What's missing from autonomous vehicles

[Rick Marken 2019.04.05. 0900]

I got this from one of my high tech friends. Any idea what the problem might be from a PCT perspective?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/researchers-trick-tesla-autopilot-into-steering-into-oncoming-traffic/

Best

Rick

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ

"Perfection is achieved not when you have nothing more to add, but when you
have nothing left to take away.�
                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"autopilot uses a function … to detect lanes and update an internal map "

Don’t really need to read much farther than that.

···

On Fri, Apr 5, 2019 at 12:05 PM Richard Marken csgnet@lists.illinois.edu wrote:

[Rick Marken 2019.04.05. 0900]

I got this from one of my high tech friends. Any idea what the problem might be from a PCT perspective?

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/04/researchers-trick-tesla-autopilot-into-steering-into-oncoming-traffic/

Best

Rick

Richard S. MarkenÂ

[Rick Marken 2019-04-05_21:22:57]

"autopilot uses a function … to detect lanes and update an internal map "

BN: Don’t really need to read much farther than that.

RM: I don’t think the building up of an internal map was a problem… What struck me about the article was that these "self driving"cars have very good “low level” control systems; indeed, the method of “fooling” the car was based on understanding that the car had a very good system for remaining in a lane using control of optical variables. What I think the problem was from a PCT perspective – the reason the car could be “fooled” into changing lanes into oncoming traffic – is that the car wasn’t controlling the higher level variables that a real driver is controlling when driving a car. I think these “higher level” variables are what are called “situational awareness” in aviation. They are the reason why a real person has to ultimately be in control even in highly automated systems. These are the perceptions – such as the perception of carrying out a program or following some principle – that are presently impossible for machines to have; but when they have them, that will be the game changer, for better or, more likely, worse.Â

BestÂ

Rick

Â

···

Richard S. MarkenÂ