Revolutionary PCT - John's Idea

[Richard Pfau: 09-25-2010; 11:00 PT]

John,

Your idea of assembling a collection of "essential PCT item statements" reminds me of one of the best known and read Buddhist texts called the "Dhammapada". This is a collection of verses one or two sentences long, many or most of which were presumably uttered by the Buddha - but perhaps written by others also. The verses are organized into chapters related to their various topics.

This book has been a basic reference, widely read, by those wishing to learn more and improve their thinking and behavior.

As a teaching/learning device, your idea seems like a good idea -- and the Buddhist variation of it has certainly helped many people. You would make a good contribution is you followed through on your idea, perhaps, if necessary for full coverage, with a co-author who is steeped in PVT.

With Regards,
Richard Pfau

I'm a seasoned teacher who's trying to gain an
understanding of the PCT landscape and it's dimensions.
Putting some of my experience of instructional design techniques into
practice I've thought about assembling a list of what could be called
'essential PCT item statements', as gleaned from the literature. From
my perspective an item-statement is a relatively short single notion
in

···

Hi John,

I agree entirely with Richard, however, I would like to see more than a list of propositions. Rather, how about a matrix that includes the similarities and differences between PCT and a model that represents its polar opposite. The tension between the two models would facilitate a form of force-field analysis, the resulting equilibrium of which would result in a third column which represents a balanced synthesis between the two models, that is, a form of balanced ternary logic (+1,0,-1).

All: In all honesty, I joined this listserv a few months ago to gain a better understanding of control theory, more specifically, stochastic control theory. You see, after creating a blueprint of Kintsch's Construction-Integration Model of text comprehension a few years ago, my intuition told me that stochastic oscillations (i.e., noise) influenced input signals to a resonant state or synchrony in the brain: Coherence resonance - Scholarpedia. The synchronization process is similar to phase locking and frequency entrainment in adjoined pendulum clocks (e.g., see Huygens' experiments), a mostly imperceptible process. Thus if I were applying my findings through the medium of this e-mail message, would you be able to perceive it? :slight_smile:

I also work as a program evaluator in PreK-12 education, a field influenced heavily by Bloom's Taxonomy which categorizes perception as the most basic aspect of the psychomotor domain. Indeed, Plato's analogy of the divided line also views perception of reality as the lowest level of knowledge. Thus, I am intrigued by the notion that levels of perception are so important in PCT. Is this because PCT defines perception differently relative to Bloom's Taxonomy. Either way the approach is still sophisticated anthropocentrism.

Speaking of control, I pose this question to all members of this listserv: Is the current attempt to control the environment just a reflection of the implicit perception that, as in A Few Good Men, we can't handle the truth of our own eventual disintegration?

Cheers,
Chad

Chad Green, PMP
Program Analyst
Loudoun County Public Schools
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148
Voice: 571-252-1486
Fax: 571-252-1633

"Richard H. Pfau" <richardpfau4153@AOL.COM> 9/25/2010 2:00 PM >>>

[Richard Pfau: 09-25-2010; 11:00 PT]

John,

Your idea of assembling a collection of "essential PCT item statements"
reminds me of one of the best known and read Buddhist texts called the
"Dhammapada". This is a collection of verses one or two sentences
long, many or most of which were presumably uttered by the Buddha - but
perhaps written by others also. The verses are organized into chapters
related to their various topics.

This book has been a basic reference, widely read, by those wishing to
learn more and improve their thinking and behavior.

As a teaching/learning device, your idea seems like a good idea -- and
the Buddhist variation of it has certainly helped many people. You
would make a good contribution is you followed through on your idea,
perhaps, if necessary for full coverage, with a co-author who is
steeped in PVT.

With Regards,
Richard Pfau

I'm a seasoned teacher who's trying to gain an
understanding of the PCT landscape and it's dimensions.
Putting some of my experience of instructional design techniques into
practice I've thought about assembling a list of what could be called
'essential PCT item statements', as gleaned from the literature. From
my perspective an item-statement is a relatively short single notion
in

···