[spam] Re: New PCT Text on Discipline Methods

[From Bill Powers (2006.11.20.0950 MST)]

Rick Marken (2006.11.19.1015) --

(with thanks to Gary Cziko for finding the text in Project Gutenberg)

I discovered the best book ever on PCT-based discipline methods. It's beautifully written and presents the PCT view with aplomb. And, most amazingly, it was written in 1661 by a Frenchman named Jean Baptiste Poquelin, better known now, perhaps, as Moliere. It's called _School for Husbands_ and I read it aloud last night with some friends. It's even written in rhymed couplets. The author called his PCT based program "liberalism" which is what I always thought was the best way to characterize the PST approach to discipline. I plan to use this book in my course on PCT! I highly recommend it, especially to those interested in the application of PCT in education.

Molier's thinking was not, of course, based on the theory that all behavior is control behavior. Indeed, he seemed to think that only women's behavior and that of fops was justifiable control behavior, and that men who behaved in ways that others consider unfashionable and behind the times (Sganarelle) deserve to be deceived, made fools of, and generally manipulated so others may achieve their own hearts' desires.

Of course it's a very amusing story and the gimmick of having the stupid husband-to-be carry the love messages back and forth appeals to one's sense of justice, because he is so repressive and posessive. He obviously deserves punishment for being such a bad man, while the lovers deserve rewards for being so clever. Perhaps Sganarella will learn his lesson from the pain and embarassment he has suffered, and change his ways, if that's how it works. Or do we really want to think of his changing his ways? Maybe punishing Sganarella is enough fun for one play.

At the end, the clever Isabella says. "(_To Sganarelle_). As for you, sir,
I will not excuse myself to you. I serve you much more than I wrong you.
Heaven did not design us for one another. As I found I was unworthy of
your love, and undeserving of a heart like yours, I vastly preferred to
see myself in another's hands."

But this attempt to change the context of what happened fails, for Sganarella himself tells us the lesson he learned from this treatment, and leaves us only to imagine his reactions had Isabella simply told him the truth from the beginning:

"SGAN. (_Recovering from the stupor into which he had been
plunged_). No, I cannot get the better of my astonishment. This
faithlessness perplexes my understanding. I think that Satan in person
could be no worse than such a jade! I could have sworn it was not in
her. Unhappy he who trusts a woman after this! The best of them are
always full of mischief; they were made to damn the whole world. I
renounce the treacherous sex for ever, and give them to the devil with
all my heart!"

Perhaps Molier (better known to some, apparently, as Jean Baptiste Poquelin) was more suble than may at first appear. The lovers, while achieving their own immediate desires, have succeeded in confirming and amplifying the misogynist views of Sganarella, so he is now resolved to mistrust all women as devils and hopes with all his heart that they are damned to Hell. It's hard to say whether this constitutes an improvement in his attitude, or whether some other approach might not have left a smaller amount of damage behind or lessened his impact on whatever unfortunate women he might come to know in the future.

I wonder what the victorious Valere made of Sganarella's final statement -- could he have begun to wonder if his new love might use her skills at planning and deception on him some time?

Best,

Bill P.