Sheepdog and flock behavior

[From Bruce Abbott (2014.08.30.0820 EDT)]

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by fitting both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices, allowing the researchers to track their movements. The research is presented in a BBC article at http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28936251 .

The researchers found that the behavior could be described by two simple rules, but more interesting from a PCT perspective, they found that to understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal’s perspectives. According to researcher Dr. Andrew King:

“At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out looking from a birds eye view, but then we realised we needed to see what the dog sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between them or the gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them together.”

According to Dr King, sheepdogs are making the most of the “selfish herd theory” to bring the animals close together and move them where they want.

“One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a threat by working with their neighbours. It’s the selfish herd theory: put something between the threat and you. Individuals try to minimise the chance of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of a group.”

The article continues as follows:

A colleague, Dr Daniel Strombom from Uppsala University in Sweden, used the GPS data from the collars to develop computer simulations. This enabled them to develop a mathematical shepherding model.

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs. It helps to solve what has been called the ‘the shepherding problem’: how one agent can control a large number of unwilling agents.

I’d be interested to know whether the computer algorithm models each individual’s control systems or operates by some other method.

Bruce

Bruce, thanks for sharing this article.

I’m chuckling because several times each year, including just yesterday, our college staff are given the task of trying to get our students to line up in some orderly fashion before filing into the gymnasium, whether for convocation or commencement ceremonies. We joke that it’s like herding cats! Now I wonder if we can change our behavior in order to get THEM to meet our goals. (Sounds like Trippples…)

I’d be interested in knowing how to access any of Dad’s work on crowd behavior…

Best,

*barb

···

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com wrote:

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by fitting both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices, allowing the researchers to track their movements. The research is presented in a BBC article at http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28936251 .

The researchers found that the behavior could be described by two simple rules, but more interesting from a PCT perspective, they found that to understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal’s perspectives. According to researcher Dr. Andrew King:

“At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out looking from a birds eye view, but then we realised we needed to see what the dog sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between them or the gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them together.”

According to Dr King, sheepdogs are making the most of the “selfish herd theory” to bring the animals close together and move them where they want.

“One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a threat by working with their neighbours. It’s the selfish herd theory: put something between the threat and you. Individuals try to minimise the chance of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of a group.”

A colleague, Dr Daniel Strombom from Uppsala University in Sweden, used the GPS data from the collars to develop computer simulations. This enabled them to develop a mathematical shepherding model.

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs. It helps to solve what has been called the ‘the shepherding problem’: how one agent can control a large number of unwilling agents.

I’d be interested to know whether the computer algorithm models each individual’s control systems or operates by some other method.

Bruce

[From Fred Nickols (2014.08.30.1010)]

Based only on what I read in your post, I don’t think the sheepdogs are making use of the selfish-herd theory. I doubt they know anything about that theory. In PCT terms, what I think is going on is that the dogs are controlling perceived distances between sheep and the sheep are controlling for a perceived sense of safety or negating of threat posed by the dog. Two different control systems, two different target variables. I’m no modeler but I’ll wager someone who is – and who is well versed in PCT – could create a model that replicates sheepdog and sheep behavior. It would be interesting at that point to compare the two computer models.

Fred (I can’t model) Nickols

···

Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:20 AM
To: CSGnet
Subject: Sheepdog and flock behavior

Bruce

[From Bruce Abbott
(2014.08.30.0820 EDT)]

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by
fitting both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices,
allowing the researchers to track their movements. The research is
presented in a BBC article at

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28936251

The researchers found that the behavior could be described by two simple
rules, but more interesting from a PCT perspective, they found that to
understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal�s
perspectives. According to researcher Dr. Andrew King:

“At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out
looking from a birds eye view, but then we realised we needed to see what
the dog sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between
them or the gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them
together.”

According to Dr King, sheepdogs are making the most of the “selfish
herd theory” to bring the animals close together and move them where
they want.

“One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a
threat by working with their neighbours. It’s the selfish herd theory:
put something between the threat and you. Individuals try to minimise the
chance of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of
a group.”

A colleague, Dr Daniel Strombom from Uppsala University in Sweden, used
the GPS data from the collars to develop computer simulations. This
enabled them to develop a mathematical shepherding model.

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs.
It helps to solve what has been called the ‘the shepherding problem’: how
one agent can control a large number of unwilling agents.

I�d be interested to know whether the computer algorithm models each
individual�s control systems or operates by some other method.

Bruce
[From Dag Forssell (2014.08.30.0730 PDT)]

Bruce, Barbara,

For Daniel Str�mbom’s coordinates, see

http://katalog.uu.se/empinfo/?id=N8-250

Would Matti Kolu want to contact him?

Barbara, what I have on the Crowd program is posted here:

http://www.livingcontrolsystems.com/demos/tutor_pct.html

Scroll down to the fifth and sixth entries.

Best, Dag

···

At 05:19 AM 8/30/2014, you wrote:

Of course, that makes perfect sense, Fred. It’s a great illustration of the fact that even if we appear to have controlled someone else, they are still perceiving the situation from their own point of view, and deciding to respond according to their own goals.

Â

In the end, when the sheep are finally penned, I wonder if the dogs are satisfied in meeting their goal of having moved the sheep, and the sheep now feel safe locked in a pen away from the dogs!

···

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Fred Nickols fred@nickols.us wrote:

[From Fred Nickols (2014.08.30.1010)]

Â

Based only on what I read in your post, I don’t think the sheepdogs are making use of the selfish-herd theory. I doubt they know anything about that theory. In PCT terms, what I think is going on is that the dogs are controlling perceived distances between sheep and the sheep are controlling for a perceived sense of safety or negating of threat posed by the dog. Two different control systems, two different target variables. I’m no modeler but I’ll wager someone who is – and who is well versed in PCT – could create a model that replicates sheepddog and sheep behavior. It would be interesting at that point to compare the two computer models.

Â

Â

Â

Â

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by fitting both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices, allowing the researchers to track their movements. The research is presented in a BBC article at http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28936251 .

Â

The researchers found that the behavior could be described by two simple rules, but more interesting from a PCT perspective, they found that to understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal’s perspectives. According to researcher Dr. Andrew King:

Â

Â

Â

Bruce

Excellent, thank you, Dag!

*barb

···

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Dag Forssell csgarchive@pctresources.com wrote:

[From Dag Forssell (2014.08.30.0730 PDT)]

Bruce, Barbara,

For Daniel Strömbom’s coordinates, see

http://katalog.uu.se/empinfo/?id=N8-250

Barbara, what I have on the Crowd program is posted here:

http://www.livingcontrolsystems.com/demos/tutor_pct.html

Best, Dag

[From Bruce Abbott
(2014.08.30.0820 EDT)]

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by
fitting both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices,
allowing the researchers to track their movements. The research is

understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal’s

“At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out
looking from a birds eye view, but then we realised we needed to see what
the dog sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between
them or the gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them
together.”

According to Dr King, sheepdogs are making the most of the “selfish
herd theory” to bring the animals close together and move them where
they want.

“One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a
threat by working with their neighbours. It’s the selfish herd theory:
put something between the threat and you. Individuals try to minimise the
chance of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of
a group.”

the GPS data from the collars to develop computer simulations. This
enabled them to develop a mathematical shepherding model.

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs.
It helps to solve what has been called the ‘the shepherding problem’: how
one agent can control a large number of unwilling agents.

I’d be interested to know whether the computer algorithm models each
individual’s control systems or operates by some other method.

Bruce

[From Bruce Abbott (2014.08.30.1050 EDT)]

Fred, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. All we modelers will need in order to create a PCT model is access to the data . . .

Bruce

···

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of Fred Nickols
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:15 AM
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: RE: Sheepdog and flock behavior

Fred Nickols (2014.08.30.1010)

Based only on what I read in your post, I don’t think the sheepdogs are making use of the selfish-herd theory. I doubt they know anything about that theory. In PCT terms, what I think is going on is that the dogs are controlling perceived distances between sheep and the sheep are controlling for a perceived sense of safety or negating of threat posed by the dog. Two different control systems, two different target variables. I’m no modeler but I’ll wager someone who is – and who is well versed in PCT – could create a model that replicates sheepdog and sheep behavior. It would be interesting at that point to compare the two computer models.

Bruce

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4745 / Virus Database: 4015/8124 - Release Date: 08/29/14

Version: 2014.0.4745 / Virus Database: 4015/8127 - Release Date: 08/30/14

[From Bruce Abbott (2014.08.30.1100 EDT)]

Thanks, Dag. Perhaps we can get access to the data used to create their model.

Daniel Strömbom describes his approach as follows:

My main research interest is in Collective Motion, that is, how animals move together. Think a flock of birds or a school of fish. For a broad general overview of collective motion see [1]. We use simulation (SPP-models) and mathematical analysis where possible to investigate proposed local rules of motion and their relation to the global dynamics of the group. Thus far I have been working on minimal attraction based models of collective motion.

. . . .

SHEPARDING A GROUP OF AUTONOMOUS AGENTS (PRELIMINARY)

Preliminary work indicates that by using a very simple intuative mechanism one shepard is enough to collect and drive a large number of autonomous agents to a given place. The sheparding problem has been investigated by many researchers in different ways, but a complete algorithm for collecting and driving where a solution is not put into the problem that can shepard more than a few dozen agents has not been reported as far as we know. Our approach relies on the shepard being able to estimate the position of the center of mass of the group of agents and the distace to the agent furthest away from it. The agents can be modeled in different ways. 1. The agents can also estimate the position of the center of mass of the group of agents and interact only via repulsion. 2. The agents interact locally via attraction/repulsion in a metric (2.1) or topological fashion (2.2).

On the surface, at least, this modeling approach seems very different from one guided by PCT.

Bruce

···

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of Dag Forssell
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Sheepdog and flock behavior

Dag Forssell (2014.08.30.0730 PDT) –

Bruce, Barbara,

For Daniel Strömbom’s coordinates, see http://katalog.uu.se/empinfo/?id=N8-250.

Barbara, what I have on the Crowd program is posted here: http://www.livingcontrolsystems.com/demos/tutor_pct.html

Best, Dag

Bruce

Hi Barb,

Living Control Systems III, Chapter 9: Demonstrations of Principles has a nice description of the Crowd demo right after the “Squaring the Circle� demo, and you can run the associated Demo 9-2, Crowd program that is available for download on the associated website.

My 2-year-old grandson is visiting for the holiday and keeping after him is like herding cats, even though he’s all by himself!

Best wishes,

Bruce

···

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of bara0361@gmail.com
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2014 9:48 AM

Bruce, thanks for sharing this article.

I’m chuckling because several times each year, including just yesterday, our college staff are given the task of trying to get our students to line up in some orderly fashion before filing into the gymnasium, whether for convocation or commencement ceremonies. We joke that it’s like herding cats! Now I wonder if we can change our behavior in order to get THEM to meet our goals. (Sounds like Trippples…)

I’d be interested in knowing how to access any of Dad’s work on crowd behavior…

Best,

*barb

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 6:19 AM, Bruce Abbott bbabbott@frontier.com wrote:

Bruce

Very cool to see the PCT insight on this. As for the ‘2 simple rules’ I think that’s a little off. Yes, the simple rules describe the conditions that the dog is working with: sheep cluster when they are uneasy.
The second one, push the sheep forward when they are together, may be an innate tendency in the dog, I don’t know. But if you’ve watched a sheep dog trial where there are dogs that are still learning the trade, you’ll see them get confused and go in the wrong
direction in response to the handler’s signals. I can’t remember whether I’ve ever seen one actually go away from the sheep mistakenly, but definitely I’ve seen them go left instead of right with the result that they are facing the sheep instead of behind
them which causes the sheep to scatter. So the learning process may involve both following the ‘2 rules’ and a variety of other learned and perhaps triggered innate behaviors (building on pack hunting behavior that involves circling, slinking, etc). Including
learning to work with the handler- a well-trained dog might disobey the handler when he/she is wrong. Then there are lots of other patterns besides “white fluffy things with gaps between them.” Dogs can cut a certain number of sheep from the flock and move
them through a gate, for example.

So just as traffic patterns can be predicted by algorithms that also apply to particles and waves, sheep herding can be predicted by algorithms that also apply to starlings and oil globules. Doesn’t mean that
everything the drivers or the dogs and sheep are doing and thinking is contained in those algorithms. Lots of other CSs and reference standards in play!

-Connie

Connie Cloak

C2:Alternative Services

758 Pine St.

Santa Rosa CA 95404

Office: 707/568-3783

Fax: 707/575-6866

connie@c2alts.net

Best

Ted

···

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu]
On Behalf Of Bruce Abbott
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2014 8:51 AM

[From Bruce Abbott (2014.08.30.1050 EDT)]

Fred, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. All we modelers will need in order to create a PCT model is access to the data . . .

Bruce

csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu]
On Behalf Of Fred Nickols
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:15 AM

Fred Nickols (2014.08.30.1010)

Based only on what I read in your post, I don’t think the sheepdogs are making use of the selfish-herd theory. I doubt they know anything about that theory. In PCT terms, what I think is going on is that the
dogs are controlling perceived distances between sheep and the sheep are controlling for a perceived sense of safety or negating of threat posed by the dog. Two different control systems, two different target variables. I’m no modeler but I’ll wager someone
who is – and who is well versed in PCT – could create a model that replicates sheepdog and sheep behavior. It would be interesting at that point to compare the two computer models.

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by fitting both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices, allowing the researchers to track their movements. The research is

The researchers found that the behavior could be described by two simple rules, but more interesting from a PCT perspective, they found that to understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the
animal’s perspectives. According to researcher Dr. Andrew King:

“At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out looking from a birds eye view, but then we realised
we needed to see what the dog sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between them or the gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them together.”

“One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a threat by working with their neighbours. It’s the selfish herd theory: put something between the threat and you.
Individuals try to minimise the chance of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of a group.”

A colleague, Dr Daniel Strombom from Uppsala University in Sweden, used the GPS data from the collars to develop computer simulations. This enabled them to develop a mathematical
shepherding model.

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs. It helps to solve what has been called the ‘the shepherding problem’: how one agent can control a large number
of unwilling agents.

Bruce

[From Rick Marken (2014.08.30.1820)]

···

RM: Great find, Bruce! There are two things that make this report particularly interesting to me. The first is the quote by Andrew King, which is a great description of the PCT approach to research. To paraphrase King: in order to understand the behavior of organisms you have to try to look at their behavior from the point of view of the organism (behaving system) Itself. I make this same point in the chapter on “Looking at Behavior through Control Theory Glasses” in “Doing Research on Purpose” (why hasn’t that become a best seller yet?). I do it in the section on trying to understand the apparent “fixed action pattern” of the greylag goose. The goose is seen to continue to make the movements that would pull an egg back into its nest even when the egg is no longer present. Looking at an organism’s behavior from the organism’s perspective helps you come up with good ideas about what perceptual variables the organism is controlling (the first step in the Test for the Controlled Variable). By looking at the goose’s egg rolling behavior from the goose’s perspective I was able to come up with the hypothesis that the goose is trying to control the pressure of the egg against the back of its bill and when the egg is removed the continued efforts to move the non-existent egg into the nest (the apparent fixed action pattern) is just the efforts of the pressure control system to restore the pressure of the egg against the back of the bill. By looking at the sheepdogs herding behavior from the dogs’ perspective King came up with the reasonable hypothesis that the dogs were controlling their perception of the gaps between patches of white (the sheep), trying to keep those gaps at zero.

RM: The other thing that’s interesting about this report is that the dogs were clearly controlling their perception of the gaps by controlling the behavior of the sheep. And they did this by becoming a disturbance to a perception that the sheep control by getting closer to other sheep: the perception of safety. So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs’ “gap” control system and the sheep’s safety control system. Such a simulation would show that control systems can both control and be controlled. This kind of simulation would help dispel what I think is a common misconception about the control theory model of organisms – particularly humans. It is a misconception that I myself labored under until just a few years ago. It is the idea that because organisms are autonomous control systems – autonomous in the sense that they set their own references for the states of their own perception – they cannot be controlled. But autonomous control systems can be controlled, as is demonstrated by the sheepdogs controlling the sheep. It can also be easily demonstrated with humans using the rubber band demo; the E in this experiment can control the finger position of the S once S has agreed to control the position of the knot. And thanks to Bruce Abbott I demonstrated to myself that E can still exert this control even if S continuously – and autonomously – varies his or her reference for the position of the knot.

RM: Control theory doesn’t say that organisms (particularly humans) can’t be controlled; indeed, it shows that they can be controlled, mainly by disturbance to a controlled variable. Nor does control theory show that controlling organisms (particularly humans) is necessarily a bad thing to do. What control theory does show is that arbitrary control, particularly of humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to conflict. Arbitrary control is exerting control without considering the fact that living control systems are controlling many variables at the same time and when you arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing a controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things they are controlling. So to take an example that Bill used (somewhere), if E decides to place S’s finger against a hot soldering iron while controlling Ss finger position in the rubber band game that will clearly lconflict with another goal S has (not getting burned). Non-arbitrary control is control that is done with the consent (often implicit but sometimes explicit) of the would-be controllee. Non- arbitrary control is, I think, essential when humans control other humans. To see why, think about what happens when people are arbitrarily controlled (herded) in the same way that the sheep were. Hint: They don’t like it. Why do you think not?

RM: Anyway, this behavior – managing flocks – is a very interesting demonstration of controlling a perception (of gaps between sheep) via disturbance of a perception being controlled by the control systems that are being controlled.

Best

Rick

Bruce

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.
Author of Doing Research on Purpose.
Now available from Amazon or Barnes & Noble

Hi Rick,

Sorry for the delay.

RM: Great find, Bruce! There are two things that make this report particularly interesting to me. The first is the quote by Andrew King, which is a great description of the PCT approach to research. To paraphrase King: in order to understand the behavior of organisms you have to try to look at their behavior from the point of view of the organism (behaving system) Itself. I make this same point in the chapter on “Looking at Behavior through Control Theory Glasses” in “Doing Research on Purpose” (why hasn’t that become a best seller yet?). I do it in the section on trying to understand the apparent “fixed action pattern” of the greylag goose. The goose is seen to continue to make the movements that would pull an egg back into its nest even when the egg is no longer present.

HB : Interesting. Ashby described an experiment with “duckling”. Lloyd Morgan raised some ducklings in incubator. Each morning at 9 o’clock a large tray was placed in their pen and flat tin containing water. To this they eagerly ran, drinking and washing in it. On the 6th morning the tray and tin were given them in the usual way, but without any water. Ducklings ran into it, scoped at the bottom and made all the motions as there is water. They drink it, squatted in it, dipping their heads and wangling their tails as usual. For some ten minutes they continued to do in non-exiastant water…", it seemd that there was no feed-back (maybe only in imagination). The next day experiment was repeated with the dry tin. Again ducklings ran to it, doing everything like there was water. But they soon gave up. On the third morning they waddled up to the dry tin and departed.

RM : Looking at an organism’s behavior from the organism’s perspective helps you come up with good ideas about what perceptual variables the organism is controlling (the first step in the Test for the Controlled Variable).

HB : Controlling which variables : inside or outside organism ? And I’d rather say “Test for the controlled perception”.

RM : By looking at the goose’s egg rolling behavior from the goose’s perspective I was able to come up with the hypothesis that the goose is trying to control the pressure of the egg against the back of its bill and when the egg is removed the continued efforts to move the non-existent egg into the nest (the apparent fixed action pattern) is just the efforts of the pressure control system to restore the pressure of the egg against the back of the bill.

HB : Well I’m not sure, I understand clearly. But in duckling case, it seems that they were “controlling in imagination”

RM : By looking at the sheepdogs herding behavior from the dogs’ perspective King came up with the reasonable hypothesis that the dogs were controlling their perception of the gaps between patches of white (the sheep), trying to keep those gaps at zero.

HB : Agree…J. Why don’t you try the same resoning from the sheeps perspective ? What they are controlling ?

RM: The other thing that’s interesting about this report is that the dogs were clearly controlling their perception of the gaps by controlling the behavior of the sheep. And they did this by becoming a disturbance to a perception that the sheep control by getting closer to other sheep: the perception of safety.

HB : I don’t think that dogs were controlling gaps by »controlling sheeps behavior«. Sheeps were controlling their behavior on the bases of disturbances dog produced to sheep perceptual control.

RM : So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs’ “gap” control system and the sheep’s safety control system. Such a simulation would show that control systems can both control and be controlled.

HB : Well this is a good idea to make simultaneous simulation. Did you try it ?

But this is the n-th time that we are trying to solve the problem how LCS can be “controlled”. In the book : Making sense of behavior Bill talks about “attempts of control” not “control”. I think that whether “controler” is succesfull in his attempts of control, depends much more from “controlee”. Whatever human behavior is, I assume is just disturbance to others perrceptions and cause some “error” in hierarchy or not. It can probably also minimize some “errors” or cause no change. Other is up to “controlled LCS” what he will do with “errors” caused by “controller”. So I’d say that Bill was right talking about “attempts of control”. Whether control is succesfull, mostly “controlle” will decide. There are probably extreme cases, when LCS can’t decide much about being or not being controlled (animal in the cage, human in prison….).

I think it’s most important how much controlee will agree to be controlled. Probably depends how much “error” and on which level of perception is disturbed. I’d rather say that “control of others” depends from how much people alove to be controlled as they are giving the reference, not “controller”.

Maybe Kent could explain what’s wrong with your position about »LCS can be controlled". He explained »strategies of interpersonal control« very clearly and understandable. Generally all forms of strategies of inetrpersonal control starts like this :

A … strategy of interpersonal control … on B by acting to create DISTURBANCE…to B’s controlled ed perception….

O.K. some thoughts from Kent’s work :

1.  …one's next problem (from a PCT viewpoint) is to create a disturbance large enough to get the other party to readjust his or her reference levels. 

2.  Each of these common strategies of interpersonal control can be defined precisely in PCT terms, and the definitions reveal the inherent limitations of all of our attempts to control other people's behavior.

3.  Even when people choose to obey, they remain in control of their own perceptions. 

4.  Coercion is a more efficient strategy of interpersonal control than force, because it requires less energy to achieve the same goal of disrupting the victim's perceptual control, but coercion, like force, has many limitations.

5.  This examination of strategies interpersonal control from a PCT standpoint supports the claim that our attempts to exert power over other people are sometimes "paradoxical".

6.  Whatever the strategy employed, it seems that control of a person's perceptions always remains with the person, and thus that no person can achieve direct control of another's behavior. 

7.  All of the other strategies we have examined--coercion, incentives, and influence--rely on the compliance of the person supposedly under control and are ineffective if target person so chooses.

It’s somehow obvious that A behavior can only cause disturbances to B’s controlled perception. The emphasis is on »disturbance« to perceptual ccontrol of others. Whatever people do they can just more or less effective disturb each other control.

So maybe you have nothing to loose if you read some of his discourses or talk to him. Afterall he is leading PCT sociologist. Maybe he can explain to you to understand clearly relationships between LCS and who controls who.Â

RM : This kind of simulation would help dispel what I think is a common misconception about the control theory model of organisms – particularly humans. It is a misconception that I myself labored under until just a few years ago. It is the idea that because organisms are autonomous control systems – autonomous in the sense that they set their own references for the states of their own perception – they cannot be controlled.

HB : Agree…J

RM : But autonomous control systems can be controlled, as is demonstrated by the sheepdogs controlling the sheep.

HB : I don’t see that sheeps are being controlled. Sheeps as you said control for safety and I could add mostly for food (grass). And dogs control for whatever you said. Their actions for their different goals maybe seemed to be coordinated (and it seems like sheeps are being controlled. doing what dogs wants in certian moments), but in the matter of fact I think that dogs are just a temporare distrubance to sheeps wanted perception of eating grass and mostly dogs are not preventing that. Even when sheeps are controling for safety, they control for the »error«, dogs created. Dog.is just disturbance that caused »error«. Sheeps probably wants only to eat grass in peace and if they are eating it with no gaps, there is no conflict and dog leave it as it is. If they are eating it separately, dog make disturbance to gather them together so that sheeps can continue eating grass. But I don’t see that sheeps would make any significant change in references so that it could be said that sheeps are being controlled to eat grass or their safety is controlled by dog. So I think that they both reach their goals (sheepdog and sheeps). I don’t see that their goals are conflicting (maybe temporarely) when sheeps are not together. If dog would stand between the grass and sheeps (ram) than I’m sure situation would be different, bacasue there would be a conflict.

RM : It can also be easily demonstrated with humans using the rubber band demo; the E in this experiment can control the finger position of the S once S has agreed to control the position of the knot.

HB : Yes. Watch your wording in rubber band demo. “Once S has agreed” or as Kent said “S chooses”. . So it’s obviously that S agreed to be controlled. It’s not that E is controling S from the begining as he wants, but he “attempts to control” and S agreed. So the most important thing I see here is that S agreed to be controlled and he can stay in »controlled« position as long as he wants, but he can change his mind whenever he wants “not to be controlled”. S decides that not E. So E isn’t controlling anything, except for his goals. He just makes disturbances to S’s perception, and S decides how he will treat those disturbances. In every cycle of the control loop, S can choose to »exit« from the E’s control loop. I suppose E makes disturbance (probably some words) to S perception and he can hope that S will do as E wants. Control loop of E through S is not entirely “controlled” by E to say he has everything under “control”. It depends mostly form S in the loop.Â

RM : And thanks to Bruce Abbott I demonstrated to myself that E can still exert this control even if S continuously – and autonomously – varies his or her reference for the position of the knot.

HB : Again as you said. If S agrees. S in every loop decides whether he will continue »to be controled«, whether he wants to play more. All the time E “controls” only by condition that S agrees. E is just disturbing perception of S, but when S have enough, E can’t do anything about, unless frightening S with the gun (making perceptual error on most important variables S controls). And if S is not afraid what than. E will shoot him ? For not playing a game ? It’s not so easy to “control” living beings. Can you describe me one case from your life when you controled somebody by disturbing someone’s »controlled variable«, and when you’ve been controlled. Do you think that students in school are controlled ? Did you as a teacher, had impression that you controlled them ?

RM: Control theory doesn’t say that organisms (particularly humans) can’t be controlled; indeed, it shows that they can be controlled, mainly by disturbance to a controlled variable.

HB : Aplying distrubance to a »controlled variable« does not mean that control is established. It seems that Kent and I agree that disturbances are aplyed to perceptual control and target person chooses.Â

We don’t know how disturbances will affect person, intended to be »controlled« so we can’t say automatically that aplying disturbance to »controlled variable« shows how we achieve control. Did you tried it in everyday life ? Disturbances to »controlled variable« can cause »errors«, or maybe it causes nothing. Or maybe intended »controlled« person just ignored disturbamce. By aplying disturbances to »controlled variable« doesn’t mean that you start to controll a person. As Kent said, it can be inneffective if person chooses so. Whether person will be controlled or not depends on »controlled« person and how will he reorganize to treat »errors«…

RM : Nor does control theory show that controlling organisms (particularly humans) is necessarily a bad thing to do.

HB : Now you are exaggerating Rick. You can’t control organisms. I’d really like to see how you are doing that in everyday life ? It’s very complicated and very rare possibility to control other orgaanisms. That’s the most unprobable attempt of control. Organisms are controlled inside by genes and other physiological processes and its’ really hard and responsable to intervine into those process, like genetic engeneering. So controlling organisms is usualy not a good thing. It’s a hard question whether “control involvement” in organism is exusable or right or not right. Very sleepery terain.

RM : What control theory does show is that arbitrary control, particularly of humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to conflict. Arbitrary control is exerting control without considering the fact that living control systems are controlling many variables at the same time and when you arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing a controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things they are controlling.

HB : It makes some sense, but I don’t understand what you meant by »arbitrary control« ? When somebody arbitrary decide to »control somebody« by disturbing »controlled variable«. I hope that you understaood that disturbance is just a beggining of problem of »control«. And I think it would be good to change “controlled variable” to “controlled pareception” as you can also disturb some »inner variable«, which are really controlled all the time. »Variables« in outer environment are controlled selectively from time to time, when efectors (behavior) are »turned on«. So in general PCT model there is no »controlled variable« in external environment, as it’s not necesary there is any.

RM : So to take an example that Bill used (somewhere), if E decides to place S’s finger against a hot soldering iron while controlling Ss finger position in the rubber band game that will clearly lconflict with another goal S has (not getting burned). Non-arbitrary control is control that is done with the consent (often implicit but sometimes explicit) of the would-be controllee. Non- arbitrary control is, I think, essential when humans control other humans. To see why, think about what happens when people are arbitrarily controlled (herded) in the same way that the sheep were. Hint: They don’t like it. Why do you think not?

HB: I still don’t understand your »non-arbitrary« or »arbitrary« control. Again Rick. Behavior is just an attempt of control, a disturbance to other person, and control stays at »target person«. In most situations controllee controlls what controller wants (done via disturbances) if controlee decides so. So “controlee” decides how he will treat disturbances from E. Maybe you are looking on the whole problem to behavioristicaly. Concluding only from behavior of LCS in some situation.

If you are thinking like this one : »Controlle behavior match my wanted perception of behvior and thus it is »controlled« it’s wrong. You have PCT which helps you understand what’s happening inside organisms. Human control and behavior are quite unpredictable, because the references are formed inside organism, where most of control is done. Just observable »facts« of behavioral event are not prove that people control each other. Although it’s not excluded. The controller’s behavior is just a disturbance to controlee perceptual control. From what happens in controlee comparator (error) will probably decide whether controlee behavior will resemble to something controller wanted or not. But never behavior of controlee will be just exact »copy« of controller’s wanted behavior, because controlee is in control.

RM: Anyway, this behavior – managing flocks – is a very interesting demonstration of controlling a perception (of gaps between sheep) via disturbance of a perception being controlled by the control systems that are being controlled.

HB: This one makes some PCT sense. J

But as usual I’m living space for not understanding something right. And as always, sorry for my language.

Best,

Boris

···

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Marken
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:23 AM

RM: Great find, Bruce! There are two things that make this report particularly interesting to me. The first is the quote by Andrew King, which is a great description of the PCT approach to research. To paraphrase King: in order to understand the behavior of organisms you have to try to look at their behavior from the point of view of the organism (behaving system) Itself. I make this same point in the chapter on “Looking at Behavior through Control Theory Glasses” in “Doing Research on Purpose” (why hasn’t that become a best seller yet?). I do it in the section on trying to understand the apparent “fixed action pattern” of the greylag goose. The goose is seen to continue to make the movements that would pull an egg back into its nest even when the egg is no longer present. Looking at an organism’s behavior from the organism’s perspective helps you come up with good ideas about what perceptual variables the organism is controlling (the first step in the Test for the Controlled Variable). By looking at the goose’s egg rolling behavior from the goose’s perspective I was able to come up with the hypothesis that the goose is trying to control the pressure of the egg against the back of its bill and when the egg is removed the continued efforts to move the non-existent egg into the nest (the apparent fixed action pattern) is just the efforts of the pressure control system to restore the pressure of the egg against the back of the bill. By looking at the sheepdogs herding behavior from the dogs’ perspective King came up with the reasonable hypothesis that the dogs were controlling their perception of the gaps between patches of white (the sheep), trying to keep those gaps at zero.

RM: The other thing that’s interesting about this report is that the dogs were clearly controlling their perception of the gaps by controlling the behavior of the sheep. And they did this by becoming a disturbance to a perception that the sheep control by getting closer to other sheep: the perception of safety. So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs’ “gap” control system and the sheep’s safety control system. Such a simulation would show that control systems can both control and be controlled. This kind of simulation would help dispel what I think is a common misconception about the control theory model of organisms – particularly humans. It is a misconception that I myself labored under until just a few years ago. It is the idea that because organisms are autonomous control systems – autonomous in the sense that they set their own references for the states of their own perception – they cannot be controlled. But autonomous control systems can be controlled, as is demonstrated by the sheepdogs controlling the sheep. It can also be easily demonstrated with humans using the rubber band demo; the E in this experiment can control the finger position of the S once S has agreed to control the position of the knot. And thanks to Bruce Abbott I demonstrated to myself that E can still exert this control even if S continuously – and autonomously – varies his or her reference for the position of the knot.

RM: Control theory doesn’t say that organisms (particularly humans) can’t be controlled; indeed, it shows that they can be controlled, mainly by disturbance to a controlled variable. Nor does control theory show that controlling organisms (particularly humans) is necessarily a bad thing to do. What control theory does show is that arbitrary control, particularly of humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to conflict. Arbitrary control is exerting control without considering the fact that living control systems are controlling many variables at the same time and when you arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing a controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things they are controlling. So to take an example that Bill used (somewhere), if E decides to place S’s finger against a hot soldering iron while controlling Ss finger position in the rubber band game that will clearly lconflict with another goal S has (not getting burned). Non-arbitrary control is control that is done with the consent (often implicit but sometimes explicit) of the would-be controllee. Non- arbitrary control is, I think, essential when humans control other humans. To see why, think about what happens when people are arbitrarily controlled (herded) in the same way that the sheep were. Hint: They don’t like it. Why do you think not?

Best

Rick

Bruce

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

[From Rick Marken (2014.09.07.1100)]

···

boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

BH : I don’t think that dogs were controlling gaps by »controlling sheeps behavior«. Sheeps were controlling their behavior on the bases of disturbances dog produced to sheep perceptual control.

RM: Yes, the sheep were controlling a perception (I called it safety) to which the approach of the dog was a disturbance. The sheep compensated for this disturbance by moving closer to other sheep. This is the behavior that the dog wanted to see (were controlling for) because it closed the gaps that were a disturbance to the perception the dog was controlling. So the dog was able to control the behavior of the sheep, getting them to bunch closer together, because the sheep were controlling for safety by bunching together.

RM : So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs’ “gap” control system and the sheep’s safety control system. Such a simulation would show that control systems can both control and be controlled.

BH : Well this is a good idea to make simultaneous simulation. Did you try it ?

RM: Not yet.

BH: But this is the n-th time that we are trying to solve the problem how LCS can be “controlled”. In the book : Making sense of behavior Bill talks about “attempts of control” not “control”…

BH: Maybe Kent could explain what’s wrong with your position about »LCS can be controlled".

RM: Yes, I think that’s a good idea, though I would be surprised if Kent thought that there is something wrong with my “position”. My position is simply that people can clearly control the behavior other people and their own behavior can be controlled as well. This is an observable fact that is explained by PCT. I leave the explanation as an exercise.

RM : It can also be easily demonstrated with humans using the rubber band demo; the E in this experiment can control the finger position of the S once S has agreed to control the position of the knot.

BH : Yes. Watch your wording in rubber band demo. “Once S has agreed” or as Kent said “S chooses”. . So it’s obviously that S agreed to be controlled.

RM: Not quite. S has agreed to control a particular perception (the location of the knot relative to the dot, in this case). S has not agreed to be controlled; indeed, S is typically unaware of being controlled after agreeing to control that perception.

HB : Aplying distrubance to a »controlled variable« does not mean that control is established. It seems that Kent and I agree that disturbances are aplyed to perceptual control and target person chooses.

RM: I would be interested to hear what Kent has to say about that. I would be very surprised if he agreed with your analysis.

RM : Nor does control theory show that controlling organisms (particularly humans) is necessarily a bad thing to do.

BH : Now you are exaggerating Rick. You can’t control organisms. I’d really like to see how you are doing that in everyday life ?

RM: One example: When I give a cashier $10 for a $5 item I am controlling for the cashier giving me $5 change. The cashier is also controlling for me paying $5 for the item. Typically, we both get the behaviors from each other than we want: a nice example of mutual control, and no one gets hurt (or oppressed). This kind of agreed on mutual control is the basis of civilization.

RM : What control theory does show is that arbitrary control, particularly of humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to conflict. Arbitrary control is exerting control without considering the fact that living control systems are controlling many variables at the same time and when you arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing a controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things they are controlling.

HB : It makes some sense, but I don’t understand what you meant by »arbitrary control« ?

RM: It means controlling without taking a persons wants and needs (the references for the many different perceptions that the person is controlling for) into account. In non-PCT terms, it is controlling another person without respecting that person’s humanity (and autonomy).

BH: If you are thinking like this one : »Controlle behavior match my wanted perception of behvior and thus it is »controlled« it’s wrong.

RM: That’s exactly how I am thinking. And I think you are wrong about this being wrong.

BH: You have PCT which helps you understand what’s happening inside organisms. Human control and behavior are quite unpredictable, because the references are formed inside organism, where most of control is done.

RM: Once you have correctly identified a controlled variable behavior (the actions that protect that variable from disturbance) can be predicted with very high accuracy. See the “Basic Control demo” at http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/BasicTrack.html to see what I mean.

BH: Just observable »facts« of behavioral event are not prove that people control each other. Although it’s not excluded. The controller’s behavior is just a disturbance to controlee perceptual control. From what happens in controlee comparator (error) will probably decide whether controlee behavior will resemble to something controller wanted or not. But never behavior of controlee will be just exact »copy« of controller’s wanted behavior, because controlee is in control.

RM: It may not be an “exact” copy of what the controller wants, but it can be very close (like within 1% of the desired value).

BH: This one makes some PCT sense. J

RM: Well, that’s progress!

Best

Rick

But as usual I’m living space for not understanding something right. And as always, sorry for my language.

Best,

Boris

From: csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu [mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Marken

Best

Rick

Bruce

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

[From Kent McClelland (2014.09.07.2050)

Rick Marken (2014.09.07.1100)] in response to Boris Hartman

Hi, Rick and Boris. I hope you're both doing well. I see that my name has come up in this exchange, so I'll see if I can say anything to help move it along. As I look at what you've written, I don't see much in either person's position to disagree with, but you seem to be at an impasse. The difficulty seems to be semantic, revolving around what it means to control another person's behavior, which Rick says can be done and Boris says can't. In my view, you're both partly right.

KM: The problem, as I see it, is that a person's behavior (or that of any living control system with hierarchical control of perceptions) is never just one thing. A person controls lots of different perceptions simultaneously, at different perceptual levels. And when a person observes another person's physical actions, the observer can see "behaviors" at a lot of different perceptual levels.

KM: A person acting as a subject in the classic PCT rubber-band experiment, for instance, can be observed to be bending a finger so as to keep the rubber band in place, moving the hand and arm in a pattern that tends to mirror the movements of the "experimenter's" hand, sitting in a chair (perhaps), making motions with the face that (perhaps) indicate a grimace or smile or some other expression, holding the head in position to see the rubber band, leaning on the table (perhaps) with the other hand or elbow, breathing, holding the rubber band's knot over the dot, participating in the rubber band experiment, and no doubt lots of other things depending on the observer's acuity of observation and frames of reference.

KM: All of these "behaviors" are under the person's control, in the sense that the person could change them if he or she chose to do so, though many of them may not be in the person's conscious awareness at any given moment. And some of the behaviors are probably not in direct control, in the sense that disturbances to these actions might not be resisted, because they are simply the means for controlling the person's highest-priority perception of the moment, which is making sure the dot stays over the knot.

KM: Because a person controls lots of different things at once, under the right circumstances another person can control SOME of these behaviors (as the controller perceives them), but not ALL of them, at least not all of them simultaneously. The trick in controlling a particular behavior by another person (call it behavior A) is to get the person to focus on controlling behavior B, and then to remove all the other ways for the person to keep controlling behavior B except by doing behavior A.

KM: That's the classic pattern for manipulation of a person's behavior. In the rubber-band experiment, for example, the experimenter can make the subject trace some geometric pattern of hand motions (behavior A) by providing the right disturbances, because if the subject wants to keep the knot over the dot (behavior B) the only means of doing so, given those disturbances and the set-up of the experiment, is to make the hand pattern (behavior A).

KM: It's also the classic pattern of coercion: "Do what I tell you (behavior A), or else you won't be able to continue to perceive that your mother is still alive (behavior B)."

KM: The pattern also applies to the dog and sheep example. The sheep cluster together and move in the desired direction (behavior A), because they want to perceive themselves as safe from an attack by that nasty predator sheepdog (behavior B), which is a higher priority perception for them, at least temporarily, than perceiving themselves to be munching on nicest and juiciest tufts of grass (behavior C). (The really interesting question of control here is how the shepherd is controlling the sheepdog�what set of perceptions is that dog controlling?)

KM: Thus, the control of one person's behavior by another person can and does happen, but it is always partial control, at the most, and the controlled person always retains control of some perceptions (like perhaps the perception that the controller is a jerk). As soon as the person stops controlling behavior B or finds another way to control it that doesn't involve behavior A, the attempt to control fails.

RM: One example: When I give a cashier $10 for a $5 item I am controlling for the cashier giving me $5 change. The cashier is also controlling for me paying $5 for the item. Typically, we both get the behaviors from each other than we want: a nice example of mutual control, and no one gets hurt (or oppressed). This kind of agreed on mutual control is the basis of civilization.

KM: Martin Taylor, in the chapter he's writing for the LCS IV book edited by Warren Mansell (a preliminary draft of which I've been lucky enough to see), calls this kind of exchange transaction a "protocol," and, if I understand his concept correctly, protocols provide a way for two people acting together to control two different perceptions. The side-effects of one person's behavior in controlling his or her own perception allow the other person to control a different perception (and vice-versa). In your example, the cashier controls the perception of completing a sale by getting your money and giving you the item and $5 change, while you control the perception of buying the item by handing over the money and getting the item and change back.

KM: I don't think I would describe this exchange situation as control of another person's behavior unless you were buying the item from someone who had a monopoly, and the only way for you to get the item (behavior B) would be to pay the asking price (behavior A). Even then, you could refuse to buy the item or just get something else, unless the item were something you couldn't live without.

Hope these thoughts help you to clarify the questions you were discussing.

Best,

Kent

···

On Sep 7, 2014, at 12:54 PM, Richard Marken wrote:

<boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:

BH : I don't think that dogs were controlling gaps by �controlling sheeps behavior�. Sheeps were controlling their behavior on the bases of disturbances dog produced to sheep perceptual control.

RM: Yes, the sheep were controlling a perception (I called it safety) to which the approach of the dog was a disturbance. The sheep compensated for this disturbance by moving closer to other sheep. This is the behavior that the dog wanted to see (were controlling for) because it closed the gaps that were a disturbance to the perception the dog was controlling. So the dog was able to control the behavior of the sheep, getting them to bunch closer together, because the sheep were controlling for safety by bunching together.

RM : So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs' "gap" control system and the sheep's safety control system. Such a simulation would show that control systems can both control and _be_ controlled.

BH: But this is the n-th time that we are trying to solve the problem how LCS can be "controlled". In the book : Making sense of behavior Bill talks about "attempts of control" not "control"...

BH: Maybe Kent could explain what's wrong with your position about �LCS can be controlled".

RM: Yes, I think that's a good idea, though I would be surprised if Kent thought that there is something wrong with my "position". My position is simply that people can clearly control the behavior other people and their own behavior can be controlled as well. This is an observable fact that is explained by PCT. I leave the explanation as an exercise.

BH : Yes. Watch your wording in rubber band demo. "Once S has agreed" or as Kent said "S chooses". . So it's obviously that S agreed to be controlled.

RM: Not quite. S has agreed to control a particular perception (the location of the knot relative to the dot, in this case). S has not agreed to be controlled; indeed, S is typically unaware of being controlled after agreeing to control that perception.

HB : Aplying distrubance to a �controlled variable� does not mean that control is established. It seems that Kent and I agree that disturbances are aplyed to perceptual control and target person chooses.

RM: I would be interested to hear what Kent has to say about that. I would be very surprised if he agreed with your analysis.

BH : Now you are exaggerating Rick. You can't control organisms. I'd really like to see how you are doing that in everyday life ?

HB : It makes some sense, but I don't understand what you meant by �arbitrary control� ?

RM: It means controlling without taking a persons wants and needs (the references for the many different perceptions that the person is controlling for) into account. In non-PCT terms, it is controlling another person without respecting that person's humanity (and autonomy).

BH: If you are thinking like this one : �Controlle behavior match my wanted perception of behvior and thus it is �controlled� it's wrong.

RM: That's exactly how I am thinking. And I think you are wrong about this being wrong.

BH: You have PCT which helps you understand what's happening inside organisms. Human control and behavior are quite unpredictable, because the references are formed inside organism, where most of control is done.

RM: Once you have correctly identified a controlled variable behavior (the actions that protect that variable from disturbance) can be predicted with very high accuracy. See the "Basic Control demo" at Nature of Control to see what I mean.

BH: Just observable �facts� of behavioral event are not prove that people control each other. Although it's not excluded. The controller's behavior is just a disturbance to controlee perceptual control. From what happens in controlee comparator (error) will probably decide whether controlee behavior will resemble to something controller wanted or not. But never behavior of controlee will be just exact �copy� of controller's wanted behavior, because controlee is in control.

RM: It may not be an "exact" copy of what the controller wants, but it can be very close (like within 1% of the desired value).

RM: Anyway, this behavior -- managing flocks -- is a very interesting demonstration of controlling a perception (of gaps between sheep) via disturbance of a perception being controlled by the control systems that are being controlled.

RM: Well, that's progress!

Best

Rick

But as usual I'm living space for not understanding something right. And as always, sorry for my language.

Best,

Boris

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by fitting both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices, allowing the researchers to track their movements. The research is presented in a BBC article at 'Two simple rules' explain sheepdog behaviour - BBC News .

RM: Great find, Bruce! There are two things that make this report particularly interesting to me. The first is the quote by Andrew King, which is a great description of the PCT approach to research. To paraphrase King: in order to understand the behavior of organisms you have to try to look at their behavior from the point of view of the organism (behaving system) Itself. I make this same point in the chapter on "Looking at Behavior through Control Theory Glasses" in "Doing Research on Purpose" (why hasn't that become a best seller yet?). I do it in the section on trying to understand the apparent "fixed action pattern" of the greylag goose. The goose is seen to continue to make the movements that would pull an egg back into its nest even when the egg is no longer present. Looking at an organism's behavior from the organism's perspective helps you come up with good ideas about what perceptual variables the organism is controlling (the first step in the Test for the Controlled Variable). By looking at the goose's egg rolling behavior from the goose's perspective I was able to come up with the hypothesis that the goose is trying to control the pressure of the egg against the back of its bill and when the egg is removed the continued efforts to move the non-existent egg into the nest (the apparent fixed action pattern) is just the efforts of the pressure control system to restore the pressure of the egg against the back of the bill. By looking at the sheepdogs herding behavior from the dogs' perspective King came up with the reasonable hypothesis that the dogs were controlling their perception of the gaps between patches of white (the sheep), trying to keep those gaps at zero.

RM: The other thing that's interesting about this report is that the dogs were clearly controlling their perception of the gaps by controlling the behavior of the sheep. And they did this by becoming a disturbance to a perception that the sheep control by getting closer to other sheep: the perception of safety. So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs' "gap" control system and the sheep's safety control system. Such a simulation would show that control systems can both control and _be_ controlled. This kind of simulation would help dispel what I think is a common misconception about the control theory model of organisms -- particularly humans. It is a misconception that I myself labored under until just a few years ago. It is the idea that because organisms are autonomous control systems -- autonomous in the sense that they set their own references for the states of their own perception -- they cannot be controlled. But autonomous control systems can be controlled, as is demonstrated by the sheepdogs controlling the sheep. It can also be easily demonstrated with humans using the rubber band demo; the E in this experiment can control the finger position of the S once S has agreed to control the position of the knot. And thanks to Bruce Abbott I demonstrated to myself that E can still exert this control even if S continuously -- and autonomously -- varies his or her reference for the position of the knot.

RM: Control theory doesn't say that organisms (particularly humans) can't be controlled; indeed, it shows that they can be controlled, mainly by disturbance to a controlled variable. Nor does control theory show that controlling organisms (particularly humans) is necessarily a bad thing to do. What control theory does show is that arbitrary control, particularly of humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to conflict. Arbitrary control is exerting control without considering the fact that living control systems are controlling many variables at the same time and when you arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing a controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things they are controlling. So to take an example that Bill used (somewhere), if E decides to place S's finger against a hot soldering iron while controlling Ss finger position in the rubber band game that will clearly lconflict with another goal S has (not getting burned). Non-arbitrary control is control that is done with the consent (often implicit but sometimes explicit) of the would-be controllee. Non- arbitrary control is, I think, essential when humans control other humans. To see why, think about what happens when people are arbitrarily controlled (herded) in the same way that the sheep were. Hint: They don't like it. Why do you think not?

RM: Anyway, this behavior -- managing flocks -- is a very interesting demonstration of controlling a perception (of gaps between sheep) via disturbance of a perception being controlled by the control systems that are being controlled.

Best

Rick

The researchers found that the behavior could be described by two simple rules, but more interesting from a PCT perspective, they found that to understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal�s perspectives. According to researcher Dr. Andrew King:

"At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out looking from a birds eye view, but then we realised we needed to see what the dog sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between them or the gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them together."

According to Dr King, sheepdogs are making the most of the "selfish herd theory" to bring the animals close together and move them where they want.

"One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a threat by working with their neighbours. It's the selfish herd theory: put something between the threat and you. Individuals try to minimise the chance of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of a group."

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs. It helps to solve what has been called the 'the shepherding problem': how one agent can control a large number of unwilling agents.

I�d be interested to know whether the computer algorithm models each individual�s control systems or operates by some other method.

Bruce

--

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

--
Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

Rick,

I’ll not answer you this time because you arranged your answers with omitting half of my text, accomocating my arguments, writing sentences with »double meaning« and so on. In short you manipulated. I’d rather see your superb discussion on the level you performed once about »controlled variables« with real PCT terminology. It was amazing. If I’m sincere i have expected some kind of that discussion.

But as Martin advised you once. Sleep it over and think again.

But just for exercise you can maybe solve the problem why are you writing to CSGnet forum for many decades, persuading people to beleive you. And yet I see no result. How that can be if people are so easy to control just by applyin distrubances to »controlled variable« in outer environment.

By your imagined »picture« of »interperosnal control«, you should be applying disturbances to »controlled variables« of people on CSGnet (their oppinion) and you already control them. It seems to fit your definition. Â

I really don’t understand how can we with applying distrubances to »controlled variables« in external environment have others »under control as that seems to be your defintion of »interpersonal control« :

RM :

Control theory doesn’t say that organisms (particularly humans) can’t be controlled; indeed, it shows that they can be controlled, mainly by disturbance to a controlled variable.

HB :

Did I missed something. I indeed never saw somebody who  persuaded somebody (by applying disturbances to controlled variable) to say that somebody  started to control somebody in the sense to change somebody’s oppinion  " mainly by disturbance to a controlled variable«.

I saw you using many kinds of »strategies of interpersonal control« like insulting, humbling people, attempts of moving them away, but also crticizing,praizing …, but I never saw you succeded in perfect control as you describe it (within 1%)…I doubt that ever anybody succed in any kind of »interperosnal control« within 1% in everyday life.

So  show me how can you with applying disturbances to others oppinion (controlled variable) on CSGnet immediately overtake their control of their oppinion to change their oppinion into yours ? As that seems to be your defintion of »control of others«. Did i get it right ?

I’m also looking forward to see somebody who will  let us know that your »efforts« on CSGnet were succesfull in the ssense that you managed to control somebody »within 1% of the desired value«. I’d really like to see that. I hope you’ll surprise me.

Best,

Boris

P.S. I’ll continue discussion with Kent, so you can join us there if you wish…J

···

Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2014 7:54 PM

BH : I don’t think that dogs were controlling gaps by »controlling sheeps behavior«. Sheeps were controlling their behavior on the bases of disturbances dog produced to sheep perceptual control.

BH: But this is the n-th time that we are trying to solve the problem how LCS can be “controlled”. In the book : Making sense of behavior Bill talks about “attempts of control” not “control”…

BH: Maybe Kent could explain what’s wrong with your position about »LCS can be controlled".

RM: Yes, I think that’s a good idea, though I would be surprised if Kent thought that there is something wrong with my “position”. My position is simply that people can clearly control the behavior other people and their own behavior can be controlled as well. This is an observable fact that is explained by PCT. I leave the explanation as an exercise.

BH : Yes. Watch your wording in rubber band demo. “Once S has agreed” or as Kent said “S chooses”. . So it’s obviously that S agreed to be controlled.

HB : Aplying distrubance to a »controlled variable« does not mean that control is established. It seems that Kent and I agree that disturbances are aplyed to perceptual control and target person chooses.

BH : Now you are exaggerating Rick. You can’t control organisms. I’d really like to see how you are doing that in everyday life ?

HB : It makes some sense, but I don’t understand what you meant by »arbitrary control« ?

RM: It means controlling without taking a persons wants and needs (the references for the many different perceptions that the person is controlling for) into account. In non-PCT terms, it is controlling another person without respecting that person’s humanity (and autonomy).

BH: If you are thinking like this one : »Controlle behavior match my wanted perception of behvior and thus it is »controlled« it’s wrong.

RM: That’s exactly how I am thinking. And I think you are wrong about this being wrong.

BH: You have PCT which helps you understand what’s happening inside organisms. Human control and behavior are quite unpredictable, because the references are formed inside organism, where most of control is done.

RM: Once you have correctly identified a controlled variable behavior (the actions that protect that variable from disturbance) can be predicted with very high accuracy. See the “Basic Control demo” at http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/BasicTrack.html to see what I mean.

BH: Just observable »facts« of behavioral event are not prove that people control each other. Although it’s not excluded. The controller’s behavior is just a disturbance to controlee perceptual control. From what happens in controlee comparator (error) will probably decide whether controlee behavior will resemble to something controller wanted or not. But never behavior of controlee will be just exact »copy« of controller’s wanted behavior, because controlee is in control.

RM: It may not be an “exact” copy of what the controller wants, but it can be very close (like within 1% of the desired value).

Best

Rick

Best,

Boris

Best

Rick

Bruce

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

Thanks Kent,

for your explanation. It was very educational. :). But as I see it
discussion between me and Rick was quite partial not so general, so I
thought that we could maybe put it on general level..

But for the whole (general) discussion about possibilities of "controlling
each other" I have all the time in my mind your thoughts about possible
pricniples of "control of other people behavior" or as you call it
"interpersonal control". Your language somehow easily express what I think.
The starting points are :

KM :
1. Whatever the strategy employed, it seems that control of a person's
perceptions always remains with the person, and thus that no person can
achieve direct control of another's behavior.
2. Even when people choose to obey, they remain in control of their own
perceptions.
3. ....(from a PCT viewpoint) is to create a disturbance large enough to get
the other party to readjust his or her reference levels.
4. ...when a person observes another person's physical actions, the observer
can see "behaviors" at a lot of different perceptual levels.

I took just thoughts for which I could find physioogical evidence.

HB :
I think that the most what people can do to another people is to make them
as you wrote "readjust" the reference level, so other people can not
normally directly access to direct control of another behavior.

So PCT by my oppinion reveals the inherent limitations of all of our
attempts to control other people's behavior. We have to understand how
organisms work to understand how references are producced and how they can
be "readjusted" by environment. But all that can be done only inside
organism.

Because I think that behavior can be treated just as disturbance to another
person's control, I can't imagine how references for behavior can be set
from outside (others behavior) so that we can say that other people are
controlled. One way is to imagine "force" which another person with intended
"strategies of interpersonal control" try to influence others. So I can
imagine how people can probably be "induced" to change references. But I can
imagine only of few kind of human behavior that could "cause" different
"production" of references in other's behavior, so to control organisms
control of references. One is "genetical engineering", behavior which can
produce new internal standards for references in organisms, because in basic
organisms functional references are genetically set.

The main point of PCT as I see it, is that organisms produce references and
"adjust" it through perceptual signal through social or physical
environment. So it's difficult to imagine how people can create references
in other person's organism. I think that always only person (Living Control
System) in control can. I think that mostly people control their lives by
"adjusting" and "readjusting" their references. But they can be produced
only inside organisms.

So other people can apply behaviors that can "lower" the intensity of
disturbances to someone's perceptual control (help them for easier control)
or make such a disturbances that increase the intensity of disturbances to
other people control (obstruct their control). But people can not ever
"overtake" the control of other people behavior in the course of thinking
with some principles that you proposed.

So I think that people can limit control of others, or put "degrees of
freedom to zero" or apply other disturbances which could differently affect
other person's perceptual control, but by my oppinion they can never control
them in normal everyday circumstances, as they can't ever access to others
direct production of references in the sense that they could overtake the
control of others behavior. For that they would need to set the reference
for behavior from outside and that is "forbidden in PCT" as far as I
understand. And I think that's the problem with 11th level when somebody can
think it as suitable to set reference to that level from outside for example
social environment. But Bill as far as i know never allowed that. Although
it seems that references on that level could come from environment (physical
or social). But only organism as a whole with reference self-production can
take care of self-existance.

As I suggested "genetic engineering" can be one way of intervention into
organic structure of organisms , maybe also electric shock, some chemical
substances, surgery....). But even in these cases "disturbances" produced
inside organism has to use organisms potentials for reference "production".

Sheepdogs are controiling whatever they control and sheeps are controlling
what ever they control inside organism. Their control can interfear. But
control always stays at the Living Control Systems (as you pointed out)
which have to survive with physiological processes inside producing their
references. So if we are looking people arround they succesfully control
whatever they are controlling in all "directions" following their goals
which "grow inside" organism.

And when "gosammer threads" as you describe people interaction intersect,
than some changes in references and control loop can happen, because "mix"
disturbances (as you one's called them) can affect perceptual control and
thus also "readjustment" of references by organism in control. But I don't
see how "production" of reference signals can be "induced" with other
behavior.

So as I see it references can not be set from outside (only in rare cases)
and also not control. They are always set inside the organism with included
inside and outside disturbances to internal organisms control. And if
references can not be set in other organism, how can LCS be controlled with
behavior of others ? It sems that only organsim itself can make behavior
"match" to "controller" wishes.

Best,

Boris

···

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of McClelland, Kent
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 3:54 AM
To: <csgnet@lists.illinois.edu>

Hi, Rick and Boris. I hope you're both doing well. I see that my name has
come up in this exchange, so I'll see if I can say anything to help move it
along. As I look at what you've written, I don't see much in either person's
position to disagree with, but you seem to be at an impasse. The difficulty
seems to be semantic, revolving around what it means to control another
person's behavior, which Rick says can be done and Boris says can't. In my
view, you're both partly right.

KM: The problem, as I see it, is that a person's behavior (or that of any
living control system with hierarchical control of perceptions) is never
just one thing. A person controls lots of different perceptions
simultaneously, at different perceptual levels. And when a person observes
another person's physical actions, the observer can see "behaviors" at a lot
of different perceptual levels.

KM: A person acting as a subject in the classic PCT rubber-band experiment,
for instance, can be observed to be bending a finger so as to keep the
rubber band in place, moving the hand and arm in a pattern that tends to
mirror the movements of the "experimenter's" hand, sitting in a chair
(perhaps), making motions with the face that (perhaps) indicate a grimace or
smile or some other expression, holding the head in position to see the
rubber band, leaning on the table (perhaps) with the other hand or elbow,
breathing, holding the rubber band's knot over the dot, participating in the
rubber band experiment, and no doubt lots of other things depending on the
observer's acuity of observation and frames of reference.

KM: All of these "behaviors" are under the person's control, in the sense
that the person could change them if he or she chose to do so, though many
of them may not be in the person's conscious awareness at any given moment.
And some of the behaviors are probably not in direct control, in the sense
that disturbances to these actions might not be resisted, because they are
simply the means for controlling the person's highest-priority perception of
the moment, which is making sure the dot stays over the knot.

KM: Because a person controls lots of different things at once, under the
right circumstances another person can control SOME of these behaviors (as
the controller perceives them), but not ALL of them, at least not all of
them simultaneously. The trick in controlling a particular behavior by
another person (call it behavior A) is to get the person to focus on
controlling behavior B, and then to remove all the other ways for the person
to keep controlling behavior B except by doing behavior A.

KM: That's the classic pattern for manipulation of a person's behavior. In
the rubber-band experiment, for example, the experimenter can make the
subject trace some geometric pattern of hand motions (behavior A) by
providing the right disturbances, because if the subject wants to keep the
knot over the dot (behavior B) the only means of doing so, given those
disturbances and the set-up of the experiment, is to make the hand pattern
(behavior A).

KM: It's also the classic pattern of coercion: "Do what I tell you (behavior
A), or else you won't be able to continue to perceive that your mother is
still alive (behavior B)."

KM: The pattern also applies to the dog and sheep example. The sheep cluster
together and move in the desired direction (behavior A), because they want
to perceive themselves as safe from an attack by that nasty predator
sheepdog (behavior B), which is a higher priority perception for them, at
least temporarily, than perceiving themselves to be munching on nicest and
juiciest tufts of grass (behavior C). (The really interesting question of
control here is how the shepherd is controlling the sheepdog-what set of
perceptions is that dog controlling?)

KM: Thus, the control of one person's behavior by another person can and
does happen, but it is always partial control, at the most, and the
controlled person always retains control of some perceptions (like perhaps
the perception that the controller is a jerk). As soon as the person stops
controlling behavior B or finds another way to control it that doesn't
involve behavior A, the attempt to control fails.

RM: One example: When I give a cashier $10 for a $5 item I am controlling

for the cashier giving me $5 change. The cashier is also controlling for me
paying $5 for the item. Typically, we both get the behaviors from each other
than we want: a nice example of mutual control, and no one gets hurt (or
oppressed). This kind of agreed on mutual control is the basis of
civilization.

KM: Martin Taylor, in the chapter he's writing for the LCS IV book edited by
Warren Mansell (a preliminary draft of which I've been lucky enough to see),
calls this kind of exchange transaction a "protocol," and, if I understand
his concept correctly, protocols provide a way for two people acting
together to control two different perceptions. The side-effects of one
person's behavior in controlling his or her own perception allow the other
person to control a different perception (and vice-versa). In your example,
the cashier controls the perception of completing a sale by getting your
money and giving you the item and $5 change, while you control the
perception of buying the item by handing over the money and getting the item
and change back.

KM: I don't think I would describe this exchange situation as control of
another person's behavior unless you were buying the item from someone who
had a monopoly, and the only way for you to get the item (behavior B) would
be to pay the asking price (behavior A). Even then, you could refuse to buy
the item or just get something else, unless the item were something you
couldn't live without.

Best,

Kent

<boris.hartman@masicom.net> wrote:

BH : I don't think that dogs were controlling gaps by >controlling sheeps

behavior<. Sheeps were controlling their behavior on the bases of
disturbances dog produced to sheep perceptual control.

RM: Yes, the sheep were controlling a perception (I called it safety) to

which the approach of the dog was a disturbance. The sheep compensated for
this disturbance by moving closer to other sheep. This is the behavior that
the dog wanted to see (were controlling for) because it closed the gaps that
were a disturbance to the perception the dog was controlling. So the dog was
able to control the behavior of the sheep, getting them to bunch closer
together, because the sheep were controlling for safety by bunching
together.

RM : So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs' "gap"

control system and the sheep's safety control system. Such a simulation
would show that control systems can both control and _be_ controlled.

BH : Well this is a good idea to make simultaneous simulation. Did you try

it ?

BH: But this is the n-th time that we are trying to solve the problem how

LCS can be "controlled". In the book : Making sense of behavior Bill talks
about "attempts of control" not "control"...

BH: Maybe Kent could explain what's wrong with your position about >LCS

can be controlled".

RM: Yes, I think that's a good idea, though I would be surprised if Kent

thought that there is something wrong with my "position". My position is
simply that people can clearly control the behavior other people and their
own behavior can be controlled as well. This is an observable fact that is
explained by PCT. I leave the explanation as an exercise.

RM : It can also be easily demonstrated with humans using the rubber band

demo; the E in this experiment can control the finger position of the S once
S has agreed to control the position of the knot.

BH : Yes. Watch your wording in rubber band demo. "Once S has agreed" or

as Kent said "S chooses". . So it's obviously that S agreed to be
controlled.

RM: Not quite. S has agreed to control a particular perception (the

location of the knot relative to the dot, in this case). S has not agreed
to be controlled; indeed, S is typically unaware of being controlled after
agreeing to control that perception.

HB : Aplying distrubance to a >controlled variable< does not mean that

control is established. It seems that Kent and I agree that disturbances are
aplyed to perceptual control and target person chooses.

RM: I would be interested to hear what Kent has to say about that. I would

be very surprised if he agreed with your analysis.

RM : Nor does control theory show that controlling organisms (particularly

humans) is necessarily a bad thing to do.

BH : Now you are exaggerating Rick. You can't control organisms. I'd

really like to see how you are doing that in everyday life ?

civilization.

RM : What control theory does show is that arbitrary control,

particularly of humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to
conflict. Arbitrary control is exerting control without considering the fact
that living control systems are controlling many variables at the same time
and when you arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing
a controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things
they are controlling.

HB : It makes some sense, but I don't understand what you meant by
arbitrary control< ?

RM: It means controlling without taking a persons wants and needs (the

references for the many different perceptions that the person is controlling
for) into account. In non-PCT terms, it is controlling another person
without respecting that person's humanity (and autonomy).

BH: If you are thinking like this one : >Controlle behavior match my

wanted perception of behvior and thus it is >controlled< it's wrong.

RM: That's exactly how I am thinking. And I think you are wrong about this

being wrong.

BH: You have PCT which helps you understand what's happening inside

organisms. Human control and behavior are quite unpredictable, because the
references are formed inside organism, where most of control is done.

RM: Once you have correctly identified a controlled variable behavior (the

actions that protect that variable from disturbance) can be predicted with
very high accuracy. See the "Basic Control demo" at
Nature of Control to see what I mean.

BH: Just observable >facts< of behavioral event are not prove that people

control each other. Although it's not excluded. The controller's behavior is
just a disturbance to controlee perceptual control. From what happens in
controlee comparator (error) will probably decide whether controlee behavior
will resemble to something controller wanted or not. But never behavior of
controlee will be just exact >copy< of controller's wanted behavior, because
controlee is in control.

RM: It may not be an "exact" copy of what the controller wants, but it

can be very close (like within 1% of the desired value).

RM: Anyway, this behavior -- managing flocks -- is a very interesting

demonstration of controlling a perception (of gaps between sheep) via
disturbance of a perception being controlled by the control systems that are
being controlled.

RM: Well, that's progress!

Best

Rick

But as usual I'm living space for not understanding something right. And

as always, sorry for my language.

Best,

Boris

[mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Marken

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by fitting

both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices, allowing the
researchers to track their movements. The research is presented in a BBC
article at 'Two simple rules' explain sheepdog behaviour - BBC News .

RM: Great find, Bruce! There are two things that make this report

particularly interesting to me. The first is the quote by Andrew King, which
is a great description of the PCT approach to research. To paraphrase King:
in order to understand the behavior of organisms you have to try to look at
their behavior from the point of view of the organism (behaving system)
Itself. I make this same point in the chapter on "Looking at Behavior
through Control Theory Glasses" in "Doing Research on Purpose" (why hasn't
that become a best seller yet?). I do it in the section on trying to
understand the apparent "fixed action pattern" of the greylag goose. The
goose is seen to continue to make the movements that would pull an egg back
into its nest even when the egg is no longer present. Looking at an
organism's behavior from the organism's perspective helps you come up with
good ideas about what perceptual variables the organism is controlling (the
first step in the Test for the Controlled Variable). By looking at the
goose's egg rolling behavior from the goose's perspective I was able to come
up with the hypothesis that the goose is trying to control the pressure of
the egg against the back of its bill and when the egg is removed the
continued efforts to move the non-existent egg into the nest (the apparent
fixed action pattern) is just the efforts of the pressure control system to
restore the pressure of the egg against the back of the bill. By looking at
the sheepdogs herding behavior from the dogs' perspective King came up with
the reasonable hypothesis that the dogs were controlling their perception of
the gaps between patches of white (the sheep), trying to keep those gaps at
zero.

RM: The other thing that's interesting about this report is that the dogs

were clearly controlling their perception of the gaps by controlling the
behavior of the sheep. And they did this by becoming a disturbance to a
perception that the sheep control by getting closer to other sheep: the
perception of safety. So any model of this behavior would have to model the
dogs' "gap" control system and the sheep's safety control system. Such a
simulation would show that control systems can both control and _be_
controlled. This kind of simulation would help dispel what I think is a
common misconception about the control theory model of organisms --
particularly humans. It is a misconception that I myself labored under until
just a few years ago. It is the idea that because organisms are autonomous
control systems -- autonomous in the sense that they set their own
references for the states of their own perception -- they cannot be
controlled. But autonomous control systems can be controlled, as is
demonstrated by the sheepdogs controlling the sheep. It can also be easily
demonstrated with humans using the rubber band demo; the E in this
experiment can control the finger position of the S once S has agreed to
control the position of the knot. And thanks to Bruce Abbott I demonstrated
to myself that E can still exert this control even if S continuously -- and
autonomously -- varies his or her reference for the position of the knot.

RM: Control theory doesn't say that organisms (particularly humans) can't

be controlled; indeed, it shows that they can be controlled, mainly by
disturbance to a controlled variable. Nor does control theory show that
controlling organisms (particularly humans) is necessarily a bad thing to
do. What control theory does show is that arbitrary control, particularly of
humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to conflict. Arbitrary
control is exerting control without considering the fact that living control
systems are controlling many variables at the same time and when you
arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing a
controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things
they are controlling. So to take an example that Bill used (somewhere), if E
decides to place S's finger against a hot soldering iron while controlling
Ss finger position in the rubber band game that will clearly lconflict with
another goal S has (not getting burned). Non-arbitrary control is control
that is done with the consent (often implicit but sometimes explicit) of the
would-be controllee. Non- arbitrary control is, I think, essential when
humans control other humans. To see why, think about what happens when
people are arbitrarily controlled (herded) in the same way that the sheep
were. Hint: They don't like it. Why do you think not?

RM: Anyway, this behavior -- managing flocks -- is a very interesting

being controlled.

Best

Rick

understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal's

"At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out looking

from a birds eye view, but then we realised we needed to see what the dog
sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between them or the
gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them together."

According to Dr King, sheepdogs are making the most of the "selfish herd

theory" to bring the animals close together and move them where they want.

"One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a threat

by working with their neighbours. It's the selfish herd theory: put
something between the threat and you. Individuals try to minimise the chance
of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of a group."

the GPS data from the collars to develop computer simulations. This enabled
them to develop a mathematical shepherding model.

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs. It

helps to solve what has been called the 'the shepherding problem': how one
agent can control a large number of unwilling agents.

I'd be interested to know whether the computer algorithm models each

individual's control systems or operates by some other method.

Bruce

--

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

--
Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

I would like to point out that when I purchase an item, I am not attempting to control any other persons behavior. I am attempting to control the legitimate ownership of the item. In order to do this I must locate the current owner or a legitimate representative of the owner (typically clerks do not own items that sell). Then I must provide an agreed upon price and receive a receipt that I can show anyone to anyone who might inquire about my legitimacy as owner. If all I want is possession, I could attempt to shoplift the item.

Purchasing an item is an instance of collective control to accomplish a perception that neither participant can control alone. If I give money to another customer, I will not have purchased the item. If I just leave money on the counter, I will not have purchased the item. It is not just what each of us does that accomplishes the reference condition but who we are when we do it.

It is also not a matter of disturbing anyone reference conditions, but of facilitating the control of all of the participants, including the persons who hired the clerk, who produced the item, who transported the item, etc. Human beings accomplish most of the purposes by participating in collective control systems, not by by attempting to control each other.

bob

···

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM, Boris Hartman boris.hartman@masicom.net wrote:

Thanks Kent,

for your explanation. It was very educational. :). But as I see it

discussion between me and Rick was quite partial not so general, so I

thought that we could maybe put it on general level…

But for the whole (general) discussion about possibilities of "controlling

each other" I have all the time in my mind your thoughts about possible

pricniples of “control of other people behavior” or as you call it

“interpersonal control”. Your language somehow easily express what I think.

The starting points are :

KM :

1. Whatever the strategy employed, it seems that control of a person’s

perceptions always remains with the person, and thus that no person can

achieve direct control of another’s behavior.

1. Even when people choose to obey, they remain in control of their own

perceptions.

1. …(from a PCT viewpoint) is to create a disturbance large enough to get

the other party to readjust his or her reference levels.

1. …when a person observes another person’s physical actions, the observer

can see “behaviors” at a lot of different perceptual levels.

I took just thoughts for which I could find physioogical evidence.

HB :

I think that the most what people can do to another people is to make them

as you wrote “readjust” the reference level, so other people can not

normally directly access to direct control of another behavior.

So PCT by my oppinion reveals the inherent limitations of all of our

attempts to control other people’s behavior. We have to understand how

organisms work to understand how references are producced and how they can

be “readjusted” by environment. But all that can be done only inside

organism.

Because I think that behavior can be treated just as disturbance to another

person’s control, I can’t imagine how references for behavior can be set

from outside (others behavior) so that we can say that other people are

controlled. One way is to imagine “force” which another person with intended

“strategies of interpersonal control” try to influence others. So I can

imagine how people can probably be “induced” to change references. But I can

imagine only of few kind of human behavior that could “cause” different

“production” of references in other’s behavior, so to control organisms

control of references. One is “genetical engineering”, behavior which can

produce new internal standards for references in organisms, because in basic

organisms functional references are genetically set.

The main point of PCT as I see it, is that organisms produce references and

“adjust” it through perceptual signal through social or physical

environment. So it’s difficult to imagine how people can create references

in other person’s organism. I think that always only person (Living Control

System) in control can. I think that mostly people control their lives by

“adjusting” and “readjusting” their references. But they can be produced

only inside organisms.

So other people can apply behaviors that can “lower” the intensity of

disturbances to someone’s perceptual control (help them for easier control)

or make such a disturbances that increase the intensity of disturbances to

other people control (obstruct their control). But people can not ever

“overtake” the control of other people behavior in the course of thinking

with some principles that you proposed.

So I think that people can limit control of others, or put "degrees of

freedom to zero" or apply other disturbances which could differently affect

other person’s perceptual control, but by my oppinion they can never control

them in normal everyday circumstances, as they can’t ever access to others

direct production of references in the sense that they could overtake the

control of others behavior. For that they would need to set the reference

for behavior from outside and that is “forbidden in PCT” as far as I

understand. And I think that’s the problem with 11th level when somebody can

think it as suitable to set reference to that level from outside for example

social environment. But Bill as far as i know never allowed that. Although

it seems that references on that level could come from environment (physical

or social). But only organism as a whole with reference self-production can

take care of self-existance.

As I suggested “genetic engineering” can be one way of intervention into

organic structure of organisms , maybe also electric shock, some chemical

substances, surgery…). But even in these cases “disturbances” produced

inside organism has to use organisms potentials for reference “production”.

Sheepdogs are controiling whatever they control and sheeps are controlling

what ever they control inside organism. Their control can interfear. But

control always stays at the Living Control Systems (as you pointed out)

which have to survive with physiological processes inside producing their

references. So if we are looking people arround they succesfully control

whatever they are controlling in all “directions” following their goals

which “grow inside” organism.

And when “gosammer threads” as you describe people interaction intersect,

than some changes in references and control loop can happen, because “mix”

disturbances (as you one’s called them) can affect perceptual control and

thus also “readjustment” of references by organism in control. But I don’t

see how “production” of reference signals can be “induced” with other

behavior.

So as I see it references can not be set from outside (only in rare cases)

and also not control. They are always set inside the organism with included

inside and outside disturbances to internal organisms control. And if

references can not be set in other organism, how can LCS be controlled with

behavior of others ? It sems that only organsim itself can make behavior

“match” to “controller” wishes.

Best,

Boris

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of McClelland, Kent

Sent: Monday, September 08, 2014 3:54 AM

Hi, Rick and Boris. I hope you’re both doing well. I see that my name has

come up in this exchange, so I’ll see if I can say anything to help move it

along. As I look at what you’ve written, I don’t see much in either person’s

position to disagree with, but you seem to be at an impasse. The difficulty

seems to be semantic, revolving around what it means to control another

person’s behavior, which Rick says can be done and Boris says can’t. In my

view, you’re both partly right.

KM: The problem, as I see it, is that a person’s behavior (or that of any

living control system with hierarchical control of perceptions) is never

just one thing. A person controls lots of different perceptions

simultaneously, at different perceptual levels. And when a person observes

another person’s physical actions, the observer can see “behaviors” at a lot

of different perceptual levels.

KM: A person acting as a subject in the classic PCT rubber-band experiment,

for instance, can be observed to be bending a finger so as to keep the

rubber band in place, moving the hand and arm in a pattern that tends to

mirror the movements of the “experimenter’s” hand, sitting in a chair

(perhaps), making motions with the face that (perhaps) indicate a grimace or

smile or some other expression, holding the head in position to see the

rubber band, leaning on the table (perhaps) with the other hand or elbow,

breathing, holding the rubber band’s knot over the dot, participating in the

rubber band experiment, and no doubt lots of other things depending on the

observer’s acuity of observation and frames of reference.

KM: All of these “behaviors” are under the person’s control, in the sense

that the person could change them if he or she chose to do so, though many

of them may not be in the person’s conscious awareness at any given moment.

And some of the behaviors are probably not in direct control, in the sense

that disturbances to these actions might not be resisted, because they are

simply the means for controlling the person’s highest-priority perception of

the moment, which is making sure the dot stays over the knot.

KM: Because a person controls lots of different things at once, under the

right circumstances another person can control SOME of these behaviors (as

the controller perceives them), but not ALL of them, at least not all of

them simultaneously. The trick in controlling a particular behavior by

another person (call it behavior A) is to get the person to focus on

controlling behavior B, and then to remove all the other ways for the person

to keep controlling behavior B except by doing behavior A.

KM: That’s the classic pattern for manipulation of a person’s behavior. In

the rubber-band experiment, for example, the experimenter can make the

subject trace some geometric pattern of hand motions (behavior A) by

providing the right disturbances, because if the subject wants to keep the

knot over the dot (behavior B) the only means of doing so, given those

disturbances and the set-up of the experiment, is to make the hand pattern

(behavior A).

KM: It’s also the classic pattern of coercion: "Do what I tell you (behavior

A), or else you won’t be able to continue to perceive that your mother is

still alive (behavior B)."

KM: The pattern also applies to the dog and sheep example. The sheep cluster

together and move in the desired direction (behavior A), because they want

to perceive themselves as safe from an attack by that nasty predator

sheepdog (behavior B), which is a higher priority perception for them, at

least temporarily, than perceiving themselves to be munching on nicest and

juiciest tufts of grass (behavior C). (The really interesting question of

control here is how the shepherd is controlling the sheepdog-what set of

perceptions is that dog controlling?)

KM: Thus, the control of one person’s behavior by another person can and

does happen, but it is always partial control, at the most, and the

controlled person always retains control of some perceptions (like perhaps

the perception that the controller is a jerk). As soon as the person stops

controlling behavior B or finds another way to control it that doesn’t

involve behavior A, the attempt to control fails.

civilization.

KM: Martin Taylor, in the chapter he’s writing for the LCS IV book edited by

Warren Mansell (a preliminary draft of which I’ve been lucky enough to see),

calls this kind of exchange transaction a “protocol,” and, if I understand

his concept correctly, protocols provide a way for two people acting

together to control two different perceptions. The side-effects of one

person’s behavior in controlling his or her own perception allow the other

person to control a different perception (and vice-versa). In your example,

the cashier controls the perception of completing a sale by getting your

money and giving you the item and $5 change, while you control the

perception of buying the item by handing over the money and getting the item

and change back.

KM: I don’t think I would describe this exchange situation as control of

another person’s behavior unless you were buying the item from someone who

had a monopoly, and the only way for you to get the item (behavior B) would

be to pay the asking price (behavior A). Even then, you could refuse to buy

the item or just get something else, unless the item were something you

couldn’t live without.

Best,

Kent

BH : I don’t think that dogs were controlling gaps by >controlling sheeps

behavior<. Sheeps were controlling their behavior on the bases of

disturbances dog produced to sheep perceptual control.

RM: Yes, the sheep were controlling a perception (I called it safety) to

which the approach of the dog was a disturbance. The sheep compensated for

this disturbance by moving closer to other sheep. This is the behavior that

the dog wanted to see (were controlling for) because it closed the gaps that

were a disturbance to the perception the dog was controlling. So the dog was

able to control the behavior of the sheep, getting them to bunch closer

together, because the sheep were controlling for safety by bunching

together.

RM : So any model of this behavior would have to model the dogs’ “gap”

control system and the sheep’s safety control system. Such a simulation

would show that control systems can both control and be controlled.

BH : Well this is a good idea to make simultaneous simulation. Did you try

it ?

BH: But this is the n-th time that we are trying to solve the problem how

LCS can be “controlled”. In the book : Making sense of behavior Bill talks

about “attempts of control” not “control”…

BH: Maybe Kent could explain what’s wrong with your position about >LCS

can be controlled".

RM: Yes, I think that’s a good idea, though I would be surprised if Kent

thought that there is something wrong with my “position”. My position is

simply that people can clearly control the behavior other people and their

own behavior can be controlled as well. This is an observable fact that is

explained by PCT. I leave the explanation as an exercise.

RM : It can also be easily demonstrated with humans using the rubber band

demo; the E in this experiment can control the finger position of the S once

S has agreed to control the position of the knot.

BH : Yes. Watch your wording in rubber band demo. “Once S has agreed” or

as Kent said “S chooses”. . So it’s obviously that S agreed to be

controlled.

RM: Not quite. S has agreed to control a particular perception (the

location of the knot relative to the dot, in this case). S has not agreed

to be controlled; indeed, S is typically unaware of being controlled after

agreeing to control that perception.

HB : Aplying distrubance to a >controlled variable< does not mean that

control is established. It seems that Kent and I agree that disturbances are

aplyed to perceptual control and target person chooses.

RM: I would be interested to hear what Kent has to say about that. I would

be very surprised if he agreed with your analysis.

RM : Nor does control theory show that controlling organisms (particularly

humans) is necessarily a bad thing to do.

BH : Now you are exaggerating Rick. You can’t control organisms. I’d

really like to see how you are doing that in everyday life ?

civilization.

RM : What control theory does show is that arbitrary control,

particularly of humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to

conflict. Arbitrary control is exerting control without considering the fact

that living control systems are controlling many variables at the same time

and when you arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing

a controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things

they are controlling.

HB : It makes some sense, but I don’t understand what you meant by

arbitrary control< ?

RM: It means controlling without taking a persons wants and needs (the

references for the many different perceptions that the person is controlling

for) into account. In non-PCT terms, it is controlling another person

without respecting that person’s humanity (and autonomy).

BH: If you are thinking like this one : >Controlle behavior match my

wanted perception of behvior and thus it is >controlled< it’s wrong.

RM: That’s exactly how I am thinking. And I think you are wrong about this

being wrong.

BH: You have PCT which helps you understand what’s happening inside

organisms. Human control and behavior are quite unpredictable, because the

references are formed inside organism, where most of control is done.

RM: Once you have correctly identified a controlled variable behavior (the

actions that protect that variable from disturbance) can be predicted with

very high accuracy. See the “Basic Control demo” at

http://www.mindreadings.com/ControlDemo/BasicTrack.html to see what I mean.

BH: Just observable >facts< of behavioral event are not prove that people

control each other. Although it’s not excluded. The controller’s behavior is

just a disturbance to controlee perceptual control. From what happens in

controlee comparator (error) will probably decide whether controlee behavior

will resemble to something controller wanted or not. But never behavior of

controlee will be just exact >copy< of controller’s wanted behavior, because

controlee is in control.

RM: It may not be an “exact” copy of what the controller wants, but it

can be very close (like within 1% of the desired value).

RM: Anyway, this behavior – managing flocks – is a very interesting

being controlled.

Best

Rick

But as usual I’m living space for not understanding something right. And

as always, sorry for my language.

Best,

Boris

[mailto:csgnet-request@lists.illinois.edu] On Behalf Of Richard Marken

Researchers have investigated how sheepdogs manage their flocks by fitting

both the dogs and the sheep with highly accurate GPS devices, allowing the

researchers to track their movements. The research is presented in a BBC

article at http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-28936251 .

RM: Great find, Bruce! There are two things that make this report

particularly interesting to me. The first is the quote by Andrew King, which

is a great description of the PCT approach to research. To paraphrase King:

in order to understand the behavior of organisms you have to try to look at

their behavior from the point of view of the organism (behaving system)

Itself. I make this same point in the chapter on "Looking at Behavior

through Control Theory Glasses" in “Doing Research on Purpose” (why hasn’t

that become a best seller yet?). I do it in the section on trying to

understand the apparent “fixed action pattern” of the greylag goose. The

goose is seen to continue to make the movements that would pull an egg back

into its nest even when the egg is no longer present. Looking at an

organism’s behavior from the organism’s perspective helps you come up with

good ideas about what perceptual variables the organism is controlling (the

first step in the Test for the Controlled Variable). By looking at the

goose’s egg rolling behavior from the goose’s perspective I was able to come

up with the hypothesis that the goose is trying to control the pressure of

the egg against the back of its bill and when the egg is removed the

continued efforts to move the non-existent egg into the nest (the apparent

fixed action pattern) is just the efforts of the pressure control system to

restore the pressure of the egg against the back of the bill. By looking at

the sheepdogs herding behavior from the dogs’ perspective King came up with

the reasonable hypothesis that the dogs were controlling their perception of

the gaps between patches of white (the sheep), trying to keep those gaps at

zero.

RM: The other thing that’s interesting about this report is that the dogs

were clearly controlling their perception of the gaps by controlling the

behavior of the sheep. And they did this by becoming a disturbance to a

perception that the sheep control by getting closer to other sheep: the

perception of safety. So any model of this behavior would have to model the

dogs’ “gap” control system and the sheep’s safety control system. Such a

simulation would show that control systems can both control and be

controlled. This kind of simulation would help dispel what I think is a

common misconception about the control theory model of organisms –

particularly humans. It is a misconception that I myself labored under until

just a few years ago. It is the idea that because organisms are autonomous

control systems – autonomous in the sense that they set their own

references for the states of their own perception – they cannot be

controlled. But autonomous control systems can be controlled, as is

demonstrated by the sheepdogs controlling the sheep. It can also be easily

demonstrated with humans using the rubber band demo; the E in this

experiment can control the finger position of the S once S has agreed to

control the position of the knot. And thanks to Bruce Abbott I demonstrated

to myself that E can still exert this control even if S continuously – and

autonomously – varies his or her reference for the position of the knot.

RM: Control theory doesn’t say that organisms (particularly humans) can’t

be controlled; indeed, it shows that they can be controlled, mainly by

disturbance to a controlled variable. Nor does control theory show that

controlling organisms (particularly humans) is necessarily a bad thing to

do. What control theory does show is that arbitrary control, particularly of

humans by other humans, will almost certainly lead to conflict. Arbitrary

control is exerting control without considering the fact that living control

systems are controlling many variables at the same time and when you

arbitrarily decide to have a person do something (by disturbing a

controlling variable) what you have them do may conflict with other things

they are controlling. So to take an example that Bill used (somewhere), if E

decides to place S’s finger against a hot soldering iron while controlling

Ss finger position in the rubber band game that will clearly lconflict with

another goal S has (not getting burned). Non-arbitrary control is control

that is done with the consent (often implicit but sometimes explicit) of the

would-be controllee. Non- arbitrary control is, I think, essential when

humans control other humans. To see why, think about what happens when

people are arbitrarily controlled (herded) in the same way that the sheep

were. Hint: They don’t like it. Why do you think not?

RM: Anyway, this behavior – managing flocks – is a very interesting

being controlled.

Best

Rick

understand the behavior they needed to view the action from the animal’s

"At the beginning we had lots of different ideas. We started out looking

from a birds eye view, but then we realised we needed to see what the dog

sees. It sees white, fluffy things. If there are gaps between them or the

gaps get bigger, the dogs needs to bring them together."

According to Dr King, sheepdogs are making the most of the "selfish herd

theory" to bring the animals close together and move them where they want.

"One of the things that sheep are really good at is responding to a threat

by working with their neighbours. It’s the selfish herd theory: put

something between the threat and you. Individuals try to minimise the chance

of anything happening to them, so they move towards the centre of a group."

the GPS data from the collars to develop computer simulations. This enabled

them to develop a mathematical shepherding model.

The algorithm displays the same weaving pattern exhibited by sheepdogs. It

helps to solve what has been called the ‘the shepherding problem’: how one

agent can control a large number of unwilling agents.

I’d be interested to know whether the computer algorithm models each

individual’s control systems or operates by some other method.

Bruce

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

···

[From Rick Marken (2014.09.08.1545)]

Kent McClelland (2014.09.07.2050)

KM: I see that my name has come up in this exchange, so I’ll see if I can say anything to help move it along. As I look at what you’ve written, I don’t see much in either person’s position to disagree with, but you seem to be at an impasse. The difficulty seems to be semantic, revolving around what it means to control another person’s behavior, which Rick says can be done and Boris says can’t. In my view, you’re both partly right.

RM: I think it’s more than semantic. I think the difficulty turns on knowing what control is, in fact, not in theory. Once you know what control is then there is no controversy at all: behavior can be controlled. That’s what we are seeing with the sheepdogs (the dogs controlling the gaps between the sheep) and with the E and S in the rubber band demo (E controlling the finger position of S). A variable (the gap, the finger position) is being kept in a pre-selected state (0 gap, finger on target dot), protected from disturbance (autonomously produced changes in the closeness of the sheep to one another, the closeness of the finger to the target dot) by varying actions appropriately (moving towards or away from the sheep, increasing or reducing the pull on the rubber band) .

KM: The problem, as I see it, is that a person’s behavior (or that of any living control system with hierarchical control of perceptions) is never just one thing. A person controls lots of different perceptions simultaneously, at different perceptual levels. And when a person observes another person’s physical actions, the observer can see “behaviors” at a lot of different perceptual levels.

RM: Yes, but this is true of all of our experience, not just our experience of other people’s behavior. We control perceptual variables of many different types (hypothetically 11 different types of perceptual variable). I don’t see what this has to do with whether or not people can control other people’s behavior.

KM: Because a person controls lots of different things at once, under the right circumstances another person can control SOME of these behaviors (as the controller perceives them), but not ALL of them, at least not all of them simultaneously. The trick in controlling a particular behavior by another person (call it behavior A) is to get the person to focus on controlling behavior B, and then to remove all the other ways for the person to keep controlling behavior B except by doing behavior A.

RM: Yes, this is all I claimed was true: people can control the behavior of other people. Of course, they can only control some of these behaviors – the one’s that correct for disturbances to the variable the controllee is controlling. This is why I gave the example of controlling the position of S’s finger in the rubber band demo. Since S must vary the position of the finger in order to compensate for E- produced disturbances to the position of the knot, the variable S is controlling, E can control S’s finger position by disturbing the position of the knot. S’s finger position is the only aspect of S’s behavior that E can control in this situation. But that aspect of S’s behavior can certainly be controlled.

KM: That’s the classic pattern for manipulation of a person’s behavior.

RM: Right! This is how you can manipulate (control) another person’s behavior.

KM: The pattern also applies to the dog and sheep example.

RM: Exactly, the dog controls the behavior of the sheep by disturbing a variable that the sheep control by grouping themselves closer together. Boris disagrees and says that the sheep are not being controlled by the dog, which is demonstrably wrong. Without the dog there, the gaps between the sheep would on average be quite wide.

KM: Thus, the control of one person’s behavior by another person can and does happen

RM: My point exactly.

KM: Martin Taylor, in the chapter he’s writing for the LCS IV book edited by Warren Mansell (a preliminary draft of which I’ve been lucky enough to see), calls this kind of exchange transaction a “protocol,”

RM: I looked at Martin’s reply and what he describes as a “protocol” is not the same as the mutual controlling that occurs in the customer/cashier interaction.

KM: and, if I understand his concept correctly, protocols provide a way for two people acting together to control two different perceptions. The side-effects of one person’s behavior in controlling his or her own perception allow the other person to control a different perception (and vice-versa). In your example, the cashier controls the perception of completing a sale by getting your money and giving you the item and $5 change, while you control the perception of buying the item by handing over the money and getting the item and change back.

RM: The difference between the customer/cashier interaction and the interaction between two control systems described by Martin is that there is no control of one control system by another in the situation Martin describes. In the customer/cashier situation, successful control by each control system requires successful control of each control system’s behavior by the other control system. In Martin’s “protocol”, shown below, Alan’s ability to control PA does not depend on controlling Beth’s behavior and vice versa. The actions Alan uses to control PA are a disturbance to PB which Beth will oppose along with any other disturbances to PB, and vice versa. But Alan’s ability to control PA does not depend on his controlling Beth’s behavior. INdeed, Alan can control PA just fine whether Beth is controlling PB or not.

This is quite different from the customer/cashier situation. The customer is controlling for paying the exact cost for the product; the cashier is controlling for collecting the exact payment. If the product costs $5 and the customer hands $10 to the cashier, the customer will achieve the “pay the exact cost” goal only if the cashier returns the exact change. So the customer is controlling for the cashier returning $5. The cashier is also controlling for collecting the cost of the customer’s item and so will allow the customer to leave with the product only after payment has been received. If the cashier were not controlling for getting only the exact amount for the product the customer would not successfully control for getting the correct change behavior from the cashier; if the customer were not controlling for paying for the product the cashier would not successfully control for getting paid by the customer.

KM: I don’t think I would describe this exchange situation as control of another person’s behavior

RM: Apparently Bob Hintz doesn’t think so either. But, again, I think it can be easily demonstrated that both the customer and cashier are, in fact, controlling each other’s behavior by introducing disturbances to the hypothetical behavior variables that are being controlled. For example, have the cashier give the customer $4 rather $5 dollars in change – a disturbance to the customer’s perception of the cashier returning the correct change. I think you will see the customer take action – like arguing with the cashier – to bring the cashier’s behavior to the desired state: handing over the $5 change. Similarly, have the customer hand the cashier $4 rather than $5. I think you will see the cashier take action – like calling over the manager – to bring the customer’s behavior to the desired state: pay for the product. So the customer is controlling for the “returning correct change” behavior of the cashier and the cashier is controlling for the “paying for the product” behavior of the customer.

KM: unless you were buying the item from someone who had a monopoly, and the only way for you to get the item (behavior B) would be to pay the asking price (behavior A). Even then, you could refuse to buy the item or just get something else, unless the item were something you couldn’t live without.

RM: I hope my little explanation shows that this is not necessary. The customer and cashier are controlling each other’s behavior but it doesn’t look like they are controlling each other’s behavior (and they certainly don’t feel like they are controlling each other) until one or the other doesn’t behave as desired. This is the way it is with all our controlling, though, isn’t it? We don’t feel like we are controlling when we walk down the street or talk on the phone or swim in the lake – that is, we don’t notice our controlling until we start to lose it .Skillful control does’t feel like anything special; it just feels like we are doing things. And this is true of skillful controlling of our own limbs, of the physical consequences of limb movements (like walking and swimming) and interpersonal consequences of these limb movements (like getting change from a cashier).

RM: I think I understand why people don’t want to believe that they can be controlled and why they do want to believe that they never control other people. It fits with our idea that we are “free” and “good”. But I think it’s better to recognize when we are controlling, especially when we are controlling (and being controlled by) other control systems. Understanding how to recognize this is, I think, one of the most important things to learn from PCT. It’s only when you know that you are controlling (and being controlled) that you can adjust your own controlling to reduce inter (and intra) personal conflict and work to organize society in a way that allows controllers to do their controlling with the least amount of conflict and the greatest amount of cooperation with other controllers. Making believe that we can’t be controlled or that we are not controlled by and/or don’t control other controllers is not the road to a better world, I think.

Best

Rick

Best,

Kent

Best

Rick

Best,

Boris

Best

Rick

Bruce

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

[Martin Taylor 2014.09.07.20.56]

That is not a diagram of a protocol. It's a diagram of a mutual

side-effect interaction, in which, as you say, each person is
controlling a variable on his or her own, and the side-effect of
that control just happens to influence the perception the other is
controlling. I think this situation can sometimes evolve through
co-reorganization into a protocol, but it isn’t one. The other half
of the figure, the part you omitted, diagrams a protocol.
Correct. The customer-cashier situation is an example of a protocol.
Martin

···

[From Rick Marken (2014.09.08.1545)]

Kent

McClelland (2014.09.07.2050)

> RM: One example: When I give a cashier $10 for a $5

item I am controlling for the cashier giving me $5 change.
The cashier is also controlling for me paying $5 for the
item. Typically, we both get the behaviors from each other
than we want: a nice example of mutual control, and no one
gets hurt (or oppressed). This kind of agreed on mutual
control is the basis of civilization.

KM: Martin Taylor, in the chapter he's writing for

the LCS IV book edited by Warren Mansell (a preliminary
draft of which I’ve been lucky enough to see), calls this
kind of exchange transaction a “protocol,”

RM: I looked at Martin's reply and what he describes as

a “protocol” is not the same as the mutual controlling
that occurs in the customer/cashier interaction.

KM:

and, if I understand his concept correctly, protocols
provide a way for two people acting together to control
two different perceptions. The side-effects of one
person’s behavior in controlling his or her own perception
allow the other person to control a different perception
(and vice-versa). In your example, the cashier controls
the perception of completing a sale by getting your money
and giving you the item and $5 change, while you control
the perception of buying the item by handing over the
money and getting the item and change back.

RM: The difference between the customer/cashier

interaction and the interaction between two control
systems described by Martin is that there is no control of
one control system by another in the situation Martin
describes. In the customer/cashier situation, successful
control by each control system requires successful control
of each control system’s behavior by the other control
system. In Martin’s “protocol”, shown below, Alan’s
ability to control PA does not depend on controlling
Beth’s behavior and vice versa. The actions Alan uses to
control PA are a disturbance to PB which Beth will oppose
along with any other disturbances to PB, and vice versa.
But Alan’s ability to control PA does not depend on his
controlling Beth’s behavior. INdeed, Alan can control PA
just fine whether Beth is controlling PB or not.

This is quite different from the customer/cashier

situation.

[From Rick Marken (2014.09.08.1812)]

···

Martin Taylor (2014.09.07.20.56)

MT: That is not a diagram of a protocol. It's a diagram of a mutual

side-effect interaction,

MT: Correct. The customer-cashier situation is an example of a protocol.

RM: You are so right. My mistake. A quick glance led me to believe that the diagrams were essentially the same. But the diagram of the other interaction – the one between Ivan and Cora – is one that involves mutual control of each other’s behavior (via disturbance to controlled variables), which is, indeed, the situation with the customer-cashier. So a protocol does involve mutual control of behavior. Nice work. Sorry about the mistake.

Best

Rick

Richard S. Marken, Ph.D.

RM: I looked at Martin's reply and what he describes as

a “protocol” is not the same as the mutual controlling
that occurs in the customer/cashier interaction.