Since beginning to practice MOL and work through the
implications of PCT in psychotherapy, I have often experienced periods of
confusion and “fogginess” as I work with clients. In
returning to diagrams of the control system and thinking about how this applies
in clinical situations, it occurred to me that maybe the cause of my confusion
is that I have erroneously been focusing on seeking to control or cause things
I have been taught are reference conditions for identifying “client
progress”, thereby leading me across the environment-control system
boundary, resulting in confusion or “blurring”.

So, am I correct in stating that, if a therapist’s
controlled variable is a perception of a behavioral output of another living
control system (something supposed to represent client progress in a session,
for example), the therapist would likely experience loss of perceptual control
(with associated symptoms), and be more likely to engage in interpersonal
control maneuvers?

Thanks,

Andrew

[From David Goldstein (2009.07.29.19:53 EDT)]

[About Andrew Nichols (2009.07.29.1711)]

Hello Andrew,

I, and a group of licensed Psychologists in NJ,are also exploring the use of MOL in psychotherapy.

We had a conference in Cherry Hill, NJ in which Bill Powers held forth for a weekend. You can see some videos of the conference at:

http://www.moltherapists.com/

What are the “reference conditions of client progress” that you are monitoring?

Bill emphasizes “following the person where they are going” which might be incompatible with what you are monitoring.

The confusion that you are experiencing may reflect a conflict–follow the person or lead the person in certain directions.

If you ever record a session with a digital recorder, I and my colleagues would be happy to review the session for you. I would be happy to tell you what kind of recording setup works for me and gives very high quality recordings of both the therapist and patient.

Great to have you on board.

David

···

----- Original Message -----

Andrew Nichols

To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU

Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:11 PM

Subject: Practical PCT applications (MOL)

[About Andrew Nichols (2009.07.29.1711)]

Since beginning to practice MOL and work through the implications of PCT in psychotherapy, I have often experienced periods of confusion and “fogginess” as I work with clients. In returning to diagrams of the control system and thinking about how this applies in clinical situations, it occurred to me that maybe the cause of my confusion is that I have erroneously been focusing on seeking to control or cause things I have been taught are reference conditions for identifying “client progress”, thereby leading me across the environment-control system boundary, resulting in confusion or “blurring”.

So, am I correct in stating that, if a therapist’s controlled variable is a perception of a behavioral output of another living control system (something supposed to represent client progress in a session, for example), the therapist would likely experience loss of perceptual control (with associated symptoms), and be more likely to engage in interpersonal control maneuvers?

Thanks,

Andrew

attention: dr. david goldstein,

will see you tomoro- wanted you and cst folks who are anticipating mol making a hit in psychology in america, i did my best at apa conv. -

btw, according to dr. john norcross at apa, who is one of the primo researchers on the relationship of therapist and client and overall studying of psychotherapy outcomes, client variables account for 25 percent of the variability in psychotherapy outcomes- also, the folks in division 32, humanistic psychotherapy, have always looked at client factors in predicting outcome.

speak more to you about interesting stuff tomoro david and rest of clin. staff at vcrtc.- to the rest of csg folks, toronto is one of the greatest cities in the world i believe! let’s open a pct/mol center there.

gary padover

···

correction from gary padover,

recent email should be csg not cst - rather not remember what cst is acronym for = child study team in n.j

···