PCT, Causality and the Cause-Effect Model (was Re: world model)

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.15.1150)

image379.png

···

Martin Taylor (2017.10.15.00.31)–

MT: How on earth do you reconcile this straightforward statement with a

claim that Bill rejects causality in a control loop?

RM: I never claimed that Bill rejects causality in a control loop. You keep saying that I reject causality when, in fact, all I’ve been rejecting is what Bill is rejecting in these quotes: the classical cause effect model of behavior. I posted these quotes to show that when I say exactly what Bill said you find a way of interpreting what I say as meaning something ridiculous, such as that I reject causality – or, more specifically that I reject the existence of causality in a feedback loop. This is good politics (I think you’ve managed to convince most people on CSGNet that you are an expert on PCT and I’m a struggling amateur) but not necessarily good science. So let me take this opportunity to explain where I “stand” with respect to causality in a control loop (this is also an answer to Bruce Abbott (2017.10.14.1905 EDT), who also has issues with me regarding causality).Â

RM: Here is what I believe about causality:Â Â

1. I believe our sensory input (q.i) is always a result of the simultaneous effect of environmental events (q.d) and our own outputs (q.o). That is, at all times what we experience is caused by both what is happening in the environment and what we are doing (or not doing).  For example, what I am seeing at any instant depends on what is out there in the environment and which way my head and eyes are currently pointed. The equation that we use to describe this fact,  q.i = h(q.d) + g(q.o), represents a causal relationship between the variables q.d, q.o and q.i. What it says is that q.d and q.o simultaneously cause, via the functions h() and g(), the current value of q.i.Â

2. I believe that our sensory input, q.i causes, via the organism, what an organism does, q.o. The equation used to describe this fact, q.o = f(q.i), represents a causal relationship between the variables q.i and q.o. What it says is that q.i causes q.o via events inside the organism, which are represented by the “organism function”, f().

3. I believe that the input caused output, q.o, is (per 1.) one of the causes of that same input. That is, I believe that organisms exist in a causal loop where input causes output – q.o = f(q.i) – and at the same time output is one of the causes of that same input -- q.i = h(q.d) + g(q.o).

RM: I hope this convinces you and Bruce that I don’t “reject causality”. What I do reject is the cause-effect model of behavior, which Bill writes (above) as q.o = f([h(q.d)]. That is, I reject the idea that there is a lineal chain of causation that runs from q.d to q.o. I reject the cause-effect model of behavior because:

1. I believe the derivations and demonstrations in Powers’ 1978 Psych Review paper which show that when causality is arranged in a negative feedback loop, where output, q.o, is simultaneously a cause and result of input, q.i, then it is incorrect to see environmental variables,q.d,as a cause of what organisms do, q.o. The correct way to see the behavior produced by this loop is as control of input; q.i should be seen as a controlled – rather than a causal - variable (because it is both a cause and result of the actions that affect it).

2. I also believe Bill’s explanation of why the cause-effect model of behavior has been (and remains) the basis of research in experimental psychology. It’s because the behavior of a control system looks like it is caused by environmental variables, especially when the controlled variable, q.i, is ignored or not noticed. That is, it looks like q.o = f([h(q.d)]. This appearance is easily demonstrated in a tracking task where it looks like q.o (mouse movements) are caused by the disturbance, q.d, to the controlled variable, q.i. In the 1978 Psych Review paper, Powers shows this to be an illusion: while it looks like q.o = -k.f q.d, where -k.f is a linear approximation to the organism function, f(), what is actually happening is q.o = -1/k.gq.d, where -1/k.g is the inverse of the actual linear feedback path relating q.o to q.i.Â

RM: So that’s it. Like Powers I don’t reject causality but I do reject the cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology. That is, I agree heartily with Bill’s statement above: “Not only the old cause-effect model breaks down when one is dealing with an N system**, the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down also”.** [N-system refers to a negative feedback control system]. I think this must surely be considered one of the most important (and revolutionary) ideas about living control systems that comes from an understanding of PCT. So now that we know that we all agree with Powers in not rejecting causality, do we also all agree with him about rejecting the cause-effect model of behavior?

Best

Rick

RM: If you consider that a rejection of causality then

you must also consider this a rejection of causality:Â

But the disturbance that contributes essentially 100% of

the variance of the behavior can act on the organism only
via the variable that shows no significant correlation
with behavior. *** Not only the old cause-effect model
breaks down when one is dealing with an N system, the
very basis of experimental psychology breaks down
also.***

...RM: I'm afraid you are

misunderstanding what Bill means when he refers to the
“classical cause-effect model”. He is referring to what
could be called the S-R or “open loop” or “lineal causal”
model of behavior. Here’s a relevant quote from the 1978
Psych Review paper that demonstrates this point:Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[Martin Taylor 2017.10.15.15.02]

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.15.1150)

I can't speak for Bruce, but I keep saying you reject causality only

because you keep saying you do. In this message, for the first time
so far as I can remember, going back to when Bill chided you for
your views on causality perhaps 20-25 years ago, you go on to talk
about the loop’s causal relations in a sensible way. There isn’t a
lot to disagree with in what follows, except for the omission of
time as an important variable, especially in …

The words are fine by me. The equations are not. In particular, if

there is any time-binding or transport lag in the loop, as there
must be in every control loop, it is misleading to write q.o =
f(q.i) as thought q.o and q.i were both measured at the same moment.
Indeed, if the output function is a simple integrator and everything
else in the loop is a simple pass-through connection, q.o at moment
t0 is independent of q.i at t0 (and of the error e at t0 as well).
It would be less misleading (though cumbersome because of those
dotted “q” variables) to write q.o(t) = f(q.i, t).

Time should also be mentioned in the second set of equations, but in

that case it’s a formality rather than an interpretive necessity,
because in that equation everything is happening at once – except
possibly in the enigmatic h(.) function, which seems a needless
introduction, since it is just the disturbance value q.d that is
added. Introducing h(.) seems to imply that the source of the
disturbance, which cannot be known to the control loop, actually is
important.

You contradict yourself here. To be consistent with yourself (and

with my understanding, the last clause should read: it is incorrect to
see environmental variables,q.d,as [a]
the only cause of what organisms do,
q.o.

I don't think anyone who has been on CSGnet more than a few months

would disagree with that. I hope you try to remain consistent with
what you say in this message, rather than with what you have been
writing heretofore.

Martin

image379.png

···

Martin Taylor (2017.10.15.00.31)–

MT: How on earth do you reconcile this straightforward

statement with a claim that Bill rejects causality in a
control loop?

RM: I never claimed that Bill rejects causality in a

control loop. You keep saying that I reject causality
when, in fact, all I’ve been rejecting is what Bill is
rejecting in these quotes: the classical cause effect
model of behavior.

RM: If you consider that a rejection of

causality then you must also consider this a
rejection of causality:

But the disturbance that contributes

essentially 100% of the variance of the
behavior can act on the organism only via
the variable that shows no significant
correlation with behavior. *** Not only
the old cause-effect model breaks down
when one is dealing with an N system,
the very basis of experimental
psychology breaks down also.***

...RM: I'm afraid you are

misunderstanding what Bill means when he refers
to the “classical cause-effect model”. He is
referring to what could be called the S-R or
“open loop” or “lineal causal” model of
behavior. Here’s a relevant quote from the 1978
Psych Review paper that demonstrates this
point:

3) I believe
that the input caused output, q.o, is (per 1.)
one of the causes of that same input. That is, I
believe that organisms exist in a causal loop
where input causes output – q.o = f(q.i) – and
at the same time output is one of the causes of
that same input – q.i =
h(q.d) + g(q.o).

RM:

I hope this convinces you and Bruce that I don’t “reject
causality”. What I do reject is the cause-effect model
of behavior, which Bill writes (above) as q.o =
f([h(q.d)]. That is, I reject the idea that there is a
lineal chain of causation that runs from q.d to q.o. I
reject the cause-effect model of behavior because:

4)

I believe the derivations and demonstrations in Powers’
1978 Psych Review paper which show that when ** causality** is arranged in a negative feedback loop, where
output, q.o, is simultaneously a cause and result of
input, q.i, then it is incorrect to see environmental variables,q.d, as a
cause of what organisms do, q.o.

... So now that we know that we all

agree with Powers in not rejecting causality, do we also all
agree with him about rejecting the cause-effect model of
behavior?

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.15.1310)]

···

Martin Taylor (2017.10.15.15.02)_-

MT: I don't think anyone who has been on CSGnet more than a few months

would disagree with that. I hope you try to remain consistent with
what you say in this message, rather than with what you have been
writing heretofore.

RM: And I hope the same from you. I hope that you will remain consistent in your rejection of the cause-effect model of behavior. Good luck;-)

Â

Best

RM: ... So now that we know that we all

agree with Powers in not rejecting causality, do we also all
agree with him about rejecting the cause-effect model of
behavior?

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.15.2020)]

···

Rick Marken (2017.10.15.1150)

Â

RM: I’d like to hear what you have to say about this too, Bruce A. Do you also agree with Bill, Martin and me that the cause-effect model of behavior breaks down when one is dealing with a negative feedback control system?

BestÂ

Rick

RM: …So let me take this opportunity to explain where I “stand” with respect to causality in a control loop (this is also an answer to Bruce Abbott (2017.10.14.1905 EDT), who also has issues with me regarding causality)…

RM: So that’s it. Like Powers I don’t reject causality but I do reject the cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology. That is, I agree heartily with Bill’s statement above: “Not only the old cause-effect model breaks down when one is dealing with an N system**, the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down also”.** [N-system refers to a negative feedback control system]. I think this must surely be considered one of the most important (and revolutionary) ideas about living control systems that comes from an understanding of PCT. So now that we know that we all agree with Powers in not rejecting causality, do we also all agree with him about rejecting the cause-effect model of behavior?

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[From Bruce Abbott (2017.10.16.1505 EDT)]

Rick Marken (2017.10.15.2020)]

RM: …So let me take this opportunity to explain where I “stand” with respect to causality in a control loop (this is also an answer to Bruce Abbott (2017.10.14.1905 EDT), who also has issues with me regarding causality)…

RM: So that’s it. Like Powers I don’t reject causality but I do reject the cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology. That is, I agree heartily with Bill’s statement above: "Not only the old cause-effect model breaks down when one is dealing with an N system, the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down also". [N-system refers to a negative feedback control system]. I think this must surely be considered one of the most important (and revolutionary) ideas about living control systems that comes from an understanding of PCT. So now that we know that we all agree with Powers in not rejecting causality, do we also all agree with him about rejecting the cause-effect model of behavior?

RM: I’d like to hear what you have to say about this too, Bruce A. Do you also agree with Bill, Martin and me that the cause-effect model of behavior breaks down when one is dealing with a negative feedback control system?

BA: I came into this conversation when you asserted that there is no causal relationship between a disturbance to a control system’s CV and the system’s output. I said that there is, and described the causal chain that connects the disturbance to the output (and from there via the feedback function back to the CV).  You countered that there can be no causal relationship because the output depends both on the effect of the disturbance on the CV and, simultaneously, on the effect of the output (via the feedback function, I would add in the interest of clarity) on that same CV. Your contention apparently was based on the idea that, if the output counteracts the disturbance, then the disturbance has had no causal influence on the CV. I pointed out that for most folks, both causes would be considered to be acting on the CV, even when the net effect was zero. I also noted that in proportional control systems the output’s effect on the CV does not completely offset the effect of a disturbance, because some error must remain in order to produce the output necessary to oppose the disturbance, and error depends on the difference between reference and perceptual signal.

BA: You have also asserted that the CV is the only cause of the output, because in a circular loop of causality, a change in the CV is the only reason for a change in the output, which then feedback to affect the CV itself. However, given steady parameters and a fixed reference value, the only reason why the CV changes is the effect of the disturbance on the CV. This effect propagates around the loop to change the output, and to the extent that this change of output fails to completely oppose the effect of the disturbance on a given iteration of the loop, the residual effect of the disturbance continues to propagate around the loop to produce yet more change of output, until the effect of the disturbance is almost (but not quite) entirely opposed. Thus, the only independent effect on the output is the effect of the disturbance.

BA: I think that you were at pains to “prove� that a causal relation between disturbance and output does not exist, because of a mistaken belief that this relationship would constitute the forward equation in a control system. In fact it reflects mainly the inverse of the feedback function. Mistaking this inverse function (which is mainly a property of the environment) for the forward system equation is what Powers described as the “behavioral illusion.�

BA: [NOTE: For those who may not understand the terminology, the inverse of Function A is a function that “undoes� the effect of Function A. For example, if Function A is Y = X squared, then the inverse of Function A is X = square root Y. For some functions, an inverse function does not exist.]

BA: What Powers called the “cause-effect model of behavior� refers to the open-loop model of behavior, in which a cause (e.g., a stimulus) produces an effect (e.g. a response) in a direct causal chain not affected by feedback. In this model, the relation between cause and effect is a characteristic of the inner workings of the organism.

BA:  If the stimulus functions as a disturbance to a controlled variable, and the response functions as the control system’s change of output due to the disturbance, then the open-loop, cause-effect model is incorrect; the relationship between stimulus and response reflects the inverse of the environmental feedback function and therefore is not primarily a characteristic of the organism but of its environment. In such a case I agree with Powers and reject this misleadingly labeled cause-effect model of behavior. (Calling this the “open loop model of behavior� rather than the “causal� or “cause-effect� model would avoid the misleading implications that one is rejecting all causal models.)

Bruce

[From Bruce Abbott (2017.10.16.1505 EDT)]

Â

···

Rick Marken (2017.10.15.2020)]

Â

Â

BA:Â  [NOTE: For those who may not

understand the terminology, the inverse of Function A
is a function that “undoesâ€? the effect of Function A.Â
For example, if Function A is Y = X squared, then the
inverse of Function A is X = square root Y. For some
functions, an inverse function does not exist.]

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.17.0950)]

···

Bruce Abbott (2017.10.16.1505 EDT)

RM: So that’s it. Like Powers I don’t reject causality but I do reject the cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology. That is, I agree heartily with Bill’s statement above: “***Not only the old cause-effect model breaks down when one is dealing with an N system, the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down also”.***Â

Â

BA: …Your contention [that the disturbance is not a cause of output] is apparently was based on the idea that, if the output counteracts the disturbance, then the disturbance has had no causal influence on the CV.Â

RM: No, my contention that the disturbance is not the cause of output in a control loop is based simply on the fact that the output of the system is caused by the CV, the value of which is determined by the combination of effect disturbance and output. .

BA: I pointed out that for most folks, both causes would be considered to be acting on the CV, even when the net effect was zero.Â

RM: As do I. The value of the CV is caused by both the disturbance and output.Â

Â

BA: I also noted that in proportional control systems the output’s effect on the CV does not completely offset the effect of a disturbance, because some error must remain in order to produce the output necessary to oppose the disturbance, and error depends on the difference between reference and perceptual signal.

RM: Right, it’s the difference between reference and perceptual signal, the value of the latter representing the combined effects of disturbance and output. So the discrepancy between perception and reference is not caused by just the disturbance so that the output caused by the discrepancy is always a result of an unknown combination of the effects of disturbance and output on the perception.

Â

BA: You have also asserted that the CV is the only cause of the output, because in a circular loop of causality, a change in the CV is the only reason for a change in the output, which then feedback to affect the CV itself. However, given steady parameters and a fixed reference value, the only reason why the CV changes is the effect of the disturbance on the CV.Â

RM: No, the system is continuously varying its output. So the reason the CV changes is due to the combined effect of disturbance and output. That is, it’s always true the q.i = g(o) + h(d). There is never a time when the only reason q.i (the CV) changes is due to the effect of the disturbance alone.

Â

BA: This effect propagates around the loop to change the output, and to the extent that this change of output fails to completely oppose the effect of the disturbance on a given iteration of the loop, the residual effect of the disturbance continues to propagate around the loop to produce yet more change of output, until the effect of the disturbance is almost (but not quite) entirely opposed. Thus, the only independent effect on the output is the effect of the disturbance.

RM: Again, this analysis assumes that the disturbance is the only cause of the changes in CV that cause the outputs that compensate for the disturbance. In fact, this is never true; the output itself is always causing variations in the CV along with the disturbance. There is no way to disentangle these two simultaneous causes of the state of the CV. The output of a control system is simply aimed at bringing the CV to the reference; in the process it is opposing any effects of disturbances to that CV. The control system is not producing its output as a reaction to the disturbance; this is an illusion. It is producing output as a reaction to variations in the CV relative the reference signal.Â

Â

BA: I think that you were at pains to “proveâ€? that a causal relation between disturbance and output does not exist, because of a mistaken belief that this relationship would constitute the forward equation in a control system.Â

RM: It was no pain at all; Bill proved it in the 1978 Psych review paper. The output of a negative feedback control system is not caused by the disturbance to the controlled variable; it just looks that way.

Â

BA: In fact it reflects mainly the inverse of the feedback function. Mistaking this inverse function (which is mainly a property of the environment) for the forward system equation is what Powers described as the “behavioral illusion.�

RM: Exactly!Â

BA: What Powers called the “cause-effect model of behavior� refers to the open-loop model of behavior, in which a cause (e.g., a stimulus) produces an effect (e.g. a response) in a direct causal chain not affected by feedback. In this model, the relation between cause and effect is a characteristic of the inner workings of the organism.

RM: Right. And that is the old cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology that breaks down when one is dealing with an "N system ".Â

Â

BA:  If the stimulus functions as a disturbance to a controlled variable, and the response functions as the control system’s change of output due to the disturbance, then the open-loop, cause-effect model is incorrect;

RM: Right, if the system under study is an “N-system” – a negative feedback control system – then the open-loop, cause-effect model is incorrect.Â

Â

BA: In such a case I agree with Powers and reject this misleadingly labeled cause-effect model of behavior. (Calling this the “open loop model of behavior� rather than the “causal� or “cause-effect� model would avoid the misleading implications that one is rejecting all causal models.)

RM: OK, so it’s the open-loop cause-effect model that Bill is talking about. So then do you agree with Powers that when we are dealing with an N-systems – closed-loop control systems, which all organisms are --Â Â not only the old open-loop cause effect model of behavior breaks down but the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down as well

Martin Taylor (2017.10.16.21.34)–

MT: I quite agree with Bruce, that the term “open-loop” is much less confusing than “cause-effect” when one is talking about open-loop effects.Â

RM: So then do you also agree with Powers that when we are dealing with closed-loop control systems not only the old open-loop model of behavior breaks down but the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down as well?

Best

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[From Bruce Abbott (2017.10.17.2020 EDT)]

Rick Marken (2017.10.17.0950) –

Bruce Abbott (2017.10.16.1505 EDT)

RM: So that’s it. Like Powers I don’t reject causality but I do reject the cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology. That is, I agree heartily with Bill’s statement above: "Not only the old cause-effect model breaks down when one is dealing with an N system, the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down also".

BA: …Your contention [that the disturbance is not a cause of output] is apparently was based on the idea that, if the output counteracts the disturbance, then the disturbance has had no causal influence on the CV

RM: No, my contention that the disturbance is not the cause of output in a control loop is based simply on the fact that the output of the system is caused by the CV, the value of which is determined by the combination of effect disturbance and output. .

BA: The interested reader (if any such exist, which I doubt) will note that in order to appear to be disagreeing with me, Rick has changed my “a cause� to “the cause.� Given what I actually did write, he is actually agreeing with me.

BA: I pointed out that for most folks, both causes would be considered to be acting on the CV, even when the net effect was zero.

RM: As do I. The value of the CV is caused by both the disturbance and output.

BA: O.K., let’s proceed on that basis.

BA: I also noted that in proportional control systems the output’s effect on the CV does not completely offset the effect of a disturbance, because some error must remain in order to produce the output necessary to oppose the disturbance, and error depends on the difference between reference and perceptual signal.

RM: Right, it’s the difference between reference and perceptual signal, the value of the latter representing the combined effects of disturbance and output. So the discrepancy between perception and reference is not caused by just the disturbance so that the output caused by the discrepancy is always a result of an unknown combination of the effects of disturbance and output on the perception.

BA: I deal with that issue in my post as I develop the argument for my position. Apparently, at this point in writing your reply, you have not yet read my argument, let alone consider whether its reasoning is sound. If would save the reader a lot of useless reading if you would first read and try to understand the entire argument before you attempt a reply.

BA: You have also asserted that the CV is the only cause of the output, because in a circular loop of causality, a change in the CV is the only reason for a change in the output, which then feedback to affect the CV itself. However, given steady parameters and a fixed reference value, the only reason why the CV changes is the effect of the disturbance on the CV.

RM: No, the system is continuously varying its output. So the reason the CV changes is due to the combined effect of disturbance and output. That is, it’s always true the q.i = g(o) + h(d). There is never a time when the only reason q.i (the CV) changes is due to the effect of the disturbance alone.

BA: Yes, it is always true that q.i = g(o) + h(d). But there is indeed a time when a change in q.i. is due entirely to a change in the disturbance. This is when the system is initially in a steady state. When the disturbance changes, this change propagates around the loop to the output, which then also changes. Although q.i is the sum of both g(o) and h(d), I think you will agree that if o is initially constant, then the change in o must be due (via the causal chain) to the change in d.

BA: This effect propagates around the loop to change the output, and to the extent that this change of output fails to completely oppose the effect of the disturbance on a given iteration of the loop, the residual effect of the disturbance continues to propagate around the loop to produce yet more change of output, until the effect of the disturbance is almost (but not quite) entirely opposed. Thus, the only independent effect on the output is the effect of the disturbance.

RM: Again, this analysis assumes that the disturbance is the only cause of the changes in CV that cause the outputs that compensate for the disturbance. In fact, this is never true; the output itself is always causing variations in the CV along with the disturbance.

BA: How can this be “never true� when I just described a case in which it is true? Pay attention!

BA: It is true that q.i = g(o) + h(d). But it is also true that change in q.i = change in g(o) + change in h(d). If g(o) is constant, then change in q.i = change in h(d). So your argument against mine must be that g(o) is never constant, ever: “the output itself is always causing variations in the CV along with the disturbance.� This assertion simply ignores my analysis. In case you missed it, I reproduce it below . Try to reason through it this time.

BA: This effect propagates around the loop to change the output, and to the extent that this change of output fails to completely oppose the effect of the disturbance on a given iteration of the loop, the residual effect of the disturbance continues to propagate around the loop to produce yet more change of output, until the effect of the disturbance is almost (but not quite) entirely opposed. Thus, the only independent effect on the output is the effect of the disturbance.

BA: But perhaps you agree that this happens in the special case in which a constant disturbance is suddenly imposed. In that case your claim is that it does not hold true generally. That this may be your view is suggested by the following:

RM: There is no way to disentangle these two simultaneous causes of the state of the CV.

BA: But I just did, at least for the case of a suddenly applied constant disturbance. For the case in which the disturbance continues to vary over time, the effects of disturbance and output do indeed become entangled, with as-yet uncompensated effects of the disturbance producing variations in output that get added to in-progress changes in the disturbance. However, the ability of the analyst to disentangle these effects has no bearing on what is the ultimate source of those changes, which are the ongoing changes in the disturbance.

BA: Thus the only independent cause of a change in output is a change in the disturbance. (I am assuming a constant reference and constant system parameters.) If we add in a time-varying reference signal, then we have only two such independent causes.

RM: The output of a control system is simply aimed at bringing the CV to the reference; in the process it is opposing any effects of disturbances to that CV. The control system is not producing its output as a reaction to the disturbance; this is an illusion. It is producing output as a reaction to variations in the CV relative the reference signal.

BA: Yes, of course! But this truth has nothing to do with the analysis I have presented as to the source(s) of variation in the output. One can trace a causal chain from changes in the disturbance to changes in output. Because of negative feedback, the observed relationship between the two is approximately the inverse of the environmental feedback function. The behavioral illusion is not the idea that disturbances (“stimuli�) have no causal relationship to output (“responses�); my analysis shows that a causal relationship does in fact exist. The behavioral illusion is that the observed relationship is mistakenly viewed as a characteristic of the organism, rather than as is actually the case, mainly a characteristic of the environment.

BA: I think that you were at pains to “prove� that a causal relation between disturbance and output does not exist, because of a mistaken belief that this relationship would constitute the forward equation in a control system.

RM: It was no pain at all; Bill proved it in the 1978 Psych review paper. The output of a negative feedback control system is not caused by the disturbance to the controlled variable; it just looks that way.

BA: Bill proved no such thing. It is a sign of religious dogmatism when one ignores a sound analysis in order to continue to believe in an idea that has been demonstrated to be false. As I have shown, the output is caused by the disturbance to the controlled variable.  The illusion is that the causal relationship is a characteristic of the organism when in fact it is mainly a characteristic of the environment (the inverse of the feedback function).

BA: In fact it reflects mainly the inverse of the feedback function. Mistaking this inverse function (which is mainly a property of the environment) for the forward system equation is what Powers described as the “behavioral illusion.�

RM: Exactly!

BA: So we agree on that, at least.

BA: What Powers called the “cause-effect model of behavior� refers to the open-loop model of behavior, in which a cause (e.g., a stimulus) produces an effect (e.g. a response) in a direct causal chain not affected by feedback. In this model, the relation between cause and effect is a characteristic of the inner workings of the organism.

RM: Right. And that is the old cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology that breaks down when one is dealing with an "N system ".

BA: If the stimulus functions as a disturbance to a controlled variable, and the response functions as the control system’s change of output due to the disturbance, then the open-loop, cause-effect model is incorrect;

RM: Right, if the system under study is an “N-system” – a negative feedback control system – then the open-loop, cause-effect model is incorrect.

BA: In such a case I agree with Powers and reject this misleadingly labeled cause-effect model of behavior. (Calling this the “open loop model of behavior� rather than the “causal� or “cause-effect� model would avoid the misleading implications that one is rejecting all causal models.)

RM: OK, so it’s the open-loop cause-effect model that Bill is talking about. So then do you agree with Powers that when we are dealing with an N-systems – closed-loop control systems, which all organisms are – not only the old open-loop cause effect model of behavior breaks down but the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down as well?

BA: No. The old open-loop, cause-effect model of behavior only breaks down in the context of a closed-loop system for which the variable in question serves as a disturbance. PCT holds that behavior is the control of perception; this implies that behavior observed in a psychological experiment must be the consequence of a disturbance to a controlled variable, either directly or indirectly. Thus, every experiment must get the participant to cooperate in controlling some variable as the means to elicit participant behavior. But although this behavior serves to control the CV, this typically is incidental to the purpose of the experiment.Â

BA: For example, an experimenter may present a consonant trigram (e.g., CGJ) and ask the participant to repeat it after a delay period during which she has been kept engaged In doing mental arithmetic. (The purpose of this is to minimize the participant’s opportunity to silently rehearse the trigram.) This is a classic test of short-term memory; the results demonstrate that the ability to correctly recall the trigram falls off steeply with time (Peterson & Peterson, 1959).

BA: The experimental instructions ask the participant to recall the trigram after a specific delay, having continuously performed mental arithmetic in the interim. If the participant cooperates, then she will control for doing the mental arithmetic during the delay and for repeating the trigram (if possible) at the end. Hearing the trigram is the cue to start doing the arithmetic and a cue given at the end of the interval is the cue to stop doing the arithmetic and try to repeat the trigram. One can describe this in terms of program-level control. But the ability to recall the trigram is not the controlled variable either during the interval or after it is over. It is simply a characteristic of the participant’s memory system, and the relationship between delay and accuracy of recall is not an example of the behavioral illusion. There are probably innumerable examples like this one that do not involve the behavioral illusion; consequently I cannot agree that the behavioral illusion “breaks down the entire basis of experimental psychology.� This is far too sweeping a claim.

Bruce

[Martin Taylor 2017.10.17.23.09]

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.17.0950)]

I'm not clear why you persist in using static equations for a

dynamically varying system, but I guess that’s the world you want,
so that’s the world you treat.

Anyway, Bruce happens to be correct. If neither the disturbance nor

the reference changed, neither would anything else in the loop.

No it doesn't. It *asserts* that change in the disturbance is

the only cause of changes all around the loop (provided the
reference stays constant).

That's an unanswerable question. Bill used the claim as a polemical

rhetorical device. He may even have believed it actually said
something. If it does, I don’t know what. I tend to guess that it
really means “Experimental psychologists, wake up and smell the
roses. You are looking in all the wrong places if you want to find
out anything useful.” Substituting “most” for “all” in the second
sentence would produce a statement with which I can agree. But
that’s not what you are asking, is it?

Your question is unanswerable without some kind of definition of the

“basis of experimental psychology”, if indeed there ever has been
one. My understanding of experimental psychology is that
people act on the environment of some subject, observe what happens,
and then theorize about it. Then they see whether their theory
predicts what will happen if they do something else to the same or a
different subject. That’s the best top-of-the-head description I can
come up with for what I would call “the basis of experimental
psychology”. PCT fits within that description, so I do not think PCT
breaks down the very basis of experimental psychology.

I guess I had an unusual introduction to experimental psychology and

experimental psychologists, never having taken undergraduate
psychology in any form, but having a B.A.Sc. in Engineering Physics
and an M.S.E in Industrial Engineering. Before I really knew what
even “psychology” was as a science, the head of the Applied
Psychology division where I was a summer student (and later where I
spent all my working life) was President of the Canadian
Psychological Association. At the time he proclaimed that
undergraduate training in psychology should effectively bar anyone
from becoming a research psychologist (in any of the
sub-disciplines), at least until they had substantial training in
mathematics and physics, possibly biochemistry, and other “hard”
sciences. I believe the CPA was working on a policy statement to
that effect (maybe they published it – I don’t remember). When I
did start graduate work in experimental psychology, one of the
aphorisms that one of my main professors used about experimental
psychology was “If each of two schools of thought say the other is
wrong, they are probably both right.”

With that background, I find it hard to conceive of what might be ***the***
basis of experimental psychology, beyond what I suggested above. But

I do agree with that first boss that at least minimal mathematical
competence is required if one is to do experimental psychology, on
whatever basis.

Martin
···
                Bruce Abbott (2017.10.16.1505

EDT)

BA:  You have also asserted that

the CV is the only cause of the output,
because in a circular loop of causality, a change in
the CV is the only reason for a change in the
output, which then feedback to affect the CV
itself. However, given steady parameters and a
fixed reference value, the only reason why
the CV changes is the effect of the disturbance on
the CV.

RM: No, the system is continuously varying its output.

So the reason the CV changes is due to the * combined
effect* of disturbance and output. That is, it’s
always true the q.i = g(o) + h(d). There is never a time
when the only reason q.i (the CV) changes is due to the
effect of the disturbance alone.

BA: This effect propagates around

the loop to change the output, and to the extent
that this change of output fails to completely
oppose the effect of the disturbance on a given
iteration of the loop, the residual effect of the
disturbance continues to propagate around the loop
to produce yet more change of output, until the
effect of the disturbance is almost (but not quite)
entirely opposed. Thus, the only independent
effect on the output is the effect of the
disturbance.

RM: Again, this analysis assumes that the disturbance

is the only cause of the changes in CV that cause the
outputs that compensate for the disturbance.

Martin Taylor (2017.10.16.21.34)–

MT: I quite agree

with Bruce, that the term “open-loop” is much
less confusing than “cause-effect” when one is
talking about open-loop effects.

RM: So then do you also agree with Powers that when we are

dealing with closed-loop control systems not only the old
open-loop model of behavior breaks down but *** the very
basis of experimental psychology breaks down as well***?

Rick,

I agree that the cause-effect model of behavior breaks down when one is dealing with a negative feedback control system?

The question is only in which point of the loop.

Boris

···

Sent: Monday, October 16, 2017 5:21 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: PCT, Causality and the Cause-Effect Model (was Re: world model)

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.15.2020)]

RM: So that’s it. Like Powers I don’t reject causality but I do reject the cause-effect model that is the basis of experimental psychology. That is, I agree heartily with Bill’s statement above: "Not only the old cause-effect model breaks down when one is dealing with an N system, the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down also". [N-system refers to a negative feedback control system]. I think this must surely be considered one of the most important (and revolutionary) ideas about living control systems that comes from an understanding of PCT. So now that we know that we all agree with Powers in not rejecting causality, do we also all agree with him about rejecting the cause-effect model of behavior?

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.19.1240)]

Bruce Abbott (2017.10.17.2020 EDT)--

RM: So then do you agree with Powers that when we are dealing with an N-systems -- closed-loop control systems, which all organisms are --Â Â not only the old open-loop cause effect model of behavior breaks down but the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down as well?Â

Â

BA: No.Â

Martin Taylor (2017.10.17.23.09)

RM: So then do you also agree with Powers that when we are dealing with closed-loop control systems not only the old open-loop model of behavior breaks down but the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down as well?

MT:Â That's an unanswerable question. Bill used the claim as a polemical rhetorical device

RM: So both Bruce A. and Martin reject the most important conclusion of the analysis and demonstrations presented in Powers' 1978 Psychological Review paper. I already knew this, of course, but it's nice to have it "on record", so to speak, because this is why we have never and will never agree on much about PCT. I don't agree with your "analyses" or your arguments that purport to show that the cause-effect model of behavior still applies even in a negative feedback control system. You have presented these arguments before on CSGNet and I never bought them; and Bill didn't either either. Â
RM: I think Bill's claim that "...the very basis of experimental psychology breaks down " if organisms are control systems is not just a rhetorical device but, rather, the whole point of the Psychological Review paper. The fact that this is true can be gleaned from the title of the paper: Quantitative Analysis of Purposive Systems: Some Spadework at the Foundations of Experimental Psychology. This title slyly alludes to the fact that the analysis presented in the paper will chip away at the basic assumptions of scientific psychology. And indeed, the analysis doesn't just "chip away" at these foundations; it shows that the whole edifice of scientific psychology is based on an illusion: the illusion that environmental input causes behavioral output (or, in PCT lingo, that disturbances cause output).
RM: The Psychological Review paper is the shot across the bow of the PCT revolution. Bill realized that if PCT is right, much (most?) of what has been done in scientific psychology is wrong. Or, as Bill wrote in the Foreword to "Mind Readings", my first collection of papers on PCT (most, or probably all, of them written before Bill's theory was even called PCT): "Nearly every model in these papers...is the sort that ought to convey to the reader a straightforward message: if the phenomenon you see here really works as the model shows it to work, then a whole segment of the scientific literature needs to be deposited in the wastebasket."Â
RM: So what is revolutionary about PCT is that it shows that scientific psychology has to give up its old ways and start in an entirely new and unfamiliar direction based on recognition of the fact that organisms are control systems and an understanding of how to study such systems. Experiments 5 and 6 at the end of Bill's Psychological Review paper gives some examples of the kinds studies one might do to understand the behavior of living control systems. The goals and methods of research that are used to study organisms as living control systems will be very different from those that are currently used to study organisms as though they there were cause-effect systems. This is the true revolution of PCT and its the one that very few scientific psychologists have agreed to participate in because they continue to see merit in the "old order." I understand why this is true but, still, it is somewhat depressing because many of these people are, like you, very bright and could have made great contributions to progress in the study of living control systems.Â
BestÂ
Rick

···

--
Richard S. MarkenÂ

[Martin Taylor 2017.10.19.17.01]

What on earth are you talking about? I simply can't track the logic

between what either Bruce or I have ever written and what you say
here, so there’s really no solid basis for contradicting you.
Whatever I would say would vanish into smoke, judging from past (and
recent) experience. I have the impression that you are controlling and have been
controlling some perception that is disturbed by a perception that I
have written a message, and the countering action is to announce
that I am a proponent of S-R psychology and always have been. I hope
that ,as a frequent response to a posting of mine that you either
didn’t read or didn’t think about, sounds as ridiculous to other
readers as it does to me, just saying it.
What “arguments” are you talking about? (I might remind you of an
occasion when you said something like the above, and Bill’s response
to you was to the effect of “Think who you are talking about!”)
I don’t think “a rhetorical device” is what it was, though I’m not
sure what that term means to you. A “polemic rhetorical device”,
yes, as I think of it. There’s a bit of difference when you include
the adjective. Bill always felt that he was not understood by the
mainstream, and that people who had learned to think on the basis of
one programme of training would not (and should not) take PCT as an
easily understood amendment to their thinking. They needed to be
jolted out of the rutted track on which they were travelling in
order to find their way to the highway. I think he might have been
right, but it’s equally possible that he wasn’t. As Geoff Hinton has said, in a high-enough dimensional system, there
is usually a route out of any apparent local minimum. Hence the need
for what I have said is an exaggerated claim. As I said in the
message you didn’t read, the so-called “cause-effect model” has very
little to do with “the very basis of experimental psychology.”
I know (and have known) that this was Bill’s target. BUT IT IS NOT
THE BASIS OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY at least as I know it and
explained in the message you purport to be responding to.
Is there really any chance that one day you might come across a
message of mine AND READ IT before telling me how wrong I am?
Martin

···

On 2017/10/19 3:41 PM, Richard Marken
wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.19.1240)]

Bruce Abbott (2017.10.17.2020

EDT)–

RM: So then do you agree with

Powers that when we are dealing with an
N-systems – closed-loop control systems, which
all organisms are – not only the old open-loop
cause effect model of behavior breaks down but *** the
very basis of experimental psychology breaks
down as well***?

BA: No.

Martin Taylor (2017.10.17.23.09)
                                                    RM:

So then do you
also agree with
Powers that when
we are dealing
with closed-loop
control systems
not only the old
open-loop model
of behavior
breaks down but *** the very
basis of
experimental
psychology
breaks down as
well***?

MT: That's an

unanswerable question.
Bill used the claim as a
polemical rhetorical
device

RM: So both Bruce A. and Martin reject the most

important conclusion of the analysis and demonstrations
presented in Powers’ 1978 Psychological Review
paper. I already knew this, of course, but it’s nice to
have it “on record”, so to speak, because this is why we
have never and will never agree on much about PCT. I
don’t agree with your “analyses” or your arguments that
purport to show that the cause-effect model of behavior
still applies even in a negative feedback control system.

You have presented these arguments before on CSGNet and

I never bought them; and Bill didn’t either either.

RM: I think Bill's claim that "...the very basis of

experimental psychology breaks down " if organisms are
control systems is not just a rhetorical device but,
rather, the whole point of the Psychological Review paper.

The fact that this is true can be gleaned from the

title of the paper: * Quantitative Analysis of Purposive
Systems: Some Spadework at the Foundations of
Experimental Psychology* . This title slyly alludes to
the fact that the analysis presented in the paper will
chip away at the basic assumptions of scientific
psychology. And indeed, the analysis doesn’t just “chip
away” at these foundations; it shows that the whole
edifice of scientific psychology is based on an illusion:
the illusion that environmental input causes behavioral
output (or, in PCT lingo, that disturbances cause output).

[From Rick Marken (2017.10.20.2245)]

···

[Martin Taylor 2017.10.19.17.01]

MT: What on earth are you talking about?Â

RM: It looks pretty clear to me. I don’t know how to make it clearer.Â

MT: What “arguments” are you talking about?

RM: I think Bruce just posted a “proof” of the sort you have posted on CSGNet several times before to prove that the disturbance is a cause of output in a control loop. I’m sure if you go through the CSGNet archives you’ll find discussions of this topic, which first came up as the topic of “information about the disturbance in perception”.

MT: I don't think "a rhetorical device" is what it was, though I'm not

sure what that term means to you. A “polemic rhetorical device”,
yes, as I think of it.

RM: And I disagree. Bill said that basis of experimental psychology breaks down when you are dealing with living control systems because that’s what he showed in the “Quantitative Analysis of Purposive Systems” paper. It wasn’t a “polemic rhetorical device”; it was a statement of fact.

MT: As I said in the

message you didn’t read, the so-called “cause-effect model” has very
little to do with “the very basis of experimental psychology.”

RM: OK, you say that. What I say (and give plenty of evidence for in my “Revolution” paper, which I recommend to you: www.dropbox.com/s/i22j56akb4btlu5/RevolutionPub.pdf?dl=0) is that the cause-effect model is the basis of experimental psychology.Â

MT: I know (and have known) that this was Bill's target. BUT IT IS NOT

THE BASIS OF EXPERIMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY at least as I know it and
explained in the message you purport to be responding to.

RM: Right. So you disagree with Bill’s conclusion in the “Spadework” paper. I don’t. Maybe you are right. Maybe Bill and I are wrong. Obviously I am convinced by Bill and not by you. But all I am pointing out is that you disagree with Bill’s conclusion in that paper. Therefore, you and I are not doing the same PCT. For me, Bill’s “Spadework” paper defines the essence of PCT; what is most overwhelmingly important about it (that it invalidates the foundationl assumptions of scientific psychology). You don’t. So we have a rather fundamentally different view of PCT. That’s all I’m saying. Most people in this group seem to like your view (and Bruce’s) better than mine so you should be happy. I’m pretty much one man out here.

MT: Is there really any chance that one day you might come across a

message of mine AND READ IT before telling me how wrong I am?

RM: Actually, I do read your messages and the main point of my message wasn’t that you were wrong about anything. Again, the point of my message was (and is) simply to point out that you don’t agree with Bill’s fundamental conclusion in his 1978 Psychological Review article.The fact that I not only agree with Bill’s conclusion in that paper but think it is the most important conclusion a scientific psychologist can derive from PCT explains why I think that your (and Bruce’s) view of PCT science is rather dramatically different than mine.

RM: So both Bruce A. and Martin reject the most

important conclusion of the analysis and demonstrations
presented in Powers’ 1978 Psychological Review
paper. I already knew this, of course, but it’s nice to
have it “on record”, so to speak, because this is why we
have never and will never agree on much about PCT. I
don’t agree with your “analyses” or your arguments that
purport to show that the cause-effect model of behavior
still applies even in a negative feedback control system.

RM: You have presented these arguments before on CSGNet and

I never bought them; and Bill didn’t either either. Â

RM: I think Bill's claim that "...the very basis of

experimental psychology breaks down " if organisms are
control systems is not just a rhetorical device but,
rather, the whole point of the Psychological Review paper.

RM: The fact that this is true can be gleaned from the

title of the paper: * Quantitative Analysis of Purposive
Systems: Some Spadework at the Foundations of
Experimental Psychology* . This title slyly alludes to
the fact that the analysis presented in the paper will
chip away at the basic assumptions of scientific
psychology. And indeed, the analysis doesn’t just “chip
away” at these foundations; it shows that the whole
edifice of scientific psychology is based on an illusion:
the illusion that environmental input causes behavioral
output (or, in PCT lingo, that disturbances cause output).

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ