Presentation, Perceptual Control Theory, PCT

[Dag Forssell (20191101 18:25 PST)]

Friends,

Most of you know that I have been a student and advocate of Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) for 30 years. I am now scheduled to present the introduction and overview I have worked on for some time. (See attached announcement). To me, the wisdom available from PCT runs deep, so I want to do what I can to share it. This is of course a basic, rather brief introduction, featuring context I think relevant for understanding.

As shown in the attached announcement, anyone can flip through my slide presentation and read my prepared text. If you can't attend, you just don't get my live presentation and verbal emphasis, nor can you participate in the Q&A to follow.

Christine and I are leaving Sunday for a Hawaii cruise. I'll be lecturing to the wind to practice. I'll also check email from time to time, so comments and suggestions will be welcome. I do want my presentation to be understandable, relevant and true to the history and challenges this revolution has faced and still faces. Not mentioned here will be contributions by numerous dedicated students of Powers' work. They appear in the materials referenced at the end of the presentation.

Feel free to forward this email to anyone you think may find this presentation of interest.

Best to all,

Dag

RWC Nov20 half page.pdf (80 Bytes)

Friends,

Most of you know that I have been a student and advocate of
Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) for 30 years. I am now scheduled to
present the introduction and overview I have worked on for some time.
(See attached announcement). To me, the wisdom available from PCT
runs deep, so I want to do what I can to share it. This is of course
a basic, rather brief introduction, featuring context I think
relevant for understanding.

As shown in the attached announcement, anyone can flip through my
slide presentation and read my prepared text. If you can't attend,
you just don't get my live presentation and verbal emphasis, nor can
you participate in the Q&A to follow.

Christine and I are leaving Sunday for a Hawaii cruise. I'll be
lecturing to the wind to practice. I'll also check email from time to
time, so comments and suggestions will be welcome. I do want my
presentation to be understandable, relevant and true to the history
and challenges this revolution has faced and still faces. Not
mentioned here will be contributions by numerous dedicated students
of Powers' work. They appear in the materials referenced at the end
of the presentation.

Feel free to forward this email to anyone you think may find this
presentation of interest.

Best to all,

Dag

RWC Nov20 half page.pdf (435 KB)

Dag,

I really respect your great work on PCT preservation and promotion, but what you are doing with your presentation is not helping to promote right PCT version. It’s DCT (Dag Control Theory). Sorry to notice that it’s not clear in your presentation where did you get diagram and explanations. Scientific argument would demand source right beside the picture (diagram), so that anybody could understand where your diagram is originating, Why didn’t you use original Bills diagram (for ex. LCS III) whch is quite fresh or at least from his last works where we can expect that Bill was quite sure about rightness of his theory.

I also miss some life examples how your diagram works in real life. Show us for example how your diagram function when you explain sleeping in PCT manner. Rick did it with excelency (one of hia bright PCT moments).

RM (earlier) : Sleeping is a tough one but I think it is controlling done by the autonomic nervous system that has the aim of keeping some intrinsic physiological variables in genetically determined reference states

HB earlier : Then I want you to explain behaviors with your model :

• forehand or backhand shot in tennis or table tennis, (you can use also forehand shot in Ricks’ game).

• throw of the basket-ball,

• sunbathing,

• sitting and thinking,

• walking, observing, talking, running and

• all other everyday behaviors that you can think of…

And again I’m asking myself if you are advocating PCT what’s wrong with Bills terminology (definitions) and diagrams ?

Why do you insist on promoting wrong PCT version if you’ve done so much for it’s existance.

image002109.jpg

PCT Definitions of control loop as the core part of Glossary in B:CP :

Bill P (B:CP):

1. CONTROL : Achievement and maintenance of a preselected state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances.

Bill P (B:CP):

1. OUTPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that converts the magnitude or state of a signal inside the system into a corresponding set of effects on the immediate environment of the system

Bill P (LCS III):…the output function shown in it’s own box represents the means this system has for causing changes in it’s environment.

Bill P (LCS III):

1. FEED-BACK FUNCTION : The box represents the set of physical laws, properties, arrangements, linkages, by which the action of this system feeds-back to affect its own input, the controlled variable. That’s what feed-back means : it’s an effect of a system’s output on it’s own input.

Bill P (B:CP) :

1. INPUT FUNCTION : The portion of a system that receives signals or stimuli from outside the system, and generates a perceptual signal that is some function of the received signals or stimuli.

1. COMPARATOR : The portion of control system that computes the magnitude and direction of mismatch between perceptual and reference signal.

Bill P (B:CP)

1. ERROR : The discrepancy between a perceptual signal and a reference signal, which drives a control system’s output function. The discrepancy between a controlled quantity and it’s present reference level, which causes observable behavior.

1. ERROR SIGNAL : A signal indicating the magnitude and direction of error.

Boris

···

-----Original Message-----

From: Dag Forssell (csgarchive@pctresources.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

Sent: Saturday, November 2, 2019 2:24 AM

To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu

Subject: Presentation, Perceptual Control Theory, PCT

Friends,

Most of you know that I have been a student and advocate of Perceptual Control Theory (PCT) for 30 years. I am now scheduled to present the introduction and overview I have worked on for some time.

(See attached announcement). To me, the wisdom available from PCT runs deep, so I want to do what I can to share it. This is of course a basic, rather brief introduction, featuring context I think relevant for understanding.

As shown in the attached announcement, anyone can flip through my slide presentation and read my prepared text. If you can’t attend, you just don’t get my live presentation and verbal emphasis, nor can you participate in the Q&A to follow.

Christine and I are leaving Sunday for a Hawaii cruise. I’ll be lecturing to the wind to practice. I’ll also check email from time to time, so comments and suggestions will be welcome. I do want my presentation to be understandable, relevant and true to the history and challenges this revolution has faced and still faces. Not mentioned here will be contributions by numerous dedicated students of Powers’ work. They appear in the materials referenced at the end of the presentation.

Feel free to forward this email to anyone you think may find this presentation of interest.

Best to all,

Dag

Hi Dag,

I wish you all the best with this and truly appreciate the effort you put into it.

Allie

···

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019, 7:24 PM Dag Forssell csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Friends,

slide presentation and read my prepared text. If you can’t attend,

you just don’t get my live presentation and verbal emphasis, nor can

Christine and I are leaving Sunday for a Hawaii cruise. I’ll be

lecturing to the wind to practice. I’ll also check email from time to

and challenges this revolution has faced and still faces. Not

mentioned here will be contributions by numerous dedicated students

of Powers’ work. They appear in the materials referenced at the end

of the presentation.

Feel free to forward this email to anyone you think may find this

presentation of interest.

Best to all,

Dag

Allie,

I agree with you that Dag deserves all respect for great work he done for PCT. But I’m asking myself what is going to be with PCT as theory about how orgsnisms function or as Martin wrote about “biological facts”. PCT needs proper understanding and further development. And phylosophy will not help.

Boris

···

temsgroupconference@gmail.com via csgnet Mailing List) csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2019 3:03 AM
To: Dag Forssell csgarchive@pctresources.com
Cc: csgnet csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: Presentation, Perceptual Control Theory, PCT

Hi Dag,

I wish you all the best with this and truly appreciate the effort you put into it.

Allie

On Fri, Nov 1, 2019, 7:24 PM Dag Forssell csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

Friends,

slide presentation and read my prepared text. If you can’t attend,
you just don’t get my live presentation and verbal emphasis, nor can

Christine and I are leaving Sunday for a Hawaii cruise. I’ll be
lecturing to the wind to practice. I’ll also check email from time to