What's "good" about PCT?

[Kenny Kitzke (2007.06.07)]

My perception is that PCT is “good” because it is the most accurate scientific description of how behavior works. “Good” in this sense merely means helpful and worthwhile in order to understand the behavior of living things.

However, being helpful and worthwhile are not descriptors of “good” or “bad” in an ethical sense of being “right” or “wrong.” PCT offers limited insight into ethics. The insight that it does provide is that living things want to, and in fact do, determine for themselves alone what is ethical, right and good. I believe this understanding is in accord with the teachings of the Bible for humans.

The “good” a person determines for themselves is expressed in PCT by their reference perceptions. They deal with all the physical and mental variables a human can experience. PCT/HPCT does a terrific job in explaining how behavior is a human’s attempt to control those variables to have what they perceive match the references they hold.

What PCT/HPCT seems to have difficulty explaining scientifically is how does a human establish their unique reference perceptions? I am reasonably convinced that there is a hierarchy (like the eleven levels Bill Powers has proffered) or a network from which references are set somehow even without any cognitive awareness.

The problem with this is not only how this actually takes place, but what happens to establish our highest level of human perception? It appears that there must be a different mechanism for the highest level than for the lower ones. A Reorganization System has been theorized. What this is physiologically in a human is quite a mystery and not well-modeled or tested.

What I conceive is that this property or aspect of human nature is a way to determine purpose and will for a self-concept or existence. It can be mere survival and may well be that for lower level life forms. But, for humans, purpose and will are broader than survival. Without a better model or more convincing explanation of how humans establish their will and purpose for living/controlling their perceptions, I can’t conceive of PCT capturing the attention of scientists.

It is wonderful to understand how we “drive a car.” But, what humans long for is an understanding of how to live a life of purpose that they will experience as “good” for themselves. The Bible does provide some insight on this but can it possibly be trusted as true? I hope anyone interested in this will be open to discuss it at the CSG Conference.

···

See what’s free at AOL.com.

My perception is that PCT is
“good” because it is the most accurate scientific description
of how behavior works. “Good” in this sense merely means
helpful and worthwhile in order to understand the behavior of living
things.
However, being helpful and
worthwhile are not descriptors of “good” or “bad” in
an ethical sense of being “right” or “wrong.”
PCT offers limited insight into ethics. The insight that it does
provide is that living things want to, and in fact do, determine for
themselves alone what is ethical, right and good. I believe this
understanding is in accord with the teachings of the Bible for
humans.
The problem with this is not
only how this actually takes place, but what happens to establish our
highest level of human perception? It appears that there must be a
different mechanism for the highest level than for the lower ones.
A Reorganization System has been theorized. What this is
physiologically in a human is quite a mystery and not well-modeled or
tested.
What I conceive is that this
property or aspect of human nature is a way to determine purpose and will
for a self-concept of existence. It can be mere survival and may
well be that for lower level life forms. But, for humans, purpose
and will are broader than survival. Without a better model or more
convincing explanation of how humans establish their will and purpose for
living/controlling their perceptions, I can’t conceive of PCT
capturing the attention of scientists.
It is wonderful to understand
how we “drive a car.” But, what humans long for is an
understanding of how to live a life of purpose that they will experience
as “good” for themselves.
[From Bill Powers (2007.06.30.0835 MDT)]

Kenny Kitzke (2007.06.07)

···

Hi, Kenny. I’m juggling a lot of balls right now but maybe a few
questions will get you started on your own exploration, or push a little
more in the direction you’re going.

So, why is it good to understand the behavior of living things? That
should lead to more “why” questions which you can follow as far
as they go.

Is being in accord with the teachings of the Bible for humans a good
thing? If so, why? Again, you can follow that line where it leads.

This is correct. It is also true of every other proposed explanation of
where the highest level (or any level) of perception comes from.

Scientists have not been noted for their interest in this subject one way
or the other. Mostly they have been interested in showing that purpose
and will do not exist. Yes, I know that wasn’t a question.

First, the questions. Why is it important to experience a life of
purpose? What’s good about that? If you can answer that question, there
is a higher level still.

Can you think of anything that you experience as “good” that is
not a match of a perception to some particular reference
condition?

I can: the reference condition. No matter what level my awareness is
identified with at the moment, the reference condition is known to me,
consciously, only as a feeling that some perception is as it ought to be,
or isn’t (and by how much) I don’t necessarily know exactly how it ought
to be, though if I can go up a level, I can see what that is. But
then there is another perception involved, which I am either happy with
or not, without knowing directly what the new reference condition is. I
speak partly from experience, partly from theory here.

At the highest level, awareness has no higher place to go – or if it
goes to a higher place, there is no level of control there to identify
with. Then I am conscious of the perceptions below, but have no reference
conditions: I just observe. There is That, and it is what it is. I
suspect (says my logic level, busily working it all out) that this is
what some people refer to as God Consciousness. From the viewpoint of any
lower system, it is something higher that is aware of them and tells them
directly what is good and bad, right and wrong, to be sought or to be
avoided. In other words, God is the higher systems that set the reference
conditions (or awareness itself that does). God is that center, always
the same, that I experience as myself, the Observing Self. But that seems
like God only when I am identifying with systems in the hierarchy. When
I’m outside the hierarchy, then it’s just me, the Observer. When I’m just
me, I don’t need to be told how wonderful I am. “Wonderful” is
an idea somewhere down there in the hierarchy, and liking to be
worshipped is also down there somewhere. Down here, that is, where my
Writing Posts Self is.

That wasn’t a question either, but the question is how it fits with your
experiences.

Best,

Bill P.

The Bible does provide some
insight on this but can it possibly be trusted as true? I hope
anyone interested in this will be open to discuss it at the CSG
Conference.

See what’s free at
AOL.com.

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.9.12/878 - Release Date: 6/28/2007
5:57 PM

[From Dick Robertson,2007.06.30.1712CDT]

···

----- Original Message -----
<KJKitzke@AOL.COM>
Date: Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:08 am
Subject: What's "good" about PCT?

I hope anyone interested
in this will
be open to discuss it at the CSG Conference.

Thoughtful post, and yeah, I would be. Second
question: Is anyone bringing their tennis racket for
afternoon break?

Dick R.

[From Kenny Kitzke(2007.06.30.2200EDT]

<Dick Robertson,2007.06.30.1712CDT>

<Thoughtful post, and yeah, I would be. Second
afternoon break?>

I would not miss our annual tennis match Dick. I control for it with high gain!

And, we can talk more about how human’s establish reference perceptions to define their purpose in living while simultaneously behaving to try to control the perceptions they experience to simulate those references.

cu in Minneapolis, racquet in hand.

Kenny

···

[From David Goldstein (2007.07.01.0802 EDT)]

Dear CSG tennis fans,
I am bringing my racket.
David

···

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU] On Behalf Of Robertson Richard
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 6:13 PM
To: CSGNET@LISTSERV.UIUC.EDU
Subject: Re: What's "good" about PCT?

[From Dick Robertson,2007.06.30.1712CDT]
----- Original Message -----
<KJKitzke@AOL.COM>
Date: Saturday, June 30, 2007 8:08 am
Subject: What's "good" about PCT?

I hope anyone interested
in this will
be open to discuss it at the CSG Conference.

Thoughtful post, and yeah, I would be. Second
afternoon break?

Dick R.

No virus found in this incoming message.
Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.9.14/880 - Release Date:
6/29/2007 2:15 PM

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.9.14/880 - Release Date:
6/29/2007 2:15 PM

[From Kenny Kitzke (2007.06.30.1630EDT)]

<Bill Powers (2007.06.30.0835 MDT)>

<Hi, Kenny. I’m juggling a lot of balls right now but maybe a few questions will get you started on your own exploration, or push a little more in the direction you’re going.>

Hi, Bill. I juggle too. But, I’ll try to answer.

My perception is that PCT is “good” because it is the most accurate scientific description of how behavior works. “Good” in this sense merely means helpful and worthwhile in order to understand the behavior of living things.

<So, why is it good to understand the behavior of living things?>

Two things come to mind:

a) The behavior of living things acts on my perceptions of myself.

b) I often wonder about my own behavior and how it acts on the perceptions of me by others.

<That should lead to more “why” questions which you can follow as far as they go.>

Sure it would. It is like a regression. And, I am not sure where it ends, if it does at all. It would take a great deal of time to try to annunciate it completely and I am not sure I could do it very well as the whys can get progressively more abstract.

The perception of the “knowledge of how behavior works” is already quite broad. It could have a dozen whys rather than just the two that first came to mind. And, each of those dozen whys may have a dozen whys. So, I suspect the question is essentially impossible to answer specifically and answering generally is not very satisfying.

For example, I may experience a knawing but unexplainable background yearning to understand as much natural phenomena as I can. That may be all the answer I need, but will that satisfy you? If you ask why do you have a knawing yearning Kenny, I may say because I am a human and such variables are hard-wired and inherent in my human nature. Would you ask another why?

I assume you agree with the premise that such understanding is “good” meaning worthwhile? What is your answer to why understanding the behavior of living things is “good” for you. I suspect that you have spent more time (and with greater gain) controlling such a “behavior knowledge” variable than I have? It must be perceived as very good/worthwhile to you?

I also suspect that your reasons may be unique to you and that everyone controlling for that perception does not necessarily have the same reference under control. If so, could we try to conclude that your references are good and mine are bad? Or, would we just agree they are different and that is okay?

However, being helpful and worthwhile are not descriptors of “good” or “bad” in an ethical sense of being “right” or “wrong.” PCT offers limited insight into ethics. The insight that it does provide is that living things want to, and in fact do, determine for themselves alone what is ethical, right and good. I believe this understanding is in accord with the teachings of the Bible for humans.

Is being in accord with the teachings of the Bible for humans a good thing? If so, why? Again, you can follow that line where it leads.

Sure I can. I have no doubt that it is “good” (meaning worthwhile) for me. For other humans, the choice is theirs; not mine.

The problem with this is not only how this actually takes place, but what happens to establish our highest level of human perception? It appears that there must be a different mechanism for the highest level than for the lower ones. A Reorganization System has been theorized. What this is physiologically in a human is quite a mystery and not well-modeled or tested.

I know you agree from previous discussions. But, I perceive there are “scientists” on this net who treat this theory as if it were proven fact. They rely on it and seek or propose “reorganization” as a solution to protracted conflict. You have suggested that this is a random process. Well, perhaps it is some times. But, I have viewed it as a term for learning different possible references. That learning can be from study, reflection, meditation, etc., and can be intentional and rational…quite the opposite of being random or “trial and error.”

<It is also true of every other proposed explanation of where the highest level (or any level) of perception comes from.>

That is your perspective. I doubt if you have studied and tested every other explanation. Do you even claim to know and understand my explanation and have found it no better than the one you find “good?”

What I conceive is that this property or aspect of human nature is a way to determine purpose and will for a self-concept of existence. It can be mere survival and may well be that for lower level life forms. But, for humans, purpose and will are broader than survival. Without a better model or more convincing explanation of how humans establish their will and purpose for living/controlling their perceptions, I can’t conceive of PCT capturing the attention of scientists.

<Scientists have not been noted for their interest in this subject one way or the other. Mostly they have been interested in showing that purpose and will do not exist. Yes, I know that wasn’t a question.>

Ha! That’s a gem. Does it apply to you? Can you speculate why you or those scientists would not be interested in the existence of “purpose?”

It is wonderful to understand how we “drive a car.” But, what humans long for is an understanding of how to live a life of purpose that they will experience as “good” for themselves.

<First, the questions. Why is it important to experience a life of purpose? What’s good about that? If you can answer that question, there is a higher level still.>

Hey, Bill, who has speculated more about a Twelfth Level of perception than me? In simple terms, the more your life had a purpose (beyond breathing and controlling perceptions) the more likely you perceive your life (and therefore your being) as having been worthwhile and not insignificant or even meaningless like a oak leaf.

<Can you think of anything that you experience as “good” that is not a match of a perception to some particular reference condition?>

No. But, that does not answer how the “particular reference condition” came into being.

<I can: the reference condition. No matter what level my awareness is identified with at the moment, the reference condition is known to me, consciously, only as a feeling that some perception is as it ought to be, or isn’t (and by how much) I don’t necessarily know exactly how it ought to be, though if I can go up a level, I can see what that is. But then there is another perception involved, which I am either happy with or not, without knowing directly what the new reference condition is. I speak partly from experience, partly from theory here.>

This is confusing to me. Perhaps you can find some time to expand on it with an example? You have introduced a “happy” perception here. My view is more along the lines that happiness is related more to the error than the reference. But, how can you experience error without knowing what the reference condition is?

<At the highest level, awareness has no higher place to go – or if it goes to a higher place, there is no level of control there to identify with. Then I am conscious of the perceptions below, but have no reference conditions: I just observe. There is That, and it is what it is. I suspect (says my logic level, busily working it all out) that this is what some people refer to as God Consciousness.>

That is possible but not necessary. I think the “self-concept” level is at the top in all human kind. It is hard wired in our genes. It has nothing directly to do with whether you have acquired a consciousness about a Creator or an Almighty spirit being.

<From the viewpoint of any lower system, it is something higher that is aware of them and tells them directly what is good and bad, right and wrong, to be sought or to be avoided. In other words, God is the higher systems that set the reference conditions (or awareness itself that does).>

I pretty much concur. I would call that a self-god; an internal aspect of human nature that somehow determines what is good or bad for me. The capitalized God is usually a reference to an external being.

<God is that center, always the same, that I experience as myself, the Observing Self. But that seems like God only when I am identifying with systems in the hierarchy. When I’m outside the hierarchy, then it’s just me, the Observer. When I’m just me, I don’t need to be told how wonderful I am. “Wonderful” is an idea somewhere down there in the hierarchy, and liking to be worshipped is also down there somewhere. Down here, that is, where my Writing Posts Self is.>

I can’t totally grasp what this Observer is in your scenario. It is as if there is a controlling-self and an observing-self that are distinct and operate separately. Are there two Kenny’s or one? Or, is there one Kenny that has two natures?

I totally agree that you do not need to be told by anyone how wonderful you are to feel wonderful. You can imagine it internally. But, I do agree that hearing that said (through our senses of the external world) sailing up the hierarchy of perception would make you feel “good” (again only in a worthwhile sense). However, if dropping a quarter in the Salvation Army kettle make me feel generous and feeling generous makes me feel like a good human, it will be disturbing if I hear someone mumble, "Did you see that guy get out of his BMW and drop a stinkin’ quarter in the pot!

<That wasn’t a question either, but the question is how it fits with your experiences.

Best,

Bill P.>

What fits with my experience is that somewhere in my consciousness I have some inbred wants and needs expressed in references like being respected or loved or having a purpose beyond feeling good about myself. The need to be loved or wanted is not something humans must learn from experience. Our experience tell us how well we are doing.

So my lower level references are established such as to try to achieve that reference purpose perception. I use different terms to describe these human attributes. My “heart” or human spirit probably serves the role of your Observer. By whatever name, they seem to fit our human experience. No?

Our Observer or heart somehow compares or tests for the “goodness” of our references for our life. The goodness of our behavior is determined by what we perceive compared to those references; how well/effectively we are able to control our perceptions.

Perhaps we can kick this around more with Dick and others at the Conference without the name-calling and labeling so often used by people who disagree with us? Plus, I was intrigued about your discussions with Phil about “death.” Is it merely physical or is there a metaphysical aspect to it? My impressions may surprise you because they do not fit the nominal Christian views. Perhaps it is too heavy a topic, but your MOL why questions would be quite interesting on a phenomena that we all expect to experience.

···

[From Rick Marken (2007.07.01.0930)]

Kenny Kitzke (2007.06.07) [I think this must have been posted on 6/27 -- RM]

The Bible does provide some insight on
this but can it possibly be trusted as true? I hope anyone interested in
this will be open to discuss it at the CSG Conference.

I'm open to starting a discussion of this here on CSGNet. I think it's
relevant to the exploration of levels of perception and control. I
would like to know how you know whether the bible can be trusted as
true. Don't worry, I'm not asking with any ulterior motive other than
to see how you think about this.

Best

Rick

···

--
Richard S. Marken PhD
Lecturer in Psychology
UCLA
rsmarken@gmail.com

[From Bill Powers (2007.07.01.1057 MDT)]

Kenny Kitzke
(2007.06.30.1630 EDT) –

<So, why is it good to understand
the behavior of living things?>

Two things come to mind:

a) The behavior of living things acts on my perceptions of myself.

b) I often wonder about my own behavior and how it acts on the
perceptions of me by others.

<That should lead to more “why” questions which you can
follow as far as they go.>

Sure it would. It is like a regression. And, I am not sure
where it ends, if it does at all. It would take a great deal of
time to try to annunciate it completely and I am not sure I could do it
very well as the whys can get progressively more
abstract.
The perception of the
“knowledge of how behavior works” is already quite broad.
It could have a dozen whys rather than just the two that first came to
mind. And, each of those dozen whys may have a dozen whys.
So, I suspect the question is essentially impossible to answer
specifically and answering generally is not very satisfying.
For example, I may experience a
knawing but unexplainable background yearning to understand as much
natural phenomena as I can. That may be all the answer I need, but
will that satisfy you? If you ask why do you have a knawing
yearning Kenny, I may say because I am a human and such variables are
hard-wired and inherent in my human nature. Would you ask another
why?
I assume you agree with the
premise that such understanding is “good” meaning
worthwhile? What is your answer to why understanding the
behavior of living things is “good” for you. I suspect
that you have spent more time (and with greater gain) controlling such a
“behavior knowledge” variable than I have? It must be
perceived as very good/worthwhile to you?

That’s a reasonable idea. But does the regression actually go on forever?
I think this depends on how you do it. If you stick to logical reasoning
you go around in circles, or to lower levels. But if you explore your own
thoughts and attitudes that come up as you ask yourself the questions,
rather than trying to reason it all out, you go in unexpected directions
and I don’t think the regression goes on very far. But that’s just my
experience. Each person has to find this out alone.

That’s the logical way to do it. Try a purely experiential way. Just ask,
“What is my actual attitude toward this, right now?”

Yes. I would ask, “As you consider this sense of yearning, what
thoughts come to you about it?” We’re talking about present-time
phenomena, not hypothetical or logical explanations. It’s not that kind
of “why”. I’m asking about the background thought that is
actually there, right now.

I feel several things about it.
One is a kind of joy when ideas start fitting together to make sense.
Another is regret that I have not quite enough brainpower or education to
model these complex things. Also, the state of NOT understanding is
upsetting and makes me doubt my abilities. I don’t like not
understanding; that’s a big error. I don’t know how much of this is
built-in and how much a result of my lifetime of experiences and
reorganization.
I also suspect that your reasons
may be unique to you and that everyone controlling for that perception
does not necessarily have the same reference under control. If so,
could we try to conclude that your references are good and mine are
bad? Or, would we just agree they are different and that is
okay?

They are different and that is life. Whether it’s OK or not depends on
just how different and what they lead to. For example, I differ with
certain adjherants of Islam about the apparent value they give to human
life, and their behavior is not OK with me. I’m not sure why they resort
so readily to indiscriminate slaughter (as do we to a somewhat lesser
extent), but I don’t really care why. I just would like them to stop it.
Stopping it, it seems to me, probably would involve changing the
reference conditions they seek. If that’s true, their references are not
OK with me, either. I don’t know if it’s true.

If references had no consequences that affect other people, everybody
could pick his own and differences would be unimportant. But people
interact and get into conflicts, so they can’t just say “do your own
thing.” To do your own thing freely, you would have to live by
yourself.

Is being in accord with the
teachings of the Bible for humans a good thing? If so, why? Again, you
can follow that line where it leads.

Sure I can. I have no
doubt that it is “good” (meaning worthwhile) for me. For
other humans, the choice is theirs; not mine.

So are you saying that the only effect of being in accord with the
teachings of the Bible is internal to you and involves nobody
else?

I have found many things in the Bible to agree with, particularly in the
writings about Jesus. However, I don’t see any reason to see a
supernatural hand in any of this, and I certainly can find a lot in the
Bible to disagree with (I abhore slavery, for example, and I don’t
believe in revenge or favoritism in families). My background thought is
that no matter what it says, I have to decide whether to accept or reject
any particular part of the Bible, which means I have to take the final
responsibility. I’m not ready to give a blanket yes or no to anything
said in that book.

But, I have viewed
[reorganization] as a term for learning different possible
references. That learning can be from study, reflection,
meditation, etc., and can be intentional and rational…quite the
opposite of being random or “trial and error.”

Yes, one of the results of reorganization is to develop systematic
ways of learning which are much faster and surer, but much more likely to
get stuck in ruts and to be applied inappropriately simply because they
aren’t creative (I refer to learning from what others say and write). I
do not find reflection and meditation to be intentional and rational,
however (except for the process of starting to do them). The new creative
ideas that arise from reflection and meditation seem to me to be exactly
the kind that we would expect from reorganization. They are new and
unexpected ideas that could not be predicted rationally. They are not
intentional because we don’t create them by our own effort: they arise
spontaneously. They are unrelated to any systematic way of generating
ideas, which is what I mean by “random.” Also, some of the
results of meditation and reflection are good, but most turn out to be
impractical, unworkable, or counter to good sense, and are discarded. So
I have no problem with putting them down to reorganization.

<It [lack of explanation] is also
true of every other proposed explanation of where the highest level (or
any level) of perception comes from.>
That is your
perspective. I doubt if you have studied and tested every other
explanation. Do you even claim to know and understand my
explanation and have found it no better than the one you find
“good?”

I’ve probably considered as many as you have (background thought – a
little competitive, are we William?). I have heard many propositions, but
essentially nothing about how you go about testing them to see if they
hold up. Apparently, having a seemingly plausible idea is enough to
convince some people that it came from God and therefore must be true.
But I don’t accept that as a criterion of proof. I want to see evidence
and I want to know how the reasoning about the evidence is organized, and
most of all I want to see experiments in which you say “If this idea
is right, then if I do X I would have to perceive Y as a result.”
And if you do X and Y doesn’t happen, you have to change the idea. Those
are the rules I play by, because I have tried lots of rules and find that
the rules of science work the best.

What I conceive is that this
property or aspect of human nature is a way to determine purpose and will
for a self-concept of existence. It can be mere survival and may
well be that for lower level life forms. But, for humans, purpose
and will are broader than survival. Without a better model or more
convincing explanation of how humans establish their will and purpose for
living/controlling their perceptions, I can’t conceive of PCT
capturing the attention of scientists.

<Scientists have not been noted for their interest in this subject one
way or the other. Mostly they have been interested in showing that
purpose and will do not exist. Yes, I know that wasn’t a
question.>

Ha! That’s a gem. Does it apply to you?

PCT is all about purpose: that’s what a reference signal is. As to will,
PCT has nothing to say about it, just as it doesn’t explain awareness. We
have to try to fit the phenomena of will and awareness in with PCT so
there is some kind of orderliness in the relationship. That is what MOL
is about. The hierarchy is what we are aware of. Awareness is what we are
aware with. Will or volition is still fuzzy in my mind. We can do
arbitrary acts, but they are always in the context of the brain’s
hierarchy and use its machinery, and are subject to conflicts with other
parts of the hierarchy. There is some resemblance to reorganization. I
don’t see at present any way to understand volition better, so I’m
content to leave that problem on the shelf for someone else to figure
out. I’m not going to pretend I can explain these things. I just try not
to ignore them.

Can you speculate why you or those
scientists would not be interested in the existence of
“purpose?”

It is wonderful to understand
how we “drive a car.” But, what humans long for is an
understanding of how to live a life of purpose that they will experience
as “good” for themselves.

<First, the questions. Why is it important to experience a life of
purpose? What’s good about that? If you can answer that question, there
is a higher level still.>

Hey, Bill, who has speculated more about a Twelfth Level of perception
than me? In simple terms, the more your life had a purpose (beyond
breathing and controlling perceptions) the more likely you perceive your
life (and therefore your being) as having been worthwhile and not
insignificant or even meaningless like a oak leaf.

<Can you think of anything that you experience as “good”
that is not a match of a perception to some particular reference
condition?>

No. But, that does not answer how the “particular reference
condition” came into being.

Well, I believe in it fully. I think other scientists reject the idea
because they think there’s something mystical about it, or that we’re
talking about God’s Purpose for us rather than our own purposes.

It’s adjusted by the next level up, you know that. Reference conditions
are dynamically varied as required to maintain higher-level perceptions
and oppose disturbances of higher-level perceptions. We would expect to
see constant reference conditions only at the highest level where there
is no higher system to alter them. And constant" is relative: there
is still the slow process of reorganization.

What you’re really asking, I think, is where perceptions come from. A
reference condition is just one possible value a perception can take on,
between zero and the maximum that can occur. All I know about that is
that there must be different sorts of perceptual input functions at
different levels, but I can’t go farther than that.

No matter what level my
awareness is identified with at the moment, the reference condition is
known to me, consciously, only as a feeling that some perception is as it
ought to be, or isn’t (and by how much) I don’t necessarily know exactly
how it ought to be, though if I can go up a level, I can see what
that is. But then there is another perception involved, which I am either
happy with or not, without knowing directly what the new reference
condition is. I speak partly from experience, partly from theory
here.>

This is confusing to me. Perhaps you can find some time to expand
on it with an example? You have introduced a “happy”
perception here. My view is more along the lines that happiness is
related more to the error than the reference. But, how can you
experience error without knowing what the reference condition
is?

The key is in the word “you” (or “I”). According to
HPCT, there are many control systems acting at many levels at the same
time. We are aware of only a few of them. Those control systems contain
error signals and act to correct them whether we are aware of it or not.
They don’t need to be told by higher systems that a disturbance has
occurred, or that they need to act to oppose it. I may or may not
consciously experience error, or the results of error (which I
think is more truthful). But the control systems will still act to
correct the error.

I have pretty much concluded that we don’t experience error signals
themselves. What we experience are the sensory consequences of
lower-order system acting to oppose errors. Well, maybe
“concluded” is a little strong. I’m seriously considering that
possibility, until some example occurs to me that shows it’s
wrong.

<At the highest level, awareness
has no higher place to go – or if it goes to a higher place, there is no
level of control there to identify with. Then I am conscious of the
perceptions below, but have no reference conditions: I just observe.
There is That, and it is what it is. I suspect (says my logic level,
busily working it all out) that this is what some people refer to as God
Consciousness.>

That is possible but not necessary. I think the
“self-concept” level is at the top in all human kind. It
is hard wired in our genes. It has nothing directly to do with
whether you have acquired a consciousness about a Creator or an Almighty
spirit being.

Well, there our ideas are quite different. I have defined the system
concept level in my own mind (and on paper) to include perceptions of
any “system” – any organized entity of any kind. So not
only do we perceive a self at that level, but several selves, and not
only selves, but personalities of other people, and not only
personalities, but organized ideas like physics and mathematics and
government. Any organised entity. Heise, I believe, describes his
“identity theory” as belonging to my system concepts level. So
a concept of a supernatural being would also be a system concept at the
same level, a system concept that is founded on religious principles
rather than scientific, social, or individual principles (at the next
lower level). God is, first of all, a perception.

I’m going to skip a bit – getting tired.

God is that center, always the same,
that I experience as myself, the Observing Self. But that seems like God
only when I am identifying with systems in the hierarchy. When I’m
outside the hierarchy, then it’s just me, the Observer. When I’m just me,
I don’t need to be told how wonderful I am. “Wonderful” is an
idea somewhere down there in the hierarchy, and liking to be worshipped
is also down there somewhere. Down here, that is, where my Writing Posts
Self is>

I can’t totally grasp what this Observer is in your
scenario.

It is the one who knows you can’t grasp it. It’s the one who experiences
whatever you experience, including your self. It’s the one watching as
you read this, knowing that reading is happening but not doing the
reading.

It is as if there is a
controlling-self and an observing-self that are distinct and operate
separately. Are there two Kenny’s or one? Or, is there one
Kenny that has two natures?

The controlling self is in the hierarchy at one or more of the highest
levels (but we can also be aware of lower level acts of control). The
Observing self has access to all levels, and can temporarily identify
with systems at a few levels. It is the Observing self that goes up (or
down) a level; the controlling levels stay where they are.

What makes Kenny different from Bill is the two hierarchies. I don’t know
if the observing selves are alike or different. All of my characteristics
that I can consciously observe are in the hierarchy: at least they’re
quite certainly not in the Observer, because I can observe them,
“over there.”

This is very much a mental model, an attempt to communicate what I
experience. I don’t think the word “true” applies to it one way
or the other.

That’s about all I’'m good for today.

Best,

Bill P.