What is essential? {was What is Qi?]

[Vyv Huddy 14.02.2017.14.25]

Hi Eetu,

···

[eetu pikkarainen 2017-02-14]

EP: As for the perceptual input, Bruce already answered that a living system could sense velocity with a single environmental variable.

VH: I’m not clear on that yet … but maybe Bruce can explain optic flow as a single environmental variable…
I’d be interested to see how this can be done in a way that is consistent with PCT. It seems describing it as a single variable makes it affordance like … some property of information in the environment.

EP: because of our needs of living we are always sensing a very large spectrum of variables which are then many ways mixed together and with memories in
higher level perceptions. Those higher level wholes than determine back to the reference levels and probably to input functions too.

VH: Yes I’d understand it that way too.

(Perhaps Chad was referring to something like this in his last message about controlling wholeness.)

Eetu

[Vyv Huddy 14.02.2017.1517]

Hi Eetu

Apologies I didn’t explain the change in title of my last post in that thread!
I wanted to ask if you had seen the question Bill Powers poses on p. 80 of B:CP and what you thought of it. I couldn’t come up with an answer I was satisfied with so decided
to cut it from my post but forgot to change the title … well, here it is a reminder in case it is of interest to you or others.

He poses a situation where someone has been captured by an alien monster who would only supply oxygen if the person solved certain algebraic equations. HIs question is whether breathing
would be higher in the persons perceptual hierarchy than solving the equations?

All the best

VYv

···

Sent: 14 February 2017 14:49
To: csgnet@lists.illinois.edu
Subject: Re: What is essential? {was What is Qi?]

Hi Eetu,

EP: As for the perceptual input, Bruce already answered that a living system could sense velocity with a single environmental variable.

VH: I’m not clear on that yet … but maybe Bruce can explain optic flow as a single environmental variable…
I’d be interested to see how this can be done in a way that is consistent with PCT. It seems describing it as a single variable makes it affordance like … some property of information in the environment.

EP: because of our needs of living we are always sensing a very large spectrum of variables which are then many ways mixed together and with memories in higher
level perceptions. Those higher level wholes than determine back to the reference levels and probably to input functions too.

(Perhaps Chad was referring to something like this in his last message about controlling wholeness.)

Eetu

No, but ones system concept is staying alive is?

···

Hi Eetu,

EP: because of our needs of living we are always sensing a very large spectrum of variables which are then many ways mixed together and with memories in higher
level perceptions. Those higher level wholes than determine back to the reference levels and probably to input functions too.

Eetu

Sounds right to me Warren!

···

Hi Eetu,

VH: I’m not clear on that yet
… but maybe Bruce can explain optic flow as a single environmental variable…

Eetu