'Mowgli girl' found living with monkeys in Indian jungle - Sky News

If there is in example of how ignorant we are as humans about what we share with other animals - needs, goals, cooperation, affection - and a need for control - see this.
When my wife and myself read this we were so shocked, but maybe also because people's responses were so predictably traumatic. The way this girl was forcibly separated from her monkey protectors and friends for ten years sounds horrific. I can see there is an instinct for humans to 'save their own' but we need to rise above this. A sophisticated way of helping the girl would be gradual, respecting here control, and helping her to make choices about relationships with humans rather than tearing her away like this.
Apparently 'a team of psychologists' are helping her in the orphanage. I can see this is even possible from the orphanage; only from the jungle.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/news.sky.com/story/amp/mowgli-girl-found-living-with-monkeys-in-indian-jungle-10827851

Sorry the last sentence should be 'can't' not 'can'.

···

On 7 Apr 2017, at 10:15, Warren Mansell <wmansell@gmail.com> wrote:

If there is in example of how ignorant we are as humans about what we share with other animals - needs, goals, cooperation, affection - and a need for control - see this.
When my wife and myself read this we were so shocked, but maybe also because people's responses were so predictably traumatic. The way this girl was forcibly separated from her monkey protectors and friends for ten years sounds horrific. I can see there is an instinct for humans to 'save their own' but we need to rise above this. A sophisticated way of helping the girl would be gradual, respecting here control, and helping her to make choices about relationships with humans rather than tearing her away like this.
Apparently 'a team of psychologists' are helping her in the orphanage. I can see this is even possible from the orphanage; only from the jungle.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/news.sky.com/story/amp/mowgli-girl-found-living-with-monkeys-in-indian-jungle-10827851

[From Rick Marken (2017.04.08.1020)]

RM I’m surprised that no one has considered the possibility that this is a hoax. My modest understanding of human evolution leads me to suspect that this is almost certainly a hoax. As I understand it our species of hominid (homo) broke away from the other great apes at least 3 million years ago, and from monkeys even more than that. Once we got to homo sapiens, about 400,000 years ago, we had probably already developed many of the very intensive child rearing methods that are necessary to get our big brained, homo sapien babies through the first several years of their existence when they can do very little for themselves. I don’t believe that a human child could survive for more than a couple weeks (if that) being raised by any creature other than another human, and even then it’s often touch and go.

RM: My experience with the extraordinary complexity of raising a child, combined with some knowledge of human evolution and the fact many of these “feral child” stories have been shown to be hoaxes (at least on of the most famous ones being from India) leads me to believe that this story will soon be revealed to be a hoax.Â

Best regards

Rick

···

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

When my wife and myself read this we were so shocked, but maybe also because people’s responses were so predictably traumatic. The way this girl was forcibly separated from her monkey protectors and friends for ten years sounds horrific. I can see there is an instinct for humans to ‘save their own’ but we need to rise above this. A sophisticated way of helping the girl would be gradual, respecting here control, and helping her to make choices about relationships with humans rather than tearing her away like this.

Apparently ‘a team of psychologists’ are helping her in the orphanage. I can see this is even possible from the orphanage; only from the jungle.

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Well that’s the opposite angle to the ‘we are all just animals controlling’ comment I made!

···

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

When my wife and myself read this we were so shocked, but maybe also because people’s responses were so predictably traumatic. The way this girl was forcibly separated from her monkey protectors and friends for ten years sounds horrific. I can see there is an instinct for humans to ‘save their own’ but we need to rise above this. A sophisticated way of helping the girl would be gradual, respecting here control, and helping her to make choices about relationships with humans rather than tearing her away like this.

Apparently ‘a team of psychologists’ are helping her in the orphanage. I can see this is even possible from the orphanage; only from the jungle.

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery