PCT Musings on the Ocean

From Gary Cziko [2018.09.29 15:13 UTC -7]

The question I have is whether these two marine mammals were swimming close to me on purpose (or in this case on porpoise) or they just happened to be going in the same direction I was.

I didn’t think of varying my course to see if they remained close to test if proximity was a controlled perceptual variable. Next time.

https://vimeo.com/292504398

···

==================================================

Gary Cziko (“ZEE-ko”), PhD
Professor Emeritus, Educational Psychology
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

CyclingSavvy Instructor (CSI)

Board of Directors, American Bicycling Education Association (ABEA.bike)

Board of Directors, California Association of Bicycle Organizations (CABO)

Expert Witness for Cyclists’ Rights

[Rick Marken 2018-09-29_18:48:13]

GC: The question I have is whether these two marine mammals were swimming close to me on purpose (or in this case on porpoise) or they just happened to be going in the same direction I was.

RM: What a great question. I’ll answer it in my next book: “Doing Research on Porpoise” (even though they were dolphins).Â

GC: I didn’t think of varying my course to see if they remained close to test if proximity was a controlled perceptual variable. Next time.

RM: I think there were enough naturally occurring disturbances to their being close to you (the most obvious being the variations in your speed) that you are pretty safe to infer that they were definitely controlling for being close to you. Maybe they liked you because they could tell that you were another mammal that had rapidly evolved from a land to sea creature.Â

BestÂ

Rick

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hi Gary,

I think that Dolphins are highly developed purposefull beings. I collected some informations.

“Dolphins are known to teach, learn, cooperate, scheme, and grieve”. They show self-awarness and social behavior, they communicate…. It seems that they have “spindle neurons”. In humans, these cells are involved in social conduct, emotions, judgment, and theory of mind. Spindle neurons are found in areas of the brain that are homologous to where they are found in humans, suggesting that they perform a similar function.Dolphins are one of the most inteligent creatures on the Earth.Â

Their inteligency was tested also for navy purposes.

“The United States Navy implemented a program in 1960 to work with dolphins and sea lions in order to help with defense, mine detection, and design of new submarines and new underwater weapons. The Navy did many tests with several marine mammals to determine which would be best for the jobs they needed done. “More than 19 species were tested, including some sharks and birds.” Eventually, the bottlenose dolphins and California sea lion were shown to be the best at what the Navy needed them for”.

Such military dolphins have been trained to rescue lost naval swimmers or to locate underwater mines even to kill, set mines on ships etc. It seems to be very intelligent creatures.

And maybe something to answer your question :

"Dolphins frequently leap above the water surface, this being done for various reasons. When travelling, jumping can save the dolphin energy as there is less friction while in the air. Other reasons include orientation, social displays, fighting, nonverbal communication, entertainment and attempting to dislodge parasites ".

Maybe they have similar control hierarachy as humans :blush:. It’s worth of investigating. Maybe…

Regards,

Boris

···

From: Gary Cziko (gcziko@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2018 12:21 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Fwd: PCT Musings on the Ocean

The question I have is whether these two marine mammals were swimming close to me on purpose (or in this case on porpoise) or they just happened to be going in the same direction I was.

I didn’t think of varying my course to see if they remained close to test if proximity was a controlled perceptual variable. Next time.

==================================================