PCT and Education (Re: Why Control of Perception?)

[From Rick Marken (2015.08.18.1930)]

···

John Kirkland (2015.08.19 0915 NZT)–

JK: This comment may be tangential to the current thread. Even so, I’d like to have a range of PCT perspectives presented for consideration.

RM: This is a very interesting topic but deserves a thread of its own so I’ve taken the liberty of giving it to a more appropriate subject head so hopefully we can continue this as a separate thread. I’ll reply this in a separate post.

Best

Rick

Recently I’ve been pondering over students who are required to “learn-by-heart”. The content may be selected religious texts, the times’ tables, nervous system labels, pi to 10 places, the first 10 elements of the periodic table, or whatever. In most of these situations the dominating theme is “learn-this-and-repeat, ASAP”; didactic teaching at its worst. In such contexts students have no choice. Well, they could buck the system, which is unlikely because of adverse consequences. They certainly don’t have any opportunities to ask questions, or to play and mess about with trying this and that by testing and experimenting.

I would hazard a guess many readers on this forum have at one time or another been formal, institutional teachers as well as students. This topic possibly has a personal aspect: so, as a teacher how did you present curriculum content for subsequent student assessment? If there was a text book, that’s a give-away since “bundled knowledge” was therefore acknowledged. I’d especially like to hear from those teachers who managed to include PCT deliberately.

Fred may wish wade in with an apposite comment along the lines that teachers may be likened to managers,in which case the “Target model” suffices for both instances.

I understand Ed Ford’s responsible learning makes an important contribution to pedagogy. But, it may not avoid the, “there is stuff that’s called knowledge and it may be assessed and students will be graded accordingly” ideology which I summarise as, it’s this world-way or the byway. Yes, I do appreciate the investigative themes percolating through Ed’s contributions, which typifies “discovery learning” and its condiments.

By way of some background to this conundrum, I have been revisiting the Bloom/Anderson taxa which are foundation documents for most national educational curricula. From my observations, one consistent theme for pretty well all educational objective taxa is the notion that there is a recognised body of knowledge; it exists and may be pointed at and discussed and parsed into curriculum segments which are then transferred to students via teachers’ guidance to become student-cloned memories for facts, concepts and procedures. Internationally, the dominant teaching method is still didactic. And students are therefore locked into show evidence of “learn this by heart”, which is where this topic started.

Comments and suggestions welcomed. I continue to be astounded at the gaps in my understanding of pedagogy and epistemology.

Kind regards

JohnK

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 7:12 AM, Tracy Harms csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

[from Tracy Harms (2015.08.18.15:11)]

Boris,

I wrote about my reaction to the present thread, not to the broader discussions on this list nor to the personalities of participants. Bill is not posting to this thread, naturally. For what it is worth, I don’t see in this thread the deviation you claim. I’m not interested in entering the dispute you appear to be pursuing.

Tracy Harms

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[From Rick Marken (2015.08.18.2040)]

···

RM: I get the impression you don’t like “learn this and repeat” didactic teaching. But doesn’t some memorization have to happen before a student can know what to ask?

RM: Depends on class size and content. But I think I required some memorization (but not much since I’m so lousy at it myself) and tried to get them to ask questions.

RM: I don’t know what it would mean to deliberately include PCT. If it means giving a class on PCT, I’ve done that, with mixed success. If it means including my understanding of PCT in my teaching, I think the only PCT wisdom I applied was something I knew already; not everyone will want to learn what you have to teach.

RM: I didn’t know that. I thought Ed’s program was called “responsible thinking”, not “responsible learning” and that it addressed classroom discipline, not learning.

RM: I had no idea Ed wrote about pedagogy. I’d appreciate it if you could give a brief description of what he said about it. All I know is the RTP approach to dealing with discipline problems, which is quite good.

RM: I don’t really see what the problem is with the “world-way or the byway” approach to teaching. Don’t you have to learn what is considered the best current knowledge before you can be intelligently skeptical about it. Einstein had to have learned Newtonian physics pretty well (which surely involved a great deal of rote memorization as well as problem solving) before he was able to come up with relativity.

RM: It’s not just rote memorization, is it? They have to be able to use the knowledge to solve problems. My son is a math teacher and he emphasizes to the students that they are learning this math stuff, not because they will be called on to solve differential equations in their future career but because they are learning how use tools (which they’ve memorized) to solve problems (which cannot be done by rote).

RM: I’m in the same boat. Don’t know much about pedagogy; don’t know much epistemology; don’t know much about a science book; don’t know much about the French I took. But I do know that I love you. And I know that if you love me too, what a wonderful world this world be! :wink:

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

JK: Recently I’ve been pondering over students who are required to “learn-by-heart”. The content may be selected religious texts, the times’ tables, nervous system labels, pi to 10 places, the first 10 elements of the periodic table, or whatever. In most of these situations the dominating theme is “learn-this-and-repeat, ASAP”; didactic teaching at its worst. In such contexts students have no choice. Well, they could buck the system, which is unlikely because of adverse consequences. They certainly don’t have any opportunities to ask questions, or to play and mess about with trying this and that by testing and experimenting.

JK: I would hazard a guess many readers on this forum have at one time or another been formal, institutional teachers as well as students. This topic possibly has a personal aspect: so, as a teacher how did you present curriculum content for subsequent student assessment?

JK: If there was a text book, that’s a give-away since “bundled knowledge” was therefore acknowledged. I’d especially like to hear from those teachers who managed to include PCT deliberately.

JK: I understand Ed Ford’s responsible learning makes an important contribution to pedagogy.

JK: But, it may not avoid the, “there is stuff that’s called knowledge and it may be assessed and students will be graded accordingly” ideology which I summarise as, it’s this world-way or the byway. Yes, I do appreciate the investigative themes percolating through Ed’s contributions, which typifies “discovery learning” and its condiments.

JK: By way of some background to this conundrum, I have been revisiting the Bloom/Anderson taxa which are foundation documents for most national educational curricula. From my observations, one consistent theme for pretty well all educational objective taxa is the notion that there is a recognised body of knowledge; it exists and may be pointed at and discussed and parsed into curriculum segments which are then transferred to students via teachers’ guidance to become student-cloned memories for facts, concepts and procedures. Internationally, the dominant teaching method is still didactic. And students are therefore locked into show evidence of “learn this by heart”, which is where this topic started.

JK: Comments and suggestions welcomed. I continue to be astounded at the gaps in my understanding of pedagogy and epistemology.

Kind regards

JohnK

Boris,
I wrote about my reaction to the present thread, not to the broader discussions on this list nor to the personalities of participants. Bill is not posting to this thread, naturally. For what it is worth, I don’t see in this thread the deviation you claim. I’m not interested in entering the dispute you appear to be pursuing.

Tracy Harms

bob hintz 2015.8.19.1430

I think you always have to start with the student. Is the student trying to learn something that has some perceived value with the aid of a teacher who already knows what that is or how to do it, or is the student required to learn it because the teacher or someone else says it is valuable and must be learned. From a PCT perspective, I would suppose that learning involves the acquisition of a skill in controlling some variable or type of variable or collection of variables.

I have been thinking about inside/outside lately and believe that the only variables that are always controlled are those internal variables that are continuously available to our experience. Everything that exists outside my skin has meaning/value only to extent that it is relevant to the control of some internal variable. Powers started his discussion of learning with intrinsic variables and reorganization to build the hierarchy of control of external variables and never explored whether or not a similar hierarchy of internal variables might also be created in the process of interacting with other human beings rather than simply physical variables. Where do feelings of contentment come from or feelings of dread. What is fear of failing a test because you can’t remember something you know you studied just last evening. Infants do not have tests but they learn everything they know with the help of caregivers who pay attention to what they appear to be trying to learn and offer assistance. When the infant quits trying, the caregiver usually quits assisting. If the caregiver continues doing whatever they were doing, it can no longer be called assistance because the infant is now resisting rather than trying to learn something. When teaching involves coercion, what is learned, i.e., internalized, is often quite different from what the teacher might hope it being learned.

bob

···

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

RM: I get the impression you don’t like “learn this and repeat” didactic teaching. But doesn’t some memorization have to happen before a student can know what to ask?

RM: Depends on class size and content. But I think I required some memorization (but not much since I’m so lousy at it myself) and tried to get them to ask questions.

RM: I don’t know what it would mean to deliberately include PCT. If it means giving a class on PCT, I’ve done that, with mixed success. If it means including my understanding of PCT in my teaching, I think the only PCT wisdom I applied was something I knew already; not everyone will want to learn what you have to teach.

RM: I didn’t know that. I thought Ed’s program was called “responsible thinking”, not “responsible learning” and that it addressed classroom discipline, not learning.

RM: I had no idea Ed wrote about pedagogy. I’d appreciate it if you could give a brief description of what he said about it. All I know is the RTP approach to dealing with discipline problems, which is quite good.

RM: I don’t really see what the problem is with the “world-way or the byway” approach to teaching. Don’t you have to learn what is considered the best current knowledge before you can be intelligently skeptical about it. Einstein had to have learned Newtonian physics pretty well (which surely involved a great deal of rote memorization as well as problem solving) before he was able to come up with relativity.

RM: It’s not just rote memorization, is it? They have to be able to use the knowledge to solve problems. My son is a math teacher and he emphasizes to the students that they are learning this math stuff, not because they will be called on to solve differential equations in their future career but because they are learning how use tools (which they’ve memorized) to solve problems (which cannot be done by rote).

RM: I’m in the same boat. Don’t know much about pedagogy; don’t know much epistemology; don’t know much about a science book; don’t know much about the French I took. But I do know that I love you. And I know that if you love me too, what a wonderful world this world be! :wink:

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

JK: Recently I’ve been pondering over students who are required to “learn-by-heart”. The content may be selected religious texts, the times’ tables, nervous system labels, pi to 10 places, the first 10 elements of the periodic table, or whatever. In most of these situations the dominating theme is “learn-this-and-repeat, ASAP”; didactic teaching at its worst. In such contexts students have no choice. Well, they could buck the system, which is unlikely because of adverse consequences. They certainly don’t have any opportunities to ask questions, or to play and mess about with trying this and that by testing and experimenting.

JK: I would hazard a guess many readers on this forum have at one time or another been formal, institutional teachers as well as students. This topic possibly has a personal aspect: so, as a teacher how did you present curriculum content for subsequent student assessment?

JK: If there was a text book, that’s a give-away since “bundled knowledge” was therefore acknowledged. I’d especially like to hear from those teachers who managed to include PCT deliberately.

JK: I understand Ed Ford’s responsible learning makes an important contribution to pedagogy.

JK: But, it may not avoid the, “there is stuff that’s called knowledge and it may be assessed and students will be graded accordingly” ideology which I summarise as, it’s this world-way or the byway. Yes, I do appreciate the investigative themes percolating through Ed’s contributions, which typifies “discovery learning” and its condiments.

JK: By way of some background to this conundrum, I have been revisiting the Bloom/Anderson taxa which are foundation documents for most national educational curricula. From my observations, one consistent theme for pretty well all educational objective taxa is the notion that there is a recognised body of knowledge; it exists and may be pointed at and discussed and parsed into curriculum segments which are then transferred to students via teachers’ guidance to become student-cloned memories for facts, concepts and procedures. Internationally, the dominant teaching method is still didactic. And students are therefore locked into show evidence of “learn this by heart”, which is where this topic started.

JK: Comments and suggestions welcomed. I continue to be astounded at the gaps in my understanding of pedagogy and epistemology.

Kind regards

JohnK

Boris,

Tracy Harms

[From Rick Marken (2015.08.21.0925)

···

bob hintz 2015.8.19.1430

BH: I think you always have to start with the student. Is the student trying to learn something that has some perceived value with the aid of a teacher who already knows what that is or how to do it, or is the student required to learn it because the teacher or someone else says it is valuable and must be learned. From a PCT perspective, I would suppose that learning involves the acquisition of a skill in controlling some variable or type of variable or collection of variables.

RM: Yes.

BH: I have been thinking about inside/outside lately and believe that the only variables that are always controlled are those internal variables that are continuously available to our experience. Everything that exists outside my skin has meaning/value only to extent that it is relevant to the control of some internal variable.

RM: Of course. Behavior is the control of perceptions (internal) of aspects of the environment (external). Only internally perceived aspects of what is outside the skin (actually, outside the nervous system) are relevant to control.

BH: Powers started his discussion of learning with intrinsic variables and reorganization to build the hierarchy of control of external variables and never explored whether or not a similar hierarchy of internal variables might also be created in the process of interacting with other human beings rather than simply physical variables.

RM: I think that’s because there is no evidence that such a hierarchy exists.

BH: Where do feelings of contentment come from or feelings of dread. What is fear of failing a test because you can’t remember something you know you studied just last evening.

RM: Those are what we call emotions. In PCT they are perceptions of physiological side effects of control (such as the secretion of adrenalin). I think the chapter on Emotion in B:CP 2nd edition will give you a more complete answer to your question.

BH: Infants do not have tests but they learn everything they know with the help of caregivers who pay attention to what they appear to be trying to learn and offer assistance. When the infant quits trying, the caregiver usually quits assisting. If the caregiver continues doing whatever they were doing, it can no longer be called assistance because the infant is now resisting rather than trying to learn something. When teaching involves coercion, what is learned, i.e., internalized, is often quite different from what the teacher might hope it being learned.

RM:According to PCT, learning is a random trial and error process aimed at building control organizations that reduce intrinsic error.But teachers can apparently guide this process to some extent because there are certain things people have to learn in order to be able to control effectively in the world they happen to be born into.

RM: While learning is trial and error there are some things that you want children to learn without making any errors – like running into the street when there is an oncoming car (or bike). So some coercive teaching may be required in some situations, especially with young kids. But in other situations, like language learning, the learner, especially if it’s a child, desperately wants to learn to communicate so the teacher’s role is to guide the learning to a place where the child can communicate with others.

RM: I think teaching involves lots of things: providing “rote knowledge” to be memorized (as in language learning), providing experience with using this knowledge and providing a model for imitation. Another important thing about teaching is that it is not just done by teachers: parents, peers and public figures are teachers too. The people who are the “official” teachers (like my son) are formally responsible for teaching some agreed-on knowledge (and enrichment skills, like art and music, and trade skills, like computer programming now, I suppose). But most teaching surely must go on outside of classrooms, which is why I despair of politicians and policy makers in the US who “blame the teachers” for what they perceive to be the failings of education.

RM: I also think that virtually all approaches to teaching “work” in the same way that all approaches to psychotherapy work. I think what PCT can contribute to teaching is equivalent to what it contributes to psychotherapy: stripping away the superfluous and showing what is the effective common denominator in all teaching methods.

RM: Also, from a policy perspective, it’s well known that most of the variance in educational outcomes is due to the obvious things: household economic and educational level. Both of these variables are surely related to a child’s ability to be in control of their life. Which makes sense; it’s easier for children to learn to control new aspects of their world when they’ve already got the basic aspects – nutrition, safety, creature comforts – under control. So if you want to improve education at the group level, stop wasting time trying to figure out better ways to teach and work on ways to provide all families with the means to control their lives – that is, return to the economic system we had in America when I was growing up – a system where we had a large, strong middle class.And, no coincidence, the finest educational system in the world. It wasn’t because we knew how to teach better back then and forgot; it’s because a larger segment of the population – the then large middle class – was in control of their lives.

Best

Rick

bob

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken
www.mindreadings.com

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

Kind regards

JohnK

Boris,

Tracy Harms

[From Fred Nickols (2015.08.23.0739)]

John:

I don’t know if I can shed any light on rote learning re PCT but perhaps I can on a more complicated kind of learning.

Back in 1971, I was in charge of the Navy’s programmed instruction writer’s course at the instructor school in San Diego. I was quite familiar with Bloom’s taxonomy. Evaluation was then the highest level in the cognitive domain and according to what I had read, it subsumed the levels below it, which meant that people capable of evaluating something had the necessary knowledge at the lower levels. So, I decided to rewrite the course predicated on the notion that if I taught them how to properly evaluate programmed instruction that they could vary their behavior in whatever ways were necessary to produce it. It worked like a charm!

A few years later I was introduced to PCT and I now have a somewhat different view of the reason for the success of the rewrite. By equipping the trainees to evaluate programmed instruction I was equipping them with the necessary reference conditions to also produce it.

The first offering of the rewritten course encountered a glitch. We started with task/behavioral analyses which formed the basis for the programmed instruction. The trainees had a hard time grasping the reason for the analyses and didn’t do well. So, we modified the course and for their first effort we gave them completed analyses. Having been taught how to tell if the programmed instructional materials were based on sound analyses they were quite ready on the second go around to learn how to do those analyses. So we wound up teaching them (1) how to evaluate programmed instructional materials, including how to determine if they were tied to a sound analysis, (2) how to perform the necessary analyses. The revised course was much easier to teach and the materials produced by the trainees were far superior the materials produce in previous iterations.

To sum it up I think what we did was give them a set of reference conditions against which they could compare their perceptions of the materials they were producing and adjust accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Fred Nickols

···

From: Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) [mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 10:34 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Cc: Richard Marken
Subject: PCT and Education (Re: Why Control of Perception?)

[From Rick Marken (2015.08.18.1930)]

JK: This comment may be tangential to the current thread. Even so, I’d like to have a range of PCT perspectives presented for consideration.

RM: This is a very interesting topic but deserves a thread of its own so I’ve taken the liberty of giving it to a more appropriate subject head so hopefully we can continue this as a separate thread. I’ll reply this in a separate post.

Best

Rick

Recently I’ve been pondering over students who are required to “learn-by-heart”. The content may be selected religious texts, the times’ tables, nervous system labels, pi to 10 places, the first 10 elements of the periodic table, or whatever. In most of these situations the dominating theme is “learn-this-and-repeat, ASAP”; didactic teaching at its worst. In such contexts students have no choice. Well, they could buck the system, which is unlikely because of adverse consequences. They certainly don’t have any opportunities to ask questions, or to play and mess about with trying this and that by testing and experimenting.

I would hazard a guess many readers on this forum have at one time or another been formal, institutional teachers as well as students. This topic possibly has a personal aspect: so, as a teacher how did you present curriculum content for subsequent student assessment? If there was a text book, that’s a give-away since “bundled knowledge” was therefore acknowledged. I’d especially like to hear from those teachers who managed to include PCT deliberately.

Fred may wish wade in with an apposite comment along the lines that teachers may be likened to managers,in which case the “Target model” suffices for both instances.

I understand Ed Ford’s responsible learning makes an important contribution to pedagogy. But, it may not avoid the, “there is stuff that’s called knowledge and it may be assessed and students will be graded accordingly” ideology which I summarise as, it’s this world-way or the byway. Yes, I do appreciate the investigative themes percolating through Ed’s contributions, which typifies “discovery learning” and its condiments.

By way of some background to this conundrum, I have been revisiting the Bloom/Anderson taxa which are foundation documents for most national educational curricula. From my observations, one consistent theme for pretty well all educational objective taxa is the notion that there is a recognised body of knowledge; it exists and may be pointed at and discussed and parsed into curriculum segments which are then transferred to students via teachers’ guidance to become student-cloned memories for facts, concepts and procedures. Internationally, the dominant teaching method is still didactic. And students are therefore locked into show evidence of “learn this by heart”, which is where this topic started.

Comments and suggestions welcomed. I continue to be astounded at the gaps in my understanding of pedagogy and epistemology.

Kind regards

JohnK

Boris,

Tracy Harms

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2015.08.23.1200)]

···

Fred Nickols (2015.08.23.0739)–

FN: To sum it up I think what we did was give them a set of reference conditions against which they could compare their perceptions of the materials they were producing and adjust accordingly.

RM: Yes, I think this is, indeed, something PCT would say is an important aspect of teaching (or coaching). Show the learner what perceptions are to be controlled and what state those perceptions are to be brought to. Since learning to control via reorganization is, in theory anyway, a process of finding the output parameters of the control loop that will get it to work properly (and those “parameters” include the outputs to lower level systems that become reference specifications for lower level perception) knowing what you are supposed to be learning to control (to “do”) would be a big help.

RM: I think this is particularly clear when teaching athletic performance. When you are teaching a person how to hit a forehand shot in tennis what you want to do is tell the person what doing this should feel like (what perceptions should be controlled, such as the perception of the angle of the wrist, and in what reference state, such as “stationary”, not moving – as in racquetball, which is what I play), not what actions should be produced. That is, try to tell the student what they should be trying to achieve from their perspective.

RM: On a related note, I saw what I thought was an excellent OpEd piece in this morning’s LA TImes on how to retain teachers (and, thus, improve education). And the solution, which has been shown to work and is consistent with PCT, is basically “let the teachers control their own teaching”. In other words, get the administrators and education “experts” out of the loop. As usual, things go better when people are in control! Here’s a pointer to the article.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0823-rizga-mission-high-teacher-retention-20150823-story.html

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[John Kirkland 2015 08 28 1100 NZT]

Many thanks to contributors addressing the matter of rote learning from a PCT approach. I’ll keep working away quietly on this topic.

Rick: your comments and article were spot on.

Boris: I would like to hear more about your contributions to education from PCT

Bob: yes, exactly. I have often pondered on the importance of respecting students’ internal variables. I’d sure like to hear more as you progress this idea. What struck me rather forcefully when teaching at a private university in Bahrain was: a. many of these tertiary level students had never asked a question of any teacher in their entire student days, and b. as I was trying to “map” the features of traditional schools, when I asked these students about their favourite and effective teachers (afterall they were almost all in traditional schools), the one characteristic was friendliness.

Fred: what a brilliant insight. I did like your reanalysis of the situation when adopting a PCT point of view.

Readers may recall Tim Carey has a rather readable book about PCT and education, as well as a regular column he writes on the same topic.

Some time back I “discovered” DavidG and BillP’s Guttman like scale (where, in brief, subsequent items in a Guttman scale eclipse previous ones in the sequence) for PCT biased therapist-inspired activities. I modified their items by, for instance, some light editing, substituting “teacher” for “therapist”, and adding a few more to make up 21 in total. I may get around to using these items for a further application of our Points-of-view approach (where individual differences arise, as once advocated by anthropologists back in the 70’s but they got bumped be the wonder toy INDSCAL’s presumed unitary in-head model). We’ve published some articles on this topic if anybody’s interested.

OK, here’s a semi alphabetically-ordered list of the items I’d modified and extended from David and Bill’s compilation.

Now, if you wish to be brave, try ranking-ordering the following 21 items into a PCT graded series much as David and Bill offered with their hierarchy of PCT-flavoured psychotherapists’ actions.

1. The teacher helps me see alternative ways

to solve problems

1. Quite often I am unable to answer the

teacher’s questions

1. I am often told by the teacher my own way

of doing things is wrong

1. I can follow the teacher’s way of doing

things

1. The teacher leaves it up to me to find

solutions

1. I get told what I am looking for

2. The subject matter always seems to be changing

3. The teacher communicates almost entirely by

asking questions

1. The teacher encourages me to think and to

behave in a more realistic way

1. The teacher gives me useful suggestions

about what to do next

1. The teacher has more insights into my

difficulties than I do

1. The teacher helps me by using their

knowledge of the subject

1. The teacher listens more than talks

2. The teacher makes many suggestions about

how I can continue

1. The teacher makes me more aware of how to

solve things on my own

1. The teacher shows me how to apply my

previous learning to new situations

1. The teacher shows me the solutions I offer

contradict each other

1. The teacher suggests other approaches to

try

1. The teacher’s ideas are always better than

my own

1. When I am confused I understand better

after the teacher’s explanation

1. When I ask for assistance the teacher

replies in a round-about, indirect way

Enjoy.

Kind regards

JohnK

···

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 7:04 AM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2015.08.23.1200)]

Fred Nickols (2015.08.23.0739)–

FN: To sum it up I think what we did was give them a set of reference conditions against which they could compare their perceptions of the materials they were producing and adjust accordingly.

RM: Yes, I think this is, indeed, something PCT would say is an important aspect of teaching (or coaching). Show the learner what perceptions are to be controlled and what state those perceptions are to be brought to. Since learning to control via reorganization is, in theory anyway, a process of finding the output parameters of the control loop that will get it to work properly (and those “parameters” include the outputs to lower level systems that become reference specifications for lower level perception) knowing what you are supposed to be learning to control (to “do”) would be a big help.

RM: I think this is particularly clear when teaching athletic performance. When you are teaching a person how to hit a forehand shot in tennis what you want to do is tell the person what doing this should feel like (what perceptions should be controlled, such as the perception of the angle of the wrist, and in what reference state, such as “stationary”, not moving – as in racquetball, which is what I play), not what actions should be produced. That is, try to tell the student what they should be trying to achieve from their perspective.

RM: On a related note, I saw what I thought was an excellent OpEd piece in this morning’s LA TImes on how to retain teachers (and, thus, improve education). And the solution, which has been shown to work and is consistent with PCT, is basically “let the teachers control their own teaching”. In other words, get the administrators and education “experts” out of the loop. As usual, things go better when people are in control! Here’s a pointer to the article.

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-0823-rizga-mission-high-teacher-retention-20150823-story.html

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[From Rick Marken (2015.08.30.0840)]

···

:

John Kirkland (2015 08 28 1100 NZT)

JK: Now, if you wish to be brave, try ranking-ordering the following 21 items into a PCT graded series much as David and Bill offered with their hierarchy of PCT-flavoured psychotherapists’ actions.

RM: Here’s my attempt, with a little help from the sort function in Excel. I’m sure I would get things a bit different if I did it again. I hope I passed the audition;-)

1. I get told what I am looking

for
The teacher helps me see alternative ways to solve problems
I can follow the teacher’s way of doing things
The teacher makes me more aware of how to solve things on my own
The teacher shows me how to apply my previous learning to new situations
When I am confused I understand better after the teacher’s explanation
The teacher gives me useful suggestions about what to do next
The teacher leaves it up to me to find solutions
The teacher makes many suggestions about how I can continue
The teacher suggests other approaches to try
The teacher helps me by using their knowledge of the subject
The teacher listens more than talks
Quite often I am unable to answer the teacher’s questions
The teacher communicates almost entirely by asking questions
The teacher shows me the solutions I offer contradict each other
The teacher has more insights into my difficulties than I do
The teacher’s ideas are always better than my own
The teacher encourages me to think and to behave in a more realistic way
When I ask for assistance the teacher replies in a round-about, indirect way
I am often told by the teacher my own way of doing things is wrong
The subject matter always seems to be changing

RM: When to I get “feedback” on the correct answers;-)

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

PY: That’s a very good, logical ordering. :wink:

···

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

:

JK: Now, if you wish to be brave, try ranking-ordering the following 21 items into a PCT graded series much as David and Bill offered with their hierarchy of PCT-flavoured psychotherapists’ actions.

RM: Here’s my attempt, with a little help from the sort function in Excel. I’m sure I would get things a bit different if I did it again. I hope I passed the audition;-)

for

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

…it reads like a student’s diary of some progressive state of affairs between student and teacher where each line is a weekly entry over the entire course of an engaging class.

···

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

:

for

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

its like a syllabus

···

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

…it reads like a student’s diary of some progressive state of affairs between student and teacher where each line is a weekly entry over the entire course of an engaging class.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

:

for

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com

[John Kirkland 2015 08 31 0850 NZT]

Well done Rick and Philip.

But before we undertake the next associated activity, let’s wait for a few more class members to submit their own rankings of these 21 items.

We’d like to get 10 volunteers before Monday (Sept 01). After all this is a large virtual class spanning the globe. And, somebody may need to round up the wagging Manchester students, likely to be behind the bike sheds having a quiet fag.

Sorting hint after copying text to a new document using MS word: home>clipboard>clearall>highlight selected text>CtlX> (repeat)>paste all>clearall

Enjoy

Kind regards

JohnK

···

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 6:08 AM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

its like a syllabus

On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM, PHILIP JERAIR YERANOSIAN pyeranos@ucla.edu wrote:

:

for

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

www.mindreadings.com