To any of you who study physiology.

[from philip]

Dear CSG,

This is a good book, I recommend it to whoever takes physiology very seriously in here (I know Boris and a few others do). The book’s message is this: the more we look at how variegated life is, inhabiting all corners of the globe and whatnot, the more we see that core physiological processes are conserved and serve as platforms for exaptations (an exaptation is a trait which evolved from another trait, presumably an ancient adaptation, but the new trait has nothing to do with the reason why the original trait evolved). This is a phenomenal concept; an expert’s tool for analysis. I wonder, when was the last time somebody referred to an “exaptation” on CSGnet? If so, repost the thread. To me, an exaptation sounds exactly!!! like the reorganization of existing control systems. Then again, however, so do antigen presentation and DNA recombination :wink: I’ll have to admit…*perhaps *I’ve been thinking about reorganization a little too much lately. But seriously, reorganization is THE most important concept in PCT. It’s so important that, if a control system was translated into a computer program, the reorganizing system would be the main() function (viz. C programming language). I reread chapter 14 of B:CP last night and I noticed the mention that babies start to reorganize from the moment they enter the world (how cute!). Well, so does protein (how…uh, serendipitous!) . I’ll blog about the book when I’m finished (It’s a 450 page book, so give me a few days to finish it plus another day to organize a presentation). In addition, I would also like to welcome Blake Ashley to CSGnet…Blake, I see you have a .gov email address…do you work for the feds? I’m joking ;p That’s a funny story about how you ended up in Bill’s house!

Biochemical Adaptation, Mechanism and Process in Physiological Evolution (Hochachka and Somero)

Cheers!