Tiger Wood

(David Goldstein (2009.12.14.13:52 EST))

What approach would a PCT/MOL Therapist take with Tiger Woods?

Would the idea that he suffers from a sexual addiction be completely thrown out?

David

[From Fred Nickols (2009.12.14.1214 MST)]

···

-------------- Original message ----------------------

Would the idea that he suffers from a sexual addiction be completely thrown out?

David

I can't answer the question as asked but I can speculate about Tiger's behavior in PCT terms. He apparently has a high reference level for sexual activity and number of partners. He also seems to have been pretty good at keeping his perceptions aligned with that reference level. And, he is now perhaps experiencing some conflict between keeping that one under control and some others he'd like to control as well. For me, "sexual addiction" doesn't come into play. That's a diagnosis/rationale/judgment made by others.

--
Regards,

Fred Nickols
Managing Partner
Distance Consulting, LLC
nickols@att.net
www.nickols.us

"Assistance at A Distance"

From Jim Wuwert (2009.12.14.1420EST)

David

What is sexual addiction? Those are words that we use to describe behaviors. But, maybe Tiger does not think there is any problem with his behavior. Right now, I think he is just trying to manage his public image.

Actually, his behavior is not that surprising to me. Almost every professional athlete engages in this type of behavior. But, most are able to manage their public perception so others do not hear about it. It is more rampant that people think. The media will not report any of that. This is sensationalism.

What is Tiger controlling for? Only he can answer that question.

Does he really want to change his behavior or be more discrete about it in the future because someone leaked this to the media?

I would assume that Tiger does not see anything wrong with his behavior or else he would have stopped doing this a long time ago. Or, better yet, he just recently started experiencing enough error that he feels he needs to do something different to adjust how he feels about other people’s perception of his behavior.

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address
is subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law,
which may result in monitoring and disclosure to
third parties, including law enforcement.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER