logic and imagination

[From Bruce Nevin (20190810.09:48 ET)]

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/7/eaaw2089

Reward associations do not explain transitive inference performance in monkeys

We manipulated the amount of reward associated with each item of an ordered list, so that maximizing expected reward value was always in conflict with decision rules based on the implicit list order. … appropriate inferences are made despite discordant reward incentives

They propose that the monkeys are performing this logic:

A comes before B

B comes before C

Therefore A comes before C

But all they have to do is remember the sequence A-B-C and control it in imagination.

The fact that some behavior can be expressed in formal logical terms doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what the brain is doing. Similarly, just because it can be coded as a program doesn’t mean that the brain is controlling by means of programs. Looking at the oceanic periphery of the PCT map, there be grand delusions here.

My view:

Logic is a formalization of inferences which in practice we make by other means.

Formal logic can reach correct conclusions which are counter-intuitive.

If logic were innate, logicians would be out of business.
Logic is dependent upon and derived from language.

Frege’s Laws of thought would better be titled Laws for thought.

Of course this is well-tilled ground where sensible people and I suppose angels should fear to tread.

It’s often overlooked that the truth of a logical conclusion is utterly dependent upon every one of the premises and assumptions of the logical argument. If someone like Alan Dershowitz or Noam Chomsky is beating you up with his impeccable logic, look closely into his premises and assumptions.

···

/Bruce

[Rick Marken 2019-08-10_17:39:08]

RM: If you get a chance could you give a brief summary of what they had the animals doing. And why you think the animals weren’t doing what the researches thought they were doing.

BN: The fact that some behavior can be expressed in formal logical terms doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what the brain is doing. Similarly, just because it can be coded as a program doesn’t mean that the brain is controlling by means of programs. Looking at the oceanic periphery of the PCT map, there be grand delusions here.

RM: PCT doesn’t say that the brain “controls by means of programs”. It says that the brain controls program perceptions. And my program control demo shows that this is indeed the case.The demo shows that control of a program perception can occur without the person producing programmatic output. It also shows that control of a program perception is not the same control of a sequence perception. And it shows that program perceptions are controlled at a higher level than sequence perceptions. This is evidenced by the fact that sequence perceptions can be controlled at a much faster rate than program perceptions using when both are controlled using same means (a bar press).Â

Â

BN: My view:

Logic is a formalization of inferences which in practice we make by other means.

Frege’s Laws of thought would better be titled Laws for thought.

RM: I think this is pretty much consistent with PCT. In PCT, formal logic is not innate, any more than mathematics is innate. What is innate (presumably) is the ability to perceive the perceptual variables that make up formal logic (such as inferential relationships between perceptions).Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

···

Of course this is well-tilled ground where sensible people and I suppose angels should fear to tread.

It’s often overlooked that the truth of a logical conclusion is utterly dependent upon every one of the premises and assumptions of the logical argument. If someone like Alan Dershowitz or Noam Chomsky is beating you up with his impeccable logic, look closely into his premises and assumptions.

/Bruce

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[Bruce Nevin (2019011.14:40 ET)]

RM: If you get a chance could you give a brief summary of what they had the animals doing. And why you think the animals weren’t doing what the researches thought they were doing.

Irrelevant. The substance of their experiment is immaterial to the point. Ockham’s razor isn’t about demonstrated facts, it’s about unnecessary explanatory principles.Â

By whatever means, they demonstrated to their own satisfaction that the monkeys learned that A comes before B, and that the monkeys learned that B comes before C. Then by like means they verified that the monkeys also knew that A comes before C. This is called transitive inference, and is considered a form of reasoning. Let’s just assume that these are empirically valid observations. My quarrel is not with their methods or results. My quarrel is with my hope, when I saw this, that it might be an example of program-level control. My argument is that it is not.

They are saying, in effect, that the monkeys are controlling the temporal sequence A→C (where → symbolizes the before-after relation) by means of controlling the following series of perceptions at the program level:

For any perceptions A, B, and C

if A→B & B→C

then A→C

I have a real problem with the brain maintaining abstract variables that can be instantiated by any arbitrary perceptions. Bill got into this in part because he thought that’s how language works. But set that aside for another time.

‘A before B’ and ‘B before C’ are sequence perceptions. (You could call them temporal relationship perceptions, except that we privilege time differently from the other three dimensions.)Â

The monkey perceives A→B. in doing so, the monkey necessarily perceives B. But B is the input for perceiving B→C. Here, my experience examining subjective perceptions has suggested to me a more general role for imagination than we have usually considered. I believe that when the monkey perceives B, the monkey has at least a weak imagined signal from comparators that are linked to B in a sequence structure. The sequence A→B is learned and established. Perceiving A, the monkey imagines B. There is an ‘expectation’ of B. There is a readiness to perceive the presence of B when perceptual input is somewhat less complete than ordinarily might be required, because that input is supplemented by an imagined signal. B→C is learned and established. Perceiving B, the monkey imagines C. There is an ‘expectation’ of C. There is a readiness to perceive the presence of C. Consequently, linking up the sequence A→B→C would be a simple and obvious bit of learning. Then to control the perception that A comes before C …

… all they have to do is remember the sequence A-B-C and control it in imagination.

I don’t deny that there are if-then test functions in the neural hierarchy. That’s what input functions do, at every level. All that is needed for the if/then of the above syllogism is the input functions that test for the presence of A, B, and C, the organization of the comparators for recognizing and controlling them into sequences, and a little bit of imagination.

BN: The fact that some behavior can be expressed in formal logical terms doesn’t necessarily mean that’s what the brain is doing. Similarly, just because it can be coded as a program doesn’t mean that the brain is controlling by means of programs. Looking at the oceanic periphery of the PCT map, there be grand delusions here.

RM: PCT doesn’t say that the brain “controls by means of programs”.Â

On pp. 161-169 B:CP proposes that it does. Bill describes “reading the newspaper” as a program that is interrupted by another program, “looking for my glasses”. The latter is “a list of relationships brought about in sequential order”–a sequence. “Yet the program is not a list. It is a structure, and at the nodes of this structure are tests or decision points. There was no way I could have predicted the list of relationships or at what point the list would terminate and a new sort of relationship-list would begin to unfold (when the glasses turned up).” I have a lot of questions and problems with Bill’s description of programs. “Picking up a stiff piece of cardboard requires a different set of lower-order acts than picking up a limp undershirt that happens to have one end caught in a drawer.” This reception of perceptual input by some input functions better than by others, and this varying of perceptual inputs (by varying the reference signals for controlling them)–this is a program? But these questions and problems will have to wait for another occasion. Suffice to say that PCT does indeed say that the brain controls by means of programs, at least PCT as outlined by Bill in B:CP on pp. 161-169 says that.

We have sequence perceptions. Like any perception, a sequence perception can be controlled. A sequence perception comprises a number of controlled variables which are controlled one after another in serial order. Generally, what we are controlling by those means is ultimately the final CV of the series. (There are exceptions to this and elaborations of this.) When we control the final CV of a sequence by means of controlling each of the prior CVs in turn, we have controlled that sequence perception. The final CV might reflect the cumulative effects of the successive CVs, that’s another possibility.

We can perceive a sequence that is controlled by a different agent. Whether this agent is a control system or some kind of non-control mechanism is immaterial. In that case, we perceive a sequence, but we’re not controlling it. We could watch a traffic light cycling through green, yellow, and red, then green again. In this case, we’re in observation mode. The Honeywell traffic light apparatus is controlling the traffic lights, but it is not a control system. It’s governed by a timer. We can imagine a situation where the Honeywell apparatus is on the blink, but until a part can be delivered a technician can stand there and manually switch the lights. The technician is controlling a perception of the correct sequence, acting as a control system. They may refer to a watch but they’re not governed by it. Now suppose the defect in the Honeywell apparatus sporadically swaps yellow and green. Yellow for 3 minutes, then green for 20 seconds, then red for 3 minutes. The technician has to watch and intervene if this happens. If yellow follows red, if green is too short–there are several clues that intervention is needed to switch the apparatus back to proper operation. The technician is controlling a perception of the proper sequence, but the means of control could be anything–bang a fist here, touch a jumper wire across these points in the circuit. They might even have to control “a number of variables one after another in serial order,” perceptions quite distinct from the three colors green, yellow, and red, as the trick to restore orderly operation. So ‘controlling the perception of the sequence’ in that sense is quite different from sequence-level control. In sequence-level control we do not intervene into a sequence performed by some other agent, like Marian the Librarian in “The Music Man” when she moves the child’s finger to the right key, in sequence-level control we are controlling “a series of perceptions in serial order”, do re mi fa sol. Get your hand out of the way, I want to do it myself.

There is a like distinction between controlling a program, as to whether or not it is producing the proper outputs in the proper sequence, and program-level control.

RM: It [i.e. PCT] says that the brain controls program perceptions. And my program control demo shows that this is indeed the case.The demo shows that control of a program perception can occur without the person producing programmatic output. It also shows that control of a program perception is not the same control of a sequence perception. And it shows that program perceptions are controlled at a higher level than sequence perceptions. This is evidenced by the fact that sequence perceptions can be controlled at a much faster rate than program perceptions using when both are controlled using same means (a bar press).Â

Ockham came knocking on your door too. PCT can account for this without invoking the additional level. Your demo says nothing about control at the program level. The delay appears to me to be due to increased complexity across sensory modalities.Â

Arguendo, let’s look at your claim. The demo user perceives when a program has stopped running and presses the spacebar to start it again. So you say the user is perceiving a program and is controlling that perception of the program. The user creates an input function that receives perceptions of the screen outputs of the program that you wrote and which is running in the computer

From these perceptions of outputs on the screen that input function creates a perception of the program. The user had some prior help from your ‘what to look for’ instructions, where you spell out the program code in ordinary language, but even so developing that input function takes time and is not a simple or quick matter. But when the learning process is successful, that input function constructs a perception of a program.

I can think of many experiences that seem similar to this, where I monitor the output of some process and take a prescribed action when it lapses, or I notice in passing that the outputs aren’t as they should be, or someone calls my attention to it, and I take the action that re-establishes proper operation of that process. For that, I just need to know what the outputs should look like. But you’re positing that in order to recognize a lapse, in this case of your demo, I have to be running a replica of the program in my brain: “if circle, then blue; else red”.Â

Th seems to be the necessary structure of the input function for recognizing when the program is running and when it is not, “if circle, then blue; else red”. The input function tests “is that a circle?” and if the answer is yes the input function tests whether the next input is blue; and if the answer to the “circle” question is no the input function tests whether the next input is red.Â

So far, the input function to the program perceiving system ‘PPS’ looks like two sequences (temporal relationships), one where a circle is followed by the color blue, and the other where some other shape (a square) is followed by the color red:

Circle → Blue

Square → Red (or alternatively [error output from the circle detector] → Red)

So the reference value for the program-perceiving function requires a perceptual input from either of these sequence-control systems to know that the program is running. But it also needs to know when the program has stopped running. That’s what produces an error signal which is transformed to the user pressing the spacebar.Â

It would be parsimonious to send the error output from either of these sequence-control systems to the error output of ‘PPS’. But if we’re going to do that, why bother with the error output from ‘PPS’ at all? Just control those two sequence perceptions concurrently. Error output from either of them suffices.

The Circle → Blue sequence is equivalent to “if circle then blue”. The “if” operation is performed by the input function for the first CV of the sequence, and the “then” operation is in the structure of the sequence, such that having perceived the first CV you control to perceive the second; similarly for the other sequence, Square → Red or [error output from the circle detector] → Red. There is no separate ‘if’ test. That’s what input functions do. The contingencies are provided by the structure of a sequence control function and the contingent input from the environment.Â

Where does the perception of the program reside? In your conception, it’s a perception that the program is running correctly (or not). That’s the technician watching the blinking lights. The perception of a program in that sense is not the same as program-level control. Add some contingent perceptual inputs, like a video feed from an overhead drone showing how far traffic is backed up in each direction, and a technician manually switching the lights is probably controlling at the program level.

But in your demo is the task to perceive that the program is running, or is the task to perceive when the program has stopped running? That simple change of sign makes it a game of whack-a-mole.Â

Circle → Red → Whack!

non-Circle → Blue → Whack!

Like the technician waiting for a part at the busy intersection, I want to know when to bump the system back into line. The instruction to in effect run the program in my head in parallel to its operation in the computer strikes me as being like the old-timer counting sheep as they came out of the corral. "How can you count the so fast? What’s your secret?"Â “Oh, it’s easy. I count the legs and divide by four.”

But that just means I’m not a good subject, I guess.Â

···

/Bruce

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 8:47 PM Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

RM: PCT doesn’t say that the brain “controls by means of programs”. It says that the brain controls program perceptions. And my program control demo shows that this is indeed the case.The demo shows that control of a program perception can occur without the person producing programmatic output. It also shows that control of a program perception is not the same control of a sequence perception. And it shows that program perceptions are controlled at a higher level than sequence perceptions. This is evidenced by the fact that sequence perceptions can be controlled at a much faster rate than program perceptions using when both are controlled using same means (a bar press).Â

Â

RM: I think this is pretty much consistent with PCT. In PCT, formal logic is not innate, any more than mathematics is innate. What is innate (presumably) is the ability to perceive the perceptual variables that make up formal logic (such as inferential relationships between perceptions).Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

Of course this is well-tilled ground where sensible people and I suppose angels should fear to tread.

/Bruce

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[Rick Marken 2019-08-12_11:13:37]

BN: Irrelevant. The substance of their experiment is immaterial to the point. Ockham’s razor isn’t about demonstrated facts, it’s about unnecessary explanatory principles.Â

RM: The experiment is pretty complex but I think it would be interesting to develop a PCT model of the results. The data is pretty noisy since they probably kept the monkey’s pretty thirsty. But the monkey’s were clearly controlling for getting water by means of picking the correct picture. And touching the correct picture did require them inferring sequence from components of the sequence. So they did have to learn to perceive the components as part of a longer sequence.

Â

BN: On pp. 161-169 B:CP proposes that it does.

RM: Yes, perceptions above the program level – principles and systems concept perceptions – are controlled by setting reference for the control of particular programs. For example, the principle of “justice” is controlled by controlling a perception of the program “having a fair trial”. What I meant is that we don’t control by generating programmed outputs. Behavior is the control of perception. So a behavior that involves carrying out a program, such as a fair trial, is actually a process of producing outputs in a way that keeps that perception at the reference. My demo shows that the outputs that control a program perception will not necessarily by “programmatic” themselves.Â

RM: It [i.e. PCT] says that the brain controls program perceptions. And my program control demo shows that this is indeed the case.The demo shows that control of a program perception can occur without the person producing programmatic output. It also shows that control of a program perception is not the same control of a sequence perception. And it shows that program perceptions are controlled at a higher level than sequence perceptions. This is evidenced by the fact that sequence perceptions can be controlled at a much faster rate than program perceptions using when both are controlled using same means (a bar press).Â

BN: Ockham came knocking on your door too. PCT can account for this without invoking the additional level. Your demo says nothing about control at the program level. The delay appears to me to be due to increased complexity across sensory modalities.Â

RM: That’s not Ockham; that’s a possible confounding variable. If I get a chance I will try to write the demo so that that confound(the fact that two different perceptual variables, shape and color, are part of the definition of the program but only one, shape, is involved in the definition of sequence) is controlled. Your other comments suggests other aspects of the demo that should be controlled. So I’ll work on trying to improve it. I think I’ll just have to have one program that tests control of a sequence of shapes and colors and another that tests for control of a program of the same shapes and colors.Â

BN: But in your demo is the task to perceive that the program is running, or is the task to perceive when the program has stopped running? That simple change of sign makes it a game of whack-a-mole.Â

RM: In the demo, you are controlling for keeping the program running. The change in the program is a disturbance that you can compensate for by whack-a-moleing with the space bar.Â

BestÂ

Rick

···

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 6:27 PM Bruce Nevin csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Like the technician waiting for a part at the busy intersection, I want to know when to bump the system back into line. The instruction to in effect run the program in my head in parallel to its operation in the computer strikes me as being like the old-timer counting sheep as they came out of the corral. "How can you count the so fast? What’s your secret?"Â “Oh, it’s easy. I count the legs and divide by four.”

/Bruce

Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

/Bruce

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[Bruce Nevin (20190812:21:26 ET)]

Rick Marken 2019-08-12_11:13:37 –

BN: But in your demo is the task to perceive that the program is running, or is the task to perceive when the program has stopped running? That simple change of sign makes it a game of whack-a-mole.Â

RM: In the demo, you are controlling for keeping the program running. The change in the program is a disturbance that you can compensate for by whack-a-moleing with the space bar.Â

Yes, in an ambiguous situation like this it is common for only one resolution to be perceptible at a time.Â

Worth a good belly laugh.

I recently came across this which I sent out at the turn of the millennium, in January 2000.

A story in Scientific American (January 2001, pp. 24-26, “Side Splitting: jokes, ice water and magnetism can change your view of the world – literally”) looks at work of John D. Pettigrew (University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia) that was reported in part last March in Current Biology and more fully last November at a neuroscience conference in New Orleans.

Perception of reversible figures such as the Necker cube seems to be related to something called binocular rivalry. Present irreconcilable patterns in a stereoscope (e.g. present horizontal stripes to one eye vs. vertical bars to the other), and most people report seeing the left pattern, then the right, alternating every couple of seconds. Various kinds of evidence weigh against the early notion that neurons relatively close to the retinas are competing for dominance. Replacing this was the notion that conflicting pattern perceptions (configuration?) are constructed in parallel and then attention and awareness alternates between them.

Pettigrew’s work supports his theory that the two perceptions are constructed in the two hemispheres of the cerebral cortex. First, they tested this by affecting the activity of one hemisphere and not the other. Ice water dripped against one eardrum causes vertigo, followed by greatly heightened activity in the opposite hemisphere. A highly focused one-tesla magnetic field trained on the parietal lobe on one side temporarily interrupts much of the neural activity in that hemisphere.

Most interesting are the effects of laughter. While ice water or magnetic interference had some effect on the alternation of the two perceptions, “a good belly laugh either obliterated the binocular rivalry phenomenon altogether – so that subjects saw a crosshatch of both bars and stripes – or significantly reduced whatever natural bias the individuals showed toward one of the two forms [some previously showed a bias for one, some for the other], for up to half an hour.”

“‘It rebalances the brain,’ Pettigrew says, ‘and literally creates a new state of mind.’”

There are some interesting diagnostic possibilities if preliminary indications are born out that bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are associated with abnormalities of the “binocular rivalry” alternation. Pettigrew, with bipolar disorder, found that his own brain took 10 times longer than normal to switch between bars and stripes, confirmed this with his bipolar parents, and has a clinical trial in progress. Keith White (U. Fla.) reports abnormalities with many schizophrenics – the article doesn’t specify what the abnormalities are.

···

This accords well with studies of communication that suggested that people construct two kinds of interpretation, usually referred to (perhaps misleadingly) as verbal and nonverbal, and that they are normally aware of one “channel” but subconsciously respond to (and partly by means of) the other. If the two are consistent with one another (“congruent”) this is not problematic, but even in a purely verbal channel like email when a person says one thing with the literal meanings of his words, for example, and expresses something inconsistent with other aspects of their meaning (ambiguities such as alternative meanings of the words and syntax, associativity of the particular word choices made, affective tone, pragmatic effects of the message, etc.) it appears that the alternative construals are built up in parallel. [The oxymoronic term ‘passive-aggressive’ may refer to deliberate use of such ambiguity with ‘plausible deniability’.]Â

This is a form of conflict in perception, not in control of perception. My hunch, based on non-experimental observation and thinking about the above issues of communication, is that when control conflict is involved, one of the alternative constructs is strongly preferred and the other is ignored (made “subconscious”). I believe that the mild preference for bars or stripes mentioned above reflects the slight or incipient control involved because the alternation is a disturbance to the stability of the perceived world and subjects want the alternation to settle down. In the above work, it is not presented as a control task but rather as an uncontrollable normal phenomenon. Various experiments suggest themselves. For example, if the subject is asked to resist slow, random disturbances to the orientation of the bars (being given means to do so with a mouse or gamestick, for example), the above hunch predicts a reduction in the amount of time that the stripes cycle into view, probably to zero, that is, seeing bars all the time. (Variants with or without the stripes being disturbed in parallel, oppositely, or independently might become interesting, depending on results.)

Ambiguity is much more prevalent than we normally realize, simply because we normally are aware of only one higher-level construal of lower-level inputs, with obvious dependency on what variables we are controlling at the higher level. We perceive what seems to matter to us and ignore what apparently does not. The relation to mental health issues, therapy, and personal growth is obvious.

I am particularly delighted with the capacity of a good laugh to dissolve perceptual conflicts and resolve “either-or” alternations and blindsiding into “both-and” (or “neither but something like both”) appreciations. And such disparities are at the root of humor.Â

So … don’t forget to laugh. (And don’t forget to breathe.)

Bruce Nevin

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 2:14 PM Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

BN: Irrelevant. The substance of their experiment is immaterial to the point. Ockham’s razor isn’t about demonstrated facts, it’s about unnecessary explanatory principles.Â

RM: The experiment is pretty complex but I think it would be interesting to develop a PCT model of the results. The data is pretty noisy since they probably kept the monkey’s pretty thirsty. But the monkey’s were clearly controlling for getting water by means of picking the correct picture. And touching the correct picture did require them inferring sequence from components of the sequence. So they did have to learn to perceive the components as part of a longer sequence.

Â

RM: Yes, perceptions above the program level – principles and systems concept perceptions – are controlled by setting reference for the control of particular programs. For example, the principle of “justice” is controlled by controlling a perception of the program “having a fair trial”. What I meant is that we don’t control by generating programmed outputs. Behavior is the control of perception. So a behavior that involves carrying out a program, such as a fair trial, is actually a process of producing outputs in a way that keeps that perception at the reference. My demo shows that the outputs that control a program perception will not necessarily by “programmatic” themselves.Â

BN: Ockham came knocking on your door too. PCT can account for this without invoking the additional level. Your demo says nothing about control at the program level. The delay appears to me to be due to increased complexity across sensory modalities.Â

RM: That’s not Ockham; that’s a possible confounding variable. If I get a chance I will try to write the demo so that that confound(the fact that two different perceptual variables, shape and color, are part of the definition of the program but only one, shape, is involved in the definition of sequence) is controlled. Your other comments suggests other aspects of the demo that should be controlled. So I’ll work on trying to improve it. I think I’ll just have to have one program that tests control of a sequence of shapes and colors and another that tests for control of a program of the same shapes and colors.Â

BestÂ

Rick

/Bruce

Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

/Bruce

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[Rick Marken 2019-08-13_09:22:19]

[Bruce Nevin (20190812:21:26 ET)]

Rick Marken 2019-08-12_11:13:37 –

BN: Yes, in an ambiguous situation like this it is common for only one resolution to be perceptible at a time.Â

RM: The situation in the program control demo is not ambiguous at all. In the demo, the subject is controlling for the perception of the program “if the shape is circle, the next color is blue; else, the next color is red”. How well the subject does that – how well he or she controls – is shown at the end of the demo as a measure of the proportion of the trial that that program is occurring. If that measure is above .9 then you are clearly controlling the program at a level that is well above chance.Â

BN: Worth a good belly laugh.

RM: The demo is not a comedy sketch. It is a demonstration of control of a program perception. But the phenomenon of control of a program perception seems to cause you distress so let’s just drop it. Just because the idea that all behavior – even complex behaviors like carrying out a program of activities, as in a court trial – is the control of perception is one of Powers’ greatest insights is no reason to waste everyone’s time trying to make a joke of it.

Best

Rick

···

I recently came across this which I sent out at the turn of the millennium, in January 2000.

A story in Scientific American (January 2001, pp. 24-26, “Side Splitting: jokes, ice water and magnetism can change your view of the world – literally”) looks at work of John D. Pettigrew (University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia) that was reported in part last March in Current Biology and more fully last November at a neuroscience conference in New Orleans.

Perception of reversible figures such as the Necker cube seems to be related to something called binocular rivalry. Present irreconcilable patterns in a stereoscope (e.g. present horizontal stripes to one eye vs. vertical bars to the other), and most people report seeing the left pattern, then the right, alternating every couple of seconds. Various kinds of evidence weigh against the early notion that neurons relatively close to the retinas are competing for dominance. Replacing this was the notion that conflicting pattern perceptions (configuration?) are constructed in parallel and then attention and awareness alternates between them.

Pettigrew’s work supports his theory that the two perceptions are constructed in the two hemispheres of the cerebral cortex. First, they tested this by affecting the activity of one hemisphere and not the other. Ice water dripped against one eardrum causes vertigo, followed by greatly heightened activity in the opposite hemisphere. A highly focused one-tesla magnetic field trained on the parietal lobe on one side temporarily interrupts much of the neural activity in that hemisphere.

Most interesting are the effects of laughter. While ice water or magnetic interference had some effect on the alternation of the two perceptions, “a good belly laugh either obliterated the binocular rivalry phenomenon altogether – so that subjects saw a crosshatch of both bars and stripes – or significantly reduced whatever natural bias the individuals showed toward one of the two forms [some previously showed a bias for one, some for the other], for up to half an hour.”

“‘It rebalances the brain,’ Pettigrew says, ‘and literally creates a new state of mind.’”

There are some interesting diagnostic possibilities if preliminary indications are born out that bipolar disorder and schizophrenia are associated with abnormalities of the “binocular rivalry” alternation. Pettigrew, with bipolar disorder, found that his own brain took 10 times longer than normal to switch between bars and stripes, confirmed this with his bipolar parents, and has a clinical trial in progress. Keith White (U. Fla.) reports abnormalities with many schizophrenics – the article doesn’t specify what the abnormalities are.

This accords well with studies of communication that suggested that people construct two kinds of interpretation, usually referred to (perhaps misleadingly) as verbal and nonverbal, and that they are normally aware of one “channel” but subconsciously respond to (and partly by means of) the other. If the two are consistent with one another (“congruent”) this is not problematic, but even in a purely verbal channel like email when a person says one thing with the literal meanings of his words, for example, and expresses something inconsistent with other aspects of their meaning (ambiguities such as alternative meanings of the words and syntax, associativity of the particular word choices made, affective tone, pragmatic effects of the message, etc.) it appears that the alternative construals are built up in parallel. [The oxymoronic term ‘passive-aggressive’ may refer to deliberate use of such ambiguity with ‘plausible deniability’.]Â

This is a form of conflict in perception, not in control of perception. My hunch, based on non-experimental observation and thinking about the above issues of communication, is that when control conflict is involved, one of the alternative constructs is strongly preferred and the other is ignored (made “subconscious”). I believe that the mild preference for bars or stripes mentioned above reflects the slight or incipient control involved because the alternation is a disturbance to the stability of the perceived world and subjects want the alternation to settle down. In the above work, it is not presented as a control task but rather as an uncontrollable normal phenomenon. Various experiments suggest themselves. For example, if the subject is asked to resist slow, random disturbances to the orientation of the bars (being given means to do so with a mouse or gamestick, for example), the above hunch predicts a reduction in the amount of time that the stripes cycle into view, probably to zero, that is, seeing bars all the time. (Variants with or without the stripes being disturbed in parallel, oppositely, or independently might become interesting, depending on results.)

Ambiguity is much more prevalent than we normally realize, simply because we normally are aware of only one higher-level construal of lower-level inputs, with obvious dependency on what variables we are controlling at the higher level. We perceive what seems to matter to us and ignore what apparently does not. The relation to mental health issues, therapy, and personal growth is obvious.

I am particularly delighted with the capacity of a good laugh to dissolve perceptual conflicts and resolve “either-or” alternations and blindsiding into “both-and” (or “neither but something like both”) appreciations. And such disparities are at the root of humor.Â

So … don’t forget to laugh. (And don’t forget to breathe.)

Bruce Nevin

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 2:14 PM Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Â

BestÂ

Rick

/Bruce

Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

/Bruce

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[Martin Taylor 2019.08.13.22.07]

FYI. The Necker Cube is NOT just a reversible figure. People who

have not had classes in psychology and who have not been told that
it reverses between two forms don’t see it as reversing back and
forth between those two forms. I don’t have my copy handy (but there
is one on researchgate) Bruce Henning and I did such an experiment
(around 1963) and timed when subjects said they saw the figure
change, and to what, being explicit about whether it was a new form
to them if that wasn’t clear to th experimenter. Different subject
saw a whole lot of different forms, and I’m not sure without
referring to the paper whether the “classic” reversal was most often
the first change they saw. After that experiment (which used several illusions typically called
“reversing figures”), we tried to find some pattern that would
simply reverse without turning into unexpected forms on prolonged
viewing or listening. The only one we ever found was a piece of grey
Plasticene that had been flattened and then dented randomly with a
table-tennis ball, side-lit and viewed through a fixed aperture (the
actual Plasticene, not a photo of it). It could switch between being
all bubbles and suddenly all dents, and back again. We could find
any line drawing that would do such a reversing switch. So I
distrust any theory that relies on “two-ness” when discussing
ambiguity, especially if the subjects had advanced expectations of
what to expect to perceive.
Martin