Please help ID important CSGnet threads

[Bruce Nevin 20190530.09:01]

We are in process of setting up our IAPCT forum on a phpbb platform that will give us more capabilities than our present email listserv.

The listserv preserves only the most recent three years of email exchanges. Dag has maintained CSGnet archives on the web. As you know, CSGnet traffic includes quite a mix of stuff, only some of which is of lasting value and interest.

Dag extracted important threads from CSGnet in 1994-1995.

If you are interested in helping to identify other email threads that we will want to copy into the new environment for reference please let me know dates and subject headings. I will pass the information on to Mak, the student who has volunteered to manage the forum for us.

We’ll have more information about this at the Annual Meeting and during the conference at Manchester University in September.

···

/Bruce

Bruce,

important extraction is relative to the one who chooses “important threads”. Sometimes it’s very hard to say what is important and what is not for the development of PCT. It depends from understanding of people who create “extracted” archives. I really thought that everything is preserved. But now I see it will be very hard to prove who wrote nonsense about PCT and who didn’t.

Boris

···

From: Bruce Nevin (bnhpct@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Thursday, May 30, 2019 3:16 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Please help ID important CSGnet threads

We are in process of setting up our IAPCT forum on a phpbb platform that will give us more capabilities than our present email listserv.

The listserv preserves only the most recent three years of email exchanges. Dag has maintained CSGnet archives on the web. As you know, CSGnet traffic includes quite a mix of stuff, only some of which is of lasting value and interest.

Dag extracted [important threads from CSGnet in 1994-1995](Proofpoint Targeted Attack Protection
gFqSN-E3mlr2t9JcDdfOZag&r=G2rjwc9SjlT6Blyc8su_Md8P_xOsOTRMJ5teQVBC2qU&m=rmcTLKxYQuK75m1xLKQu8gdgKPd6D6DJzUjEqz9KpHI&s=KvzJ_j2Y4gs8PXz8bULY1gpwGSZ0mYvNaJteB4a7Dgw&e=).

If you are interested in helping to identify other email threads that we will want to copy into the new environment for reference please let me know dates and subject headings. I will pass the information on to Mak, the student who has volunteered to manage the forum for us.

We’ll have more information about this at the Annual Meeting and during the conference at Manchester University in September.

/Bruce

[Bruce Nevin 20190531.07:51]

Ah, disinformation. It’s everywhere these days.

The archive at http://www.pctresources.com/csgnet_archives/ is complete, thanks to periodic updates by our Archivist Dag Forssell. What is incomplete is his copying of especially substantive threads into a separate collection.

No one has volunteered to extract every single CSGnet post (clipping off the repetitious tail of quoted email) so that each can be pasted as a separate post under the appropriate phpbb topic. Mak has volunteered for the Herculean task of doing that with a selected subset. What I asked for is help with the process of reading and selecting. (Re-reading for some of us.) Anyone is free to nominate particular threads. But you do have to look into the archive and actually read email exchanges over the past 30 years to do that. There are other reasons to do that. If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a dogmatic philosophy.

···

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 1:05 PM “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Bruce,

important extraction is relative to the one who chooses “important threads”. Sometimes it’s very hard to say what is important and what is not for the development of PCT. It depends from understanding of people who create “extracted” archives. I really thought that everything is preserved. But now I see it will be very hard to prove who wrote nonsense about PCT and who didn’t.

Boris

From: Bruce Nevin (bnhpct@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

/Bruce

Here, this link works better:

http://www.pctresources.com/CSGnet/index.html

···

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:36 AM Bruce Nevin bnhpct@gmail.com wrote:

The archive at http://www.pctresources.com/csgnet_archives/ is complete, thanks to periodic updates by our Archivist Dag Forssell. What is incomplete is his copying of especially substantive threads into a separate collection.

No one has volunteered to extract every single CSGnet post (clipping off the repetitious tail of quoted email) so that each can be pasted as a separate post under the appropriate phpbb topic. Mak has volunteered for the Herculean task of doing that with a selected subset. What I asked for is help with the process of reading and selecting. (Re-reading for some of us.) Anyone is free to nominate particular threads. But you do have to look into the archive and actually read email exchanges over the past 30 years to do that. There are other reasons to do that. If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a dogmatic philosophy.

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 1:05 PM “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Bruce,

Boris

/Bruce

It seems that it was misunderstanding. So everything is available, including nonsense :blush:

···

Sent: Friday, May 31, 2019 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: Please help ID important CSGnet threads

&nb
sp;

HB : What is that I’m missing “what makes PCT a science” ? Who said anything about dogmatic phylosohpy except you ? Are you talking to me ?

Boris

Bruce,

Boris

The listserv preserves only the most recent three years of email exchanges. Dag has maintained [CSGnet archives on the web](https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.pctresources.com_csgnet-5Farchives_&d=DwMFaQ&c=OCIEmEwdEq_aNlsP4fF3gFqSN-E3mlr2t9JcDdfOZag&r=G2rjwc9SjlT6Blyc8su_Md8P_xOsOTRMJ5teQVBC2qU&m=rmcTLKxYQuK75m1xLKQu8gdgKPd6D6DJzUjEqz9KpHI&s=KvzJ_j2Y4gs8PXz8bULY1gpwGSZ0mYvNa
JteB4a7Dgw&e=). As you know, CSGnet traffic includes quite a mix of stuff, only some of which is of lasting value and interest.

/Bruce

"
If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a dogmatic philosophy."

Bruce Nevin

···

Definitely a good quote

Allie

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 8:06 AM “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

It seems that it was misunderstanding. So everything is available, including nonsense :blush:

Sent: Friday, May 31, 2019 3:37 PM

&nb
sp;

HB : What is that I’m missing “what makes PCT a science” ? Who said anything about dogmatic phylosohpy except you ? Are you talking to me ?

Boris

Bruce,

Boris

/Bruce

IÂ hope that we’ll come to some agreement Bruce and Alison,

I waited for Bruce’s arguments for what he was “quoting”. But as ussually there weren’t any. Just Bruce’s rethorical figure, without any scientific evidence or argument that what he is saying could be true.

But I didn’t expect something like that from you Alison. I still don’t understand why minimazing your father’s authority on CSGnet is a good quote. Does it mean that he is not worth of being authority on CSGnet ? I’ve been trying for 6 years to make some bases for common understanding of PCT and than I get this. Thank you very much Alison for showing on which side you are. I thought you’ll be glad that somebody is trying to keep PCT in live word with scientific arguments instead of “dogmatic phyilosophy” like Bruce Nevin and Rick Marken are promoting mostly without scientific arguments.

it seems that you are trying all the time to prove that I don’t know something or that Bills’ PCT is not good enough authority about PCT…or better about how organisms function. I’ll consider your insinuations without any arguments as insult to me and Bill Powers.

It seems that you doubt that PCT (as printed) is good enough GENERAL explanation about how organisms function. It seems that you are affirming that there is some great deal of “other science” in CSGnet archives that explain better PCT or represent some adds to PCT which in whole offer better explanation of PCT than it’s original form. Did I get it right ?

Well Bruce and Alison I’ve been quite some time on CSGnet and I saw a lot of discussions on CSGnet (mostly Rick was writing) and I really don’t know which could be that discussions that could suplement Bills’ original PCT with some new insights about which we could say that they represent upgrade to original PCT.

The only real scientific discussion I saw in this time (shall we say 15 years) that really represent upgrade to PCT is Henry Yin’s article. But it’s not part of CSgnet archives.

The other discussions that could upgrade PCT was between me and Bill about the “arrow” in diagram on p. 191 (B:CP, 2005).

Other “stuff” on CSGnet are by my oppinion better or worse attempts to understand PCT and till now I didn’t see that there could be “great deal” of something that I’m missing that could represent some clear understanding or add or upgrade to PCT. But please show that I’m wrong. I’ll be glad if I could learn something new.

Speccially Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years he wrongly understood PCT. So we could say that 40 years he wrote nonsense and still I’m not sure about whether he really understand PCT or not. But you all are welcome to explain to me how you understand PCT (organisms functioning) and of course support your understanding of PCT with some real life experiments. Anybody can do that anytime. Please offer something ?

BN : If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a dogmatic philosophy.

HB : This statement could possiblly be understood in many meanings but it’s hard to overlook a meaning that beside what Bill wrote about PCT there is a great deal of some “other science” that “makes PCT a science”. Bruce didn’t answer my question what is that “great deal” that makes PCT science that wasn’t already included in Bills life work that I’m missing.

We could also understand the statement that Bill wasn’t good enough when he produced his life central work (so he can’t be the only authority for PCT) as he overlooked a great deal of “some science” which somebody did beside him on CSGnet and so PCT and the rest of “some other science” make some “totality” which tells a great deal more than PCT itself.

Whatever. I think that Bruce is missing a great deal of PCT understanding. Like for example Rick who admitted his blindness and whom you both support all the time. Instead of apology, because Rick admitted his mistake it seems that you continue insulting me.

HB : You didn’t  offer any scientific arguments to support your insinuations.

So here is my explanation.

Mosty my prior authority is science in the sense of subject we are talking about : how organisms function. If PCT or what Bill said or write or print or however he expressed his thoughts are aligned with the subject I mentioned, then he is one of authorities on that subject (yellow color above).

And Bill Powers has a lot to show in comparison with “other science” on CSGnet. As I read quite some amount of scientific work, I can only say that Bill Powers deserves all respect in his genius insight into organisms functioning and I think he came the closest as he could to the problem of understanding how organisms function also with specialized literature that was available in that time.

In our conversations Bill Powers many times expressed worries about that specialized literature he used is maybe to old. But I used to answer that by my understanding of the same specialized literature in modern time i think that he grabbed the essence of how organisms function. For example I compared two physiological books from the same author. One in that time when it was 1th edition with 13th edition today.

Do you understand what I’m trying to say ? I’m trying to say that from 1th edition to 13th edition the essence of how organisms function didn’t change. There are upgrades and more precise meaning of some processes in human organism, some “deeper” knowledge about parts of the body, but the core knowledge which was gathered through history of human beings observing and dealing with the “same” genetical structure and functioning of organisms trying to survive, is the same. Whether they knew it or not, human race had to stabilize organisms (homeostasis) if people get ill or injured etc. so to survive. They did it experiencing “trials and errors”. Many died but experienced knowledge obviuosly survived. Sucessfull attempts were obviously “transffered” to the time being.

It’s unlikely that in the period of 50 years human organism would change so much that we could talk about new science in 13th edition. Rather experiences with “the same” genetic bases of human body are upgrading. So basically human body structure and functioning for ex. in the time of Hippocrates and today are aproximatelly the same (we could talk about some more genetic variations). Old Greeks tryed to hill for ex. soldiers who were wounded and today is the same thing. Doctors try to stablilize human body when something goes wrong : they try to stabilize organism in respect to homeostasis. Although todays methods of stabilizing organisms are much more sophisticated.

So knowledge about how to stablize the same genetic organization of organisms grow. But in 50 years the progress is not that fatal that we could say that Bill was reading some literature about different organization of human organism and that he is not authority about human organism organization or organization of any LCS. The core knowledge about homeostastical functioning of organisms didn’t change. So for ex. first 100 pages (the content, introduction, functional orgsnization of human body ….etc. inn both editions are practically the same. So based on many physiological books I’ve read I’ll give a statement that Bill is the only authority about PCT and how organsims function on CSGnet as he had great scientific knowledge behind his “printed work”. I could find some upgrades but the essence of his theory is firm and stable like iron and concrete. I think that nobody in next 100 years will not reach that understanding of living beings.

So organisms always show the same control characteristics although maybe in those times (when human race was in the beggining of existance) they didn’t talk or think about “control” but they sure did experience controlled characteristics of organisms. So they have to use activities which would enable human control, but they understood that in some other way or they just did it by their best faith to help each other to survive.

But they always had to do the same : they had to stabilize organism to “homeostatic” state. The nature of organisms functioning forced them to understand what they should do. And experiences obviously grow to “infinity” and new insights and ideas are born about the problem how to achieve best stability possible. I think the same thing happens today.

I hope that we understand that through human history so many experiences were accumulated with the “same” human organization that it’s worth considering what was the result of such “experience evolution”. So if I had to decide whether I’ll listen to Bill Powers as authority who integrated such a knowledge in his theoretical frame or to Bruce Nevin or Rick Marken who make some phylosophy about how organisms function, there is no doubt whose authority I’ll choose.

Of course the authority for me is with no doubt Bill’s PCT and science.

But it’s not “blind authority”. If PCT is in accordance (and mostly it is) with scientific knowledge, I follow Bill Powers. But if he is not in accordance with scientific knowledge I propose changes and upgrades to his theory like I did with “extra arrow” in his diagram on p. 191 (B:CP, 2005). It was necessary for PCT to stay in none contradicting state. Do we understand when and why Bill is “only” authority for me ?Â

And now about you Bruce Nevin ? My advice is that you try to widen your World with understanding PCT and content of some other sciences which can really support upgrades to Bill Powers Theory PCT. Â

Although I doubt that with your phylosophy you could answer my question to your insinuation about Bills’ authority I’ll repeat the question :

HB : What a great deal is that I’m missing “what makes PCT a science” ?

HB : To me it’s obvious that PCT is a science itself. It doesn’t need “a great deal” of something to be a science. But it can be usefull to add some upgrades what will not change the essence of PCT. So the statement above should be put by my oppinion in other way :

If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing some minor pieces to make PCT a little better scientific work. The main part is PCT itself. There is no “other great deal” which is missed. PCT itself is a whole itself - general theory of how organisms function.

Bill P. at all (50th Anniversary, 2011) : Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) provides a general theory of functioning for organisms

HB : So sorry to say but I have enough of insinuations and phylosophy which usually represent more or less no contribution to original PCT (some exceptions can be found). Mostly “trials and errors” in understanding PCT. Â In whole I think (CSGnet) there is not sufficient understanding how really organisms function and I also think that there is not enough understanding what PCT really is.

It seems that you don’t like Bills’ PCT to be main authority on his CSGnet forum and you are offering some “other science” beside PCT.

Who should by your oppinion be authority on CSGnet forum ?

Sometimes I got impression that Bruce Nevin and Rick think that CSGnet is meant as “memorium” to them not to Bill and Mary Powers. I’m wondering when Alison and Barb will wake up and put the “stuff” where it should be.

Do you Alison and Barb really think that your father shouldn’t be main authority about PCT as a science about how organisms function on CSGnet forum ? Or that a great deal of some other “science” should be authority ? Do you want me to stop citating Bill when I think he is in accordance to real science not to dogmatic phylosophy Bruce Nevin and Rick Marken are offering ?

Boris

···

Sent: Friday, May 31, 2019 3:40 PM

Here, this link works better:

http://www.pctresources.com/CSGnet/index.html

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 9:36 AM Bruce Nevin bnhpct@gmail.com wrote:

Bruce,

Boris

/Bruce

[Rick Marken 2019-06-04_07:55:49]

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

He, he you must be kidding Rick… And I tolld you too many times how my initials should be wrtten…

/span>

Bruce wrote that all is there in CSGnet archives. So search… But i think that all members on CSGnet remember what you wrote exxcept you. You are getting too old. O.K. if you’ll not find it I’ll help you.

···

From: Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 4:57 PM
To: csgnet csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:10 AM “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

BH: Speccially Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years he wrongly understood PCT.

RM: Where did I “admit” that?

Worst

Rick

Richard S. Marken

–Antoine de Saint-Exupery

BH: Speccially Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years he wrongly understood PCT.Â

RM: Where did I “admit” that?Â

BH: …O.K. if you’ll not find it I’ll help you.

RM: I’d appreciate it.

Â

···

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 9:55 AM “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Â

From: Richard Marken (rsmarken@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

Â

Â

Â

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:10 AM “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Â

Â

Worst

Â

Rick

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Richard S. MarkenÂ

But now, 40 years later, I finally understand what Bill was talking about;…II wish I had been able to understand this back then.

···

Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 7:11 PM

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 9:55 AM “Boris Hartman” csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

BH: Speccially Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years he wrongly understood PCT.

RM: Where did I “admit” that?

BH: …O.K. if you’ll not find it I’ll help you.

RM: I’d appreciate it.

Worst

Rick

Richard S. Marken

Richard S. Marken

[Martin Taylor 2019.06.04.16.31]

Replying to: On 2019/06/3 1:10 PM, "Boris Hartman"
···

boris.hartman@masicom.net

•    Speccially

Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years
he wrongly understood PCT. “** So we could say that 40
years he wrote nonsense* ,…” Here, the problem is that Rick
provided the context necessary to distinguish between “40 years
ago” and “for 40 years”, by providing a link to some 1980
correspondence as well as a photocopy of part of the link in
question. So we can be sure that Rick meant “40 years ago”.

But at the same time, he       [Rick Marken

2019-05-27_12:56:59] brought up an issue that, so far as I can
remember, has not been discussed on CSGnet – the role of noise in
the control loop. Bill did mention it in B:CP, when he defined the
concept of “Neural Current” as the sum of the firings of a bunch
of neurons over some sliding window of time. He noted that the
neural current was inherently noisy, but the results of analyses
using neural current as an analogue model of non-uniform impulse
rates ought to give results within perhaps 10% of what would be
found with a more detailed analysis. Rick said in the recent
message that he had thought his original proposal – " * I had to add “noise” to
have the model perform like the subjects in my experiments –
…was cheating, in a way* ." It wasn’t cheating. It was a
necessary consequence of using “neural current” in the analysis.

I disagree with Rick's new understanding of what Bill was saying,

though I stand to be corrected, because Rick could easily be right
about what Bill meant – "* I finally understand what
Bill was talking about; the source of noise is slight variations
in the reference signal that exist even when you try to maintain
a fixed reference signal.* ", and the two noise sources might
both work together.

Case 2: "      BN

: If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re
missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a
dogmatic philosophy." "HB : * This statement could
possiblly be understood in many meanings but it’s hard to
overlook a meaning that beside what Bill wrote about PCT there
is a great deal of some “other science” that “makes PCT a
science*”.

I cannot understand what version of English permits that

interpretation. Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what
Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like
this: “* The only authority recognized by science is Nature.
Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature** , but nobody, however much
of a genius they may be, has asked all possible questions of
Nature. To rely only on what someone says in print or verbally
divorces you from science. PCT is a science precisely because
the scientific exploration of its implications does NOT relay
on what Bill wrote as more than a guide as to what to expect
to find when you explore*.”

I suppose this means to you that I understand neither PCT nor

the English language, and you might be right. But I do not
intend to insult you by writing this message.

Martin

[Bruce Nevin 20190604.18:11 ET]

Martin Taylor 2019.06.04.16.31] –

Case 2: “BN : If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a dogmatic philosophy.” “HB : This statement could possiblly be understood in many meanings but it’s hard to overlook a meaning that beside what Bill wrote about PCT there is a great deal of some “other science” that "makes PCT a science”.
I cannot understand what version of English permits that interpretation. Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like this: "The only authority recognized by science is Nature. Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature

I cannot understand what version of English permits that interpretation. Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like this: “The only authority recognized by science is Nature. Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature*, but nobody, however much of a genius they may be, has asked all possible questions of Nature. To rely only on what someone says in print or verbally divorces you from science. PCT is a science precisely because the scientific exploration of its implications does NOT relay on what Bill wrote as more than a guide as to what to expect to find when you explore*.”

I appreciate your paraphrase, Martin, and it is a good one. A few further points. There’s a great deal there which is not in any publication. Science is inherently communal (an outlier like Mendel just disappears unless discovered and recognized), and much of the best of CSGnet is in the exchanges. But more narrowly, I meant that in a good proportion of his copious correspondence on CSGnet Bill demonstrated how to do science and exemplified how to be a scientist. Knowledge, method, skill, yes, these may come through in print, but matters like attitude, commitment, and utter exposure to the possibility of being wrong, these tend to be leached out of writing for publication.

···

/B

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 5:09 PM Martin Taylor csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Replying to: On 2019/06/3 1:10 PM, "Boris Hartman"

(boris.hartman@masicom.net via csgnet Mailing List) wrote

Boris, you usually get angry and say they have deliberately insulted

you if someone suggests that your control of English is less than
perfect, but I will risk it this time, because in one message it has
led you to defame both Rick and Bruce.

Case 1: "*        Speccially

Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years
he wrongly understood PCT. “** So we could say that 40
years he wrote nonsense* ,…” Here, the problem is that Rick
provided the context necessary to distinguish between “40 years
ago” and “for 40 years”, by providing a link to some 1980
correspondence as well as a photocopy of part of the link in
question. So we can be sure that Rick meant “40 years ago”.

But at the same time, he       [Rick Marken

2019-05-27_12:56:59] brought up an issue that, so far as I can
remember, has not been discussed on CSGnet – the role of noise in
the control loop. Bill did mention it in B:CP, when he defined the
concept of “Neural Current” as the sum of the firings of a bunch
of neurons over some sliding window of time. He noted that the
neural current was inherently noisy, but the results of analyses
using neural current as an analogue model of non-uniform impulse
rates ought to give results within perhaps 10% of what would be
found with a more detailed analysis. Rick said in the recent
message that he had thought his original proposal – " * I had to add “noise” to
have the model perform like the subjects in my experiments –
…was cheating, in a way* ." It wasn’t cheating. It was a
necessary consequence of using “neural current” in the analysis.

I disagree with Rick's new understanding of what Bill was saying,

though I stand to be corrected, because Rick could easily be right
about what Bill meant – "* I finally understand what
Bill was talking about; the source of noise is slight variations
in the reference signal that exist even when you try to maintain
a fixed reference signal.* ", and the two noise sources might
both work together.

Case 2: "      BN

: If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re
missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a
dogmatic philosophy." "HB : * This statement could
possiblly be understood in many meanings but it’s hard to
overlook a meaning that beside what Bill wrote about PCT there
is a great deal of some “other science” that “makes PCT a
science*”.

I cannot understand what version of English permits that

interpretation. Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what
Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like
this: “* The only authority recognized by science is Nature.
Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature** , but nobody, however much
of a genius they may be, has asked all possible questions of
Nature. To rely only on what someone says in print or verbally
divorces you from science. PCT is a science precisely because
the scientific exploration of its implications does NOT relay
on what Bill wrote as more than a guide as to what to expect
to find when you explore*.”

I suppose this means to you that I understand neither PCT nor

the English language, and you might be right. But I do not
intend to insult you by writing this message.

Martin

Bruce,

I at least adress to whom I’m talking. You are hidding…

···

Sent: Wednesday, June 5, 2019 12:43 AM
To: Martin Taylor mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net
Cc: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

[Bruce Nevin 20190604.18:11 ET]

Martin Taylor 2019.06.04.16.31] –

Case 2: “BN : If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a dogmatic philosophy.” “HB : This statement could possiblly be understood in many meanings but it’s hard to overlook a meaning that beside what Bill wrote about PCT there is a great deal of some “other science” that "makes PCT a science”.
I cannot understand what version of English permits that interpretation. Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like this: "The only authority recognized by science is Nature. Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature

I cannot understand what version of English permits that interpretation. Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like this: “The only authority recognized by science is Nature. Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature, but nobody, however much of a genius they may be, has asked all possible questions of Nature. To rely only on what someone says in print or verbally divorces you from science. PCT is a science precisely because the scientific exploration of its implications does NOT relay on what Bill wrote as more than a guide as to what to expect to find when you explore.”

BN : I appreciate your paraphrase, Martin, and it is a good one.

HB : I agree with you. Martin did good fantasy “paraphrasing” which has practically nothing to do with what you wrote. Probably for you is a good one beacuse it’s aligned with your phylosophy (reference). But for me is bad one because it’s not aligned with my scientific knowledge (references) about how organisms function.

BN : A few further points. : There’s a great deal there which is not in any publication.

HB : I suggested to Martin that he didn’t understand what we were talking about. Martins’ writings are really high class phylosophy so I think that you both don’t understand that we need evidences… not just phylosophy. Whatever that “great deal” is somewhere what is not in any publication, show me.

Maybe you could use some PCT to explain how that “great deal” looks like science. Could we have some concrete statements about nature of LCS or some scientific evidences that “great deal” beside PCT what “makes PCT a science” is really a science ??? I’m waiting for your arguments Bruce. Where are they ?

You don’t need a “great deal” of something that is not in any publication to understand PCT view of understanding “how organisms” function. It’s everything clearly written in Bills B:CP if you understand scientific language he was using.

It’s enough that you read B:CP and you understand PCT or you don’t. A great deal of “something” somewhere else will not show anything new about PCT if you recognize B:CP as right scientifically supported theory about how organisms function.

It’s clear what PCT is about. But will you finally show that “great deal” which will explain to us better “how organisms function” beside B:CP ?

BN : Science is inherently communal (an outlier like Mendel just disappears unless discovered and recognized), and much of the best of CSGnet is in the exchanges.

HB : Do I read it right ? Is this some kind of Introduction into phylosophy about science ? Is this about communication between people like Martin started :

MT : To rely only on what someone says in print or verbally divorces you from science.

BN : But more narrowly, I meant that in a good proportion of his copious correspondence on CSGnet Bill demonstrated how to do science and exemplified how to be a scientist. Knowledge, method, skill, yes, these may come through in print, but matters like attitude, commitment, and utter exposure to the possibility of being wrong, these tend to be leached out of writing for publication.

HB : If I’m honest Bruce I like such phylosophy. You are talking about correspondence and making mistakes. Good. It’s human. But still you are trying to direct water on your mill. What suit your way of understanding PCT. But that’s what science is for. To focus knowledge of great deal of people about what could be true about how organisms function. If we are speaking about PCT. So cut the phylosophy and show something.

HB : I’d still like to see scientific evidences and explanations how “organisms function” when you talk about PCT as a science or like Rick used to say : “PCT says”…

Even Martin warned Rick for using such a statements. I have nothing against correspondence and making mistakes but as different oppinion not as “talking in the name of PCT”. So whatever Bill demonstrated about essence of PCT on CSGnet it has to be also in his books. At least essence about how organism function. And that’s what PCT literature sure have. Bill couldn’t contradict so much to himself ? What do you think ?

HB : I wrote that there are many possible meanings of your statements. But Martin wrote like there is only one possible interpretation. HIS ???

You have PhD ? Don’t you ? So you know how scientific work should look like. You and Martin are not solving the basic problem that PCT wanted to solve. You both were participating discussions about what is PCT and how should be interpreted. But you offered just phylosophy. Where are scientific evidences that what you are talking could be true ? If you’ll give just your oppinion about PCT I’ll not object. It’s your oppinion, but it’s not “great deal of sicence” as part of PCT, that makes “PCT a science” until you show some evidences. Maybe real scientific experiments?

Boris

/B

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 5:09 PM Martin Taylor csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Replying to: On 2019/06/3 1:10 PM, “Boris Hartman” (boris.hartman@masicom.net via csgnet Mailing List) wrote
Boris, you usually get angry and say they have deliberately insulted you if someone suggests that your control of English is less than perfect, but I will risk it this time, because in one message it has led you to defame both Rick and Bruce.
Case 1: “Speccially Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years he wrongly understood PCT. "So we could say that 40 years he wrote nonsense,…” Here, the problem is that Rick provided the context necessary to distinguish between “40 years ago” and “for 40 years”, by providing a link to some 1980 correspondence as well as a photocopy of part of the link in question. So we can be sure that Rick meant “40 years ago”.
But at the same time, he [Rick Marken 2019-05-27_12:56:59] brought up an issue that, so far as I can remember, has not been discussed on CSGnet – the role of noise in the control loop. Bill did mention it in B:CP, when he defined the concept of “Neural Current” as the sum of the firings of a bunch of neurons over some sliding window of time. He noted that the neural current was inherently noisy, but the results of analyses using neural current as an analogue model of non-uniform impulse rates ought to give results within perhaps 10% of what would be found with a more detailed analysis. Rick said in the recent message that he had thought his original proposal – " I had to add “noise” to have the model perform like the subjects in my experiments – …was cheating, in a way." It wasn’t cheating. It was a necessary consequence of using “neural current” in the analysis.
I disagree with Rick’s new understanding of what Bill was saying, though I stand to be corrected, because Rick could easily be right about what Bill meant – “I finally understand what Bill was talking about; the source of noise is slight variations in the reference signal that exist even when you try to maintain a fixed reference signal.”, and the two noise sources might both work together.
I cannot understand what version of English permits that interpretation. Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like this: “The only authority recognized by science is Nature. Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature, but nobody, however much of a genius they may be, has asked all possible questions of Nature. To rely only on what someone says in print or verbally divorces you from science. PCT is a science precisely because the scientific exploration of its implications does NOT relay on what Bill wrote as more than a guide as to what to expect to find when you explore.”

I suppose this means to you that I understand neither PCT nor the English language, and you might be right. But I do not intend to insult you by writing this message.

Martin

Martin,

it seems that you are another one who reads what he wants and make some"paraphrasing" based on pure imagination which has nothing in common with what Bruce Nevin wrote. I really don’t understand “what version of English permits that interpretation”. It’s probably Martins’ private (imaginational) version. Â

HB : But if I’m honest I can assume what was the real purpose of your writings. We know each other quite a long time. Sorry I’ll be quite long this time considering that this could be our last communication.

I tried to read your message as far as possible scientifically but there was nothing what could be even close to what is science by your opinion. So it seems that you didn’t contribute anything to PCT and I’ll rather not talk about your contribution to understanding how organisms function. So this time it seems that you went “under bottom”. You told exactly nothing, and you didn’t only inuslt me, there is much more in your message.

MT : Boris, you usually get angry and say they have deliberately insulted you if someone suggests that your control of English is less than perfect, but I will risk it this time, because in one message it has led you to defame both Rick and Bruce.

HB : I don’t understand what you were reading but this time you are out of line of the real problem of conversation. Does demanding scientific evidences means defaming for you ? Well I could say that you are defaming me.Â

However I turn your writings I came to the same conclussion. You “crossed the line”.

Neither Bruce nor Alison suggested that my control of English is “less than perfect” or whatever. As far as problem of “suggesting” that I don’t understand English is concerned is limited to only 4 persons on CSGnet. You are among them. So if you don’t understand what I’m writing don’t read. But whatever you 4 persons were writing back it was obviuosly that you perfectly understood what I was writing. The problem is most probable in your LCS nature not in my writings. It’s not that I “don’t understand English”, but it’s about that you don’t understand PCT and of course you don’t understand how organisms function. Let us remember what basically PCT is about.

Bill P. at all (50th Anniversary, 2011) : Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) provides a general theory of functioning for organisms

HB : Correct me if I understood wrong (it seems that you did). I understand that PCT is general theory which is trying to search and research and find out how organisms (LCS) function. Did I get it ? Or did you get it ? PCT is among many theories that is trying to do the same thing. Understand how organisms function. And I think PCT did it great. Although we could add some upgrades.

LCS usually try to find ways to achieve goals. And of course instead of searching for real arguments for ex. about how organisms function (so to make some progress), people recourse to all kind of other means so that they can achieve goals. Probably this is why common sense took place with simple thought : “means justify goals”.

Probably all “killer absolutists” used that including Hitler. I wanted to say that usually people choose their means of achieving golas so to survive or live better. They use also other people for that. And I assume that you feel better after using such means of insulting me. Enjoy.

HB : I usually feel insulted if somebody tries to achieve goals in the way of “attacking somebody” or “minimizing somebody’s authority” or minimizing somebody’s understanding with statements which are directed to their personalities instead of supporting statements with scientific arguments. I admitt that I’m using both of them but with “chosen members”.

The problem is that you didn’t support your writings with any scientific arguments just full mouth of phylosophing.

I hope you understand what I’m writing about in some “version of English” ? If you don’t, ask ?

MT : I cannot understand what version of English permits that interpretation.

HB : Well Martin it was sometimes really nice talking to you. But this is where our “friendship” ends. You are trying to make “language idiot” of me by implying that I don’t understand any “version of English or American” or whatever. So you are probably aiming at that I don’t understand what anybody of you is writing including Bill. What do you think vocabularies are for ?

I think that understanding between people spring from their wilingness to understand each other. But of course people can also deliberatelly avoid understanding others. Like you are doing this time.

I think that you deliberatelly wrote what you wrote about my understanding of English with precise purpose. I beleive I know you that much. You are highly inteligent person, so as much as I know you, you always write with some well considered or well weighed or thoughtful reason.

But I’m surprised that so many of you read what I wrote. Even Rick read it although he claimed that he is not reading my posts anymore.

HB earlier: it seems that you are trying all the time to prove that I don’t know something or that Bills’ PCT is not good enough authority about PCT…or better about how orrganisms function. I’ll consider your insinuations without any arguments as insult to me and Bill Powers.

HB : Converstaion between me and Bruce Nevin (although he is avoinding adressing his posts) was about lack of evidences Bruce and Alison offered to support their statements that Bill is not enough authority for PCT but there is some “great deal” of something that suplement PCT so to make PCT a science. And I demanded evidences which I didn’t get. Do you understand Martin where was the main problem of conversation between me and Bruce Nevin ? And you solved exactly nothing. Stil there is no evidence that what Bruce Nevin was talking about “great deal of something” has some real basis.

HB : But I’m used to your role of playing ignorant wondering what was written or you try with other kind of ignorancy as means to achieve your goals. It happened quite some times in our conversations. It’s one of your ways of achieving goals. So I think I know what your real intentions could be. But you never know for sure because people don’t control outside but inside. From outside is many times hard to “see” what people really control. And we usually can’t see inside people, can we ?

HB : If I’m honest I’m used to some more sophisticated level of discussion from you. If you want to understand my English or American or whatever you’ll do. This can be clearly see from our past conversations and from conversation on ECACS. You even asked me for permission to keep my discourse about school system. Remember ? Why would you do that if you didn’t understand which verion of English I’m using.

And you wanted to visit me in Slovenia, probably to get what you wanted. If I’m so bad in any “verion of English” which you could understand why you tryed to visit me ? How could we communicate, if you don’t understand my “version” of whatever ? With our hands.

HB : So I don’t think that language is a problem in our communication. You probably just have to choose one mean to “attack” me. And as there were no others I assume you chose language. Of course with no scientific arguments that could support your insinuations.

I think that your discussion is marginal this time. Just writing something because of writing.

I wrote there are many possible meanings of Bruces’ quote and I chose some meanings. If you don’t understand (or you don’t wan’t to understand my meaning) it’s your problem. It’s just your interpretation. It’s not the only right interpretation.

Other answers are bellow…

···

From: Martin Taylor (mmt-csg@mmtaylor.net via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:09 PM

Replying to: On 2019/06/3 1:10 PM, “Boris Hartman” (boris.hartman@masicom.net via csgnet Mailing List) wrote

HB : I’ll jump first to “case 2”.

MT : I cannot understand what version of English permits that interpretation.

HB : You are probably not English :blush:. How could you understand any version of English if you are not from there ??? Check if you are on right Planet ? Did you try with American-Canadian vocabulary ? If I understand right you are not expert for language of any kind.

The most probable reason why you don’t understand “version of English”, is probably because you are Canadian. Take vocabulary and find out which “version of English” I’m talking about ? You can try also with English-Slovene or American-Slovene or Canadian-Slovene vocabulary, but it wouldn’ probably be of any use to you for understanding which “version” of Slovene I’m transforming into English. But maybe you could ask experts for such languages take care of vocabularies and they would probably answer you which “version of English” I’m talking about.

You can not understand many things about how organisms function and of course what PCT is. But that is not because of "version"of language, but because you lack of necesary knowledge to understand that. Interpretation about how organisms function has nothing to do with “version of English” but with understanding science (which no matter of used labnguage) enable understanding of how organisms function and of course understanding of PCT.Â

My personal oppinion is that you have two critical “holes” in your understanding of PCT. Shall we talk about possible number of “holes” you have about uinderstanding how organisms function ??? I’ll say at least 3, but considering what you wrote about electric shock I would risk it (like you) and guess that you have no clue what could be happening inside organism (nervous system).

MT earlier : Are you asking what is he difference between an electric shock and the amount of salt in a bucket of water? It sounds like that?

MT earlier : I don’ know how to answer such a question.

HB : You don’t know to answer such a question because you don’t understand how organisms function.

Interpretation of Bruce Nevin’s first part :

BN :Â If your only authority is what Bill has said in print

HB : …has a little to do with your underrstanding of my “verion of English” but mostly it has to do with how I understand PCT. It’s probably because I citate Bill so much as he is authority for PCT. Do you have any other explanation ?

Maybe you don’t understand why I have Bill for only authority about PCT and why I want to understand PCT as close as possible as he did ? Becuase he is the author and I’m quite sure that he knew what he was writing about. Do you ?  Â

MT : Nor can I find any plausible meanings to what Bruce said other than than a paraphrase that goes something like this: "The only authority recognized by science is Nature*.*

HB : Where did you get that meaning from Bruce’s statements ??? Your “paraphrasing” is obviously perfect twist of Bruce Nevin words. Where did you find the term Nature or that sicence has anything to do with Nature in his statement ? Where did Bruce Nevin make that connection ???

The only explanation I get from your “version of English” is that you added meaning from your imagination ? Your paraphrasing means that you must be good at reading Bruce Nevins thoughts. Another “Occultist” or “Telepat”??? As far as I can see what you wrote has nothing to do with what he wrote. Let us see again what Bruce Nevin wrote :

"BN : If your only authority is what Bill has said in print, you’re missing a great deal of what makes PCT a science rather than a dogmatic philosophy

HB : So where is the meaning in Bruces’ statement that science is recognizing the Nature for only authority ? A “great deal of” something ??? The point was (if you read my post in whole, not only what you wanted to read) that Bruce Nevin has to prove that a “great deal” of something is making PCT a science. Or better. He has to prove that “great deal” of something has to do something with science and Nature. He didn’t offer any proofs till now ? So do you understand finally what the problem was about ?

We are investigating what could be “great deal” of something what I’m missing (beside Bills PCT) that could mean something what makes “PCT a science” ? So we have to find out whether “great deal” which I’m missing has something to do with science (Nature). Bruce Nevin didn’t offer any evidence that “great deal” means something connected to science. And you concluded that he is talking about science as NATURE… ??? From where ? Did Bruce Nevin send you any evidennces that “great deal” could mean “science is NATURE” ??? Â

BN : …you’re missing a great deal of what makess PCT a science

HB : So where is that “great deal” of something that makes PCT a science ???

It seems that you can’t find any plausible meaning because your are not reading what is written, but you are reading and writing what you want to read and write, with your imagination. Only plausible meaning for “great deal” I’m missing is a “great deal” of nothing that makes PCT a science, because I didn’t see any evidences. Or at least you didn’t show anything,

What and where we can find that “great deal” that is supplementing PCT as a science ?

MT : Books may tell what their authors understood by asking Nature, but nobody, however much of a genius they may be, has asked all possible questions of Nature.

HB : Where did you go now ? All this you see from Bruce Nevins’ statements ??? How ??? You must be “superman” with “laser vision”. Where exactly do you see that he was talking about NATURE and all possible questions of Nature ??? Where are evidences for that ? Oh maybe you think that it’s about big Martin who’s word is synonim for the only truth.Â

Again. It was not the problem in understanding Nature, but whether a “great deal” of something makes PCT a science or not. To the problem how much PCT fits NATURE we’ll talk in another step when Bruce Nevin will show something. Bruce Nevin should provide evidences for his statement but he didn’t. How a “great deal” of something supplement Bills’ PCT ? And where can we find that ?

Discussion between me and Bruce Nevin and Alison was about establishing if “great deal” of something that makes “PCT science” makes any sense or not. They didn’t show any evidences and neither did you that “great deal” beside original PCT makes “PCT science”. You are just phylosophing.

MT : To rely only on what someone says in print or verbally divorces you from science.

HB : Do I understand right that what you are saying is that what Bill says in print is “divorcing” me from science ??? Or generally, Do you think that if people rely on what someone says in print or verbally is divorcing people from science ? Is that what you are saying ??? So whatever generally people say in print or verbally divorces other people from science ? From which Planet are you ?

Because if this is true then Bill who relyed on what someone says in print (for ex. Ashby, neurophysiology) divorced Bill Powers from science ??? Did you read what you were writing ?

What it is than a science ? If you write or talk about scientific experiments which other did and “said it in print” with scientific results, that is not a science ??? What is than a science ? How will you proceed scientifc knowledge to others if not with saying in print or verbally ? With Telelpathy ???

If I understand right then everything what Bill wrote is worthless because “what Bill Powers says in print” divorces me or anybody from science ???

Or you are talking about “some science” and we don’t know of what origin is your science ??? Phylosophical ? Did you make all scientific experiments for what you are talking about or you are writing about by yourself '?? Or did you use also scientific literature…??? HHow experiences about scientific experiments are “transffered” into society ??? I assume that when you finished your PhD studies mentor or other members probably adviced you to write about your work “in print”(articles, maybe books) to inform other scientists about your work or they adviced not to say it in print, because that’s something that “divorces others from science” ??? How else could you inform anybody if not by saying or explaining to them or “in print” ? With Telephaty ?

MT : PCT is a science precisely because the scientific exploration of its implications does NOT relay on what Bill wrote as more than a guide as to what to expect to find when you explore."

HB : And on what scientific explorations of implications of PCT rely on ? On Friston ? Come on Martin. Dont’ talk nonsense. You have to read PCT and match “explorations” to PCT so to understand what is PCT and whether is right about how organisms function or not. If PCT has some scientific content it will match to understanding of other scientist how organisms function which can be seen by all.

How you’ll know that you are talking about PCT as a science if not by relaying on what Bill wrote or verbaly transfer to others ???

PCT is a science because Bill used also many scientific evidences about how organisms function, not just phylosophing like you, Bruce Nevin and Rick are doing.

We have to understand that all the time we are talking about PCT as a theory of organisms functioning (the subject or our search and research) and by that we also explore whether Bill was right or not. You are obviously saying that Bill was not right and you offer Friston probably “in print”. Friston too has to know much about how organisms function probably by relying on what was written or verbalized in physiological and neurophysiological circles and of course he probably rely on his experiences. But this doesn’t mean that relying on what was “in print” and verbal scientific discussion “divorced” him from science. How did he finnished his studies if not by using what others said “in print” and verbally ?

You rely on Friston, why ? Because what you read in print from him “divorces” you from science ? He is obviuously writing about science if he is neurophysiologist. And he is right in some points. And I think that Friston and PCT go quite well toghether… as far as I understand both of them.Â

How will you know that implications of PCT are PCT explorations if you are not relying on what Bill wrote ? PCT itself has so many scientific explorations incorporated in it’s “theoretical body” that we can really talk about science.

So where Bruce Nevin’s “great deal” of something can be incorporated into PCT and show some PCT science or how organisms function, so that we can say that I’m missing a great deal of PCT as a science ?

Do you know for any other kind of scientific sources of information about PCT today but Bills’ written sources ??? You and Rick are obviously relying on Bills sources “in print” (your last discussion).Â

Bill Powers has to rely on some scientific literature (experiments done by others) or on his experiments to form PCT ? I think that Ashby’s book was cruical for his exploration about how organisms function and neurophysiology he used…. etc.

PCT is not only a guide. Bill wrote about firm “facts” (scientific literature) which can be proved in practical experiments (like Rick is doing behind computer) and with scientific experiments in nature (which mostly non of you are doing). So mostly PCT is reference for scientific exploration because it is itself a scientific book composed of scientific “facts”.

That’s why Rick is all the time wrong with RCT as he was using PCT as a guide not as precise ground for “scientific exploration”. So the result he made was his phylosophy about how organisms function. Â

I think that problem is in interpretation of results of Rick’s experiments ?

I think that Rick is making wrong interpretations of his “experiments”, because he does not understand PCT, so he can’t confirm that results of his experiments are plausible with PCT and with how organisms function. He clearly showed that his analysis of " racquetball game" was wrong, because he was not “guided” by PCT principles and physiological but with his psychological. Game was analysed from a view point of psychologist and of course his interpretation of what is happening when he is playing is wrong.

He can’t explain right what is really happening for example in his “forehand” movement. Nobody can perceive “forehand” movement as a whole perception inside. Only observer conditionally can. But observer is not the “who shot the ball”. He can make better or worse interpretation what happend like thousands of observers on football game who “exactly know” what player should do in specific playing situation. It’s bla,bla, bla… They are not in players skinn to “experience” perceptions in that situation.

But I’m interested where are your “precise scientific exploration of implications of PCT” ??? Are you exploring behind computer (your picture on internet) like Rick and probably Bruce Nevin are doing. Are there any great exploration of PCT that you, Rick or Bruce Nevin could show being guided by PCT ??? Phylospohy which I see you, Rick and Bruce Nevin are producing has a little to do with what you are talking about NATURE. Show me evidences ?

I’m asking all the time that Bruce Nevin should show something what could resemble to “scientific explorations of implications about PCT” but he showed nothing. One, big ZERO. And you are phylosophing too, showing one big ZERO at the moment.

Any “specific precise scientific implication of PCT” can rely only on Bill literature and match experiments to his theoretical background (which is supported by science), because we don’t have any other sources of evidences for PCT. PCT is science because Bill used scientific literature which is written in his literature and we can match what he wrote with other scientific literature or experiments that will confirm of deny PCT as a science.

MT : I suppose this means to you that I understand neither PCT nor the English language,

HB : The probable cause that you don’t understand the main point of PCT (but you did understand couple times) is lack of some specialized knowledge and you are too frequently changing your mind.

Your understanding of English probably has something to do with whether you play role of ignorant or not. And we know that you can read what you want in any version of English you want. You showed that perfectly in our past conversations.

MT : …and you might be right.

HB : I know I’m not right, because however good I know you, I know that I’ll never “see through” you knowing what real intentions of your writings were. But I know that you can write extremely good about PCT. I don’t know why all these charade was necessary. Â

MT : But I do not intend to insult you by writing this message.

HB : Well Martin. You did what you did. It’s final. Read again what you wrote :

MT earlier : Boris, you usually get angry and say they have deliberately insulted you if someone suggests that your control of English is less than perfect, but I will risk it this time,

HB : You did it purposefully. You risk it this time. There is no way back. You should have thought of consequences of your acts, before you did it. You have a great mind but you sometimes use it in wrong direction. You didn’t only insulted me you tried to humiliate me. And that’s sure what I’ll not forget.

HB : Now case 1.

Case 1:

HB earlier : “Speccially Ricks contributions are worthless as he admitted that 40 years he wrongly understood PCT. "So we could say that 40 years he wrote nonsense,…”

MT : Here, the problem is that Rick provided the context necessary to distinguish between “40 years ago” and “for 40 years”, by providing a link to some 1980 correspondence as well as a photocopy of part of the link in question. So we can be sure that Rick meant “40 years ago”.

HB : Sorry I don’t understand your “paraphrasing” of Ricks words :

RM : But now, 40 years later, I finally understand what Bill was talking about;…I wish I had been able to understand this back then.

HB : It’s clear that 40 years later Rick finally understand what Bill was talking about and that he wish that he had been able to understand that 40 years ago. What’s not clear here ?

Whether is “40 years ago” that he didn’t understand" or “for 40 years” that he didn’t understand is the same in the Ricks’ context. He didn’t understand before 40 years what Bill was talking about and important is that now 40 later he understands what Bill was talking about back then.

Do you understand his “version of English” ? It’s clear that 40 years he didn’t understand.

Also important is that you criticized Rick for his misunderstanding of PCT and I cirticized him through his nonsence talkings about what “PCT says”. It’s about 12 statements Rick produced what makes him World Champion in talking nonsense. You can find them in CSGnet archives. Bruce Nevin says that everything is there.

HB : I don’t understand what you wanted to say bellow so I’ll pass. Whatever Rick understood in that time it’s not relevant, because he understood Bill 40 years later. He thinks that he understands now – conditionally, but I think that he still don’t understand the essence of PCT as probably in this moment you don’t. But you are changing your mind quite often.

Boris

MT : But at the same time, he [Rick Marken 2019-05-27_12:56:59] brought up an issue that, so far as I can remember, has not been discussed on CSGnet – the role of noise in the control loop. Bill did mention it in B:CP, when he defined the concept of “Neural Current” as the sum of the firings of a bunch of neurons over some sliding window of time. He noted that the neural current was inherently noisy, but the results of analyses using neural current as an analogue model of non-uniform impulse rates ought to give results within perhaps 10% of what would be found with a more detailed analysis. Rick said in the recent message that he had thought his original proposal – " I had to add “noise” to have the model perform like the subjects in my experiments – …was cheating, in a way." It wasn’t cheating. It was a necessary consequence of using “neural current” in the analysis.
I disagree with Rick’s new understanding of what Bill was saying, though I stand to be corrected, because Rick could easily be right about what Bill meant – “I finally understand what Bill was talking about; the source of noise is slight variations in the reference signal that exist even when you try to maintain a fixed reference signal.”, and the two noise sources might both work together.

Boris

Martin