My Observer is not Divine

[From Kenny Kitzke(2007.12.08)]

<Bill Powers (2007.12.08.0803 MST)>

I changed the title to try to clarify that my human spirit that I perceive in me acts like a PCT “Observer” and is not divine. If it were, I would not be such a messed up human being.

<I’d like to make a suggestion, actually following up on one of Kenny Kitzke’s comments about system concepts and religion.>

I am delighted to follow up on your suggestion.

<Just for a moment, let’s forget about whether there is or isn’t a God, and focus on what it means to ponder that idea.>

As far as I am concerned, we can forget this for as long as we live. I don’t think it is possible today for any man to prove there is a God. It is a belief built by faith upon subjective evidence. If there is a God, I have little doubt that He could prove His own existence to any of us. But, so far, He has not proven that to me. I am more certain that no man can ever prove a God does not exist. This is from logic where you cannot prove a negative.

Yet, we can prove that we exist. We are alive. And, we behave. This is the human behavior that interests me. And PCT explains it better than anything else I have been able to find. That is why I am here. And, this science of human behavior does not depend any more on whether or not a God exists than the science of physics. Further, I do not think the science of behavior depends on whether the humans we are and can study got this way by divine creation or evolution. It is why I think it is a waste of time to discuss God, the Bible, religion, intelligent design, creation, evolution, etc., on this forum. It is not that these topics aren’t interesting or worth debating, it is just that they are superfluous to understanding the science of human behavior on this net.

What discussing them does seem to do is divert discussion from the science and cause conflicts between participants (who take their system variables seriously). The science, the professionalism and the collegial friendships among interested parties has generally suffered from such discussion rather than enhancing any of them.

<When you’re thinking about ideas that affect you, like the dangers from Osama or from Iranian clerics, you tend to put the situation in terms of personal fears and other reactions like anger and outrage. So you argue, “If he did something to me, and threatens to do more, why shouldn’t I just exterminate him and everyone like him? Isn’t it just human nature to protect yourself and your loved ones?”>

Yep.

<But when you think of God, you don’t think the same way. You ask, “Didn’t God create Osama and the clerics, too? Why did he do that? How can God allow these things to happen when I’ve never harmed those other people? How can I make sense of this situation from the point of view that God would take?”>

Some people do think differently; some don’t. Some believers may ask such questions, to others they many never occur. No thinking will be identical. We are one-of-a-kind specimens. It is very evident that I do not think the same way about God, or how God wants His creatures to behave, as Jim does. Should I straighten him out on CSGNet, or anywhere? I say, no, unless he wants my advice. And, if he does, I say it makes more sense to talk about what God wants His creatures to do (or not do) with Jim privately, not on a public forum like CSGNet. It’s not a contest, is it?

<Now you see yourself as just one of many human beings spread out over the world in the sight of God, and you’re trying to grasp something that you know is beyond you, yet that is still vastly important. You’re trying to find order and goodness in the chaotic relationships that hold among human beings, and in the feelings that war for precedence inside every individual. Revenge or forgiveness? Fear or hope? Peace or war?>

Yep, deep in my human spirit, separate from my active/controlling mind, there is a comparator contest over which system concept I will act/control for: achieving revenge or granting forgiveness. My spirit “Observer” (whatever it is) in me is what is aware of my system perception possibilities and somehow specifies the ones I will use as references for my life. It selects and combines the systems level concepts that synergistically give me a unique sense of purpose I find desirable. I conceive this as an imaginary life long-term purpose concept that feels right for me. It is difficult to describe to others until the lower level perceptions and references articulate observable behavior they can sense.

By the way, Rick misrepresented my human spirit/observer as God. That is not what I said or meant. I am not saying that God can’t observe my actions, my references or the deepest intents of my spirit, but I believe those are mine, unique to me alone, and not God’s.

<When you try to grasp, or accept, God’s view of human affairs, you’re still doing this from a mere human’s point of view, naturally, but you’re starting to get a glimmer of something at a new level, the level I call system concepts. Instead of thinking how to save your own neck, you’re puzzling over how we could arrange our affairs, our principles, so as to save everyone’s neck – even Osama’s. The God-like point of view is not identified with any one person’s affairs but encompasses all of them. When one person runs amok and kills one other or eight others or 3000 others, it is the same problem: something has gone wrong with a human mind that has led to tragedy for a large number of others, just as if the person had been infected by a mutated virus which brought down many others, too. Blame and retribution become irrelevant; what matters is how to fix the problem, cure those affected by it as far as possible, and keep it from happening again. Those tiny human beings are shouting for vengeance, but from the point of view of God, you can say “Leave the vengeance – if any – to Me. Seek out your own salvation with diligence. Tat Tvam Asi.” You say and hear that in whatever language you speak.>

Sure, a person who trusts the Bible can think that way. It is a source of ways to think about life. It is the Book of books, the most read book ever. But, I don’t know of any two Bible believers (who accept it as the infallible word of God and His will for His creatures) who agree on what it says to do in specifics. My wife of over 40 years read it, debate it and pray about it and still understand parts of it differently.

The debates within Christianity are every bit as diverse as those between believers and atheists about how we should live and what to believe. I admit I spend way more time in those debates than in studying PCT. And, those debates can become as nasty as those between two atheist scientists trying to agree on global warming, when life begins or how the universe came into existance.

<If there were a God who could by a simple act of Will cure all the world’s problems, there would be no need for us human beings, nor would there be any understandable excuse for God’s behavior. But if the God-viewpoint is seen as a sketch of an attainable human viewpoint, and if the solutions to the world’s problems remain the responsibility of the human beings who created them, then the God-viewpoint is highly relevant. It shows us a place to stand from which we can move the world. From that point of view we can make perfect sense of loving our enemies, turning the other cheek, doing as we would be done by, going an extra mile with those would would force us to travel the first one, seeking the Kingdom of Heaven within us. Is that what Christ was trying to tell us about? System concepts? I have thought so for a long time.>

He told us about the most difficult things to understand about life and purpose and the consequences of our actions. He lets us choose what to believe. It’s our free will as to whether we are interested in His. A teen in my congregation asked about why God allows evil and sin even in His chosen people? There were a number of answers given. I asked PJ if he would take more pleasure in the applause we give him after his music if the pastor said “clap for the kid or I’ll dis-fellowship you” or if we clapped because we were pleased with PJ’s effort, even if it was not the best we had ever heard? The answer was obvious. And, PJ said so our Father is more pleased if we will (choose on our own) to love others (even enemies) than if we half-heartedly obey Him out of fear of Him. I said Bingo. People are free to try to be like Him or ignore Him. If He is real, it is easy to understand whom He will reward and whom He will punish.

<Why quibble about whether a God really, truly, exists? If he didn’t exist, as someone said in French, it would be necessary to invent him. What matters is the point of view to which we are led when we try to guess what God would want us to do. That’s where we will find, or create, the answers.

Best,

Bill P.>

Yes, the human behavioral answers are created in our spirit/our observer’s will/purpose and actions to perceive them about ouselves. Unfortunately, however, if God exists, and our answers that please us displease Him, the answer that vengeance is His as related earlier would make me think about my system references.

···

Check out AOL Money & Finance’s list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

From Jim Wuwert 2007.12.09.1431EST

Kenny you said something to the effect that you did not think it was productive to talk about the God issues, intelligent design, etc. I disagree with you. I think that if we cannot talk about those ideas respectively then, what is the point? Isn’t the point of PCT to give us a framework for discussing the things we hold dearly? I cannot separate my faith in God from me the person. I view that as being double minded. I think weaving God into this is very appropriate and real.

Like Bill said, which I agree with, perhaps, the believers and the non believers could relax a little bit and listen to the other side. Who knows? Maybe if we listen to one another we might experience some growth that would help us live more peacefully here on earth, even if we disagree.

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU
From: Kenneth Kitzke Value Creation Systems KJKitzke@AOL.COM
Sent by: “Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet)” CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU
Date: 12/08/2007 07:41PM
Subject: My Observer is not Divine

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address
is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law,
which may result in monitoring and disclosure to
third parties, including law enforcement.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER

[Martin Taylor 2007.12.09.15.54]

From Jim Wuwert 2007.12.09.1431EST

Isn’t the point of PCT to give us a framework for discussing the things we hold dearly?

Not for me, it isn’t. For me the point of discussing PCT (not “the point of PCT”) is to try to get closer to an understanding of how people and other living things work. Possibly it would also a way to improve the development of autonomous robots, such as Mars Rovers, if the engineers of such vehicles were to join the discussion.

Now as to “the point of PCT”, again it’s a question of perception, but I perceive PCT as having been the underlying basis of all life over the whole stretch of evolutionary history. That it works in the academic field we call “psychology” among humans (and probably many other species) is interesting and important, but it’s only a part of what PCT is valuable for.

Yes, PCT can provide a frame of reference in which to try to understand your own behaviour, as well as that of other people, and that understanding is helped by discussion. I don’t think, however that the point of it is at all to “provide a framework for discussion”. It is to provide a means of understanding, and discussion is a useful aid to that understanding.

Martin

[From Kenny Kitzke (2007.12.09)]

<Jim Wuwert 2007.12.09.1431EST>

<Kenny you said something to the effect that you did not think it was productive to talk about the God issues, intelligent design, etc. I disagree with you.>

Tis your right, Jim. Go for it. If it advances our collective understanding about the science of human behavior, I’ll be happy to join in. I have answered a number of questions that posters had about God, the Bible, etc., in this recent thread and many times before. I have responded to a number of related statements made or opinions expressed, including this one of yours. I am not afraid to discuss my faith in God here. I have not found it productive in the past and have witnessed abuse and permanent disengagement in the past. It doesn’t have to be that way, so pursue it and see.

<I think that if we cannot talk about those ideas respectively then, what is the point? Isn’t the point of PCT to give us a framework for discussing the things we hold dearly?>

No. I think the purpose of this CSGNet is to talk respectively about ideas we hold dearly about human behavior and how to model it. There are continual substantive debates about the model, the hierarchy, the neural signals, the role of emotions, the levels, the reorganization system and even Bill’s conceptual speculation of an observer. That is why I read the posts. What a person believes about God or the Bible is relevant to the behavior of that person but not to the theory.

Yes, but it is appropriate and real for YOU as you consider this theory. I feel exactly this way. I actively discussed PCT with Bible believing, Christ following executives last week. We are respectful and looking for understanding about people and leadership.

What about the other 99 participants on this list? What has your discussion about your faith in God added to the group’s understanding of PCT? We may have learned something about why you behave a certain way and that may be interesting to some. But, how has it advanced the understanding of how behavior works in all people?

<Like Bill said, which I agree with, perhaps, the believers and the non believers could relax a little bit and listen to the other side. Who knows? Maybe if we listen to one another we might experience some growth that would help us live more peacefully here on earth, even if we disagree.>

I respect and enjoyed Bill’s up a level perspective. If participants want to discuss how God, the Bible, religion, science or faith affects peace on earth, I guess it is a noble goal. And, if it is done amicably and respectfully, I surely won’t balk. We can rap about abortion, homosexuality, gun control, politics, economics, disparity in income, energy independence, wild fires in California, hurricanes, global warming, nuclear proliferation, ethics, astronomy, etc., etc. These are all important and interesting things to discuss. There are plenty of forums to rap about all of them for those who wish to do that. Here, I feel the interest and focus are on the perceptual control theory of behavior of living things, especially humans.

Further, I wish I believed that if 10 people on CSGNet saw some better paths to world peace, it would make a difference for world peace. I perceive that as wishful thinking. I felt there were some good paths created by our CSG conference in China. I suppose every bit helps, but…I don’t suspect I will live long enough to observe that bringing peace on earth.

···

Check out AOL Money & Finance’s list of the hottest products and top money wasters of 2007.

Further, I wish I believed that
if 10 people on CSGNet saw some better paths to world peace, it would
make a difference for world peace. I perceive that as wishful
thinking. I felt there were some good paths created by our CSG
conference in China. I suppose every bit helps, but…I don’t
suspect I will live long enough to observe that bringing peace on
earth.
[From Bill Powers (2007.12.10.0331 MST)}

Kenny Kitzke
(2007.12.09)–

You can’t bring peace all over the earth, but you can bring it in one
place, in Kenny Kitzke, and maybe in another: all the people who know,
work with, and admire Kenny Kitze. Peace on earth means peace within
people, between people, between you and me and every other pair of human
beings. If we wait for God to bring it, forcing us, changing us to make
us be peaceful even if we don’t want to be, or if we wait for other
people to do it first, we will be waiting a long time. What do you think
God is waiting for? If you and God are waiting for each other, you are
waiting for yourself. One level in you is waiting for another.

Peace comes when conflict dies away. Conflict dies away when you
recognize it and find some kind of new place from which to view it. When
one person feels in less conflict with another, the other feels that too;
it’s almost automatic. When there is less conflict, people think more
freely and clearly about themselves and about others. Aren’t we seeing
that happening right here? You can still see the little vestiges of
conflict, little scraps of it here and there that are the last things we
let go. But isn’t there a sense of wanting things to be different, to be
better among us? I think I see that. I know it’s a passionate wish of
mine and therefore not to be too much trusted, but I think it really
happens.

So I don’t think peace on earth is that impossible or that far away. I
have some of it right now. We have more of it now, together, than we had
a week ago. I see and feel more of it than I did 55 years ago when I
started down this path, having no idea where it would lead. I like where
it seems to be leading now in the United States, in Canada, in Great
Britain, in Europe, in Australia and New Zealand, in China, and no doubt
in other places I know little about. There are a lot of centers from
which peace on earth is beginning to spread. We don’t have to be
responsible for all of it – only the part we can influence.

Best,

Bill P.

Kenneth wrote :
I think the purpose of this CSGNet is to talk respectively about ideas we
hold dearly about human behavior and how to model it. There are continual
substantive debates about the model, the hierarchy, the neural signals, the
role of emotions, the levels, the reorganization system and even Bill's
conceptual speculation of an observer. That is why I read the posts. What
a person believes about God or the Bible is relevant to the behavior of that
person but not to the theory.

Boris wrote:
Very nice told, Kenneth...:slight_smile:

What I don't understand here quite well is Bill's conceptual speculation
about the observer...I didn't follow disccusion well. Is that the observer
like the observer in Special relativity theory or in Maturana's book Tree of
knowledge? I'm interested in explanation...All are invited, specially Bill...

What I don’t understand here
quite well is Bill’s conceptual speculation

about the observer…I didn’t follow disccusion well. Is that the
observer

like the observer in Special relativity theory or in Maturana’s book Tree
of

knowledge? I’m interested in explanation…All are invited, specially
Bill.
[From Bill Powers (2007.12.11.0940 MST)]
Boris Hartman (05:21 AM 12/11/2007 -0600) –
The observer I talk about is the viewpoint from which we are aware of
everything else. “Everything else” includes all the
characteristics, attributes, perceptions, and thoughts we ordinarily
identify as the “self.” “Everything else” includes
beliefs and faith and doubts and attitudes like dislike or admiration or
worship. Those are all things going on in us of which we can become
aware, so they are NOT the agency that is aware of them. Finding the
observer is mainly a matter of finding all the aspects of experience that
are not the observer. When all those other things have been put in their
places, as object of awareness, what is left is the quiet center into
which all experience comes. This is the best I can do with thoughts and
words to indicate the state of being that I call the observer. I have no
ideas about its physical nature, no theories beyond a few hesitant
guesses about what it does, is, or wants. As the subject line in the
header (from Kenny Kitzke) indicates, I don’t think the observer is
“divine.” But then I don’t think anything is.
The observer seems able to join with learned perceptual control systems
anywhere in the hierarchy, to create that focused state we call
consciousness or attention. When so joined, the observer and the observed
together take on the characteristics of whatever part of the hierarchy it
is: the world appears as a collection of intensities, or system concepts,
or anything in between. A basic rule seems to be that the location in
which awareness is identified with the hierarchy is not in
awareness; instead, the perceptions that go with that location seem to be
“given” attributes of the observed lower-level world. We see
the color and texture and feel the temperature and weight of an object,
but the fact that we are perceiving a configuration, an object, is simply
not in awareness right at that moment. That is why we can suddenly become
aware of what was not in awareness a moment ago, and see that what we are
are looking at is an object, in a world full of other objects. And then
we are unaware of the new viewpoint from which we are seeing
this.

If you think you are finally looking at the entity I call the observer,
the “looking at” part is evidence that you are not doing so.
You can only look at things that are not the observer doing the
looking.

That’s the story I tell myself in an effort to bring some sort of order
into this experience of observing. It’s mostly phenomenology. It seems to
fit what we find with the method of levels.

Maturana draws a diagram of the relationship between the nervous system
and the external world. In one corner he draws an eye, looking at the
diagram. I once asked him if that eye doesn’t imply an observer that is
not represented in the diagram. He changed the subject.

Best,

Bill P.

Bill Wrote :

The observer I talk about is the viewpoint from which we are aware of
everything else. "Everything else" includes all the characteristics,
attributes, perceptions, and thoughts we ordinarily identify as the
"self." "Everything else" includes beliefs and faith and doubts and
attitudes like dislike or admiration or worship. Those are all things
going on in us of which we can become aware, so they are NOT the
agency that is aware of them.

Boris Wrote :

Hello Bill. Thanks.

Well, what can I say. It was really a superb explanation. I enyojed it. I
see how much pleasure you can bring in life of people with PCT...:). I'm
really asking myself why can't we make ourselves every day more bright with PCT.

May I ask Bill, is the observer maybe TOP hierarchical level of Perceptual
Control System...?

Is it maybe connected with :

Bill wrote :
"It's only on the top level of physiological functioning that we can expect
sensing of the general status of life-support system to occur."

Could that be the observer. Does it occur on that level what you described ?
I'm thinking if we manage to define top level of hierarchical control
system, there will be no sense in "seeking" for 12 level...as people are
persistingly trying to prove.

Best,

Boris

P.S. Is it possible that Relativity theory can be used as proof for
correctness of PCT as Einstein did make relativisation to percpetual world
of an observer, like being in elevator, where perceptual control is limited.
We can't say either we are in continuous moving or in stagnation. Or in
train. I see a lot of proofs there for rightness of PCT.

[From Bjorn Simonsen (2007.12.12,14:45 EUST)]

From Boris Hartman 2007.12.12

What I don't understand here quite well is Bill's
conceptual speculation about the observer...I didn't
follow disccusion well.

I don't know and I will not tell you his conceptual speculations about the
observer. But it is neighboring to think upon the level above the level
where we control our perceptions.
There is a problem if we control perceptions on the 11th. level. And so far
I don't think there is a PCT answer. But we all can philosophize.

bjorn

May I ask Bill, is the observer
maybe TOP hierarchical level of Perceptual

Control System…?
[From Bill Powers (2007.12.12.1914 MST)]

A note to Bjorn Simonsen: I don’t see what the problem is with
controlling perceptions at the 11th level (system concepts). Can you
explain what you mean?

Boris Hartman(02:53 AM 12/12/2007 -0600) –

A system at a given level of the hierarchy perceives variables that are a
function of multiple perceptyal signals from lower levels. It compares
the new perceptions with reference signals (or the equivalent of
reference signals) and the error is turned into settings of reference
signals for the next lower level. Level-skipping on the output side is
unlikely because it would probably disturb the levels that were skipped,
which would try to counteract the disturbance.

Awareness appears to obtain information selectively from perceptual
signals at any level in the hierarchy. Where it is focused,
reorganization is apparently concentrated. I don’t know of any reference
conditions that are involved with awareness, nor does it seem to control
any variables I can identify. If it sent arbitrary output signals into
the hierarchy, they would disturb the control systems already operating
there, and the hierarchical control system would resist those outputs.
Doing that might or might not be useful.

Does awareness sound as if it is part of the top level in the hierarchy?
It doesn’t seem that way to me. However, I am very ignorant about
awareness and have no model for it, so nothing I say about it should be
accepted just because I say it.

As to relativity theory, I haven’t seen any way it could be tied to PCT.
The effects of fast motion on the passage of time and on the apparent
masses of objects (special relativity) don’t seem to tell us anything I
can see about the brain, and the effects of masses on the curvature of
space (general relativity) seem likewise to be about something other than
the brain. Some day we will probably see how the human hierarchy of
perceptions is responsible for the way the physical world looks to us,
but that day is a long way off.

Best.

Bill P.

[From Bjorn Simonsen (2007.12.13,
from Bill Powers (2007.12.12.1914 MST)

A note to Bjorn Simonsen: I don't see what the problem is
with controlling perceptions at the 11th level (system concepts).
Can you explain what you mean?

I think you have misunderstood what I wrote,

[From Bjorn Simonsen (2007.12.12,14:45 EUST)]

....But it is neighboring to think upon the level above the level
where we control our perceptions.
There is a problem if we control perceptions on the 11th. level. And so

far

I don't think there is a PCT answer. But we all can philosophize.

For me the Observer is the reference at the level we control. The reference
is the sum of outputs from the level above. Therefore I said it was
neighboring to think upon the level above as the observer, the level above
the level we control our perceptions.
Saying that "there is a problem if/when we control perceptions on the
11th.level" was viewed in the light of that there is no level above. That's
all.

I know that the 11th. level comparators may have their preferred states
stored in their cells. Then the Observer here maybe is a genetic product.
Who knows?

bjorn

Hello Bill,

still I don't understand.

Bill wrote :
"It's only on the top level of physiological functioning that we can expect
sensing of the general status of life-support system to occur."

What did you mean Bill with this top level of physiological functioning ? Is
this equal to 11. level ?

Isn't it occuring the general status of life support system on top level in
the fact sensing the "intrinsic errors" which were not eliminated by lower
level control systems ?

Best,

Boris

For me the Observer is the
reference at the level we control.
[From Bill Powers (2007.12.15.1053 MST)]

Bjorn Simonsen (2007.12.13) --,

But you control at all levels all of the time, don’t you? And how does
the reference signal, traveling in a neural pathway toward lower systems,
“observe” anything? Observing is a process of taking
information inward, not sending something outward. Observing is the sort
of thing an input function does.

Saying that
"there is a problem if/when we control perceptions on the

11th.level" was viewed in the light of that there is no level above.
That’s

all.

Controlling perceptions at the 11th level requires only that there is an
input function, comparator, and output function at the 11th level. There
may be a problem with explaining where the reference signal comes from,
but there are several reasonable possibilities. And reference signals
don’t do any “observing” or “perceiving”, do
they?

Best,

Bill P.

What did you mean Bill with this
top level of physiological functioning ? Is

this equal to 11. level ?
[From Bill Powers (2007.12.15.1100 MST)]

Boris Hartman (2007.12.15.10:26 AM -0600) –

By “physiological functioning” I meant the organ systems and
the biochemical or metabolic functions of cells in the nervous system,
not the neurological signal-processing functions in the brain where the
behavioral hierarchy exists. The top level of the physiological systems
is in the pituitary gland, which receives reference signals from the
hypothalamus and sends its error signals as hormonal reference signals to
all the major organs of the body. Going downward from there, we have the
internal systems of the organs like thyroid, adrenal glands, liver,
pancreas, and so on, and below that we have chemical signaling systems
inside of cells, and still farther down, the DNA and RNA systems where
genes have something to do with controlling the details. I’m too ignorant
of biochemistry to be any more exact than that.

Isn’t it occuring
the general status of life support system on top level in

the fact sensing the “intrinsic errors” which were not
eliminated by lower

level control systems ?

No, in my model the neural systems know nothing of intrinsic error except
how the body feels when such errors exist. The way we feel when we are
hungry, for example, has very little to do with the actual error in the
biochemical systems – a low level of blood glucose, for example. All the
hierarchy knows about the condition of low blood sugar is that it has a
peculiar feeling in the stomach area, or a sensation of cramping, or
perhaps weakness. There is no information in such sensations to say that
the cause is low blood sugar, though we learn that eating makes those
sensations stop. Of course when blood glucose is low, reorganization is
likely to be happening, and it will continue until the blood glucose is
back to normal – at which point those odd sensory signals from the body
will also stop. After a lot of reorganization, the behavioral hierarchy
learns to react appropriately to the sensations before blood glucose has
become low enough to cause reorganization to start, so of course that
organization persists after that point.

I prefer to think of the reorganizing system as working at the same level
as the organ systems, automatically and without conscious direction. That
is because the reorganizing system has to work properly before any higher
organizations can come into existence in the brain, before there is any
knowlege or experience on which to base new behavior. I’m sure there are
some inherited systems that do work a little more intelligently, but I
don’t know what they are and I don’t think there are many of them
compared with the number we acquire later through reorganization and
interaction with the environment.

The system concept level corrects system concept error signals, nothing
else.

That’s my story and I’m stuck with it*.

Best,

Bill P.

*For readers not fully acquainted with English idioms, that’s a play on
words. One old saying is, “That’s my story and I’ll stick to
it,” meaning I won’t change it. But saying “I’m stuck with
it” carries a different meaning – it means I can’t get rid of it
even if I want to. The past participle of stick is stuck. Having become
stuck is what keeps you from getting loose from something. Being
“stuck with the bill” means that everyone else eating lunch
with you disappeared, leaving you to pay the bill. I’m stuck with my
story about reorganization because I can’t think of another one that
works better (even if I wish I could).

[From Bjorn Simonsen (2007.12.16,13:20 EUST)]
from Bill Powers (2007.12.15.1053 MST)

But you control at all levels all of the time, don't you?

Yes, but I am not aware of the controls above. In my consciousness they
exist just in my words.

And how does the reference signal, traveling in a neural
pathway toward lower systems, "observe" anything?

It doesn't observe anything. It thrusts in the human system, the negative
feedback will contribute to that.

Observing is a process of taking information inward,
not sending something outward. Observing is the sort
of thing an input function does.

Yes, but that is not the point. Without a reference I would not been able to
experience the Observers "idea". I am not saying the Observer is responsible
for my references. It is responsible for the System. And in my
thoughts/words/hypothesis the System is my only way to the Observer. The
great Why is always a level up. When I pray, I "move" my awareness (I don't
know what that the awareness is) to control (most often) elements of
praiseworthy perceptions.
Easy now. I know I both perceive and action in praiseworthy and spankworthy
ways, but that is another thing.

Let me exemplify. If you are the Observer and you make a Price Theory
simulator, then your idea is found as a reference for the highest level. I
think the real Observer thinks the same way.
PS. My Price Theory simulator is running, but not well enough.

Controlling perceptions at the 11th level requires only that
there is an input function, comparator, and output function
at the 11th level. There may be a problem with explaining
where the reference signal comes from, but there are several
reasonable possibilities.

I don't think I have problems explaining where the reference comes from, but
my explanation is philosophical.
After fertilization and cell division, some of the new cells are neurons at
the 12. level. The dendrites are able to record happenings in cells and
signals from the axon are able to start up other happenings (I don't know
what happenings).
http://ucmm.cs.it-norr.com/default.asp?id=1470&TID=&efid=1324

As the extern world, relative to the first neurons, grows, the top level
neurons (the first neurons) contact new lower level neurons to manage the
growing extern world, the body. About 100 days after fertilization (I don't
know when) the neurons called sensing cells start to manage the world
outside the body and one of the first 11th. level System Concept neurons
control the unit of mother and child.

And reference signals don't do any "observing" or "perceiving", do they?

Not relative to PCT, nor relative to anything.

bjorn

Hello Bill,

I have a short question ? :slight_smile:

Bill wrote :
By "physiological functioning" I meant the organ systems and the biochemical
or metabolic functions of cells in the nervous system, not the neurological
signal-processing functions in the brain where the behavioral hierarchy
exists. The top level of the physiological systems is in the pituitary
gland, which receives reference signals from the hypothalamus and sends its
error signals as hormonal reference signals to all the major organs of the
body. Going downward from there, we have the internal systems of the organs
like thyroid, adrenal glands, liver, pancreas, and so on, and below that we
have chemical signaling systems inside of cells, and still farther down, the
DNA and RNA systems where genes have something to do with controlling the
details. I'm too ignorant of biochemistry to be any more exact than that.

Boris wrote :
What interests me is, can we say that what you described as "physiological
functioning" are "reference condition" in control hierarchy or part of it ?

Best,

Boris

What interests me is, can we say
that what you described as "physiological

functioning" are “reference condition” in control
hierarchy or part of it ?
[From Bill Powers (2007.12.19.1330 MST)]

Boris Hartman (01:03 PM 12/19/2007 -0600) –

No, I haven’t been thinking of them as part of the behavioral hierarchy.
The pituitary gland, at the top of the biochemical hierarchy (maybe
that’s a better term, though the autonomic nervous system may belong
there, too) receives its reference signals from the hypothalamus, which
seems to be at about the same level as the brainstem, where second-order
behavioral systems in the hierarchy probably are. So the pituitary is
parallel with the first-order behavioral systems, and the rest of the
physiological hierarchy, biochemical rather than neural in nature,
extends downward from there – at least two levels but maybe more, to the
DNA/RNA level.

As far as the behavioral hierarchy is concerned, the biochemical systems
are just another part of the environment, though they happen to exist
inside the skin.

I am ignoring possible biochemical effects on the neurons that make up
the behavioral-neural hierarchy. I don’t know what to do about them. Wait
for some evidence, I suppose.

best,

Bill P.

Hello Bill,

I have some more questions...

Boris wrote :
What interests me is, can we say that what you described as "physiological
functioning" are "reference condition" in control hierarchy or part of it ?

Bill wrote :
No, I haven't been thinking of them as part of the behavioral hierarchy.

Boris wrote :
How can we imagine then explanation of evolutionary development of control
hierarchy ? How then control of small organisms work, like ameba for example
? Isn't it PCT the theory of all living beings ? What is then intrinsic error ?

Boris Hartman (2007.12.20)

[From Bill Powers (2007.12.20.1444 MST)]

Bill wrote :

No, I haven’t been thinking of them as part of the behavioral
hierarchy.

Boris wrote :

How can we imagine then explanation of evolutionary development of
control

hierarchy ?

I see evolution and reorganization as two different processes. Evolution
may work mostly by natural selection. Out of evolution came the ability
to reorganize, so a single organisnm could change itself without having
to die first.

How then control of
small organisms work, like ameba for example

? Isn’t it PCT the theory of all living beings ? What is then intrinsic
error ?

I don’t know if amoebas and other single-celled organisms can reorganize.

Their capacity to learn new behaviors must be very limited compared with
a human being.

I’m attaching an old paper on “The origins of purpose” which
you may not have read.

Best,

Bill P.

origins.doc (168 KB)

···

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.17.4/1189 - Release Date:
12/18/2007 9:40 PM

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.17.4/1189 - Release Date:
12/18/2007 9:40 PM