Ramifications of collective control

Yes, that is indeed what you think.

1. two person cooperation and conflict: Kent’s 1993 model
  2. human crowd behavior: Bill’s Crowd demo, control of proximity and goal or leader
  3. avian flocking behavior: an adaptation of the crowd demo based on Reynolds (1987), control of proximity to others, like heading, and avoidance of periphery of flock is probably a better bet than “movement toward the center”. Another perhaps less obvious evolutionary advantage is a predatory raptor’s challenges picking an individual prey from what appears to behave as a single very large organism, and uncertainty how to accomplish it unscathed might be relevant: I have many times seen a few rather small birds harrying a hawk from their territories.
  4. geographical differences in how different groups pronounce phonemes: a preliminary, partial model with a number of assumptions and results which contradict the data.

This is a preliminary model of a more general tendency of pronunciations to converge which is often resisted for various reasons. It is not a model of Labov’s data. The data are about a previously inexplicable reversal of a sound change in the au diphthong that had been going on in the prior couple of generations, and not only reversed, but that change (the a becoming lower and more open) being generalized to the ai diphthong. The data include information about adolescents’ social identity and future life and work expectations. The change in pronunciation by adolescents was not correlated with who they most associated with, it was correlated with a choice of adult identity, irrespective of time in proximity.

SFAIK there has been no advance since this summary in November 2018:

To this I have added that while change in the community is typically rather slow, change in an individual can be quite rapid, as I witnessed when my oldest daughter lived with us for a relatively short time in Gloucester, Massachusetts.

Nothing after that.

Yes, to make a model you need data to model. To get beyond simplified models of simple social phenomena we have to deal with considerably more complex data and higher levels of the hierarchy.