Saccades as caused output

[From Vyv Huddy(1948.4.09.2016)]

VH: I’ve changed the title of this thread from the behavioural illusion as I was very interested in one comment Rick.

image00520.png

image00255.png

image00417.png

···

[From Rick Marken (2016.09.02.0930)]

RM: So you might find that a behavior is actually a non-illusory caused output (the saccade is apparently an example).

VH: Curious why you’d think saccades are caused output? In some situations saccades can be guided voluntarily; the delayed or anti saccade tasks explicitly instruct participants to move their eyes (e.g. in the anti saccade task looking
in the opposite direction a sudden stimulus). One can also choose to follow a target in smooth pursuit task either steadily or in a halting way that then requires so called catch up saccades. These task must involve
control via negative feedback? I’m not sure how the feedback would work? Proprioception of the
eye muscles perhaps? It turns out there are receptors in the eye that might do the job:

VH: I may be off track here as saccades can be extremly fast (> 100ms) so perhaps there isn’t time for feedback? I used to do eye movement research once upon a time and I hadn’t thought much of that in terms of PCT. Keen to learn more.

But the default assumption of PCT-based research is that behavior is the control of perceptual input; it is not caused, constrained, selected or programmed output.

Best

Rick

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Richard Marken
rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

[From Rick Marken (2016.09.01.1320)]

Fred Nickols (2016.09.01.1554 ET)]

FN: I really like your post below, Rick.

RM: Wow, that is so exciting Fred! Thanks. I think this is the first post of mine in weeks that anyone has liked!

FN: I also spotted something that I think might present a problem when explaining PCT to others. Here’s the snippet I pulled from your longer post below:

RM: So the “behavioral illusion” refers to the fact that when you observe the behavior of a closed loop control system – living or artificial – what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening.

FN: It’s the “what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening” that’s giving me pause. I think most people, especially some behaviorists I know, would snort or laugh
and say something like, “Don’t tell me I’m not seeing what I’m seeing.” I think a better way of saying what you’re driving at is to say, “How you explain or account for what you see, especially if you do so in cause-effect or stimulus-response terms, is very
different from the way those same observations are explained by control theory.

RM: Yes! Much better (and more correct) way of saying it! Thanks again Fred!

Best

Rick

More important, in light of control theory, those stimulus-response explanations are very misleading. In control theory, especially perceptual control theory (PCT), those misleading
explanations are referred to as “the behavioral illusion.”

FN: At least that’s the way it seems to me, Rick.

FN: Anyway, thanks again for this post. I like it – a lot.

Regards,

Fred Nickols, Consultant

My Objective is to Help You Achieve Yours

DISTANCE
CONSULTING LLC

“Assistance at a Distance”SM

Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2016 2:09 PM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Cc: Henry Yin
Subject: Re: The Behavioural Illusion and modelling

[From Rick Marken (2016.09.01.1110)]

cc: Henry Yin, because he understands the importance of the behavioral illusion and I’d like to hear what he thinks of this post.

Martin Taylor (2016.08.30.13.12)–

RM: This is a nice effort to explain the behavioral illusion but I’d like to give my own explanation. I’ll start by defining an illusion as an observation that is not what it appears to be. For example, here is an example of an optical
illusion:

RM: What you observe are two parallel vertical lines that bulge out in the middle. This is an illusion because we know, for other reasons (such as from measuring the distance between the lines at the top, middle and bottom) that there is
no bulge. Another illusion is the observation of a straight, rigid object, like a pencil, bending when placed in water, like so:

RM: Again, this is an illusion because we know, for other reasons (such as feeling along the pencil while it is immersed) that the object is not bent.

RM: Behavioral illusions are illusions in the same way these optical illusions are illusions: they are observations that are not what they appear to be. One example of a behavioral illusion is a “reflex”, such as the patellar of “knee
jerk” reflex:

RM: What you see is a hammer tap below the knee causing the lower leg to kick up. The hammer tap looks like a “stimulus” that is the cause of the knee jerk “response”. It looks like stimulus causes response. The stimulus-response appearance
of reflexes was not considered an illusion until it was shown to be, by other mean. The “other means” was PCT.

RM: The PCT analysis of the stimulus-response illusion starts by noting that behavior is a closed-loop control process organized around the control of the sensory effects of stimuli: controlled variables. When this loop is analyzed correctly
it can be shown (as Powers did in his 1978 Psych Review paper) that the observed causal relationship between stimulus and response is actually the inverse of the causal relationship between the response and the sensory effect of the stimulus; this relationship
is called the feedback function and the sensory effect of the stimulus is the controlled variable.

RM: So the “behavioral illusion” refers to the fact that when you observe the behavior of a closed loop control system – living or artificial – what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening. In the case of the stimulus-response
illusion, the actual causal connection from stimulus to response is “masked” by the fact that it occurs as part of a closed loop control process.

RM: There are actually three versions of the behavioral illusion, which are described in my “Blind Men and the Elephant” paper in “More Mind Readings”. Reflexes, like the patellar, are examples of the
stimulus-response illusion; operant behavior is an example of the reinforcement illusion; and the power law is an example of the
emitted output illusion (called the cognitive illusion in the paper).

RM: How “illusory” any of these behavioral illusions are depends on many factors. For example, the stimulus-response illusion is much more pronounced when the stimulus (disturbance to the controlled variable) is abrupt and strong rather
than gradual and weak (see “A Bucket of Beans” in LCS II); the emitted output illusion is more pronounced when there are no obvious disturbances to the controlled variable. These illusions are also more pronounced when the system under observation controls
well. A system that controls poorly will make only a very weak “response” to a “stimulus”(disturbance) that affects the variable it is controlling. So the stimulus will not give the appearance of causing the response and there will be a very weak stimulus-response
illusion.

RM: All behavioral illusions result from failure to understand the implications of the fact that one is observing at the behavior of a closed loop control system. It’s like looking at the bent pencil illusion above and not knowing the implications
of the fact that the pencil is partly in water. This analogy should make it clear why the behavioral illusion is so important. A researcher who doesn’t know that the refraction of light is different in water and air will start looking for explanations for
why the pencil is bent; a researcher who doesn’t know that a closed loop system acts to control its input will start looking for explanations of why stimuli cause responses, why reinforcement selects responses or how responses are emitted.

RM: The behavioral illusion is important because it shows that behavioral scientists have been studying the different flavors of the illusion – taking them for what is actually happening – for over 100 years.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for themselves.” – William T. Powers

Richard S. Marken

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for themselves.” – William T. Powers

Richard S. Marken

[From Rick Marken (2016.09.04.1325)]

image00417.png

image00520.png

image00255.png

···

Vyv Huddy(1948.4.09.2016)

RM: So you might find that a behavior is actually a non-illusory caused output (the saccade is apparently an example). Â

RM: It was just a sop I was throwing to the behaviorists in PCT clothing out there;-)Â

RM: Actually, I think the evidence is that the saccades that are involved in a change of fixation are ballistic in the sense that they are not controlled during movement from the current to the destination fixation point. So the movement itself is a computed (or commanded) output; it looks like commanded output (like the eye is being thrown from one place to another, with no control during the movement) and it is. So no illusion.Â

RM: Of course, these commanded outputs are nested within a control loop, that is controlling for the fixation point to end up at a particular point. So if, at the end of the saccade, the fixation point is not what was intended (it doesn’t match the “outer” control system’s reference for the new fixation point) there will be corrective action.Â

RM: Now that I think of it, another example of generated output being nested in a control loop is the random “tumbles” of the E. coli bacteria as it navigates to a food source. The tumbles are open-loop, generated outputs. These outputs are nested in a control system that is controlling for perceiving an increase in the concentration of nutrients. If the result of a ballistic tumble is that the bacterium is moving towards a nutrient – so that it perceives the concentration of nutrient is as increasing – then is delays making another tumble for a longer time that if it did not perceive and increase. My “selection of consequences” demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Select.html) shows that this E. coli method of navigation – a control loop that uses a ballistic output function – can work pretty well.Â

RM: Saccades and E. coli tumbles are examples of  behaviors that look open loop and, in fact are. So there is no “behavioral illusion” if one takes these behaviors to be open loop. But I think such behaviors are few and far between in living systems and, like the saccade and the E. coli tumble, they are probably always nested within control systems.Â

Best

Rick

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We
have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for
others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for
themselves.” – William T. Powers

VH: Curious why you’d think saccades are caused output?

In some situations saccades can be guided voluntarily; the delayed or anti saccade tasks explicitly instruct participants to move their eyes (e.g. in the anti saccade task looking
in the opposite direction a sudden stimulus). One can also choose to follow a target in smooth pursuit task either steadily or in a halting way that then requires so called catch up saccades. These task must  involve
control via negative feedback? I’m not sure how the feedback would work? Proprioception of the
eye muscles perhaps? It turns out there are receptors in the eye that might do the job:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1692902/

VH: I may be off track here as saccades can be extremly fast (> 100ms) so perhaps there isn’t time for feedback? I used to do eye movement research once upon a time and I hadn’t thought much of that in terms of PCT. Keen to learn more.Â

But the default assumption of PCT-based research is that behavior is the control of perceptual input; it is not caused, constrained, selected or programmed output.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Â

FN: I really like your post below, Rick.Â

RM: Wow, that is so exciting Fred! Thanks. I think this is the first post of mine in weeks that anyone has liked!Â

Â

FN: I also spotted something that I think might present a problem when explaining PCT to others. Here’s the snippet I pulled from your longer post below:

Â

RM: So the “behavioral illusion” refers to the fact that when you observe the behavior of a closed loop control system – living or artificial – what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening.Â

Â

FN: It’s the “what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening� that’s giving me pause. I think most people, especially some behaviorists I know, would snort or laugh
and say something like, “Don’t tell me I’m not seeing what I’m seeing.� I think a better way of saying what you’re driving at is to say, “How you explain or account for what you see, especially if you do so in cause-effect or stimulus-response terms, is very
different from the way those same observations are explained by control theory.Â

RM: Yes! Much better  (and more correct) way of saying it! Thanks again Fred!

BestÂ

Rick

Â

More important, in light of control theory, those stimulus-response explanations are very misleading. In control theory, especially perceptual control theory (PCT), those misleading
explanations are referred to as “the behavioral illusion.�

Â

Â

Â

FN: Anyway, thanks again for this post. I like it –“ a lot.

Â

Regards,

Â

Fred Nickols, Consultant

DISTANCE
CONSULTING LLC

“Assistance at a Distance�SM

Â

Â

Â

Â

Â

cc: Henry Yin, because he understands the importance of the behavioral illusion and I’d like to hear what he thinks of this post.

Â

Â

RM: This is a nice effort to explain the behavioral illusion but I’d like to give my own explanation. I’ll start by defining an illusion as an observation that is not what it appears to be. For example, here is an example of an optical
illusion:

Â

RM: What you observe are two parallel vertical lines that bulge out in the middle. This is an illusion because we know, for other reasons (such as from measuring the distance between the lines at the top, middle and bottom) that there is
no bulge. Another illusion is the observation of a straight, rigid object, like a pencil, bending when placed in water, like so:Â

Â

Â

RM: Again, this is an illusion because we know, for other reasons (such as feeling along the pencil while it is immersed) that the object is not bent.Â

Â

RM: Behavioral illusions are illusions in the same way these optical illusions are illusions: they are observations that are not what they appear to be. One example of a behavioral illusion is a “reflex”, such as the patellar  of “knee
jerk” reflex:

Â

Â

RM: What you see is a hammer tap below the knee causing the lower leg to kick up. The hammer tap looks like a “stimulus” that is the cause of the knee jerk “response”. It looks like stimulus causes response. The stimulus-response appearance
of reflexes was not considered an illusion until it was shown to be, by other mean. The “other means” was PCT.Â

Â

RM: The PCT analysis of the stimulus-response illusion starts by noting that behavior is a closed-loop control process organized around the control of the sensory effects of stimuli: controlled variables. When this loop is analyzed correctly
it can be shown (as Powers did in his 1978 Psych Review paper) that the observed causal relationship between stimulus and response is actually the inverse of the causal relationship between the response and the sensory effect of the stimulus; this relationship
is called the feedback function and the sensory effect of the stimulus is the controlled variable.Â

Â

RM: So the “behavioral illusion” refers to the fact that when you observe the behavior of a closed loop control system – living or artificial – what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening. In the case of the stimulus-response
illusion, the actual causal connection from  stimulus to response is “masked” by the fact that it occurs as part of a closed loop control process.Â

Â

RM: There are actually three versions of the behavioral illusion, which are described in my “Blind Men and the Elephant” paper in “More Mind Readings”. Reflexes, like the patellar, are examples of the
stimulus-response illusion; operant behavior is an example of the reinforcement illusion; and the power law is an example of the
emitted output illusion (called the cognitive illusion in the paper).Â

Â

RM: How “illusory” any of these behavioral illusions are depends on many factors. For example, the stimulus-response illusion is much more pronounced when the stimulus (disturbance to the controlled variable) is abrupt and strong rather
than gradual and weak (see “A Bucket of Beans” in LCS II); the emitted output illusion is more pronounced when there are no obvious disturbances to the controlled variable. These illusions are also more pronounced when the system under observation controls
well. A system that controls poorly will make only a very weak “response” to a “stimulus”(disturbance) that affects the variable it is controlling. So the stimulus will not give the appearance of causing the response and there will be a very weak stimulus-response
illusion.Â

Â

RM: All behavioral illusions result from failure to understand the implications of the fact that one is observing at the behavior of a closed loop control system. It’s like looking at the bent pencil illusion above and not knowing the implications
of the fact that the pencil is partly in water. This analogy should make it clear why the behavioral illusion is so important. A researcher who doesn’t know that the refraction of light is different in water and air will start looking for explanations for
why the pencil is bent; a researcher who doesn’t know that a closed loop system acts to control its input will start looking for explanations of why stimuli cause responses, why reinforcement selects responses or how responses are emitted.Â

Â

RM: The behavioral illusion is important because it shows that behavioral scientists have been studying the different flavors of the illusion – taking them for what is actually happening – for over 100 years. Â

Â

Best

Â

Rick

Â

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Richard S. MarkenÂ

Vyv Huddy(2225.0409.2016)

[From Rick Marken (2016.09.04.1325)]

VH: ah yes, I’ve now remembered that when people make errors on the antisaccade task the erroneous saccade goes all the way to the wrong target position. This is then followed by a corrective saccade the other way. So even when the task involves voluntary control
of eye movements the saccade itself is a ballistic process with it.

image00417.png

image00520.png

image00255.png

···

RM: Actually, I think the evidence is that the saccades that are involved in a change of fixation are ballistic in the sense that they are not controlled during movement from the current to the destination fixation point.

So the movement itself is a computed (or commanded) output; it looks like commanded output (like the eye is being thrown from one place to another, with no control during the movement) and it is. So no illusion.

RM: Of course, these commanded outputs are nested within a control loop, that is controlling for the fixation point to end up at a particular point. So if, at the end of the saccade, the fixation point is not what was intended (it doesn’t match the “outer”
control system’s reference for the new fixation point) there will be corrective action.

RM: Now that I think of it, another example of generated output being nested in a control loop is the random “tumbles” of the E. coli bacteria as it navigates to a food source. The tumbles are open-loop, generated outputs. These outputs are nested in a
control system that is controlling for perceiving an increase in the concentration of nutrients. If the result of a ballistic tumble is that the bacterium is moving towards a nutrient – so that it perceives the concentration of nutrient is as increasing –
then is delays making another tumble for a longer time that if it did not perceive and increase. My “selection of consequences” demo (http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/Select.html )
shows that this E. coli method of navigation – a control loop that uses a ballistic output function – can work pretty well.

RM: Saccades and E. coli tumbles are examples of behaviors that look open loop and, in fact are. So there is no “behavioral illusion” if one takes these behaviors to be open loop. But I think such behaviors are few and far between in living systems and,
like the saccade and the E. coli tumble, they are probably always nested within control systems.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

In some situations saccades can be guided voluntarily; the delayed or anti saccade tasks explicitly instruct participants to move their eyes (e.g. in the anti saccade task looking in the opposite direction
a sudden stimulus). One can also choose to follow a target in smooth pursuit task either steadily or in a halting way that then requires so called catch up saccades. These task must involve
control via negative feedback? I’m not sure how the feedback would work? Proprioception of the
eye muscles perhaps? It turns out there are receptors in the eye that might do the job:

VH: I may be off track here as saccades can be extremly fast (> 100ms) so perhaps there isn’t time for feedback? I used to do eye movement research once upon a time and I hadn’t thought much of that in terms of PCT. Keen to learn more.

But the default assumption of PCT-based research is that behavior is the control of perceptual input; it is not caused, constrained, selected or programmed output.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

RM: Wow, that is so exciting Fred! Thanks. I think this is the first post of mine in weeks that anyone has liked!

FN: I also spotted something that I think might present a problem when explaining PCT to others. Here’s the snippet I pulled from your longer post below:

RM: So the “behavioral illusion” refers to the fact that when you observe the behavior of a closed loop control system – living or artificial – what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening.

FN: It’s the “what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening” that’s giving me pause. I think most people, especially some behaviorists I know, would snort or laugh
and say something like, “Don’t tell me I’m not seeing what I’m seeing.” I think a better way of saying what you’re driving at is to say, “How you explain or account for what you see, especially if you do so in cause-effect or stimulus-response terms, is very
different from the way those same observations are explained by control theory.

Best

Rick

More important, in light of control theory, those stimulus-response explanations are very misleading. In control theory, especially perceptual control theory (PCT), those misleading
explanations are referred to as “the behavioral illusion.”

Regards,

Fred Nickols, Consultant

DISTANCE
CONSULTING LLC

RM: This is a nice effort to explain the behavioral illusion but I’d like to give my own explanation. I’ll start by defining an illusion as an observation that is not what it appears to be. For example, here is an example of an optical
illusion:

<image002.png>

no bulge. Another illusion is the observation of a straight, rigid object, like a pencil, bending when placed in water, like so:

<image004.png>

RM: Again, this is an illusion because we know, for other reasons (such as feeling along the pencil while it is immersed) that the object is not bent.

RM: Behavioral illusions are illusions in the same way these optical illusions are illusions: they are observations that are not what they appear to be. One example of a behavioral illusion is a “reflex”, such as the patellar of “knee
jerk” reflex:

<image005.png>

of reflexes was not considered an illusion until it was shown to be, by other mean. The “other means” was PCT.

is called the feedback function and the sensory effect of the stimulus is the controlled variable.

RM: So the “behavioral illusion” refers to the fact that when you observe the behavior of a closed loop control system – living or artificial – what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening. In the case of the stimulus-response
illusion, the actual causal connection from stimulus to response is “masked” by the fact that it occurs as part of a closed loop control process.

emitted output illusion (called the cognitive illusion in the paper).

than gradual and weak (see “A Bucket of Beans” in LCS II); the emitted output illusion is more pronounced when there are no obvious disturbances to the controlled variable. These illusions are also more pronounced when the system under observation controls
illusion.

of the fact that the pencil is partly in water. This analogy should make it clear why the behavioral illusion is so important. A researcher who doesn’t know that the refraction of light is different in water and air will start looking for explanations for
why the pencil is bent; a researcher who doesn’t know that a closed loop system acts to control its input will start looking for explanations of why stimuli cause responses, why reinforcement selects responses or how responses are emitted.

RM: The behavioral illusion is important because it shows that behavioral scientists have been studying the different flavors of the illusion – taking them for what is actually happening – for over 100 years.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

Richard S. Marken

RM : But the default assumption of PCT-based research is that behavior is the control of perceptual input; it is not caused, constrained, selected or programmed output.

HB : This is nonsense. Behavior is not control of perceptual input. BEHAVIOR IS NOT CONTROL !!!

image00255.png

Perceptual input is affected through effects of ouptut in outer environment among other effects that behavior has.

Bill P.:

CONTROL : Achievement and maintenance of a preselected perceptual state in the controlling system, through actions on the environment that also cancel the effects of disturbances.

HB : But you can see clearly from PCT diagram that behavior is the result of control of perception in comparator and is »driven« by »error« signal. So behavior is »Control of perception« in the sense that it is consequence of »Control of perception« inside organism

image00520.png

HB : Behavior has no control, so it can’t control perceptual input. I don’t know how many times do I have to repeat this. 100 x ??? As I said before. Usualy I tell people one or two times.

HB : Control is done in organism (Achievement and maintenance of a preselected perceptual state) through outer environment with behavioral effects, Muscles are just affecting outer environment (causing changes)nothing else.

Bill P : LCS III : The ouput function :

…the output function shown in it’s own box represents the means this system has for causing changes in it’s environment.

You have to prove it first that »behavior is control«. Where are you proofs ??? How many times more I’ll have to repeat this ??? What kind of LCS are you ?

Best,

Boris

image00417.png

image0037.png

image00353.jpg

···

Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2016 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: Saccades as caused output

[From Vyv Huddy(1948.4.09.2016)]

VH: I’ve changed the title of this thread from the behavioural illusion as I was very interested in one comment Rick.

[From Rick Marken (2016.09.02.0930)]

RM: So you might find that a behavior is actually a non-illusory caused output (the saccade is apparently an example).

VH: Curious why you’d think saccades are caused output? In some situations saccades can be guided voluntarily; the delayed or anti saccade tasks explicitly instruct participants to move their eyes (e.g. in the anti saccade task looking in the opposite direction a sudden stimulus). One can also choose to follow a target in smooth pursuit task either steadily or in a halting way that then requires so called catch up saccades. These task must involve control via negative feedback? I’m not sure how the feedback would work? Proprioception of the eye muscles perhaps? It turns out there are receptors in the eye that might do the job:

Best

Rick

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Richard Marken rsmarken@gmail.com wrote:

FN: It’s the “what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening” that’s giving me pause. I think most people, especially some behaviorists I know, would snort or laugh and say something like, “Don’t tell me I’m not seeing what I’m seeing.” I think a better way of saying what you’re driving at is to say, “How you explain or account for what you see, especially if you do so in cause-effect or stimulus-response terms, is very different from the way those same observations are explained by control theory.

Best

Rick

More important, in light of control theory, those stimulus-response explanations are very misleading. In control theory, especially perceptual control theory (PCT), those misleading explanations are referred to as “the behavioral illusion.”

Regards,

Fred Nickols, Consultant

DISTANCE CONSULTING LLC

RM: This is a nice effort to explain the behavioral illusion but I’d like to give my own explanation. I’ll start by defining an illusion as an observation that is not what it appears to be. For example, here is an example of an optical illusion:

Inline image 1

RM: What you observe are two parallel vertical lines that bulge out in the middle. This is an illusion because we know, for other reasons (such as from measuring the distance between the lines at the top, middle and bottom) that there is no bulge. Another illusion is the observation of a straight, rigid object, like a pencil, bending when placed in water, like so:

Inline image 1

RM: Behavioral illusions are illusions in the same way these optical illusions are illusions: they are observations that are not what they appear to be. One example of a behavioral illusion is a “reflex”, such as the patellar of “knee jerk” reflex:

Inline image 2

RM: What you see is a hammer tap below the knee causing the lower leg to kick up. The hammer tap looks like a “stimulus” that is the cause of the knee jerk “response”. It looks like stimulus causes response. The stimulus-response appearance of reflexes was not considered an illusion until it was shown to be, by other mean. The “other means” was PCT.

RM: The PCT analysis of the stimulus-response illusion starts by noting that behavior is a closed-loop control process organized around the control of the sensory effects of stimuli: controlled variables. When this loop is analyzed correctly it can be shown (as Powers did in his 1978 Psych Review paper) that the observed causal relationship between stimulus and response is actually the inverse of the causal relationship between the response and the sensory effect of the stimulus; this relationship is called the feedback function and the sensory effect of the stimulus is the controlled variable.

RM: So the “behavioral illusion” refers to the fact that when you observe the behavior of a closed loop control system – living or artificial – what you see is not necessarily what is actually happening. In the case of the stimulus-response illusion, the actual causal connection from stimulus to response is “masked” by the fact that it occurs as part of a closed loop control process.

RM: There are actually three versions of the behavioral illusion, which are described in my “Blind Men and the Elephant” paper in “More Mind Readings”. Reflexes, like the patellar, are examples of the stimulus-response illusion; operant behavior is an example of the reinforcement illusion; and the power law is an example of the emitted output illusion (called the cognitive illusion in the paper).

RM: How “illusory” any of these behavioral illusions are depends on many factors. For example, the stimulus-response illusion is much more pronounced when the stimulus (disturbance to the controlled variable) is abrupt and strong rather than gradual and weak (see “A Bucket of Beans” in LCS II); the emitted output illusion is more pronounced when there are no obvious disturbances to the controlled variable. These illusions are also more pronounced when the system under observation controls well. A system that controls poorly will make only a very weak “response” to a “stimulus”(disturbance) that affects the variable it is controlling. So the stimulus will not give the appearance of causing the response and there will be a very weak stimulus-response illusion.

RM: All behavioral illusions result from failure to understand the implications of the fact that one is observing at the behavior of a closed loop control system. It’s like looking at the bent pencil illusion above and not knowing the implications of the fact that the pencil is partly in water. This analogy should make it clear why the behavioral illusion is so important. A researcher who doesn’t know that the refraction of light is different in water and air will start looking for explanations for why the pencil is bent; a researcher who doesn’t know that a closed loop system acts to control its input will start looking for explanations of why stimuli cause responses, why reinforcement selects responses or how responses are emitted.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

Richard S. Marken

Richard S. Marken