New article on PCT

Dear CSG,

I am hoping this is the kind of article we can make a fuss about and send to out non-PCT colleagues and friends to open their eyes…

Please circulate!

Please email me direct if you want any more details.

···

A perceptual control revolution?

Warren Mansell and Timothy A. Carey introduce a theory dating back to the 1950s that is increasingly touted as revitalising the behavioural sciences.

William T. Powers’ perceptual control theory claims to offer principles applicable to the behaviour of all living things, yet it has received only modest attention from the behavioural sciences. Moreover, the theory describes the architecture required to model purposeful behaviour with mathematical models and robotic systems. How can a single theory be applied to diverse fields such as human performance, robotics, neuroscience, animal behaviour, sociology and mental health? Why does it pose a challenge to existing approaches? Can the search for ‘causes’ of behaviour across these domains be replaced by a single, universal property of organisms: action as the control of sensory input?

Interested in writing a letter about this article?

psychologist@bps.org.uk

https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-28/november-2015/perceptual-control-revolution

Access is restricted. If I send someone the link, what do they need to do to read the paper? Become a BPS member? Subscribe?

BPS Members get instant access to this article

Already a member? Or Create an account

Not a member? Find out about becoming a member or subscriber

···

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Warren Mansell wmansell@gmail.com wrote:

Dear CSG,

I am hoping this is the kind of article we can make a fuss about and send to out non-PCT colleagues and friends to open their eyes…

Please circulate!

Warren Mansell and Timothy A. Carey introduce a theory dating back to the 1950s that is increasingly touted as revitalising the behavioural sciences.

William T. Powers’ perceptual control theory claims to offer principles applicable to the behaviour of all living things, yet it has received only modest attention from the behavioural sciences. Moreover, the theory describes the architecture required to model purposeful behaviour with mathematical models and robotic systems. How can a single theory be applied to diverse fields such as human performance, robotics, neuroscience, animal behaviour, sociology and mental health? Why does it pose a challenge to existing approaches? Can the search for ‘causes’ of behaviour across these domains be replaced by a single, universal property of organisms: action as the control of sensory input?

psychologist@bps.org.uk

https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/volume-28/november-2015/perceptual-control-revolution

Hi Warren,

How can I get the whole article ? It’s a pitty. It would be really nice if you would citate or keep Bill as the only reference. So I think that omitiing Bill is a cause for troubles in the beggining.

My oppinion is that Universal property of organisms are not : actions as the control of sensory input ?

It would be better if you would just copy-paste what role of actions is in the diagram you presented. It’s clearly written that actions are converted effects on input quantity. So actions are affecting sensory input and changing it. There is nothing else needed.

Best,

Boris

···

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:09 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Cc: Tim Carey
Subject: New article on PCT

Dear CSG,

Please circulate!

psychologist@bps.org.uk

Nice but I can’t access it. I’m not a member of the society.

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:09 PM

Dear CSG,

Please circulate!

psychologist@bps.org.uk

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.28.0845)]

···

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us wrote:

Fred Nickols

RM: This link will get you to a copy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlp0vlmq3xtd2ex/1115mans.pdf?dl=0

Best

Rick

Dear CSG,

Please circulate!

**Warren Mansell and Timothy A. Carey introduce a theory dating back to the 1950s that is increasingly touted as revitalising the behavioural sciences. **

psychologist@bps.org.uk

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[Martin Taylor 2015.10.28.17.03]

When I downloaded it from the dropbox link Rick provided, the copy

was crisp and clean. Maybe you have some hidden setting such as
pixels per inch that I have differently set?
Martin

···

On 2015/10/28 4:55 PM, John Kirkland
wrote:

Is there any chance of having a non-smudged,

non-blurred copy of Warren and Tim’s recent article being made
available via www?
Unfortunately, the copy I obtained from the cited site is
unreadable.

The full formal reference citation would be helpful too.

Best

Rick

Is there any chance of having a non-smudged, non-blurred copy of Warren and Tim’s recent article being made available via www?
Unfortunately, the copy I obtained from the cited site is unreadable.

Ta

···

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 4:45 AM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2015.10.28.0845)]

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 11:01 AM, Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us wrote:

Fred Nickols

Best

Rick

Dear CSG,

Please circulate!

**Warren Mansell and Timothy A. Carey introduce a theory dating back to the 1950s that is increasingly touted as revitalising the behavioural sciences. **

psychologist@bps.org.uk

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

Ah, yes, thanks Martin, done; from Dropbox is fine. An alternative download is not recommended.

BTW, I did like your control/command distinction. I pondered: ten commandments and then a variety of control attempts, many of which have become embedded in formal rituals.

Cheers

JohnK

···

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Martin Taylor mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net wrote:

[Martin Taylor 2015.10.28.17.03]

On 2015/10/28 4:55 PM, John Kirkland

wrote:

Is there any chance of having a non-smudged,

non-blurred copy of Warren and Tim’s recent article being made
available via www?
Unfortunately, the copy I obtained from the cited site is
unreadable.

When I downloaded it from the dropbox link Rick provided, the copy

was crisp and clean. Maybe you have some hidden setting such as
pixels per inch that I have differently set?

Martin

Best

Rick