Please help me find Powers' quote

[From Dag Forssell (2016.10.06 15:30 PST)]

I would like to use a quote from Powers that I remember only vaguely.

That means I don't remember the exact words or formulation, so it becomes hard to find it using search across PCT books and websites.

It goes something like this:

"I was the kind of guy that when the premises did not make sense, why listen to detailed explanations"

Bill was making a comment on himself in school, perhaps in his early teens.

I am hopeful that someone has read this sentiment and remembers where.

I can always make up and use a statement to this effect, but would prefer to quote Bill.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dag

[From Adam Matic 2016.10.07]

This one?

Dialogue, first in the excerpts, p. xxxiv, the letter is dated Nov 8, 1985.

“In school, I was always the guy who raised his hand during the introductory lectures. If I can’t swallow the basis for an argument, I just can’t see any point in hearing the whole thing worked out. I am as certain as I can be that Miller’s fundamental assumptions about the very nature of organism are false to fact. I’m willing to stipulate that his logic is impeccable - but so what? Garbage in, garbage out.”

I think I remembered it because of the reference to JG Miller.

···

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 12:09 AM, Dag Forssell csgarchive@pctresources.com wrote:

[From Dag Forssell (2016.10.06 15:30 PST)]

I would like to use a quote from Powers that I remember only vaguely.

That means I don’t remember the exact words or formulation, so it becomes hard to find it using search across PCT books and websites.

It goes something like this:

“I was the kind of guy that when the premises did not make sense, why listen to detailed explanations”

Bill was making a comment on himself in school, perhaps in his early teens.

I am hopeful that someone has read this sentiment and remembers where.

I can always make up and use a statement to this effect, but would prefer to quote Bill.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dag

[From Dag Forssell <tel:%282016.10.06%2015>(2016.10.06 15:55 PST)]

That is the one :slight_smile:

Many thanks!

Dag

···

At 03:31 PM 10/6/2016, you wrote:

[From Adam Matic 2016.10.07]

This one?�

Dialogue, first in the excerpts, p. xxxiv, the letter is dated Nov 8, 1985.

"In school, I was always the guy who raised his hand during the introductory lectures. If I can't swallow the basis for an argument, I just can't see any point in hearing the whole thing worked out. I am as certain as I can be that Miller's fundamental assumptions about the very nature of organism are false to fact. I'm willing to stipulate that his logic is impeccable - but so what? Garbage in, garbage out."

I think I remembered it because of the reference to JG Miller.