TED Talk relevant to weight "set-point"

Hi everyone,

First, thank you to everyone who puts the time and effort they do into this list. As a student, I learned an immeasurable amount from this list about PCT and the study of human behavior, as well as science in general.

Given the recent discussions about “set-points” and the particular weight gain example provided, I thought some members of the list might find this TED talk relevant on dieting and oscillating around a weight “set point.”

http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2014-01-11&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=talk_of_the_week_button

···

Garett Howardson
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Organizational Sciences
The George Washington University
600 21st St. Washington, DC

[From Bruce Abbott (2014.01.11.1535 EST)]

Thanks, Garett! And thanks for the link to Sandra Aamodt’s TED talk on why diets don’t work. To paraphrase the Clinton presidential campaign of yesteryear, “it’s the set-point, stupid!” Aamodt notes that keeping weight up for a period of time seems to raise the set-point, perhaps permanently, especially during childhood. Her recommendation to eat “mindfully” essentially says to pay attention to your feelings of hunger. Eat when you are hungry, and when you stop feeling hungry, stop eating. This strategy, if followed successfully, reduces the calories consumed by eliminating eating for other reasons, such as enjoyment of the taste, alleviation of boredom, and so on.

One point I would add about eating only when you’re hungry is that you can reduce how much you eat by taking your time when eating. There’s a large loop delay in the digestive system, by slowing down you eating you give the system action (food consumption) more time to bring hunger levels down, reducing the error enough to slow/stop the eating process before you’ve overeaten. (Gee – was I just talking about system dynamics again?) (;->

Bruce

···

From: Control Systems Group Network (CSGnet) [mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU] On Behalf Of Garett Howardson
Sent: Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:22 PM
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.ILLINOIS.EDU
Subject: TED Talk relevant to weight “set-point”

Hi everyone,

First, thank you to everyone who puts the time and effort they do into this list. As a student, I learned an immeasurable amount from this list about PCT and the study of human behavior, as well as science in general.

Given the recent discussions about “set-points” and the particular weight gain example provided, I thought some members of the list might find this TED talk relevant on dieting and oscillating around a weight “set point.”

http://www.ted.com/talks/sandra_aamodt_why_dieting_doesn_t_usually_work.html?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2014-01-11&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=talk_of_the_week_button

Garett Howardson
Doctoral Candidate
Department of Organizational Sciences
The George Washington University
600 21st St. Washington, DC

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3658/6994 - Release Date: 01/11/14