Management and PCT

[Fred Nickols (2012.12.06.1448 AZ)]

A while back Rick asked about what I saw as the fit between management and PCT. The attached might shed some more light on that notion.

Regards,

Fred Nickols, CPT

Managing Partner

Distance Consulting LLC

The Knowledge Worker’s Tool Room

Blog: Knowledge Worker Tools

www.nickols.us | fred@nickols.us

Management and PCT.docx (18 KB)

[From Rick Marken (2012.12.07.0910)]

Fred Nickols (2012.12.06.1448 AZ)–

FN: A while back Rick asked about what I saw as the fit between management and PCT. The attached might shed some more light on that notion.

Thanks Fred. It sounds great.

I think my main problem with management consulting is that it is aimed just at management. Management implies control, which is what I understand the job of managers to be. My management controls me (they ask me to do things). And I control them (I do these things to get money (and approval) from them. But if there is anything PCT teaches us it is that arbitrary control of other control systems sucks. Arbitrary control is control that doesn’t take the goals of the controllee into account. The way to avoid the problems that come from arbitrary control is to have everyone involved in the control process get together and agree on what they want, what they don’t want and what they will accept. Kumbaya;-)

So I think management consulting should really be organizational consulting and all parties involved in the process, managers and managees, should learn PCT.

Aiming management consulting at just management seems to be incompatible with the basic ideas of PCT. My understanding of PCT suggests that all parties to an organization-- managers and managees – should learn PCT and understand the problems and benefits of mutual control.

So I guess I am in favor of eliminating management consulting in favor of organizational consulting.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

www.mindreadings.com

[From Fred Nickols (2012.12.07.1239 AZ)]

I agree with the notion that everyone needs to learn about PCT, Rick, but to get at the “managEEs” you have to get through the managERs.

As for “organizational consulting” that’s what I’ve been doing for a long, long time now. But, again, managERs have to pay the bills and I ain’t gonna do it for free.

Fred Nickols

···

From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 10:13 AM
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Subject: Re: Management and PCT

[From Rick Marken (2012.12.07.0910)]

Fred Nickols (2012.12.06.1448 AZ)–

FN: A while back Rick asked about what I saw as the fit between management and PCT. The attached might shed some more light on that notion.

Thanks Fred. It sounds great.

I think my main problem with management consulting is that it is aimed just at management. Management implies control, which is what I understand the job of managers to be. My management controls me (they ask me to do things). And I control them (I do these things to get money (and approval) from them. But if there is anything PCT teaches us it is that arbitrary control of other control systems sucks. Arbitrary control is control that doesn’t take the goals of the controllee into account. The way to avoid the problems that come from arbitrary control is to have everyone involved in the control process get together and agree on what they want, what they don’t want and what they will accept. Kumbaya;-)

So I think management consulting should really be organizational consulting and all parties involved in the process, managers and managees, should learn PCT.

Aiming management consulting at just management seems to be incompatible with the basic ideas of PCT. My understanding of PCT suggests that all parties to an organization-- managers and managees – should learn PCT and understand the problems and benefits of mutual control.

So I guess I am in favor of eliminating management consulting in favor of organizational consulting.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2012.12.07.1120)]

[From Fred Nickols (2012.12.07.1239 AZ)]

I agree with the notion that everyone needs to learn about PCT, Rick, but to get at the “managEEs” you have to get through the managERs.

As for “organizational consulting” that’s what I’ve been doing for a long, long time now. But, again, managERs have to pay the bills and I ain’t gonna do it for free.

RM: Kind of rigs the game in favor of the managers, no? Why not be a revolutionary and tell them that you won’t take their stinkin’ money unless everyone comes. The times they are a changin’. The era of greed and ignorance that started with that charming idiot movie actor President is over. Let their be light!!

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com