Popular Cover/Feature Article on Feedback Loops

I request your attention the cover article of the July Wired, thematically entitled The Mental Machine:

Harnessing the Power of Feedback Loops

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/06/ff_feedbackloop/

OR the full for print version:

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/06/ff_feedbackloop/all/1

I think this article is relevant to Bill’s two paragraphs of a recent email to conference participants:

“What is it about the theories and practices in your profession, as you initially understood them before PCT, that will be changed forever in the light of knowing that people are living control systems who organize and reorganize themselves to control their own lives?”

This is the opening move in the joint authorship of a book which will explain exactly how PCT will change the way various branches of the life sciences and practices go about their business. That book will be the opening move in a challenge to the established life sciences which I hope cannot be ignored.

The article is a potpourri (literally, a stinking pot) of control and feedback pop and pseudo science and applications, based on the engineering models of control theory, BUT, in the context of Bill’s recent conference email and proposal, a great segue into promoting PCT into a wider audience attention and into challenging how current sciences, technologies and practices ‘go about their business’.

You may wish to add to the 16 comments already posted to the online article. Some may even be ambitious enough to ask for some followup article or extended LTE in the next issue.

Wouldn’t this be the change we need?

Lloyd

Lloyd Klinedinst - lloydk@klinedinst.com

http://www.klinedinst.com

10 Dover Lane - Villa Ridge, MO 63089-2001

Home: (636) 451-3232 FAX: (636)451-3232 Mobile: (314)-609-5571

[From Rick Marken (2011.06.25.1000)]

Harnessing the Power of Feedback Loops…

The article is a potpourri (literally, a stinking pot) of control and feedback pop and pseudo science and applications, based on the engineering models of control theory, BUT, in the context of Bill’s recent conference email and proposal, a great segue into promoting PCT into a wider audience attention and into challenging how current sciences, technologies and practices ‘go about their business’.

Thanks Lloyd. I’ll take a more careful look it asap but on first scan it looks pretty awful, first because it names Bandura as one of the pioneers in the field, which is ridiculous; also, the feedback diagram I saw is a mess. But the article does provide a nice segue into a topic I wanted to broach: positive feedback in economics.

As you know there are two kinds of feedback; positive, which is bad, and negative, which is good. Positive feedback exists when error drives outputs that increase error; in this case there is no control. Negative feedback exists when error drives outputs that reduce error: in this case there is control.

It looks to me like the US economy is currently in a positive feedback regime; increases in error (reflected at the aggregate level in terms of high unemployment, stagnant wages, poverty and bankruptcies due to healthcare costs) has led to a demand for a continuation and/or accentuation of the outputs (policies) that have increased this error (reduced taxes on the wealthy, tax policies that encourage off-shoring of manufacturing, reduced regulation of financial institutions and the continuation of a for-profit healthcare industry). I think the gain of this positive feedback loop is fairly weak so the system may stabilize at what might be called “third world” status (perhaps it already has). I think that may be the best we can hope for.

But I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to change the polarity of this loop. Actually, the polarity may be negative but, due to lags in the system, this negative feedback loop just acts like a positive feedback loop. The lags I’m talking about are those the exist between different policy regimes. For example, the Republican regime, which implemented the policies that increased error, was followed by a Democratic regime that tried to implement policies that would reduce the error. But since the error continued (or decreased only slightly) when the correct actions were taken, the public who was experiencing the error blamed that error on current policies. So they demand a change back to the old policies that created the error in the first place. It’s like being in a tracking task where there is a long lag between input and the effect of output on input.

Even if the feedback in the loop is negative – such that outputs do have effects in inputs that would reduce error --a lag will make it difficult or impossible for the controller to vary outputs properly in order to maintain control. I think these kinds of time lags in an economy make it very difficult to implement policies that keep the error in the economy low. This is a particular problem when you have people with a vested interest (because it makes them rich or because it is consistent with their ideological goals) in maintaining the policies that have created the error in the first place.

Whaddaya think?

Best

Rick

···

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:20 AM, Lloyd Klinedinst lloydk@klinedinst.com wrote:

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

[From Adam Matic]

It's an interesting article. I've read it a day or two ago hoping to
find a good understanding of feedback, but in vain. Still, a person
like the author of the article might have a good background to
understand and be interested in PCT.

It looks to me like the US economy is currently in a positive feedback
regime; increases in error (reflected at the aggregate level in terms of
high unemployment, stagnant wages, poverty and bankruptcies due to
healthcare costs) has led to a demand for a continuation and/or accentuation
of the outputs (policies) that have increased this error (reduced taxes on
the wealthy, tax policies that encourage off-shoring of manufacturing,
reduced regulation of financial institutions and� the continuation of a
for-profit healthcare industry).� I think the gain of this positive feedback
loop is fairly weak so the system may stabilize at what might be called
"third world" status (perhaps it already has).� I think that may be the best
we can hope for.

AM:
It looks like positive feedback to me too.
Although I do have a different view on why it's positive.

First, people who regulate the economy, or try to, can't perceive the
variables they need to control.
A government agency should take care of economic interests of
everyone. They don't have good measures for what is good. If each
policy could be evaluated on what it does for everyone that would be
better. Instead, only short-term effects on a small group of people
are evaluated.

For example, if trying to protect US producers of cars, the agency in
charge raises tariffs on all import cars; then it is obvious that US
car producers will sell more cars in the US in the short run. Also,
foreign producers will sell less cars to US consumers. What is not
obvious is that the foreign producers will then have less dollars to
spend in the US. Whatever they have bought before with the money that
cars earned, they can no longer buy. That way the tariffs actually
don't help the economy in the whole, they slowly destroy exporting;
but do help the car producers for a while.

What makes it a positive loop is that tariffs buy votes, in this case
from car-factory workers and their families. It's presented as a good
thing and sure looks like that. The regulators and policy makers and
don't need to know the causal relationships between what they do and
what happens in the economy. They just need to control for staying in
power, going for votes instead controlling the variables they should
control. A lot of them are professional politicians, democrats and
republicans alike; their interest is to stay in power and that is not
necessarily connected with controlling the state of the economy.

There are many other examples of positive feedback where going for
votes hinders economic prosperity, but keeps people in their places. I
believe the cure for returning the economy on it's feet is educating
people about economy; but that can't be done until there is a solid
science of economy.

Best
Adam

I’ll start with your last question: “Whaddaya think?”

So methinks:

So many thinks, such little time - think is long; life is short.

In light of the recent discussion under the topic of “More Questions” I can’t begin to imagine (one kind/mode of my behavioral range) what people will make of my thinking/expressing on this post topic.

Now from the top of your considerations, the ones I copied:

RE: your 1st ¶:

On the two kinds of feedback - two kinds in the context of this discussion - who knows how many  feedback types we might slice and dice.

The ‘Harnessing’ article uses the pop usage of feedback: positive≈good; negative≈bad.

I've been much more interested in the positive-negative feedback as described in PCT. I've also thought much about their mechanism(s).

Two different loops or one loop behaving differently?

Addictive behavior or regulative behavior? "Out of" control behavior or "in control behavior - though the later is somewhat tautologous.

If two: the RS of the control loop might be so out of range of any of the possible Ps which one can act to affect/effect such that no number or magnitude of actions will get behavior in a control state.

If one: perhaps something about the incoming P is so appealing and perhaps more satisfying to what the RS was set-pointing that the RS ratchets higher, thus setting a new RS value. I would love to know the electro-chemical micro-cellular (the neuroscience) interaction of this phenomenon.

But leading into your next ¶ and anticipating my reference to LCSIII, Bill addresses this issue of multiple negative feedback systems:

This is the general problem of multidimensional control. What seem to be independent dimensions of change are actually coupled to each other, sometimes only loosely but sometimes very strongly, through pathways that are not obvious. This means when a control system is used to alter the object in one dimension, doing so creates disturbances of one or more of the other dimensions. The opposing actions taken by the other control systems can in turn disturb the first control system, so an unintended feedback loop can be created. When systems become coupled together through these accidental interactions, the most common result is instability, because two symmetrically interacting negative feedback systems form a positive feedback loop—an error*-increasing* loop. p 98

RE: your 2nd ¶:

Now for the knotty economics instantiation: I propose (safely, from my RS, or else I wouldn't propose it) that conservatives and liberals (as two grossly defined categories - see just one sample reference to this distinction by George Lakoff: [http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467716.html](http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467716.html) ) have distinctly different RSs.  Conservative/ strict father:The rich can never get rich enough; the poor never poor enough. And you can replace 'rich' with 'dominant' 'powerful', 'authoritarian'… in contrast to … €¦ Conservative/nurturing family: All humans are created relatively equal and live best within a moderate range of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Moving closer to your 'US economy' RS/P/CV (I use this term as a relationship term of three elements in the control loop) - as a CV, I think proximately of Bill's recent post [From Bill Powers (2011.06.21.2140 MDT)] in which he says, "Now there is no little circle in the environment -- the subtraction happens inside the input function."

In the case of the 'US economy' RS/P/CV there is NO BIG CIRCLE, no CV called the 'US economy'. It's all Ps related to our RSs. (…and so one of our slogans: It's all perception.)

So the RS of the ‘US economy’ may be a positive feedback loop for the conservatives and a negative feedback loop for the liberals OR just two different PCT negative feedback loops. Either way, there are two distinctly different ‘feedback regime’(s) as you call it.

In preparing to reply to this paragraph I also looked at Bill's Ch 6: Multidimensional Control of Living Control Systems III: The Fact of Control and his last words in the concluding section, 'Freedom and Dignity' of his original (pun emphatically intended) Behavior: The Control of Perception. I come away from both readings, nearly speechlessly impressed with their wisdom. In the original work, Bill concludes:

In order to avoid self-destruction, I think that all we need do is consider openly and very carefully the implications of this basic concept of human nature. That one concept, so antithetical in its implications to the ways in which people have always thought about each other and themselves, gives us a place to stand from which we can move the world.

RE: your 3rd ¶:

I see a conflation here between lag in one feedback loop and simply a conflict between two feedback loops/regimes.

RE: your 4th ¶:

In this paragraph about the size (implicit) of the CV, and the 'lag' and the 'vested interest' - I think of Kent McClelland's 'collective control of perception' series of papers; and why it's so hard to move 'city hall'. The scenario I use is one wherein in order to start something new, to get the 'change we need', it is better to break new ground rather than rearrange the graves in a cemetery because there are too many vested interests to unearth, uncover, expose. The change we need is some mew kind of preferably peaceful American revolution.

So much for now. I look forward to any continuing discussion of these issues.

Lloyd

¶ 1
…As you know there are two kinds of feedback; positive, which is bad, and negative, which is good. Positive feedback exists when error drives outputs that increase error; in this case there is no control. Negative feedback exists when error drives outputs that reduce error: in this case there is control.
¶ 2

It looks to me like the US economy is currently in a positive feedback regime; increases in error (reflected at the aggregate level in terms of high unemployment, stagnant wages, poverty and bankruptcies due to healthcare costs) has led to a demand for a continuation and/or accentuation of the outputs (policies) that have increased this error (reduced taxes on the wealthy, tax policies that encourage off-shoring of manufacturing, reduced regulation of financial institutions and the continuation of a for-profit healthcare industry). I think the gain of this positive feedback loop is fairly weak so the system may stabilize at what might be called “third world” status (perhaps it already has). I think that may be the best we can hope for.
¶ 3

But I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to change the polarity of this loop. Actually, the polarity may be negative but, due to lags in the system, this negative feedback loop just acts like a positive feedback loop. The lags I’m talking about are those the exist between different policy regimes. For example, the Republican regime, which implemented the policies that increased error, was followed by a Democratic regime that tried to implement policies that would reduce the error. But since the error continued (or decreased only slightly) when the correct actions were taken, the public who was experiencing the error blamed that error on current policies. So they demand a change back to the old policies that created the error in the first place. It’s like being in a tracking task where there is a long lag between input and the effect of output on input.
¶ 4

Even if the feedback in the loop is negative – such that outputs do have effects in inputs that would reduce error --a lag will make it difficult or impossible for the controller to vary outputs properly in order to maintain control. I think these kinds of time lags in an economy make it very difficult to implement policies that keep the error in the economy low. This is a particular problem when you have people with a vested interest (because it makes them rich or because it is consistent with their ideological goals) in maintaining the policies that have created the error in the first place.

Whaddaya think?

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken PhD
rsmarken@gmail.com
www.mindreadings.com

Lloyd Klinedinst - lloydk@klinedinst.com

http://www.klinedinst.com

10 Dover Lane - Villa Ridge, MO 63089-2001

Home: (636) 451-3232 FAX: (636)451-3232 Mobile: (314)-609-5571

···

On Jun 25, 2011, at 12:03 PM, Richard Marken wrote: