Missing messages Re: Robertson's Science and Faith

[Martin Taylor 2007.12.16.20.06]

I have twice sent a message in response to [From Jim Wuwert 2007.12.03.2238EST]. This message was non-political PCT, but I think it was silently dumped by my ISP as possible hate mail because it had the words (which I will misspell) "N aa zz ii" and/or "Ii ss ll aa mm ii cc Ff aa ss cc ii ss tt" in it (quoting Jim).

This isn't the first time I've had messages silently fail to reach the intended recipient. There have been two other occasions. One was a holiday picture, which killed any message that had it as an attachment, but which caused no problem when I added one pixel to its size (thereby changing the letters in its coded form). The other was a PDF I tried to distribute to my NATP research group.

This silent killing of messages is very disturbing, and if one ISP is ding it in Canada, I imagine there are others doing the same thing. Has anyone else found messages being silently dumped?

Secondly, I'm going to try sending my message from a different place. I'll try my Gmail address, but please do not add that address to the CSGnet mailing list, since I almost never use it except when I'm away on holiday and want to communicate with one or two selected people.

The message will have the usual title "Re: Roberson's Science and Faith". If it doesn't arrive some time this evening, we will know there's another problem.

Martin

[Martin Taylor 2007.12.05.20.46]

[Martin Taylor 2007.12.16.20.06]

I have twice sent a message in response to [From Jim Wuwert 2007.12.03.2238EST]. This message was non-political PCT, but I think it was silently dumped by my ISP as possible hate mail because it had the words (which I will misspell) "N aa zz ii" and/or "Ii ss ll aa mm ii cc Ff aa ss cc ii ss tt" in it (quoting Jim).

This isn't the first time I've had messages silently fail to reach the intended recipient. There have been two other occasions. One was a holiday picture, which killed any message that had it as an attachment, but which caused no problem when I added one pixel to its size (thereby changing the letters in its coded form). The other was a PDF I tried to distribute to my NATP research group.

This silent killing of messages is very disturbing, and if one ISP is ding it in Canada, I imagine there are others doing the same thing. Has anyone else found messages being silently dumped?

Secondly, I'm going to try sending my message from a different place. I'll try my Gmail address, but please do not add that address to the CSGnet mailing list, since I almost never use it except when I'm away on holiday and want to communicate with one or two selected people.

The message will have the usual title "Re: Roberson's Science and Faith". If it doesn't arrive some time this evening, we will know there's another problem.

Martin

Unfortunately, the CSGnet mailserver rejected my attempt to send my message through Gmail, bypassing the rogers.com mailserver. Which makes it very difficult to contribute to the discussion!

Anybody have another suggestion?

Martin

Unfortunately, the CSGnet
mailserver rejected my attempt to send my message through Gmail,
bypassing the rogers.com mailserver. Which makes it very difficult to
contribute to the discussion!

[From Bill Powers (2007.12.05.1917 MST)]

Martin Taylor 2007.12.05.20.46\

I think you may have to subscribe from the new address
before the server will accept posts from you.

Bill P.

In the offending words, replace "i" with "!". Naz! !slam!c fasc!st
indeed!

Why would the UIUC.edu mailserver choke on a gmail sender address?

ยทยทยท

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU] On Behalf Of Martin Taylor
Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:50 PM
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU
Subject: Re: Missing messages Re: Robertson's Science and Faith

[Martin Taylor 2007.12.05.20.46]

>[Martin Taylor 2007.12.16.20.06]
>
>I have twice sent a message in response to [From Jim Wuwert
>2007.12.03.2238EST]. This message was non-political PCT, but
I think it
>was silently dumped by my ISP as possible hate mail because
it had the
>words (which I will misspell) "N aa zz ii" and/or "Ii ss ll
>aa mm ii cc Ff aa ss cc ii ss tt" in it (quoting Jim).
>
>This isn't the first time I've had messages silently fail to
reach the
>intended recipient. There have been two other occasions. One was a
>holiday picture, which killed any message that had it as an
attachment,
>but which caused no problem when I added one pixel to its
size (thereby
>changing the letters in its coded form). The other was a PDF
I tried to
>distribute to my NATP research group.
>
>This silent killing of messages is very disturbing, and if
one ISP is
>ding it in Canada, I imagine there are others doing the same
thing. Has
>anyone else found messages being silently dumped?
>
>Secondly, I'm going to try sending my message from a
different place.
>I'll try my Gmail address, but please do not add that address to the
>CSGnet mailing list, since I almost never use it except when
I'm away
>on holiday and want to communicate with one or two selected people.
>
>The message will have the usual title "Re: Roberson's Science and
>Faith". If it doesn't arrive some time this evening, we will know
>there's another problem.
>
>Martin

Unfortunately, the CSGnet mailserver rejected my attempt to
send my message through Gmail, bypassing the rogers.com
mailserver. Which makes it very difficult to contribute to
the discussion!

Martin