PCT Glossary

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.18.1523 ET)]

I’m looking through the glossary in the second edition of B:CP and I am puzzled by the definition of Hierarchy of Control Systems. The glossary states it as follows:

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n-1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

As I understand the hierarchy, a given level receives its reference signal from the level above and receives its perceptual signal from the system below. Thus it seems to me that the definition should read as follows:

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control, a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n+1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

Am I correct? If not, what is it about the definition in B:CP that I don’t understand?

Fred Nickols

[Martin Taylor 2017.12.18.15.30]

Yes. It's a typo. Good catch.

Martin

···

On 2017/12/18 3:26 PM, Fred Nickols
wrote:

I’m looking through the glossary in the

second edition of B:CP and I am puzzled by the definition of
Hierarchy of Control Systems. The glossary states it as
follows:

HIERARCHY

OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into
orders of control a system of order n , receiving
reference signals from systems of order n -1, and
controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting
reference signals sent to systems of order n -1. The
acquired organization of the brain.

As I understand the hierarchy, a given

level receives its reference signal from the level above and
receives its perceptual signal from the system below. Thus it
seems to me that the definition should read as follows:

HIERARCHY

OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into
orders of control, a system of order n , receiving
reference signals from systems of order n +1, and
controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting
reference signals sent to systems of order n -1. The
acquired organization of the brain.

Am I correct?

Fred Nickols

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.18. 1633 ET)]

Thanks, Martin.

As it happens, I was looking through the glossary in the course of retyping it. I completed that task a few minutes ago. (It only took about an hour because I am a fairly fast typist.) In any case, there is now a version of the glossary (with the typo I spotted corrected).

I am not, however, just yet willing to share it. I’m not sure if capturing the glossary falls under “fair use” or if reproducing it constitutes a copyright violation. Nor am I sure who owns the copyright.

All those nits and gnats aside, I believe that having a separate, easily accessed copy of the glossary would prove useful.

So my question to list members it this: Any ideas on what to do next?

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 3:32 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: PCT Glossary

On 2017/12/18 3:26 PM, Fred Nickols wrote:

I’m looking through the glossary in the second edition of B:CP and I am puzzled by the definition of Hierarchy of Control Systems. The glossary states it as follows:

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n-1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

As I understand the hierarchy, a given level receives its reference signal from the level above and receives its perceptual signal from the system below. Thus it seems to me that the definition should read as follows:

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control, a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n+1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

Am I correct?

Yes. It’s a typo. Good catch.

Fred Nickols

Martin

[From Rick Marken (2017.12.18.1640)]

···

Fred Nickols (2017.12.18. 1633 ET)

Â

FN: All those nits and gnats aside, I believe that having a separate, easily accessed copy of the glossary would prove useful.

Â

FN: So my question to list members it this:Â Any ideas on what to do next?

RM: That was my concern as well. Alice, Bill’s sister, is the publisher of B:CP. I think she is listening in but I’m copying to her.Â

RM Alice, do you have any problem with a copy of the Glossary from B:CP being made acessible on the net?Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

Fred Nickols

Â

Â

Â

Â

I’m looking through the glossary in the second edition of B:CP and I am puzzled by the definition of Hierarchy of Control Systems. The glossary states it as follows:

Â

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n-1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

Â

As I understand the hierarchy, a given level receives its reference signal from the level above and receives its perceptual signal from the system below. Thus it seems to me that the definition should read as follows:

Â

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control, a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n+1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

Â

Am I correct?Â

Fred Nickols

Martin

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.19.0656 ET)]

Another thing re the glossary: I think there might be some terms that should be added. The one that comes immediately to mind is “The Test.� For another, I plan on updating the levels from 9 to 11 to reflect what now seems current thinking. In other words, I think we need to do more than simply reproduce the glossary from B:CP.

What say the rest of you?

Fred Nickols

···

Sent: Monday, December 18, 2017 7:38 PM
Cc: Alice Mcelhone apmcelhone@aol.com

[From Rick Marken (2017.12.18.1640)]

Fred Nickols (2017.12.18. 1633 ET)

FN: All those nits and gnats aside, I believe that having a separate, easily accessed copy of the glossary would prove useful.

FN: So my question to list members it this: Any ideas on what to do next?

RM: That was my concern as well. Alice, Bill’s sister, is the publisher of B:CP. I think she is listening in but I’m copying to her.

RM Alice, do you have any problem with a copy of the Glossary from B:CP being made acessible on the net?

Best

Rick

Fred Nickols

Am I correct?

Fred Nickols

Martin

Richard S. Marken

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

How about a current ongoing glossary (like a dictionary) with dates and credits for each entry. Possibly even references to related links. I guess still short of a PCTpedia.
Lloyd
yyanimation12.gif

Dr. Lloyd Klinedinst
10 Dover Lane
Villa Ridge, MO 63089-2001
HomeVoice: (636) 451-3232

Lloyd Mobile: (314)-609-5571
email: lloydk@klinedinst.com

image00126.gif

···

On Dec 19, 2017, at 06:15, Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us wrote:

In other words, I think we need to do more than simply reproduce the glossary from B:CP.

[From Bruce Nevin (2017.12.20.15:40 ET)]

The pertinent question is who holds the copyright? Benchmark Press (Alice) or Bill’s heirs, or somebody else. Having determined that, ask permission to post the glossary on the IAPCT website and other places for use by students of PCT.

···

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us wrote:

[From Fred Nickols (2017.12.18. 1633 ET)]

Â

Thanks, Martin.

Â

As it happens, I was looking through the glossary in the course of retyping it. I completed that task a few minutes ago. (It only took about an hour because I am a fairly fast typist.) In any case, there is now a version of the glossary (with the typo I spotted corrected).

Â

I am not, however, just yet willing to share it. I’m not sure if capturing the glossary falls under “fair use� or if reproducing it constitutes a copyright violation. Nor am I sure who owns the copyright.

Â

All those nits and gnats aside, I believe that having a separate, easily accessed copy of the glossary would prove useful.

Â

So my question to list members it this:Â Any ideas on what to do next?

Â

Fred Nickols

Â

Â

Â

Â

I’m looking through the glossary in the second edition of B:CP and I am puzzled by the definition of Hierarchy of Control Systems. The glossary states it as follows:

Â

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n-1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

Â

As I understand the hierarchy, a given level receives its reference signal from the level above and receives its perceptual signal from the system below. Thus it seems to me that the definition should read as follows:

Â

HIERARCHY OF CONTROL SYSTEMS: A layering of control systems into orders of control, a system of order n, receiving reference signals from systems of order n+1, and controlling its own perceptual signals by adjusting reference signals sent to systems of order n-1. The acquired organization of the brain.

Â

Am I correct?Â

Fred Nickols

Martin