Removed from csgnet

[From Dag Forssell (2014.09.22 09:45 PDT)]

Yesterday, just back from a cruise to Alaska (very interesting) I received this email from CSGnet:

···

=====================================================
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 17:32:16 -0500
To: ...@...
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Subject: Removed from csgnet

Your address (...@...) has been removed from list
csgnet@lists.illinois.edu, likely due to excessive
non-delivery reports for your address.

You can subscribe again:
mailto:lists@lists.illinois.edu?subject=sub%20csgnet

So I did, three hours after this message. Now I am a new user as of 9/21/2014.

The last CSGnet message I have received was posted just eight hours earlier:
[From Rupert Young (2014.09.21 15.00)] on Taros talk.

Have I missed any messages?

I have no reason to believe there were any non-deliveries to my account.

Have others received similar messages?

If this message was sent across the board, it sure would serve to purge our mailing list of inactive accounts, such as people who set "no mail" years ago.

This post will also serve as a test of my connection. I have set my account to receive my own postings. (Default seems to be not to -- "not me".

Best, Dag

[Martin Taylor 2014.09.22.13.08]

[From Dag Forssell (2014.09.22 09:45 PDT)]

Yesterday, just back from a cruise to Alaska (very interesting) I received this email from CSGnet:

Dag, your message arrived fine, and you didn't miss any messages (unless I also missed them.

Martin

[From Rick Marken (2014.09.22.1220)]

[From Dag Forssell <tel:%282014.09.22%2009>(2014.09.22 09:45 PDT)]

Sorry, it was I who deleted you (and several others) because I happened to by at the Admin site of the listserv and saw that several people on the list were marked "bounced". So I deleted those addresses assuming they were obsolete. I presume you, Dag, were able to get yourself back on. If you have any other trouble let me know and I'll get you back on the list if necessary.
Best
Rick

···

=====================================================
From: <mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu

<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>> csgnet@lists.illinois.edu, likely due to excessive

You can subscribe again:
mailto:lists@lists.illinois.edu>lists@lists.illinois.edu?subject=sub%20csgnet

[From Rupert Young (2014.09.21 15.00)] on Taros talk.

If this message was sent across the board, it sure would serve to purge our mailing list of inactive accounts, such as people who set "no mail" years ago.

This post will also serve as a test of my connection. I have set my account to receive my own postings. (Default seems to be not to -- "not me".

Best, Dag

--
Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.
Author of <Amazon.com Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

[From Dag Forssell <tel:%282014.09.22%2009>(2014.09.22 15:15 PDT)]

Rick,

Just be careful so I don't retaliate by deleting you next time.

While Gary Cziko is list owner, a few others were empowered from the beginning.
Bill, Rick, myself... (anyone else???)

Starting in 2001, I have been using my "list owner" account just to capture digests.
My thought was that while I capture individual posts with my second subscription account (this one) for the CSGnet archive, having digests might some day be of interest to researchers who would want to double-check if the record of individual posts has been tampered with (It has. I have deleted test messages and some spam). Recently, I have toyed with the idea of discontinuing this redundant accumulation.

I looked at and downloaded the subscriber list in November 2009 and again last January. There are people listed who set "no mail" years ago. Chances are their addresses are not the same now. I have thought that a useful exercise might be to send an email to everyone directly, using the CSGnet list, to find out which ones bounce as non-existent addresses. Then deleting their subscriptions the way you just did mine.

But this has never been of high priority. I have had better things to do than to clean up the CSGnet list.

Best, Dag

···

At 12:21 PM 9/22/2014, you wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2014.09.22.1220)]

[From Dag Forssell <tel:%282014.09.22%2009>(2014.09.22 09:45 PDT)]

Sorry, it was I who deleted you (and several others) because I happened to by at the Admin site of the listserv and saw that several people on the list were marked "bounced". So I deleted those addresses assuming they were obsolete. I presume you, Dag, were able to get yourself back on. If you have any other trouble let me know and I'll get you back on the list if necessary.�

Best�

Rick

�

From: <mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu

<mailto:csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>csgnet@lists.illinois.edu, likely due to excessive

You can subscribe again:
mailto:lists@lists.illinois.edu?subject=sub%20csgnet

[From Rupert Young (2014.09.21 15.00)]� on Taros talk.

Best, Dag

--
Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.
Author of� � <Amazon.com Research on Purpose.�
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble