Toronto travel

From Dag Forssell [June 30, 2:10 pm]

I just made travel arrangements to attend the MOL and CSG conferences.
I'll be arriving (using red-eye) at YYZ, Toronto International by Canadair at 7:15 a.m. Terminal 1 on Sunday morning, July 17.

Anyone else arriving in the same time frame?
(I can afford to wait around a few hours :slight_smile: )

Somebody driving? Teaming up for multiple riders using the Red Car service advertised in the conference announcement?

Best, Dag

[From Bill Powers (2005.06.30.1750 MDT)]

Dag Forssell [June 30, 2:10 pm]

I'll be arriving (using red-eye) at YYZ, Toronto International by Canadair at 7:15 a.m. Terminal 1 on Sunday morning, July 17.

I'll arrive on July 17th, terminal 2, at 5:30 PM. David Goldstein will arrive around 3:30 PM and we have arranged to meet at the baggage claim area for my flight (United 8496). I'll call Red Car Guelph transportation service about a week before the meeting to reserve transportation for David, me, and anyone else who wants to be in that group. If you don't want to wait around all day, Dag, that's OK.

I also plan to call the Center to see if some sandwiches can be kept for us.

Best,

Bill P.

[Martin Taylor 2005.07.01.00.36]

Just got home from 2 weeks away.

[From Bill Powers (2005.06.30.1750 MDT)]

Dag Forssell [June 30, 2:10 pm]

I'll arrive on July 17th, terminal 2, at 5:30 PM. David Goldstein will arrive around 3:30 PM and we have arranged to meet at the baggage claim area for my flight (United 8496).

Remember that if you are flying direct from the US, you will have to clear customs when you arrive in Toronto. Either David will have to wait for your flight before clearing customs, assuming he is also arriving at Terminal 2, or you won't be able to meet at the baggage claim. The sequence is (1) immigration and customs pre-check (they give you a card that tells a final customs officer whether your baggage should be checked), (2) wait for baggage at caroussel, (3) exit to public access area through hordes of people awaiting friends and relatives.

I don't know whether this applies to all the terminals, but at least some of them have no access to toilets between passing the immigration check and the final exit to the public area, so I wouldn't plan on waiting around for too long in that region! I'm trying to think of a more suitable meeting point, but I'm not familiar enough with the airport to suggest one (I usually just get my bags and go find a taxi home). Maybe the earlier person could be one member of the waiting horde outside the customs exit door, though I can't say that's a very nice place to wait for long.

If I come up with a reasonable suggestion, I'll let you know.

Martin

[From Dag Forssell June 30, 10:10 pm]

Good info so far. I should clarify that I fly from San Francisco via Vancouver BC (Customs) and on to Toronto. I would wait an hour or two for some group to team up with me, but have no desire to wait all day at the airport. I'd rather enjoy the center and whoever is there.

Best, Dag

Hi, Dag --

I'd rather enjoy the center and whoever is there.

I would, too. See you there.

Bill

[From Bill Powers (2005.07.01.0758 MDT)]

Martin Taylor 2005.07.01.00.36 --

Thanks for the information, Martin. I amend my statement to say I will be meeting David in the horde of people in the public access area. Lacking any further information, I will turn left when I get to that area and go as far as I can in that direction while still in the same room. There I will expect to see one more more smiling faces.

I'll contact Red Car and see if they have any useful suggestions.

Best,

Bill P.
'