.08.1918)]

In a message dated 2/8/2005 7:00:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, marken@MINDREADINGS.COM writes:

[From Rick Marken (2005.02.08.1400)]

Have you read these papers? Apparently not because nearly all of them (one
of the only exceptions being the spreadsheet model paper, which was written
as a pedagogical piece) describe experiments testing the behavior of the
model against real human behavior.
As a matter of fact I did read them, and they ‘tested’ what you have been testing for 35 years. Your ‘behavior’ is limited to a coordination task that has been well known and written about for over a hundred years. That is one reason you can’t get PCT stuff published.

The notion of control is well regarded and understood by a great many people. Your models have NOT provided sufficient evidence to suggest PCT should be considered instead of some other claim that uses negative feedback as the basis for a model, and if you think PCT is the only behavioral model with feedback you really should acquaint yourself with George Richardson’s book, Feedback Thought in Social Systems .

What DATA do you have that will tell me that PCT is superior to ANY OTHER theory presented in that book.

You have NO new data to provide. It’s all regurgitated info. Even your outfielder model is the same old tired piece of work. Yawn, Yawn.

Your models provide no new insights into how anything actually works. Your models simply confirm the work of Graham Brown, and others from the turn of the 20th century.

Bill got published in Science because he had a great idea. He will NEVER get published there again if he does not come up with DATA to support whatever model he ultimately decides to adopt, and Sims are NOT ‘empirical’ data.

You really think the louder you shout the more people will believe you and that is just not going to work.

This is getting real embarrassing.

Then why keep doing it?
It’s not embarrassing to me big boy. What is embarrassing is sending post after post in response to posts on CSGnet and ccing to a bunch of people off CSGnet as well that have been ‘observing’, and the best you have been able to do is to come up with this. You have not been able to answer ONE of my criticisms with a legitimate counter-claim.

What is embarrassing is telling people that there might be some light at the end of the tunnel, so hang with me and see if it fly’s. They have seen quite an exhibition of what CSGnet is all about in just 2 days.

So lets hear your response to this one. We are all waiting with baited breath.

Marc

[From Rick Marken (2005.02.09.1020)]

Marc Abrams (2005.02.08.1918) --

Your 'behavior' is limited to a coordination task that has been well
known and written about for over a hundred years. That is one reason
you can't get PCT stuff published.

Who said we can't get PCT stuff published? I've published PCT based papers
in many respected journals including Behavioral Neuroscience, Psychological
Methods, Ergonomics, American Journal of Psychology and Journal of
Experimental Psychology (JEP). I have another article coming out in the June
issue of JEP: Human Perception & Performance.

Your models have _NOT_ provided sufficient evidence to suggest PCT should be
considered instead of some other claim that uses negative feedback as the
basis for a model

Good. They are not intended to do that. They are intended to show that
negative feedback must be part of any model of the behavior of living
systems.

You really think the louder you shout the more people will believe you and
that is just not going to work.

Are you sure that that is me you hear shouting?

You have not been able to answer _ONE_ of my criticisms with a legitimate
counter-claim.

So I guess you win. Congratulations.

···

--
Richard S. Marken
MindReadings.com

--------------------

of the original message.

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.09.1522)

In a message dated 2/9/2005 1:38:56 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, marken@MINDREADINGS.COM writes:

[From Rick Marken (2005.02.09.1020)]

Marc Abrams (2005.02.08.1918) –

Your ‘behavior’ is limited to a coordination task that has been well
known and written about for over a hundred years. That is one reason
you can’t get PCT stuff published.

Who said we can’t get PCT stuff published? I’ve published PCT based papers
in many respected journals including Behavioral Neuroscience, Psychological
Methods, Ergonomics, American Journal of Psychology and Journal of
Experimental Psychology (JEP). I have another article coming out in the June
issue of JEP: Human Perception & Performance.
Very impressive.

Your models have NOT provided sufficient evidence to suggest PCT should be
considered instead of some other claim that uses negative feedback as the
basis for a model

Good. They are not intended to do that. They are intended to show that
negative feedback must be part of any model of the behavior of living
systems.
System Dynamics has been doing it longer, better, and with more impact. Get a life.

When Bill Powers met with Jay Forrester, Bill could not convince any one at the meeting that there was ANY difference between his model and an SD model. I subsequently asked Bob Eberlein why he thought there was no difference and he said because there was none. The ONLY difference was in the DETAILS, which reside in Bills HEAD, NOT in the model. Like his ‘levels’.

SD has had, and continues to have, multi-level behavioral model.

I asked you once, and I’ll ask you again, but I sure as hell will never get an answer BECAUSE YOU CAN’T GIVE ME ONE.

Please tell me what DATA you have to support the notion that will show me or anyone interested, the superiority of the PCT behavioral model to any other shown in George Richardson’s book?

You really think the louder you shout the more people will believe you and
that is just not going to work.

Are you sure that that is me you hear shouting?

No, just repeating the same old tired retreaded arguments.

You have not been able to answer ONE of my criticisms with a legitimate
counter-claim.

So I guess you win. Congratulations.

NO my friend, WE both lose.

Marc

[From Rick Marken (2005.02.09.1700)]

Marc Abrams (2005.02.09.1522)

Please tell me what _DATA_ you have to support the notion that will show me or
anyone interested, the superiority of the PCT behavioral model to any other
shown in George Richardson's book?

This question assumes that we're trying to prove that PCT is superior to
some other feedback control model (the kind of model described in
Richardson's book). We're not. PCT is simply the application of control
theory to understanding human behavior. What PCT (and my research, I hope)
contributes to our understanding of behavior that other applications of
control theory don't is the notion that the behavior of a control system is
organized around the control of its perceptual inputs. My research is aimed
at demonstrating and testing what I think are some fundamentally important
implications of this notion regarding the behavior of living systems. Two of
these implications are the following:

1. Observed S-R relationships are disturbance-output relationships, the
nature of which depend on the nature of the environment, not the nature of
the control system (this is the "Behavioral Illusion" and it shows that the
IV-DV approach to behavioral research cannot be used to determine the
functional characteristics of the system under study).

2. In order to understand the observed behavior of a control system it is
necessary to determine the variable(s) the system is controlling (that is,
some version of the test for the controlled variable must be the basis of
the study of living control systems).

In other words, if living systems are organized as control systems, then the
foundations of behavioral science must be revised. What PCT shows is that we
need are new goals for research (such as the discovery of controlled
variables) and new methods for achieving those goals (like the test for
controlled variables).

PCT, as a control model, is the same as all the control models described in
Richardson's book (which I enjoyed reading). All these models involve the
same closed loop of causal relationships. PCT differs from these models,
however, in how it is mapped to behavior and in the very important fact
derived from that mapping: that behavior is the control of perception. The
basic point of PCT, I think, is that this fact -- behavior is the control of
perception -- must be a _starting point_ for all investigations of the
behavior of living systems. Starting from any other point will put you on a
false path. Thus, to the extent that other applications of control theory to
behavior have _not_ taken behavior as the control of perception as their
starting point, they are headed in the wrong direction.

···

--
Richard S. Marken
MindReadings.com

--------------------

of the original message.

Re: Just Don’t Get iT
[Martin Taylor
2005.02.09.17.44]

Once you get past the turbulent stream of
sneers and insults, Marc Abrams does have something to
say.

I know, I know, it’s awfully hard to find
the nuggets in the torrent, and one is sorely tempted to simply ignore
his postings. I do read them, but I’ve learned from bitter experience
not to try to respond: “he only does it to annoy/ because he
knows it teases.” (Lewis Carroll).

That said, I found in the recent froth
three things worth following up despite everything I’ve learned from
past history. One is the perennial issue of getting people to
understand and invest intellectual capital in PCT. The second is why
it’s called “Perceptual Control Theory” and not
“Control Theory”, and the third is why CSG isn’t addressing
the same concerns as the System Dynamics community.

1. Marc brought up the question of the
    propagation of PCT recently, though not in a style calculated to
    influence anyone’s behaviour.

Coincidentally a close analogy showed up in
my mailbox today. It’s an essay by a senior general in the Canadian
military, dealing with why senior decision makers (military or
otherwise) don’t properly take advantage of the scientific advice that
is instituionally available to them. He makes many of the same points
as have been made over the years in discussions of why PCT isn’t more
widely accepted as a basis for research (S&T = Science and
Technology):

···
  1. As one
    who has dealt with the requirement of decision making at all stages of
    the process, the author’s perspective is perhaps a useful point of
    departure. In this regard, it is suggested that the basic problem with
    ensuring S&T input to decision making is a result of the following
    factors:

a. Understanding: Decision-makers often have difficulty
understanding the S&T advice they receive. In part, this is due to
a lack of scientific background and education or in part due to lack
of currency in the disciplines. That scientific understanding which
decision-makers do posses tends to be dated, by virtue of their age
and educational foundations and distorted by the exposure to public
myths or inaccuracies. Understanding is also affected by the
presentation of that advice by the scientific community. Science and
technology issues are, by their nature, complex, but the presentation
of advice on S&T matters too often fails to present the facts and
recommendations in a form comprehensible to a generalist. This is
often exacerbated by the dependence on language that is too
complex.
b. Applicability/Relevance: At times, S&T advice is seen by
decision-makers as not being applicable or relevant to their business
or problems. This is, in part, due to the issue of understanding as
previously outlined, but is principally a failure to tailor that
advice to the particular issue. Such lack of focussing is often a
result of incomplete understanding, on the part of the scientist, of
the decision makers problem or of a presumption of the level of the
decision makers scientific knowledge.
c. Credibility: On occasion, S&T advice is not seen as
credible by decision-makers. Again the issues of understanding and
relevance contribute to this view, but it is usually a long-term
problem relating to how the S&T community and even individual
scientists are perceived, over time. A good track record for advice
increases credibility, while a bad track record erodes it and
non-objective or partisan advice can destroy it completely. There is
also a matter of presentation, which can increase or erode confidence
in the advice being given.
d. Timeliness: Scientific advice is often “late-to-need”
for decision-makers. If the response to a question, requiring a
reasonably prompt reply, is that additional research, taking months or
years, is required to respond, the advice is of little value. Such
mismatches of expectations are due, in large part, to the failure of
decision-makers to forecast their requirements. But they also often
demonstrate an inability of the S&T community to foresee those
needs. Institutionally, this lack of timeliness can also be caused by
a misalignment of decision making processes, where, even though the
decision makers want the information, the corporate collectivity does
not demand it, so it never gets to those who need it.

e. Cultural Bias: Finally, there can be a cultural bias amongst
decision-makers against S&T advice. The issue is very much one of
expectation born of experience. Decision-makers may readily accept,
even eagerly seek, S&T advice in certain parts of the business,
(i.e.: R&D for weapon systems) because they see a clear role, for
S&T. However, in other areas, of a more general or strategic
nature, decision-makers often fail to see the significance or role of
S&T advice. At the strategic level, for example, one might
encounter the view that “I am the professional military officer and
I am best equipped to forecast what kind of force we need for the
future, I don’t need any scientists to tell me”. Or one may also
encounter more selective bias, which only favours the advice when it
supports a pre-determined position.

I might point out, however, that despite
the General’s concerns, PCT-based concepts are actually being
infiltrated into the Canadian military, in areas such as air accident
investigation, aircrew design, command doctrine, and so forth. So I’d
make note of his “at times” caveats.

1. The P in PCT.

The essence of the thermodynamic
requirement for PCT is that there be a low-energy input through the
“shell” that separates outside from inside, that in some way
permits a mapping of some internal state onto the state of some
external potential high-energy influence on the living organism. If
the internal representation depended on energy levels similar to the
potentially damaging influence, they would themselves be damaging to
the organism. Hence we get the necessary structure: a low-energy
“sensor” (a portal through the “shell”) leading to
a low-energy internal state, which in some fashion affects actions
that can counter the potentially damaging high-energy
influence.

That “fashion” must mean that
there is some relation between the internal low-energy representation
of the external state and a separate (possibly dynamic) internal
“reference” state. The simplest such structure (that I can
think of) is the standard PCT control structure, with its low-gain
input and reference signals, and its high-gain, high-power effective
output to the external world. What is controlled is the internal
state, not the external. The internal state has been given the
technical name of “Perception” in PCT, as a natural
extension of the everyday sense of the word.

It is valuable to make sure to use the term
“Perceptual Control Theory” as opposed to the more general
“Control Theory”, because it is not always evident in
“Control Theory” that what is controlled is the input. More
commonly, control theory is discussed as if the output is what is
controlled.

1. System Dynamics and PCT.

Just as PCT is an aspect of Control Theory,
so also is it an aspect of System Dynamics. The living organism is,
after all, a dynamic system. But, as with the “P” that
identifies the particular way PCT fits into general control theory,
there is a specific aspect of PCT that identifies where it fits into
the more general System Dynamics area. That specific aspect is the
essential assymmetry between the input and the output side of the PCT
loop.

If you read, for example, the System
Dynamics mailing list, you will see lots of discussion of negative
(and positive) feedback, but almost nothing on control. The feedback
loops of interest tend to be symmetric in that the energy levels and
amplification factors are not intrinsically different in different
parts of the circuits. The feedback loops of interest to most system
dynamicists may be very complex, and they may even evolve into
self-organized structures stabilized by negative feedback, but they
are not usually structures of control in which there are distinguished
“insides” and “outsides.”

When I first started reading the System
Dynamics list, and occasionally contributing to it, one of the more
active contributors pointed me to the predecessor of CSGnet as a
mailing list that might interest me. (Not knowing of PCT, I had
published my Layered Protocols theory starting in 1984, and before
that (1973) I had used the concept of multi-level control to account
for the perception of texture by haptic touch; some of that must have
been in my contributions to the SD list.)

I don’t remember what year that was, but
over a year or so, I learned that PCT was addressing a deeper reality
than the psychology in which I was trained and which I had been
practicing. It takes time, background, and effort to understand the
basic concepts of PCT in such a way that one can use them in different
circumstances and for different purposes. But I found the effort very
worthwhile. Furthermore, by 1992 I had found that my LP Theory wasn’t
so novel – it could be derived from PCT, though not from standard
System Dynamics. That didn’t make it any the less useful, though, for
the practical purposes that led to LP Theory in the first place. It
just made the theory more solid.

PCT is indeed System Dynamics, but System
Dynamics isn’t PCT. To say that the people on the SD list do the same
thing is rather like saying that because Joe is a mathematician, he
must be an algebraic topologist. It’s just silly, though tempting to
one who knows little of maths (in the case of Joe) or of System
Dynamics (in the case of PCT).

I believe I’ve satisfied Marc that he was
correct in his latest sneer: “I challenged the claims made by a
boastful and self-centered Martin Taylor. The self-designated
litmus tester for scientific validity indeed, and the ultimate arbiter
on things PCT’ish, and if you don’t believe me, just ask him, he
probably has web page devoted to it already.”

I hope that I have satisfied others that
the science is independent of the boastful and self-centred
personality.

Martin

PS. It is interesting, isn’t it, that Marc
says the PCT religion, like others, now has three divine beings –
Bill the Father, Rick the Son, and I’ve been appointed the Holy
Ghost!"

[From Bill Powers (2005.02.10.0908 MST)]

Martin Taylor 2005.02.09.17.44–

Once you get past the turbulent
stream of sneers and insults, Marc Abrams does have something to
say.

I admire your forebearance, but it can be overdone, and can invite even
worse nonsense by putting up with it. Marc has very little to say; it’s
just that he says it in such offensive ways and repeats it so often that
it starts sounding familiar after a while. The most charitable view one
can take is that there is some serious condition underlying this
“torrent” (good word), but that doesn’t mean you have to sit
still while someone vomits on you day after day, however unavoidable this
consequence of illness is.

That said, I found in the recent
froth three things worth following up despite everything I’ve learned
from past history. One is the perennial issue of getting people to
understand and invest intellectual capital in PCT. The second is why it’s
called “Perceptual Control Theory” and not “Control
Theory”, and the third is why CSG isn’t addressing the same concerns
as the System Dynamics community.

Let me offer my own take on these topics.
1. Propagation of PCTBruce Gregory, through his studies of teaching science, gave us an
answer to the first question. People are able to learn new ideas, but
first they have to unlearn what they think they already know. Their
intellectual capital is already invested, and you have to persuade them
to cash it in and spend it on something else. Marc Abrams is, through his
commendable effort to get a belated education, reading many ideas that
have been developed without benefit of control theory, and like any
enthusiastic student exposed to ideas for the first time, he takes
everything he finds in print as true, if written with the trappings of
authority. In other words, he is learning from those whose investment
would be lost if control theory proved to be important, and he keeps
wondering, “Gee, how could Powers have missed all this wonderful
stuff?” Powers surely missed some of it, but not much. Powers simply
didn’t believe as much of it as Abrams did and does. Abrams is not yet
equipped with enough knowledge and experience to be skeptical.
**2. The P in PCT.**This is directly related to the second question: why the
“P” in “PCT”? The answer is very simple: because to
far too many people, the word “control” means a myriad of
processes that have nothing to do with negative feedback control, the
most prevalent idea being that control systems control their outputs,
their actions. The “P” is a reminder that a negative feedback
control system controls its own input by varying its output as
required in the current environment. I have run across an occasional
control engineer who, when I point out that the controlled
“output” in most conventional diagrams is really a controlled
input, and that what is really, really controlled is the sensor signal
that represents the controlled variable, has said, “Well, sure,
technically you’re right.” Of course even they go right on talking
the old way. Some old-timers on CSGnet will remember the engineer from
Israel who insisted that a thermostat controls the temperature out in the
room, not just where its sensor is located, and simply refused to see it
any other way. Old-timers will also remember my being chided for
insisting that the word control should mean one and only one thing,
negative feedback control. People have a right to use the word any way
they want, I was told. My argument that this makes nonsense of any
attempt to construct a scientific theory did not prevail. So I started
using the whole phrase, “negative feedback control system” or
“input control system” where I would have just said
“control system” if I had won the argument, until eventually
Kent McClelland (as I perhaps wrongly recall – maybe it was Gary Cziko)
suggested “Perceptual Control Theory” as a shorthand term. So
PCT it was, after that. The “P” signals that we are not talking
about planning actions or choosing appropriate responses or
computing inverse dynamics and kinematics or restraining or affecting or
influencing or causing or determining – all those other meanings
people want to give to the word control.
**3. System Dynamics and PCT.**Marc’s ignorance shows up most clearly when he talks about
“System Dynamics” as if it is something separate from the kind
of modeling that has gone on in science and engineering since they
started. Engineers and scientists deal with system dynamics (no capital
letters) by setting up differential equations and solving them, or more
commonly in practical situations by simulating them on some kind of
analog computer. I learned how to do this in 1953 and 1954 with a
Philbrick analog computer, and learned a great deal about simulating
control systems that way. I even used the analog computer as a component
in a control system for making isodose traces for a cobalt-60 radiation
therapy machine. so what I learned was practical as well as
theoretical.

My initial education in analog computing came from a book on analog
computing by Korn and Korn, which lays out methods for simulating systems
using computing blocks. Later on, the first Korn devised a program called
“Tutsim” which made a digital computer imitate the functional
blocks in an analog computer. Some CSGers will recall that I worked out
several generations of my own program for doing that, and that Wolfgang
Zocher expanded on it to produce “PCTsim,” back in the 1980s
and 1990s. Before Vensim, there was Stella, still another implementation
of the same idea on a Mac (Vensim extended this idea to PCs).

From a Google search:

“In 1956, Professor Forrester started the
System Dynamics
Group
at the Sloan School and with it, the field of system dynamics.
The five books he has written on system dynamics are available through
Pegasus Communications in
Waltham, Massachusetts.”

By that time I was already simulating control systems on an analog
computer and working on a control theory of human organization. Forrester
and I were contemporaries who, at that time, had not heard of each other.
Forrester first became well known for his analog computations about the
future of the world, based on assumptions that led to a prediction that
everything would blow up on a specific date in 2008, I believe, and which
got most economists and planners mad at him. I have to say that Forrester
certainly invented System Dynamics (the movement), but he by no means
invented system dynamics, the subject of study. Neither did he invent the
method of analog computing as a way of simulating and analyzing systems.
He simply picked up that method and used it in his own way, which
sometimes was not well-advised.

Martin, you are perfectly right in saying that System Dynamics models do
not often (if they ever do) deal with control. Those I have seen do not
contain any human controlling agents; they deal only with large systems
which interact according to very arbitrary assumptions, through
parameters that are not measured, but are guessed at. Actually some of
them must be doing it right, because Bob Eberlein’s Vensim contains
facilities for using data from the real world and matching models against
real performance by adjusting assumed parameters, the essence of the
analog computing method of system analysis. I just haven’t seen any
examples of that.

The most serious lack in SD (the movement) is the lack of a human
controller with goals and means of making perceptions match them. Bob
Eberlein sent me a test problem having to do with balancing inspection
with production to minimize the costs of dealing with returned products.
I worked up a model with several managers in it, having the
appropriate goals and means of acting to achieve them, which accomplished
the objectives very quickly. Since Bob had said he was thinking about how
to introduce agents into SD models (this was about 40 years after SD came
into existence), I thought he would be happy to see an example of how
this could be done. I never heard another word from him on the subject –
not even “good model”. Or “terrible model,” for that
matter. Nothing.

When I met with Forrester. Eberlein, and George Richardson a few years
ago (Marc Abrams set up the meeting), I showed them my tracking model.
Forrester and Eberlein couldn’t understand why I put the reference signal
inside the controller instead of saying it was the target position on the
screen, and why I didn’t say that the controlling person was sensing the
error signal. You may recall this same problem arising in the discussions
between John Flach and me. I was violating the “engineering
psychology” model that had been standard since the early 1950s.
Richardson, who has a very clear understanding of PCT, tried to explain
the reason to them, to no avail. I kept my mouth pretty much shut, not
wanting to be the outsider telling them their business. It was pretty
clear that neither Forrester nor Eberlein had any idea of how to model a
controlling agent. That would explain the lack of such agents in SD
models, of course.

So there is my somewhat more concrete set of answers to the three
questions. Not inconsistent with yours, obviously. Just differently
oriented.

Best,

Bill P.

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.10.1402)]

In a message dated 2/10/2005 1:37:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, powers_w@FRONTIER.NET writes:

[From Bill Powers (2005.02.10.0908 MST)]
** 1. Propagation of PCT** Bruce Gregory, through his studies of teaching science, gave us an answer to the first question. People are able to learn new ideas, but first they have to unlearn what they think they already know.
Unlearn? What is that, a mind wipe?

Their intellectual capital is already invested, and you have to persuade them to cash it in and spend it on something else.
You are right on target here, and you have done a woeful job of doing this and understanding what needs to be done.

Maybe your arguments are just not convincing and maybe they are just not worth knowing.

Marc Abrams is, through his commendable effort to get a belated education, reading many ideas that have been developed without benefit of control theory,
Newton developed the calculus without the benefit of control theory, I guess we should discard that as junk as well

and like any enthusiastic student exposed to ideas for the first time, he takes everything he finds in print as true, if written with the trappings of authority.
Even PCT, and that was my BIGGEST mistake.

In other words, he is learning from those whose investment would be lost if control theory proved to be important,
Really??? Weick? Argyris? Forrester? Llinas? Which of these would LOSE their credibility? And for what reasons?

You don’t know, or understand the work of these men. You speak as you usually do, from IGNORANCE, and a lack of understanding

and he keeps wondering, “Gee, how could Powers have missed all this wonderful stuff?”
Real easy. Powers never knew about it. Your 74 or so cites in B:CP is one of the WEAKEST referenced books I have looked at. I have read 3rd classs journals (Some of which Marken is familiar with) with articles that had more cites then B:CP.

Your introspection might be wonderful, but others have done some wonderful work as well, and you should try reading a book every now and again, and then pass it on to Rick. something post 1940 preferably.

Powers surely missed some of it, but not much.

What did you miss besides the autonomic nervous system in your first go around?

Powers simply didn’t believe as much of it as Abrams did and does. Abrams is not yet equipped with enough knowledge and experience to be skeptical.
How would you know what my ideas are based on? How do you know what I believe and don’t believe in? And how do you know what I am, and am not equipped with?

You don’t have a clue.

And a belated education? Hardly pal, Your mantra is getting old Billy boy. I’ve been educating myself for the past 25 years and CONTINUE to do so. What’s your excuse?

The real big difference between you and I Bill , is that I understand how ignorant I really am and try to improve on it. You revel in yours, and carry it around as some form of honor.

**2. The P in PCT.**This is directly related to the second question: why the “P” in “PCT”? The answer is very simple: because to far too many people, the word “control” means a myriad of processes that have nothing to do with negative feedback control,

NONSENSE. You really should take a look at the literature. I know you have a hard time reading, but you might want to stop making yourself look like a jackass.

**3. System Dynamics and PCT.**Marc’s ignorance ***[Ad Hominem Attack]***shows up most clearly when he talks about “System Dynamics” as if it is something separate from the kind of modeling that has gone on in science and engineering

NO Bill, My point which you simply refuse to acknowledge is that a negative feedback loop IS a PCT loop.

since they started. Engineers and scientists deal with system dynamics (no capital letters) by setting up differential equations and solving them, or more commonly in practical situations by simulating them on some kind of analog computer. I learned how to do this in 1953 and 1954 with a Philbrick analog computer, and learned a great deal about simulating control systems that way. I even used the analog computer as a component in a control system for making isodose traces for a cobalt-60 radiation therapy machine. so what I learned was practical as well as theoretical.

What does ANY of this have to do with my point about PCT and SD?

Martin, you are perfectly right in saying that System Dynamics models do not often (if they ever do) deal with control. Those I have seen do not contain any human controlling agents;

A false claim. In fact any legit SD model is made FROM time series data and the reason is simple.

The entire purpose of an accurate SD model is to mimic the time series data.

The model behavior is compared to the existing empirical data to confirm the validity of the model. Adjustments are made to the model until the model produces the expected time series data.

PCT should be so lucky with something other then a tracking task.

they deal only with large systems which interact according to very arbitrary assumptions, through parameters that are not measured, but are guessed at.

Another false claim. SD models contain a variety of types of data

Actually some of them must be doing it right, because Bob Eberlein’s Vensim contains facilities for using data from the real world and matching models against real performance by adjusting assumed parameters, the essence of the analog computing method of system analysis. I just haven’t seen any examples of that.

Hey, maybe you should first understand how they build their models. At least the legitimate ones.

Maybe you should come out of the 1950’s and into the year 2005, if it isn’t to uncomfortable for you.

The most serious lack in SD (the movement) is the lack of a human controller with goals and means of making perceptions match them.

Why is this a problem? Because Bob sent you a test problem?

Bob Eberlein sent me a test problem having to do with balancing inspection with production to minimize the costs of dealing with returned products. I worked up a model with several managers in it, having the appropriate goals and means of acting to achieve them, which accomplished the objectives very quickly. Since Bob had said he was thinking about how to introduce agents into SD models (this was about 40 years after SD came into existence), I thought he would be happy to see an example of how this could be done. I never heard another word from him on the subject – not even “good model”. Or “terrible model,” for that matter. Nothing.

I wonder why? Maybe he felt the model did not represent anything better then what he already had. It might have been worth a follow-up call to find out.

I asked Bob about your meeting and he said the mathematics were IDENTICAL. What was different was in the details and that for his modeling purposes those details were not significant.

When I met with Forrester. Eberlein, and George Richardson a few years ago (Marc Abrams set up the meeting), I showed them my tracking model. Forrester and Eberlein couldn’t understand why I put the reference signal inside the controller instead of saying it was the target position on the screen, and why I didn’t say that the controlling person was sensing the error signal. You may recall this same problem arising in the discussions between John Flach and me. I was violating the “engineering psychology” model that had been standard since the early 1950s. Richardson, who has a very clear understanding of PCT, tried to explain the reason to them, to no avail. I kept my mouth pretty much shut, not wanting to be the outsider telling them their business. It was pretty clear that neither Forrester nor Eberlein had any idea of how to model a controlling agent. That would explain the lack of such agents in SD models, of course.

And Herein lies at least one of the issues for PCT folks. The PCT model does NOT produce results that are in any way different then a negative feedback NON perceptual input model. It seems a negative feedback loop is a negative feedback loop. With or without the perceptual input.

Tough luck.

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.10.1836)]

[Martin Taylor 2005.02.10.16.02]

From [Marc Abrams (2005.02.10.0036)]

I wish you were as quick in answering the other questions I had
about your other claims.

With trepidation, I ask which ones? I did deal with the “P” in PCT,

The P was a rhetorical, not a direct question. It was done with tongue firmly in cheek. Perceptual, Powers, Prick, take your Pick. :slight_smile:

and without entering into one of those long dialogues with you
directly, I’ve tried to address what I think about PCT sporadically
over the last dozen years or so.

Martin, contrary to your beliefs, I have a great deal of respect for you and your knowledge. What drives me up a wall is the size of your ego, and boasting.

I’m not interested in your ‘beliefs’. I’m interested in the reasons for your beliefs. That is, the evidence you have to back up your claims.

I can think for myself thank you. I’ll be the judge of what I believe to be proper and useful scientific evidence. Even with my supposed lack of a formal education.

You think your ‘proofs’ are in your reasoning and in some cases this may be justified, but not in most. A great example of this kind of potential problem occurs a bit later in this post

You like to deal in mathematical certainties and more importantly logic with things that just don’t have those properties even though they do have numbers attached to them. The numbers or discipline give the illusion of certainty, but that certainty does not exist in the entities you describe, only in the numbers and logic you use to describe those entities.

You see Martin, analytic thought does NOT require any connection to reality. That is All A = B, all B=C, therefore A=C. What A is, or what B, or C is, is irrelevant to your logic. The question though, is how often is that the case in the real world? Hardly ever, but you are an analytic thinker and as such the world presents itself this way to you.

This is not a condemnation of the practice as Powers took my argument to be. The intent is to try and show that discovery, and new ideas do not emerge from this kind of thinking. Just a rearrangement of them.

Mathematical proofs are about working backward to the original premises or axioms which are the understood basic ‘truths’. In mathematics the conclusions are implied in the premise

I believe thinking about human behavior this way is self-defeating. Just as I disagree with Powers on the notions that our brain is an analog computer or our nervous system is an electric circuit. Nice metaphors but nothing more.

I imagine most of your questions
have been answered somewhere over that time span, even if I now might
disagree with what I said then.

No Martin, my questions were directed very specifically at claims you made in a single post. I asked for the evidence you had to back up those claims. They are now unimportant and do not need to be revisited

Now comes the REAL hard questions Martin. Why would an SDer (or
anyone else) WANT to know PCT?

It’s a generically hard question, which has nothing to do with PCT as
such. Why would an economist, for example, want to know about
physics? Answer: they probably wouldn’t, but they would have a much
better idea about their own subject if they did. Economists theorize
as if there was no such body of knowledge as thermodynamics, and as a
result produce ludicrous theories, which, unfortunately, are acted
upon by politicians. I would want economists to have a deep
understanding of thermodynamics, because I am affected by their
ignorance. They probably dont WANT to know anything about it,
because they perceive it as irrelevant and it would take some effort
to learn.

Let me make sure I understand your argument. You don’t really know why anyone would want to know PCT but you have certain ideas about why they should want to know it, and made what I believe to be an excellent analogy to economics, except I believe the analogy shows my point as well.

Whether or not the second law is of particular interest to economists is not the point. Any idea might be useful to any other individual. The question is always one of whether the person is either ignorant or simply does not find it useful. You provided no specific answer for either an economist or an SDer (caps intended). That is, if ignorance is the problem, whose responsibility is that? Every successful teacher I know found a way to reach as many students as possible. If a lack of utility is the issue, then you are just out of luck until you can find a need. All I know is that if I were interested in gaining adherents, I’d want to know why people were both disinterested and ignorant. I’d really want to know why I was having this problem. But the again, we are all different.

BTW, you simply restated the problem, you did not provide a solution.

This is the current CSGnet mantra and this will not get the job done.

The PCT answer to your question is that nobody would want anything in
particular unless its lack made it difficult for the person to reduce
the error in some controlled perception.

This may be ONE of the possible answers from a PCT perspective. I believe there may be others. But even this filled with PCTspeak, the ‘error’ from what exactly?

So long as the SD community is largely concerned with systemic
interactions that don’t rely on control, they have no reason to be
interested in PCT.

This claim would be true, IF we relied solely on your logic(here is your deductive reasoning raising it’s head again) Unfortunately, while your logic is FLAWLESS, the statement is counter-factual. SD & PCT both use the same exact negative feedback loop. Thank you for providing an excellent example for my prior argument on the problems associated with analytic thought. This btw, is a very common type of fallacy.

Not only do they not necessarily have the
knowledge, it would be of no help in their work if they did. The fact
that PCT is a branch of SD means only that SD-people interested in
PCT are actually PCT-ers:-)

The situation is, I think, different for psychologists, human factors
engineers, and even biologists, all people whose subject matter is
intrinsically about the workings of living control systems. They may
not be aware that an understanding of PCT would help them with
problems they are addressing. And for some of them it might not. For
others, PCT might well be a panacea.

Sorry MT, there are NO differences here. People will either be aware of an idea or not, and they will either think the idea useful or not. There may be gradations for bboth but we are still talking about the two main issues

What does it buy him (or anyone else)? That is, how does the
knowledge of PCT help his model building (or anything else he might
be interested in accomplishing with PCT)? What does it add to what
he already has?

That truly depends on what the problem is that he is trying to
address. PCT turned out to be extremely useful in developing an air
accident investigation protocol.

I assume ‘aaip’ was developed by some without the benefit of the use of PCT as well as for some with it. Being ‘extremely’ useful is nice. The question though is whether there are alternative methods that others find more attractive. FOR WHATEVER REASON. I am not asking, or talking about BETTER. I’m asking if there is some inherent property of PCT that makes this kind of planning a PCT activity.

Rick, how do you plan on getting the research adherents you would
like if you can’t justify the time necessary to learn vs. the
benefits accrued?

Very simple economics.

And as General Jeffreys suggested, a pervasive problem.

It might be pervasive but the question is can the problem be solved. Is there any real interest in doing so?

I don’t think so.

Marc

[From Rick Marken (2005.02.10.1720)]

Bill Powers (2005.02.10.0908 MST)--

Martin Taylor 2005.02.09.17.44--

Once you get past the turbulent stream of sneers and insults, Marc Abrams
does have something to say.

I admire your forebearance, but it can be overdone, and can invite even worse
nonsense by putting up with it. Marc has very little to say; it's just that he
says it in such offensive ways and repeats it so often that it starts sounding
familiar after a while. The most charitable view one can take is that there is
some serious condition underlying this "torrent" (good word)

I think there is an even more charitable view: the PCT view. I believe that
Marc's behavior can be explained very simply: he is controlling desperately
for selling PCT. This means that Marc is willing to say and do anything
(and I mean _anything_) in order to get people to buy PCT, those people
being mainly the SD community, some neurophysiologists he admires and some
others. I think he is particularly angered by you and me because we don't
approach PCT this way. What we "just don't get" is that we are lousy
salesmen, and by being such we are a huge disturbance to Marc attaining his
goal (PCT in every pot, I suppose).

I think Marc is just a particularly coarse example of what I have seen a lot
of over the course of my 25 year association with PCT: people who fall in
love with PCT for some reason, want to use it for their own purposes
(usually to sell some application they have developed) but don't really want
to approach it scientifically. People who do treat PCT scientifically --
even those who developed the idea -- are a disturbance to those who want to
see PCT because science and selling don't mix, for obvious reasons. Who
would want someone sniffing around the foundations of their "killer" app?

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken
MindReadings.com

--------------------

of the original message.

[From Bill Powers (2005.02.10.1909 MST)]

Rick Marken (2005.02.10.1720)--

I think Marc is just a particularly coarse example of what I have seen a lot
of over the course of my 25 year association with PCT: people who fall in
love with PCT for some reason, want to use it for their own purposes
(usually to sell some application they have developed) but don't really want
to approach it scientifically. People who do treat PCT scientifically --
even those who developed the idea -- are a disturbance to those who want to
see PCT because science and selling don't mix, for obvious reasons. Who
would want someone sniffing around the foundations of their "killer" app?

Yes, I've seen that happen in PCT. Remember the "universal error curve" flap? How dare I come up with a new idea? And there have been others.

But I'm just working on PCT, putting one foot in front of another and following my nose. I don't care if my ideas change. I just don't want to waste my time and energy coping with difficult people. I don't even care why they're difficult. That's their problem. Mine is that life doesn't go on forever and I still have things I want to do. Every time I get sucked into a game like Marc's I end up not accomplishing anything for days and days. That time is gone; it can't be put back in the hopper. The play clock can't be reset.

I've almost finished a version of TrackAnalyze for David Goldstein. He wants to use it for research. Another day or two should do it. Then I can get back to adding to Demo1 and trying to decide where to go next in the new book. That's what I need to be doing.

As you imply, let someone else sell PCT. Selling is a full-time job. I couldn't do that, too.

Best,

Bill P.