Two New Questions from an Old PCTer

1. This morning it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn’t heard from David Goldstein in some time. So I called him and found that his number is no longer in service. I know that David was quite ill the last time I talked to him (about 2 years ago, I think) so I am afraid he may have passed away. Does anyone know anything about David’s status?

2. After all the sturm and drang about the PCT explanation of the power law of movement that occurred on CSGNet and here on IAPCT Discourse, I wonder if there have been any recent publications relevant to that topic (other than our Behavioral Illusions paper published last year, 2022)?

Best, Rick

I found an obituary for a Dr. David M. Goldstein, a clinical psychologist. He passed away on October 5, 2022. Residence in Cherry Hill, NJ. Might that be him?

Yes, that’s him. David was one of the first people I met who was also interested in PCT. I think it was back in 1981 or 82. He was a colleague of Tom Bourbon’s at the college in East Texas where Tom was teaching. Tom pointed him to my work (I had already published a couple papers testing Bill’s theory), he got in touch with me and we met when I was in NYC for a wedding. David was never able to free himself completely from conventional approaches to understanding behavior (Q-sort was his particular obsession). But he was a very sweet person and a good friend. May he rest in peace.

RSM

We should include David in the In Memoriam page of the iapct.org website. Perhaps Rick could draft something and Fred could provide the obituary notice to Eva or Matias for inclusion on the website Memoriam page.

All you have to do is Google Dr David M Goldstein obituary and it will come up

Hi Richard

Could you please post this to that page:

From Rick Marken:

Dr. David M. Goldstein, an early and enthusiastic supporter of PCT-- his support began in 1980 – passed away on October 5, 2022. David was a colleague of Tom Bourbon – also an early and great supporter of PCT – at Stephen F. Austin State University. Tom pointed him to my work (I had already published a couple papers testing Bill’s theory), he got in touch with me and we met when I was in NYC for a wedding. David was never able to free himself completely from conventional approaches to understanding behavior (Q-sort was his particular obsession) but he was a great supported of PCT, a very sweet person and a good friend. May he rest in peace.

Here is David’s obituary that appeared in the Courier Post, a newspaper from his home town in Cherry Hill, NJ.

October 5, 2022. Beloved husband of Terry Goldstein; they were married for 56 years. Devoted father of Dr. Sara (Dr. Paul Boxer) Goldstein and Joshua Goldstein. Dear brother of the late Cookie (the late Dr. Martin) Frankel, Dr. Allan (Linda) Goldstein, Marcia (Samuel Jones) Goldstein, and Dr. Jerry (Barbara) Goldstein. Adoring grandfather of Noah, Lilah, and Maya. Also survived by many loving nieces and nephews. David had a long and generative career as a clinical psychologist, was an accomplished tennis player, and had an endearing habit of telling very bad jokes. He authored numerous academic book chapters and articles, and he taught Psychology at the University level for many years. He was incredibly kindhearted, nonjudgmental, and generous – somebody that friends and family turned to for advice, solace, and humor. He welcomed homeless pets into his house when his children brought them home, loved baseball (frequently entertaining his family with tales of his Babe Ruth League victories), and became a vegetarian in his 50s. David gave it the fight of his lifetime in his 4-year long battle with Cancer and participated in two clinical trials along the way, contributing to science until the end. David’s compassion, wisdom, and empathy will stay with those who knew him long after he has departed. Relatives and friends are invited Sunday, October 9th beginning 1:30 pm to PLATT MEMORIAL CHAPELS, Inc. 2001 Berlin Rd. Cherry Hill, NJ where funeral services will begin promptly at 2:00 pm. The service will also be live streamed on plattmemorial.com. Contributions may be made to Best Friends Animal Society, or to any other charity whose main purpose is to make the world a better place.

Thanks @rsmarken. The post is available now at: David M. Goldstein - iapct.org