same controlled variable?

[Vyv Huddy 1152 4.07.16]

I came across a video that superimposes all the penalties taken by the German football players in the shootout against Italy the other night (just been taken down from youtube because of copyright so I’ve put it into my dropbox).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x471dbpalr9w002/IMG_1950.MOV?dl=0

I wondered how we’d interpret this? As an example of various people controlling for the same thing? That is perceiving a sequence of a their moving foot to hitting a stationary ball?

All the best,

Vyv

[From Rick Marken (2016.07.04.1500)]

···

[Vyv Huddy 1152 4.07.16]

VH: I came across a video that superimposes all the penalties taken by the German football players in the shootout against Italy the other night (just been taken down from youtube because of copyright so I’ve put it into my dropbox).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x471dbpalr9w002/IMG_1950.MOV?dl=0

VH: I wondered how we’d interpret this? As an example of various people controlling for the same thing? That is perceiving a sequence of a their moving foot to hitting a stationary ball?

RM: It looks like several kicks superposed and it looks like about 6 or 7 shots got past the goalie. I’d interpret that as Germany running roughshod over Italy again (like they did when they sacked Rome;-).

RM: On a somewhat more serious note, I would say that the kickers are controlling for getting the ball into the net and the goalie is trying to prevent that. A true PCT analysis of this situation would be aimed at getting a detailed description of the perceptual variables controlled by kicker and goalie. The goalie is probably controlling for what all people control for when intercepting balls: the vertical optical velocity and horizontal optical displacement of the image of the soccer ball. But the ball is coming at him so fast he clearly can control for intercepting it all that well, which is clearly what the kicker is hoping will happen.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We
have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for
others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for
themselves.” – William T. Powers

[Vyv Huddy 908 5.07.16]

···

I was little hasty with the original post and question.

[From Rick Marken (2016.07.04.1500)]

A true PCT analysis of this situation would be aimed at getting a detailed description of the perceptual variables controlled by kicker and goalie.

VH: Of course. I guess I was wondering was what (if anything) can be learned from video that averages many peoples’ behaviour revealing points of consistency. I guess all the players had to kicked the ball as determined by the rules
(same goal) and there is no disturbance to the ball (no strong wind in the stadium moving the ball about). Behaviour highly consistent. I’m not sure
this is very enlightening … but hope the video was fun!

The goalie is probably controlling for what all people control for when intercepting balls: the vertical optical velocity and horizontal optical displacement
of the image of the soccer ball. But the ball is coming at him so fast he clearly can control for intercepting it all that well, which is clearly what the kicker is hoping will happen.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken

“The childhood of the human race is far from over. We have a long way to go before most people will understand that what they do for others is just as important to their well-being as what they do for themselves.” – William T. Powers