PCT and economics: an emergency

[Martin Taylor 2008.12.06.12.28]

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.0944 MST)]

Brooks is mired in neo-con ignorance. He's kind of genial and he tries to be funny. But he's so far from understanding how the economy (or anything else) works it's not funny at all. It's Brooks and his ilk who got us into this catastrophe in the first place. If they had any intellectual (or any other kind of) integrity at all they would commit hari kari.

Could you pick some examples of that out of his article and analze what is wrong with them? Not having read the article yet, I don't know what it is that you're objecting to.

So far as I can see, most of the article is spot-on. Brooks quite correctly points out that a lot of the problem is the human tendency to perceive what we want to perceive (as we have discussed here from time to time) and that this tendency leads us into problems. He argues that it has been wrong of economists to work on the basis that humans rationally analyse a situation so as to act in their best interest, and that it is more important to understand how people perceive complex situations, especially when they have an interest in one or other perception being accurate. I see nothing objectionable in any of that.

I suspect that what set Rick off was (1) the use of "Then" in Brooks' first paragraph: "Roughly speaking, there are four steps to every decision. First, you perceive a situation. Then you think of possible courses of action. Then you calculate which course is in your best interest. Then you take the action.", and (2) the term "behavioural economics" which sounds like behaviourist psychology but isn't -- it's economics based on the way people really behave, at least as I understand it.

I see nothing in what Brooks wrote to say one way or the other that he subscribes to the TOTE view that you must see the result of one action before beginning the next cycle. If you assume that the person is perceiving and considering and acting all the time, what he wrote is quite consistent with PCT. The theories of the people he mentions may not be, but I can't tell that from reading the article. As for what level of perceptual control is primary, he certainly puts it at logic or above, but who knows where the truth lies in that?

As for Brooks being a neo-con, I wonder if Rick has ever watched him on the PBS News Hour? He may lean toward the Republican, but I don't see it as a very big tilt. Maybe what he writes in the NY Times is different, but you can't tell it by this article.

Martin

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.0946 MST)]

Rick Marken (2008.12.05.1740) --

I think CSGNet is a clear demonstration of how ineffective education can be. And I don't think you'd have a lot of luck passing a law like that -- even _I_ would vote against it.

OK, so what would you suggest as something that might have the desired effect? I don't have any useful ideas yet, which is why I'm pushing for this modeling effort. Nobody actually understands the economy, and without a working model to study I don't really see how anyone could.

No, I think policies like unemployment, negative income tax, retraining and progressive taxation have been shown to work just fine.

How does unemployment work as a policy? Word left out? Anyway ...

Then why is the system still malfunctioning? The problem is that you can't fix what is wrong in a system just by injecting more of a variable or removing some of a variable. That just makes you into part of the system and you have to keep doing whatever you're doing, because as soon as you stop, the system will go back to the way it was (this applies to Doug Samuelson's suggestions about injecting more money, too). And you can't find the right thing to do just by looking at one part of the system. The system is as it is because of its properties, and if you don't change its properties you're not fixing it. But what happens if you change a property of the system? Everything else will be changed and all the variables will go to new values, or new behaviors. I can't do that kind of predicting in my head. Maybe you can, but I need a model to look at.

I think our economic problem come not from people not knowing what to do -- history provides a nice model of what to do -- it comes from some people just being very, very greedy.

That answer just addresses the surface, the effects. Something is wrong with people who can't get enough of anything. That's not how a properly functioning control system works. And trait psychology is not up to the job of explaining behavior, is it? He's poor because he's lazy; he's rich because he's greedy; and so on. Those descriptions of traits are dormitive principles; they don't explain anything.

The problem here is that being very, very, greedy is very, very stupid, because being greedy in this situation gets you less of what you want, not more. You don't need to argue people into believing this; one great advantage of a crisis is that everyone can see it happening -- you don't have to make them believe in your predictions.

But it would help a great deal if you had a working model of the system and could explain each part convincingly, then turn it on and show what happens. That's what I mean by education, not trying to make people believe things just because you say they're true.

Jay Forrester of System Dynamics fame could no doubt come up with a convincing model, but the trouble I've had with the SD models I've seen is that they have no human agents in them with goals and the ability to act on the environment to achieve them. The systems in SD models tend to be abstract systems seen from the outside with properties that are mainly guesses without any first principles behind them. The modeling itself is fine; I've used Vensim to put together a number of PCT models and it is an admirable program (I checked my own program's method of fitting a model to data against Bob Eberlein's method in Vensim because his works so well). But I want a model that is built on the control-system properties of individuals, not on arbitrary relationships that have nothing behind them and float somewhere in the air between people. That's too abstract for this thick-skulled engineer.

Last: I don't see anythning admirable about being pessimistic. Or optimistic. Why not just put one foot in front of the other and get the job done?

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1059 MST)]

Bruce Nevin
(2008.12.05.2008 EST)

Maybe there’s an
opportunity to participate in this incursion into the entrenched view of
things:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/opinion/28brooks.html

Sure, the writer
of this op-ed piece is mired in CogPsych TOTE thinking, and the term
“behavioralist economics” pushes a rhetorical hot button for
any PCTer well schooled in the proper status of behaviorism (the
similarity is only lexical), but there’s more going on here–and they
have Obama’s ear.

I’ve been thinking about how to get Obama’s ear, and am looking into the
“Your seat at the table” stuff the transition team has been
putting out on the web. The problem is to find someone with a relatively
audible voice (from Obama’s position) but who does not get so many
communications that ours will disappear into an ocean of posts. The
“seat at the table” idea is setting up local meetings in
people’s homes, presumably with the purpose of gathering opinions and
ideas that will be sifted and relayed to the next level, with the best
ones ultimately getting to the top. I think that has a better chance than
going straight to the higher levels where the blizzard of input is too
dense to see through.

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1107 MST)]

This crisis is evidence that those policies haven't worked. There was no reason for the crisis to move from wall street to main street other than that the system was setup wrong. We have a system so incompetent that it doesn't even know how to print money in the face of a multi-trillion dollar deflation. Our current system depends upon stimulating the very credit and leverage instability that produces the crisis. Gettting banks to lend to consumers who might be poor credit risks due to possible layoffs is made more difficult by consumers who don't want take on more debt when their jobs are insecure. So the Federal Reserve lowers interest rates, further lowering incentives to save for a people already accused of having the lowest savings rate in the world. It has all been likened to pushing on a string.

"Policies" are properties of a system that determine what action will be taken when certain situations are perceived relative to the reference conditions that are desired to be perceived (to introduce a little PCT, since that is the focus of this list). I agree with the tenor of your post, which is that the relationships among variables in this system are not set up in a good way, and need to be changed. If the system were revised so that money was automatically supplied to those who need it in exactly the quantity needed, the system would obviously start working differently -- but I hesitate to guess at all the consequences, since we have no verifiable model of the economy in which to try this out, except the economy itself. Do we want to risk that?

The Federal Reserve should just print money the new fangled way, issue everybody debit cards and deposit money into their accounts.

What would happen if that were done? Do you really know? I suspect you're right, but I don't know how to show that this would work. I can work out the relationships in the system one at a time fairly well (up to the limit of my knowledge, which is not vast), but I can't put them all together and see what the overall result would be. There are too many closed loops, too many things happening at once. I can't solve that many simultaneous equations in my head. Can you?

By the way, who are you and where are you coming from? Welcome to CSGnet, of course. Note our customary header in brackets at the top of the text, to warn people about who's talking and provide a handy way of referring to the post.

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 01:59 AM 12/6/2008 +0000, Martin Lewitt wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2008.12.06.1030)]

Quick note: This was the headline in today’s LA Times

3-month job toll: 1.25 million
Losses threaten to create a self-sustaining downward cycle

Seems like the positive feedback effect of layoffs on layoffs is not completely unknown.

Bill Powers (2008.12.06.0946 MST)–

Rick Marken (2008.12.05.1740) –

I think CSGNet is a clear demonstration of how ineffective education can be. And I don’t think you’d have a lot of luck passing a law like that – even I would vote against it.

OK, so what would you suggest as something that might have the desired effect?

It looks like Obama plans to do what I would suggest: a massive infrastructure investment program. I would just hope that he also repeals the Bush tax cuts as soon as he gets in and implements his own tax program, which makes a lot of sense, with the addition of much higher marginal tax rates – say 80% – on those making more than, say, $10,000,000. Just like in the good old days. Besides massive government spending the other thing that really gets an economy stabilized is reducing taxes on the poor and middle class and increasing them on the wealthy. Hopefully, Obama will not fall for the myth that increasing taxes on the wealthy is “bad” for the economy.

No, I think policies like unemployment, negative income tax, retraining and progressive taxation have been shown to work just fine.

How does unemployment work as a policy? Word left out? Anyway …

Yes, I meant “unemployment insurance” of course.

Then why is the system still malfunctioning?

Right now I think it’s malfuncitoning due to continuing leakage due to wealth inequality. I predicted this crisis as soon as Bush came in and started transferring wealth from the poor to the rich. The crisis was delayed because the aggregate consumer was able to make up for the leakage through borrowing. It seemed to me that this borrowing would eventually have to come to an end and, indeed, it has. The system was functioning pretty well from FDR’s time until Reagan came in and started the wealth transfer from the bottom to the top. The source of our current problem is maldistribution of wealth, as it was in the 1920s.

By the way, I think I know where the leakage disappears to: the stock market. Something like a trillion dollars in “wealth” disappeared in just a couple months.

The problem is that you can’t fix what is wrong in a system just by injecting more of a variable or removing some of a variable.

I agree. The solution is to redistribute wealth: spread the wealth, as Obama said. Hopefully, he will make it happen. If not, we’ll end up like a very well armed Mexico.

Last: I don’t see anythning admirable about being pessimistic. Or optimistic. Why not just put one foot in front of the other and get the job done?

Because I’m working on other things and my experience with working with economists has not been pleasant.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[From Martin Lewitt (2008.12.06.1326 MST]

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1107 MST)]

>This crisis is evidence that those policies haven't worked. There
>was no reason for the crisis to move from wall street to main street
>other than that the system was setup wrong. We have a system so
>incompetent that it doesn't even know how to print money in the face
>of a multi-trillion dollar deflation. Our current system depends
>upon stimulating the very credit and leverage instability that
>produces the crisis. Gettting banks to lend to consumers who might
>be poor credit risks due to possible layoffs is made more difficult
>by consumers who don't want take on more debt when their jobs are
>insecure. So the Federal Reserve lowers interest rates, further
>lowering incentives to save for a people already accused of having
>the lowest savings rate in the world. It has all been likened to
>pushing on a string.

"Policies" are properties of a system that determine what action will
be taken when certain situations are perceived relative to the
reference conditions that are desired to be perceived (to introduce a
little PCT, since that is the focus of this list). I agree with the
tenor of your post, which is that the relationships among variables
in this system are not set up in a good way, and need to be changed.
If the system were revised so that money was automatically supplied
to those who need it in exactly the quantity needed, the system would
obviously start working differently -- but I hesitate to guess at all
the consequences, since we have no verifiable model of the economy in
which to try this out, except the economy itself. Do we want to risk that?

>The Federal Reserve should just print money the new fangled way,
>issue everybody debit cards and deposit money into their accounts.

What would happen if that were done? Do you really know? I suspect
you're right, but I don't know how to show that this would work. I
can work out the relationships in the system one at a time fairly
well (up to the limit of my knowledge, which is not vast), but I
can't put them all together and see what the overall result would be.
There are too many closed loops, too many things happening at once. I
can't solve that many simultaneous equations in my head. Can you?

I know that this system would have the power to get the error in price
stability targeting onto the inflation side, something the current credit
based system has failed to do. And, in a nonlinear system, of course,
I don't know what would happen, the danger is runaway inflation, and
perhaps oscillating and overshooting attempts to control it. The Fed
would be able to push out money on the debit card end and reel it in
on the interest rate/bank reserve end.

I wouldn't complicate things further by trying to put money where it is
most needed, even just distributing it equally would be better able to
avoid the contraction of the money supply than the current system.
If one is concerned about fairness, it doesn't seem particularly fair,
and perhaps even regressive to target people who are in a position
to purchase a house or auto. When the money is distributed in
the debit card manner, it is the consumers who pick the winners and
losers, and banks and auto companies must compete for their
business. Parts of the economy will reinflate at differentially. I
suspect the stock market will recover the quickests since the prospects
of demand for most consumer items improves immediately. Even
a trillion dollars amounts to about $4000 for every man, woman and
child. Housing prices won't immediately recover, but default rates
will probably go down based on immediate ability to pay, and the
perception of likely recovery. While the advantage over the current
system of "pushing on a string" is clear. The current crises have
dyanmics, that hopefully would have been avoided altogether.
If the creation of the money supply was this direct, instead of
credit and lower interest rate based, the bubbles that differentially
impact the housing and securities market could theoretically have
been avoided.

For some reason, foreign economies are more than happy to allow
the benefits of dollar creation to largely accrue to US banks. Would
they be any less likely to honor those dollars which have allowed
China for instance to experience double digit growth, if they were just
handed out via debit cards to every American? Perhaps there would
be a perceived unfairness, or a part of the system that was previously
obscure would become overexposed. The balance of trade deficit
would eventually have to come back into balance. Shipping paper and
receiving hard goods in return is just too good to be true for long.

By the way, who are you and where are you coming from? Welcome to
CSGnet, of course. Note our customary header in brackets at the top
of the text, to warn people about who's talking and provide a handy
way of referring to the post.

Best,

Bill P.

I hope I got the header right. I was a triple major in physics, economics
and philosophy, who has done graduate work in computer science
and business, and has been published in computational chemistry.
I've spent about 30 years in supporting scientific applications on
parallel computers, currently supporting gene search codes and climate
models.

I have a long standing interest in the theory of the great depression, and
was strongly influenced by a dissertation on the history of theory of
the great depression I read in graduate school, so I am a little disappointed
that Bernanke hasn't lived up better to his Hellicopter Ben reputation.

I was introduced to PCT a few months ago, and will come at things
skeptically if they don't fit into evolutionary and neural network
paradigms.

regards,
    Martin

···

-------------- Original message ----------------------

At 01:59 AM 12/6/2008 +0000, Martin Lewitt wrote:

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1302 MST)]

Rick Marken (2008.12.06.1030) –

Then why is the system still malfunctioning?

Right now I think it’s malfuncitoning due to continuing leakage due to
wealth inequality.

Does your model show that if more money were taken from the rich and
given to the poor on a regular basis, the present problems would be
cured?

The problem is that right now, I have no reason to believe what you said
other than that you’re a smart guy and have done some economic modeling.
I haven’t actually seen a model (that I could accept) running,
demonstrating that what you say is right. And no matter how much I like
you, I’m not going to accept what you tell me just to be nice. I don’t
even accept what I say until I have a model that agrees with it (which
means that I often say things that I wouldn’t defend very strongly).

I predicted this crisis as
soon as Bush came in and started transferring wealth from the poor to the
rich.

Well, you were right, but was that luck or was it a solid prediction from
a model you could demonstrate? Predicting right doesn’t mean much unless
you show how you did it, and show us some reason to think you could do it
again. Don’t make the gambler’s mistake of thinking that winning shows
that you’re smart.

The crisis was delayed because
the aggregate consumer was able to make up for the leakage through
borrowing. It seemed to me that this borrowing would eventually have to
come to an end and, indeed, it has. The system was functioning pretty
well from FDR’s time until Reagan came in and started the wealth transfer
from the bottom to the top. The source of our current problem is
maldistribution of wealth, as it was in the 1920s.

Sounds very wise, but I’m not impressed. If the crisis had happened right
away, you could explain that the consumer borrowing caused it to happen
faster than it would have if people hadn’t gone into debt. Predicting a
crisis is like saying “It’s going to rain.” Of course it’s
going to rain, but that doesn’t mean anything unless you say WHEN. You
can always fill in plausible reasons after the event has happened. Let’s
see a real quantitative prediction from a well-constructed model tested
by showing that it handles past events correctly. And let us see it
before we know the result.

By the way, I think I know where
the leakage disappears to: the stock market. Something like a trillion
dollars in “wealth” disappeared in just a couple
months.

So when the stock market rises, more wealth is appearing? I thought banks
were the ones who create and destroy money. If you buy a stock and its
price goes down, no money has been destroyed; the guy who sold you the
stock certificate has it. Same holds if you buy a tomato and eat it. You
haven’t destroyed any money, just a tomato. You may have destroyed your
plans for future uses of the stock certificate or the tomato, but that’s
not destroying money. Leakage is destruction of money.

The problem is that you can’t fix what is wrong in a system just by
injecting more of a variable or removing some of a variable.

I agree. The solution is to redistribute wealth: spread the wealth, as
Obama said.

But that is just moving quantitites of a variable from one place to
another. If you add a function to the system design that does this
continuously, or does it automatically as a function of other system
variables, you’ve altered the properties of the system, and we could make
the same change in our model and see if it predicts the result correctly.
But without having that model, how do you know what the effect of wealth
redistribution would be? Wouldn’t it be better to test that idea in a
model before actually trying it out in the real economy?

Last: I don’t see anythning admirable about being pessimistic. Or
optimistic. Why not just put one foot in front of the other and get the
job done?

Because I’m working on other things and my experience with working with
economists has not been pleasant.

Oh. Well, is anyone else here interested in doing anything with
this?

Best,

Bill

[From Martin Lewitt 2008 1206.1340mst]
regarding: [From Rick Marken (2008.12.06.1030)]

Richard, you appear to be assuming that wealth is static, and ignoring the fact that redistributing it from the wealthy to the poor would make it even more static by shift the allocation from investment to consumption. Even Marx appreciated that wealth wasn't static and that deferring consumption and investing in research and capital equipment increased the productivity of labor and the total wealth in the long run.

from FDR to Reagan is from more than 20% unemployment in 1937 to Jimmy Carters double digit inflation in 1979. You also should cut Reagan some slack since before he even came into office, instead of waiting for Reagan to try is idea of producing our way out of the inflation, Paul Volcker instead decided the way to "break the inflation psychology" was a $500 billion dollar recession. That was back when $500 billion was real money.

Since then I admit that labor has gotten the short end of the stick, but I see two reasons for that. The federal reserve was for some reason viewed increases in labor as more inflationary than increases in other prices, and so would clamp down when some of the returns from increased productivity started to accrue to labor. The Fed is not supposed to favor allocating the returns to capital rather than labor. The second reason is globalization, the rise of productive middle classes in China and India resulted in a huge overhang of labor on the market that made it difficult for American labor to capture some of the gains in productivity. However, labor in China and India did, and the total wealth and the distribution of it did increase from a world wide perspective. There was more wealth and more people escaping poverty than ever before. You can take the narrow view that American workers didn't benefit, but I'm not into identity politics.

Your redistributionist scheme would take a system that already punishes savings and investment in the future, and make it more so, by having central planners in the government do nearly all the investment. You should read F.A. Hayek's "The Road to Serfdom", especially the chapter on why the worst always seem to rise to the top.

-- regards,
          Martin

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1335 MST)]

You mention that you're a skeptic. Good, so am I. We ought to get along with each other just fine. I asked

> What would happen if that were done? Do you really know? I suspect
> you're right, but I don't know how to show that this would work. I
> can work out the relationships in the system one at a time fairly
> well (up to the limit of my knowledge, which is not vast), but I
> can't put them all together and see what the overall result would be.
> There are too many closed loops, too many things happening at once. I
> can't solve that many simultaneous equations in my head. Can you?

and you said

based system has failed to do ...

So, both of us being skeptics, you'll understand that when you say the preceding, I have to ask "How do you know that?" Won't giving a lot of people money have some effects other than causing more goods to be bought? But whatever the answer, I want to know how you know it's right.

I think you'd like my late father's book, "Leakage: the bleeding of the
American economy" (Benchmark Publications, see Amazon). He claimed that there was never any episode of money inflation in the 20th Century -- that the biggest drag on the economy has been loss of buying power from the circular flow to the tune of about 7% per year, according to the historical record. He said that the cure was to print more money, and that it wouldn't cause inflation. He was a research chemist who got interested in economics late in life.

And, in a nonlinear system, of course,

Fine, but if you've been reading my recent posts you know what I'm going to say. Plug those features into your economic model and let me see it running on my computer. Then I'll believe you. You haven't mentioned any effect of this change on things other than inflation and perhaps economic growth rate. A good model will show all the important effects and relationships, so when you change anything, it will show all the important consequences. I'd like to see that.

business.

Yes, I like that and my father would have, too. But I still don't know if it's right. There are only two ways to find out, other than with a time machine.
Try it out for real and see what happens, or develop a solid model that predicts correctly with historical data, and run it to see what happens without hurting real people. I think it will be politically easier (and more humanitarian) to develop the model and do it that way.

I hope I got the header right.

Perfect.

I was a triple major in physics, economics

Ah, there's your problem! If you studied economics and business, then you know a lot of things that ain't so. I assume you don't think that economists and businessmen got together and worked out how the system operates, and used this knowledge to put us where we are today. In my opinion, business and economic principles are based largely on superstitions (in the technical sense -- belief in causal relationships that are actually just coincidences or side-effects).

Just testing you, you know.

What I've decided to push for these days is not any economic plan or proposal about what to do. I'm hoping to take advantage of the current mess to persuade those in a position to do something that we need to bear down on trying to understand how the economy really works, and construct a valid model that we can use to test proposals about what should be done. I'm trying to take our approach up a level or two. This means a model that is not based on any current or past economic theory, but which provides a framework within which any economic model can be tested.

models.

Neat. Good stuff. You'll probably appreciate my new book, which is in press right now -- it's organized around computer models demonstrating the principles of PCT, with a disk included. My publisher, who is also my sister, will probably be making the big announcement on CSGnet any time now.

the great depression I read in graduate school, so I am a little disappointed that Bernanke hasn't lived up better to his Hellicopter Ben reputation.

Oops, there you go again. I'm just a hard-headed physicist/engineer and don't know any of this economic or political insider stuff. Before you do that sort of thing, consider explaining it to the unannointed.

It might be very nice to have you aboard, and who knows, you might enjoy it, too.

paradigms.

We shall see. Get hold of the new book, which not only has the demos in it, but the source code, too.

Best,

Bill P.

[I sign myself Bill P to distinguish myself from other Bills who have been on
CSGnet or might yet show up]

Hi Bill:
Have these ideas been shared with the Obama-Biden Transition Team? Below is a copy of an email I got from them:
Peace
Dave London
Everyday, we meet with organizations that present ideas for the Transition and the incoming Obama-Biden Administration. In past transitions, meetings like this have been held behind closed doors.

Not anymore. Today, every Obama-Biden Transition staff member received a memo outlining the "Seat at the Table" Transparency Policy. I've included a copy of it below.

The policy is pretty simple: the people and groups we're meeting with, the subjects of the meetings, and any documents shared in the meetings will now be made available on Change.gov <http://change.gov/page/m2/3855d405/6857517b/2bb00759/5e6bcb1f/1184143046/VEsE/&gt;\. Most importantly, the American public can weigh in with comments or their own materials.

*Read the memo and watch our "Seat at the Table" video:* <http://change.gov/page/m2/3855d405/6857517b/2bb00759/5e6bcb1e/1184143046/VEsF/&gt;

Watch the Video <http://change.gov/page/m2/3855d405/6857517b/2bb00759/5e6bcb1e/1184143046/VEsC/&gt;

This is our latest step toward a more transparent and accessible Transition. We look forward to benefiting from the many more voices that will now be a part of the decision-making process.

Thank you,

John

John D. Podesta
Co-chair
The Obama-Biden Transition Project

···

------------------------------------------------------------------------
*MEMORANDUM*
To: All Obama-Biden Transition Project Staff
Date: December 4, 2008
Re: "Seat at the Table" Transparency Policy -- EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY

*Overview:*
As an extension of the unprecedented ethics guidelines already in place for the Obama-Biden Transition Project, we take another significant step towards transparency of our efforts for the American people. Every day, we meet with organizations who present ideas for the Transition and the Administration, both orally and in writing. We want to ensure that we give the American people a "seat at the table" and that we receive the benefit of their feedback.

Accordingly, any documents from official meetings with outside organizations will be posted on our website for people to review and comment on. In addition to presenting ideas as individuals at www.change.gov, the American people deserve a "seat at the table" as we receive input from organizations and make decisions. In the interest of protecting the personal privacy of individuals, this policy does not apply to personnel matters and hiring recommendations.

*Scope:*
The following information will be posted on our website:
1. Documents: All policy documents^1 and written policy recommendations from official meetings^2 with outside organizations.
2. Meetings: The date and organizations represented at official meetings in the Transition headquarters or agency offices, with any documents presented as noted above.

This scope is a floor, not a ceiling, and all staff are strongly encouraged to include additional materials. Such materials could include documents (recommendations, press releases, etc.) presented in smaller meetings or materials or made public by the outside organization without a connection to an official meeting.

If you have any questions as to whether documents should be included, please email [REDACTED].

*Process:*
Prior to an official meeting with an outside organization or organizations, Obama-Biden Transition Project staff members will inform attendees that any documents provided will be posted on our "Seat at the Table" website found at www.change.gov. Suggested language for email invitations is: "By presenting or submitting any document at a meeting with the Obama-Biden Transition Project, you agree to allow the document to be made public and posted on www.change.gov." At the completion of each meeting or upon receipt of such documents, Transition staff will provide the documents to [REDACTED] with the date of the meeting, a list of the organizations in attendance, and the topic of the meeting.

Notes:
1) This policy does not apply to non-public or classified information acquired from the Agency Review Process and internal memorandum.
2) An "official meeting" is defined as a meeting with outside organizations or representatives of those organizations to which three or more outside participants attend.

Copyright policy <http://change.gov/page/m2/3855d405/6857517b/2bb00759/5e6bcb1d/1184143046/VEsD/&gt;

This email was sent to: dtlondon@comcast.net

To unsubscribe, go to: http://www.change.gov/unsubscribe <http://change.gov/page/m2/3855d405/6857517b/2bb00759/5e6bcb1c/1184143046/VEsA/&gt;

Bill Powers wrote:

You mention that you're a skeptic. Good, so am I. We ought to get along with each other just fine. I asked

> What would happen if that were done? Do you really know? I suspect
> you're right, but I don't know how to show that this would work. I
> can work out the relationships in the system one at a time fairly
> well (up to the limit of my knowledge, which is not vast), but I
> can't put them all together and see what the overall result would be.
> There are too many closed loops, too many things happening at once. I
> can't solve that many simultaneous equations in my head. Can you?

and you said

based system has failed to do ...

So, both of us being skeptics, you'll understand that when you say the preceding, I have to ask "How do you know that?" Won't giving a lot of people money have some effects other than causing more goods to be bought? But whatever the answer, I want to know how you know it's right.

American economy" (Benchmark Publications, see Amazon). He claimed that there was never any episode of money inflation in the 20th Century -- that the biggest drag on the economy has been loss of buying power from the circular flow to the tune of about 7% per year, according to the historical record. He said that the cure was to print more money, and that it wouldn't cause inflation. He was a research chemist who got interested in economics late in life.

And, in a nonlinear system, of course,

Fine, but if you've been reading my recent posts you know what I'm going to say. Plug those features into your economic model and let me see it running on my computer. Then I'll believe you. You haven't mentioned any effect of this change on things other than inflation and perhaps economic growth rate. A good model will show all the important effects and relationships, so when you change anything, it will show all the important consequences. I'd like to see that.

business.

Yes, I like that and my father would have, too. But I still don't know if it's right. There are only two ways to find out, other than with a time machine.
Try it out for real and see what happens, or develop a solid model that predicts correctly with historical data, and run it to see what happens without hurting real people. I think it will be politically easier (and more humanitarian) to develop the model and do it that way.

I hope I got the header right.

Perfect.

I was a triple major in physics, economics

Ah, there's your problem! If you studied economics and business, then you know a lot of things that ain't so. I assume you don't think that economists and businessmen got together and worked out how the system operates, and used this knowledge to put us where we are today. In my opinion, business and economic principles are based largely on superstitions (in the technical sense -- belief in causal relationships that are actually just coincidences or side-effects).

What I've decided to push for these days is not any economic plan or proposal about what to do. I'm hoping to take advantage of the current mess to persuade those in a position to do something that we need to bear down on trying to understand how the economy really works, and construct a valid model that we can use to test proposals about what should be done. I'm trying to take our approach up a level or two. This means a model that is not based on any current or past economic theory, but which provides a framework within which any economic model can be tested.

models.

Neat. Good stuff. You'll probably appreciate my new book, which is in press right now -- it's organized around computer models demonstrating the principles of PCT, with a disk included. My publisher, who is also my sister, will probably be making the big announcement on CSGnet any time now.

the great depression I read in graduate school, so I am a little disappointed that Bernanke hasn't lived up better to his Hellicopter Ben reputation.

Oops, there you go again. I'm just a hard-headed physicist/engineer and don't know any of this economic or political insider stuff. Before you do that sort of thing, consider explaining it to the unannointed.

It might be very nice to have you aboard, and who knows, you might enjoy it, too.

paradigms.

We shall see. Get hold of the new book, which not only has the demos in it, but the source code, too.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1537 MST)]

Hi Bill:
Have these ideas been shared with the Obama-Biden Transition Team?

I plan on it one way or another. If you want to find a contact and do it, just let me know and I'll turn it over to you. Or we can both do it.

I'm going on the assumption that you're the David London who is a colleague of David Goldstein in New Jersey, a clinical psychologist and a member of the infamous Edgemoor Conference as seen on Goldstein's web page. I don't think I know any others. Nice to hear from you.

Best,

Bill P.

···

At 05:21 PM 12/6/2008 -0500, David London wrote:

Bill:
I am indeed that David London from New Jersey, colleague of Dave Goldstein. You represent PCT best. I'll cheer you on.
Peace
Dave London

Bill Powers wrote:

···

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1537 MST)]

At 05:21 PM 12/6/2008 -0500, David London wrote:

Hi Bill:
Have these ideas been shared with the Obama-Biden Transition Team?

I plan on it one way or another. If you want to find a contact and do it, just let me know and I'll turn it over to you. Or we can both do it.

I'm going on the assumption that you're the David London who is a colleague of David Goldstein in New Jersey, a clinical psychologist and a member of the infamous Edgemoor Conference as seen on Goldstein's web page. I don't think I know any others. Nice to hear from you.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1628 MDET)]

···

At 06:13 PM 12/6/2008 -0500, David London wrote:

Bill:
I am indeed that David London from New Jersey, colleague of Dave Goldstein. You represent PCT best. I'll cheer you on.

OK, but not today. Other things to do soon. Talk tomorrow, all.

Best,

Bill P.

[From Rick Marken (2008.12.06.1530)]

Bill Powers (2008.12.06.1302 MST)–

Does your model show that if more money were taken from the rich and
given to the poor on a regular basis, the present problems would be
cured?

It could. Not yet. My claim about the merits of redistribution is based on historical data and international comparisons.

The problem is that right now, I have no reason to believe what you said
other than that you’re a smart guy and have done some economic modeling.

I’m also very good looking and I have a beautiful wife; does that help;-)

I haven’t actually seen a model (that I could accept) running,
demonstrating that what you say is right. And no matter how much I like
you, I’m not going to accept what you tell me just to be nice.

OK, be like that;-) It’s just nice to know that you like me!

I predicted this crisis as
soon as Bush came in and started transferring wealth from the poor to the
rich.

Well, you were right, but was that luck or was it a solid prediction from
a model you could demonstrate? Predicting right doesn’t mean much unless
you show how you did it, and show us some reason to think you could do it
again. Don’t make the gambler’s mistake of thinking that winning shows
that you’re smart.
Of course. All I can say is that I didn’t make that prediction at any time during the Clinton administration and, indeed, the economy was chugging along just fine until Bush came along. And things actually went south pretty quickly after Bush came in; the surplus went immediately to deficit, poverty increased, wages stagnated, growth was weak and person debt increased.

The problem is that you can’t fix what is wrong in a system just by
injecting more of a variable or removing some of a variable.

I agree. The solution is to redistribute wealth: spread the wealth, as
Obama said.

But that is just moving quantitites of a variable from one place to
another. If you add a function to the system design that does this
continuously, or does it automatically as a function of other system
variables, you’ve altered the properties of the system, and we could make
the same change in our model and see if it predicts the result correctly.
But without having that model, how do you know what the effect of wealth
redistribution would be? Wouldn’t it be better to test that idea in a
model before actually trying it out in the real economy?

Sure, but actual policy makers have that luxury.

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com

[From Martin Lewitt (2008 1207.0602 MST)

You mention that you're a skeptic. Good, so am I. We ought to get
along with each other just fine. I asked

> > What would happen if that were done? Do you really know? I suspect
> > you're right, but I don't know how to show that this would work. I
> > can work out the relationships in the system one at a time fairly
> > well (up to the limit of my knowledge, which is not vast), but I
> > can't put them all together and see what the overall result would be.
> > There are too many closed loops, too many things happening at once. I
> > can't solve that many simultaneous equations in my head. Can you?

and you said

>I know that this system would have the power to get the error in price
>stability targeting onto the inflation side, something the current credit
>based system has failed to do ...

So, both of us being skeptics, you'll understand that when you say
the preceding, I have to ask "How do you know that?" Won't giving a
lot of people money have some effects other than causing more goods
to be bought? But whatever the answer, I want to know how you know it's right.

Yes, purchase and consumption of goods won't be the only effect.
People will be free to make mortage payments, save in deposit accounts,
invest in stocks, start new business enterprises, etc. Printing the money
is just replacing the money that has disappeared through deleveraging,
although it is not making any kind of attempt to put the money back in
exactly the same place it disappeared from. It is just an attempt to put
the monetary effect back on the side of inflation. Economies with debt
denominated in nominal terms have a much easier time adjusting to
inflation rather than deflation. Do I really need to supply evidence that
governments have the ability to debase currencies to the extent of
causing inflation? If they didn't, that would imply they have the ability to
create wealth out of nothing and their would be no excuse not to print
enough money to make everyone materially wealthy. They can't make
everyone wealthy but what they can do is impact nominal prices, and
in the current circumstance replace money that has disappeared
through deleveraging to a large enough extent to offset the aggregate
decline in nominal prices of assets and goods. Any wealth created
that in the new circumstance, that would not be created in the current
crisis, comes from employing productive labor and capital equipment
that already exists in the near term, and in the long run the wealth
will hopefully have further compounding benefits.

American economy" (Benchmark Publications, see Amazon). He claimed
that there was never any episode of money inflation in the 20th
Century -- that the biggest drag on the economy has been loss of
buying power from the circular flow to the tune of about 7% per year,
according to the historical record. He said that the cure was to
print more money, and that it wouldn't cause inflation. He was a
research chemist who got interested in economics late in life.

Is there more about this leakage theory online, perhaps in the
archives here? The recirculation sounds a bit like monetary
velocity, but I need to know more. Did he not acknowledge
the Carter double digit inflation as inflation?

> And, in a nonlinear system, of course,
>I don't know what would happen, the danger is runaway inflation, and
>perhaps oscillating and overshooting attempts to control it. The Fed
>would be able to push out money on the debit card end and reel it in
>on the interest rate/bank reserve end.

Fine, but if you've been reading my recent posts you know what I'm
going to say. Plug those features into your economic model and let me
see it running on my computer. Then I'll believe you. You haven't
mentioned any effect of this change on things other than inflation
and perhaps economic growth rate. A good model will show all the
important effects and relationships, so when you change anything, it
will show all the important consequences. I'd like to see that.

You might have more faith in models than I do. Humans can have
unanticipated reactions. Sometimes we can just know the sign
and magnitude of the effect but not the result when everything is netted
out. Take climate change for instance, we know the sign of the greenhouse
gas effect is positive and the magnitude of the direct effects appears to
be enough to account for less than a third of the recent warming, as we
know the signs of some of the feedbacks are positive and some are
negative, but we don't currently have models or data good enough to tell us
whether the net feedback is positive or negative. The models are
good enough for insights and hypothesis generation, but can't yet
be validated enough to attribute a 0.7 degree Centigrade warming
to competing external forcings.

In economics too, sometimes we have to make decision while knowing
little more than the sign of effects. Just like we know that unemployment
insurance can help put a temporary floor on how far and fast consumption
can drop, we also know that having a tax system that favors debt financing
and punishes equity financing will result in more debt ridden and highly
leveraged businesses, and that the sign of the effect will be to accelerate
the layoff cycle we have been discussing.

>I wouldn't complicate things further by trying to put money where it is
>most needed, even just distributing it equally would be better able to
>avoid the contraction of the money supply than the current system.
>If one is concerned about fairness, it doesn't seem particularly fair,
>and perhaps even regressive to target people who are in a position
>to purchase a house or auto. When the money is distributed in
>the debit card manner, it is the consumers who pick the winners and
>losers, and banks and auto companies must compete for their
>business.

Yes, I like that and my father would have, too. But I still don't
know if it's right. There are only two ways to find out, other than
with a time machine.
Try it out for real and see what happens, or develop a solid model
that predicts correctly with historical data, and run it to see what
happens without hurting real people. I think it will be politically
easier (and more humanitarian) to develop the model and do it that way.

I don't think the standard needs to be that high. We already have a
Federal Reserve that is trying to inflate the economy but is only
"pushing on a string", so there is a consensus agreeing to their
goal, there is just the lack of a facility able to achieve it.

Printing money will result in that money being saved, invested or
spent. About the only other alternative is burning it or stuffing
it in a mattress, and both of these can be compensated for by
printing more money, in response to monitoring its effects on
the prices of securities, assets and goods. The net effects are
in question, but since many of the costs of businesses are
historical (depreciation, amortization, etc) or nominal (debt
payments) the prospects of businesses will be immediately
improved and the need to layoff workers will be immediately
decreased.

Now the US auto industry is really facing two crises, there was a
change in consumer preferences caused by the gas price shock
that does not immediately revert once gas prices come down, in
addition to the current credit crisis. The have long term cost
structure problems as well, that might have been survivable if
either one of these crises had been happening alone.

>I hope I got the header right.

Perfect.

> I was a triple major in physics, economics
>and philosophy, who has done graduate work in computer science
>and business, and has been published in computational chemistry.

Ah, there's your problem! If you studied economics and business, then
you know a lot of things that ain't so. I assume you don't think that
economists and businessmen got together and worked out how the system
operates, and used this knowledge to put us where we are today. In my
opinion, business and economic principles are based largely on
superstitions (in the technical sense -- belief in causal
relationships that are actually just coincidences or side-effects).

What I've decided to push for these days is not any economic plan or
proposal about what to do. I'm hoping to take advantage of the
current mess to persuade those in a position to do something that we
need to bear down on trying to understand how the economy really
works, and construct a valid model that we can use to test proposals
about what should be done. I'm trying to take our approach up a level
or two. This means a model that is not based on any current or past
economic theory, but which provides a framework within which any
economic model can be tested.

>I've spent about 30 years in supporting scientific applications on
>parallel computers, currently supporting gene search codes and climate
>models.

Neat. Good stuff. You'll probably appreciate my new book, which is in
press right now -- it's organized around computer models
demonstrating the principles of PCT, with a disk included. My
publisher, who is also my sister, will probably be making the big
announcement on CSGnet any time now.

> I have a long standing interest in the theory of the great depression, and
>was strongly influenced by a dissertation on the history of theory of
>the great depression I read in graduate school, so I am a little
>disappointed that Bernanke hasn't lived up better to his Hellicopter
>Ben reputation.

Oops, there you go again. I'm just a hard-headed physicist/engineer
and don't know any of this economic or political insider stuff.
Before you do that sort of thing, consider explaining it to the unannointed.

When Bernanke was appointed there was a concern about whether he
was really an inflation hawk, because he had once written a theoretical
paper on alternative ways of distributing the benefits of creating money.
His tongue in cheek characterization of one of the ways was to drop
the money from helicopters, thus "Helicopter Ben". In practice this
alternative scheme might look very much like my debit card account
proposal.

It might be very nice to have you aboard, and who knows, you might
enjoy it, too.

>I was introduced to PCT a few months ago, and will come at things
>skeptically if they don't fit into evolutionary and neural network
>paradigms.

We shall see. Get hold of the new book, which not only has the demos
in it, but the source code, too.

Thanx, it sounds interesting.

Best,

Bill P.

I guess I had better go for --- MartinL

···

[From Martin Lewitt (2008 1207.1630 MST)]
*** much snipped ***

I agree with most of that as far as I'm competent to do so. But the
investment part is a problem. This is an age-old problem that
economists have always got past by pole-vaulting with their eyes
shut. One nobly defers gratification (such as eating) and invests
money instead of spending it on goodies. Somehow (pay no attention to
that man behind the curtain) not-buying things results in more things
being manufactured and sold to people who don't have any money left
(they invested it) to buy anything. Oh, and they expect a return on
their investments, too. But your approach of printing money at least
leaves the investment option open to be ignored. Ideally, I suppose,
some of the money would be invested and some would be spent -- with
just enough spent to soak up the added production that the investment
part could support.

The truth is, according to the historical record (see Rick Marken's
post), investment does not drive economic growth. It is necessary to
bring production up when demand increases, and that requires
expansion of production capabilities which in turn requires
investment, but the best place to get investment is from a bank,
which can snap its fingers and create just enough money (though the
man behind the curtain is wondering where he's going to get the money
for interest payments). There's no market for more investment than is
needed to meet demand. It can't be used to drive demand -- that's
your phenomenon of pushing on a string. If the investment comes from
existing money, it has to be taken away from other investments so the
macroeconomic picture isn't inmproved. The causal role of investment
isn't supported by the facts. And when you think about it, how could it be?

Bill P,

I think you are getting distracted by the money in thinking about deferral
of consumption. Of course, in a marginal subsistance of society,
deferral of consumption might mean starvation. But just about every
society of modern humans has produced surpluses. So there are
purely consumptive activities that can be deferred in favor of investment.
For instance, the nightly or weekly dance, or the sex by an already
pregnant couple can be bypassed and the time spent producing
more tools, or refining better designs or developing an organic
pigment that can replace a valued mineral pigment that requires
hours of travel or something else of value to obtain. Such deferal
of consumption, or in this case consumption that has been permanently
lost can have long term payoffs. In the modern non-monetary sense,
consider the retired person who might have wanted to sit in his
rocking chair and enjoy the view, or to hike in the mountains, who
defers or gives up that consumption and uses his time to teach, or
continue promising research. In these cases there can be net
increase of not just wealth, but of productive capacity.

I think when money is brought into the equation you start seeing it
as a zero sum game. Even Marx acknowledged that labor can
produce wealth, so we can consider the case of the worker, who
instead of taking a consumptive vacation, works earning more
income, which he used to purchase capital equipment or tools
that allows him to produce more in the future. Or perhaps the
worker values nonprofit investment, and donates the extra earnings
to medical research. Sure, it is not he that is producing the food
that supports these only potentially productive researchers. Of
course medical research is not necessarily the most remunerative
work that our best minds can apply themselves too, so dedicated
researchers living a lower consumptive lifestyle in order to persue
knowledge out of love of the field or a sense of purpse, are also
deferring consumption, lowering the price of their research might
command and increasing the total level of investment.

I suspect the economic studies that fail to find a market for more
investment that can meet demand, are categarizing demand and
investment in such a way that their result is circularly or tautologically
true. What about the investments that are voluntarily made in
research non-profits for instance? Does that fact that people wanted
to do it mean that those investments were "demanded"? What about
products that were invented before there was a demand, and then
became "necessities"? What about advances in efficiency such
as the mini-mills for producing steel, there was already enough
productive capacity to meet demand, yet the new mills were produced
and displaced existing old technology. I guess the producers of
these reports can argue there is always pre-existing demand for
greater efficiency, but the businesses themselves, or because
the lower costs enable lower prices and more demand is satisfied
at equilibrium. It is very easy for this to get tautological.

Do you have references for these papers?

-- regards,
      MartinL

···