Miniconference

Hi, All --

Here is a preliminary proposal for one miniconference, strictly for
modelers or would-be modelers, with emphasis on neuroscience.

Bill P.

SecondFoundation.doc (17.5 KB)

From [Richard Pfau 2012.07.13 2110 EST]

Bill et al.,

Having miniconferences is fine, but don’t mothball the CSG and associated listserve. Among the 140 or so CSG listserve members there are various interests beyong modelling and therapy, including persons like myself having general interests in human behavior, behavior change, and control theory.

Listserve discussions often touch on topics of interest and enlightenment to others in often unexpected ways. So lets keep CSG active, even if it is mostly internet based, and (among other things) leave open the possibility for members to propose other miniconferences, share information related to control theory that may interest other listserve members, raise questions that other CSG members may be able to answer or share relevant thoughts about, and share drafts of possible publications and papers being worked on.

With Regards,

Richard Pfau

···

-----Original Message-----

To: CSGNET CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU

Sent: Fri, Jul 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Subject: Miniconference

`Hi, All --

Bill P.

`

Great idea! I'll be there.

Anyone know if there are any restrictions on non-US citizens entering the US if they have recently been to Cuba?

Rupert

···

On 14/07/2012 00:11, Bill Powers wrote:

Hi, All --

Here is a preliminary proposal for one miniconference, strictly for modelers or would-be modelers, with emphasis on neuroscience.

Bill P.

--

Regards,
Rupert Young
Mobile: +447795 480387
Moon's Information Technology Limited

[From Bill Powers (2012.07.14.0730 MDT)]

Richard Pfau 2012.07.13 2110 EST

RP: Having miniconferences is fine, but don't mothball the CSG and associated listserve.

BP: We can leave the listserve functional, no problem with that.

RP: Listserve discussions often touch on topics of interest and enlightenment to others in often unexpected ways. So lets keep CSG active, even if it is mostly internet based, and (among other things) leave open the possibility for members to propose other miniconferences, share information related to control theory that may interest other listserve members, raise questions that other CSG members may be able to answer or share relevant thoughts about, and share drafts of possible publications and papers being worked on.

Yes, and I encourage others to propose and hold their own miniconferences. After a certain amount of these separate conferences have occurred, in a couple of years, there may be a demand to reactivate the CSG entity and hold general conferences. In the meantime, CSGnet remains a handy way to communicate across boundaries between different interests.

Best,

Bill P.

Hi Bill

I’d be happy to come to a mini-conference. I could only do a 3 day thing over the weekend (F-Su or S-M). I’ll be out of town. I’ll be out of town most of Sept. but any other time I’d be happy to consider.

Best

RIck

···

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Bill Powers powers_w@frontier.net wrote:

Hi, All –

Here is a preliminary proposal for one miniconference, strictly for modelers or would-be modelers, with emphasis on neuroscience.

Bill P.

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Hi, Rick --

Hi Bill

I'd be happy to come to a mini-conference. I could only do a 3 day thing over the weekend (F-Su or S-M). I'll be out of town. I'll be out of town most of Sept. but any other time I'd be happy to consider.

OK, we probably will want to make Monday departure day, so you could at least attend Saturday and Sunday of a three or four day meeting -- if you think the travel expenses are worth it. If course if teaching a course is what keeps you from attending, isn't it pretty common for colleagues to cover for you, say by giving tests or supervising discussions?

Kent McClelland just wrote to say he wants to come, and Rupert Young (England) and Richard Pfau also have said they will attend. I'm assuming that Henry Yin and perhaps a student or colleague will come, as well as Bruce Abbott. Haven't heard back from the CU people at all. David Goldstein might want to come just to learn a bit more about the programming. Who else? I must be overlooking some people. So we could have 6 to 8 people, which would be quite enough, I think.

I'm almost to the point of having a complete model of the Golgi tendon reflex and stretch reflex. Slow work but it looks as if the result will be interesting. I'll get more serious about the meeting when the model is running.

Best and hi to Linda,

Bill

···

At 11:01 PM 7/15/2012, you wrote:

Hi Bill

Hi, Rick –

Hi Bill

I’d be happy to come to a mini-conference. I could only do a 3 day thing over the weekend (F-Su or S-M). I’ll be out of town. I’ll be out of town most of Sept. but any other time I’d be happy to consider.

OK, we probably will want to make Monday departure day, so you could at least attend Saturday and Sunday of a three or four day meeting – if you think the travel expenses are worth it. If course if teaching a course is what keeps you from attending, isn’t it pretty common for colleagues to cover for you, say by giving tests or supervising discussions?

Since I’m part time I really don’t have that luxury. It’s all me.

Kent McClelland just wrote to say he wants to come, and Rupert Young (England) and Richard Pfau also have said they will attend. I’m assuming that Henry Yin and perhaps a student or colleague will come, as well as Bruce Abbott. Haven’t heard back from the CU people at all. David Goldstein might want to come just to learn a bit more about the programming. Who else? I must be overlooking some people. So we could have 6 to 8 people, which would be quite enough, I think.

Sounds great.

I’m almost to the point of having a complete model of the Golgi tendon reflex and stretch reflex. Slow work but it looks as if the result will be interesting. I’ll get more serious about the meeting when the model is running.

Best and hi to Linda,

And Linda says hi back – perhaps a bit too enthusiastically;-)

Best

Rick

···

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Bill Powers powers_w@frontier.net wrote:

Bill

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Hi,

Do you have an idea of dates yet? A couple of months notice would be good.

Rupert

···

On 19/07/2012 00:34, Bill Powers wrote:

Hi, Rick --

Hi Bill

I'd be happy to come to a mini-conference. I could only do a 3 day thing over the weekend (F-Su or S-M). I'll be out of town. I'll be out of town most of Sept. but any other time I'd be happy to consider.

OK, we probably will want to make Monday departure day, so you could at least attend Saturday and Sunday of a three or four day meeting -- if you think the travel expenses are worth it. If course if teaching a course is what keeps you from attending, isn't it pretty common for colleagues to cover for you, say by giving tests or supervising discussions?

Kent McClelland just wrote to say he wants to come, and Rupert Young (England) and Richard Pfau also have said they will attend. I'm assuming that Henry Yin and perhaps a student or colleague will come, as well as Bruce Abbott. Haven't heard back from the CU people at all. David Goldstein might want to come just to learn a bit more about the programming. Who else? I must be overlooking some people. So we could have 6 to 8 people, which would be quite enough, I think.

I'm almost to the point of having a complete model of the Golgi tendon reflex and stretch reflex. Slow work but it looks as if the result will be interesting. I'll get more serious about the meeting when the model is running.

Best and hi to Linda,

Bill

--

Regards,
Rupert Young
Mobile: +447795 480387
Moon's Information Technology Limited

Just seeing this. Any further developments?

···

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Bill Powers powers_w@frontier.net wrote:

Hi, All –

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2012.11.05.1205 MST)]

Just seeing this. Any further
developments?

Hi, All –

Bill P.

Hi, Bruce (please disseminate) –

I’m preparing for a move to a retirement community apartment building,
which is sufficiently distracting to have forced me to put off this
miniconference idea, probably to next Spring. I’m trying to arrange to
sell my current double-wide mobile home to the man who’s been cleaning it
for me for four years or more, but if that doesn’t work out will have to
go through the realtor route. All this, especially the packing part and
getting rid of excess property, slows me down!

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 12:37 PM 11/5/2012 -0500, Bruce Nevin wrote:

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Bill Powers > powers_w@frontier.net > wrote: