PCT Dissection of an Example

Boris et al:

Here is a description of a commonplace incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

The firewood supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock of firewood.

I bundle up, go outside, pick up a short log, place it on the chopping block, grab the axe that is leaning against the chopping block, raise it above my head and swing it downward, striking the log in the center with the sharp edge of the axe and splitting the log into two pieces. I continue doing this until I have an adequate supply of firewood, which I then carry back into the cabin.

So what, if anything, are the controlled quantities in that example? What reference signals are involved? What perceptual signals are involved? What errors seem to be producing outputs? What outputs are being produced? What input signals are involved? How are those outputs affecting my perceptions?

Fred Nickols

[From Rick Marken (2017.12.27.1020)]

···

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 7:56 AM, Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us wrote:

FN: Here is a description of a commonplace incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

FN: The firewood supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock of firewood.

FN: I bundle up, go outside, pick up a short log, place it on the chopping block, grab the axe that is leaning against the chopping block, raise it above my head and swing it downward, striking the log in the center with the sharp edge of the axe and splitting the log into two pieces. I continue doing this until I have an adequate supply of firewood, which I then carry back into the cabin.

FN: So what, if anything, are the controlled quantities in that example? What reference signals are involved? What perceptual signals are involved? What errors seem to be producing outputs? What outputs are being produced? What input signals are involved? How are those outputs affecting my perceptions?

RM: Here’s my take. One controlled quantity (probably the highest level one) is the amount of firewood in the cabin. What I would guess is controlled is a program type variable such as “if (amount of firewood) < x then set (amount of firewood) = y”, where x and x are what you consider to be the minimal and “full” amount of firewood in the cabin, respectively. The reference for this program perception is “true”. So when the amount firewood goes below x there is an error (output) which sets a reference for lower level systems that will bring the amount of firewood to y and make the program “true” again. Â

RM: The lower level references that maintain this program at “true” are for systems controlling for quantities that are seen as behaviors that you describe as bundling up, going outside, picking up a short log, placing it on the chopping block, grabbing the ax and splitting logs into two pieces. The controlled quantity for “bundling up” would be something like the heaviness of the garments being worn, the reference for this variable is “heavy” and the output would be putting on (or taking off) clothing as necessary ; the controlled quantity for “going outside” is your location relative to the cabin, the reference is “outside” and the output is opening the door and walking out; the controlled quantity for “picking up a short log” is the location of a short log, the reference for this variable is “in hand” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “placing the log on the chopping block” is the relationship of the log to the chopping block, the reference is “upright on the block” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “grabbing the ax” is the location of the ax, the reference is, again, “in hand” and the output is grasping the ax, presumably with a different hand than the one used to control for the the log being upright; and the controlled quantity for “splitting the log” is the degree of split in the log, the reference is “completely in two”, and the output is swinging the ax down in the middle of the top of the upright log. Of course, these variables must be controlled in the appropriate sequence (you have to leave the cabin before picking up the log, for edxample) so the references for all these controlled quantities have to be set by a higher level system that is controlling for the appropriate sequence of these behaviors.

RM: The last part of this sequence – picking up and splitting the logs – must be carried out until the amount of split logs is equal to y. Then you carry the logs in (which involves controlling a whole lot of different controlled quantities in its own right) and once the logs are in the cabin the controlled program perception is in its reference state (“true”); now you can sit, relax by the fire and have a nice tall shot of Jack Daniels.Â

RM: All of the outputs described here are, of course, themselves examples of controlling with controlled quantities, references for these quantities and outputs that keep these quantities under control. For example, the output used to grab the ax – grasping the ax – involves controlling for feeling the pressure of the ax handle against the fingers and palm; so the controlled quantity is pressure, the reference is “just the right amount” and the output is muscle tensions that produce the forces that wrap the hand tightly around the ax handle.Â

RM: I think this is a great exercise, Fred. It’s very much like the one Bill describes in “A Cybernetic Model for Research in Human Development” which is reprinted in Living Control Systems (pp. 167-219). In particular see the example of “getting ready to back a stick shift car out of a driveway” on pp 171-176. We actually started an exercise that extended this approach to identifying controlled variables for other behaviors. We started this spreadsheet about two years go but apparently lost interest. Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmS6tOjt_nvrpmD5sGySwup0ZZCU_hYtZqlHxW80dME/edit?usp=sharing

RM: Your example of chopping wood would be a nice addition. It motivates me to revisit this approach to doing some actual PCT research.Â

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.27.1459 ET)]

I really like your analysis, Rick. I’ll print and study it to make sure I understand.

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 1:19 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: PCT Dissection of an Example

FN: Here is a description of a commonplace incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

FN: The firewood supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock of firewood.

FN: I bundle up, go outside, pick up a short log, place it on the chopping block, grab the axe that is leaning against the chopping block, raise it above my head and swing it downward, striking the log in the center with the sharp edge of the axe and splitting the log into two pieces. I continue doing this until I have an adequate supply of firewood, which I then carry back into the cabin.

FN: So what, if anything, are the controlled quantities in that example? What reference signals are involved? What perceptual signals are involved? What errors seem to be producing outputs? What outputs are being produced? What input signals are involved? How are those outputs affecting my perceptions?

RM: Here’s my take. One controlled quantity (probably the highest level one) is the amount of firewood in the cabin. What I would guess is controlled is a program type variable such as “if (amount of firewood) < x then set (amount of firewood) = y”, where x and x are what you consider to be the minimal and “full” amount of firewood in the cabin, respectively. The reference for this program perception is “true”. So when the amount firewood goes below x there is an error (output) which sets a reference for lower level systems that will bring the amount of firewood to y and make the program “true” again.

RM: The lower level references that maintain this program at “true” are for systems controlling for quantities that are seen as behaviors that you describe as bundling up, going outside, picking up a short log, placing it on the chopping block, grabbing the ax and splitting logs into two pieces. The controlled quantity for “bundling up” would be something like the heaviness of the garments being worn, the reference for this variable is “heavy” and the output would be putting on (or taking off) clothing as necessary ; the controlled quantity for “going outside” is your location relative to the cabin, the reference is “outside” and the output is opening the door and walking out; the controlled quantity for “picking up a short log” is the location of a short log, the reference for this variable is “in hand” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “placing the log on the chopping block” is the relationship of the log to the chopping block, the reference is “upright on the block” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “grabbing the ax” is the location of the ax, the reference is, again, “in hand” and the output is grasping the ax, presumably with a different hand than the one used to control for the the log being upright; and the controlled quantity for “splitting the log” is the degree of split in the log, the reference is “completely in two”, and the output is swinging the ax down in the middle of the top of the upright log. Of course, these variables must be controlled in the appropriate sequence (you have to leave the cabin before picking up the log, for edxample) so the references for all these controlled quantities have to be set by a higher level system that is controlling for the appropriate sequence of these behaviors.

RM: The last part of this sequence – picking up and splitting the logs – must be carried out until the amount of split logs is equal to y. Then you carry the logs in (which involves controlling a whole lot of different controlled quantities in its own right) and once the logs are in the cabin the controlled program perception is in its reference state (“true”); now you can sit, relax by the fire and have a nice tall shot of Jack Daniels.

RM: All of the outputs described here are, of course, themselves examples of controlling with controlled quantities, references for these quantities and outputs that keep these quantities under control. For example, the output used to grab the ax – grasping the ax – involves controlling for feeling the pressure of the ax handle against the fingers and palm; so the controlled quantity is pressure, the reference is “just the right amount” and the output is muscle tensions that produce the forces that wrap the hand tightly around the ax handle.

RM: I think this is a great exercise, Fred. It’s very much like the one Bill describes in “A Cybernetic Model for Research in Human Development” which is reprinted in Living Control Systems (pp. 167-219). In particular see the example of “getting ready to back a stick shift car out of a driveway” on pp 171-176. We actually started an exercise that extended this approach to identifying controlled variables for other behaviors. We started this spreadsheet about two years go but apparently lost interest. Here it is:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JmS6tOjt_nvrpmD5sGySwup0ZZCU_hYtZqlHxW80dME/edit?usp=sharing

RM: Your example of chopping wood would be a nice addition. It motivates me to revisit this approach to doing some actual PCT research.

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken

–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.27.1512)]

One quick comment, Rick.  It seems to me that all of the “controlled quantities� you identified fit the definition of some “perceived aspect of the environment.� Is that correct?

Fred Nickols

···

FN: Here is a description of a commonplace incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

FN: The firewood supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock of firewood.

FN: I bundle up, go outside, pick up a short log, place it on the chopping block, grab the axe that is leaning against the chopping block, raise it above my head and swing it downward, striking the log in the center with the sharp edge of the axe and splitting the log into two pieces. I continue doing this until I have an adequate supply of firewood, which I then carry back into the cabin.

FN: So what, if anything, are the controlled quantities in that example? What reference signals are involved? What perceptual signals are involved? What errors seem to be producing outputs? What outputs are being produced? What input signals are involved? How are those outputs affecting my perceptions?

RM: Here’s my take. One controlled quantity (probably the highest level one) is the amount of firewood in the cabin. What I would guess is controlled is a program type variable such as “if (amount of firewood) < x then set (amount of firewood) = y”, where x and x are what you consider to be the minimal and “full” amount of firewood in the cabin, respectively. The reference for this program perception is “true”. So when the amount firewood goes below x there is an error (output) which sets a reference for lower level systems that will bring the amount of firewood to y and make the program “true” again.

RM: The lower level references that maintain this program at “true” are for systems controlling for quantities that are seen as behaviors that you describe as bundling up, going outside, picking up a short log, placing it on the chopping block, grabbing the ax and splitting logs into two pieces. The controlled quantity for “bundling up” would be something like the heaviness of the garments being worn, the reference for this variable is “heavy” and the output would be putting on (or taking off) clothing as necessary ; the controlled quantity for “going outside” is your location relative to the cabin, the reference is “outside” and the output is opening the door and walking out; the controlled quantity for “picking up a short log” is the location of a short log, the reference for this variable is “in hand” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “placing the log on the chopping block” is the relationship of the log to the chopping block, the reference is “upright on the block” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “grabbing the ax” is the location of the ax, the reference is, again, “in hand” and the output is grasping the ax, presumably with a different hand than the one used to control for the the log being upright; and the controlled quantity for “splitting the log” is the degree of split in the log, the reference is “completely in two”, and the output is swinging the ax down in the middle of the top of the upright log. Of course, these variables must be controlled in the appropriate sequence (you have to leave the cabin before picking up the log, for edxample) so the references for all these controlled quantities have to be set by a higher level system that is controlling for the appropriate sequence of these behaviors.

RM: The last part of this sequence – picking up and splitting the logs – must be carried out until the amount of split logs is equal to y. Then you carry the logs in (which involves controlling a whole lot of different controlled quantities in its own right) and once the logs are in the cabin the controlled program perception is in its reference state (“true”); now you can sit, relax by the fire and have a nice tall shot of Jack Daniels.

RM: All of the outputs described here are, of course, themselves examples of controlling with controlled quantities, references for these quantities and outputs that keep these quantities under control. For example, the output used to grab the ax – grasping the ax – involves controlling for feeling the pressure of the ax handle against the fingers and palm; so the controlled quantity is pressure, the reference is “just the right amount” and the output is muscle tensions that produce the forces that wrap the hand tightly around the ax handle.

RM: I think this is a great exercise, Fred. It’s very much like the one Bill describes in “A Cybernetic Model for Research in Human Development” which is reprinted in Living Control Systems (pp. 167-219). In particular see the example of “getting ready to back a stick shift car out of a driveway” on pp 171-176. We actually started an exercise that extended this approach to identifying controlled variables for other behaviors. We started this spreadsheet about two years go but apparently lost interest. Here it is:

RM: Your example of chopping wood would be a nice addition. It motivates me to revisit this approach to doing some actual PCT research.

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken

[From Rick Marken (2017.12.27.1250)]

···

Fred Nickols (2017.12.27.1512)–

FN: One quick comment, Rick. It seems to me that all of the “controlled quantitiesâ€? you identified fit the definition of some “perceived aspect of the environment.â€? Is that correct?

RM: Yes, and, most important, they are descriptions of variable aspects of the environment, because we control variables. The program “if (amount of firewood) < x then set (amount of firewood) = y” is a variable (it can either be happening (true) or not); “amount of firewood” is a variable (it can go from zero to a lot), “the heaviness of the garments being worn” is a variable (going from light to heavy) ;“your location relative to the cabin” is a variable (going from in to out); “the location of a short log” is a variable (going from near to far); “the relationship of the log to the chopping block” is a variable (going from near to far); “the location of the ax” is a variable (going from near the hand to far); “the degree of split in the log” is a variable (going from no split to split in two); “the pressure of the ax handle against the fingers and palm” is a variable (going from none to very strong pressure).Â

RM: We often describe our perceptions in terms of states of perceptual variables rather than in terms of the variables themselves. So I would describe what I am perceiving now as a laptop computer on a table with a mouse on my right. But what I am describing are the current states of perceptual variables: a laptop computer, on the table, mouse on the right. The fact that these perceptions are variables can be seen by realizing that the states of these perceptions can be different than what they currently are. The computer could be a desktop rather than a laptop; it could be under rather than on the table, the mouse could be on the left rather than the right of the computer. Our current experience of the world, according to PCT, is the current state of perceptual variables of different types and it is these variables that we control.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Fred Nickols

Â

Â

Â

FN: Here is a description of a commonplace incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

FN: The firewood supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock of firewood.

FN: I bundle up, go outside, pick up a short log, place it on the chopping block, grab the axe that is leaning against the chopping block, raise it above my head and swing it downward, striking the log in the center with the sharp edge of the axe and splitting the log into two pieces. I continue doing this until I have an adequate supply of firewood, which I then carry back into the cabin.

FN: So what, if anything, are the controlled quantities in that example? What reference signals are involved? What perceptual signals are involved? What errors seem to be producing outputs? What outputs are being produced? What input signals are involved? How are those outputs affecting my perceptions?

RM: Here’s my take. One controlled quantity (probably the highest level one) is the amount of firewood in the cabin. What I would guess is controlled is a program type variable such as “if (amount of firewood) < x then set (amount of firewood) = y”, where x and x are what you consider to be the minimal and “full” amount of firewood in the cabin, respectively. The reference for this program perception is “true”. So when the amount firewood goes below x there is an error (output) which sets a reference for lower level systems that will bring the amount of firewood to y and make the program “true” again. Â

Â

RM: The lower level references that maintain this program at “true” are for systems controlling for quantities that are seen as behaviors that you describe as bundling up, going outside, picking up a short log, placing it on the chopping block, grabbing the ax and splitting logs into two pieces. The controlled quantity for “bundling up” would be something like the heaviness of the garments being worn, the reference for this variable is “heavy” and the output would be putting on (or taking off) clothing as necessary ; the controlled quantity for “going outside” is your location relative to the cabin, the reference is “outside” and the output is opening the door and walking out; the controlled quantity for “picking up a short log” is the location of a short log, the reference for this variable is “in hand” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “placing the log on the chopping block” is the relationship of the log to the chopping block, the reference is “upright on the block” and the output is grasping and moving the log; the controlled quantity for “grabbing the ax” is the location of the ax, the reference is, again, “in hand” and the output is grasping the ax, presumably with a different hand than the one used to control for the the log being upright; and the controlled quantity for “splitting the log” is the degree of split in the log, the reference is “completely in two”, and the output is swinging the ax down in the middle of the top of the upright log. Of course, these variables must be controlled in the appropriate sequence (you have to leave the cabin before picking up the log, for edxample) so the references for all these controlled quantities have to be set by a higher level system that is controlling for the appropriate sequence of these behaviors.

Â

RM: The last part of this sequence – picking up and splitting the logs – must be carried out until the amount of split logs is equal to y. Then you carry the logs in (which involves controlling a whole lot of different controlled quantities in its own right) and once the logs are in the cabin the controlled program perception is in its reference state (“true”); now you can sit, relax by the fire and have a nice tall shot of Jack Daniels.Â

Â

RM: All of the outputs described here are, of course, themselves examples of controlling with controlled quantities, references for these quantities and outputs that keep these quantities under control. For example, the output used to grab the ax – grasping the ax – involves controlling for feeling the pressure of the ax handle against the fingers and palm; so the controlled quantity is pressure, the reference is “just the right amount” and the output is muscle tensions that produce the forces that wrap the hand tightly around the ax handle.Â

Â

RM: I think this is a great exercise, Fred. It’s very much like the one Bill describes in “A Cybernetic Model for Research in Human Development” which is reprinted in Living Control Systems (pp. 167-219). In particular see the example of “getting ready to back a stick shift car out of a driveway” on pp 171-176. We actually started an exercise that extended this approach to identifying controlled variables for other behaviors. We started this spreadsheet about two years go but apparently lost interest. Here it is:

Â

RM: Your example of chopping wood would be a nice addition. It motivates me to revisit this approach to doing some actual PCT research.Â

Â

Best regards

Â

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.28.0919)]

A couple of questions of clarification re the second paragraph below.Â

···

Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 3:54 PM

[From Rick Marken (2017.12.27.1250)]

Fred Nickols (2017.12.27.1512)–

FN: One quick comment, Rick. It seems to me that all of the “controlled quantities� you identified fit the definition of some “perceived aspect of the environment.� Is that correct?

RM: Yes, and, most important, they are descriptions of variable aspects of the environment, because we control variables. The program “if (amount of firewood) < x then set (amount of firewood) = y” is a variable (it can either be happening (true) or not); “amount of firewood” is a variable (it can go from zero to a lot), “the heaviness of the garments being worn” is a variable (going from light to heavy) ;“your location relative to the cabin” is a variable (going from in to out); “the location of a short log” is a variable (going from near to far); “the relationship of the log to the chopping block” is a variable (going from near to far); “the location of the ax” is a variable (going from near the hand to far); “the degree of split in the log” is a variable (going from no split to split in two); “the pressure of the ax handle against the fingers and palm” is a variable (going from none to very strong pressure).

RM: We often describe our perceptions in terms of states of perceptual variables rather than in terms of the variables themselves. So I would describe what I am perceiving now as a laptop computer on a table with a mouse on my right. But what I am describing are the current states of perceptual variables: a laptop computer, on the table, mouse on the right. The fact that these perceptions are variables can be seen by realizing that the states of these perceptions can be different than what they currently are. The computer could be a desktop rather than a laptop; it could be under rather than on the table, the mouse could be on the left rather than the right of the computer. Our current experience of the world, according to PCT, is the current state of perceptual variables of different types and it is these variables that we control.

[FWN] It seems to me that it is a wee bit confusing to say that the mouse and the laptop are variables. Would it be more accurate to say that the location of the mouse in relation to the laptop is a variable and that the type of computer used is a variable?

Best

Rick

Fred Nickols

Best regards

Rick

Richard S. Marken

Richard S. Marken

david goldstein (2017.12.28.10:29)

re: fred Nichols (2017, 12.26.10:57)

Why do you need to replenish? To keep the house warm enough for you and your family.

How do you keep the house warm enough? All the actions you take. There are other possible actions such as putting on more clothes, using the AC/heating system in your house. I assume that these are available. Also, maybe, you like the sound and sight of a burning fire and to sit in front of the fireplace.

···

-----Original Message-----

To: csgnet csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

Sent: Tue, Dec 26, 2017 10:57 am

Subject: PCT Dissection of an Example

Boris et al:

Here is a description of a commonplace incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

The firewood supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock of firewood.

I bundle up, go outside, pick up a short log, place it on the chopping block, grab the axe that is leaning against the chopping block, raise it above my head and swing it downward, striking the log in the center with the sharp edge of the axe and splitting the log into two pieces. I continue doing this until I have an adequate supply of firewood, which I then carry back into the cabin.

So what, if anything, are the controlled quantities in that example? What reference signals are involved? What perceptual signals are involved? What errors seem to be producing outputs? What outputs are being produced? What input signals are involved? How are those outputs affecting my perceptions?

Fred Nickols

[From Rick Marken (2017.12.28.1520)]

···

Fred Nickols (2017.12.28.0919)

Â

FN: A couple of questions of clarification re the second paragraph below.Â

Â

RM: We often describe our perceptions in terms of states of perceptual variables rather than in terms of the variables themselves. So I would describe what I am perceiving now as a laptop computer on a table with a mouse on my right. But what I am describing are the current states of perceptual variables: a laptop computer, on the table, mouse on the right. The fact that these perceptions are variables can be seen by realizing that the states of these perceptions can be different than what they currently are. The computer could be a desktop rather than a laptop; it could be under rather than on the table, the mouse could be on the left rather than the right of the computer. Our current experience of the world, according to PCT, is the current state of perceptual variables of different types and it is these variables that we control.Â

Â

[FWN] It seems to me that it is a wee bit confusing to say that the mouse and the laptop are variables. Would it be more accurate to say that the location of the mouse in relation to the laptop is a variable and that the type of computer used is a variable?

RM: Yes! That’s what I meant to imply when I said that the computer could be a desktop (rather than a laptop) and when I said that the mouse could be on a different side of the computer.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[From Bruce Abbott (2017.12.28.2220 EST)]

Rick Marken (2017.12.28.1520) –

FN: A couple of questions of clarification re the second paragraph below.

RM: We often describe our perceptions in terms of states of perceptual variables rather than in terms of the variables themselves. So I would describe what I am perceiving now as a laptop computer on a table with a mouse on my right But what I am describing are the current states of perceptual variables: a laptop computer, on the table, mouse on the right. The fact that these perceptions are variables can be seen by realizing that the states of these perceptions can be different than what they currently are. The computer could be a desktop rather than a laptop; it could be under rather than on the table, the mouse could be on the left rather than the right of the computer. Our current experience of the world, according to PCT, is the current state of perceptual variables of different types and it is these variables that we control.

[FWN] It seems to me that it is a wee bit confusing to say that the mouse and the laptop are variables. Would it be more accurate to say that the location of the mouse in relation to the laptop is a variable and that the type of computer used is a variable?

RM: Yes! That’s what I meant to imply when I said that the computer could be a desktop (rather than a laptop) and when I said that the mouse could be on a different side of the computer.

The computer, mouse, and table are perceptual objects. Those perceptual objects have perceptual properties, which are variables. The world of my perception is a construction of my brain, based on its current sensory inputs, prior experience, and innate organization. Thus, what I am experiencing depends not only on current sensory input but also on my knowledge, imagination, and expectations, which help my perceptual systems to interpret that experience and resolve ambiguities. To put it bluntly, perception is not merely a matter of assembling inputs from each level into higher-level perceptions. Perception is as much top down as it is bottom up.

We can, of course, selectively attend to the perceptual properties of objects (including their relations to other objects etc.) – I can judge where the mouse is in relation to the table or notice the color of a cursor on the computer screen as well as its position and motion relative to the screen. We can notice the intensity of a spot of light independent of its position in our visual field, and track how that intensity appears to change over time. But perception is primarily of objects with identifiable properties – a construction of the brain thatt represents the unknowable reality beyond our perceptions sufficiently well to permit us to survive and generally prosper within that reality. When I duck to avoid being hit by a baseball, it is being hit by the baseball I am worried, not the baseball’s distance from my face.

It is well to remember, therefore, that the current levels of the PCT perceptual hierarchy should not be taken too seriously as a model of how our perceptual systems work, as Bill Powers himself consistently warned. For one, it does not explain how what we perceive can in some cases depend strongly on what we expect, and not merely on how perceptions at each level of the hierarchy are combined to form higher level perceptions.

Bruce A.

Hear, hear!

···

On Thu, Dec 28, 2017 at 10:20 PM, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com wrote:

[From Bruce Abbott (2017.12.28.2220 EST)]

Â

Rick Marken (2017.12.28.1520) –

Â

Â

FN: A couple of questions of clarification re the second paragraph below.Â

Â

RM: We often describe our perceptions in terms of states of perceptual variables rather than in terms of the variables themselves. So I would describe what I am perceiving now as a laptop computer on a table with a mouse on my right But what I am describing are the current states of perceptual variables: a laptop computer, on the table, mouse on the right. The fact that these perceptions are variables can be seen by realizing that the states of these perceptions can be different than what they currently are. The computer could be a desktop rather than a laptop; it could be under rather than on the table, the mouse could be on the left rather than the right of the computer. Our current experience of the world, according to PCT, is the current state of perceptual variables of different types and it is these variables that we control.Â

Â

Â

RM: Yes! That’s what I meant to imply when I said that the computer could be a desktop (rather than a laptop) and when I said that the mouse could be on a different side of the computer.Â

Â

The computer, mouse, and table are perceptual objects. Those perceptual objects have perceptual properties, which are variables. The world of my perception is a construction of my brain, based on its current sensory inputs, prior experience, and innate organization. Thus, what I am experiencing depends not only on current sensory input but also on my knowledge, imagination, and expectations, which help my perceptual systems to interpret that experience and resolve ambiguities. To put it bluntly, perception is not merely a matter of assembling inputs from each level into higher-level perceptions. Perception is as much top down as it is bottom up.

Â

We can, of course, selectively attend to the perceptual properties of objects (including their relations to other objects etc.) – I can judge where the mouse is in rellation to the table or notice the color of a cursor on the computer screen as well as its position and motion relative to the screen. We can notice the intensity of a spot of light independent of its position in our visual field, and track how that intensity appears to change over time. But perception is primarily of objects with identifiable properties – a construction of the brain that represents the unknowable reality beyond our perceptions sufficiently well to permit us to survive and generally prosper within that reality. When I duck to avoid being hit by a baseball, it is being hit by the baseball I am worried, not the baseball’s distance from my face.

Â

It is well to remember, therefore, that the current levels of the PCT perceptual hierarchy should not be taken too seriously as a model of how our perceptual systems work, as Bill Powers himself consistently warned. For one, it does not explain how what we perceive can in some cases depend strongly on what we expect, and not merely on how perceptions at each level of the hierarchy are combined to form higher level perceptions.

Â

Bruce A.

[From Rick Marken (2017.12.29.1820]

···

Bruce Abbott (2017.12.28.2220 EST)–

Â

Â

BA: The computer, mouse, and table are perceptual objects

RM: Yes, you can call them that. But they are also the states of perceptual variables, such as “type of computer”, “type of mouse”, “type of table”. If you have ever controlled for getting one of these you are controlled for getting the value of the “object” that you want.Â

Â

BA: Those perceptual objects have perceptual properties, which are variables.Â

RM: Just like the states of all perceptual variables that are more complex than intensities. Â

The world of my perception is a construction of my brain, based on its current sensory inputs, prior experience, and innate organization. Thus, what I am experiencing depends not only on current sensory input but also on my knowledge, imagination, and expectations, which help my perceptual systems to interpret that experience and resolve ambiguities. To put it bluntly, perception is not merely a matter of assembling inputs from each level into higher-level perceptions. Perception is as much top down as it is bottom up.

RM: Probably true. But irrelevant to my point which was simply that out experience is made up of the states of perceptual variables. Â

BA: We can, of course, selectively attend to the perceptual properties of objects

RM: Right. That’s going “down a level” in analyzing our own perceptual experience. We can also go “up a level” and see that “objects” are themselves the properties of “higher level” perceptual variables, such as “type of computer”.Â

Â

BA: It is well to remember, therefore, that the current levels of the PCT perceptual hierarchy should not be taken too seriously as a model of how our perceptual systems work, as Bill Powers himself consistently warned.Â

RM: I think they should be taken very seriously, but only as hypotheses about the types of perceptual variables that we control. Indeed, I believe this is really the basis for research testing PCT; determine what variables people control and see if they can be organized into the hierarchy of types postulated by Powers.Â

RM: My hypotheses about what Fred was controlling when he maintains the amount of firewood in his cabin was not based on the specific types of perceptual variables Bill hypothesized as the type of variables people control. Rather, it was just some informal ideas about what variables Fred might be controlling in the behavioral vignette he described. The main point was to show that an explanation of Fred’s behavior involved guessing at the variables Fred might be controlling; the perceptions we control are variables, not the states of variables, like objects.

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Boris et al:

Here is a description of a commonplace

incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if
you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it
in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

You’ve open the floodgates, Fred. That was a serious display of PCT-based hermeneutics. Well done, Martin!

···

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

-------- Original Message --------

Local Time: December 30, 2017 8:00 AM

UTC Time: December 30, 2017 6:00 AM

[Martin Taylor 2017.12.26.13.39]

Boris et al:

Here is a description of a commonplace

incident, namely, chopping firewood. I’d appreciate it if
you, Boris, and others who are so inclined, would dissect it
in PCT terms as you understand PCT.

Fred, that's a nice challenge for this pugilistically (:-) named

day. I do not propose to answer your question, except incidentally.
Instead, I want to suggest how one might approach an answer.

The firewood supply in my cabin in running

low. I conclude I need to chop and bring in some more. I
need to replenish my stock of firewood.

I bundle up, go outside, pick up a short

log, place it on the chopping block, grab the axe that is
leaning against the chopping block, raise it above my head and
swing it downward, striking the log in the center with the
sharp edge of the axe and splitting the log into two pieces.
I continue doing this until I have an adequate supply of
firewood, which I then carry back into the cabin.

So what, if anything, are the controlled

quantities in that example? What reference signals are
involved? What perceptual signals are involved? What errors
seem to be producing outputs? What outputs are being
produced? What input signals are involved? How are those
outputs affecting my perceptions?

Fred Nickols

How would one start to answer this. I think I would start by noting

that every control loop has three main questions associated with it:
“What?”, “Why?” and “How?”. The first is a question about what
perception (not plural) is controlled in that specific control
system. The second is a question about the relation of its reference
value to higher-level systems, and the third is a question about the
way its output is distributed to lower level systems.

Your example posits quite a few "How" answers, so the questions

mostly relate to “what” and “why”, the latter almost all being
implicitly answered in the “how” prespectifcations. So where do we
start? Top, bottom, or middle? Why not start with your first
statement.

The firewood supply in my cabin in running low.  I conclude I need

to chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock of
firewood.

Lots of meat here to chew on, without even getting to your next

paragraph, which I will not discuss in this message. The questions
posed by this one are tricky enough, and in some cases I simply pose
the question without doing more than guessing at an answer.

What are the present perceptions that you might be controlling? What

are the imagined future perceptions that you (in the cabin) might
now be controlling in imagination? How do your current sense-based
and imagined future perceptions relate to one another, and how does
actual action described in the second “description” paragraph relate
to imagined action one might infer from the quoted (“first”)
paragraph?

Your question makes clear that you (the message writer) imagine

having and controlling a perception of the quantity of firewood in
the cabin. I’ll drop the “imagining” at this level of discourse,
because we need it later, when we question what might be going on in
your imagined mind. So from here on, I will use “you are” instead of
“you imagine you are” when we are talking about the “you” in the
cabin rather than the “you” who composed the message to CSGnet. I
hope we can keep the two versions of “you” straight by adding
“cabin” or “writer” when there might be confusion.

There are two more sentences in this short paragraph, which seem to

me to be in the wrong order, because “need to replenish” is the
“How” of controlling the in-cabin perceived quantity of firewood.
“Need to replenish” is a reference value for a “perceive myself
replenishing” control loop, whereas “chop and bring in some more” is
the How for that loop. “Chop and bring in” presumes that to do this
you must be outside, whereas you currently perceive yourself to be
inside. Separately, you perceive that your inside stock of firewood
is low. So one controlled perception is to bring your self-location
perception to a new reference value.

But wait. In this paragraph as it is written, you don't now have a

reference value to perceive yourself outside. You “need to” do
something, but are you actually doing it right now? “Need to”
suggests otherwise. It suggests that something impedes you. Perhaps
you also are controlling something the action output of which would
conflict with the action of going out, such as washing the dishes
from the lunch you just ate, or just sitting comfortably with a beer
in your hand. You are controlling your location perception in
imagination but not in actuality. You are planning, and your plan
includes the action of going out as part of controlling for
perceiving a sufficient stack of firewood inside the cabin.

One question (well many, but one will do) springs to mind: Why do

you “need to” replenish your indoor supply just now? Why did you not
need to do it yesterday? Why not wait until tomorrow? The quantity
of firewood has been being steadily depleted (as you indicate by
using the words “running low”), and you are not controlling for a
zero rate of depletion, because you are presumably controlling for
something that requires you to perceive that a fire is burning,
though you may be controlling for not depleting it too quickly. If
so, you have a tolerance zone for your perception of the rate of
depletion. But maybe the rate of depletion is a side-effect of
controlling some perception. Perhaps you perceive the rate of
depletion without controlling it. Maybe instead you influence the
intensity of the fire as a means of controlling your temperature
perception, so that you don’t get too cold or too hot, and that
intensity affects the rate of firewood depletion as a side-effect.

It would be difficult for someone else to use The Test for the

Controlled Variable on you to determine whether you are controlling
a perception of the rate of depletion, because it is impossible to
disturb the perceived rate of depletion (e.g. by surreptitiously
adding or removing firewood on the pile) without also disturbing the
time to zero firewood. Even adding an extra source of heat so that
you will reduce the fire intensity to maintain your temperature
would influence both of these potentially controlled perceptions.
You can’t, as a Tester, disturb the time variable, but it does
change, and that allows a weak version of The Test to provide some
evidence as to what you might be controlling.

Again, why now? If you had chopped wood yesterday, you would not now

need to go out and do it. Why did you not do it then? Did you not
perceive the state of your indoor firewood supply yesterday, or did
you perceive it and not perceive it as “running low”? If you wait
until tomorrow, what do you imagine you would perceive that would
then depart from their reference values? What perceptions are
related to the perception “running low”? After all, the same
questions could have been asked yesterday, when you did not perceive
the supply to be “running low”. The rate of depletion hasn’t (we
assume) changed, but the time until zero firewood has changed. This
suggests that a perception you are controlling is of when, relative
to now, the firewood will not be “running low” but will have “run
out”.

Let's assume that yesterday you perceived "running low" as having

the value “not running low”, whereas today you perceive it as “yes
running low”. Are these binary possibilities? I think not, because
you can also perceive “running very low” or “running not very low”
and a continuum between. The binary opposition is in respect of your
action, to go out and chop versus to stay inside and be comfortable.
You can’t do both at once, so if you are controlling independent
perceptions of which one requires on action and the other the other
action, you have a classic conflict in which the common controlled
perception is your location. But this conflict does not result in
your being half outside. One possibility or the other wins.
Collective control does not result from this kind of conflict.

So looking through PCT glasses, what changed, and would change

further if you did not go out and chop today? Your perceived “time
to zero firewood” has passed its tolerance threshold, thus producing
a non-zero error as input to its output function. By prior
reorganization (or by conscious analysis that when repeated would –
we speculate – induce reorganization) your action output is to
produce a reference value for a sub-hierarchy of control loops whose
actions eventually result in the “time to zero firewood” perception
returning to some point within its tolerance zone. The answer to
“why now” is that yesterday the “time to zero firewood” was within
its tolerance zone, whereas now it isn’t.

One perception being controlled to achieve this reduction of error

in the “time to zero firewood” perception is the level of firewood
in the stack. We deduce this, because although you could achieve the
same result by reducing the intensity of the fire, and thus the
firewood depletion rate, your planned action is to “chop and bring
in some more”, which is a set of action outputs of other control
units in a sub-hierarchy that result in a perception of more wood on
the stack. Getting more is preferred to rationing (as is often the
case in all sorts of circumstances, including dieting).

The second paragraph in your writing seems to describe only present

action to control present perceptions, with little overt planning
that is not already embodied in the hierarchy as it has reorganized
from prior experience. One might tell another just-so story about
which variables are being controlled, but to do so would be long, if
fairly straightforward, and I think this is far too long already, so
I think I will abstain, at least for now. But I hope I offered a
reasonable approach to questions that arise from the tricky issues
contained in the first of your paragraphs describing the externally
observable situation.

Martin

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.30.1423 ET)]

Martin:

I am at a loss for words. I don’t even begin to understand and appreciate your analysis although I am sure it is a well thought out one.

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2017 1:00 AM

Boris et al:

Fred, that’s a nice challenge for this pugilistically (:slight_smile: named day. I do not propose to answer your question, except incidentally. Instead, I want to suggest how one might approach an answer.

Fred Nickols

How would one start to answer this. I think I would start by noting that every control loop has three main questions associated with it: “What?”, “Why?” and “How?”. The first is a question about what perception (not plural) is controlled in that specific control system. The second is a question about the relation of its reference value to higher-level systems, and the third is a question about the way its output is distributed to lower level systems.

Your example posits quite a few “How” answers, so the questions mostly relate to “what” and “why”, the latter almost all being implicitly answered in the “how” prespectifcations. So where do we start? Top, bottom, or middle? Why not start with your first statement.

Lots of meat here to chew on, without even getting to your next paragraph, which I will not discuss in this message. The questions posed by this one are tricky enough, and in some cases I simply pose the question without doing more than guessing at an answer.

What are the present perceptions that you might be controlling? What are the imagined future perceptions that you (in the cabin) might now be controlling in imagination? How do your current sense-based and imagined future perceptions relate to one another, and how does actual action described in the second “description” paragraph relate to imagined action one might infer from the quoted (“first”) paragraph?

Your question makes clear that you (the message writer) imagine having and controlling a perception of the quantity of firewood in the cabin. I’ll drop the “imagining” at this level of discourse, because we need it later, when we question what might be going on in your imagined mind. So from here on, I will use “you are” instead of “you imagine you are” when we are talking about the “you” in the cabin rather than the “you” who composed the message to CSGnet. I hope we can keep the two versions of “you” straight by adding “cabin” or “writer” when there might be confusion.

There are two more sentences in this short paragraph, which seem to me to be in the wrong order, because “need to replenish” is the “How” of controlling the in-cabin perceived quantity of firewood. “Need to replenish” is a reference value for a “perceive myself replenishing” control loop, whereas “chop and bring in some more” is the How for that loop. “Chop and bring in” presumes that to do this you must be outside, whereas you currently perceive yourself to be inside. Separately, you perceive that your inside stock of firewood is low. So one controlled perception is to bring your self-location perception to a new reference value.

But wait. In this paragraph as it is written, you don’t now have a reference value to perceive yourself outside. You “need to” do something, but are you actually doing it right now? “Need to” suggests otherwise. It suggests that something impedes you. Perhaps you also are controlling something the action output of which would conflict with the action of going out, such as washing the dishes from the lunch you just ate, or just sitting comfortably with a beer in your hand. You are controlling your location perception in imagination but not in actuality. You are planning, and your plan includes the action of going out as part of controlling for perceiving a sufficient stack of firewood inside the cabin.

One question (well many, but one will do) springs to mind: Why do you “need to” replenish your indoor supply just now? Why did you not need to do it yesterday? Why not wait until tomorrow? The quantity of firewood has been being steadily depleted (as you indicate by using the words “running low”), and you are not controlling for a zero rate of depletion, because you are presumably controlling for something that requires you to perceive that a fire is burning, though you may be controlling for not depleting it too quickly. If so, you have a tolerance zone for your perception of the rate of depletion. But maybe the rate of depletion is a side-effect of controlling some perception. Perhaps you perceive the rate of depletion without controlling it. Maybe instead you influence the intensity of the fire as a means of controlling your temperature perception, so that you don’t get too cold or too hot, and that intensity affects the rate of firewood depletion as a side-effect.

It would be difficult for someone else to use The Test for the Controlled Variable on you to determine whether you are controlling a perception of the rate of depletion, because it is impossible to disturb the perceived rate of depletion (e.g. by surreptitiously adding or removing firewood on the pile) without also disturbing the time to zero firewood. Even adding an extra source of heat so that you will reduce the fire intensity to maintain your temperature would influence both of these potentially controlled perceptions. You can’t, as a Tester, disturb the time variable, but it does change, and that allows a weak version of The Test to provide some evidence as to what you might be controlling.

Again, why now? If you had chopped wood yesterday, you would not now need to go out and do it. Why did you not do it then? Did you not perceive the state of your indoor firewood supply yesterday, or did you perceive it and not perceive it as “running low”? If you wait until tomorrow, what do you imagine you would perceive that would then depart from their reference values? What perceptions are related to the perception “running low”? After all, the same questions could have been asked yesterday, when you did not perceive the supply to be “running low”. The rate of depletion hasn’t (we assume) changed, but the time until zero firewood has changed. This suggests that a perception you are controlling is of when, relative to now, the firewood will not be “running low” but will have “run out”.

Let’s assume that yesterday you perceived “running low” as having the value “not running low”, whereas today you perceive it as “yes running low”. Are these binary possibilities? I think not, because you can also perceive “running very low” or “running not very low” and a continuum between. The binary opposition is in respect of your action, to go out and chop versus to stay inside and be comfortable. You can’t do both at once, so if you are controlling independent perceptions of which one requires on action and the other the other action, you have a classic conflict in which the common controlled perception is your location. But this conflict does not result in your being half outside. One possibility or the other wins. Collective control does not result from this kind of conflict.

So looking through PCT glasses, what changed, and would change further if you did not go out and chop today? Your perceived “time to zero firewood” has passed its tolerance threshold, thus producing a non-zero error as input to its output function. By prior reorganization (or by conscious analysis that when repeated would – we speculate – induce reorganization) your action output is to produce a reference value for a sub-hierarchy of control loops whose actions eventually result in the “time to zero firewood” perception returning to some point within its tolerance zone. The answer to “why now” is that yesterday the “time to zero firewood” was within its tolerance zone, whereas now it isn’t.

One perception being controlled to achieve this reduction of error in the “time to zero firewood” perception is the level of firewood in the stack. We deduce this, because although you could achieve the same result by reducing the intensity of the fire, and thus the firewood depletion rate, your planned action is to “chop and bring in some more”, which is a set of action outputs of other control units in a sub-hierarchy that result in a perception of more wood on the stack. Getting more is preferred to rationing (as is often the case in all sorts of circumstances, including dieting).

The second paragraph in your writing seems to describe only present action to control present perceptions, with little overt planning that is not already embodied in the hierarchy as it has reorganized from prior experience. One might tell another just-so story about which variables are being controlled, but to do so would be long, if fairly straightforward, and I think this is far too long already, so I think I will abstain, at least for now. But I hope I offered a reasonable approach to questions that arise from the tricky issues contained in the first of your paragraphs describing the externally observable situation.

Martin

[From Fred
Nickols (2017.12.30.1423 ET)]

Martin:

I am at a

loss for words. I don’t even begin to understand and
appreciate your analysis although I am sure it is a well
thought out one.

Fred Nickols

···

[mailto:mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net]

Boris et al:

Here is a

description of a commonplace incident, namely, chopping
firewood. I’d appreciate it if you, Boris, and others who
are so inclined, would dissect it in PCT terms as you
understand PCT.

Fred, that's a nice challenge for this pugilistically (:-)

named day. I do not propose to answer your question, except
incidentally. Instead, I want to suggest how one might
approach an answer.

The firewood

supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to
chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock
of firewood.

I bundle up, go

outside, pick up a short log, place it on the chopping
block, grab the axe that is leaning against the chopping
block, raise it above my head and swing it downward,
striking the log in the center with the sharp edge of the
axe and splitting the log into two pieces. I continue doing
this until I have an adequate supply of firewood, which I
then carry back into the cabin.

So what, if

anything, are the controlled quantities in that example?
What reference signals are involved? What perceptual
signals are involved? What errors seem to be producing
outputs? What outputs are being produced? What input
signals are involved? How are those outputs affecting my
perceptions?

Fred Nickols

How would one

start to answer this. I think I would start by noting that
every control loop has three main questions associated with
it: “What?”, “Why?” and “How?”. The first is a question about
what perception (not plural) is controlled in that specific
control system. The second is a question about the relation of
its reference value to higher-level systems, and the third is
a question about the way its output is distributed to lower
level systems.

Your example posits quite a few "How" answers, so the

questions mostly relate to “what” and “why”, the latter almost
all being implicitly answered in the “how” prespectifcations.
So where do we start? Top, bottom, or middle? Why not start
with your first statement.

The firewood

supply in my cabin in running low. I conclude I need to
chop and bring in some more. I need to replenish my stock
of firewood.

Lots of meat here to chew on, without even getting to your

next paragraph, which I will not discuss in this message. The
questions posed by this one are tricky enough, and in some
cases I simply pose the question without doing more than
guessing at an answer.

What are the present perceptions that you might be

controlling? What are the imagined future perceptions that you
(in the cabin) might now be controlling in imagination? How do
your current sense-based and imagined future perceptions
relate to one another, and how does actual action described in
the second “description” paragraph relate to imagined action
one might infer from the quoted (“first”) paragraph?

Your question makes clear that you (the message writer)

imagine having and controlling a perception of the quantity of
firewood in the cabin. I’ll drop the “imagining” at this level
of discourse, because we need it later, when we question what
might be going on in your imagined mind. So from here on, I
will use “you are” instead of “you imagine you are” when we
are talking about the “you” in the cabin rather than the “you”
who composed the message to CSGnet. I hope we can keep the two
versions of “you” straight by adding “cabin” or “writer” when
there might be confusion.

There are two more sentences in this short paragraph, which

seem to me to be in the wrong order, because “need to
replenish” is the “How” of controlling the in-cabin perceived
quantity of firewood. “Need to replenish” is a reference value
for a “perceive myself replenishing” control loop, whereas
“chop and bring in some more” is the How for that loop. “Chop
and bring in” presumes that to do this you must be outside,
whereas you currently perceive yourself to be inside.
Separately, you perceive that your inside stock of firewood is
low. So one controlled perception is to bring your
self-location perception to a new reference value.

But wait. In this paragraph as it is written, you don't now

have a reference value to perceive yourself outside. You “need
to” do something, but are you actually doing it right now?
“Need to” suggests otherwise. It suggests that something
impedes you. Perhaps you also are controlling something the
action output of which would conflict with the action of going
out, such as washing the dishes from the lunch you just ate,
or just sitting comfortably with a beer in your hand. You are
controlling your location perception in imagination but not in
actuality. You are planning, and your plan includes the action
of going out as part of controlling for perceiving a
sufficient stack of firewood inside the cabin.

One question (well many, but one will do) springs to mind: Why

do you “need to” replenish your indoor supply just now? Why
did you not need to do it yesterday? Why not wait until
tomorrow? The quantity of firewood has been being steadily
depleted (as you indicate by using the words “running low”),
and you are not controlling for a zero rate of depletion,
because you are presumably controlling for something that
requires you to perceive that a fire is burning, though you
may be controlling for not depleting it too quickly. If so,
you have a tolerance zone for your perception of the rate of
depletion. But maybe the rate of depletion is a side-effect of
controlling some perception. Perhaps you perceive the rate of
depletion without controlling it. Maybe instead you influence
the intensity of the fire as a means of controlling your
temperature perception, so that you don’t get too cold or too
hot, and that intensity affects the rate of firewood depletion
as a side-effect.

It would be difficult for someone else to use The Test for the

Controlled Variable on you to determine whether you are
controlling a perception of the rate of depletion, because it
is impossible to disturb the perceived rate of depletion (e.g.
by surreptitiously adding or removing firewood on the pile)
without also disturbing the time to zero firewood. Even adding
an extra source of heat so that you will reduce the fire
intensity to maintain your temperature would influence both of
these potentially controlled perceptions. You can’t, as a
Tester, disturb the time variable, but it does change, and
that allows a weak version of The Test to provide some
evidence as to what you might be controlling.

Again, why now? If you had chopped wood yesterday, you would

not now need to go out and do it. Why did you not do it then?
Did you not perceive the state of your indoor firewood supply
yesterday, or did you perceive it and not perceive it as
“running low”? If you wait until tomorrow, what do you imagine
you would perceive that would then depart from their reference
values? What perceptions are related to the perception
“running low”? After all, the same questions could have been
asked yesterday, when you did not perceive the supply to be
“running low”. The rate of depletion hasn’t (we assume)
changed, but the time until zero firewood has changed. This
suggests that a perception you are controlling is of when,
relative to now, the firewood will not be “running low” but
will have “run out”.

Let's assume that yesterday you perceived "running low" as

having the value “not running low”, whereas today you perceive
it as “yes running low”. Are these binary possibilities? I
think not, because you can also perceive “running very low” or
“running not very low” and a continuum between. The binary
opposition is in respect of your action, to go out and chop
versus to stay inside and be comfortable. You can’t do both at
once, so if you are controlling independent perceptions of
which one requires on action and the other the other action,
you have a classic conflict in which the common controlled
perception is your location. But this conflict does not result
in your being half outside. One possibility or the other wins.
Collective control does not result from this kind of conflict.

So looking through PCT glasses, what changed, and would change

further if you did not go out and chop today? Your perceived
“time to zero firewood” has passed its tolerance threshold,
thus producing a non-zero error as input to its output
function. By prior reorganization (or by conscious analysis
that when repeated would – we speculate – induce
reorganization) your action output is to produce a reference
value for a sub-hierarchy of control loops whose actions
eventually result in the “time to zero firewood” perception
returning to some point within its tolerance zone. The answer
to “why now” is that yesterday the “time to zero firewood” was
within its tolerance zone, whereas now it isn’t.

One perception being controlled to achieve this reduction of

error in the “time to zero firewood” perception is the level
of firewood in the stack. We deduce this, because although you
could achieve the same result by reducing the intensity of the
fire, and thus the firewood depletion rate, your planned
action is to “chop and bring in some more”, which is a set of
action outputs of other control units in a sub-hierarchy that
result in a perception of more wood on the stack. Getting more
is preferred to rationing (as is often the case in all sorts
of circumstances, including dieting).

The second paragraph in your writing seems to describe only

present action to control present perceptions, with little
overt planning that is not already embodied in the hierarchy
as it has reorganized from prior experience. One might tell
another just-so story about which variables are being
controlled, but to do so would be long, if fairly
straightforward, and I think this is far too long already, so
I think I will abstain, at least for now. But I hope I offered
a reasonable approach to questions that arise from the tricky
issues contained in the first of your paragraphs describing
the externally observable situation.

Martin

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.30.1658 ET)]

Thanks for understanding, Martin. I’ll read your new response carefully and then respond. Right now, I need a drink. (Analyze that in PCT terms.) :blush:

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Saturday, December 30, 2017 3:51 PM

[Martin Taylor 2017.12.30.14.29]

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.30.1423 ET)]

Martin:

I am at a loss for words. I don’t even begin to understand and appreciate your analysis although I am sure it is a well thought out one.

Fred Nickols

Sorry to be obscure. I suppose I must have misinterpreted your question. You set up a hypothetical situation, and I thought you wanted to know what questions it raised for a full PCT analysis. I mentioned some that are implied by the first paragraph of your description of the situation, and speculated on possible answers for some. If that wasn’t what you wanted, I apologize.

Here’s another way of saying what I said before, in the hope that it does get at what interested you…

Question 1: Why do you perceive the firewood to be “running low”?
Speculative answer 1: Because you perceive the rate at which it gets depleted, and the amount in your wood pile indoors, and if you extrapolate the rate of depletion until you have no firewood, the time is too short.

Question 2: What does “Too short” mean in that answer?
PCT answer 2: It means that you are controlling a perception of the time with some reference value around which there is a tolerance zone, and your current perception is outside that tolerance zone. This means that the error signal value is non-zero, which causes the output from the “time to zero firewood” control unit to change.

Question: 3 Why does non-zero error signal value cause the output to change?
Answer 3: That’s a general PCT question. Non-zero error signal value means that your perception of the world isn’t what you would like it to be, and you want to fix the problem. Whatever output that control unit is now producing has allowed the perception to go out of whack, so to fix it you must change what you are doing.

Question 4: What change in output – what change in overt behaviour – is needed?
Answer 4: You say in your description that what is needed is “replenish the supply of firewood”.

Question 5: How do you “replenish your supply of firewood”?
Answer 5: you say or imply in your description that you need to control a sequence: (1) Go outside, (2) Chop wood, and (3) Bring the wood in.

Question 6: Why do it now rather than yesterday or tomorrow?
Answer 6: There’s a lot of questions in this simple question, so I’ll speculate on those and answers to them.

Question 6.1: What are you controlling for that leads to the perceptions that together result in “running low”?
Answer 6.1: Perhaps you are controlling for feeling warm when it is cold outside. Perhaps you like the sight of a fire in an open fireplace. I don’t know why, but the answer winds up with controlling for not just perceiving a fire, but for perceiving a fire of a particular intensity.

Question 6.2: How does controlling for perceiving a fire of a particular intensity relate to a perception of “running low”?
Answer 6.2: By itself, it doesn’t. But it does influence (pretty well determine, given the physical structure of your fireplace or stove) the actual rate at which the firewood stack is depleted. That influence is a side-effect of your controlling for perceiving a fire of a particular intensity.

Question 6.3: How does that relate to “running low”?
Answer 6.3: I have speculated that a perception of “running low” is actually a perception that there is a non-zero error signal value for a controlled perception “time to zero firewood”, as discussed in Question 2.

Question 7: How might an independent observer/experimenter determine whether these speculations might be true?
Answer 7: That’s not easy, but the usual PCT answer is “Use the Test for the Controlled Variable” to see whether you are actually controlling the variables I speculate you to be controlling.

Question 8: How would you do that?
Answer 8: Some controlled variables have been proposed, such as fire intensity, size of the firewood pile, time to depletion of the pile, and rate of depletion of the pile. The initial description of the problem suggests that you would be controlling a perception of the size of the pile, and the rest would follow. In Answers 2 and 6 an alternative possibility is hypothesised. Can we propose a Test to distinguish them? If we change the pile size without changing the rate of depletion, we also change the time to zero firewood. We can’t change the rate of depletion, which is determined by the fire intensity, and we speculate that this is a controlled variable. So our Tester can do no better than observe and wait, using the answer to “Why now?” to determine when time-to-zero becomes “too short”.

Answer 8 continued: So long as the controlled fire intensity does not change, the time-to-zero and the size of the firewood pile when you go and chop wood covary. But if the observer waits long enough, the weather will change, or you will change to warmer or more summery clothes, and your reference value for fire intensity will change. That will change the ratio between pile size and time-to-zero-firewood. Whichever one you are actually controlling will be the more stable over these changes at the moments when you decide to go and chop.

Answer 8 continued: The above is all very well, but it relies on getting a lot of statistics in a situation that is inherently noisy, because you will always have a conflict between going out to chop and doing something else, such as staying comfortable, washing the dishes, listening to music, or simply sleeping at night. The weather and the weather forecasts change, so you may go out early and chop more than usual if a storm or a cold snap is forecast, or late if the weather at the “passing threshold” moment is inclement. So the theoretical ability to apply The Test may not exist in practice.

The above is more or less a paraphrase of my previous answer. Is it easier to understand, and does it speak to the question you wanted answered?

Martin

Boris et al:

Fred, that’s a nice challenge for this pugilistically (:slight_smile: named day. I do not propose to answer your question, except incidentally. Instead, I want to suggest how one might approach an answer.

Fred Nickols

How would one start to answer this. I think I would start by noting that every control loop has three main questions associated with it: “What?”, “Why?” and “How?”. The first is a question about what perception (not plural) is controlled in that specific control system. The second is a question about the relation of its reference value to higher-level systems, and the third is a question about the way its output is distributed to lower level systems.

Your example posits quite a few “How” answers, so the questions mostly relate to “what” and “why”, the latter almost all being implicitly answered in the “how” prespectifcations. So where do we start? Top, bottom, or middle? Why not start with your first statement.

Lots of meat here to chew on, without even getting to your next paragraph, which I will not discuss in this message. The questions posed by this one are tricky enough, and in some cases I simply pose the question without doing more than guessing at an answer.

What are the present perceptions that you might be controlling? What are the imagined future perceptions that you (in the cabin) might now be controlling in imagination? How do your current sense-based and imagined future perceptions relate to one another, and how does actual action described in the second “description” paragraph relate to imagined action one might infer from the quoted (“first”) paragraph?

Your question makes clear that you (the message writer) imagine having and controlling a perception of the quantity of firewood in the cabin. I’ll drop the “imagining” at this level of discourse, because we need it later, when we question what might be going on in your imagined mind. So from here on, I will use “you are” instead of “you imagine you are” when we are talking about the “you” in the cabin rather than the “you” who composed the message to CSGnet. I hope we can keep the two versions of “you” straight by adding “cabin” or “writer” when there might be confusion.

There are two more sentences in this short paragraph, which seem to me to be in the wrong order, because “need to replenish” is the “How” of controlling the in-cabin perceived quantity of firewood. “Need to replenish” is a reference value for a “perceive myself replenishing” control loop, whereas “chop and bring in some more” is the How for that loop. “Chop and bring in” presumes that to do this you must be outside, whereas you currently perceive yourself to be inside. Separately, you perceive that your inside stock of firewood is low. So one controlled perception is to bring your self-location perception to a new reference value.

But wait. In this paragraph as it is written, you don’t now have a reference value to perceive yourself outside. You “need to” do something, but are you actually doing it right now? “Need to” suggests otherwise. It suggests that something impedes you. Perhaps you also are controlling something the action output of which would conflict with the action of going out, such as washing the dishes from the lunch you just ate, or just sitting comfortably with a beer in your hand. You are controlling your location perception in imagination but not in actuality. You are planning, and your plan includes the action of going out as part of controlling for perceiving a sufficient stack of firewood inside the cabin.

One question (well many, but one will do) springs to mind: Why do you “need to” replenish your indoor supply just now? Why did you not need to do it yesterday? Why not wait until tomorrow? The quantity of firewood has been being steadily depleted (as you indicate by using the words “running low”), and you are not controlling for a zero rate of depletion, because you are presumably controlling for something that requires you to perceive that a fire is burning, though you may be controlling for not depleting it too quickly. If so, you have a tolerance zone for your perception of the rate of depletion. But maybe the rate of depletion is a side-effect of controlling some perception. Perhaps you perceive the rate of depletion without controlling it. Maybe instead you influence the intensity of the fire as a means of controlling your temperature perception, so that you don’t get too cold or too hot, and that intensity affects the rate of firewood depletion as a side-effect.

It would be difficult for someone else to use The Test for the Controlled Variable on you to determine whether you are controlling a perception of the rate of depletion, because it is impossible to disturb the perceived rate of depletion (e.g. by surreptitiously adding or removing firewood on the pile) without also disturbing the time to zero firewood. Even adding an extra source of heat so that you will reduce the fire intensity to maintain your temperature would influence both of these potentially controlled perceptions. You can’t, as a Tester, disturb the time variable, but it does change, and that allows a weak version of The Test to provide some evidence as to what you might be controlling.

Again, why now? If you had chopped wood yesterday, you would not now need to go out and do it. Why did you not do it then? Did you not perceive the state of your indoor firewood supply yesterday, or did you perceive it and not perceive it as “running low”? If you wait until tomorrow, what do you imagine you would perceive that would then depart from their reference values? What perceptions are related to the perception “running low”? After all, the same questions could have been asked yesterday, when you did not perceive the supply to be “running low”. The rate of depletion hasn’t (we assume) changed, but the time until zero firewood has changed. This suggests that a perception you are controlling is of when, relative to now, the firewood will not be “running low” but will have “run out”.

Let’s assume that yesterday you perceived “running low” as having the value “not running low”, whereas today you perceive it as “yes running low”. Are these binary possibilities? I think not, because you can also perceive “running very low” or “running not very low” and a continuum between. The binary opposition is in respect of your action, to go out and chop versus to stay inside and be comfortable. You can’t do both at once, so if you are controlling independent perceptions of which one requires on action and the other the other action, you have a classic conflict in which the common controlled perception is your location. But this conflict does not result in your being half outside. One possibility or the other wins. Collective control does not result from this kind of conflict.

So looking through PCT glasses, what changed, and would change further if you did not go out and chop today? Your perceived “time to zero firewood” has passed its tolerance threshold, thus producing a non-zero error as input to its output function. By prior reorganization (or by conscious analysis that when repeated would – we speculate – induce reorganization) your action output is to produce a reference value for a sub-hierarchy of control loops whose actions eventually result in the “time to zero firewood” perception returning to some point within its tolerance zone. The answer to “why now” is that yesterday the “time to zero firewood” was within its tolerance zone, whereas now it isn’t.

One perception being controlled to achieve this reduction of error in the “time to zero firewood” perception is the level of firewood in the stack. We deduce this, because although you could achieve the same result by reducing the intensity of the fire, and thus the firewood depletion rate, your planned action is to “chop and bring in some more”, which is a set of action outputs of other control units in a sub-hierarchy that result in a perception of more wood on the stack. Getting more is preferred to rationing (as is often the case in all sorts of circumstances, including dieting).

The second paragraph in your writing seems to describe only present action to control present perceptions, with little overt planning that is not already embodied in the hierarchy as it has reorganized from prior experience. One might tell another just-so story about which variables are being controlled, but to do so would be long, if fairly straightforward, and I think this is far too long already, so I think I will abstain, at least for now. But I hope I offered a reasonable approach to questions that arise from the tricky issues contained in the first of your paragraphs describing the externally observable situation.

Martin